AoM Month of Sandwiches Day #1: The Breakfast Reuben

by Brett on April 1, 2013 · 19 comments

in Cooking, Food & Drink, Travel & Leisure

finished

Welcome to the first day of the Art of Manliness Month of Sandwiches!

A few weeks ago I published my suggestions on upgrading the humble bologna sandwich. At the end of the post I asked readers to leave a comment with their favorite sandwich recipe. 483 of you deliciously delivered. Jeremy (AoM’s newish editor and community manager) and I then combed through all of the sandwich submissions and picked 20 that we’re going to highlight during April. Each weekday this month you’ll find a new delicious sandwich recipe complete with photo instructions on how to construct it. I’m really looking forward to this. I’ve already made a few of these user-submitted sandwiches and all of them have been fantastic. Hopefully you’ll glean some new ideas to add to your sammich repertoire.

At the end of the series we plan to compile all the sandwich submissions into an epic man-sandwich recipe book.

A note to all those who shared a sandwich I’m going to be highlighting: I know I won’t make it as well as you, with all your exact signature touches. This is just one guy’s first-time go at it.

Today’s Sandwich: The Breakfast Reuben by Dan W.

I love breakfast and I love Reubens, so I had high hopes for this sandwich. Did Dan W. let me down? Let’s find out.

The Ingredients ingredients

• Rye bread. Marbled is Dan’s preferred rye of choice, but he says dark or light rye work great, too. I couldn’t find any marbled rye, so I just went with dark.
  • Swiss cheese or emmentaler (I used Swiss)
  • 1 egg
  • Pastrami, corn beef, and roast beef (I just used a bit of pastrami and corn beef)
  • Horseradish sauce
  • Ketchup
  • Sauerkraut

Step 1: Fry Your Egg

fry

This is what makes the Breakfast Reuben a Breakfast Reuben. Fry up an over-medium egg. Dan suggests keeping the yolk a little runny. Don’t know how to cook an over-medium egg? Check out our comprehensive guide on how to cook eggs.

Step 2: Place Cheese and Egg on Piece of Rye Bread

eggcheese

I over-cooked the egg a little. Oh well.

Step 3: Layer Meats and Kraut

meatkraut

Add your pastrami, corn beef, and roast beef. Be as generous as you want. Top it off with a big heap of sauerkraut.

Step 4: Add Ketchup and Horseradish Sauce

sauce

Add your “Russian Sauce” by squirting some ketchup and horseradish sauce on top of your glorious pile of cheese, egg, meat, and kraut. I could have taken the extra step of mixing the ketchup and horseradish sauce together, but I was hungry.

Step 5: Top with Bread

finished

Ain’t she a beaut?

Step 6: Eat!

eating1

Taster’s Thoughts

This is a solid sandwich. Savory and filling. The addition of a fried egg to a traditional Reuben sandwich is a deft touch. Despite being called the “Breakfast Reuben,” I probably wouldn’t eat this sandwich for breakfast. It’s too salty for my tastes to start my day off with. It’s a great sammy for a lazy Saturday lunch, though. Two thumbs up!

1 Nate C. April 1, 2013 at 4:26 pm

It would make sense to me to fry the corn beef and pastrami also. Frying brings out the flavors in the meat. Plus, who wants hot egg and cold meat on the same sandwich??

2 sb April 1, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Brett–I like it! although I would opt to run the whole thing through the panini grill to toast the bread and warm it up.

Keep your sammy posts coming, my wife needs something to do!

3 Spence April 1, 2013 at 6:59 pm

I agree with the saltiness issue. I love sauerkraut but I recently cured my own corn beef (worth all seven days and then some) and then made some Rubens of my own. I utilized the cabbage (drained so as not to make the bread soggy) cooked in the liquid used to cook the beef instead of sauerkraut. Not traditional I know, but delicious and far less salty. I also take the time to mix homemade mayo, prepared horseradish and siracha for an outstanding dipping sauce sauce (Again, you can put it on the sandwich after pan toasting your smich but I like the dip). And yeah, you gotta heat those ingredients and toast that baby in a little high quality butter and olive oil. And dude, Brett, you murdered that egg!

4 Josh April 1, 2013 at 7:13 pm

I agree with Nate. Create the sandwich in two halves and fry both sides of each half, then add the egg.

5 JeffC April 1, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Ketchup on a Reuben?
Flag on this play.

6 Adam Clark April 2, 2013 at 7:33 am

Is the bread toasted? I always prefer rye when it’s toasted. Man, this sounds like a great sandwich, I love horseradish, but it sounds like a lot in the morning! I’ll have to try it out though.

7 craig April 2, 2013 at 8:47 am

It’s not a reuben if it’s not grilled, mate.

8 Patrick April 2, 2013 at 9:04 am

Nate and Jeff are both right… You’ve got to put a little fry on the meat and nix the ketchup. Ketchup is for french fries and getting kids to eat something they don’t like. Period.

9 Greg Walker April 2, 2013 at 1:30 pm

I would have to go with the original, the contrast between hot and cold would make it a better sensation for your mouth rather than having everything at the same temperature.

10 Mark N. April 3, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Brett, thank you so much for doing this sandwich project! What a fun way to bring a bunch of men together, focused on one goal…messy fingers and faces and full bellies! I am enjoying each day so far.

11 John April 3, 2013 at 3:27 pm

That looks REALLY darned good. I’d skip the ketchup, though.

I also wish to point out that, *by definition,* a Reuben CANNOT have cheese on it, nor many kinds of horseradish sauce.

12 mateo April 3, 2013 at 4:17 pm

@John,
“CANNOT have cheese”???
Where is that from?

13 John April 3, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Meat and dairy in the same meal is not kosher, naturally. :)

14 Brandon April 3, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Reubens don’t typically have pastrami or ketchup….not real ones at least.

15 Pug April 4, 2013 at 8:10 am

I agree about the ketchup, that sounds nasty. I might put a little on one bite to just give it a shot to be open minded.

I hear you guys on it needing to be heated, no ketchup or horseradish, etc because it’s not a Reuben unless you do, but isn’t the purpose of these articles is to give us new ideas to try? Maybe if they change the name to Breakfast “Reuben”. I will gicve it a shot how they suggested, then adjust.

16 Aaron April 10, 2013 at 1:45 pm

That is one magnificent sandwich! One caveat to those who want to grill this beast (like I did) is to grill it and then open it up and lay the egg inside. The yolk is too fragile to remain intact otherwise.

To those who are anti-ketchup, understand that it is an ingredient in most Russian dressing recipes. Brett’s example – via Dan W. – is a simplified and deconstructed homemade Russian dressing.

17 Ernst April 10, 2013 at 5:26 pm

I love the Month of Sandwiches. This got me thinking about the snacks that are often consumed while playing video games so i had to continue your concept on my site and I provided a link to your Sandwich post as my inspiration Thank you EJ

18 Pete April 21, 2013 at 9:43 am

Swiss cheese is another name for Emmentaler.

19 Scott June 2, 2013 at 9:57 pm

I do Thousand Island dressing on my Reuben, that’s the only way I’ve ever heard till now…nobody else?