Outfitted & Equipped: Fourth of July Parade

by Brett on June 19, 2013 · 21 Comments

in Outfitted & Equipped, Visual Guides

Fourth of July Parade 1

125x125 This post is brought to you by Declaration Clothing. Check out their line of Revolutionary War and WWII-inspired tees. How does Outfitted and Equipped work? The FAQ.

Independence Day is in two weeks. My family has always done the Fourth of July up big with lots of traditions. The day is filled with activities from morning until night; my family loves to cram as much fun as possible into the holiday. The highlight of the day has always been the Fourth of July parade in my hometown of Edmond, OK. The parade hasn’t changed much in 20 years, but I still enjoy going to it year after year. I love the sense of community when I’m standing next to my neighbors cheering on the local Boy Scouts carrying flags or watching a local children’s Tae Kwon Do class demonstrate their board-breaking skills along the parade route.

In today’s edition of Outfitted & Equipped I highlight some of the things I’ll be packing and sporting at this year’s Fourth of July Parade.

1. The Shades. Ray-Ban Wayfarer. Classic, cool, and keeps the summer sun out of your eyes.

2. The Tee. Declaration Clothing Liberty. Style’s not really a priority on the Fourth, at least for me. But one place I suggest a simple upgrade is the t-shirt department. Every year my mom buys us all Old Navy t-shirts with American flags emblazoned on the front. But they’re not very spiffy (sorry mom) and donning a patriotic tee that’s made in China doesn’t exactly say “Happy Independence Day.” Enter the tees from Declaration Clothing. Besides my bros at Tankfarm, these guys make my absolute favorite tees; I’m such a huge fan. They’re all made in the USA and sport interesting, conversation-starting designs that draw on American history and symbolism. Their Liberty tee is perfect for the Fourth. They also make the “Join or Die” t-shirt I sported in the playground workout video that drew a good number of compliments.

3. The Chair. Lawn Chair USA Old Glory. The parade in Edmond can last a good two hours or more, so you’re going to need a place to sit. These patriotic lawn chairs from Lawn Chair USA will do the trick. This American classic is made in Georgia, U.S.A.

4. The Shoes. Sperry Original Boat Shoe. My go-to summertime casual shoe. Here’s how to wear them sockless without stinking up the joint.

5. The Shorts. Old Navy Utility Shorts. Simple, cheap.

6. The Beverage Container. Coleman Steel-Belted Cooler. Even at nine am, the temps on a July morning can be creeping into the 90s here in Oklahoma. A cooler packed with icy beverages is a must.

7. The Beverage. Virgil’s Root Beer. What do I hope to see in that cooler? A frosty bottle of Virgil’s root beer. The hands down winner of the AoM root beer taste test!

8. The Snack. Blueberry Scone. The best part of the parade is quite possibly the bagfuls of blueberry scones my sister whips up. They’re extraordinary. Nothing like munching on a tasty pastry while listening to the float for a local bank blast “I’m Proud To Be An American” from their speakers.

9. The Bottle Opener. Declaration Independence Opener. This handsome bottle opener from Declaration Clothing features a U.S.A. monogram that was engraved on the buttons of Continental Army officers during the Revolutionary War.

10. The Pride. Mini American Flag. Long may she wave! Having a little American flag to wave when the troops march by is essential. The flag’s gotta be made in America of course! America’s oldest flag maker, Annin, has been making American flags domestically since 1847. Their flags have flown at every inauguration since Zachary Taylor’s in 1849, atop Mount Suribachi on Iwo Jima in 1945, and on the moon. They don’t sell online though, unfortunately, so if you have trouble finding one locally, here’s a mini Made in America flag for just a buck.

Tell us about your hometown’s Independence Day parade in the comments!

1 Josh June 19, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Any coupon codes available for the t-shirt?

2 Devin Sharp June 19, 2013 at 12:41 pm

You should start selling these items as kits.

3 KDJ June 19, 2013 at 1:12 pm

I would like to see an Outfitted & Equipped for a float trip.

4 Chris June 19, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Great choice on the Virgil’s Rootbeer! I’ve been drinking those with my dad since I was a kid. I recently tried the Virgil’s Cola…very good as well. Give it a try men.

5 Randy June 19, 2013 at 6:28 pm

I have been wanting too try some Virgil’s Rootbeer. But they don’t sell them anywhere near Mississippi.

6 Matt G June 19, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Virgil’s has nothing on Sprecher Root Beer. Give it a try.

7 Noel June 20, 2013 at 8:33 am

You should get the Knockaround premiums… $14 and made in the good old USA. :)

8 Nick June 20, 2013 at 8:38 am

A lot of the reviews on that cooler are pretty negative. Paying tribute to the phrase “they don’t make them like they used to.” And that is sad considering the current sale price is $150. Tip: Look for a 1980s classic model (it comes with an attached bottle opener) either at garage sales or thrift store. I’ve even seen them on Ebay for under $50.

Stay manly.

9 Guy June 20, 2013 at 10:45 am

You forgot some fire crackers

10 Justin June 20, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Echoing what Nick said, I found a tan/brown model from the 70s or 80s for $20 on craigslist. I actually put an ad in the Wanted section because I really wanted one.

11 Nat June 20, 2013 at 1:16 pm

how about an outfitted & equipped for a vegas bachelor party?

12 Al June 20, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I live in a small beach town on the north shore of Long Island. We call Independence day “Christmas in July”. We don’t have a parade but everyone is out and about on the 4th and there is a distinctive buzz in the air and the exciting feeling of the holiday. The rocky sand beaches in town are packed all day. There are House parties going on everywhere in town. A at night everyone gathers on the beaches to watch the myriad of fire work shows that can be seen up and down the shore line and across the Long Island Sound. It’s truly a special place on the 4th of July!

13 RJF June 20, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Any chance of getting a recipe for the scones? Not very manly of me…it is for my wife :)

14 christopher calahan June 21, 2013 at 8:43 am

My home towns Independence Day parade is the best. first off it runs right though main street that still has the original 1900′s building standing with all the shops in them kind of reminds me of Norman Rockwell paints when I go back to visit. The army reserve leads the parade and from the elementary school though high school every class has a float as well as the clubs be it school clubs or hunting clubs and secret societies everybody has a float. And the entire town decorates their homes and businesses weeks in advance. And the day of the streets are filled with people wavering flag and shaking hand old war vets are dressed in uniform some fit most don’t but they ware them anyway and that is what inspired me to join the army my home town Independence Day.

15 Heath June 22, 2013 at 12:20 pm

All good things on this page with the exception of that cooler. Nostalgic yes but the Coleman Xtreme series of coolers will keep your beverages and food cold for almost 7 straight days. The lower end Coleman coolers are a complete waste of money.

16 Dale Applegate June 22, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I have to agree that Edmond has the best 4th of july activities. If you are looking for a great way to celebrate our great nation this is the way.

17 coolcat June 24, 2013 at 12:17 pm

any tips on where i can get cheap boat shoes?

18 Matt June 24, 2013 at 11:06 pm

I bought the anchor tshirt from Declaration. Thanks for the website link! Super solid clothing site. Will buy from again.

19 Orange Joe June 25, 2013 at 3:56 pm

I just got in my black join or die tshirt from Declaration. It was a nice surprise to receive the shirt in a canvas bag with a trading card and tea bag! Its unfortunate my girlfriend liked the shirt too because now I have to order another one!

20 Matthew June 25, 2013 at 7:03 pm

The Annin flags used to be on Huckberry! Alas, no longer.

21 Kyle April 11, 2014 at 11:07 pm

You should check out Horizon Sunglasses for their custom classics .. made in the good ole US of A