Last month we covered how to wash your car. Today we go over detailing it.
Illustration by Ted Slampyak
- Thoroughly vacuum interior of car. Loosen caked in dirt with brush if needed. Treat stains with carpet and upholstery cleaner.
- Clean and treat interior plastic and vinyl with protectant.
- Clean glass inside and out with glass cleaner and newspapers.
- Clean inside doorjambs. Open doors and spray doorjambs with multi-purpose cleaner and wipe down with rag.
- Treat black trim with protectant. If car has chrome or aluminum on exterior trim or wheels, polish it.
- Clay your car with detailing clay to remove bonded surface contamination, like brake dust and road grime. Moisten the clay with a cleaner and apply it to car’s surface.
- Apply wax on one small area of the car at a time until you cover the entire car. Let dry for 20-30 minutes. Buff the wax off gently with a microfiber or cotton towel or a power polisher.
Have any more tips on detailing your car? Share them in the comments.Tags: Cars