AoM Month of Sandwiches Day #14: The PB&J Hot Dog

by Jeremy Anderberg on April 18, 2013 · 13 comments

in Cooking, Food & Drink, Travel & Leisure

IMG_0939

Welcome to Day #14 of the AoM sandwich project. Last month we asked readers for their best sandwich recommendations. Out of 483 submissions, we picked 20 to highlight here on the site each weekday during the month of April. At the end, we’ll publish all the entries into an epic man-sandwich cookbook. Enjoy.

Today’s Sandwich: The PB&J Hot Dog by Scott

We got A LOT of submissions for PB&J variations. I honestly can’t tell you why, but this one caught my attention — I suppose because it seemed a little more “out there” than the other submissions. But at the same time, peanut butter and jelly are both fairly common ingredients at fun burger places, so I figured why not try it with a different variant of meat: the hot dog. I modified the recipe just a little, as to combine a couple different ideas from readers, but Scott deserves all the credit here for the idea. Let’s see how it holds up.

Ingredients

IMG_0932

• 2 slices sandwich bread
  • 2 hot dogs
  • Peanut butter (I prefer creamy)
  • Jam (I went with blackberry)
  • Butter

Step 1: Cut Hot Dogs Lengthwise and Fry

Cut it right down the middle lengthwise.

Cut it right down the middle lengthwise.

You'll end up with four slices of hot dog. Throw 'em on a skillet for a few minutes (no picture, sorry).

You’ll end up with four slices of hot dog. Throw ‘em on a skillet for a few minutes (no picture, sorry).

Fried up hot dogs. Scott mentioned applying pressure so they don't curl up. Good advice. I turned my back on them and they had curled up. Applying some pressure at that point was just fine though and they retained a mostly normal shape.

Fried up hot dogs. Scott mentioned applying pressure so they don’t curl up. Good advice. I turned my back on them and they had curled up. Applying some pressure at that point was just fine though and they retained a mostly normal shape.

Step 2: Apply Peanut Butter and Jam to Bread

I buttered one side of the bread (for grilled cheese-style grilling), then flipped over and gave one piece jam and the other piece peanut butter.

Step 3: Grill

First up, the slice of peanut buttered bread.

This is where I deviated from Scott’s recipe. His suggestion was to just toast the bread, and then apply the PB&J and hot dogs. We had quite a few reader suggestions, however, for a grilled PB&J. So I combined the two ideas. First up on the skillet, the slice of peanut buttered bread.

Then the hot dog slices. The four pieces perfectly cover the piece of bread. Then slap on the jellied piece of bread. Cook just like you would a grilled cheese. It's a little tricky to flip, so be prepared.

Then the hot dog slices. The four pieces have perfect coverage. Then slap on the jellied piece of bread. Cook just like you would a grilled cheese. It’s a little tricky to flip, so be prepared.

Final Product

IMG_0939

Taster’s Notes

IMG_0941

This was quite an interesting sandwich. Logistically, it was super messy. Grilling up peanut butter and jelly makes it all gooey and sloppy. I wasn’t in love with the hot dog, but it definitely wasn’t bad. This would be a good sandwich if you’re doing yardwork on a weekend and want something quick and easy, but a little heartier than just PB&J. It seemed like more prep than it really was — probably 10 minutes total, if that. It also has ingredients that any good man would regularly have in his house: peanut butter, jam, and hot dogs. It’s like two great American traditions rolled into one sandwich.

1 Chris April 18, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Seems obvious, but I just want to point out that the Fat content of this sandwich is easily over 60 grams.

Source: Generally speaking, hot dogs are usually 15g of fat each and that is also the same fat content in a tablespoon of Peanut butter. 2 Hot Dogs plus at least 2 tablespoons of peanut butter means one fatty sandwhich. Good suggestion for a yard work meal.

2 Dan Jones April 18, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I prefer the Grilled Cheese hotdog. Basically the same thing as above, but use cheese instead of peanut butter and jelly.

3 Lance April 18, 2013 at 5:33 pm

This is the first sandwich this month that just looks gross. But you know? Somehow I still want to try it.

4 Rocky S April 18, 2013 at 6:50 pm

What an interesting combination. Seems like something an 8 year old would come up with, but at the same time I have a feeling it would be quite delicious and very easy to make. Must try soon!

5 Scott April 18, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Wow! I had no idea you had picked my entry for the AoM Month of Sandwiches project! I just happened to come across this tonight as I was catching up on my reading. Thanks for picking my suggestion. I have loved this sandwich since I was a little kid. I will admit it does sound a bit gross, but man, is it awesome!

6 Jeremy Anderberg April 18, 2013 at 9:20 pm

@Scott – It was my pleasure to try it. As others said, it seems kinda funky at first, but it even grows on me the more I think about it. Have you ever grilled it like I did? Or have you always just toasted the bread?

7 Scott April 18, 2013 at 9:41 pm

@Jeremy — I have never tried grilling it. Nothing against that approach, though. I guess the thought of grilling it never really occurred to me. Maybe that’s because the bread is always in the toaster while the dogs are frying. By the time the dogs are done, the toast is prepped and the sandwich gets assembled right away. My need to try it grilled next time. You know, for research purposes.

8 Dak April 18, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I got a weird one similar in some ways to this. .
2 slices of wheat bread
2 tbs of peanut butter
handfull of Wavy Lays chips
Bologna
Cheese

spread it on one slice of bread, then pile on the chips. Prep the other side as well with the bologna and cheese on top. Combine and crush some. Then, eat. I little weird, but the saly and savory is there.

9 Justin April 22, 2013 at 3:29 am

I don’t ever buy hotdogs. Occasionally, I’ll buy good-quality sausages to grill, but I wouldn’t use those in this recipe.

In your list of sandwiches, this would probably be the last I’d try.

10 cementtruck April 22, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I actually like a slice of cheese on my PB&J. Usually I use Strawberry Jam (not Grape Jelly) and cheap American cheese, but I figure Smoked Cheddar, Gouda, or maybe Asiago, might be a culinary upgrade.

Another sandwich I enjoy is a tuna melt with salsa or picante sauce.

Fried Hotdogs have no place in a good PB&J; They belong in oatmeal. I hate oatmeal and they cover up the flavor and texture nicely.

11 Rick F April 27, 2013 at 9:07 am

Sounds like something I used to make back in the 70′s when I smoked a lot of pot. Made sense then but so did a lot of other things that I don’t consider smart 35 years later.

12 Kyle April 29, 2013 at 10:34 am

Same process but make it grilled cheese and cook cut up bacon with the hotdog and throw everything on some sourdough. Delicious.

13 Andrew May 5, 2013 at 11:34 am

I actually like a variation of this quite a lot. You could consider it a little more “grown-up” because it basically just swaps out ingredients. Instead of using creamy peanut butter, hot dogs, and white bread, try it with homemade nut butter (I like cashew or almond butter for this and it’s extremely easy to make), sausage, and sourdough bread. I like bratwurst cooked in Guinness, myself. The malty Guinness gives a good transition from savory to sweet.