In this episode we talk to Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Charles Duhigg about his book The Power of Habit. The Power of Habit was our book of the month in the AoM Book Club and it has served as inspiration for a post and a video on the site, so I was excited to finally have the chance to talk to Duhigg himself. During our conversation we discuss what science has revealed about habit formation and action steps we can take to change bad habits.
Show highlights include:
- How an army major’s ability to diffuse riots before they started in Iraq piqued Duhigg’s interest in habits
- What neuroscience has taught us about habit formation in the past ten years
- The three parts of “the habit loop” and how to hack it to change your habits
- Are there differences between men and women when it comes to habit formation?
- The importance of belief when it comes to habit formation
- And much more!