AoM Month of Sandwiches Day #5: The Drunken Steak Sandwich

by Brett on April 5, 2013 · 10 comments

in Cooking, Food & Drink, Travel & Leisure

finished

Welcome to Day #5 of the AoM sandwich project. Last month we asked readers for their best sandwich recommendations. Out of 483 submissions, we picked 20 to highlight here on the site each weekday during the month of April. At the end, we’ll publish all the entries into an epic man-sandwich cookbook. Enjoy.

Today’s Sandwich: The Drunken Steak Sandwich by Adam

Adam submitted an interesting take on the traditional steak sandwich, and by interesting, I mean all the ingredients are saturated with Rickard’s beer. This looked a bit more challenging to make than the other sandwiches on the list, so I thought it would be fun to highlight a more complex creation. And since I’m actually a teetotaler myself, I figured it would be humorously ironic to cook with more beer than I’ll drink in a lifetime. Will inebriating the ingredients make a ho hum steak sandwich really hum? Let’s find out.

Ingredients

ingredients

• Rickard’s Red (or any amber ale. I couldn’t find Rickard’s here in Tulsa, so I went with Full Sail Amber.)
  • Rickard’s Dark (or any dark ale. I used Claymore’s Scotch Ale from Great Divide Brewing in Denver, CO.)
  • Rickard’s White (or any citrus ale. I used a Pale Ale from Marshall’s here in Tulsa.)
  • Steak (I went to the grocery store at a weird time. Only thing they had was strip steak and filet mignon. I bought the strip.)
  • White onion (not pictured)
  • Red Pepper
  • Chipotle peppers
  • Lime (not pictured)
  • Mayo
  • Soy sauce (not pictured)
  • Cilantro paste (I didn’t use this ingredient as I’m not a huge fan of cilantro)
  • Baguette (couldn’t find a baguette, so I substituted a sausage roll)

Step 1: Marinate Steak

beersteak

Marinate steak in amber ale and a bit of soy sauce for a few hours. I goofed here. You were supposed to use the amber ale for the steak marinade, but I used the darker stuff. Crap.

soysteak

Add a bit of soy sauce to the mix. Let it sit in the fridge for a few hours.

Step 2: Prepare Chipotle Mayo

chopchipotle

Chop up some chipotle peppers.

mayochip1

Mix chopped chipotle peppers with a scoop of mayo.

chipotlemayo

¡Eso! (That’s what I’m talking about!)

limemayo

Add some lime to the mayo.

Step 3: Cook Onions in Dark Ale

choponions

Chop up a white onion.

beeronions

Cook onions in dark ale until onions are reduced and very sloppy. Because of my goof with the marinade, I used the amber ale here.

friedonions

Beautiful.

Step 4: Cook Red Peppers in Citrus/White Ale

pepperschoped

Slice up your red pepper.

beerpeppers

Douse red peppers with your white ale. I used a pale ale instead. Cook until the peppers are nice and soft.

Step 5: Grill Steak

grillsteak

Remove steak from marinade and grill on high heat for 8 minutes. Go for medium-rare doneness.

Step 6: Slice Steak

slicemeat

Cut steak into thin slices.

Step 7: Slather Chipotle Mayo on Roll or Baguette

spreadmayo

Slather a generous helping of your chipotle mayo on roll.

Step 8: Stack on Steak, Onions, & Peppers

finished

Add steak, onion, and peppers. Can’t wait to eat this thing.

Taster’s Notes

eatsand

Somebody grab this sandwich’s keys before it does something crazy!

This was a great sandwich. So much going on here flavor-wise. The smoky spiciness of the chipotle mayo went wonderfully with the beer-accented meat, onions, and peppers. I think if I were to make it again, I would have used flank steak instead of strip. I also think it would have been better with a baguette as called for in the original recipe.

The only downside to this sandwich is the length of time it takes to create. Not counting the few hours I marinated the steak, total prep time was about 40 minutes. Of course, things always take longer the first time you make them, so I’m sure I could reduce the time with practice. Nevertheless, as I typically turn to sandwiches as utilitarian, quick-to-assemble lunchtime grub, this would be one I’d personally save for dinner. A side of steak fries would go well with this sandwich. Natch.

1 Matt April 5, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Better Recipe

Everything’s the same, except you drink the beer instead! Steak is so good by itself.

2 Kenny April 5, 2013 at 5:56 pm

This sounds like my kind of sandwich. Nice choice with the beer selections, too!

3 Kerry April 5, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Yup. Sounds like something worth trying. Agree on the dinner idea though. May drop the bun, add some salad, and chips.

4 Andrew April 5, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Where is the ode to the delicious and unsurpassed deliciousness that is the fried egg sandwich. Toasted rye bread, two over easy fried eggs, avocado, bacon lettuce and tomato. That is a true sandwich i do not think i could ever get tired of it delicious simplicity.

5 John April 6, 2013 at 5:03 pm

@Andrew This is day only sandwich 5. Also, if a sandwich is delicous it was your responsibility to suggest it on the sandwich thread

6 the barking dog April 7, 2013 at 7:17 am

If you’re going to doctor up the mayo that much, and go to the effort with all the other ingredients, why not make the mayo too? 2 egg yolks, 2 tablespoons lime juice, salt to taste, and your chipotles into a blender or food processor. Blend until incorporated. With the blender/FP running, slowly add 1 cup oil (I use regular vegetable oil, but you could sub olive oil for some of that, up to about 1/2 cup). It should take at least a minute to add the oil. When done, check for seasoning; you may want more lime juice or salt, and if you’re used to storebought mayo, perhaps a pinch of sugar.

7 Clayton April 9, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Awesome stuff as always, but could you perhaps include the recipe in full at the end of the article so we can easily copy, paste, and print the directions?

8 samuel kucks April 18, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Looks absolutely great!!!
Def going to try this..
the beers are gonna be hard for me to find, I live in Brasil, and beers like this are very rare especially because I live in a more rural area. Dark ale i’ll find with no problem but the amber and citrus is a no no.. I’ll try the recipe with “Cachaça” a hard liquor made here in Brasil that has a very tangy sweet flavor since it is made from sugar cane. will report back with results. plan on trying it this Saturday.

9 Tony May 25, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Hokay, I just did a heavily modified version of this recipe, and two out of two diners were extremely impressed.

Here’s what happened:

1 Flank Steak marinated with Worsterschire Sauce, a little black pepper, and most of a bottle of Minhas Brewery’s Fighting Billy Bock for about two hours.

In lieu of Chipotle Mayo (since I couldn’t find any chipotles at the store, and the very idea of something spicy would’ve scared off one of the diners), I diced up about 4 peppadews and mixed them into some honey mustard.

Next, I sliced up onions, red and green peppers, and some mushrooms. I split a bottle of Capital Brewery’s Hop Cream Ale between the peppers and the onions and cooked them up in the beer as instructed. I started to get a little paranoid that they were running out of liquid too quickly, so I split a can of MGD between the two as well (cooking is a great time to get rid of the beer you would normally like to avoid actually drinking). The mushrooms, I just sauteed in butter.

While the steak was cooking away in the broiler (I don’t have much experience cooking steak, but I managed to get it out maybe slightly more done than Medium Rare), I sliced up a roll, buttered it up, and toasted it a bit in the pan that had previously cooked the veggies and now had a wee bit of residual beer to flavor my roll a bit unnecessarily.

Serve it all with some simple, boiled potatoes and a good glass of red (I know, it seems odd after cooking with all that beer), and let the accolades come rolling in.

10 Reginia Nesbit December 8, 2013 at 1:58 am

Yes. It should function. If it doesn’t send us an email.