Upgrade the Humble Bologna Sandwich + AoM Month of Sandwiches Group Project

by Brett on March 8, 2013 · 483 comments

in Cooking, Food & Drink, Travel & Leisure

sandwich

Men and sandwiches have always gone together. Sandwiches originally started out as a food enjoyed by men who wanted something convenient to fuel their nights of drinking and gaming. The food famously got its name from John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, who, in order to keep his hands from getting greasy while munching on a slab of meat during a game of cribbage, had his valet stick the meat between two slices of bread. Fast, inexpensive, portable, and filling, the sandwich grew in popularity as a convenient meal for any old time.

I know I love me a good sandwich. Reubens, Cubans, Tortas, Monte Cristos. If there’s meat, cheese, and other goodness stuffed between two slices of bread, I like it. But one of my favorites growing up, and still today, is the humble bologna sandwich.

It was standard fare whenever I brown-bagged it to school. In the summertime, it was an easy sandwich to make for my seven-year-old self. Just pull out the meat from the cold-cuts drawer in the fridge, slap some mustard on some Iron Kids Bread, and you’re in business. All washed down with a big glass of  cold milk.

As an adult, I’ve pretty much eliminated bologna sandwiches from my diet because, let’s be honest, they’re not the healthiest thing to eat by any stretch. But every few months, I get a hankering for one (especially during the summer). So I’ll go to the grocery store, buy my bologna sandwich supplies, and have a bologna sandwich splurge. It’s a wonderful thing.

Two Simple Upgrades for Your Bologna Sandwich to Make it Even Awesomer

There isn’t too much you can do to make a bologna sandwich any better. Its beauty is in its simplicity: bologna, white bread, American cheese, mustard, and maybe some lettuce and tomato. But below I humbly suggest two simple upgrades that can make your bologna sandwich even better.

frybologna

Fry up your bologna for extra tasty goodness.

1. Fry up your bologna. Growing up, my family just ate our bologna cold, straight from the fridge. It never crossed my mind that you could warm it up. Why would you? Bologna is a cold-cut after all. But a few years ago, I came across an article where a person recommended frying up your bologna before putting it in the sandwich. Intrigued, I gave it a try. When I bit into my sandwich I felt like Paul on the Road to Damascus or Neo taking the Red Pill. I experienced a paradigm shift. Fried bologna sandwiches are awesome. If you’ve never done it before, give it a try. You won’t regret it.

As it cooks, the bologna gives off a nice savory smell. Sort of like Spam. The center of the bologna puffs up, causing it to look like those half-ball jumping toys. I like to put my cheese on the sandwich and then the hot bologna on the cheese. The heat from the meat gives the cheese just the right amount of melt.

chips

Potato chips give your sandwich a nice, salty crunch.

2. Put potato chips on the sandwich. This was something my mom taught me. The potato chips give the otherwise soft texture of a bologna sandwich a nice, salty crunch. Personally, I think Ruffles are the best accompaniment to a bologna sandwich. The ridges make the difference.

I actually enjoy putting chips (and Cheetos — Cheetos make every sandwich better) on most of my cold-cut sandwiches. I’ve met a few people who are chips-on-sandwich people, too. It’s fun introducing those who have no idea about the concept and seeing them become zealous converts.

The Art of Manliness Month of Sandwiches Group Project

dagwood

As I said earlier, I love a good sandwich and I know I’m not alone in my appreciation for this gratifying gastronomical genre. I’m always on the lookout for new sandwich combos and I thought,  what better place to get some ideas than from the amazing AoM community? That’s when I had the idea for the Art of Manliness Month of Sandwiches Group Project.

Here’s how I see it working:

1. If you have a sandwich recipe that’s a personal favorite and you think the whole world needs to know about it, please leave it in the comments below. I’m looking for all kinds of sandwiches. Simple, complex, classics with a twist, international sandwiches, breakfast sandwiches, whatever. If there’s stuff in between bread and it tastes good, I want to see it.

2. We’ll comb through and try those that look to be the best sandwich recipe submissions.

3. Every weekday in the month of April (hereby declared the AoM Month of Sandwiches), I’ll publish one new amazing sandwich recipe along with pics of me putting it together and eating the crap out of it. By the end of the month, you’ll have 22 new sandwich recipes in your sandwich-making arsenal.

To entice folks to submit a sandwich, I’ll be giving away a signed copy of Manvotionals to each person whose sandwich we feature during the Month of Sandwiches. Sound good?

Looking forward to reading your submissions! Long live the sandwich!

201 J.R. March 9, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Bacon Loretta
Grill bacon with Lawry’s, diced tomatoes, green peppers, and onions. Melt white American cheese over bacon.
Grill french brigette in grease, add mayo and everything you grilled. Enjoy. Stolen from Sarkis in Evanston, Illinois.

202 Alain Latour March 9, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Spread peanut butter on two slices of bread (I like sourdough). Place thin slices of a previously cored apple in between. Add two or three strips of pan-fried bacon. Close the sandwich and enjoy.

203 Chad March 9, 2013 at 2:16 pm

These really are delicious! Possibly not the healthiest sandwich in the world, so perhaps not have them too often…

BACON, CRANBERRY, AND BRIE SANDWICH

1. Fry or grill some good quality smoked bacon until looking delicious.

2. While the bacon is cooking, butter (optional really) slices of beautifully soft white bread, and slice some Brie cheese on a slice.

3. When the bacon has finished cooking, layer on top of the brie and spread over some cranberry sauce (is it called cranberry Jelly in the US?).

4. Put the final layer of bread on and serve!

204 Sam March 9, 2013 at 2:25 pm

From my college days.

Toast two eggo waffels
cover one in maple syrup
cover the other in peanut butter
Put the two together and enjoy.

205 Eric March 9, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Two of my favorites are the turkey tomato panini; Panini bread, turkey, pesto, fresh mozzarella, and tomato, and this grilled chicken; grilled bread, grilled chicken, tomato, bib lettuce, stone ground mustard, and goat cheese.

206 Dr. Sparky March 9, 2013 at 2:44 pm

I too on many occasions have done the rummage through the kitchen to find just that certain something and came up with these.
one plain thomas’s bagel
spread one side with cream cheese the other with honey mustard.
layer low sodium turkey breast and top with kosher dill pickle and enjoy.

and second ill add ranch dressing or green tabasco to any sammiche to get that little extra zing.

207 Matt March 9, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese

2 thick slices good sourdough bread
cream cheese
2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
2 jalapenos, cut in half lengthwise and de-seeded

Roast the jalapenos under the broiler in your oven. Butter the two slices of bread on one side. Spread cream cheese on one piece of bread – opposite the side you buttered. Top cream cheese with roasted jalapenos, sharp cheddar, and the other slice of bread (with butter outwards). Place onto a griddle or into a frying pan preheated to just slightly shy of medium heat. Cook on one side until a nice, golden brown. Flip and cook the other side.

This is a favorite sandwich of my wife and I. Best served with a good bowl of tomato or other vegetable soup.

208 Spartacus March 9, 2013 at 2:56 pm

My signature sandwich:
2 slices of Pumpernickel
Chicken breast
Lettuce
Baby swiss
Mayo
Smooth, tasty…with some flavor from the bread!

209 joe mccrae March 9, 2013 at 2:59 pm

I’m pretty particular with my daily lunch sandwich so forgive my OCD.

Hillshire Farms Deli Thin Mesquite Smoked turkey breast, 5-8 slices
Sargento Swiss cheese
Natures own Honey Wheat
Cool Ranch Doritos

To at the bread

210 Joe McCrae March 9, 2013 at 3:12 pm

I’m pretty particular with my daily lunch sandwich, so forgive my OCD on this write-up.

5-8 slices of Hillshire Farms Deli thin Mesquite Smoked Turkey Breast
1 slice Sargento Swiss Cheese
Nature’s Own Honey Wheat Bread
Handful of Dorito’s Cool Ranch

First rule I have is DO NOT MAKE THE SANDWICH and put it in the lunchbox. That’s ridiculous. Put the contents of the sandwich in the lunchbox and build your creation at lunch time. Everything just tastes better, I think others can attest to this if you try it.

Toast the bread.
While the bread is toasting, I like to warm up the swiss cheese by holding it over the toaster. Burns the fingers a little bit, but if it gets the swiss sweating a bit it really unlocks the flavor. This is done only if a toaster is available and not a grill or something like that. If there’s a grill available you know very well this thing will be on it. But hey, all workplaces are not created equal. Do what you can with what you got, men.

Toast pops up, and you’re on your “A” game. Flip those guys onto the plate and immediately start building that sandwich. Cheese first. to get the warmth of the bread to add some more melt to it.

The 5-8 slices of turkey breast is up to you, it depends how I feel. If I feel a little turkey deprived, I’ll throw down 8 on it, but if I’ve got some awesome dessert lined up I’ll skimp it down to 5 to save room in the tummy for the good stuff. :)

I don’t do mustard, mayo, special sauce, or anything like that. I don’t mind dry sandwiches, but if you’re freaking out right now because I said that, just take a deep breath, grab your sauciness of choice and use it, I won’t tell anybody. /looks away

I throw some doritos on top of the cheese for some crunch. Always gets some weird looks from the locals but whatever, they’re close minded and have never tried it. Of course, I’d never offer up my sandwich to a bystander, but I’m not lying if I’ve said I haven’t brought extra sandwich materials to hook up the ignorant masses. Call it sandwich evangelism. Nom noms.

Sandwich makeup:
Bread
Doritos (single layer, puzzle it out)
dSwiss
Turkey
Bread

As for drink pairing, since I’m stationed in Belgium, I’ve been digging the trappist breweries. Rochefort 6 is really good with this sandwich, I don’t think anything too heavy should go with it, but hey, I won’t judge you if you prefer a Tripel. :)

I think I’m going to go make a midnight snackwich.

211 Jeff Mazza March 9, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Spread some pimento cheese on the bread of any cold cut sandwich before adding the meat.

212 Max March 9, 2013 at 3:39 pm

#1:
Cream cheese
Smoked salmon
Avocado
Optional: 1 fried egg, black olives

This is actually best on a toasted bagel. It also works on regular ol’ toast, but seriously, the bagel makes it better. Denser bread is better, is what I’m saying. And toasting it is mandatory. Gives a nice grain to contrast all the fatty creaminess of everything else.

#2:
Peanut butter
Sliced peaches and/or peach preserves

So, so much better than grape jelly. Peaches are the best fruit to go with peanut butter. Yes, even better than bananas. No, really. Trust me.

213 Scott March 9, 2013 at 3:49 pm

My favourite sandwich since I was young has always been ham and cheese. However, two years ago I became a vegetarian, and had to struggle with how to maintain (and even improve) the delicious taste of my sandwich without meat. I came up with the following, and eat it everyday for lunch quite happily:

Lightly toasted white bread
Hefty amount of mayo
Light mustard
Cheddar cheese (1cm thick slices; also, very important that the mayo and cheese be touching- it’s not the same without the directly combined flavours)
Thin slices of zucchini (about 3 or 4 slices)
Thin slices of mushroom (about one small mushroom’s worth)
Bean mix (one can of black beans, one red pepper, two cloves garlic, put in food processor and blended briefly- should be well-mixed but still chunky- put about one spoonful on each sandwich)

The bean mix gives the sandwich an ugly purple look, which puts people off until they try it- I have never had someone, even the most carnivorous friends, say they didn’t love it! It’s also quite healthy, and easy to make in the morning.

214 Mike March 9, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Nice crusty bread, smoked brisket (leftover potroast works amazingly well too) a slice of avocado, little bit of basil and spinach and a fried egg with a runny yoke to top it off.

Or

Regular old ham and cheese with basil pesto instead of mustard. It will change you as a man.

215 James March 9, 2013 at 4:12 pm

A great breakfast sandwich:
Grill 2 slices of bread, pumpernickel is best
Flatten out a patty of sausage to just a little bigger
Than the bread. I use a mix of deer and pork
Sausage but any will work
Put a little blue plate mayo on the bread and cook
The sausage. When it’s done put a handful of
Grated sharp cheddar on the sausage.
Cook an egg sunny side up and put that on top of the cheese. Salt and pepper, close sandwich and enjoy. Oh, you’ll need a knife and fork

216 Tim March 9, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Meatball Sandwich
6-inch Dutch Crunch, add meatballs in tomato sauce, provolone, parmesan, lettuce, sliced olives. Add salt or pepper to taste.

217 Tyler March 9, 2013 at 4:29 pm

One of my favorites from a local sandwich shop. Goes best with white or wheat bread:

Roast Beef
Swiss cheese
Lettuce
Red onion
Cucumber slices
Horseradish Mayo

The roast beef and horseradish form the backbone of the flavor, while the veggies add some nice texture. It’s a fantastic sandwich for a summer day.

218 gvekony March 9, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Hmm.. I know these sandwiches as well, thou we call them different here in Europe. (Actually the cold cut you refer as Bologna is rather called Parisien in Hungary with more or less the same ingredients.)

We use to eat it cold in sandwitches with paprika cream, tomato and mustard; or sometimes baked, with an egg inserted to the middle of it. (Pre baked if you would like to have it dry.) That was the Parisien Basket. :)

Favourite sandwitch would be made of:
-toasted bread or croissant base
-mustard and thin purple onion slices
-leftover chicken or turkey / cold cuts
-tomato and cucumber slices
-sunny side up eggs on the top
-one slice of soft cheese
-one more toast with mustard if its made of bread :)

Pesto works nice as well, as mentioned before!

219 Chaz March 9, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Fat Darryl.
Saw this on TV a few years ago and its become a staple of our household. You take a roll, sub, hot dog or brat bun (We use bolillos from a local bakery), cut it with a knife, then stick mozzarella sticks, chicken fingers/strips, onion rings or thick cut french fries in there and top it all off with generous helping of marinara sauce. Healthy? No way. Good? Absolutely!

220 Dominic Pfister March 9, 2013 at 4:32 pm

Pepper and Cheese Sandwich

1) Put some canola oil in a large pan over low heat. Mince a clove or two of garlic and toss it in. Cook until fragrant. Toss in some red pepper flakes now, of you’re feeling frisky.

2) While the garlic is cooking, chop up some peppers. Personally, I use cubanelle peppers, jalapeños for some more heat, and maybe some bell peppers if im running short of the other peppers. You want pretty thick pieces of the sweeter peppers, with thin shreds of jalapeños giving you some flavor contrast. Toss the peppers into the oil after the garlic is fragrant, with some salt and fresh ground pepper. Turn the heat up to medium and cook the peppers until barely soft and slightly browned.

3) Now, while the peppers are cooking, get two thick slices of crusty white bread (I’m not talking Wonderbread here. Bakery bread or, preferably, some bread you made yourself.) At this point also chop up a good amount of Monterey Jack cheese.

4) When the peppers are done, shove them over to one side of the pan. Throw the cheese on them, mix it around an let it melt. Now, in the open part of your pan (it was a large pan, remember) put down your two pieces of bread, one next to the other. They’ll toast in the pan, like a grilled cheese sandwich, and they’ll also get flavor from the oil.

5) Assemble your sandwich. It’s going to be messy. It’s worth it. I sometimes but some mayo on my bread, but that’s a personal preference. Serve with a pickle and chips.

221 Craig March 9, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Great article Brett. In New Zealand we call Bologna, Luncheon Sausage, but it’s the same large roll of processed meat.

Like you, I had a hankering a couple of weeks ago for a sandwiche – two slices of fresh white bread with luncheon sausage in the middle.

And yes, chips in a sandwich are the go!

My contribution is a sandwich my grandmother came up with:

Bread
Peanut butter
Mayonnaise
Potato crisps (chips)

Can be eaten fresh as a crunchy sandwich, or later with the chips having absorbed the flavour of the mayo.

222 Jonathan Blair March 9, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I have several favorites. For one, I have taken the humble PBJ to a whole new level by adding onions and pickles. Also I have invented the yogurt sandwich which is merely yogurt in between two pieces of bread. Also I have made a pita hotdog sandwich Simply take pita bread and a hotdog and what yuo want on it.

223 Dale March 9, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Fried potato sangwich, fry up raw taters, add onions half way through, put on plain white store bread.

224 Dan March 9, 2013 at 4:58 pm

Great suggestion Chad, I love the bacon brie and cranberry! My recipe though is the ploughman’s sandwich.

Two hefty slices of wholewheat bread.
Chunky ham
Smoky cheese
A couple of pickled onions
Leaf of lettuce
Some strong, quality chutney.

Layer them all up, and enjoy with a pint of stout, preferably on a break from gatherin’ in t’crops!

225 Clint March 9, 2013 at 4:59 pm

This one is fairly simple and should be available at any bagel shop or easily made at home:

One bagel
Two eggs
Two to three slices of bacon
Cream cheese
Salt and pepper

Fry the bacon to your preference (I prefer my bacon on the chewy side). Whisk your eggs with a little salt and pepper or whatever seasonings you like and scramble. If you’re not worried about the cholesterol, scrambling them in a little of the leftover bacon fat adds even more flavor. Lightly toast your bagel and spread a little cream cheese on both sides. Put your bacon on the bottom and then top with the egg and top slice of bagel. Serve with a glass of orange juice.

If you want to change it up or add further depth, try using a cinnamon raisin, onion, or everything bagel. They all give several more dimensions to this awesome sandwich. Enjoy!

226 Michael March 9, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Two slices of bread, peanut butter (I prefer crunchy) and one or two slices of cheese.

227 mrriden March 9, 2013 at 5:07 pm

A simple bologna sandwich. Toast up an English Muffin, slather it with butter and put 2 thick slices, no more no less, of bologna in between. Simple and satisfying. Kinda the slider of bologna sandwiches. Try it!

228 Nusy March 9, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Dry salami, provolone cheese, peperoncini (if you like), tomatoes, lettuce on sourdough. Then pop the whole thing in a sandwich grill (I got mine at Target for $10 on a back-to-college sale). For best results, lightly butter the outside to make it crispier.

229 Johnny March 9, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Chili fried egg sannie
Fry 2 eggs to your liking, toast whole grain bread to your liking. When eggs are done, spread mayo on slice of bread, smooth peanut butter on the other. Slide eggs onto mayo’d slice and shake chili powder on them along with black pepper to taste, assemble sannie. Goes good with a pilsner or cold milk. For a flavor addition try adding your favorite mango chutney!!

230 Steve March 9, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I enjoy the “White and Yellow”, as all the ingredients are either white or yellow in color.

2 slices white bread
2 eggs
2 slices American cheese
Mayo
Yellow mustard

Fry the eggs however you like (over hard is my favorite, as I’m not a fan of egg yellow gushing all over the place.)

Put a thin layer of mayo on each slice–it acts as a moisture barrier to keep the bread from getting too soggy and adds a good flavor, too.

Add a couple spoons/squirts of yellow mustard to the bread.

Stack on the fried egg(s) and top with the other slice of bread.

Enjoy!

231 Ryan March 9, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Grilled Lingucia (Portuguese smoked pork)
Toasted Portuguese Roll (Sort of like a bulky roll)
American cheese
Banana peppers
Ketchup
Side of Fries
It’s a very filling sandwich.

232 Erik A. March 9, 2013 at 5:17 pm

I love grilled cheese sandwiches. You can put just about anything in them. Here’s one that is fantastic: two slices ciabatta bread, asiago, provolone, and cheddar cheeses, sliced avocado, fresh basil, sliced tomatoes and bacon (or prosciutto). If you have a griddle place the shredded asiago directly on the griddle and put the bread on top and press down to form a crust. Place all the other ingredients inside and grill it to perfection. Enjoy with a good tomato Basil soup.

233 The Desert Rat March 9, 2013 at 5:28 pm

To make your fried bolagna sandwich even more manly here’s what I do. Include a thin slice of red onion, your favorite cheese and add a little creamy horseradish sauce between the two piece of fried all beef bologna (Bar-S). A dark bread, such as pumpernickel works best in standing up to these strong favors.

P.S. Have a bit a breath freshener available post sandwich enjoyment!

234 Jaco March 9, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Interesting fact; Five fish fingers fit perfectly on a piece of bread. Coincidence?

My perfect sandwich is garden peas, tinned spaghetti, pepper and melted cheese. And remember a jaffle iron can improve any sandwich.

235 jsallison March 9, 2013 at 5:37 pm

toast two slices of whole grain wheat bread, spread one slice with your favorite peanut butter, take 4 slices of sharp cracker barrel cheddar (1/8-1/4″ thick) and arrange on the peanut butter, add the other slice of bread. Eat. This would be the classic version, you can experiment with different breads, cheeses and p’butters.

236 Erik Anderson March 9, 2013 at 5:37 pm

I love grilled cheese sandwiches. You can put just about anything in them. Here’s one I’m fond of: two slices of Ciabatta bread, asiago, provolone and cheddar cheeses, sliced avocado, fresh basil, sliced tomatoes and bacon (or prosciutto). If you have a griddle place the shredded asiago cheese directly on the griddle and put the bread on top and press down to form a crust add all the other ingredients and grill to perfection. enjoy with a good tomato basil soup.

237 Yabdul March 9, 2013 at 5:44 pm

bread
mayo
american cheese
Scrambled eggs
mayo
bread

238 C.G March 9, 2013 at 5:48 pm

toasted regular bread
cold chicken from day before
caesar dressing
salt + pepper and other food that your food eats

239 Jacob W. March 9, 2013 at 5:48 pm

This sandwich is amazing with fresh ingredients:

a classic BLT but with avocado and balsamic vinager

I believe it is a fairly common sandwich but still my personal favorite

best layering goes (in order):
avocado base
balsamic (whatever order you use put balsamic on the avocado)
lettuce
bacon
tomato

240 Tom March 9, 2013 at 6:02 pm

I use my Foreman grill as a sandwich press for making hot toasted sandwiches. Coat the sandwich outside with cooking spray and the grill also so they slide right off.

Ham Apple sandwich

Gouda sandwich
2 slices bread
2 slices gouda
thin sliced asian pear
sliced turkey
You may have to add a slice or 2 more of gouda to get it to stick together
60-75 seconds on the Foreman grill.

241 Logan Warren March 9, 2013 at 6:02 pm

“The Hangover Buster” (from my Uncle)
*Drink black coffee while preparing*

Fry two eggs, two slices of wheat bread, and two lengthwise-sliced jalapenos.

Place one slice of cheese on the bread, top it with eggs, then add the slices of jalapeno. Top the whole assembly with spicy mustard and a final slice of bread.

It’s delicious! The high fat content and fiber in the whole wheat bread will help absorb and flush out the hangover toxins!

The spiciness will get your blood flowing, and helps neutralize the sour feeling of last night’s alcoholic indiscretion :)

242 Spencer March 9, 2013 at 6:04 pm

One of my favs… Roast beef, sharp cheddar, and balsamic vinaigrette marinated bean sprouts on pumpernickel bread. Super simple, super good. The bean sprouts are simple as putting a bunch in a container, squirting in some balsamic vinaigrette dressing, and shaking it up. Use the balsamic dressing instead of mayo. The crunch and acidity of this sandwich is spectacular, offset by the goodness of classic roast beef.

243 Eric Tritten March 9, 2013 at 6:07 pm

One of my favorite sandwiches was made in a moment of teenage hunger and inspiration.

Raiding the refrigerator one evening, I found my ingredients:
- Jewish Rye Bread
- Left over slices of ham
- diced onion (also left over)
- a half can of mushrooms
- real Swiss Cheese (Not the kind that comes as individual slices wrapped in plastic that my mom usually bought)
- Gulden’s Brown Mustard

I toasted the bread and then assembled the rest of the sandwich.

For a kick I tossed it in this newfangled contraption my dad had bought – a microwave – and heated it up so that the cheese was nice and gooey.

It was so good that I still remember loving every bite over twenty years later!

244 Rocky Rhodes March 9, 2013 at 6:08 pm

This is the recipe for the sandwich that won over my wife:
- 12 grain bread
- 1 egg, fried with butter and just a dash of cinnamon
- mustard
- baby spinach
- mint leaves
- strawberries, sliced thinly
- provolone cheese

It took me 6 months to work up the nerve to talk to my wife for the first time. On our first date, I made her this sandwich. That was 3 years ago. I’m happy to say we just got married this past October, and could not be happier.

245 Scott P March 9, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Very simple: Grilled peanut butter and Jelly.
Its made just like a grilled cheese except with Pb and J.

Butter the outside of the bread.
Put your pb and j in between.
Brown each side to perfection.

Warning: the jelly gets really hot. Be sure to let it cool before you induldge. You have to find the perfect temp -Jelly can’t be too hot and peanut butter can’t cool down too much..

246 Patrick March 9, 2013 at 6:20 pm

im from the UK so I’m unsure how our ingredients would differ in taste to your own. However, here is my sandwich for you to (hopefully) enjoy.

Peanut butter 2 slices of your favorite bread. On one slice, add a layer of cheese, I prefer a red cheese however medium to strong cheddar is also a great fit. Pour some ketchup on that and top of with a cream cracker and the other slice of peanut buttered bread. Simple yet tasty.

There are few additions you could make to this depending on your mood, cravings or just tastes.

1. Chilli cheese.
2. Some simple Italian herbs mixed in the ketchup.
3. Exchange the cracker for a potato waffle (if you have these).
4. Add some bacon or a fried egg
5. Have one of the slices of bread spread with jam (jelly I believe you may call it) instead.

I have had this sandwich in my repertoire for the las 18 years and have experimented with lots of adjustments but I always come back to this.

Hope you enjoy.

247 S.W. March 9, 2013 at 6:28 pm

A tasty egg sandwich is something I believe every man should be able to whip up from time to time. I have some fond memories of my grandpa making me and my brother egg sandwiches for breakfast when we would stay over with him and grandma. Later on when I was in college, an egg sandwich was one of the few dishes I could make for myself from scratch, and it was always tastier than any frozen or boxed food I had on hand. The past few years I’ve refined my recipe to the following:

2 eggs
Diced onion (about 1/2 cup per )
Diced green pepper (about 1/2 cup)
Lettuce or spinach
A few tomato slices
Mayo
Shredded cheese
Salt and pepper
Toast

Heat some oil in a pan, then saute the onion and green pepper. Beat the eggs and pour over the veggies once they’re softened (my grandpa and brother add milk to the eggs for fluffiness, but I prefer to leave it out), salt and peppering to taste. Allow the eggs to set and then flip it to make a half-moon, as if you were making an omelet. Use your spatula to cut the half-moon down the middle, giving you two wedges roughly one quarter the size of your pan. Stack these wedges on top of one another shuttle them over to a piece of toast. If cheese is desired, sprinkle some between the wedges (I prefer sharp cheddar). Top with your choice of lettuce or spinach, a slice or two of tomato, and slap some mayo on the other piece of toast.

On those days you prefer a bit more flavor and protein, fry up some bacon or slices of ham to top off the eggs.

248 Todd March 9, 2013 at 6:42 pm

A sandwich I loved when I was younger, and my (then) new wife thought was disgusting and she still gives me a hard time about:
Toasted wheat slices
Liverwurst
Kimchee
Mustard
Cheese (American or Swiss) slices

Gross, but yummy lol

249 Chris March 9, 2013 at 6:48 pm

“Pistol Pete”

Toasted Sourdough. Boom. Crack that baby open.
Cream Cheese, preferably Braums.
5 or so thick slices of smoked (maybe peppered if that is your poison) turkey. I like mine from a place in Stillwater OK.
Five, count em five, pickled jalapeños, arranged in quadrants, with one in the center of the formation.
american cheese. Sliced.
One slice of tomato

ARRANGE AS SUCH:
Lower Sourdough bun (toasted)
Smear cream cheese.
Arrange jalapeños as such on cream cheese.
Place turkey ALONE in microwave, heat to desired warm-ness (benefit of peppered, it tastes better warm)
Place warm turkey on jalapeño slices.
Place tomato slice on turkey. NOM. Place American cheese immediately on sammich.
Your hot stuff/turkey/tomato creation should be between a cheesy pocket. Place top toasted bun on sandwich.

There you are. Go Pokes.

250 Peter March 9, 2013 at 6:55 pm

using plain white bread and spare bolognese from a meal the night before (not sure if americans eat bolognese, my spellcheck doesn’t think so) and a few slices of cheese. Pile it up then grill it slowly enough that the bolognese can heat through, then eat

251 Don March 9, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Fried PB&J
Fried PB&Banana slices

I like to cook my meats for a minute or two, then make a grilled cheese with the cooked meat. Meat and cheeses are all personal preferences.

One of my faves is chicken, cheddar or colby jack cheese, and a little BBQ sauce.

252 Aiden March 9, 2013 at 7:01 pm

This one is just a fairly standard salad sandwich, but it works really well, definatley a favourite of mine. Ah, looking foward to this month, sandwiches are such a simple but delicious and diverse snack.

Multigrain bread
Butter
Quality ham
A good strong quality cheese
Lettuce
Tomato (Roma / Plum tomatos are best as they have less juice.)
Sliced beetroot
Salt & pepper

253 Matt March 9, 2013 at 7:28 pm

My go-to breakfast, at least when I have time to make it:
Bacon, a fried egg (I like it over-hard), pepper jack cheese, and salsa on a split and toasted english muffin.
Two of those, I’m good to go.

254 James Jenson March 9, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Loaded Nacho “Game Day” Grilled Cheese

◾2 Slices French Bread
◾1 Tbsp Sour Cream
◾2 Tbsp Salsa
◾Tex Mex Cheese
◾2-3 Tbsp Cooked Ground Beef
◾1/8 Tsp Taco Seasoning
◾1 Green Onion Stalk (chopped)
◾4-5 Cilantro Leaves
◾1 Slice of Tomato (diced)
◾1/4 Avocado (diced)
◾1-2 Black Olives (chopped)
◾1 Tbsp Black Beans
◾1-2 Slices Jalapeno Pepper (chopped)
◾1-2 Handful Nacho Flavoured Doritos (crumbled)
◾1 Egg (scrambled)
◾Butter

Crush all the doritos and spread them on a plate, dip one side of each slice in the egg and then into the doritos. Once you have done this begin assembling the sandwich with sour cream on one slice, and salsa on the other. Next place a layer of cheese on the bottom slice, then stack on the rest of ingredients and finish with another layer of cheese and your top slice!

In a pan on medium heat, add some butter, once that has melted, place your sandwich in, cooking each side until browned and the cheese is melting. You may want to cover your pan with a lid while it’s cooking to help the cheese melt, since there is so much stuff in the sandwich!

Once everything is ooey gooey, slice it in half and enjoy all your favourite nacho toppings in one glorious sandwich!

255 David March 9, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Best Burgers

Form nice, firm patties with the meat, then dig out the middle of the patty. Fill the inside of the burger with bleu cheese. Flatten out the scoopings from the middle of the burger to reseal the burger. Season with cajun/creole seasoning, Tony Chachere’s is ideal. Fry the burgers (be sure to use no higher than medium heat, so as to give the cheese time to melt inside the burger), then while they’re frying, slice up 1/2 an avocado. Put the avocado on the top bun and the burger on the bottom, and lose yourself in the deliciousness.

256 Chris March 9, 2013 at 8:13 pm

A great sandwich doesn’t need to be complicated or made with pricey ingredients. More often than not, I find it’s the small things that make the biggest differences. This one doesn’t have a name. It’s just tasty.

Whole wheat bagel thins or sandwich thins (actually, any flavor but white)
Olive oil mayo
Baby spinach
Deli turkey or rotisserie chicken
Sharp cheddar (the sharpest possible)
Tomato
Fresh cracked pepper
Sour cream and onion potato chips, with ridges

Spread each side of your bread with some olive oil mayo. Crack LOTS of fresh pepper over each side. Top one side with a slice of tomato, the other with the spinach. To the spinach side, add turkey or chicken, cheddar, and as many chips as you like. I usually find the largest 3 or 4 in the bag and use them. Top with the tomato side and gently compress so you break the chips up. Don’t be too rough or all the chips will spill out. Take a bite and savor the pungent, salty, sharp, and juicy goodness. Simple. Interesting. And midway through, you’ll start thinking about when you’re going to make this again.

257 Beau March 9, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I love me some bologna too. Guys, it’s about simplicity. Heat it up in cast iron skillet, throw some cheese and tabasco between some white bread—quick and yummy. Man sandwich!

Potato chips on the sandwich is a GREAT IDEA!

258 Stengel99 March 9, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Southwestern Turkey BLT:

Peppercorn turkey
Bacon (Plenty of it!)
Green leaf lettuce
Tomato
Horseradish mustard
Toasted bread (I prefer sourdough)

Your sandwich theme is a great one! Thanks for all the ideas.

259 Aaron March 9, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I don’t have a sandwich to share, but here is an important, possibly life-altering, tip in sandwich-eating:

Flip the sandwich.

Between bites, that is. That way, in one bite your taste buds will be cruising on a mustard high, but then the next bite will allow you to revel in the cheesiness of it all.

Of course, this assumes that you haven’t built your sandwich in a completely mirrored symmetrical way.

260 Austin Ratliff March 9, 2013 at 9:24 pm

I made a really good burger once. It was made with a bratwurst patty, a sunny side up egg, and Sloppy Joe mix. It had a pretty interesting flavor. I call it a Sloppy Willhelm.

261 Sean March 9, 2013 at 9:34 pm

In the good ol’ days of Food Network…before “cupcake battles,” “diners and dives,” and that succubus Sandra Lee… they had a show about how any combination of bread, cheese and jelly/jam/preserves made awesome grilled cheese sandwiches. I have tried it over the years and, I’ll be damned…it’s true!

Randomly pick one from each category, put them together, and grill as you normally would a grilled cheese. It’s great! Don’t limit yourself to these choices, either…go to town! I’ve yet to find a combo that doesn’t work!

Just to name a few….
Breads:
Rye, Challah, Whole wheat/multi-grain, White

Cheeses:
Havarti, Brie, Bleu, Cheddar

Jellies/Jams:
Apricot, Strawberry, Hot pepper, Grape

262 Jesse March 9, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Ham pepperoni and bacon with 3 slices of cheese =the pig pleaser

263 Dan March 9, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Already posted once, but I had to share this too! This is a tradiational Welsh dish we call this huffengaws. The English call it rarebit, and I’ve no idea why…

Melt 25 g of butter in a saucepan and mix in 25g of flour, keep stirring it up. Add about 100ml of bitter or stout, and simmer nicely til it’s all thick. Add a fistful of strong, grated cheese (cheddar is good), some Worcester or tabasco sauce, one egg, and fresh-ground black pepper. Then toast your bread on each side so it’s how you like, take it out, spread the cheese mix on thick, and pop it under the grill for a minute til it’s hot and bubbling.

Posh cheese on toast, perfect on a soggy winter day! Iechyd da, from Wales.

264 stephen March 9, 2013 at 9:50 pm

No signature recipe – only a suggestion.
When frying your bologna, you MUST slice it once (some people slice three times) from the center of the disk to the outer edge. This is the best way to prevent it from puckering up into a dome when cooking. This is how I learned as a boy growing up in rural TN.

265 Bryan March 9, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Fry a couple of eggs and some bacon. Then put the fried eggs and bacon in a sandwich with a slice of cheese, and then cook the sandwich in the grease from the bacon. Kinda like a grilled cheese with a couple of fried eggs and bacon in it

266 Clark March 9, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Bill’s Turkey Sandwich

Toasted Honey Oat Bread spread with Mayo, 6 oz sliced turkey, 1 1/2 T chopped cherry peppers, a few pieces thinly sliced red onion, 4 thin slices of Granny Smith Apple, Havarty cheese. melt and top.

267 Kevin March 9, 2013 at 11:40 pm

1. In a hot cast iron skillet, brown a 2 lbs. London broil. Place in a slow cooker.
2. Saute 1 onion, chopped, until carmelized. Spread over the beef.
3. Mix 3/4 cup of red wine, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. Pour over the beef.
4. Cook the roast for 8 hours on low.
5. Remove the roast, pat dry, and slice.
6. Separate the onions from the juices left behind.
7. Mix the onions with horseradish, mayonnaise, and minced garlic.
8. Toast two thick slices of sourdough bread.
9. Assemble the sandwich–bread, meat, onion spread, and smoked gouda. Serve with a cup of the jus.

268 Cody Austin March 9, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Tangy Grilled Cheese
(aka The Austin)

2 slices white bread
Butter
Yellow Mustard
Dill Pickle Chips
Mozzarella Cheese

Butter the bread, add mustard to both sides and pickles to taste. Slice the cheese and grill it to golden-brown perfection.

269 Zack March 10, 2013 at 12:04 am

Sourdough Grilled Cheese

-Take 2 slices of fresh sourdough bread (I get mine from Harris Teeter… excellent stuff) and cover one side of both with a generous amount of butter (I prefer real butter, but margarine spreads work well too). Have slices of Sharp Cheddar, Munster, and ham ready to go (I do not prefer the honey baked variety). Place one slice of bread (butter side down) onto a large iron skillet. Evenly layer Cheddar, ham, and Munster (in that order) on top of this slice of bread. Top the resulting stack with the second slice of buttered bread (butter side up). Cook this sandwich over medium-high heat, being careful to hold it together while flipping before the cheese has a chance to melt. Also be sure to develop a brownish golden color on the bread, and ensuring that the cheese is thoroughly melted.

I am also a fan of potato chips on a cold-cut sandwich… but the texture and taste of the bread on this sandwich provides the same texture satisfaction without the use of chips. This salty crunch is perfectly paired with the gooey cheese center.

270 Jake March 10, 2013 at 12:29 am

The Hang-over aka “The Jake”

Salami layered with your three favorite cheeses. Mine are Cheddar, Monetary Jack, and Gouda. All on Pretzel bread. Then throw it in the convection oven to get the cheese melted. It could also over a grill or in a microwave if needed. Super easy, super delicious!

I invented it in college, hence the name. Our college even put it on the menu due to public demand! It has saved my day-after-a-night-out on countless occasions.

271 Jared March 10, 2013 at 12:37 am

While the classic chicken salad on a hoagie is amazing, it becomes a true masterpiece when you add in dried cranberries and sprinkle Goldfish over the top (just under the second slice of bread). The Goldfish provide a slight cheesy crunch that contrasts perfectly with the tart cranberries. Adding pecans gives it a strong undercurrent of flavor that is hard to beat.

272 Ezekiel March 10, 2013 at 1:06 am

Grilled Banana-Bacon Sandwich

Caution: This sandwich can get messy.

Get two pieces of wheat bread, spread a small amount of olive oil or butter on both sides.

Obtain a well-ripened banana and cut it in half lengthwise and widthwise (you should end up with four quarters, each with a flat side).

In one pan, grill four pieces of bacon.
In another, place bread down and begin to grill like you’re making a grilled cheese. Use medium-low heat.

When the first side of the bread is just getting crispy, flip the pieces over. Smear Adam’s Natural Peanut Butter on one piece and Nutella on the other. Grill until peanut butter and nutella begin to get viscous. Remove from pan.

Add two banana quarters and two pieces of bacon to each piece of bread.

Using your right to bare arms in conjunction with your man-hands, connect the two sides of your sandwich and press firmly. Enjoy.

273 J.Doe March 10, 2013 at 1:26 am

Rosemary olive oil bread or garlic bread
1-2 slices Honey baked ham
1-2 slices Swiss or Provolone Cheese
Another piece of bread to top if desired
Microwave or toaster oven
1-2 Hardboiled egg/s, halved
Baby spinach
Drizzle olive oil
Peperoncini, kalamata olives, jalapeno slices, etc

274 Stroker March 10, 2013 at 1:30 am

The way I do bologna:

Two slices of white bread (or ‘lite bread’ as we call it in the South)
One or two thick slices of deli cut bologna depending on the cut
A good slice of purple onion
Add mustard to one slice of bread, ketchup and hot sauce to the other
Combine and its an outdoorsman’s bologna sandwich

I originally saw that recipe in either Outdoor Life or Field and Stream

My other suggestion is bacon and peanut butter, lightly coat two slices of white bread with peanut butter and add enough bacon to make a decent sandwich, It gives a nice combination of salty and sweet, sounds odd but one of my college roommates turned me onto it and I’ve been in love with it ever since.

275 Aaron March 10, 2013 at 1:35 am

Cream cheese, avocado, turkey on a plain bagel. Roasted red peppers, pickled vegetables and basil leaves are a good way to add some flavor to any sandwich.

276 Seth Baxter March 10, 2013 at 1:59 am

Fried bologna
Egg
Cheese

277 Brian March 10, 2013 at 3:34 am

One of my favorites over the summer is an upgraded PBJ. I usually use wheat bread, any sort of peanut butter and grape jelly. After spreading the PB and J, I add bacon and a few hearty slices of lettuce.

278 Viktor March 10, 2013 at 4:23 am

My ultimate sandie for hike tours(cause i prefer hiking 8kms and up):
Baguette(better, if sprinkled with cheese)
Half of a chick breast butterfly(the best, if you have leftover from last night’s grilled cix)
English mustard(the hotter,the merryer)
Mayo+pickled, ground horseradish mixed
Tomato, cucumber, onion(red prefered, for more funky looks)
Ham, cheese with big holes in it(we have Pannonia here in Hungary, but you can look for Maasdamer, it’s pretty much the same)
The secret of his sandie, is to cut everything to freaking thin slices, otherwise you can’t stuff it in your mouth

Here we go:Cut the baguette in half lengthwise(if it’s longer,than 1′ use only half of it). Toast them lightly, put the mustard on the bottom side, and the mayo-radush combo on the top side.
Cut the chicken to very thin slices, and dryfry it(i use my wok with only a drop of oil, to get that charred taste). No problem, if it gets dry, the vegies have enough juice.
Put the chicken on the mustard, now comes the onion(not too much, you don’t want to smell.) sprinkle wth a little bit of salt, now the ham, cheese, then cucumber, and finally the tomato. Put the topside on, and PRESS IT. Pressing down the sandwich is like mixing the 2 parts of a bi-component glue: activates the tastes. All you need to do, is to roll the whole thing in plastic foil( no tin foil, cause your sandie has acidic stuff in it, and gonna taste like metal).
The thing is, the top layers gonna come together as the most delicious sauce you can imagine.
If you really going for a hike, i suggest chewing on some fresh parsely as dessert(in case of onion breath). Enjoy

279 Nate E. March 10, 2013 at 4:35 am

One of my favorite sandwiches that was a staple in boot camp (due to the need for excessive calories and no time to eat) was as follows:

2 slices of bread
1 chicken fried steak (or chicken)
peanut butter
cheese (shredded cheddar)
ketchup

These were combined in no particular order and occasionally included other ingredients at hand.

I also enjoy experimenting with tuna and have found that using BBQ sauce or French dressing is an excellent substitution for mayonnaise. I will combine pickle relish and mustard with one of the aforementioned ingredients and have always found the resulting sandwich to be delicious.

280 Dane March 10, 2013 at 4:40 am

Toast with in this order, garlic butter, ham/bacon, mustard pickles, tomato, pepper, cheese, grilled until warm through and the cheese is melted.

Also, buttering the outside of a cheese toastie for the perfect golden toast :D

281 Latham Emmons March 10, 2013 at 8:10 am

Bread pan toasted in butter, sausage, bacon, over easy egg, pepper jack, mayo, heart attack.

282 mattoomba March 10, 2013 at 8:44 am

Argh! This topic is depressing me and my processed carb-avoiding self! The craving for a Reuben or a BLT is growing within! Rye, Thousand Island dressing, sauerkraut, yum!

283 Jim Miller March 10, 2013 at 9:06 am

This one doesn’t get drilled but I imagine it would add a little extra flavor to an already good sandwich.
Use any type of bread you wish however I prefer Lumberjack Wheat.
Layer it as follows
One slice of bread
Store brand Dijon mustard
1 slice Cotto Salami, the kind with the pepper corns in it
1 slice of sharp Cheddar cheese
1 slice cotto salami
A layer of smooth peanut butter. I use Skippy
The other slice of bread

Variations could include bread and butter picked and onions but I usually make it just as described.
Enjoy with some potato or corn chips and a glass of iced tea

284 Steve March 10, 2013 at 9:18 am

Aside from the normal fixtures of ham and cheese, a thin amount of spicy mustard and pesto makes a great change-up.

285 Dan Shorten March 10, 2013 at 10:34 am

This is a quick and tasty breakfast sandwich but is good any time of day.

Toast 2 slices of bread and spread mayo on them.
Cook 2 preciik

286 Dan Shorten March 10, 2013 at 10:40 am

This is a quick and tasty breakfast sandwich that works any time of day.

Toast 2 slices of bread and spread mayo on them.
Warm up 2 pieces of precooked sausage in the microwave oven and split them lengthwise. Place them on the toast and cover with a slice of cheddar and enjoy.

287 Shaun S. March 10, 2013 at 11:20 am

The Cherry Cricket:
Ingredients:

Two slices of sourdough bread
4 thick slices of corned beef or pastrami
Herbed cream cheese
One fried egg over easy
Cholula Mayo
4-5 strips of mild green Colorado chilies that have been blanched (Or any other mild green pepper)
Butter (The real stuff)

Cooking Directions:

1 Tblsp. Of butter into a large cast iron skillet on medium heat and let it melt.
Put both sliced of sourdough bread in to the pan and let it toast for about 3 min.
Remove bread and set aside.
Fry egg to over easy, remove and set aside.
In one Tbls. Of regular mayo in a small cup, add 3-4 dashes of Cholula hot sauce and mix well.
Deseed and slice green chilies in to ½ in. slices and blanch. Set aside.

Sandwich Assembly:

On the non-toasted side of one of the slices of your sourdough bread, spread your mixed mayo very liberally.
On the other slice, spread your herb cream cheese on the non-toasted side very liberally.
Place the slices of corned beef or pastrami on the non-toasted side of one of your sourdough slices.
Place your fried egg on top of the corned beef or pastrami.
Place chilies on top of the fried egg.
Finish the Cricket off by placing the other slice of sourdough on top with the cream cheese side down.
Eat ;)

288 Todd March 10, 2013 at 11:25 am

EPIC Grilled Cheese

My wife found this sandwich online and makes it for me when I’ve been an extra good boy.

Ingredients

* 8 slices country-style white bread, sliced 1/2-inch thick
* 12 ounces farmhouse Cheddar, sliced
* 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
* 12 slices bacon, cooked to desired doneness
* 1 green apple, thinly sliced
* Dijon mustard

Directions

Heat griddle or large skillet over medium-low heat. Alternatively you can use your panini press if you have one.

Assemble sandwich: Generously spread Dijon on 4 slices of bread. Top with slices of Cheddar, 3 pieces of bacon, apple slices and additional Cheddar. Place the remaining bread on top and spread with butter. Place on skillet buttered-side down and butter the remaining side. Cook until cheese is slightly melted and bread is browned. Flip the sandwich and continue to cook until cheese is thoroughly melted and sandwich is golden brown.

Whether you select it or not, I hope you enjoy it as much I as have.

289 Ryan March 10, 2013 at 12:09 pm

You guys should make an article on micro-brewing for saint paddy day

290 Alonso Enriquez March 10, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Mom’s Tuna fish sandwich

Not sure if this is the norm in Cuban families but it was and is our family. First time I ordered and ate the common American version found it disappointing.

Mom’s version:
1 block of Philly creme cheese
2 cans of tuna fish (oil never water)
tbbl of mustard

with a fork blend it all together into a fully mixed and spreadable paste. Dad would add lettuce to the sandwich, mom never did. Other family members have at times added other ingredients personally prefer
mom’s best. Goes without saying that a sandwich is only as good as the bread that surrounds the makings. In our family we use a good quality wheat bread, mom did it on white.

Mom always served it with a hot bowl of a meatless soup.

ENJOY!

291 Matthew March 10, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Pretty tasty breakfast paired with coffee and a sunrise.
Toast
pb&j
chunky peanut butter
honey
thinly sliced apples
thinly sliced oranges

292 Matt March 10, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Macaroni and Cheese Grilled Cheese:

Exactly like it sounds. A normal grilled cheese sandwich, with Kraft instant macaroni and cheese.

Put 2 slices of bread on the griddle, with a slice of American cheese on each one. When they’re ready to be combined, put a scoop of macaroni and cheese on one of the slices of bread before flipping the other one on top of it to finish the sandwich.

293 Travis March 10, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Hi men! Here is my recipe for Travis’ Amazing Breakfast Experience:

-toast 2 Eggo Waffles
-fry up some Spam in thin strips (bacon-flavored if you can find it)
-fry up an egg
-include a slice of cheddar cheese
-add a splash of Ortega or some other taco sauce
-put it all together with the waffles as the bun, mmm!

294 Christian March 10, 2013 at 1:14 pm

2 slices of white bread
1 bratwurst sliced in half
some heated pastrami
a generous dollop of chili con queso

It’s an extremely heavy, unhealthy sandwich. But it sure does taste good.

295 Dustin March 10, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Very Simple Sandwich:

White bread
Jiff peanut butter
Smuckers grape jelly
Dill pickles – crunchy

The sweet of the jelly with the tart and crunch of the pickle are delicious. Dad taught me that sandwich and I still enjoy it from time to time.

296 Michael S. Hilton March 10, 2013 at 1:48 pm

One of my favorites is very simple. Slice a peeled apple on the sides so it resembles potato chips, arrange on bread, place cheese slices on top and cover with another slice of bread. Peanut butter makes a nice addition as well.

297 Barry March 10, 2013 at 2:08 pm

To this day, one of my favourite sandwiches is something my mom used to make with leftover roast beef. I don’t remember if she had a name for it, but it’s kind of like a chicken salad sandwich, only with roast beef. Basically you mince the roast beef along with some bread and butter pickles, in a food processor, then add mayonnaise and pickle juice to taste (and of course salt and pepper if you like), and then smush it between two pieces of bread. I’ve tried various additions over the years, but that’s the basics. Some additions you might want to try include horseradish, hot sauce, onions, different types of pickles, various spices, lettuce, etc. Use your imagination.

298 Steve Cavanaugh March 10, 2013 at 2:23 pm

A sandwich I’ve loved ever since I worked in the restaurant that featured it on the menu (alas, no longer) was called “The Colonel’s Favorite”.

This is a 3-decker (like a club sandwich) made with two slices of pumpernickel and one of regular rye.

Layer 1: Slice of pumpernickel spread with thousand island dressing, topped with pastrami and swiss cheese.

Layer 2: Slice of rye, topped with roast turkey slices and topped with cole slaw made of red cabbage (very thinly sliced) and mayo, then topped with the 2nd slice of pumpernickel.

Cut sandwich in half or, using toothpicks to hold together, in quarters in the traditional club sandwich style.

299 Derek March 10, 2013 at 3:07 pm

My specialty:

1 slice of white bread (generic brand)
1 slice American cheese product

Place cheese product on bread. Fold bread. Consume, and regret being a humanities major.

300 Joshua Lanphear March 10, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I’m gonna go with my standard childhood sandwich. As a kid, we often lived paycheck to paycheck in a house full of men, and one woman (my Mother, naturally). Because there were three men, we could eat her out of house and home in a matter of days, usually resorting to the scraps in the pantry by Tuesday, before refreshing the fridge and cupboards every Friday morning when my Dad got his paycheck (he was a Truck Driver who worked nights). After the fridge would be nearly bare, with not much else left, I would look around for whatever we had on hand. And thus, my creation was born.

THE JOSHUA (I was a kid, naturally I named it after myself)

2 Slices White Bread (substitute for Sourdough if Available)
1 Cup Chicken Breast (refrigerated leftover Chicken is best)
Iceberg Lettuce
1 Roma Tomato
Ranch Dressing

1.) First, spread your ranch dressing liberally along the bottom slice of bread, this will be your base and hold the meat into place while eating. We never ran out of Ranch dressing in our house, it was always a staple. It became a favorite of mine for many things.

2.) Place the Chicken Breast, sliced into strips, Carving Board style, onto the ranch dressing.

3.) Next, pull the Iceberg lettuce apart, using large leaves placed over the Chicken Breast.

4.) Slice the Roma Tomato into 4 even slices and place them into a square pattern on top of the lettuce. Place the top slice of bread on the sandwich, and Enjoy!

This sandwich is essentially a small salad on a sandwich, made with what a small child had on hand. It’s simple, cool, and refreshing. Perfect for a hot, summer day when not much else is available.

BONUS: As a quick, refreshing treat when even less is available. Spread your ranch dressing along one slice of bread, and fold over. It is “bread and butter” with Ranch dressing in place. Incredibly refreshing and surprisingly satisfying on a nice, hot day when your appetite just needs something quick. Ranch dressing is a great condiment for those sweltering days, that many kids enjoy, as well as adults.

Comments on this entry are closed.