Manly Rules for Naming Man’s Best Friend

by A Manly Guest Contributor on December 16, 2011 · 479 comments

in Friendship, Relationships & Family

Editor’s note: This is a guest post by Jon Finkel.

Presidents are notorious for giving their dogs politically correct names (See: Bill Clinton re: Buddy or Gerald Ford re: Liberty). Lyndon Johnson even had a pair of beagles he simply named Him and Her. But our manliest president, Teddy Roosevelt, would have none of that. Not only does he have a dog breed named after him (the Teddy Roosevelt Terrier) he is also responsible for perhaps the two coolest Oval Office dog names around: Sailor Boy and Blackjack. Since you don’t have your own dog breed named after you and you’re not likely to become the leader of the free world, we thought we’d provide you with a little assistance when it comes to the art of picking a manly name for your dog.

1) When it comes to female dog names, if you’re a single guy, steer clear of naming her after your favorite actress or supermodel (unless you want to end up like Michael Rapaport’s character in Beautiful Girls). Your buddies might think it’s funny, but grown women will think you’re fifteen.

2) Ironic names are like somewhat clever/funny voice mail recordings; they’re usually not as funny as you think they are, but even if they work, they’re only funny once, so don’t use them. Introducing your 10-pound Maltese named Bear might get a smile from some people, but then again, it might not. Also, if you’re a man, why do you have a Maltese? The only thing with the word “Maltese” in it that should be in your house is a copy of the Dashiell Hammett novel.

3) No car names for dogs. If you can’t afford a Lexus, don’t name your dog Lexus. If you can’t afford a BMW, don’t name your dog Beamer. It makes you look ridiculous. If you can afford these cars and you name a dog after your car, that’s probably the reason people don’t return your phone calls.

4) Dogs named after brands of alcohol are hard to pull off. As a rule, the more masculine the drink, the greater chance the name might be a success. Also, liquor names tend to work better than beer names: A Doberman named Johnny Walker? Possibly. A black lab named Guinness? Maybe. An Irish Setter named Jameson? You might be on to something. A Weimaraner named Corona or Michelob? Doubtful. Even Budweiser’s own canine mascot was named Spuds, not Bud.

4a) Age is a big factor with this rule. You have to go with your gut and trust your friends. In college, I thought my friend’s dog Jäger, as in Jägermeister, was the coolest thing ever. At the time, it probably was. Now that my buddy is 32 and has two daughters, the name feels a bit dated.

5) Piggybacking on the last corollary to the last rule: Never forget that many dogs live well beyond ten years–which is well beyond the few years of fame most pop stars enjoy. Letting your 14-year-old daughter name your new dog Bieber might make her happy now, but when your child is 24 and Justin Bieber is in rehab, nobody will be happy–least of all, the dog.

6) You really can’t go wrong with dogs named after great literary characters or old-school Presidents. Some examples: Lincoln and Jackson are great dog names. Huckleberry, Gatsby, and Buck (even though the character in this last case is an actual  dog) are solid as well.

7) Be careful about naming your dog after famous authors. You might be tempted to name your dog Hemingway or Twain or Cormac, but half the people won’t get the name and the other half will probably accuse you of being pretentious. That doesn’t leave many people besides you to appreciate it.

8) Never, ever name your dog after a current player on your favorite sports team. It may seem like a good idea, even if he just signed a 10-year, $127 million contract, but it’s not. Even if you never in your wildest dreams pictured Player X playing for another team, don’t do it. It’s not worth the agony when all of a sudden your favorite player somehow becomes a team cancer and decides he wants a contract extension, or more catches, or more playing time. Once that happens, you’re in trouble. Then, of course, there’s free agency. Sweating out a free agency period with your favorite athlete on the line is tough enough already, no need to make it worse.

8a) If your wife surprises you with a dog as a gift without reading this article, and she names the dog after Player X without your knowledge, or your kids absolutely love the name and you can’t turn them down, and Player X gets traded or signs elsewhere, you have every right to change your dog’s name. Think about how many dogs named “LeBron” are walking around Cleveland right now. Not a pretty sight.

9) Naming a dog after your favorite retired athlete isn’t the most unique idea, but if you do it, you absolutely have to take into account whether that athlete might do something insane in retirement that will make you want to change the dog’s name. There must have been several dozen people in the Buffalo area with dogs named OJ or Juice who were scrambling for new names for their pets in the mid ’90s. Retired players are good. Dead players are better. Same goes for actors, actresses, politicians, celebrities, artists, etc…

10) Dogs named after college coaches are a bad idea — too much insecurity and uncertainty about the character of the coach and how long he’ll be there. Would you want to have a dog named Paterno right now? Didn’t think so.

11) As for naming a dog after a stadium or arena, proximity to that stadium or arena is a major factor in whether you should do this. A dog named Fenway in Boston will be a dime a dozen and most likely looked upon as an uninspired nod to your Red Sox fandom. Same for a dog named Wrigley in Chicago or Lambeau in Green Bay. The farther you live from where your team plays, the more chance you have of the dog’s name coming off as original. A dog named Lambeau in Baton Rouge, Louisiana will probably be just fine. For large fan bases, it’s safer to stay away from these names, because chances are if you live near a major metropolitan area, there will be lots of transplants.

12) Dogs named after colleges or mascots in general are okay, but like stadiums, proximity is a factor. How many dogs named Gator are there in Florida? How many dogs named Bama are in Alabama? Hundreds. Avoid them. Better pick something original about your college experience and go with that. The street name your fraternity or sorority house was on, your favorite sandwich at your favorite sub shop–something like that is always good and gives you a great story.

13) Fido, Spot, Toto, Lassie, Snoopy, Buddy, etc…are all unacceptable.

14) Names based on a dog’s physical traits are also unacceptable: Fluffy, Snowy, Midnight, Brownie, Whitey… In fact, if your dog’s name could in some way be misinterpreted as an outdated racial insult, avoid it.

15) When in doubt, remember two things: simplicity and originality.

____________________________________________________

Jon Finkel has written for GQ, Details, ComedyCentral.com and the New York Times, among others. For tons of manly advice about how to name a child, interview for a job or even decide which actor played the most believable real-life boxer, check out Jon Finkel’s The Three Dollar Scholar: Awesome Advice for Acing Life’s Major Decisions and Mindless Debates today! Follow Jon on Twitter: @3dollarscholar

What did you name your dog? What names have you admired or disliked in the dogs of others? Sound off in the comments.

401 OldSchool January 11, 2012 at 9:36 am

I am surprised that the classic names aren’t listed: Rex, Chief, Scout, Shep, Jack, and removing all doubts Killer.

402 MK January 12, 2012 at 10:25 am

Interesting article, although I have to disagree with #14. My neighbors two black labs are named Onyx and Ebony which I feel are excellent dog names.

403 Jeremiah January 12, 2012 at 6:27 pm

We named our dog Wake, for Wake Forest. my wife is from about an hour from there and we currently live about 3 hours from there. Everyone knows the school wherever we go and we have yet to meet another Wake. What do you think, are we ok?

404 Robert January 12, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Best dog I ever had was named Sam. My sister named him that with no apparent reason, but it just worked.

405 Seth Wilson January 13, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I would like to add that naming a dog after an old folk or blues singer almost never goes wrong. Consider your choices: “Woody” “Cisco” “Lefty” “Pete” “Buddy”, et.al. They’re friendly, but rugged names that don’t go out of style.

406 Dan January 13, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I think that its important to remember that one day your pet is going to run away from you and you will have to chase behind it yelling for it to come back. When that day happens you don’t want to be shouting, “Fifi! Get back here!” No you want to shout something manly…like Sparta.

407 lady brett January 13, 2012 at 2:25 pm

may i just add to beware of “temporary” names. i mean, sometimes you have to call the dog something while you figure out the right name.

but other times a mini fox terrier wanders up, and, in light of the two 80-100 lb dogs around, you take to calling her “little dog” while you look for whoever clearly lost her. it is possible that 6 years later your folks’ still have a very small dog named “little” and it’s all your fault =)

generally, though, i have found that it is just clear when you’ve found the right name for a dog. sometimes it takes 2 minutes (as with my “solomon”) and sometimes it takes a week or two (as with my “bugle”), but man their names are so perfect for them.

408 Jon Finkel (article author) January 13, 2012 at 3:22 pm

400 plus comments. Pretty amazing. I made these rules up from my own experiences and it’s amazing how many people inherently used the same thought process to name their own dogs.

@Dan… Totally agree on the dog running away angle… That should be a litmus test right off the bat…

If you guys really enjoyed this article, check out the rest of the book, The Three Dollar Scholar – Awesome Advice for Acing Life’s Major Decisions and Mindless Debates, for only $2.99 on Amazon right now:

409 Hi-Fly January 14, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I have a little beaglier called Scout, as he always runs ahead of me, sniffing everything he comes across compulsively.
Scout is about as good a dog as you can get, and I’ve not met anyone who hasn’t enjoyed his company even if they proclaim not to like animals.

410 James January 14, 2012 at 1:44 pm

My youngest daughter names all of our dogs. They have all been strays that have found us. Sunshine, Joe (as in average), and Turtle. They have all fit the dogs perfectly.

411 Thom January 15, 2012 at 12:47 am

We had a Standard Poodle named Gatsby and a Rottweiler named Damnit – as in “get off of me Damnit!” We now have a Hybrid Wolf named Lupara from the GodFather’s term for a sawed-off shotgun – Lupara loosely means “wolf shot”. We have a Labrador named Pooh Bear (love to play with my Pooh everyday) and the worlds ugliest Chihuahua named Jezebel because she is a major flirt – big time. We treat her like a big dog and she’s the Alpha of the pack. When I was a little kid we had a Labrador named Barnaby.

412 FrankieG January 15, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I named my pug Mozes.

413 Jeff Lager October 2, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I have a gold retriever named Duke. I named him after everyone’s favorite cowboy. I think it works for him.

414 Alec October 16, 2012 at 8:07 pm

My dad’s greatest dog was named Valdez, and I heard so many stories about him growing up that he’s seems like one of the famous dog heroes. My dad often referred to him as Valdez the Wonder Dog.

The dog I grew up with was named J.P., for Jean-Luc Picard.

415 Christopher October 23, 2012 at 1:17 pm

@Jeff Lager: I’m a big John Wayne fan too. I bet he would appreciate that. I read that Duke got his nickname because of a dog that he loved. So that kinda completes the circle. Here’s a link to that: http://www.answers.com/topic/john-wayne.

416 Rick October 24, 2012 at 12:04 pm

My dog was dumped near our country home. At first he wouldn’t come near me. Gradually he would get closer and follow me. One day he started following me and would bump my hand with his cold wet nose, like he was tagging me. That inspired his name, and almost 12 years later “Tag” is still here. He is a very loyal friend.

417 Michael October 26, 2012 at 2:17 am

I named my dogs Innis and Gunn after my favorite beer. Is that fine?

418 Jani Myshtari October 26, 2012 at 5:14 am

We’ve got a little mutt that we named Bowser. I know that sounds kind of unoriginal, but there’s actually some strategy behind the name. Firstly, it sounds like a name a dog would have. Secondly (and more importantly, to my mind), it has a strong vowel sound in it, which tends to get a dog’s attention (the “ow” sound).

I find that dogs tend to learn and respond to their names more quickly and naturally if the name is short (couple syllables should be enough, really) and contains a good, strong vowel sound (oo, ay, ee, eye, etc.)

Anyway, there’s my two cents. Good article.

419 Zac October 27, 2012 at 1:39 pm

My female black lab is Rayne, its easy to get her attention when hunting, i personally havent heard another dog named that, i think it sounds cool, and most inprotantly my wife agreed to it!

420 Mahgongo November 7, 2012 at 2:51 pm

The funniest i seen is a big bad biker man with 2 pomerians named Harley and Chopper. Who says bikers arent kind giants.

My Labs name are Arthas (World of Warcraft, Lich King) and MoJo. but they will answer to dumb and dumber, if we tell them they are smart it will go to their heads.

421 Chad November 13, 2012 at 11:20 am

Once met a great dane name Reginald. he was so regal . . it was perfect.

422 Andrew November 14, 2012 at 7:51 pm

My wife and I just picked out our first dog, a Golden Retriever (in my opinion, the ONLY canine breed there is) and I named him after one of the greatest General’s, President’s and American’s in our history…his name is Ike.

423 Skyler November 24, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I have an English Bulldog female named Dizzy Devil

424 Jack November 27, 2012 at 4:51 am

We have two dogs, a Golden Retriever named Patton and a Bulldog named Churchill.

425 Joe November 27, 2012 at 7:38 am

“Also, if you’re a man, why do you have a Maltese? The only thing with the word “Maltese” in it that should be in your house is a copy of the Dashiell Hammett novel.”

My immediate reaction was all “oh, come on. This is so outdated! It’s a dog! Who cares if they’re on the small side, for instance some terriers are the toughest animal you’ve ever seen, how is that not ‘manly’…”

*Google image search of Maltese.*

Ah. Yes. I get it now.

We ended up going with the name the shelter chose as “Leroy” seemed to fit really well. We get a lot of Leroy Brown responses, which is appropriate, as the dog was found and now lives on the South Side of Chicago. But if anyone is familiar with video game references, Leeroy Jenkins seemed like a good fit for a puppy too.

I do like the idea of using some kind of unique reference to your college, particularly since we were just out of school when we got him. If it was a lady dog we were considering “Harper” after the street we used to live on and one of our school’s libraries – Harper Lee would have just been a bonus.

426 ldm November 27, 2012 at 7:15 pm

My son told me he wants three dogs: sandwich, dinosaur, and fish. Dunno what to make of those choices.

427 Ron T. November 27, 2012 at 11:59 pm

I don’t own a dog, but when I do, I want it to be a boxer named Atlas. Never heard of that before. Is it pretentious to name a dog after a mythological character?

428 Andrew December 9, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Jack (#424), I am all for World War 2 inspired dog names. Awesome choices!

429 Annie December 10, 2012 at 1:45 pm

My dogs are named Guinness, Shiner, and Mr. Tibbs (goes by Tibbs). They’re all easy to shout and never offend anyone.

430 gloria December 11, 2012 at 12:07 am

My favorite dog was Bob Barker…I guess you
need to be old enough to remember him from the Price Is Right. Yes, it’s a celebrity name, but it always got a laugh

431 Sarah December 19, 2012 at 7:46 am

Our basset was named Barney, and our beagle was Boomer. Perfect for both.

432 Justin December 19, 2012 at 7:59 am

I named my dog Woosh, my nickname as a kid.

433 Jess December 19, 2012 at 8:02 am

I have an American pit bull terrier named Chubbs. He isn’t fat, but the name suits him.

434 Matt December 19, 2012 at 8:10 am

Being a Lab lover. My first lab was a yellow female named Fawn. The family I got her from named her, she was the best dog ever. My second lab one was a black one I named Buck, sticking with the whole “outdoor” theme. He was a great friend too. And my current pal of mine is Jake, a yellow lab I got from a breeder friend. And when his time has come, I think I’ll name the next one Elwood. Although my wife tells me no more…HA!

435 Peter Hernandez December 19, 2012 at 8:22 am

Named my dog Simba, as a compromise (read: bloody fist fight) between my brother’s and I who each wanted to name him differently. One brother wanted “Tiger” for the irony, another “Snowball” because the dog was white and fluffy, and I wanted a boring ol name like “jake.”

I think Simba worked out really well actually.

436 Matt A December 19, 2012 at 8:30 am

Our dog is named Murph. As in Lt. Michael Murphy (Medal of Honor recipient) of the United States Navy. Figured I couldn’t go wrong naming mans best friend after a military hero.

437 Adam December 19, 2012 at 9:41 am

I’ve always been told that for training purposes that dog names should be two syllables and commands one. Since dogs don’t actually understand language it makes things less confusing.

Two favorite dog names that are still relevant: Strider and Brego.

438 Jacob M Jones December 19, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Husky – Kanoa (hawaiian name for a sled dog, it seems to work)
English Springer Spaniel – Abby Mae (traditional spaniel name)
German Shepherd – Gunner (special teams dynamo)
Lab – Fenway (obvious Red Sox fan)

439 Todd January 2, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Nothing wrong with a man having a maltese, they were originally bred for hunting rodents and other small varmints; many toy breeds were originally used as hunting dogs, it’s the ridiculous hairstyles that make these dogs seem unsuited for a man. Let the coat of a maltese, toy poodle, or havanese grow naturally and you have a shaggy looking hardy animal that can withstand the harsher elements. I grew up with a toy poodle and I saw that little dog take on full size breeds without hesitation. Don’t underestimate the tenacity of the smaller breeds.

440 Nick January 7, 2013 at 2:49 am

I have a sable colored German Shepherd I picked up from a pet store and she was the only one there. Her name is Addison but I call her Addi for short.

441 Bicycle Bill January 9, 2013 at 12:15 am

One corollary to the “old football player” rule:  If the player was an absolute, total bad-ass in his playing days who also stayed with the team for all (or most all) of his career, go with it.  A bulldog named “Nitschke”, “Butkus” or “Ditka”?  Epic win.

442 Yorkydee January 17, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I’ve named mine Diesel (Male), Dani (Female), Brio (Female), Peanut (Female), Nick (Male), Sam (Male), Guinness (Male), Ava (Female), and Turbo (Male, master of destruction).

443 jim January 23, 2013 at 11:12 pm

“SUDS” – Samuel Ulysses Dominic Smith – jet black lab – aka Sam, Sammy, Sammy Davis Jr, Uly, Ules, Useless (*always* followed by an apology), Dom, The Godfather, Mr Corleone, Smitty, Mr Smythe, the blacksmith, and last but best, my pal.

444 Doug P January 24, 2013 at 4:43 pm

The coolest dog name I ever came up with was D. O. G. Kind of pronounced “D’Oghee”. He was a Dalmatian, so he got a lot attention anyway. It was funny, little kids ALWAYS “got it” right off the bat. Comments like “Oh cool DOG – dog! That’s funny!” But adults almost never got it! “D.O.G.?? What does that mean in English?” Morons!

My current dog is named after a little Italian restaurant in Winthrop, MA my GF and I found while on vacation. It’s a real cozy fun place. The owner is from Morocco, and he named is place after his hometown there. When we got the dog, we were thinking of names and my GF said maybe something related to our New England trip? Something special about it? So I suggested it and she instantly fell in love with the name and I got major BF points on the spot! “Alia” is the dog’s name. She’s a Goldendoodle -Golden Retriever/ Standard Poodle (yeah, yeah, girly name for the breed, but she’s a COOL dog!) and the name fits her quite well.

445 Mark February 28, 2013 at 11:45 am

Great postings here!

I had the greatest dog, loved to 16 years old and was healthy as a horse, save his hind-end. His name was Darby, he was an Alaskan Husky and an incredible friend. Oddly enough, his name could not have suited him better. We put him down just about a year ago.

By bro-in-law has always named his dogs after booze… Windsor, Kamis(a wine), and now Stella(Artois) after the beer…
Anyway. Thought I’d add my two cents.

Still trying to pick one out for out Golden Retriever that we haven’t purchased yet…this spring. Kids can’t grow up without a dog around…and my wife and I can’t go on without one around either.
; )

446 Sai March 1, 2013 at 1:01 am

Words in other languages. My cat’s name is Laila which means night in Arabic and my dog’s name is Khusrow (medieval poet). It doesn’t work if you’re not ethnic though and it has to be something easy to pronounce.

447 FeatherBlade March 2, 2013 at 9:50 pm

We had a couple of collies, growing up. The male was Pellinor (as King, from the play “Camelot”) – Pelli, for short – and the female was Sheba (because one dog named after royalty wan’t enough)

448 erik March 16, 2013 at 7:05 am

I have a female husky called Misha

449 Meeto March 26, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Our late, much beloved Choc Lab was named Lizzy. Named after a Jane Austin heroine or a character in the video game ‘Rampage’, depending on who you ask, me or my sons. Our current dog, a dachshund, is named Crash. He’s a rescue dog who survived a hit & run accident & was abandoned at the scene.

450 Justin March 27, 2013 at 6:26 pm

I’ve got a old prison dog named Max Power

451 Kevin April 6, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I knew AOM was the place to come to while looking for dog names! Thinking of getting a golden very soon and was trying to think of a name. How about names after places? I was thinking “Tupper” after the Adirondack lake!

452 Mark April 9, 2013 at 5:11 pm

I’ve owned many irish setters over the years, and always named them after trees, as in willow, teak, cedar, holly, and maple. no offensive, and I always can say that they are all smarter than what they were named after.

453 weston April 16, 2013 at 8:41 am

I had a female pitbull i found in a dumpster. She was jet black so i first called her JET. I changed it a few days later to Jetta (so she could feel lady like). Best dog I have ever owned. Name suits her well since shes a runner.

454 Daniel April 29, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Odin

455 Ed Scott May 8, 2013 at 2:41 pm

We have two Cocker Spaniels in my family. A four year old called Echo after the nymph, and her daughter (my dog) called Tarka after the otter. Two of the best dogs ever!

456 Havish K. May 16, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I have a lab/pit bull mix that has a shimmering almost-all-black coat except for a couple of white, star-shaped marks on her chest, so I named her Astra. I agree that names from other languages or from myths, like Argos or Maera (both dogs from Greek myths), work when they are 1- or 2-syllables and not hard to pronounce.

457 Joel May 19, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I’ve decided on Reagan for a dog’s name. Pretty helpful article, don’t have a new dog, but if I ever get one, I know what it’s name will be… Lol

458 Scott August 3, 2013 at 9:42 pm

We have a Bernese Mountain Dog named “Chewbacca” We call him Chewie for short. Cool thing, when I yell at him, I sound like Han Solo.

459 Ben Gygax August 12, 2013 at 4:11 pm

My first dog was a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Don’t know what it is? Look it up. Named him Ranger.

460 JD August 17, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Ridgeback cross named Beans and a random mutt named Pickles.

461 James August 29, 2013 at 10:07 am

I just bought our boys a black lab mix and we named her ‘Layla’.

462 Mandy September 17, 2013 at 10:01 pm

My first dog I rescued is a black mouth cur dog, the owner at the time was calling her Ginger (due to the Brindle coat) I however decided to name her Rita. Yes after my favorite alcoholic beverage, but it also suits her feisty and unexpected side. However, my boyfriend and I got a puppy together (another rescue) a big ole Mutt puppy from the local shelter. I wanted to name him something extravagant, but my boyfriend wanted Jager. Now at first I was kind of pessimistic, however our little Jager is just a bundle of energy. Dark brown and smooth (just like Jager itself) at jumping our 5 foot fence. Also, at one point I had a puppy for a few days, named her Shiva after the Hindu goddess. I think i am 2-1 on my boyfriend for creative pooch names. :)

463 Chris October 14, 2013 at 6:46 am

My dog, a chocolate lab, has the name Baci. The name of an Italian chocolate.

464 Krissy October 24, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Our dog’s name is Murphy, after Murphy’s Irish Stout. He’s an Australian Cattle Dog, so originally I wanted some kind of Irish name, but they all sounded hokey. Our neighbors have black lab mixes named Porter and Stout. Our other neighbor had a pig named Guiness once. So we like beer names :)

465 Cameron November 9, 2013 at 1:29 am

I have a German Shepherd named Mufasa (Lion King) and I love it, and i don’t think many people think to name their dog after a lion. What do y’all think?

466 Spike November 19, 2013 at 12:13 am

Thinking that the name Jet might work for a black dog, I’m not 100% sure though.

467 Wanderer December 3, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I have a German Shepherd/Lab mix female named Kannon “La Segunda” due to my first dog’s name being Kannon. My other dog, a male hound/lab mix, is named Wedge after, of course, Wedge Antilles.

468 Jon December 7, 2013 at 7:54 am

My best dog-name was a dog I named Banjo. He was a little mutt and it somehow fit him perfectly.

The best pet name I gave was for my ferret. She was a female, a runt, AND albino, so she was much tinier than the typical ferret.

I named her Trixie, and it was a perfect name for my playful and sweet little girl.

469 Von December 17, 2013 at 10:59 pm

I named my girl Scout, after Scout from To Kill a Mockingbird.

470 lexy December 18, 2013 at 9:31 am

Love this article!
an addendum to 14) my neighbour named their shorkie Mocha, based on his lovely colouring. His puppy fur grew out, he got a haircut, and he is more of a ‘white hot chocolate’ now if we’re sticking with drink-colours.
My (male) dog is named Gwynne, for Gwynne Dyer, the journalist. rule 16) if you name a dog something that sounds like it could be a boy or a girl, try not to get angry when people call him a ‘such a pretty girl’ … or, in my case, ‘gwen’, ‘win’, or ‘quinn’.

471 Sid December 18, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I got a black lab/husky mix and his name is Carlton, or Carl, for short. In my opinion it fits him perfectly and is a great name. People of my generation picture Carlton from Fresh Prince. People from older generations relate it to Carlton the doorman. It gives people a small laugh when they hear it. I think people should choose something unique when it comes to dog names, instead of classic names like Spot, Buddy, etc. Remember, choose something that you won’t be embarrassed yelling in public or in a dog park. I also recommend sitting on a name you like to see if it sticks – don’t spend a day to think about it. Instead, take a week or so after knowing what your dog looks like. That’s my two cents.

472 Arturo December 18, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I named my dog Fouché, after the notorious French politician, and nobody seems to know whom the name refers to, but I like it all the same. It’s perfect to me.

473 dp454 December 22, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I once had a huge doberman named Nietzsche. Yes, it was awesome.

474 Vaclav D January 20, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Hannibal it will be. Famous name for little puppy

475 Sylvia H February 3, 2014 at 12:32 am

I always come up with unique namez for my pets. Here are some examples. Had a wolf dog i named Taaka after the vodka, other dog names I’ve came up with are: Kade, Hex (jonah hex), fifty, Skylar, Cole, prince, tyson, skeeter, lacy, coco, and love. Currently i have a blue heeler male puppy named Cam after Cam Newton. I love Auburn :) and i have a blue eyed german shepherd i named Dallas. Like the cowboys cuz my husband loves dallas cowboys. (Ima female btw) lol. I have two cats.. my flame point white siamese with blue eyes male is charmz and my oter gray cat is lucky. :)

476 Chrissy March 9, 2014 at 11:41 pm

Awesome article I agree you need to take time to come up with a perfect name for your best friend..
I had two big dogs one tan coloured mongrel who I love to bits still called Crypt (as in the Crypt Keeper) and the other was an American Bulldog named Dozer (as in Bull Dozer). It took me ages to come up with those but they suited my dogs to a tee. Now to come up with a girl name for a mini poodle x jack russle any suggestions?

477 Sam_the_ma'am March 20, 2014 at 10:56 pm

My husband and I just adopted a lab x pit, and named her Guinness. She’s dark and stout, but still sweet, so she’s working’ it!

478 John March 31, 2014 at 10:36 am

Thank you for writing this. Mine used it to help me name my son

479 Victoria April 16, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Jenna, my beautiful German Shepherd mix. My kids named her after the female dog in “Balto’. It suits her well.