AoM Month of Sandwiches Day #10: Black Bean Veggie Sandwich

by Brett on April 12, 2013 · 17 comments

in Cooking, Food & Drink, Travel & Leisure

tasting

Welcome to Day #10 of the AoM sandwich project. Last month we asked readers for their best sandwich recommendations. Out of 483 submissions, we picked 20 to highlight here on the site each weekday during the month of April. At the end, we’ll publish all the entries into an epic man-sandwich cookbook. Enjoy.

Today’s Sandwich: Black Bean Veggie Sandwich by Scott

So far, all the sandwiches we’ve featured have had meat, so I figured it was time we throw a bone to our vegetarian readers (is that kosher?) and feature a sandwich sans carne. Kate, who isn’t the biggest fan of deli meat, also wanted me to make a sandwich that she could share with me. This black bean veggie sandwich from Scott caught my eye. Will it make this carnivore a believer? Let’s find out.

Ingredients

ingredients

• White bread
  • Mayo
  • Mustard
  • Cheddar cheese  (I didn’t have any on hand, so I used muenster cheese)
  • Zucchini
  • Mushrooms
  • Black beans
  • Red or green pepper (I used a jalapeño pepper — I like living dangerously!)
  • 2 garlic cloves

Step 1: Make Bean Mix

ingredmixer

Put can of black beans (drained), red or green pepper, and two garlic cloves in food processor. You’re kind of making a black bean hummus here.

mixer

Blend until well mixed. It should still be thick, and hummus-y, though. I unfortunately went a little food processor crazy and created an almost liquid mixture.

Step 2: Thinly Slice Zucchini

zuchinni

Create 4 to 5 thinly sliced zucchini rounds.

Step 3: Slice Mushroom

mushrooms

Slice one small mushroom.

Step 4: Add Mayo to Bread

mayo

Spread a generous helping of mayo on white bread.

Step 5: Add Cheese

cheese

Add two slices of cheddar or muenster cheese. Scott says it’s “very important that the mayo and cheese be touching — it’s not the same without the directly combined flavors.”

Step 6: Add Zucchini Slices

zslices

Add zucchini slices.

Step 7: Stack Mushroom Slices

shroomslices

Step 8: Add a Dollop of Bean Mix

beanmix

Yes, I know what it looks like. Hold in those snickers. It tastes good. I promise.

Step 9: Spread Mustard on Second Slice of Bread

mustard

Finished Product

finished

Thanks to my over-blending, this isn’t the prettiest sandwich we’ve showcased. But how does it taste?

Taster’s Notes

tasting

As a ravaging carnivore, I had my doubts about this no-meat sandwich. And my overly-pureed beans were not the most appetizing thing in the world. But I’ll be darned if this sandwich didn’t taste great. It was filling to boot! The bean mix was delicious — and there was plenty of it left over for several more sandwiches. The jalapeño gave it a strong kick of spice; if you don’t like things forehead-sweating hot, use a bell pepper. The mushroom actually gave the sandwich a meaty texture. I can definitely see this becoming a regular sandwich for me. If you’re a vegetarian, I highly recommend this one; if you’re an unapologetic carnivore, give it a chance. You might be surprised.

1 sugapablo April 12, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Being a vegetarian I suppose I may appreciate this bone (get it?) more than most. I think when trying this, I’d saute or grill the vegetables before adding them to the sandwich, enhancing the flavor and making them softer such that they’re less likely to squeeze the bean paste out.

2 Paul April 12, 2013 at 7:40 pm

This reminds me of one of my favorite desserts: beanie brownies.
Rinse one 15 oz can of black beans in a collander. Put black beans in a blender with 1 cup of water and blend. Pour bean mixture over 1 package of your favorite brownie mix. Then bake for about 45 minutes to an hour. Test with a toothpick. When no brownie mix comes off on the toothpick, it’s done.

3 Kory April 12, 2013 at 8:43 pm

@Paul, be a little more honest. Those aren’t “beans” you’re putting in your brownies now is it? ;-)

4 Robb Stark April 12, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Thanks for a sandwich for us vegetarians!! :))))

5 Kyle W April 13, 2013 at 6:39 am

Sounds good. However, I think a few tweaks can make it better/easier to eat. Dice the vegetables and saute them. Puree half the beans and keep the other half whole. Add them all together. Add a tablespoon of flour. This should give the mixture enough “body” that you can sear it on a griddle like a meat burger, without having the puree ooze out everywhere.

6 Richard April 13, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Anybody try this with cucumber instead of the zucchini?

7 Nic S April 13, 2013 at 1:59 pm

good sandwich, for sure. what I recommend though, is to add flour and cheddar cheese to the mixture, giving the beans a dough like consistency. Then patty up the mixture and brown it off in a pan along with the zucchini. i know you weren’t going for a burger here, but it definitely would make a great one! cheers!

8 Michael H April 13, 2013 at 11:38 pm

It’s nice that a vegetarian sandwich was mentioned. That said I agree that this would be better as a burger. And for me personally as a vegan a few adjustments would have to be made, but still nice to see regardless.

9 bierluvre April 14, 2013 at 9:06 am

I think you should have been making bean dip instead and that is a scary looking amount of mayo.

10 TygeOD April 14, 2013 at 8:02 pm

I’m relatively new to AOM and love the site. As a plant-based eater, I would suggest using guacamole or hummus instead of mustard and mayo. If using mustard, don’t use something like French’s–that’s nasty stuff if you read the ingredients. Instead, use an organic stone-ground mustard that doesn’t have stuff like “yellow number 5 (for color)” in it’s ingredients! Also, it’s be a lot healthier to use whole wheat/grain bread, rather than that bleached-out flour that has no nutrients whatsoever.

11 Andrew April 15, 2013 at 7:38 am

Good ingredients. As mentioned many times above, I think sauteing the veggies first would be a great improvement.

Instead of making a black bean slop, try making a black bean burger out of it:

1 can of mashed black beans
1 cup of oats
garlic
jalapeno

mix together and form two patties, then fry ‘em up and plop them hot and ready on the bread so the cheese will melt. Then add the sauteed veggies.

12 Adam April 16, 2013 at 8:40 am

Black beans are very filling, I usually have them with every meal. Putting them into a sandwich sounds like a great idea.

13 Bruce April 16, 2013 at 11:30 am

I like a bit more “bite” to my sandwich so I go with a black bean patty instead of a paste. Cook it up in the oven (or the toaster oven here at work) and top with avocado and sauteed peppers – tasty stuff. I’m Team No Mayo but I could see a Bavarian mustard going well with it

14 Justin April 19, 2013 at 10:01 am

Pass. I need protein. Mushrooms, while they deliver texture, don’t have the polypeptides I want. Sorry.

15 Frank April 19, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Justin, beans are an excellent source of protein.

16 Justin April 22, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Frank, while blacks beans are indeed an excellent source of protein, they are only so when compared to other vegetables. According to one website I checked, 1 C of beans has 15 g of protein. This sandwich uses maybe 1/4 C for about 4 g of protein. I try to consume about 28 g per meal so this sandwich just doesn’t deliver.

FYI, I follow the Zone Diet and am currently consuming 16 blocks w/ 2 x fat and I have seen excellent results. I’ve gone from about 30% body fat to 8% and have at the same time put on about 10 lbs of muscle. I would whole-heartedly recommend the Zone Diet for anyone trying to get into better shape.

17 Ashanté April 23, 2013 at 12:40 am

The vegetables should definitely be sauteed or grilled for better flavor. Also, there is plenty of alternative lunch meats out there that you can finda at a kroger or giant eagle. They give you that meaty texture and savory flavor too.