Football is often seen as an incubator of rough and wild masculinity. But one former NFL lineman, turned church minister, turned high school football coach, sees football as a platform to teach young men how to be both tough and tender. My guest today on the podcast spent a season with this sage coach and walked away having learned what it really means to be a man, as well as built a stronger relationship with his father. His name is Jeffrey Marx and his Pulitzer Prize-winning book is Season of Life: A Football Star, a Boy, a Journey to Manhood.
Today on the show, Jeffrey talks about his relationship with retired NFL athlete and now minister and high school football coach Joe Ehrmann. Jeff begins by sharing what he learned from Joe and other NFL players about what it means to be a man during his stint as a ballboy for the Baltimore Colts in the 1970s. He then shares how Joe went from a party animal to an inner-city minister who focused on helping young men. We then discuss what Joe sees as the lies of masculinity in the popular culture and how they need to be replaced with strategic masculinity.
We end our conversation talking about how coaching high school football ties into Joe’s ministry to men and how Joe’s philosophy on masculinity helped Jeffrey draw closer to his father.
Lots of great insights on this show, so be sure to take notes!
- The long career of Joe Ehrmann, from football star to coach
- What Jeffrey Marx learned about manliness by being a Baltimore Colts ballboy
- How the death of Joe’s brother affected his life
- Why Joe focuses on young men in his inner city work
- The 3 lies of false masculinity
- The 2 tiers of true and strategic masculinity
- How does Joe’s high school coaching career connect all these ideas?
- The best context for teaching teenage boys the tenets of manhood
- Why the head and the heart need to be connected in men
- The weirdest thing Jeffrey has ever seen on a high school sports team
- The origin and meaning of the word “coach”
- How focusing on character also happens to create a good football team
- How reporting on this story helped Jeffrey’s relationship with his own father
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- Joe Ehrmann
- My podcast with Mark Edmundson about why football still matters
- Building Men for Others
- AoM’s “3 Man Killers” series
- Love Is All You Need
- My podcast with William Damon about how to find your life’s purpose
- Tips for Successfully Coaching a Youth Sports Team
- Why You Should Write a Letter to Your Father
- Questions for My Father (book of questions to ask your dad that Jeffrey mentioned in the podcast)
If you played football as a young man, you’re likely going to resonate with Season of Life. Even if you didn’t play, there’s a lot you can learn on how to mentor young men into mature masculinity from the life of Joe Ehrmann.
Connect With Jeffrey Marx
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Recorded on ClearCast.io.
Read the Transcript
Last updated: May 17, 2017