AoM Month of Sandwiches Day #2: The Bleu Cheese & Teriyaki Meatball

by Jeremy Anderberg on April 2, 2013 · 14 comments

in Cooking, Food & Drink, Travel & Leisure

meatball7

Welcome to Day #2 of the AoM sandwich project. Last month we asked readers for their best sandwich recommendations. Out of 483 submissions, we picked 20 to highlight here on the site each weekday during the month of April. At the end, we’ll publish all the entries into an epic man-sandwich cookbook. Enjoy.

Today’s Sandwich: The Bleu Cheese & Teriyaki Meatball by Ben

When I saw this entry I didn’t even have to think about whether this would make my cut. I knew it would. Meatballs, two kinds of cheeses, an English muffin. It combines all my favorite things! Can it live up to the hype I’ve created, though?

The Ingredients

meatball1

• English muffin
  • Bleu cheese dressing
  • Swiss cheese
  • Teriyaki meatballs (couldn’t find pre-teriyaki-flavored ones as Ben recommended, so I bought meatballs and sauce and mixed them together)

Step 1: Toast and Schmear the Muffin with Dressing

meatball3

Toast the English muffin and “give each side a thorough schmear” with the bleu cheese dressing.

Step 2: Get the Meatballs Ready

meatball4

I believe Ben used some leftover teriyaki meatballs for his creation, but I didn’t have that convenience. I mixed together some cooked (in the microwave) beef meatballs with a good helping of teriyaki sauce. Did the job just fine, if I don’t say so myself.

Step 3: Put Meatballs on Muffin

meatball5

Place meatballs onto the muffin. I made two sandwiches, mainly because I was hungry. Ben suggested 4-5 per sandwich, and that’s exactly what I did. He also suggested cutting them in half, but they were small and tender enough that I figured I would be alright.

Step 4: Add Swiss and Top

meatball6

Add a slice of Swiss cheese to the top, let it melt for a few seconds, and then top with the other half of your muffin.

Step 5: Enjoy!

meatball7

Taster’s Thoughts

This was an excellent sandwich, overall. The meatball/bleu cheese combo was fantastic, but it was really the teriyaki flavor that stole the show. And in a good way. I love teriyaki, so it was perfect. If I had to change anything, I might use a croissant to better catch the juices, and I might use real, crumbly bleu cheese instead of dressing. What a great jumping off point for combining flavors though! Thanks, Ben!

1 Jeff April 2, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Oh my god yes!

2 Dan W. April 2, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Awesome. Making it bigger would be perfect.

3 Euan T. April 2, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Oh goodness, this sounds and looks amazing. Definitely a must try.

4 Kevan April 2, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Don’t get me wrong, I love me some quick-and-dirty sandwiches, but this recipe looks like something on the Kraft website – frozen meatballs and salad dressing… boring!

That said, the teriyaki-meatball-swiss combination does sound tantalizing and fresh!

A homemade blue cheese aioli takes all of three minutes to whip up from scratch with a fork (thirty seconds if you use mayonnaise), and tastes way better, especially if you throw in some garlic and green onion.

Really enjoying this theme so far, but let’s see some sammies with a bit more flair!

5 Ben April 2, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Yeah! Thanks for giving it a try. Glad you enjoyed it too.

Man, I could go for one right now.

6 Selleck April 2, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Will some classical sandwiches be coming? These sound alright but having a real submarine sandwich or some Cubans would be nice.

7 Chris G. April 2, 2013 at 8:32 pm

My stomach and I fully support this new series of Month of Sandwiches of the Day.

8 Joe Fahnestock April 2, 2013 at 8:52 pm

I could see this one going as a dagwood.

9 JeffC April 2, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I agree this is a bit “canned”. Using real bleu cheese and making up the lost wetness with a little extra teriyaki sauce are needed upgrades. Sounds tasty, as long as the muffin is not under-toasted & gets soft— yuk.

10 Max Power April 3, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Although this particular sandwich sounds a bit gross (more like a hangover meal), I LOVE this series. More, please!

11 Cerebralcow April 3, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I love the way you’re doing these with a lot of pictures. especially the picture of all the ingredients in store bought form. I’m making an evernote note with a link to each of the articles and a picture of the ingredients and the finished sandwich. This one looks really good.

12 Grayson S. April 5, 2013 at 1:59 am

I gave the sandwich a try just now. Its an easy and tasty late night snack!

13 Todd April 5, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Talk about stoner food! What’s next, a potato chip and caviar panini?

14 John G April 20, 2013 at 6:21 am

Sounds pretty good. I love trying teriyaki in new recipes. I prefer to make my own teriyaki sauce though so I can tweak the ratios based on what I’m using the sauce with. Teriyaki sauce is simply a mixture of soy sauce, honey, and ginger. You can adjust the balance of these ingredients to make your teriyaki sauce sweeter (more honey), saltier (more soy sauce) or add more ginger if you like. Different balances in the ingredients of teriyaki can better complement the recipes in which you use the teriyaki sauce.