The Company Man’s Guide to Starting a Side Hustle — Part I: Confronting Your Objections

by A Manly Guest Contributor on July 30, 2012 · 55 comments

in Money & Career

Editor’s note: This is Part 1 of a 2 part series by Tyler Tervooren of Advanced Riskology, creator of The Bootstrapper Guild.

It’s a rare man that doesn’t—at some juncture of his life—stop to question how things might be different if he worked for himself. Even a man who loves his job occasionally wonders what it might be like to strike out on his own and follow some crazy, half-baked notion.

Self-employment is a dream held by many men but acted on by few.

The reasons for this are many, but from my vantage point, most of the reasons practical men decide never to give themselves a chance to start their own side hustle is because much of what we learn about it—at least in The U.S.—comes from television shows, movies, and the media rather than people who actually run businesses.

In my short life so far, I’ve run four different very-small-businesses (I call them micro-businesses) and I can say, without doubt, that the way they came to be do not match any fairytale seen on TV.

They were small. They were incredibly cheap to start. And, to most people besides me, they were boring! No fancy business models, sexy offices downtown, or intriguing business cards—just a product or service that people wanted.

If you’ve ever entertained a dream like this yourself, I argue that most of the objections you have to just getting started may not be actual objections at all. Instead, they may be objections to what you think you have to do start something on your own.

The truth may be quite different.

Time to Confront Your Objections

In my experience so far, many men have three main objections when it comes to starting their own side hustle. Ask yourself if one (or more) of these complaints is what’s holding you back.

1. Starting a business takes a lot of time, and I don’t have any.
  2. It’s expensive to start a business, and I don’t have the cash available.
  3. I don’t have a good idea for a business.

If any of those complaints come to mind when you think about starting a side hustle, then you’re in luck right now because we’re going to systematically debunk all three of them.

Let’s get started.

I don’t have the time to start a side hustle.

Creating a business from nothing is truly a labor of love, and one that takes some commitment. In fact, I don’t know anyone who’s started a business and found that things went far easier or faster than they expected.

If you have a demanding job, a family, a life outside of work, or all of the above, this is a real concern. Where are you going to find the hours and hours it takes to create a meaningful income with all of these commitments?

The truth is that you will have to make some changes to how you use your time, but probably not as drastically as you think.

Here’s the good news: A new business only demands a lot of time if you’re attached to the idea that it must be built quickly.

In the book, Outliers, Malcolm Gladwell talks about the 10,000 hours theory—that almost anyone can master a skill if they dedicate 10,000 hours to it. The same is true for your side hustle. If you put in enough hours—into the right places (we’ll get to this later)—then you can build a successful side hustle, too.

The rate at which you put these hours in is up to you. Yes, if you go slower, then it will take longer. But compared to your other option—doing nothing at all—what’s the hurry?

Here’s the tried and true technique I use to put the necessary time into any new project without overwhelming myself:

Set aside 20 minutes—no more!— every single day to work on your project, and protect those 20 minutes with everything you have. Never let anything get in the way of this time.

This does two things:

1. It sets the habit of working on your project a little bit every day.
  2. It gets you started each day, and you usually end up motivated to work much longer.

I’m too broke to start a business.

A micro-business, done right, should rarely cost more than $100 to get started. When you’re starting a business, the easiest thing to do is think about all the things you wish you had that would make running it easy and enjoyable—an office, lots of expensive electronics, maybe a few employees or expensive services that automate pieces of your business.

The funny (and sad) thing about all of these business “necessities” is that they are—at least in the beginning—much more effective at destroying a business than making it successful.

Why? Because these are the fun and sexy things about running a business. They’re the status symbols you use to tell others, “Hey, look at me. I have a business!”

They distract from the real important part of running a micro-business: making money. And, just like keeping up with The Joneses will probably get your family in financial trouble, it will jeopardize your little business, too.

We all love to hear stories about the risk-takers with a dream that sold everything they owned, took out massive loans, and started the “next big thing.”

These are the stories that catch our attention. But they account for an extremely small percentage of successful businesses. And the reason we love them is because the odds of success are so incredibly small. That makes them easy to keep in “fantasy mode.”

A micro-business does not need to be run this way. It’s possible to create a meaningful income with far less risk.

At the end of the day, the only things you need to make money in a micro-business are:

1. Something to sell.
  2. A group of people who want what you’re offering.
  3. A way to collect money.

That’s it. No fancy bells and whistles. No complicated business techniques, strategies, or elaborate business plans.

If you want to be a cobbler and sell handmade shoes, all you really need to get started are the raw materials for the first pair, enough tools to make that pair of shoes, and one single customer to buy them. You should be able to procure these things for less than $100.

If you can’t, you’re thinking too far ahead. Even the biggest companies in the world—think Coca Cola—needed very little to get off the ground: a few ingredients, something to put them in, and a place to sell the finished product.

I don’t have a good enough idea to start a business.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned and relearned (several times) in my career starting and building micro-businesses is that the idea—typically seen as the Holy Grail—is far less important than we like to make it out to be.

So far, I’ve been a landscaper with one client, a ticket scalper, a freelance farm hand, an amateur guitar dealer, and now a writer. Two things all of these little businesses have in common are:

1. They’re not incredibly unique or earth shattering.
  2. They never got started until I got over the fact that they aren’t incredibly unique or earth shattering.

A common characteristic I see in many people trying to start their first business is that they give far too much credit to the value of their idea. If it’s not an earth shattering, ultra-unique, never-seen-before business model, then it’s not good enough.

Don’t get me wrong, I used to think this way also. Sometimes I still do, and I need a reminder from someone far more accomplished than me that I’m “thinking wrong.”

Once you’ve started a few business projects, you begin to see that the idea you start with is far less important than what you do with it.

I credit Derek Sivers with explaining this concept much better than I could.

The truth about your business idea is that it’s virtually worthless. If you hold some sort of romantic notion about this, let me crush it right now with a simple challenge:

Take the greatest business idea you’ve ever come up with, and list it for sale on eBay. See how many bids you get for it and just how much cash it brings in. My educated guess is “none.”

This is because an idea is worthless without a multiplier—something to be added to it that exponentially improves its value. In this case, that multiplier is effort, or execution.

Once you bring your idea to life, then it’s worth something. Once you’ve proven that it works, then someone might be willing to pay for it.

The most brilliant idea in the world with terrible execution might fail miserably and make no money at all—it happens all the time. On the other end of the spectrum, someone with a strong work ethic and the will to succeed can take a very average idea and make quite a lot of money with it.

These days, when I hear someone say “I don’t have an excellent business idea,” my immediate response is, “Good! How about an average one?”

To successfully start your own side hustle, you eventually have to stop thinking about the idea and just get to work. An additional benefit is that the faster you do this, the less time you’ll spend convincing yourself you need a whole bunch of extra things to get started.

Win/win!

The First Step to Starting any Side Hustle…

Before work can truly begin on any side hustle, the first thing a man must do is slay his own objections.

This week, spend some time deliberately thinking about all the barriers you’ve created for yourself. Think about the legitimate concerns you have when you tell yourself you want to start your own micro-business.

Then, think about the many creative ways there are to get around them. You now have a work-around for some of the biggest ones. What’s left for you to confront? More importantly, how will you confront them?

Read Part II: Think Big, Act Small
Bonus! Be Your Own Boss: 37 Side Hustle Ideas
_________________________________

Do-It-Yourself entrepreneur Tyler Tervooren writes at Advanced Riskology, a site dedicated to living a better life through risk-taking. He’s also the creator of The Bootstrapper Guild, a program for DIY entrepreneurs to start their first micro-business.

1 Paul Jones July 30, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Love this article. Recently started my own little “side hustle” while completing my medical residency. Some think I am crazy (including my self some days) but over time I learned some of the lessons you mentioned above. When I took the pressure off myself and realized that I could devote small amounts of time to this project each day I began to see progress. Now it is an interesting hobby on the side providing me with an invaluable education in the real world of business.

2 Chris Butterworth July 30, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I like how simple you make these concepts seem, especially Gladwell’s10,000 hours rule, and I appreciate the reminder.

I’m almost 3 months into my new(est) project, FitnessGazette.net. My traffic is growing nicely, but I wonder every day about when I’m going to hit my goals – X visitors in 6 months? 9 months? 18 months? The point is it doesn’t really matter – I’ll keep adding to it, and the numbers will keep growing – they’ll get there when they get there.

This was a good reminder and motivator in one – thanks!

3 Chris Butterworth July 30, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I like this post on a couple different levels..

1.) It’s such good advice for anyone thinking about doing something on their own, and you make it so easy to digest. No need to get overwhelmed. Don’t over-think it. Just do it, a little bit at a time.

2.) For me personally, I’m almost 3 months into my new(est) project, a fitness website called FitnessGazette.net. My traffic numbers are growing nicely, but I’m constantly wondering when I’ll hit X number of visitors – 6 months? 9 months? 18 months? I like your reference to Gladwell’s 10,000 hours rule – I’ll keep doing what I’m doing, and the numbers will get there when they get there.

Thanks!

4 Joey July 30, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Great article! Now that I think of my situation in the way you presented, I have a few ideas that I have been meaning to do, but never “taken them across the finish line.”

Thanks!

5 Son of the Stache July 30, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Great post can’t wait for the next installment. I have been thinking along these lines lately, and I love the idea of a “side hustle” vs. a job on the side, makes being more financially responsible a little more… cool…

6 Jonathan July 30, 2012 at 9:12 pm

This is a great post!
I love how you said not to focus on an earth shattering Idea. It is true. There is a business here that re-purposes old lamps. Not necessarily earth shattering, but he is doing what he loves and is a success.
If you do what you love you will be successful at it, no matter what it is.
I make wooden rings for a living as the owner of Chasing Victory. Its not earth shattering, but I am taken care of. I love what I do and I realize that I am not here for myself but for others. When you realize its not about you making tons of money with the next “big idea” but to share your gifting, no matter how small, with everyone else… you will surely be a success.
Great post! I look forward to part 2! Thank you guys for what you do. Im always inspired!

7 Benjamin Quinn July 30, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Great post. You have to put your objections aside and get started no matter how long the road may be. I’ve learned to relax and grow my side hustle slowly, making sure to stop and enjoy the process along the way. http://www.thestudiopub.com (my side hustle)

8 David July 30, 2012 at 10:30 pm

great article. I love the idea of trying to run my own side business or even a micro business. I have so many ideas that I’d like to at least attempt before the end of my life. We shall see though.

9 Greg M July 31, 2012 at 12:18 am

If I’m not mistaken, AOM had its beginnings as a “side hustle” during Brett’s time at law school (along with another blog, too!). It just goes to show that 24 hours/day is plenty of time for motivated people.

10 Darren July 31, 2012 at 2:03 am

Thanks so much for this. It is a great reminder of the execution multiplier. I think I have a great idea with KiwiKonnect.com and if I execute that much more effectively it could end really well!!
Thanks again!

11 Elwin July 31, 2012 at 2:23 am

Seriously – AoM just got a little better today. Brett and Kate, great inititative to let Tyler make a blogpost about this, it really was good.

I am also orientating me on the possiblities of a business on the side – and this week I am going to register myself officially at the Chamber of Commerce. (It is an obligation here in Holland).

But I just know that this two-part series is going to motivate me even more to make it a success..

Just 20 minutes per day, excellent advice!

12 Jeremy Delancy July 31, 2012 at 2:42 am

A friend of mine asked me how I got started making money on the side, so I wrote a series of posts under the heading “You, Inc.” on my blog, http://www.writingsofamidlifeman.com

The most basic aspect of making money on the side is, “See a need, fill a need at a price that you and the customer can accept” Nothing fancy, nothing sexy but it leads to more dollars in the pocket.

I look forward to part two from Mr. Tervooren.

13 Mr. X July 31, 2012 at 6:11 am

Sage advice. Well done, AoM.

14 Joseph July 31, 2012 at 9:58 am

As someone who has been recently thinking of starting his own “side hustle” this is a great, and very timely, read. Point #1 helps confirm the validity of my plan to start slowly building my skills and toolbox to the point of being able to turn my hobby into that second income that I would love it to be.

15 Adam July 31, 2012 at 10:51 am

I wonder if the author is familiar with Ramit Sethi, because this sounds an awful lot like him.

Its still good info though, especially the thought that an average idea with enough muscle behind it is better than a great idea with no effort.

16 Joe July 31, 2012 at 10:51 am

Wonderful article. I couldn’t help reading this and imagining you were talking about fitness. Just pick a simple idea, and execute. Made me stop and think if i could make something to sell.

Cant wait for part 2.

17 Paul July 31, 2012 at 11:16 am

This is a timely article for me, and one I’ll take to heart.

I have been tired of working ‘for The Man’ for half a year now. Last week I finally decided that, instead of letting it get me down (and boy did it get me down; I’ve never suffered existential angst like that!), I’d DO SOMETHING about it. So I started writing with a vengeance in my spare hours, and reading about self-publishing in my spare minutes.

Now I come to the page, orange juice in hand, every day at 05:00. Sure I’ve had to cut staying up ’til midnight playing StarCraft or watching cats do hilarious things on Youtube, but any progress towards freeing myself from having to ask my boss if I can go for lunch (let alone vacation) is worth it.

I’ve been hesitant about starting my own self-publishing because I was afraid of the cost. But the $100 business statement got me thinking: really, how much would it cost to get a website and start selling? For that matter, how much does mead-making equipment cost? Or more painting supplies? Sometimes, a small dose of the simple truth is just enough to bolster your entrepreneurial vigour!

18 Jeff T July 31, 2012 at 11:58 am

Wonderful article! I look forward to reading Part II (and III, and so on!)

I’ve had several things I’ve been wanting to build ever since one of my friends convinced me to join Pinterest (say what you will, but it does have some great ideas for things to build). I’ve sifted through the boards and found many things which I would love to make. Of course, my initial thoughts were “this would look quite nice in my home.” But soon I moved on to “I know a few people who would love this, but would never take the time or energy to actually make it. But perhaps they would pay for it…” They get some cool and unique furniture and decor, and I get a little money on the side (in addition to the pride and satisfaction of creating a well-crafted object).

Great Job with this post!

19 Rafael July 31, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Thank you so much for the post! Really brings things down to earth. One thing I noticed about my past tries at self-employment was that I wanted that “next big idea” that would sell itself and would require very little work on my part. I had to get over that attitude and roll up my sleeves for anything to ever come to fruition.

20 Tanner July 31, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Another solid article. The basic idea of having a product, a customer, a means of delivery, and a means of payment is so succinct. The largest businesses and the smallest all follow this same formula.

It makes it feel like eating an elephant – one bite at a time.

21 Dan July 31, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Actually, I am doing magic as a side business thing and this was a great post! In truth, all it took me to become semi successful at this business was the start up fee of $2.00 for a pack of cards and about $15.00 for a deck of cards. I have no amassed a few hundred dollars worth of magical equipment for stage shows off the revenue of my smaller shows!

22 Jason T. July 31, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Good stuff. But I hope the second part is heavier on the specific details and lighter on the generalities. I’ve got the basic concepts down, but I’m looking for more specifics on how to start a small biz and would also like to hear more about your personal experiences with your own micro-businesses.

23 Daniel Schroeder July 31, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Adam, nothing Ramit Sethi puts out is original or groundbreaking, just tried and true principles packaged in a different way. But they’re good to hear from different folks. Related to that, Chris Guillebeau’s $100 Start Up is another good resource for these same principles packaged in an inspiring way if you need some good motivation.

24 jdude July 31, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I’m always reading some sort of business or self improvement book, but this article spoke to me more than anything has in a long time. Great article and website – you guys keep hitting home runs

25 Sam July 31, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I constantly need reminding too that the idea is not as important as the execution. It doesn’t need to be great, just like it doesn’t need to be unique. So many people, myself included, have thought of an idea then done a little research to discover that someone else had already come up with the same idea. This is normally dejecting, because we think our ideas need to be both great and unique, but they don’t, the fact that someone else is already making money from your idea should be reassuring.

26 Shaun Neil July 31, 2012 at 2:54 pm

This is essentially the same stuff Chris Guillebeau writes in his book The $100 Startup. If you liked this post, I strongly recommend checking out ChrisGuillebeau.com and reading some of his stuff.

27 Adam July 31, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Daniel,

Oh I know he doesn’t necessarily do anything groundbreaking, its just that some of the phrases in this article are exactly the same and my first thought was to double check that it wasn’t actually Ramit doing a guest post.

That being said, it was nice to read something without it being a sales pitch at the end too.

28 Tyler Tervooren July 31, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Hey Adam,

None of the phrases are the same as Ramit though, if they sound similar to something you saw there, it might be because you read one of my pieces on Ramit’s site—I write for IWTYTBR on occasion also.

29 John B. July 31, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Great article. Come September. I’m starting my own business. Wonderful timing!!!Thanks!!!

30 Kiltie July 31, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Damn. Now I have no good excuse not to start making and selling top hats. Seriously, there’s much to be made from the growing Steampunk crowd. I am making one for myself, and it’s not really that hard. Then I can branch out to other kinds of hats. I’m feeling a hustle coming on!

31 Jr August 1, 2012 at 12:04 am

I love this post. Its a good reminder for my goals in my private guitar studio. I would be interested in seeing an article regarding starting a larger business. I’d love to read AoM insight regarding starting a small business like a cafe, coffeeshop, or barbershop. Do you have any articles from past or planned for the future?

32 Lateef Busari August 1, 2012 at 7:54 am

Fantastic article, a real eye opener as well. Thank you.

33 Brent Pittman August 1, 2012 at 11:02 am

I agree that starting a side hustle is key. You will leave your current postion at some point either by quitting or getting laid off. Do what you love that meets a need people are willing to pay for and you’re set for your side hustle to become to main hustle some day soon.

34 JosephRT August 1, 2012 at 11:08 pm

This is something that I’ve needed to read for a while. I want to start my own business, but I’m pretty apprehensive when it comes to actually executing something. I’m a coder, and since I’ve got all of my tools my start up costs are nearly non-existent. Thing that’s been keeping me back is that I haven’t had that “one great idea” yet. Time to decide something and give myself a kick in the pants.

35 ChrisP August 2, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I work a full time job, am a single father and have a great relationship with a girl I love. I am also cursed-blessed with a passion for entrepreneurship. It goes well beyond the desire to be self employed… although that is a strong motivator. I need the ability to pursue the opportunities I see – notjust to accomplish things, but to experience all that is great and mysterious that our world or universe has to offer. I’ve started four companies with partners and still find myself unable to break free from the need to be employed. I also struggle with balancing love and family and the time it takes to nurture a relationship with my girlfriend and daughter (not to mention friends and immediate family). Those are sacrifices I have not been willing or able to make. And those are things that articles like this tend to over look. Get ready to become a recluse and almost obsessed with your work, because that is ultimately what it will take to break through and separate yourself from the rest of us trying to do the exact same thing.

36 Ed Dru August 3, 2012 at 11:05 am

I am very much looking forward to the next article. I am graduating with my PhD in 3 weeks and since I dont have a job lined up yet, I’ve been planning on getting something started on the side to keep money coming in….

37 Gil August 4, 2012 at 1:55 am

I firmly believe in the notion of starting a part-time business from scratch in your spare time while keeping your day job. Doubly so if you have no real business experience. You’re most likely to go the way of Ned Flanders did (except without the happy ending) – your business never really takes off and folds. There was a story on TV of an old couple who put everything they had buying into a franchise, it didn’t work out and they ended up losing everything.

38 S Rowan Wilson, MBA August 4, 2012 at 7:30 am

Sometimes the ideas for businesses are game changers and earth shattering though. Take a look at what is now the largest growing online community of Medicinal Cannabis users and the ‘Ebay’ for patients: http://www.Headbook.org and THE VAULT. Good article!

39 AlexP August 4, 2012 at 8:35 am

Excellent article and it describes exactly how I started my own micro business and embarked on the adventure of self-employment.
For me i was forced into it I woke up one morning from a bad day of getting sacked the day before and said to my self “why not”
For me it took $2,500, and about 2 months for my first check to come in ( a very large one that carried me on for the rest of the year – I started on Feb 1 2002)
It was them I realized that this could work. 10 years later I am resolved never to work for someone else again.

40 John Galt August 4, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Very appropriate article. More people should be committed to freeing themselves from working for someone else. Thanks for posting this article.

41 Chris Kahn August 4, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Ok, you got me. I’ve had a few “big” ideas and a few no-so-big, but always ten thousand reason why it would never work, so I never tried.

I just subscribed. I’m going to make this work.

42 Adam August 5, 2012 at 12:34 am

I’ve noticed that by observing society and trends you can usually see where you should aim your business.

This author misses a VERY important factor in starting a business however.

43 charlie August 5, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I started tutoring grade school math, then I decided that I only wanted to tutor college remedial math and algebra. I moved up in student age so that I would be dealing with only one person instead of the child and parent in grade school tutoring scenario. I advertise on http://www.craigslist.org, which is very easy, widely used, and free. My latest idea is to “do” peoples’ courses for them for $1500. Nowadays there are courses that are done completely online without any contact with a teacher, which means I can do the course for them. I know “doing” someone’s course is “supposedly” unethical, but actually everyone comes out ahead: I get paid, the school gets paid, and the student can get their degree. If the student wants to learn the subject they can do the course themselves, but if not, they can still receive their degree. You can see how the schools probably even pushed for online only-courses so that students would get someone to do their courses for them, and figured, “hey, we can just turn our heads, while we will get more revenue because people that could never get past the algebra requirement will now be able to go to college and finish.”

44 Ed August 8, 2012 at 11:50 am

Starting a business these days aren’t as risky as it used to be. However, there are a lot of men only with words but no action. Action inspires creativity, action inspires you to work.

45 Eric August 16, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I find it more than a little off-putting to not mention Chris Guillebeau and his Art of Non-Conformity; in this post or on advancedriskology.com. I hate to say it, but advancedriskology.com is a copycat of Chris and his work. The AONC pre-dates advancedriskology.com by a few years. The website is VERY similar, and the mention of $100 business ideas at the end of this post just puts it over the top! (See Chris’ “The $100 Startup” book.)

I’m not sure if AONC’s work is copyrighted, or whether that even matters, but you’ve got to give credit where credit is due. The similarities are just too striking. They are even both based in Portland!

46 Tyler Tervooren August 16, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Hi Eric. I’m sorry you feel that way! Chris and I are friends here in Portland, and I would never try to lift his ideas.

Starting $100 businesses is something I’ve been doing since regularly since I was 16 and helping others do the same is something I’ve been doing long before Chris’ excellent book came out earlier this year.

So, I hope that settles that. But you’re right in that this article probably deserves a link to Chris’ book since it’s another great resource for men trying to start a business on a shoestring budget. You can learn more here:

47 Early August 16, 2012 at 8:45 pm

charlie:

“I know ‘doing’ someone’s course is ‘supposedly’ unethical, but actually everyone comes out ahead: I get paid, the school gets paid, and the student can get their degree. If the student wants to learn the subject they can do the course themselves, but if not, they can still receive their degree”

Employers and customers will hire your clients for knowledge they don’t actually have. If the unethical side doesn’t bother you, consider danger and liability. People sue for that crap and win your shirt.

48 Cazmoen August 21, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Really nice post. Its easy to start a small business with very less capital but its all about the right idea and more importantly right execution.

49 Aziz August 23, 2012 at 4:00 am

I am quite convinced with the authors idea here, I believe these days people give too much of weight-age to comforts and fancies of business rather than actual materialization of it which needs effort and patience I would add.

50 Gamnoparts August 27, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I just started a side hustle & although it’s taken more than $100, it was considerably less than $1000 of my own $$$ (the rest coming from profits). My new hustle has many, many cool tools that would make it easier to complete my jobs, the previous owner proved you don’t NEED them. Anytime I think I need it, I listen to the Black Keys’ song, “Dollaz & Sense”, the chorus is flush w/ the phrase, “if it don’t make dollars, it don’t make sense”. Then I ask myself, is it going to make $?

51 Big D October 9, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Great article! I was recently laid off, so I thought to myself..this is the perfect opportunity to start my own side hustle. I have a decent (hardly new) idea, working day & night, trying to get my first client has been tough. I’m about a month into it, hopefully I can land my first client sooner than later. All I needed was my laptop, printer, cell phone & internet (all of which I already had) so my start up costs were less than $100.

52 Ad November 6, 2012 at 2:48 pm

This article is great!
Not just in its adivice, but simply from its existence. I originally heard of the 10,000hr concept in Geoff Colvin’s Talent is Overrated – I had never heard of Gladwell’s Outliers until now. I originally saw the Ideas vs Execution concept in Sebastian Marshall’s IKIGAI. The idea of needing very little money – $100 – from Chris Guillebeau, $100 Startup.
The point is not about who or where the idea or information came from. It is sledom that anyone comes up with a truley original idea; most ideas are stolen or borrowed, and then adapted – whether we are even conscious of it or not. I even got that last statement from Tucker Maxx, when he was in a readio interview trying to explain why his stuff sells. The point is as long as there is even one person out there willing to buy what you are selling there is a market! And as ironically as this article shows, current distributors can seldom keep up with all of the demand, and that mean to some extent, all you have to do is show up. Some markets have not even reached the point of competition. Long story short, there is no better time than now to start hustling…

53 Maximus Ezra April 18, 2013 at 1:07 am

This is a life altering article! I really thank you for pouring you heart and soul out into this article (it shows).

I am a serial entrepreneur that has had countless businesses that failed because I focussed my attention in the wrong areas.

I recently regained my balls again from so many setbacks. I starting writing as well and blogging (www.ventyou.com) to share what I’ve learned through my trials and errors. Anyway, I think this was what I needed to hear in order to get back out there and take what’s mine. Guys, let’s go out there create the lives we desire!!!

54 jen October 6, 2013 at 3:02 pm

awesome article! I Know it to be true, and I also read the $100 startup, which I enjoyed very much. I still struggle on occasion to feel like I have to choose from several ideas I bat around in my head. I always worry about re-inventing the wheel and feeling that the market is already crowded for any good ideas. But I know deep down that is just not true and that I can take over any market share just by delivering the best quality and service when it comes to my product or service.

This was short and to the point, and I feel like I should save it as my home page so I can remind myself of these things everyday! So I can stop daydreaming and “planning” and just DO!!! :)

55 Ryan Landvatter January 29, 2014 at 2:49 pm

This is amazing! My buddy and I recently started a web site (loluppercut.com) and this advice is perfect! Thank you so much for sharing!!!