Upgrade the Humble Bologna Sandwich + AoM Month of Sandwiches Group Project

by Brett on March 8, 2013 · 483 comments

in Cooking, Food & Drink, Travel & Leisure

sandwich

Men and sandwiches have always gone together. Sandwiches originally started out as a food enjoyed by men who wanted something convenient to fuel their nights of drinking and gaming. The food famously got its name from John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, who, in order to keep his hands from getting greasy while munching on a slab of meat during a game of cribbage, had his valet stick the meat between two slices of bread. Fast, inexpensive, portable, and filling, the sandwich grew in popularity as a convenient meal for any old time.

I know I love me a good sandwich. Reubens, Cubans, Tortas, Monte Cristos. If there’s meat, cheese, and other goodness stuffed between two slices of bread, I like it. But one of my favorites growing up, and still today, is the humble bologna sandwich.

It was standard fare whenever I brown-bagged it to school. In the summertime, it was an easy sandwich to make for my seven-year-old self. Just pull out the meat from the cold-cuts drawer in the fridge, slap some mustard on some Iron Kids Bread, and you’re in business. All washed down with a big glass of  cold milk.

As an adult, I’ve pretty much eliminated bologna sandwiches from my diet because, let’s be honest, they’re not the healthiest thing to eat by any stretch. But every few months, I get a hankering for one (especially during the summer). So I’ll go to the grocery store, buy my bologna sandwich supplies, and have a bologna sandwich splurge. It’s a wonderful thing.

Two Simple Upgrades for Your Bologna Sandwich to Make it Even Awesomer

There isn’t too much you can do to make a bologna sandwich any better. Its beauty is in its simplicity: bologna, white bread, American cheese, mustard, and maybe some lettuce and tomato. But below I humbly suggest two simple upgrades that can make your bologna sandwich even better.

frybologna

Fry up your bologna for extra tasty goodness.

1. Fry up your bologna. Growing up, my family just ate our bologna cold, straight from the fridge. It never crossed my mind that you could warm it up. Why would you? Bologna is a cold-cut after all. But a few years ago, I came across an article where a person recommended frying up your bologna before putting it in the sandwich. Intrigued, I gave it a try. When I bit into my sandwich I felt like Paul on the Road to Damascus or Neo taking the Red Pill. I experienced a paradigm shift. Fried bologna sandwiches are awesome. If you’ve never done it before, give it a try. You won’t regret it.

As it cooks, the bologna gives off a nice savory smell. Sort of like Spam. The center of the bologna puffs up, causing it to look like those half-ball jumping toys. I like to put my cheese on the sandwich and then the hot bologna on the cheese. The heat from the meat gives the cheese just the right amount of melt.

chips

Potato chips give your sandwich a nice, salty crunch.

2. Put potato chips on the sandwich. This was something my mom taught me. The potato chips give the otherwise soft texture of a bologna sandwich a nice, salty crunch. Personally, I think Ruffles are the best accompaniment to a bologna sandwich. The ridges make the difference.

I actually enjoy putting chips (and Cheetos — Cheetos make every sandwich better) on most of my cold-cut sandwiches. I’ve met a few people who are chips-on-sandwich people, too. It’s fun introducing those who have no idea about the concept and seeing them become zealous converts.

The Art of Manliness Month of Sandwiches Group Project

dagwood

As I said earlier, I love a good sandwich and I know I’m not alone in my appreciation for this gratifying gastronomical genre. I’m always on the lookout for new sandwich combos and I thought,  what better place to get some ideas than from the amazing AoM community? That’s when I had the idea for the Art of Manliness Month of Sandwiches Group Project.

Here’s how I see it working:

1. If you have a sandwich recipe that’s a personal favorite and you think the whole world needs to know about it, please leave it in the comments below. I’m looking for all kinds of sandwiches. Simple, complex, classics with a twist, international sandwiches, breakfast sandwiches, whatever. If there’s stuff in between bread and it tastes good, I want to see it.

2. We’ll comb through and try those that look to be the best sandwich recipe submissions.

3. Every weekday in the month of April (hereby declared the AoM Month of Sandwiches), I’ll publish one new amazing sandwich recipe along with pics of me putting it together and eating the crap out of it. By the end of the month, you’ll have 22 new sandwich recipes in your sandwich-making arsenal.

To entice folks to submit a sandwich, I’ll be giving away a signed copy of Manvotionals to each person whose sandwich we feature during the Month of Sandwiches. Sound good?

Looking forward to reading your submissions! Long live the sandwich!

101 Adri @ A Yellow Bicycle March 9, 2013 at 1:32 am

Messy Sandwich:

2 slices of bread
Real peanut butter
Chocolate chips
Banana

Spread a thick layer of peanut butter on one slice of bread. Cover the peanut butter with a single layer of chocolate chips, lightly pressing them into the PB. Put 5-6 thin slices of banana on top. Put the other slice of bread on top. Grill until both sides are golden brown and the chocolate chips are melted.

This sandwich is a family tradition and it tastes crazy good! More details and pics can be found on my blog, here: http://ayellowbicycle.blogspot.com/2011/02/messy-sandwiches.html

102 Sneaky Pete March 9, 2013 at 1:59 am

Personally, I think that any good sammich is best made grilled. To that end, the best sammiches I have ever made have gone something like this:

Get two slices of sourdough bread. They should be as big or bigger than your slices of meat. Butter the outside of both slices of bread. Place the first slice down on a cold griddle — don’t turn the griddle on until your sammich is assembled. Cover the bread with sharp cheddar cheese — I prefer Tillamook. On top of the cheese, you need about a quarter pound of lean turkey slices. I prefer oven roasted turkey, but that’s just me. Next you need more cheese, but if you have the opportunity, change it up. I like to get pepper jack in the middle of my sammiches, personally. Adds a little kick. On top of the pepper jack should be more meat. But why stick with turkey? Get at least a quarter pound of top-notch roast beef. I find that roast beef complements turkey wonderfully. If you want to add another meat, you’re welcome to. Otherwise, throw some crushed olives on top of your roast beef (you’d be surprised how much this touch adds). Cover up with more cheese — my personal favorite is a good Muenster, from my Vaterland. If you choose to add more meat, like bacon, salami, or ham, that should go beneath another layer of cheese. Finish off with the bread, obviously.

The key to this whole monstrosity is grilling it. With over a half pound of meat, this sammich is usually at least three inches thick, so it’s important to grill very slowly. Turn it on a medium-low heat and leave it for at least 20 minutes before you turn it. Leave it on the other side for a bit less, maybe 15 minutes. (If you have a thicker sammich, it might take even longer. Also, it depends on how dark you like your bread. I prefer a wonderful golden brown.) Before you take your monstrosity off the griddle, cut it in half. If you have a particularly huge sammich (or a weak-sauce grill), your middle still might be a touch cold, but that can be remedied. Flip your sammich halves up and have the cut faces go directly on the griddle. 30 seconds should do nicely to get heat directly to the still-cool middle. This will also add a nice crunch to your cheese.

Your manly monstrosity is now complete. The keys here are as follows: diversity of cheese, huge quantity of meat, quality of sourdough bread, and patience in grilling.

With a sammich this big, milk is the best beverage choice. It keeps everything settled and washed down, something that no iced tea or carbonated beverage could ever do.

103 Conor Cummings March 9, 2013 at 2:01 am

Two of my favorite sandwiches growing up both made for me by my dad are
Ham salami and cheese between to white slices of bread either flattened with the palm of your hand or if that’s too far and your more of a sandwich purist you don’t have to..and the next is a ham and cheese on hard roll ..but toast the hard roll in the oven so every thing melts together

104 Austin Quillen March 9, 2013 at 2:25 am

okay, so one day while rummaging through leftovers, I discovered this gem:

white or wheat bread (I prefer wheat), cold chicken, mashed potatoes and mayonnaise. it sounds odd, but it’s wonderful.

105 Jesse March 9, 2013 at 3:32 am

Some cappicola,which is similar to bacon, mozzarella cheese, some spicy mustard on French bread.

106 Stefan March 9, 2013 at 5:10 am

I’ve had this in Vietnam once, and ever since, it has been my absolute favorite.

-White French baguette, cut in half lengthwise.
-Pork belly, slowly braised in soy sauce, sliced, about 1/8th inch thick.
-Mango, in 1/8th inch slices.
-Avocado, mashed.
-Chilli-lime-cilantro dressing (I’ve tried recreating it, the closest I’ve come is 1tsp lime juice, half a cup of chopped cilantro, 1tsp of ‘sambal’/Indonesian chilli paste, and 1tsp rice bran oil)

Make sure the bread is crispy fresh, and toast it for a few secs once you’ve cut it open.

107 Daniel March 9, 2013 at 5:39 am

Peanut Butter Bologna Sandwich
Toast
Peanut Butter
American Cheese
Yellow mustard

I heartily approve of the simplicity of a good bologna sandwich. However, a long time ago, in a confused rush of preparing multiple sandwiches for a group of people, I quite by accident stumbled across my bliss. The Peanut Butter Bologna Sandwich. Constructing this oddity is simple. Toast slathered with creamy or chunky peanut butter, a single slice of bologna on each half, yellow mustard on top of that, then a single slice of good ole american cheese to bond the halves together. I may be the only person who enjoys this, but I humbly suggest a taste.

108 Erik Andersen March 9, 2013 at 5:49 am

My favorite sandwich was born out of a college night with a desperate hankering for “something”. From the few things in my fridge I found, a bagel, spicy salsa, cheddar cheese, and salami. I laid the salami in pattern that covered the bagel hole, added a nice thick slice of cheese, poured on a layer of salsa, and encapsulated everything inside the other bagel half. I popped this in the microwave and nuked the sucker until the salami got wavy and the cheese started running. The aroma and taste of piping hot salsa, salami, and cheddar was straight goodness.
Since that first night I’ve tried several variations of this concoction and each one has been delicious. To make this in whatever way your hankering for “something” demands, all you need is:
-Two slices of bread anything.
-Hard salami, pepperoni, peppered salami… anything of a vaguely salami nature.
-Any cheese of your liking. So long as it comes in slices. For the adventurous I’d recommend goat cheese.
-Salsa of all kinds. Just not sweet salsa. That’s disgusting.
*Ketchup works too, but that really tastes like a college budget.
-A microwave to melt all of this together until the cheese starts running.
P.S. Other cold cuts work as well but salami is one of the few ingredients that vastly affects the outcome of the flavor.

109 Brendan March 9, 2013 at 6:06 am

Two recommendations –
1) Peanut butter and chilis. Learned this in Haiti, where the local peanut butter – mamba – is made with scotch bonnet peppers. I like a nutty whole grain bread – something to compliment the peanut butter. Staying true to Haitian mamba, get the all-natural peanut butter, the kind with only two ingredients (no JIF here, gents). A healthy slathering of peanut butter, topped off with sliced, fresh chilis and hot sauce (I prefer Chalula brand), and a handful of fresh sliced cabbage.

2) Start with good artisan or rustic Italian bread. Mash a can of cannelini beans with a fork. Add fresh garlic, lemon, olive oil and salt/pepper to taste. Tear up some parsley and/or basil and mix it in. In a separate bowl, mix a can of tuna, celery, onion, lemon and olive oil and brine-cured (very important) black olives. Layer the beans and tuna on thick slices. Healthy, filling, very quick and delicious.

110 Ed March 9, 2013 at 6:31 am

Not as fancy as the ones folks have already suggested, but I made up a sandwich of my own when I was about 7 years old.

-Two slices of wheat bread
-Spread a thick layer of Miracle Whip
-Clean a large carrot, cut it into “planks” about 4 inches long, and lay them on the bread.
-Eat!

Not elegant or fancy, but it was great when I was a kid!

I probably got this idea after having my absolute favorite sandwich in the world: the homegrown tomato sandwich.

111 Sebastian P March 9, 2013 at 6:36 am

Hey,

This breakfast classic comes to mind, I call it the heart attack sandwich:

8 slices of bacon
2 eggs
melting cheese (I usually use american)

Fry the bacon in a pan, now fry the eggs in the rendered bacon grease, assemble the sandwich like you would a bacony, eggy, grilled cheese, and fry that bad boy in the remaining bacon grease. Mmm Mmm, now there’s a hangover buster.

Enjoy

112 Tristan March 9, 2013 at 6:45 am

One from Australia:

Fresh soft white bread, a good thick spread of peanut butter (crunchy or smooth) on one half, then a medium thick spread of Vegemite on the the other half. The saltyness of the Vegemite really goes well with the creaminess of the peanut butter and it’s dead easy to make. Enjoy!

113 Will March 9, 2013 at 6:49 am

Wow, lots of sandwich ideas already!

First off, Brett: When you fry your bologna, slice it first. That way it will lie flat on the pan, and the whole slice will cook. (That’s how we do Taylor Ham, a delicacy generally only found in the Garden State.)

OK, here’s my recipe for what I call the Big Willy sandwich:
(Other than the bread, the amount of all the ingredients is completely up to the sandwich maker. If you like more ham or bacon, go for it.)

Pumpernickel bread (two slices)
Black Forest Ham
Bacon (cooked til crispy)
Provolone cheese
Dijonnaise (a combination of Dijon mustard and mayonnaise)

Butter one side of each slice of bread (like you’re making grilled cheese)
Place ham, bacon, provolone, and dijonnaise on one slice, and put the other slice on top. Grill on a pan until the bread is toasty and the cheese begins to melt.

Enjoy with the beverage of your choice (I choose a cold beer.)

114 Jarod March 9, 2013 at 6:53 am

My father would make this sandwich for my bother and I after we finished some yard work in the summers when we were home. We always topped it of with a big glass of milk!

1. Whole wheat or 15 grain bread
2. Miracle Whip, (mayonnaise just won’t do)
3. Thick sliced sharp cheddar cheese
4. 4 saltine crackers spread out (that’s all that would fit).

The tang of the sharp cheddar would contrast with the sweetness in the miracle whip and the crunch of the crackers just topped it off. Everyone I know thinks this is weird but it has to be one of my all time favorites! Thanks dad!

115 AL March 9, 2013 at 6:55 am

Kippered herring, havarti cheese with dill, mushrooms boiled in butter right out of the can and some spicey brown mustard on pumper-nickel.

116 Matt March 9, 2013 at 7:00 am

Rye bread, lettuce, tomato, turkey, and horseradish. A little bit of a milder cheese like Muenster is good. Couldn’t be tastier. Toast it lightly, if you like.

117 Will March 9, 2013 at 7:05 am

@guywappo: “I understand american people don’t know how to eat properly…”

Sez you. I guess you’ve never eaten real barbecue. Your loss.

118 Chris March 9, 2013 at 7:06 am

My favorite is a BLT with the T being tuna. Toasted whole wheat bread, tuna (not tuna salad), crispy bacon, and some light mayo. Provolone cheese is optional.

119 Mike W March 9, 2013 at 7:10 am

“The Semi-Traditionalist”
- Two slices of hearty white bread, toasted.
- Apply mayo lightly to one slice of toast.
- On the second slice of toast spread hot pepper jam. I recommend a variety with fruit in it such as strawberry jalapeno.
- Place one slice of Co-Jack cheese over the pepper jam.
- Fry up an egg the way you like it and slap it in the middle of the sandwhich. I prefer either scrambled of over-hard.

120 Ethan March 9, 2013 at 7:11 am

Avocado on whole wheat toast!
Just add some salt and pepper.

Great open faced with half and avocado, or as a whole sandwich.

121 CoastRanger March 9, 2013 at 7:14 am

Only in Ireland. My Dublin cousins introduced me to this delicious sandwich. Returning from the pub one evening, we stopped at a “chip shop” where they bought what we call french fries and they call “chips.” Back home, they made them into sandwiches–just good bread, slathered with butter, and filled with “chips.” Amazingly good!

122 "Careful!" Adam March 9, 2013 at 7:20 am

“Careful!” Adams’ Epicurean Bacon Baguette.

When I was a Student in Cambridge, there was a Sandwich shop I used to frequent, now changed owners and names, but it’s still there. They offered a wide range of Sandwiches, and for only 30 pence extra, hot free range british bacon would be layered in there.

At least once a week, my lunch break would lead me and my best friend there, and he would constantly try a new combination off their menu. I stuck with a single recipe, which I will share:

12″ Baguette, Warm from the oven white or wholemeal.
6 Rashers of smoked streaky bacon.
Basil Pesto
Roasted Mediterranean Vegetables*
Soft Creamy Goats Cheese

*I can find this at local deli’s, usually as a mix, but Aubergine, Mushroom, Onion, Sweet Peppers and Artichoke, simple roast peppers might be more widely available, and will do as a substitute.

Fry or Oven Bake your Bacon Rashers, while the meat is cooking, slice your baguette along it’s length, and spread liberally with Basil Pesto.

Place the veg gently in the baguette, then thickly slice the goats cheese and add it on top.

The hot bacon then goes on top, and the whole delicious sandwich goes inside you.

Champion.

123 Willy Cunningham March 9, 2013 at 7:20 am

Here at Cunning-Hammer Forge the “go-to” fare is the noble PB&J or often PB&H (honey from our own hives). Each blacksmith can craft his or her own sandwich from our homemade bread and a good, ever changing, selection of hand crafted spreads. I barter for jam and jelly with our honey. A PB&J sandwich will power one of my young “strikers” for up-to 3 hours.

124 Xfire March 9, 2013 at 7:28 am

My favorite sandwich is Egg Salad (chopped eggs,finely diced celery and onion, a dash of salt and black pepper then enough mayo to make it stick). Spread Dark seeded rye with chunky Bleu cheese dressing. Add the egg salad. Chow down. This also goes great with Ruffles on the side, not on this particular sandwich. Don’t forget to keep it cold if you are not going to eat it right away!

125 Adam March 9, 2013 at 7:28 am

In my days of working at a sub shop, I frequently got to experiment with different sandwich combinations. One of my personal favorites involved mixing fried chicken fingers and cold genoa salami, topping it with provolone cheese and the usual assortment of lettuce, pickles, onions, tomatoes, with just a smear of mayonnaise to keep the french bread moist.

126 Claude March 9, 2013 at 7:33 am

Ingredients:

- toasted white bread, 2 slices
- fried Spam, 2 pcs ~0.5 inch thick
- pineapple, 1 ring
- mayonnaise

Construct infredients in the only way reasonable and devour with immense delight. Perfect for a energy-packing pit stop like a lunch break on a long hike.

127 dmayo March 9, 2013 at 7:41 am

Fried PB&J
Pan fry just like a grilled cheese. Careful, the peanut butter gets runny.
@Tyler M: your hard salami need butter.

128 John M March 9, 2013 at 7:47 am

The perfect post-workout protein sandwich:

I get all the ingredients for this sandwich from Whole Foods because the bread and their fresh-ground peanut butter just seem to go together. Whole Foods has this amazing machine that grinds the peanuts right in front of you. It’s delicious peanut butter without anything artificial in it.

Use two slices of Whole Foods multi-grain bread. On one slice, thickly apply honey roasted peanut butter to one slice of bread. Next, thickly apply chocolate peanut butter (the peanut grinder at Whole Foods has peanuts and chocolate chips in it). Then put cover on slice of bread with banana slices. I like to slice my bananas to about 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch in thickness. Put the two halves together and enjoy a protein rich and very filling sandwich!

129 Manuel March 9, 2013 at 7:57 am

Some baguette bread sliced in long halfs and just a little bit fried in butter. A few slices of sweet white onion. Peanut butter. Sliced black olives. Enjoy.

130 Josh March 9, 2013 at 7:57 am

Adam which shop in Cambridge is that?? Sam Smileys??
I have to say I have mixed feelings towards Usa sarnies after my year in boston. Some where great but its amazing how different they are. Especially cheese… American swiss etc all seemed similar in my book! Though they do melt well.

Nothing like cheddar and branston pickle.

Or good wiltshire ham (proper thick slices of cooked pork leg) with some stilton and a chopped pickle onion on hovis best of both bread!

131 Rahul March 9, 2013 at 7:58 am

I might be the only one suggesting a vegetarian option here. This sandwhich is is yummy and for years was the standard breakfast on Sundays at my home.

You need:
Medium-Thick sliced Tomatoes
Thinly sliced Cucumbers
Butter at Room Temperature
Salt-and-Pepper Mix

Toast your bread slightly (a 2 or 3) on the toaster and apply the butter. Your butter should be soft enough that the heat of the toast melts it giving the bread a lovely golden shine to it. Liberally layer your cucumbers and tomatoes and then sprinkle some salt-and-pepper mix on the top. Put the second slice on top and press down on the sandwhich as though trying to close it shut. Enjoy!

If available(check out your nearest Indian grocery store) for Coriander and/or Mint chutney. Spread this on the 2nd slice of your bread for a zing-ier tasting sandwhich :)

132 Joseph Knitter March 9, 2013 at 7:58 am

The best sandwich is the grilled cheese and every time I eat one it transports me back to my dad making them with margarine spread (Country Crock), Wonder bread and sliced American cheese. It was always served with Campbell’s Tomato Soup.

Nothing is wrong with that version of the sandwich, but it can be improved.

1. Oven bake some bacon strips.
2. Instead of standard white bread, use marbled rye.
3. Instead of margarine, spread on softened butter.
4. Instead of sliced American, use Jaarlsburg.
5. Add the bacon, some sauteed mushrooms and a good grainy mustard like Maille.
6. Serve with a Roasted Red Pepper Bisque.

This sandwich will still take you back home and satisfy the kid in you but will leave the adult part content as well.

133 Scott Conant March 9, 2013 at 8:06 am

My sons and I are also bologna connoisseurs and have another upgrade to your bologna upgrade:

lightly toasted bread
Mayonnaise
Spicy brown mustard
Fried bologna
Extra sharp Cheddar cheese (melted on the bologna
Doritos (any flavor – EXTRA crunchy!)
Lettuce

Dip the hot sandwich into French onion dip

Enjoy!!!

134 Jim Ashberry March 9, 2013 at 8:07 am

A friend of mine back in the late 1970s taught me how to make a reuben sandwich, and I’ve refined it since then. It uses Russian dressing and Grey Poupon mustard instead of 1000 Island dressing. It’s one of my all-time favorites. Found here on my blog: http://anurgetocook.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/reuben-sandwich-revisited.pdf

135 Marco March 9, 2013 at 8:09 am

My eyes widened with delight as I scrolled down and discovered your suggestion for improving the bologna sandwich. This is exactly what my dad would make for us, in fact, I can’t remember ever having bologna cold from the fridge. This was a great alternative to what we call in these parts “Taylor Ham”, but is officially product-labeled “Trenton Pork Roll”. I find it to be bitter and acidic-tasting, but bologna is all hot-dog-like deliciousness without any tang. Thanks for the memories.

136 DWGolfer March 9, 2013 at 8:17 am

My sandwich doesn’t have a name. But, I’ve been making it for 40 years. I have one every once in a while. It goes like this:

3 slices fresh white bread

First pour a glass of milk and place it in the freezer. Then start the sandwich The first slice gets peanut butter. I’m partial to Jiffy. Don’t skimp on peanut butter. Put a nice layer. The slice going on top of that gets jelly, just like your making a PBJ. Now is where the magic starts. On top that PBJ, put a fairly thick layer of marshmallow fluff. This is easy to do because it just doesn’t spread well. The last piece of bread gets peanut butter. When you bite into this you get a melding of all the flavors. The fresher the bread, the better the experience. Enjoy with now ice cold milk from the freezer.

137 Native Son March 9, 2013 at 8:21 am

Gentlemen, While not denigrating the traditional bologna sandwich (although the family tradition requires some iceberg lettuce, a slice of American cheese and a bit of mayonaisse added to Brett’s traditional recipe). I would posit that there is no one best sandwich. They’re all good.

138 Shane R March 9, 2013 at 8:26 am

I’ve always enjoyed peanut butter sandwiches. Here are three simple ones:

1) Peanut butter and Mayo on white bread. I used to work with a guy that ate these for lunch. I gave him a hard time about it until I left my lunch at home one day and he shared one of his infamous sandwiches with me. It is surprisingly good. Nothing but peanut butter and mayo. Simple sandwich.

2) Peanut butter and bologna on honey wheat bread. I went to school with a guy that turned me on to these. I read a post earlier from someone suggesting peanut butter, bologna, mustard, and other things but that is a little too complex for my taste. A good smear of peanut butter and a piece or two of bologna will suffice.

3) Peanut butter, bananas, and honey on white or wheat (preferably thicker slices). I found this lovely concoction when I went to a local deli and ordered my favorite sandwich and got my 2 year old daughter a pb, banana, and honey sandwich. I took a bit to try to get her to eat it and was like, “hey this is good.” Here is how I make it. Start out with drizzling some honey on the bread. Smear a good layer of peanut butter and then put the banana over the peanut butter (I cut the banana in half and then cut the halves in slices long ways). After the pb and bananas are in place I put some more honey over them. This sandwich gets better over time as the honey soaks into the bread.

139 Ethan March 9, 2013 at 8:32 am

My girl loves tuna but hates mayo AND mustard. So we do our tuna sandwiches with mashed avocado. Our tuna salad may look something like this:

1 12 oz. can Tuna
1/2 to a whole mashed avocado
1/2 green pepper, diced
1/4 CUP of diced tomato
1 tsp. crushed red pepper OR ground chipotle pepper

We never really measure anything, so the truth is that all of the above is done to taste.

140 Zach March 9, 2013 at 8:35 am

I just have two tips:

1)Just like you add chips to a sandwich, I add french fries to my burgers. Delicious heart attack.

2) Add bananas to your PB&Js. I think just a peanut butter and banana sandwich is great too.

141 Mr. Backer March 9, 2013 at 8:46 am

Here is one of my favorites made from leftovers. After I slow cook an eye round (incredible recipe btw) I heat up a couple of slices of the beef and place on a fresh kaiser roll with shredded lettuce, onions and horseradish sauce (sandwich pal is my favorite) Hot peppers are optional. I like to make this when I have a friend in town for gentlemen’s weekend

142 Jim March 9, 2013 at 8:52 am

I agree with and can relate to your story about bologna. I’m old enough that I would go with dad to a small store near our house and get it sliced from a long tube of bologna.

I’ve done everything you’ve mentioned in the story. I generally did mayo and picante sauce on my sandwiches. If I didn’t have time to fry the bologna, I would do the bologna in the microwave. It’s not the same I know, but if you are in a hurry it works.

143 CustoBEN March 9, 2013 at 8:52 am

Avocado Sandwich

Spread mayo onto the two slices of bread, and sprinkle pepper over them. Slice up the avocado, place it onto the bread. Cover with the second slice of bread and eat.

144 Matt Hlavinka March 9, 2013 at 9:00 am

My favorite sandwich is a cold cut with a simple coleslaw and fresh fries on top. As with every good sandwich the key lies in the fresh bread and the best thpe for this sandwich is a 6-8 inch hoagie roll because it is the perfect shape for easy handling. You can change the types of meat to suit your own tastes but I love some corned beef, hard salami and ham. The real secret is to pile it extra high with meaty goodness. Add cheese, they type is again up to you but I prefer provolone. For the coleslaw as simple recipe is just shredded cabbage,sugar,vinegar and some salt and pepper. You can then use normal French fries but whenever I make this sandwich I fry up some slices of potato so they are disk shaped the. It’s much easier to layer them so they don’t fall off the sandwich and you get a little potato in each bite. The trick is to then wrap your creation in a square of aluminum foil because if you did it right it should be leaning and falling apart because it is so stuffed. This isn’t as much a sandwich as a meal and this recipe is coming from a big ol’ lineman so it’s guarenteed to fill you up past the point you thought you could go.

145 Joseph R March 9, 2013 at 9:02 am

The raisin bread toasted cheese:

2 slices cinnamon raisin bread (store bought, or make your own)
1 slice American cheese
1 slice strong Swiss cheese
(optional: ground spices of choice, e.g. garlic)
(optional: small amount cured meat)
(optional: one slice of onion)
1 dark leafy green, rib removed (kale, red lettuce, etc.)
Hot sauce (Sriracha is best, but any will do)

Place one slice of cheese on each slice of bread. Sprinkle ground spices, if applicable. Place in toaster oven until cheese begins to melt.

Meanwhile, microwave or pan fry cured meat, if applicable. Microwaving works better for the sandwich architecture but frying tastes better. Either way, remove a significant portion of oil after cooking meat to minimize sandwich dripping. Also, you may fry slice of onion or (my preference) keep it raw, if applicable.

After sandwich is hot, remove from toaster. Tear green into chunks (to facilitate consumption so you don’t pull out the whole leaf when you bite) and add to sandwich. Add meat and onion, if applicable, and suitable amount of hot sauce (if you have to ask how much, the answer is “more”).

The sweetness of the bread with the spiciness of the sauce with the slight bitterness of the green make this a sandwich you don’t want to miss. Enjoy!

146 Jeremy Wilson March 9, 2013 at 9:13 am

Most people I know reminisce about the yummy grilled cheese sandwiches that were served in elementary school. The reason these were so tasty is that they were made of good ole’ government cheese. But with the end of the government commodity programs, alas, government cheese is gone. However, you can make a grilled cheese sandwich with a similar taste as follows:

Two slices white bread (butter outside half of both slices)

1 slice American cheese
1 slice Sharp Cheddar
1 slice Monterey Jack

Grill over medium-high heat until golden brown and cheese is melted…and voila!

Government cheese sandwich. Throw in a chocolate milk to take you back to the 4th grade.

147 Maddy Marcel March 9, 2013 at 9:17 am

This is my new favorite sandwich – I had it for the first time at the Parisian bakery Paul. I wasn’t sure I’d like it, but it’s absolutely fantastic!!! And so simple!!

Slice open a length of baguette. Spread mayonnaise on one side and a good mustard on the other. Lay several slices of salami on the mayo side (I like Applegate Farms soppressata).

Slice 6-8 French cornichons (the Roland brand is good, and easy to find) in half longwise. Lay them along the mayo side. Put everything together and you’re done!

148 AJ March 9, 2013 at 9:34 am

My take on the BLT. I call it the BATHSALT:

Bacon
Avocado
Turkey
High quality wheat bread
Sriracha
American cheese
Lettuce
Tomato

149 Adam Vedomske March 9, 2013 at 9:37 am

The Hegridge Special

This comes from one of my old scout masters and you can do an array of options with it but I will give you the classic….

Materials:
Fried egg (if you like it runny or hard either works)
3 pieces of bread
Ham
Cheese
Salt and pepper
Mayo (optional)
Butter

Take a frying pan and cook your egg to the consistency that you enjoy (salt and pepper to taste). When your egg is just about done put butter on two pieces of your bread slap one piece butter down on frying pan with cheese and ham (or any meat sometimes we would have Virginian Salty Ham which made it extra good if you’re into that.) and you put the non-buttered slice of bread on to trap the heat in and make a sort of grilled cheese and ham sandwich. Then once your egg is done put the egg on the non-buttered piece and top it off with the other buttered piece. Once the one side is golden brown flip sandwich and press down with spatula until new side is brown and remove from pan and enjoy!

Some variations are different cheeses we would use American cheese but you can have any type of cheese and I’ve seen tomatoes added to the ham and cheese side and you could do any variety of meats as well.

150 Ben E March 9, 2013 at 9:55 am

I really enjoyed this article. I grew up on a small farm and when we would come in for lunch after hauling hay or cutting firewood all morning my dad would fry up a bologna sandwich. He always made his with fried onions. At the time I foolishly chose to not like onions so I thought it was nasty. I have since come to the light and my memories of my dad in the kitchen are filled with that wonderful aroma. Nice one dad.

A treat that we always enjoyed growing up was after Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner – about halftime of your favorite game – 2 or 3 or 10 little leftover yeast roll sandwiches.

Yeast roll
Lots of mayo
Chicken or ham or both
Dill pickle slices
A little black pepper
A little Lawrys seasoning salt

If it was a roast beef meal I add a little Sweet Baby Rays Original sauce.

Boom – halftime heaven

151 Adam Vedomske March 9, 2013 at 9:56 am

The Hegridge Special

Materials:
Fried egg (if you like it runny or hard either works)
3 pieces of bread
Ham
Cheese
Salt and pepper
Mayo (optional)
Butter

Take a frying pan and cook your egg to the consistency that you enjoy (salt and pepper to taste).  When your egg is just about done put butter on two pieces of your bread slap one piece butter down on frying pan with cheese and ham (or any meat sometimes we would have Virginian Salty Ham which made it extra good if you’re into that.) and you put the non-buttered slice of bread on to trap the heat in and make a sort of grilled cheese and ham sandwich. Then once your egg is done put the egg on the non-buttered piece and top it off with the other buttered piece. Once the one side is golden brown flip sandwich and press down with spatula until new side is brown and remove from pan and enjoy!

152 A. Vedomske March 9, 2013 at 10:03 am

The Hegridge Special

Materials:
Fried egg (if you like it runny or hard either works)
3 pieces of bread
Ham
Cheese
Salt and pepper
Mayo (optional)
Butter

153 Mel K. March 9, 2013 at 10:04 am

My new favorite sandwich [after reading an article in the NYTimes and doing my fair share of experimenting] is hands down the PBP: Peanut Butter & Pickle Sandwich.

I prefer mine on any kind of bread – usually something in a whole grain variety – with a thick smear of peanut butter on one side and as many kosher dill pickle slices will fit on the other slice of bread. “Hamburger pickles” will do in a pinch.

Never, never bread and butter pickles. I’ve made the mistake before and I won’t go back there.

154 Brian V March 9, 2013 at 10:07 am

I didn’t read through all of the other recipes, so forgive me if this one is already up there.

THE ELVIS:

You’ll need: 1 ripe banana, a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter, 2 slices of thick-cut bacon, 2 slices of your favorite bread, 2 cast iron pans (1 slightly smaller than the other), and about 2 teaspoons of sweet-cream butter.

1. Cook the bacon in the largest of the two cast iron pans over low heat. When the bacon has reached the desired crispiness, remove from the pan and rest on paper towels. Reserve about 1 teaspoon of the rendered bacon fat and discard (or refrigerate/freeze) the rest.

2. Turn the heat up on the pan in which you cooked your bacon to Medium. Also, put the second pan on a second burner set to Medium and allow to pre-heat. While that’s happening, add the 2 teaspoons of butter and 1 teaspoon of bacon fat to the larger pan (this should be 1 Tablespoon of total fat).

3. Mash up the banana into a paste and slather onto bread. Add bacon (you can crumble the bacon into the banana paste if you prefer) and then put desired amount of peanut butter on second piece of bread. Now, put them together as a sandwich.

4. Dip first side of sandwich into fat and then flip over so that both sides of the sandwich are coated. Then, remove second pan from the heat and place on top of the sandwich, pressing it. If top pan is wobbly, put a small amount of weight (a can of soup or foil-wrapped brick would work) inside the pan to add compression.

5. Allow to cook 30-seconds to 2 minutes, depending on your tastes. It should go without saying, but longer cook time = gooier inside/crunchier outside.

6. Remove sandwich from heat, cut diagonally, and revel in your indulgence.

NOTE: if you don’t want to use a second cast iron pan (or don’t have one) simply flip the sandwich halfway through the cooking time and use your spatula to press down on it. Pressing down on the sandwich allows greater contact of the bread to the pan, which allows more browning, which means more flavor. BROWN FOOD TASTES GOOD. Don’t skip the compression!

155 Bryan C March 9, 2013 at 10:15 am

“Fancy” grilled cheese:
On the outside: substantial bread (I prefer sourdough or whole wheat), thoroughly buttered on the outside faces.
On the inside: good cheese (I prefer medium or sharp Tillamook cheddar), onions sauteed in butter until translucent; if you’re a fungus fan and have them handy, saute and include mushrooms with the onions.
Fry until the butter is melted and the bread looks amazing.

As an aside, also worth trying are avocado on a BLT and bell peppers on a tuna sandwich.

156 Brady Bellew March 9, 2013 at 10:17 am

Take any type of bread you want, toast it. Spread on some butter or margarine. Atop that spread some cream cheese. Drizzle some olive oil on the cream cheese. Add turkey and Swiss cheese. Finish of your masterpiece with the other slice of bread.

Another great sandwich that is (sadly) meatless starts the same way, but instead of olive oil and turkey, put a bit of strawberry preserves on the sandwich.

157 Josh G. March 9, 2013 at 10:19 am

Sandwiches? Lets get to it.
• hogie roll
• roast beef (I prefer Boars Head) -don’t be scared- heap it on
• provolone cheese- cover the sandwich, tip to tip
• thinly sliced onion (red or white)- not too much if your gonna be talkin to the ladies
• shredded lettuce – heap that on too, it’s okay if it gets everywhere.
• oil and vinegar – skip the mayo this time, you might be surprised.

If you have the time you can make toasted garlic bread out of the hogie roll first and melt the cheese.

Goes Great with an ice cold Sierra Nevada IPA.

My Old Man would swing by the farm that I worked at when I was teenager with a couple of these sandwiches for lunch. Good times.

158 David B. March 9, 2013 at 10:21 am

First things first, I’ve found that French Fries are no substitute for real chips. I believe that those in the US would refer to what us Aussies, English and New Zealanders call chips, as Steak Fries. For my first sandwich, French fries won’t do, they’ve gotta be chips.

I always prefer whole meal or whole grain bread, but a nice country style soft white adorned with sesame seeds is the perfect base for this sandwich, it’s simple, tasty and perfect on a cool day.

Dry bread as described (there’s no need for butter or margarine), 4 slices of Hot Spanish Salami, 2 slices of Jarlsberg cheese or any good Swiss cheese, a handful of hot chips with chicken salt and a quick dash of Tobasco. For extra goodness, toast it on a hot plate with butter, don’t use margarine, it ruins the flavour. Triple Smoked Ham is a good substitute for the salami.

Another favourite of mine, and probably the better choice, is what I make for lunch on a Sunday when entertaining, it’s always a hit.

Soft white roll with either poppy or sesame seeds, shallow fried crumbed chicken breast, crispy bacon, basil pesto, grilled eggplant, vintage cheddar, a generous smear of whole egg mayonnaise, a sprinkling of cracked black pepper and a dash of Tobasco. Everything is better with a dash of Tobasco. Enjoy that one with a cold beer and the world is a good place.

Last but not least, my all time favourite stomach filler after a drinking session. It may turn your stomach now at the thought of it, but trust me, it’s a winner. It’s also drunkard friendly as you’re using the microwave, not the stove/oven.

Standard white bread, microwave yourself enough fish fingers/fish sticks to cover the bread and smear on a generous helping of mayonnaise with some cracked black pepper. Goes down well, and if you’ve had too much to drink, comes back up nice and easy.

159 Aaron March 9, 2013 at 10:27 am

I’ve found that this sandwich makes good use of fish fry leftovers, although you can use left over chicken strips as well. When I use chicken strips, I substitute either buffalo sauce or BBQ sauce for the Louisiana hot. I prefer to eat this sandwich cold.

Ingredients:
Two pieces bread (I usually use white)
Fried fish pieces
Coleslaw made with mayo
Louisiana hot sauce

Create a layer of fried fish pieces on one slice of bread. Cover fish pieces with coleslaw. Add your desired amount of hot sauce. Top sandwich with other slice of bread. Enjoy.

160 Edward Oak March 9, 2013 at 10:31 am

Gourmet Breakfast Sandwich:
Homemade kalamata olive sourdough bread, mayo, bacon, wilted spinach, over medium eggs with feta crumbled over. Garnish with gourmet sea salt and cracked pepper.

161 Brent K March 9, 2013 at 10:33 am

One of my favorite sandwiches I’ll have twice a year, once with thanksgiving leftovers, and once with Christmas leftovers.
The idea is to use a dinner roll (biscuit corn bread whatever you had with your holiday meal) and cram as much stuff in there as possible.
For example split the dinner roll add some turkey, some ham (if you are fortunate enough that your family made both.) some stuffing, little bit of mashed potatoes, hit it with a slice of american or Cheddar, and smother the whole business with gravy… You will probably need a fork.
Yeah epic.

162 Nathan March 9, 2013 at 10:35 am

I have two to submit.

1. Sourdough bread (2 slices), mayo, mustard, lettuce, onion, peppercinis, dill pickles, pepper jack cheese (tillamook), turkey (deli, smoked, etc), pastrami. This is an awesome sandwich and QFC (not KFC) does a great job putting it together.

2. The other is a simpler sandwich but still great. Baguette, ham (I like black forest but any works), Camembert, dijon. If you want to add anything after that it’s up to you but I find this to be simple, delicious, and it travels well.

Side note, if you have one of those packs of baby greens salads you can throw a handful of that on your sandwich and not mess with lettuce leaves. I think it taste better (especially if it has herbs in the salad) and it’s probably better for you.

163 steven johnson March 9, 2013 at 10:37 am

Lunch meat sandwich with mayo, and pineapple rings. It was one of my favorites growing up.

164 Porter Long March 9, 2013 at 10:38 am

Turkey Ranch Classic

2 slices of country white bread (Pepperidge Farms in the best)
a slab of turkey meat (Smoked, Mesquite, as long as it isn’t baked)
Cheese (I like gruyere, but any sort of cheddar or provolone does nicely)
Ranch

Put it in the microwave (Without the top slice) for a minute or so, until the cheese is melted. Then, put on the top slice and move it around so the cheese and ranch get mixed and spread across the sandwhich. Eat hot and enjoy!

165 Aaron March 9, 2013 at 10:40 am

This is one of my favorites for deer sausage that has been made into links, or any style of beef/pork link sausage that I get from a meat market. I prefer a spicy version for this particular sandwich.

Ingredients:
Two slices of white bread (toasted)
Sausage, cut into small rings
American cheese
Regular yellow mustard

Cut a piece of the sausage into rings and warm it up it in the microwave if its leftover. Toast two pieces of bread. Take one slice of the toasted bread and cover it in as much mustard as possible. Add the cheese. Lay out the pieces of sausage to ensure full coverage. Cover the other piece of bread with as much mustard as possible. Close the sandwich and dig in.

166 Dan March 9, 2013 at 10:46 am

Turkey Apple Sandwich

Sliced turkey
cored & thinly sliced granny smith apple
mayo
curry
bread

Spread the mayo on both slices of bread and dust the mayo with curry. Add turkey and apple slices.
Simple, Easy, Awesome.
This sounds a little non manly but the taste is amazing.

167 David March 9, 2013 at 10:46 am

Can’t take credit for this one, my 12 year old came up with it and loves it. Wheat toast, fresh bacon, shredded mozzarella cheese and pickles. Sounds weird, but works. The cheese is soft and melts into the bacon. Toast makes it crunchy. He has several variations too, adding deli roast beef or provolone cheese. I think it needs mustard to finish it off, but he won’t hear of it.

168 Todd March 9, 2013 at 10:57 am

A new post-workout personal favorite of mine, the Chicken Sausage Supreme!

You will need:
French Baguette
Chicken Sausage Link (I like the Johnsonville Italian)
1 Onion
1 Bell Pepper (any color, I like red)
Jarred Jalepenos or Banana Peppers (optional)
One Egg
Provolone Cheese
Olive Oil
Spicy Mustard
Hot Sauce
salt and pepper
and your favorite cast-iron skillet

Real easy, one skillet recipe. Slice up onion and green pepper so that they’re in about one and a half inch long strips. I usually use half of an onion and a full bell pepper.
Grab your trusty cast-iron skillet and put a little olive oil in it. Once it heats up, throw in your chopped onions and bell pepper, chicken sausage link, jalapenos and banana peppers (optional). Cook until onions are nicely carmelized and bell peppers and chicken sausage have blackened sufficiently. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Now turn the heat down some, push the veggies and chicken sausage to one side of the pan. Now crack your egg and fry it up on the vacant side. You can scramble it if you want, but I prefer it intact. You’ll want to cook it to about medium so a little yolk seeps out when you bite into it.
Slice your french baguette to proper length and then down the side as the good folks at Subway do. Throw in some Provolone cheese. Once your egg is cooked, throw your chicken sausage into the baguette, followed by the onion/pepper blend, then the fried egg. Top that bad boy with spicy mustard and hot sauce and you’re good to go!
Note: I haven’t done it yet, but I’m sure adding a strip or two of bacon will rock this sandwich.
Enjoy!

169 JMail March 9, 2013 at 10:57 am

This is a sandwich that dates far back to french class, we were learning about the names of food and tried to create the most ridiculous yet edible concoction:

2 slices of bread
Mustard
Rice Crispies

I know, I know. I did remake it as a joke (and perhaps laziness and perhaps lack of other food in the house) in college, and it really is surprisingly good.

170 dwennon March 9, 2013 at 10:59 am

Although I haven’t had it in a while this has usually gottern some good reviews from some of my friends.
2 pieces of bread(or a roll, it doesn’t matter too much unless you have a preference)
1scoop of shredded barbeque
4 slices of either beef or chicken()
3 slices of cheddar cheese, all of which is spread between the breed and two meat layers

Bassically put a slice of cheese on each piece of bread(or side of a roll if it’s what’s at hand). Place the meat on one piece of bread with cheese. Then add the third piece of cheese between the two halves when putting it together
optional:add some chips on the beef side, add french fries at all(the barbeque side might be better for the addition), add some barbeque sauce for more flavor, serve hot or cold(this is all dependent on whatever your tastes are), and/or a small hashbrown serving.

This makes for a nice type of leftover sandwhich.

171 T March 9, 2013 at 11:01 am

For the most well-rounded, balanced-meal-in-two-hands-sandwich, I personally enjoy this:
-BREAD: 2 slices of hearty, whole-grain bread with seeds (Whole Foods 365 Early Bird Multi-Seed is my favorite for this – it has 5 or 6g of protein per slice, nearly that of an egg!)
-PROTEIN: 1 whole can of low-sodium tuna, drained and mashed onto bottom slice, with some black pepper on top. Alternatively, 1/3lb or so of honey ham or smoked turkey works well.
-VEG: 1 small, ripe tomato on the vine (heirloom works well, too!) sliced thick and in half, to get the best coverage
-VEG: 1/2 ripe avocado, mashed into the underside of the top slice, this way it sticks to the bread and keeps your sandwich all together. The avocado really provides the fat/flavor/lube in the same way mayo might, but with more nutrients and way more flavor!

I pack all the ingredients in my lunch separately, then make it up when I’m ready to eat it… This often brings the jealously of co-workers toting McD’s bags and brown-lettuced subway sandwiches.

Enjoy!

172 Jake March 9, 2013 at 11:02 am

I found this little gem 15 years ago at Hideaway’s Pizza in Stillwater, OK, and it has been one of my favorites (homemade or otherwise) ever since.

The Dagwood

Warm slices of ham, roast beef, and smoked turkey with melted cheddar and mozzarella cheeses, topped with shredded lettuce (shredded important), slices of Roma tomatoes, and creamy Italian dressing, with a cold crunchy pickle on the side.

After trying the original a few times, zing it up by adding more: jalapenos, a fried egg, or anything else – it’s a Dagwood.

173 Andrew March 9, 2013 at 11:04 am

Here’s a magnificent and quite enjoyable sandwich that’s simple enough to make.

First you need sourdough bread, the good kind. Then you just spread a nice thick layer of guacamole on each slice of bread, make it thick enough to really add flavor to the sandwich. Next you add a slice of provolone cheese. Then layer a decent amount of roast beef onto the bread and finally, add two slices of beefsteak tomatoes. Close and slice the sandwich in half. Enjoy!

174 Ron March 9, 2013 at 11:11 am

I’ve never been a huge fan of bologna, but I too am a “chipper”. Nobody introduced me to it, but I have always put chips on my sandwich: potato chips, corn curls, doritos, any chip. I won’t even touch tuna salad unless it has cheetos or cheese puffs on it.

I also agree with Sneaky Pete, you can grill any sandwich. Personally I prefer the grilled cheese method. Make your sandwich with two lightly buttered breads to the outside and grill them up on a cast iron skillet, being careful flipping them. Like that “messy sandwich” or even just a plain ole’ peanut butter can be made better with a simple “grilling”. You can grill anything!

As for my tuna salad, I go with chunk albacore, dice up some jalapenos, dill pickles, onion and throw it in. Stir some cayenne, black pepper, garlic powder into some mayo and spicy brown mustard. (You can substitute real garlic for garlic powder, or your own spice combination as I sometimes throw in cumin and and all kinds of stuff.) Combine all. Use the amounts to your personal palate, but keep it spicy and saucy. Also works great with chicken. This isn’t a grandma’s chicken or tuna salad with grapes and nuts. Put it on some simple toasted bread, top with cheese puffs, and chow down.

175 Leon March 9, 2013 at 11:14 am

Well, as a Mexican guy, when I moved to Europe do my studies after high school and I noticed that sandwiches there didn’t had avocados but cucumber instead, couldn’t stand it. There’s no good sandwich without avocado, at least from a Mexican point of view. The quintessential Mexican sandwich is called “torta”, and the ingredients that always usually contains (and many you will just be able to get in a Mexican store) are:

Telera or bolillo bread (you can substitute for a nice piece of baguette);
Aguacate (Mexican avocados, do not attempt to use any other!), sliced;
Crema fresca (fresh cream), do not use sour cream;
Mayonesa (mayonnaise);
Mostaza (mustard), regular Hellmann’s is fine, d not use any grain or Dijon, has to be mild);
Frijoles refritos (refried beans), can be from can but I prefer t cook everything from scratch (recipe below);
Jalapeno peppers in vinegar or smoked chipotle peppers in adobo (canned);
Onion, sliced;
Tomato, sliced;
1 leaf of lettuce;

Cut the bread in half, spread mayo, mustard, crema fresca, then, a good amount of refried beans, avocado (mash it a bit over the bread) then the jalapenos or chipotles, the veggies. All this was the basics for any torta. the different fillings:

Torta de milanesa con queso (beef or chicken cutlet with cheese) – add t the above a breaded and fried beef or chicken cutlet and cheese (obviously, high fat Oaxaca or Chihuahua cheese), then, put the tp bread and heat t up n the grill until the cheese is melted.

Torta de 3 quesos – Pick 3 cheeses and put them between the breads, and grill t untl cheeses melt.

Torta de pollo – use some chicken left overs.

Torta de salami con queso – use Kosher salami, thick cut, and fry the salami before, then put it in the bread with Oaxaca or Chihuahua cheese.

Torta de jamon con queso – Ham and cheese.

- Torta de chorizo con huevo – make huevos revueltos with small pieces of chorizo (spicy pork sausage) and add it t the bread, you can also put cheese.

The recipe for the frijoles refritos – take a cup of pinto or black beans, wash them, leave them overnight in water, in the morning, wash the water and rinse them, put them in a pot covered with water and some salt, garlic cloves, and onion cut in half, basil and heat them in medium until they are soft; Then, put corn oil in a pan, put some finely chopped onion and garlic (remove the basil leaves before) and mash them until they are a puree).

176 Peter March 9, 2013 at 11:18 am

Sourdough bread
Brie Cheese
Turkey
spinach
Craisins

Instructions:
-slightly toast two slices of sourdough in an oven
-flip and add the cheese and turkey to the slices.
-once the cheese is melted remove and top with craisins and spinach

177 Charles March 9, 2013 at 11:25 am

Now this sandwich is a beauty I came up with about 6 months back. It’s a little ridiculous but stick with me. You’re going to need:
-One meatball (or really any style) hot pocket
- Roasted beef
-Salami
-Thin sliced cheese (any will do)
-Goldfish
To start, just cook the hot pocket the way the instructions tell you to. Let it cool off for a minute then take a knife and slice it through the middle just so three sides are open. Open it and lie both sides down on the counter with the gooey meat side up and with both sides attached. Lay down a nice layer of the cheese. Then, put down a layer of roasted beef with goldfish lightly sprinkled on it. Follow that with a layer of salami with more goldfish on it. Take the top half of the hot pocket and smoosh it down on all of this hard enough that the goldfish turn into little goldfish pieces. Then repeat with more salami and roast beef until it’s as thick as you see fit. Then press down until it’s about mouth sized.

178 Jon March 9, 2013 at 11:26 am

Breakfast Bologna Sandwich-
-Take a muffin pan and grease or spray.
-Lay your bologna on top of one or more muffin holes and push it down so the outer edges are sticking out creating a small bowl.
-crack an egg and put into bologna bowl
-stick into oven and bake till egg is to your liking
-while baking bologna and egg, toast two slices of bread. Butter (or not) your toast to your liking.
serve hot baked bologna with egg between toast and enjoy

179 PA Sunter March 9, 2013 at 11:38 am

The king of all sandwiches: meatloaf.

Thick slice of leftover meatloaf on toasted bread. American cheese with horseradish mayo and mustard.

I prefer to use a homemade wheat bread that I make at home.

180 Brannigan Cheney March 9, 2013 at 11:49 am

Here’s a quick simple twist on a classic. Peanut Butter and Jelly with a slice of cheese. I prefer sharp cheese, but anything will do. My wife thinks it looks gross, but I love it.

181 Rob March 9, 2013 at 11:53 am

Ingredients:
- 2 slices of bologna
- 1 egg
-1 slice of cheese
- toast 2 slices of bread
- brown mustard.

Prep:
Cut the center out of the 2 bologna slices. (make them look like bologna doughnuts). Chop up the left over bologna doughnut holes from the centers and mix into 1 scrambled egg.

Cooking:
Put one of the now doughnut looking bologna slices on your pre-heated griddle. Once it starts to cook pour the scrambled egg/chopped up bologna hole mixture into the center hole of the cooking bologna. Place 2 pieces of bread in the toaster to start them toasting. Place the second bologna doughnut on top of this cooking mess. Flip the mess over to cook the top and place the cheese slice on top to start melting it into the mess. Toast should be done by now, so pop it out and spread brown mustard on it. Slide the entire cooked bologna/egg/bologna/cheese stack onto the brown mustard covered toasted bread.

182 John B March 9, 2013 at 11:58 am

Peanut butter and bologna

-Trust me, it’s delicious.

2 slices of bologna with creamy peanut butter spread between them. Don’t apply PB to the bread, spread it on the bologna. A little yellow mustard adds the perfect amount of spiciness.

183 John Ikel March 9, 2013 at 11:58 am

Brie and Smoked Salmon on lightly buttered white bread. Delicious.

184 Jamiel March 9, 2013 at 12:06 pm

My favorite sandwich is the standard PB&J, but at times when I’m feeling a little healthy I’ll make a PB and Banana sandwich. I’ll slice up the banana, spread the peanut butter, slap’em together and enjoy.

185 Kyle J March 9, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Long time reader, longer-time sandwich lover. I have two I am particularly proud of:

The Marginally Healthier Breakfast Sandwich:

I’ve been making these like crazy for the past couple of months, playing around with different greens and breads. Despite their name, my favorite time to make one is right after work since they come together really quickly and easily.

-1 English muffin
-2-3 slices bacon, capicola, or any fatty cut of pork
-1 bunch (about 2-3 cups uncooked) collard greens, kale, or spinach.
-1 large egg

1. Toast the English muffin. If it finishes before you’re done with the rest of the recipe (likely), put it in your oven on the “warm” setting or lowest it will go.
2. Fry the bacon to desired chewy/crispiness in a large skillet over medium heat and remove to drain.
3. Wash and drain your greens and braise them in the bacon fat. I find they cook faster and more evenly if the greens are still just slightly wet. A little chicken stock also works.
4. Remove the greens, add a little olive oil if necessary, and fry the egg to desired setness.
5. Put the bacon, a 1/4-1/2 cup of greens, and the egg on the English muffin and serve the rest on the side.

Italian Grilled Cheese:

A fusion between an Italian caprese and an American grilled cheese. A great summer lunch. Can get really messy though!

- 2 slices white or wheat bread
- 1/2 plum tomato, sliced
- mozzarella, as much as you and your arteries can handle
- Olive oil, around 1tbs.
-Balsamic vinegar, around 1 tsp.
-1/4 tsp salt

1. Mix together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt. Despite the amounts stated above, I usually just wing this.
2. Chop the tomato and marinate the slices in your olive oil for 10-20 minutes.
3. Coat your skillet in butter or olive oil and heat over medium heat. At this point, you can either coat both sides of the bread in butter and throw them butter side down in the skillet or just use more cooking oil and do the same.
4. While the slices fry, grate the mozzarella on both slices of bread, and put the marinated tomatoes on top.
5. Flip one slice on top of the other and continue cooking, flipping occasionally, until mozzarella is melted.

186 Jim Collins March 9, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Esteemed Eaters,

When I was young I ranked food second among the pleasures of the flesh, but now in late middle age it holds firm in first place when other things are less firm. High in the hierarchy of foods, we find the sandwich. What defines a sandwich? Why is it a bologna sandwich or an open face hot turkey sandwich rather than a cold cut plate or turkey and gravy? The difference is bread. Bread is the staff of life, a fundament of civilization, a sacrament, the stuff of metaphor and legend and poetry: “A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and Thou” – would you break bread with me? – be a companion – and even this impassioned rant is less than half a loaf of the significance of bread.

Three years ago the cruel fate of our mutual careers landed my wife and I in the mid-west. There is no greater irony and few greater agonies than the fact that in this land deemed to be the bread basket of America bread is appreciated by few and purveyed by fewer. Ranging from Bloomington Indiana in a desperate quest we have found stuff worth of being called bread no closer than Chicago and Cincinnati — other than in our kitchen.

In a spirit of charity towards and conciliation with the underprivileged of the fly-over states I marry true bread with a local wonder and recommend to you the Pulled Pork Sandwich on Focaccia.

Pulled pork, “Q,” is as much a cult as it is a food or method. If you doubt it visit a BBQ revival (AKA cook off). There you will meet devotees defending their mysteries with all the seriousness of an Eleusinian. I was inducted by my wife who is Dixie bred and on the peril of my soul I won’t tell you about how we make Q; somewhere near you is a BBQ joint that will sell you pulled pork. If you are lucky, it’s good. Do NOT let them talk you into the convention of putting it the on a marshmallow soft hamburger bun. You deserve better than that. Take that wonderful stuff to the privacy of your home and pull the drapes.

Focaccia:
Ingredients:
~400 gm high gluten bread flour
corn meal for spreading dough
5 ml salt
15 ml sugar
5 ml dry active yeast
180 ml water
20 ml extra virgin olive oil

Oil the hook on a stand mixer and combine the water, salt, oil, sugar, yeast and about half the flour. Mix until smooth, then slowly add additional flour until the dough is every bit as stiff as you can get it. It might not be the whole 400 gm and it might be more. Conditions and flour vary. Knead for an additional 10 minutes.

OK he-man, think you’re tough? Knead this by hand instead. The French stereotype of the village baker is no accident. He was a manly man with arms like oak trees.

Oil the surface of the dough and put it in a sealed container in your refrigerator for a day to a week. Preheat your oven to 250 C and spread the dough to about 1 cm thick on corn meal. Let it rise about half an hour then take one finger (pick one!) and make dimples on the top surface of the bread about 4 cm apart. Sprinkle a little coarse salt on top and pop it into the oven for 8 to 10 minutes. You’ll want to keep an eye on it so that it doesn’t go past mahogany brown. Pull it from the oven and let it cool on a rack.

When the focaccia is cool split it horizontally with a bread knife. Now it’s ready to build a sandwich. This is versatile stuff, so I’m only describing the last Q sandwich I built: Lightly butter the inside of both the top and bottom, pile on the Q, add a few slices of a strong dill pickle or banana peppers, cover with a thin slice of Jarlsburg and put both halves under your oven broiler until the cheese melts. Pull it out and enjoy with BBQ dipping sauce–I favor vinegar based Carolina style. Share it with someone you love. The locals got another thing right – a side of coleslaw.

Sincerely,

Jim Collins

187 Adam March 9, 2013 at 12:14 pm

This one isn’t so much a sandwich in and of itself, but rather an improvement on existing recipes:
When making any grilled cheese/panini-style sandwich, substitute your usual choice of fat with mayonnaise. Spread the mayo on the outside of the sandwich the same way you would butter bread for a grilled cheese/tuna melt/etc. and crack a little fresh black pepper over the top. The oil in the mayo keeps the sandwich from sticking to the pan, the egg in it makes a nice browning effect, and the vinegar gives the sandwich just that little “zing” to liven up the cheese.

188 Ben Sargent March 9, 2013 at 12:15 pm

If you want an interesting sammich try this.

The PBCMP

Ingredients = Two Slices of Favorite Bread, Peanut Butter, Thick Slice of Cheddar Cheese, Mayonnaise, Pickles.

1. Spread Peanut Butter on one slice of bread.

2. Spread Mayonnaise on other slice of bread.

3. Put slice of cheddar and pickles on the bread.

4. Put bread together.

5. Grill on on George Foreman or other sammich griller.

6. Enjoy.

189 Chris Dang March 9, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Grilled Cheese with Jelly!

190 Adam March 9, 2013 at 12:25 pm

My personal favorite is the Rickards Steak Sammich. It involves quite a bit of prep but is really worth it.

marinate steak in Rickards red (or any amber ale) for a couple of hours along with some soy sauce and Balsamic Vinegar, Grill for 8 mins on high to achieve that perfect medium rare (http://www.theperfectsteak.com/grillingGuide.html). Then cut very thin slices.

Sautee chopped onions in Rickards Dark (or any dark ale) until onions are reduced and very sloppy.

Sautee julienned Red peppers in Rickards White (or any citrus ale) until peppers are flimsy and saturated with beer!

Next comes the chipotle mayo – buy a can of chipotles and chop a bunch up real fine, mix in a bowl with mayonnaise, cilantro paste and some lime juice, play around with the proportions until it tastes good.

buy a fresh baguette and cut into halves, lather generously with the mayo, put steak slices, peppers and onions on and cap it off. Then drink the rest of the beer that was leftover.

Enjoy!

191 Bradley March 9, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Having just recently moved to NYC, I am sad to have given up Publix Subs. Anyone from Florida knows what I mean. Publix should be classified as a deli with a grocery store, not the other way around. But NYC is rife with delis. Galore. Like really, how is there a market for so much sandwich making goodness? So it wasn’t hard for me to find my Publix sub-stitute. I like my sandwiches cold and simple. No oil and vinegar. No salt and pepper. No exotic ingredients. Just good ol’ fashioned American goodness:

Roast Beef and Salami
Cheese of your choice (I often opt for provolone or muenster. Sometimes Cheddar)
Lettuce
Tomato
Mayo
Yellow Mustard
On a Roll

The only deviations I usually make from this would be to add either pickles or green peppers.

What you end up with is a perfect sandwich that fights back your hunger with plenty of texture and flavor and just the right amount of moisture to not be dripping all over you while you wait for the Subway.

192 Keith Martin March 9, 2013 at 1:04 pm

One of my favorite sandwiches is the PBJS…Peanut butter (I prefer crunchy), Jelly (any type) and Sriracha. The savory heat of the Sriracha gives a nice contrast to the cool jelly and the peanut butter.

193 Mark Turrieta March 9, 2013 at 1:05 pm

For breakfast:

*Green chili cheese bagel, sliced and toasted.
*1 slice pepper jack cheese on the bottom bagel slice
*Scrambled eggs
*1 slice fried bologna
*1 slice American cheese
*Top bagel slice

For lunch, on sandwich bread:

*1 layer peanut butter
*1 layer grape jelly
*1 layer diced hard salami

194 Chad Dees March 9, 2013 at 1:09 pm

My kids love these:
Start with pretzel buns, slice into a top and bottom, fry some bacon til almost crisp, slice mild cheddar, spread mayo on pretzel bun halves, lay cheese on both, place bacon in middle and assemble, microwave for 30 seconds. I call them bacon cheddar sliders.

195 Oren March 9, 2013 at 1:09 pm

A personal favorite of mine is the post-thanksgiving sandwich. After thanksgiving, my fridge is always filled with leftovers, so one day I decided to try to make a sandwich out of them. This recipe works well with leftovers, but if you want to make it with fresh ingredients it’s just as delicious.
Here’s the basic idea:

Ingredients:
Rolls (Small challah rolls work well)
Sliced turkey (nice ‘n thick)
Mashed Potatoes
Green Beans
Cranberry sauce
Gravy

First, slice the rolls in half and toast ‘em to taste. Put some olive oil in a saucepan and throw the turkey slices on there. The turkey should be nice and thick, just like when you carve it at thanksgiving. Next, take a ball of mashed potatoes and flatten in on the pan, so you end up with a patty the same size as your rolls. Flip the turkey and mashed potatoes so they get a light golden brown color on both sides. Pull the rolls out of the oven and throw the turkey on them. Put the mashed potato patty over the turkey. Next, take your green beans and throw them on the mashed potatoes (push them in and they’ll stick). Pour some warm gravy over the top of the sandwich. Throw a spoonful of cranberry sauce on the top bun and then put it on top.

These sandwiches tend to get fairly tall, and I enjoy two or three of them with some potato chips on the side. A tall glass of milk and you’re all set. Bon Appetit!

196 Scott March 9, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Fried Hot Dog Toasted PB&J

This is my all-time favorite sandwich from my childhood. It makes for a great breakfast, too. Whenever I describe this one to anyone, they almost all start gagging. BUT…those who have been courageous enough to try one have been richly rewarded!

Ingredients:
–2 hot dogs
–2 slices of your favorite sandwich bread
–peanut butter (crunchy is my preference)
–jelly/jam
–butter

Slice the two hot dogs lengthwise and fry all four slices in a skillet on medium heat. Be sure to flip them a few times to get both sides browned. You may want to apply pressure to the slices to keep them from curling up too much as they fry.

While the hot dogs are frying, toast your bread. Once it is toasted, butter each piece lightly. Slather one piece the your favorite peanut butter and put your jelly/jam on the other.

Once the hot dogs slices are sufficiently browned, align them on one of the slices of toast. You should have room to lay all four slices side-by-side, flat side down. Top with the other piece of toast and enjoy!

The residual heat from the hot dogs will warm up the peanut butter just a bit giving it an even smoother, creamier consistency. Be sure to eat this one over your plate, because it might get a little drippy once the juices from the hot dog combine with the slightly melty peanut butter and jelly. The saltiness of the hot dogs plays great with the sweetness of the jelly, and the crunch of the toast just tops everything off nicely.

Enjoy!

197 Miguel March 9, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I don’t come to bring sandwiches, but rather a most interesting topic I would like seeing researched and provided to us!
Here goes: How to make quick, full of protein sandwiches, quick sandwiches to provide energy (for long walks, hiking and so on), and maybe even quick “calorie free” sandwiches.
All would be tasty of course!
I think this would deserve it’s own post

198 Andy Jenkins March 9, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I have two. I have no clue if they have already been done seing as how there are 191 suggestions already and I’ve only read about 25 of them. But here goes:

1. Grilled chese for adults:

French Bread sliced for sadwiches (like boule, althougha baguette works for appetizer sized sandwiches)

Ham (the more into the specialty section you go the better. There are a number of natural French hams that are spectacular)

Brie (just regular, not triple cream)

Butter your bread, stick the ham in the middle of two hunks of Brie, cook on griddle like grilled cheese. This works well if you’ve had company, had a cheese tray, and cooked a ham. Great way to get rid of leftovers.

2. Cheesesteak:

A loaf about the size of a baguette but not quite so crunchy a crust. A baguette will work.

Shaved ribeye (Go to the meat counter and ask the people behind it to put a ribeye on the deli slicer. They probably will.) If you cant get shaved ribeye get a ribeye slice it thin yourself and poud it flat with a meat mallet.

Large sweet onion sliced thin.

Cheese Wiz (The two most famous cheeseseteak places in Philly – Pat’s and Geno’s – both use Wiz. It works, trust me.)

On a flat top griddle (or very large skillet) cook your sliced ribeye, seasoned with salt and pepper. It should render enough fat to cook the onions as well.

Warm the bread in a very low oven. Slice open lengthwise and into individual sized portions.

Smear on the Wiz like a thick coat of butter. Add meat an onions.

You’ll have a Wiz Wit.

199 Shawn March 9, 2013 at 1:55 pm

My “Go To” sandwich consists of these ingredients:
-Two slices of bread
-Black Forest Ham (at least 1/8″ thick)
-Provolone Cheese
-Ranch Dressing
-Cool Ranch Flavored Chips
I start with the chips on the bottom slice of bread and finish with the ranch dressing on the top slice of bread. This order prevents the top of my mouth from getting sliced open on a rouge chip.

200 The Dutch Dastard March 9, 2013 at 1:55 pm

My ultimate hangover sandwich: The heart attack sandwich:

Get a nice ciabatta, fry up some ground beef, add some nice gravy and…..a little bit of syrup….

Put some melting cheese on that sucker and pop it in the oven until the cheese melts.
Eat, die.

Comments on this entry are closed.