12 Best Movies About Fatherhood

by Brett & Kate McKay on June 17, 2011 · 274 comments

in Fatherhood, Relationships & Family

This post is brought to you by Char-Broil. Visit Charbroil.com to find more about their Infrared line of Char-Broil Grills.

A man’s relationship with his father is one of the most important relationships in his life. Dad is supposed to teach us the manly arts, to always be there as lifelong mentors who lovingly guide us into manhood. At least that’s what every boy hopes for. Of course in real life the relationship between father and son is rarely so simple. A son yearns for the love and respect of his dad and doesn’t always get it. Or he worships his father, only to find out later he wasn’t such a good guy. Or his dad is indeed the real deal, but he exits his son’s life too soon.

It’s no wonder that a relationship so fraught with hope and yearning, drama and resentment, joy and regret has often translated into cinematic gold. Men don’t typically cry at movies, but when we do, nine times out of ten the scene involves a father and his kids. Father-themed flicks are guaranteed to make us laugh, get misty-eyed, and feel a little introspective about our own dads, and if we have kids ourselves, how we measure up as fathers.

Father’s Day is this Sunday, so we thought it would be appropriate to highlight some of the very best movies about fatherhood that the world of cinema has to offer.

To Kill a Mockingbird

Atticus Finch is the man. Pillar of integrity, fighter of racial injustice, humble sharpshooter, and, of course, world’s greatest dad. As a widower he could have shipped his kids off to a relative, but he was absolutely devoted to them. He was kind, protective, and incredibly patient with his two kids, Jem and Scout. And most importantly, he taught his children by example. I find the relationship between Atticus and his daughter to be particularly endearing. If I ever have a daughter, I hope my relationship with her can be like the one Atticus had with his little girl. No wonder the American Film Institute called Atticus the “greatest movie hero of the 20th century.”

Of course you can’t top the book itself, but the film version measures up pretty well. Gregory Peck was given some very large shoes to fill, and he did so admirably.

Big Fish

Big Fish is a weird movie. Weird in a good way, though. It was directed by Tim Burton, hence the weirdness. Big Fish focuses on the strained relationship between a father and son–Ed and Will Bloom. Ed is a man who loves to tell (possibly fictitious) stories about his past. Ed’s son, Will, thinks his dad is full of it and can’t stand his tall tales. Will feels he cannot trust his father and eventually stops talking to him for several years. But when Will finds out his dad is dying, he returns home to begin a journey that will lead him to learn who is father really is, a process that allows him to come to peace with his dad.

The end of Big Fish is awesome. I won’t spoil it for you. Watch it.

The Godfather

At its core, The Godfather is about one man’s struggle to accept and eventually live up to the legacy his father has left him (even if that legacy isn’t the most noble and honorable one). You can gleam a lot of great insights about fatherhood from watching the entire trilogy. My favorite comes from Don Corleone: “A man who doesn’t spend time with his family can never be a real man.”

Be a man. Spend some time with those kiddos. And don’t forget the cannoli.

Field of Dreams

To what lengths would a man go for a chance at reconciliation? If it’s for your (dead) father, most of us would do anything. As a young man, Ray Kinsella had a strained relationship with his dad and had once refused to play catch with him, a decision he has regretted ever since. Now grown up, with his father passed away, Ray has become an Iowa farmer. A voice tells him, “If you build it, he will come,” and Ray obeys by building a baseball diamond in his cornfield. The voice continues to guide Ray, and after a series of mysterious and supernatural events, he is able to make amends by playing a simple game of catch with his dead father. Man. That catch scene gets me every time.

Father of the Bride

It’s the moment any man with a daughter looks forward to with both happiness and sadness: his little girl’s wedding. You’ve probably seen the 1991 re-make of Father of the Bride with Steve Martin. Sure, it’s funny, but it’s nowhere near as good as the 1950 original starring Spencer Tracy and a young and beautiful Elizabeth Taylor. At least, I don’t think so. There’s nothing profound or deep about this film. It’s just a fun, family comedy about the relationship between a man and his daughter. Spencer Tracy rocks it in this movie. One of his best performances.

Road to Perdition

As we mentioned in the introduction, sometimes the relationship between father and son can be pretty complicated. That complexity is at the root of the dark, Depression-era gangster film, Road to Perdition. Every boy wants to grow up to be like his dad, but what if your dad isn’t such a good guy? Tom Hanks plays mob bodyguard and hitman, Michael Sullivan, who must protect his son from his former boss (with whom he had his own almost father/son relationship) and his boss’ son, who has killed the rest of Sullivan’s family. On a mission of revenge, Sullivan draws his son into a life of crime, but hopes he will take a different path in life. It’s a bloody, complicated, and father/son relationship-packed movie; as Hanks puts it, “If you’re a man, and you’ve got offspring…emotionally, it’s devastating.”

The Pursuit of Happyness

An uplifting film based on the true story of now multi-millionaire Chris Gardner’s one-year struggle with homelessness while raising his son by himself and working to land a full-time job. The Pursuit of Happyness shows the lengths a father will go for his children. What makes this movie even more emotionally captivating is that Chris Gardner and his son, little Chris, are played by real-life father and son, Will and Jaden Smith.

Parenthood

If you’re a fan of the ABC television comedy, Parenthood, then watch the movie that inspired the show. Like the show, Parenthood the movie focuses on different branch-offs of the same family. And like the show, the movie does a good job showcasing the (often humorous) struggles of being a parent in our crazy modern world. While it’s an ensemble film, Steve Martin’s character Gil Buckman takes center stage. Gil’s a father who’s driven to be the best dad he can be because of his dissatisfaction with his own childhood. Gil’s earnestness to be a good dad often crosses the line into neuroticism, but during the course of the film he learns to mellow out.

I really like this film (and the show). Unlike a lot of comedies built on outrageous setups and low-brow gags, Parenthood tries to stay as true to real life as possible. When you watch it, you laugh because you can relate with the characters and their problems.

Boyz ‘N the Hood

Laurence Fishburne plays Furious Styles (what an awesome name), a hard-nosed father trying to raise his rebellious son, Tre, on the mean streets of Los Angeles. Furious gives his son plenty of tough love but also provides him a good example of what it means to be a father, and more importantly, a good man. Boyz ‘N the Hood teaches us that there’s nothing like the influence of a father to mold a boy into a man who does the right thing.

Finding Nemo

A movie about fatherhood that you can watch with your kids. Marlin’s a widower father who loses his wife and 400 of his children (he’s a fish) in a vicious barracuda attack. His only child to survive is Nemo, a headstrong little clown fish who’s frustrated by his father’s neurotic over-protectiveness. Despite Marlin’s best efforts to look out for Nemo, he gets lost and the rest of the movie is dedicated to, well, finding Nemo. Marlin’s love for his son transcends species. Even us human dads can relate to this computer-animated fish.

Note: Esquire recently published a great article about John Lasseter, the head of Pixar, that illuminates why Pixar’s movies tend to focus on the relationship between father and son (Lasseter has five boys himself). Check it out.

Paper Moon

Starring real-life dad and daughter, Ryan and Tatum O’Neil, Paper Moon follows Moses and Addie Pray, a father-daughter duo who grift in Depression-Era Kansas. Moses isn’t really an ideal father-figure. He scams old widows out of money by pretending to be a Bible salesman who recently sold their deceased husband an expensive, personalized Bible. But the daddy-daughter relationship between Moses and Addie is awfully charming. Paper Moon is a fun, comedy-filled movie that you can watch with your own little partner-in-crime.

My Life

When I do these “Best of” posts, I usually don’t put the films or books in any particular order, but in this case I saved the best for last.  My Life is perhaps the best and most underrated movie about fatherhood ever made. Michael Keaton plays Bob Ivanovich, a man who discovers that he has terminal cancer soon after his wife gets pregnant. Knowing he won’t be around to raise his little boy, Bob makes home movies of himself that his son can watch as he grows up. In some of the videos, Bob reads bedtime stories and in others, which will be shown when his son is older, Bob teaches important man skills like how to shave and how to shake hands. As Bob approaches his death, he also begins to reconcile with his own father, with whom he has had a strained relationship.

Be warned, this movie is a tear-jerker. It’s Beaches for men. It’s the first movie I ever saw make my dad cry, and he wasn’t an emotional guy when I was growing up. I honestly get all teary-eyed just thinking about Bob’s little boy watching his dead father read him a bedtime story.

Ever since Gus came into my life, I keep thinking about this movie. What lessons would I impart to my boy from beyond the grave? And then I start thinking about how sad I’d be knowing that I’d miss out on big events in his life: his first day at school, his first shave, his first date, etc. Makes me want to treasure my moments with him even more. Man, I’m getting all misty eyed… Excuse me…

OK, now it’s your turn. You know, the point where you leave a comment saying, “I can’t believe you left out  ____________!” What are your favorite movies about fatherhood? Share them with us in the comments.

201 Ross June 27, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Glad to see someone finally mentioned Contact which is one of my all time favorite movies.

A couple of movies that I haven’t seen mentioned so far but which have good father/son plots:

Cloak and Dagger w/ Henry Thomas and Dabney Coleman – A kid with an imaginary friend who looks like his dad but is a world class super spy.

The Rookie w/ Dennis Quaid and Brian Cox – More of a sub plot but the strained relationship between father and son plays out very well here. You also see Quaid as a father to his son and his attempts to avoid making the same mistakes.

202 MP June 28, 2011 at 2:06 pm

The Road w/Viggo Mortenson — a man simply tries to keep his son alive in a post-apocalpytic world. The book left me sobbing.

203 Warren June 28, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I would include the Wes Anderson films, Life Aquatic, Royal Tenenbaums, Darjeeling Limited. Not about ideal fathers but the ins and outs of the way some fathers go.

204 Samara June 28, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Shenandoah with Jimmy Stewart or Big Jake with John Wayne =)

205 Clark June 29, 2011 at 2:15 am

What about Kramer vs. Kramer? A movie about a man who must learn how to be a father again when he becomes a single parent.

206 Donald K June 29, 2011 at 10:11 am

I can’t believe you left out Secondhand Lions…

207 Tyler June 30, 2011 at 10:33 am

The Patriot. The scene where he chases the guy down and bludgeons him with a hatchet is a rage only a father could understand. I wasn’t a father at the time a saw it, but my dad told me, “Son, one day you will understand. I would do the same for you and your brother.”
Just take your son to the playground that has a bully and you will understand a small amount of what Mel Gibson felt.

208 JTW July 2, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I concur with the Secondhand Lions mention. Also, “A Perfect World” with Kevin Costner was a great movie about fatherhood.

209 Dustin July 3, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I would have to put Click with Adam Sandler on this list. Sure it’s supposed to be a comedy, but there are some real hard hitting scenes in this movie. I watched this very late one night, got all misty eyed, and had to fight back the urge to call an wake my father up at 1:30 AM.

210 Leland July 4, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I have to agree with a lot of people here about Life Is Beautiful. Perfect for this kind of list, but not on it!

The Kite Runner. A movie which isn’t really about fatherhood but which contains the same emotional theme of love and sacrifice. I think any AoM reader would love it.

211 Luke July 6, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Life As A House

Life As A House is about a father(Kevin Klein) dying of Cancer. He takes custody of his son(Hayden Christensen) who is kind of a problem child and has him help build his dream house. It’s a really great movie.

212 Jay July 11, 2011 at 8:57 am

I think that The Bicycle Thieves is the best film about the father/son relationship. Also A Woman Under the Influence – very moving portrayal of parenthood (see Peter Falk’s father character)

On a side note the scene in Five Easy Pieces when Jack Nicholson takes his terminally ill father to the top of the hill incredibly powerful.

213 Oliver July 13, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Nice list! I’ll have to check some of these out.

‘Life is Beautiful’ is fantastic. It’s all in Italian with subtitles (don’t watch the english dubbed version- trust me, it’s bad).
It tells the story of a young father, who turns the Nazi prison camp into a game for his five year old son. It’s a film you cannot miss.

214 Rich July 15, 2011 at 11:57 am

This is a terrific article!

Thanks to everyone for their movie suggestions. There are many that I hadn’t heard of, but will be watching soon. Also, I didn’t know about Courageous, but will be putting it at the top of my must sees for the year. It will make for a great birthday!

215 David July 15, 2011 at 8:04 pm

A Bronx Tale. Robert Deniro as the father of a boy who is getting involved with the local crime boss.

216 sam October 21, 2012 at 5:45 am

i have been trying to find one but i cant seem to find the name anywhere it is about this guy who find this little girl and her mom is dead in the snow and he raises her as his own then when she is around 11 her real dad wants her back and brings the guy that raised her to court. could anybody tell me what this movie is called if you know please?

217 cecilia November 3, 2012 at 12:15 am

Sam, the movie is called “a simple twist of fate”

218 jasmine November 19, 2012 at 11:03 pm

i am sam is a great movie about fatherhood. i love that movie :)

219 RogerWilco November 27, 2012 at 2:48 am

I can’t believe you left out Taken!

220 Azzri Fickri December 11, 2012 at 10:34 pm

The Family Man with Nicholas Cage and Fun with Dick and Jane with Jim Carrey has got to be included. The former touches about the classic question of money, power, fame versus the simple being-a-good-father-to-my-kids lifestyle. The latter is about corporate perseverance and putting food on the table.

221 sam December 12, 2012 at 2:40 am

thank yo sooo much cecillia i have been trying to look for it for ever and now i am watching it lol

222 Kent Brockwell December 13, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I can’t believe you left out Outside Providence!”

Great fatherly advice from Alec Baldwin, like:
“[Prep school] is to prepare you for not getting your neck broke by me.”
“Making sex is like Chinese dinner. It ain’t over till you both get your cookies. Remember that I said that.”
“Shut up, ya little hard-on!”
“Drag your pimply ass in here and say hi to the guys. Show some class for Christ’s sakes!”
“Why don’t you and those other ass bags get out of here and quit buggin’ us.”

223 Chris H. December 15, 2012 at 7:49 pm

For those of us that still have younger Men Mr. Mom is a great one. My son renamed my ex wifes vacuum Jaws after seeing it.

224 Eric December 17, 2012 at 12:18 pm

“the return” and “biutiful” if you like watching extremely powerful and life-changing films

225 Robert December 21, 2012 at 8:34 pm

“Kramer Vrs Kramer”should have been at the top of the list.

226 sheetanshu December 22, 2012 at 12:07 am

Hey Descendants is a great movie about Fatherhood, and one of my favorite

227 Boysrus December 28, 2012 at 5:45 pm

“A Better Life” powerful illustration of the sacrifices fathers make for their children – described as an amazing story about mexican immigration, but universal in it’s father/son theme. How about father/son stories about the strain and resentment so often created when the son is not living up to expectations (either those of the father or those perceived by the son, or both)?

228 Danny D January 5, 2013 at 9:04 pm

One of my favorite movies is Big Fish. It always reminded me of my Dad. The day after he passed away, I turned on my TV and there it was. Big Fish was on I watched the whole movie with tears running down my eyes. It will always be one of my favorite movies of all time.

229 Jim-Bob January 13, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Two films that need to be on the list:

Dad.
Starring Jack Lemon and Ted Danson.
Simply one of the best films about father son relationship I have ever seen.

The Champ.
Stars John Voight and Ricky Shroder (amazing tear scenes). Directed by Franco Zeffereli.

230 Henry Garcia January 30, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Several movies that haven’t been mentioned that belong on the list are:
East of Eden. One was made in the 1950s with James Dean and Julie Harris and the second longer TV miniseries with Jane Seymour and Timothy Bottoms about the rivalry of two brothers for the love of the father; A River Runs Through It with Brad Pitt about two brothers and their relationship with their father;

Also: I never Sang For My Father, Gene Hackman and Melvyn Douglas.
Splendor In The Grass and Dead Poets Society with subplots about how controlling fathers affect their son’s lives.

231 John February 5, 2013 at 12:45 pm

Lonesome Dove, great subplot about dealing with mistakes, and just how much a man values his son and what he passes on to him.

232 Butch Franco February 9, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I can’t believe you ALL missed “On Golden Pond”.

233 Jeremy Trowbridge February 14, 2013 at 9:39 am

Just had my son a few days ago, and I’m waiting to watch Hook with my Dad. There is something to be said for fatherhood if it makes the one guy who could never grow up, become an adult. “Daddy… I wanted to become a daddy…” Best scene of the whole movie.

234 Dustin B. February 26, 2013 at 11:52 am

The Man Without a Face……One of Mel Gibson’s finest movies. Disfigured man (a teacher) helps a wayward and lost boy prepare for a school entry exam and becomes almost a surrogate father to the boy.

235 Adam March 3, 2013 at 8:39 pm

“Frequency” w/ Dennis Quad

236 John Milligan March 20, 2013 at 5:15 pm

October Sky is probably the only movie I have ever seen with a father/son dynamic that makes me tear up.

The rocketry and such is just a backdrop to a son trying to get his father’s respect for doing something different that is expected of him.

237 Eli April 12, 2013 at 10:38 pm

The Good Baby with a grown up Henry Thomas

Always Outnumbered with Laurence Fishborn –

Frequency with Dennis Quaid and Jim Caviezel

Cloak and Dagger with Dabney Coleman and Henry Thomas

Sounder (1972 version) with Paul Winfield and Kevin Hooks

238 Cedric Savery April 22, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Legends of the Fall, Pontiac Moon

239 Cedric April 22, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Legends of The Fall and Pontiac Moon

240 Serafin May 2, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I’d have to include two Daniel Day Lewis movies… In the Name of the Father and There Will Be Blood.

241 Mark May 3, 2013 at 1:02 pm

have to agree with Legends of the Fall. Not only is the father son relationship explored, the relationship between brothers, wives/girlfriends and the struggle between farm and city life.
Click is good as well, as it focus’s on not losing time with your family and the importance of each day.
The patriot is good on so many levels as well, The older son who wants to follow dads war reputation and follow in his footsteps, the second oldest who also want to follow his father. The two younger boys helping their father to free the captured older brother and at the same time being invited in to their fathers world. that particular scene says a lot, its saying to his sons, i have taught you, i trust you with my life and i believe in you, although quite gruesome its a special scene.
Lord of the rings, stay with me here… ultimatly the second plot line is the story of aragorn coming to terms with his role at king of gondor, coming to terms with his fathers legacy and stepping into his legacy. whilst remaining humble enough that in one of the final scenes he the king of gondor bow’s to a group of Hobbits. (lots of lessons in that movie).
grown ups, a comedy about a group of friends reunited by their high school basketball coaches funeral, and discovering that they have been living false lives (masks), their kids are troubled and so on. spending a weekend at a lake house and rediscovering themselves and bringing their children along for the ride.
I can think of many more but ill save your eyes…

242 Pat May 14, 2013 at 11:28 am

Cinderella Man. James J. Braddock has to get back in the ring to keep his kids from starving. Good example of a father sacrificing for his family.

243 LJ May 23, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Boiler room – Those its more about the consequences of going for the easy money, Giovanni Ribisi’s character was totally influenced by his father’s (ron rifkins) overbearing attitude. And the scene where they reconcile, speaks to the nature of fathers who want to be good fathers and not the men they once were.

244 Rick June 4, 2013 at 11:36 pm

I would throw in the place beyond the pines.

245 John F. June 5, 2013 at 4:26 am

Well… there lots of “I can’t believe” suggestions on here already and all of them good… along with what was already a great list… but I’m going to add, only because it’s got lots of what it feels like to be a fumbling young father stuff in it, yet another all time classic… “Raising Arizona.” That movie is almost all about that transition from independent guy to realizing what it means, in the very early months of a child’s life to both want and then have one of your own.

Oh, and here’s another one: The Great Santini. Can’t say that I lived much of that myself, but talk about a complicated father-son relationship.

Damn, one more: To Kill a Mockingbird. That’s largely about how a child comes to see her father in a different light. Both for the scene where mild-mannered Atticus has to shoot a rabid dog and for the powerful courtroom scenes.

Yikes, one more comes to mind: Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner. That’s got the double Dad struggle in it, of Sidney Poitier’s father coming to terms with the pending interracial marriage and Spencer Tracy not only doing the same, but also showing what it means to realize how much he love his wife — in a fantastic speech at the end — which, of course, is one of the greatest gifts (and lessons) any father can give a child.

246 john f. June 5, 2013 at 4:31 am

Sorry… just realized that “To Kill a Mockingbird” is already on there. As penance, here’s one more: “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

I know, it’s a Christmas movie. And a movie about community. And a movie about appreciating one’s own life… but c’mon. This one is jammed with father figure stuff… from George’s wise old dad to the instant George reaches into his pocket and finds joy in finding Zuzu’s petals. Family figures large in this one. Besides, it was one of my own Dad’s favorite movies… so how could I leave it out?

247 Dave June 5, 2013 at 5:24 am

Two very powerful Fathering movies were “The Sound of Music”, where a distant authoritarian Father reconnects with his children; and “Mary Poppins”, with a workaholic absent Dad realising that his children were the most important thing in his life.

248 Vlad June 5, 2013 at 6:25 am

The Place Beyond The Pines is a brilliant insight into fatherhood, and subsequently manhood.

249 Pat June 5, 2013 at 9:56 am

The catch scene at the end of Field of Dreams.

250 Fred June 5, 2013 at 10:54 am

I would add Second Best to the list. It is a William Hurt movie about a single man adopting a troubled youth and the struggle they both have in dealing with the feeling the boy has for biological father who is in prison.

251 Brian McElfish June 5, 2013 at 2:09 pm

I have to say, Cinderella Man. I saw the scene where he picked up his mouthpiece and the flashes through his head and knew exactly what was going through his head and how knowing what you’re fighting for can overcome massive odds.

And who can forget all the Vacation movies! That’s more like real life than anything I’ve ever come across. Clark W. Griswold is more like the normal dad who tries too hard than any other character in cinema. He’s not the hard-ass Clint Eastwood, he’s not the ultra-cool Brad Pitt, he’s me. And it can always end up fine in the end.

Along those lines, Planes, Trains and Automobiles about what the love of your family can drive you to do. And the connection it can forge between two strangers.

252 Marty June 6, 2013 at 1:50 am

The ending of The Last of the Mohicans. Watching the father, Chingachgook charge through the Huron tribe, never stopping, to avenge his sons death. I never understood that scene until I because a father.

253 random coolzip June 6, 2013 at 11:32 am

Mr. Mom? Another Michael Keaton effort well worth the time.

254 random coolzip June 6, 2013 at 11:36 am

Oh, yeah – and don’t forget The Sons of Katie Elder…

255 Brian June 7, 2013 at 9:12 am

Mrs. Doubtfire with Robin Williams.

256 Rebecca June 12, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I think the Bird Cage with Robin WIlliams and Nathan Lane. Two fathers willing to do whatever it takes to make their son proud and not embarass him in front of his future inlaws. Not a lot of teary scenes, but the premise of a father (or in this case fathers) doing whatever he feels his child needs to be happy, even if it means changing or hiding who he is – parents will do anything for the child

257 Darcie June 13, 2013 at 10:02 pm

Since Finding Nemo made the list and it’s a cartoon, I’d like to add the animated movie BARNYARD. While it’s humorous and very entertaining, it also has an awesome Father and Son plot. What better plot then a Father who didn’t have to be one, but chose to, and a rebellious son who finally realizes that his “Father” is exactly who he wants to be like!
P.s. It made my 4 year old cry and tell his Daddy how much he LOVED him <3

258 Tom June 27, 2013 at 9:55 am

Yeah, all great and off course that thoughtprovoking and holistic Tree of Life. Brad Pitt being an abusive but very human father.
and .. death of a salesman. Where Dustin and John face off.
and sickly: Oldboy, oh nooooo thats horrible. being remade now i think..
Father/son moments are so powerfull.

259 Hipolit July 10, 2013 at 7:49 am

There’s a Polish film “Tato” (“Daddy”) from 1995, where Bogusław Linda plays a father, who struglles for the right to rise his daughter, while his ex-wife is mentally ill, her mother is also not psychically stable, and the court still doubts if it’s he who need to take care of the child.
Too bad the film wasn’t shown outside Poland

260 Art July 25, 2013 at 10:51 pm

I think Click was a good eye opening movie for some men that work and don’t stop to see whats they might be missing. life is fast only you are able to slow things down to enjoy it.

261 Adam August 5, 2013 at 12:56 pm

The Empire Strikes Back. Perhaps the most iconic father/son film of all time…

262 Michael August 5, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Lots of great suggestions, and I will have to see some of them that I have not seen before. One I didn’t see mentioned: “Nothing in Common” with Tom Hanks and Jackie Gleason (I believe it was his last movie).

263 Syed Qurram September 5, 2013 at 2:44 pm

How about “Real Steel”?
I believe “Over the top” is another one portraying a struggling father.

264 Math September 29, 2013 at 11:15 pm

One that always gets me is After the Promise.

265 lakeguy November 13, 2013 at 8:28 pm

No one mentioned, “The Princess Bride”?

“My name is…” ;-)

266 Ritz November 15, 2013 at 5:59 am

Chasing Mavericks.

267 Juan Valladares November 22, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Life is Beautiful.

268 Hiuhu December 2, 2013 at 6:34 am

John Q by Denzel Washington.

269 Umar December 4, 2013 at 6:35 am

I’m not sure whether anybody has mentioned it but father-son relationship in RETURN OF THE JEDI was intense.

270 Mike December 10, 2013 at 11:44 am

The Champ (1931) If the final scene doesn’t at the very least make your lower lip quiver, you my friend might be a psychopath.

271 Docsurf December 18, 2013 at 5:45 pm

As mentioned before, “My Life as a House” Is near, or at, the top of my list. I would also mention John Wayne in “The Cowboys” as a great father figure movie, and although it is only a small part of the movie “Seven Years in Tibet”, I would add it to a list as well.

272 mahtab January 17, 2014 at 8:58 am

in iran the best movies about fatherhood are found on tv not cinema.

273 James February 5, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Good call on “My Life”, severely underrated.

274 Shannon March 22, 2014 at 9:09 am

My 58-year-old father is currently in the hospital with irrecoverable brain damage after a cardiac arrest a week ago and I am his 22-year-old daughter. I will be taking him off life support tomorrow. No mother, learning disabled sister to take care of now. Wow, that should be a movie in itself. But aside from Finding Nemo, a film that has always touched my Daddy and I is “Million Dollar Baby”. It is not about a father, but a father-like figure to a female boxer who herself becomes paralyzed and wants him to “pull the plug”.
-Mochuisle.