Many a man will occasionally smoke a cigar, be it during a round of golf, a wedding, or celebrating the birth of a child; but not many men know how to prepare, light, and smoke a cigar in such a way that truly gets the best flavor from the tobacco in your hand.
Use the guide above to enjoy and get the most out of every stogie you light up.
- Cut the cigar. Using a cutter, slice just the cap off the cigar. Most men cut too much; shoot for 1/8th of an inch.
- Toast the foot. Holding the cigar at a 45-degree angle, apply heat to the foot of the cigar while rotating a few times in order to warm the tobacco for easier lighting.
- Light the cigar. Without letting the flame actually touch the cigar, gently putt a few times (without inhaling) until you feel the smoke in your mouth.
- Mask sure it’s evenly lit. Look at the foot of the cigar and lightly blow on it to ensure it’s evenly lit. You want the entire end glowing; re-light until this is achieved or else the cigar will burn unevenly.
- Smoke and enjoy. To smoke without inhaling, draw in through your mouth as if you’re sucking on a straw. Close off your nasal passage and puff every 30-60 seconds.
- Handle your ash. Let the ash grow to about an inch before tapping off. No smashing the cigar in the tray; a gentle tap along the edge will do.
Illustration by Ted SlampyakTags: Vices