Dressing for the Holidays: Your 60 Second Guide

by Brett & Kate McKay on November 26, 2013 · 14 Comments

in Dress & Grooming, Style, Visual Guides

Thanksgiving: shawl sweater, casual button-down, dark jeans, chukkas.  Office Holiday Party: sport coat, dress shirt, argyle sweater, wool trousers, casual oxfords.  Christmas Open House Party: button down, casual tie, v-neck sweater, chinos, dress boots.  Christmas Day: santa hat, festive Christmas cardigan, relaxed jeans, moccasins.

This post is brought to you by State Farm. For more help, visit State Farm Nation. What’s this?

The holidays are supposed to be a break in our everyday lives — something special that lifts us out of the mundane. Part of what makes an occasion feel special for us, and contributes to an atmosphere that makes it feel special to others, is how we dress. Sit down to Thanksgiving dinner in a t-shirt and jeans and it feels like any other day; dress a little sharper and it feels more like a holiday.

You can mix up the style of sweater you wear for these occasions — we just wanted to get you thinking about the range of options out there. Just read up about which sweater styles are appropriate for certain situations. If you’re looking for more tips on dressing for the holidays, check out this guide.

1 Jameson November 26, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Got my Thanksgiving Party for work tomorrow (thank you to all who donated to the USO, its your money buying my food tomorrow) and that Thanksgiving illustration is exactly what I have laid out. Glad to know I’ve got the right idea.

2 Clay Roberts November 26, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Nice guide! Definitely useful for the office parties I’ll be going to this holiday season.

3 Grayson November 26, 2013 at 3:28 pm

I’m fairly certain that one can wear the Santa hat at all occasions.

4 Josh November 26, 2013 at 3:37 pm

It’s going to be a weird Hannukkah.

5 Camshaft November 26, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Unless you’re in Australia like me, then thongs, boardshorts, t-shirt, sunglasses, hat, and beer “stubbie” holder is all you need… :)

6 Les November 26, 2013 at 6:26 pm

Tan shoes, with pink shoelaces. A polka dot vest and man oh man.

7 Chris November 26, 2013 at 7:37 pm

A nice general guide to what to wear. But seriously, the Christmas Day outfit is a bit off the mark. A festive Christmas cardigan? Yeah, maybe if I want to get laughed at all day. Smart casual, according to the weather. In Australia, our Christmas is always very hot so probably I’d wear smart shorts and shirt and casual footwear. Simple.

This is probably a guide from the 50s or 60s? Great how most of it still can be applied to men of today – true class stands the test of time.

8 Chris November 27, 2013 at 6:10 am

This does seem to pre-suppose that I have multiple pairs of non-sneaker-shoes, as opposed to my standard “look-respectable-generic-brown-shoes”. I’ll ask Santa for some shoes I think!

9 James November 27, 2013 at 8:13 am

It’s all cold weather clothing! Us Floridians are kindred spirits with Camshaft and the Australians.

We have a cold front coming through today so no Thanksgiving dip in the pool for us tomorrow.

10 Tom Macko November 27, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Love it. I like “The Getup” Primer Mag has. Awesome seeing this kind of stuff on AoM.

11 Glenda November 27, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Thanksgiving Dinner: sure would love to see chinos and not jeans. A sports jacket and good shirt would be great with the chinos, but a good shirt & good sweater would be ok, too.

12 Tyler November 27, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Remember to keep whatever everyone else is wearing in mind when picking your outfit. For example, if you’re at a really laid back company (like me) and everyone else will be in jeans and t-shirts, you might want to keep the jacket at home.

13 Joe November 28, 2013 at 10:58 am

FR coveralls, hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe boots, impact resistant gloves. Another holiday working in the oil patch.

14 henry November 28, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Thanks, this is very helpful and creative