A Man’s Guide to the Scarf: How and Why to Wear One, and 7 Ways to Tie Yours

by Antonio on February 23, 2012 · 84 comments

in Accessories, Dress & Grooming

Most men’s scarves are approximately 10 inches wide, 70 inches long, and made from either a solid or patterned cut of cloth designed to wrap around the neck.

In a nutshell, a scarf is a simple rectangle of fabric.

Yet most men are baffled as to how to properly wear one, and worse, many feel the wearing of a scarf is somehow effeminate.

The purpose of this article is to tackle these problems head on.

1st – Wearing a scarf isn’t difficult.  In this article I’ll lay out a few rules and help you understand the basics of choosing the right one for your needs.

The wearing of scarves by men was popularized by its adoption by the aviators in both World Wars, who used the scarf for warmth and to prevent chafing as they scanned the sky for enemy planes.

2nd – Scarves are manly.  They have been a staple in men’s wardrobes for over 2000 years, with the world’s militaries using them as rank insignia and unit designators.  From the Terracotta Warriors of China to modern-day desert military units, we see scarves used because they provide value in inclement weather.  Look at photos of the world’s greatest military aviators or soldiers fighting in the Battle of the Bulge, and you’ll see lots of scarves, and nary a girly man in sight.

soldier scarf

Why Wear A Scarf?

Function - Simply put, scarves do an excellent job of protecting a man’s neck.  A thick wool scarf can keep your neck warm on a cold Wisconsin morning, or a lightweight linen scarf can protect your neck from the sun and sand when crossing the Sahara.

Flair - Scarves can add a strong element of style, especially when they introduce color to an otherwise bland outfit. As long as it doesn’t compromise functionality, few will question even a brightly colored piece of cashmere that brightens up a banker’s charcoal overcoat and watch cap.   However, in less functional roles (such as wearing a light-weight scarf indoors in lieu of a necktie) the man doing so needs to be very comfortable in his own personal style.  It’s also a good rule of thumb to keep the rest of the outfit simple so it isn’t competing with the scarf for attention.

Scarf Build Type

There are a lot of terms out there – bandana scarves, head scarves, square scarves, circle scarves, skinny scarves, and so on.  Let’s keep it simple.  You want your scarves to be rectangle and be made from a material that suits your needs.

Scarf Width & Length – Width should be from 6 to 14 inches, length from 50 to 90 inches, although an average height man wants a scarf at least 60 inches and a larger man should look for one in the 70 inch range.

Material – Scarves are typically made from either wool, cashmere, angora, cotton, linen, silk, synthetic materials, or a combination.  Weave is very important as bulky scarves made from thick yarns require simple knots and are not as practical.

For winter scarves, stick with napped fabrics with a soft surface–you can’t go wrong with wool or cashmere.  If you’re looking for a hot weather protective scarf–linen and lightweight cotton are great as are some synthetics designed specifically for this purpose.

Types-of-scarves

Thank you http://www.hommedelicacy.com for the images of four masculine scarves.

Determining What Sex The Scarf Is Designed For

Most scarves aren’t made for men–we are a very small part of the market and as such you may find a scarf in the menswear sale rack that is questionable.  And unless you’re Steven Tyler, you should stay away from feminine-looking scarves.  Here is how to spot a scarf designed for your wife:

• Any scarf in an animal print, bright pink, juicy magenta, electric blue, salsa picante, fresh tulip…..I think you get the point.
  • Anything that comes with a pin or is advertised to be worn with a scarf pin.  Men do not wear scarf pins.
  • Airy, see-through, super-lightweight scarves that could not possibly provide any function (ok, maybe they could act as a tourniquet) and are 100% fashion pieces.
  • Large knitted scarves or scarves that could double as a blanket.
  • Excessive fringes — some tassels in the same color as the scarf is fine, but steer clear of multi-colored pom-pom tips.
  • Elaborately beaded scarves, scarves with sequins, shiny metal trinkets, or scarves with embroidered images of birds, flowers, etc.

How to Tie a Scarf

General Rules

1. Keep it simple – only tie knots you are comfortable wearing–confidence is everything.
  2. Scarf length & thickness can limit knot style options.
  3. A scarf isn’t a necktie–keep it loose.
  4. Function first–fashion second.  Unless you’re a rock star or The Style Blogger.  Dan knows how to rock a scarf!

7 Ways to Tie a Scarf

In the video below, I cover seven ways to tie a scarf. And in addition to the basic directions in this section, most of the “knots” also have indvidual how-to videos if you want to jump to the directions for a particular one.

The Drape, or The Simplest Way To Wear A Scarf

Scarf-Drape

Simply drape the scarf over the neck and the front of your chest under your overcoat.  No actual tying happens in this one, so it’s a loose way of wearing a scarf meant more for ornamentation than actual warmth.  It works well if you’re wearing a suit or sports jacket with a deep V-shaped front.  This is the classic lawyer or businessman’s way of adding a scarf to a suit and tie ensemble.

Overhand Knot (or Ascot)

One of the simplest scarf knots you can learn and wear.  The only complication is you have to determine how low or high to wear it. Normally it hangs a bit looser around the neck than other knots/wraps, so this style is more show than function.

Ascot-scarf-knot

How to tie it: Take the scarf and lay it over your shoulders. Take both ends of the scarf, and tie them “over-and-under,” as if you were starting to do up a giant pair of shoelaces.   Adjust the front to be a bit smooth and tighten closer to the neck as desired.

The Fake Knot

The fake knot looks more elaborate than it is.  As it’s name indicates, it uses a bit of deception to achieve the desired look.  This knot shows up best with a patterned scarf or a scarf with a thicker weave.  You can use a medium length scarf here without a problem.

Fake-knot-scarf

How to tie it: Hang the scarf around your neck with one end being twice as long as the other.  Tie a loose over-hand knot near the end of the shorter side, leaving about 12-18 inches on the end.  Tug the knot apart slightly and slip the other end straight through and tighten to the desired length.

The Once Round

A simple tie that is actually one of my favorites.  It does a great job keeping my neck warm and can be used with medium length to long scarves.

Onceover-picture

How to tie it: Take the scarf and wrap it once around your neck, leaving two ends dangling in the front.

The Twice Round

A cold-weather variant of the once round, the twice around scarf tying technique is a great choice for when you have a really long and thin scarf and the weather calls for the warmest wrap you can muster.  I prefer my scarves to be at least 72 inches long for this one.

Double-wrap-around

How to tie it: Wrap your long scarf twice around your neck, leaving two short ends hanging in the front.

The “Parisian” or French or European Knot

Also called “slip” or just “simple” style.  This is fast and easy to tie and creates a large, warm knot right at the collar of a coat or jacket, making it a good wind-stopper.  It requires a longer scarf unless you’re using a thinner fabric such as silk.  Bulky scarves do not work well as the end knot can appear too large.

Parisan-knot

How to tie it:  Fold the scarf in half at the middle so that the ends touch and hold the doubled-over bend in one hand while passing the loose ends around the back of your neck with the other.  Tuck the ends through the bend and pull snug.  Adjust as needed.

___________________________

Written by Antonio Centeno
Grab my Free 47 Page Ebook on Men’s Style
or watch my 180+ Men’s Style Videos

1 Christopher Wrinn February 23, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I never doubted scarves could be manly. Case in point, my scarf wearing role model: http://danielrfaust.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/4.jpg?w=279&h=300

2 Bushman February 23, 2012 at 8:25 pm

You forgot to mention crossing it in the front of your coat. But great article overall. Now where did I put that scarf?

3 Bushman February 23, 2012 at 8:25 pm

4 Bushman96 February 23, 2012 at 8:27 pm

5 Okierover February 23, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I bought a shemagh and I like the twice around best. It covers the neck nicely and I look like one of those guys on the Rat Patrol.

6 Mike February 23, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I have one, but will only wear it hunting to keep warm in the deer blind. It’s too bad, because it’s warm and actually looks nice. I get a bit paranoid having a potential noose around my neck in the general public. Irrational, I know.

7 jsallison February 23, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Fold in half lengthwise and wrap once around the neck, crossing in front, not tied or knotted. Close the coat over it to keep it in place. Does a fine job of stopping any draftiness and actually helped make a field jacket seem warm, a neat trick on foot patrol on the Inner German Border in February. Or while rattling down the autobahn standing up in the hatch.

8 Stefan February 23, 2012 at 8:54 pm

My girlfriend made me a 4th Doctor scarf for Christmas. Well, she finally finished it by Valentine’s Day!

It measures 8 in. wide, 128 in. long. I usually wear it once-round so it doesn’t drag on the floor!

9 Chris February 23, 2012 at 9:10 pm

No scarf pin? Granted they can be tacky, but as a Midshipman at the Naval Academy, we were required to wear a small, golden anchor as a scarf pin holding the white scarf together underneath our overcoat at the Army-Navy game… Which we won. Go Navy! Beat Army! Good article! Thanks!

10 Antonio Centeno February 23, 2012 at 9:23 pm

@Chris – Military uniforms are an exception; everything discussed here is civilian dress! – Antonio

11 Carl February 23, 2012 at 9:27 pm

My parter is currently knitting me a Doctor Who scarf. That’s a manly scarf. Should have it by next winter.

12 Michael February 23, 2012 at 9:49 pm

This showed up on my Facebook wall the day after I bought my first scarf

13 tim February 23, 2012 at 9:53 pm

good article. iused to wear one in Indiana just once around with tail hanging in back. anyway, of subject, the gentlemen in the top picture not wearing a scarf, what is his side arm. WWII would seem to be 1911 or maybe browning hi power but that does not look like such. walther of some sort?

tim

14 Lucas February 23, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Funny this should be posted now. My mom just made me a scarf recently, and I’ve been using the Parisian knot mainly. Great article, though.

15 Hristo February 23, 2012 at 10:06 pm

I think its worth noting that wearing a scarf is only manly where the weather gets cold or hot (in the case for deserts) enough to warrant wearing it. Where I live, one would look like kind of a sissy or one with an odd taste in fashion for wearing one, not because scarves are unmanly but because it only gets down to about 25 at the lowest in the winter time, and it only gets that cold for a few weeks out of the year, and that’s not really cold enough that one would genuinely need a scarf

16 Hristo February 23, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I think its worth noting that wearing a scarf is only manly where the weather gets cold or hot (in the case for deserts) enough to warrant wearing it. Where I live, one would look like kind of a sissy or one with an odd taste in fashion for wearing one, not because scarves are unmanly but because it only gets down to about 25 at the lowest in the winter time, and that’s not really cold enough that one would need one.

17 Andrew February 23, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Daniel Craig wore the heck out of the Parisian knot in “Dragon Tattoo.”

18 Brian February 23, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Though I disagree with his attitude in general, I do like the Magnificent Bastard’s guide to scarf wearing: http://www.magnificentbastard.com/features/7-ways-to-tie-a-scarf

19 Jonathan Mortensen February 23, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Now I know the names of the knots I use, I will have to use the fake knot tomorrow, its supposed to be windy. Excellent article.

20 Jim Schmidt February 23, 2012 at 10:40 pm

And done in one. I was hoping the Doctor would show up here. That’s the scarf I long for; in the meantime, I’ll just have to make do with a normal sized scarf :)

21 Mark Wood February 23, 2012 at 10:46 pm

It is worth noting that scarfs were not worn by aviators for warmth but to protect their neck from chaffing against their leather collars as they scanned the sky. Silk was chosen instead of wool for its light properties and it looked good too.

22 Tugrul February 23, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Noes! :o The Parisian way makes for terrible presentation. How do I submit an improvement on that one?

The other 6 are great. Now I can teach them to my customers.

23 Jamie February 23, 2012 at 11:58 pm

If the Parisian makes for terrible presentation (for a medium length scarf) what improvements are there to be made?

I started out wearing my scarves once around (well, 3/4 around I suppose) then once around, then when it got warmer folding it in half length wise and draping it without tying, then one day it got windy so I just slipped one end through and pulled it taught like a necktie, and the ends could almost reach my waist.
(and I tuck the ends under my leather jacket most of the time, then zip it up 3/4 of the way)

I think this is the easiest and most casual look that honestly *stays put the best* – once arounds come lose, fall off, drag on the ground, etc.

After experimenting, I will always wear my scarves like that – Though I never knew that there were official methods of scarf wearing – now I know I didn’t make up a wrong way to wear mine!

Thanks for the article!

24 Kent February 24, 2012 at 12:51 am

I have a doctor who length scarf, though the design is very different. It was 13 feet long last I checked, but it has probably stretched out longer from use. Bright orange and black, striped down the length. The color really pops against my charcoal black greatcoat. The Parisian works well, but otherwise it can only be worn in the Twice Around style.

25 Eric February 24, 2012 at 1:01 am

Hi Antonio,

So what would a preferred knot be for an aviator style scarf so one end would be left to wave in the slipstream of an open cockpit aircraft? Like a WWI barnstormer?

Thanks!

26 Michael Alexander Cichon February 24, 2012 at 2:17 am

The second picture with the aviators…center back. How is his scarf tied?

27 Kane February 24, 2012 at 2:47 am

I wear an OD Green scarf in uniform all the time. It’s warmer than the standard-issue neck gaiter and you can wrap your face with it and throw the ACH on top to keep it together in cold weather, such as the day I was driving from Yongsan to Casey, and our gunner’s hatch wouldn’t close.

28 KP February 24, 2012 at 6:05 am

Not sure I agree that wearing a knitted scarf is effeminate – maybe the colour or pattern but not the fact that it’s knitted. A knitted scarf can work very well in a Parisian knot when worn with a parka

29 Andrew February 24, 2012 at 6:21 am

Thanks for the post. What about the problem of what else to wear with the scarf. Like this post (http://www.dailyvowelmovements.com/2011/07/scarfs-and-t-shirts.html)
which ponders whether it is socially acceptable to wear a scarf and a t-shirt?

30 egwscheid February 24, 2012 at 8:58 am

i’m sorry but i am losing faith in the art of manliness. Men shouldn’t wear scarves, especially with the way they are worn today by the most unmanly, people.

31 Brian February 24, 2012 at 9:31 am

A shemagh, or a solid tan or black scarf in the Euro knot works well at keeping your face and neck from freezing in the desert in winter, and keeps the sand out when the storms start up.

32 Chad Smith February 24, 2012 at 9:55 am

@Mark Wood, it was indeed mentioned about chaffing.
Up here in northern Alberta, a scarf comes in handy as often as a pair of leather gloves. I am excited for the temp to drop again so I can try out the fake knot!

33 Richard Williams February 24, 2012 at 10:19 am

I cross mine under my coat. Tying it means it has to be untied at some point. Cumbersome. Crossing it serves the same purpose with simplicity. Simplify, simplify, simplify.

34 CameronSS February 24, 2012 at 11:10 am

I was given a white silk scarf the day I soloed. I don’t fly an open-cockpit airplane (not anymore, the guy sold it :( ), but I use it for the same purpose on my bike. Tightly wrapped under the collar of my biking jacket keeps my neck warm while also keeping the collar from chafing my neck while watching for the next bogey Hyundai that hopes to make ace by running a stopsign in front of me…

35 MtnMatt February 24, 2012 at 12:02 pm

This winter I started wearing on old military wool scarf, and it does a good job keeping my neck warm & blocking drafts from coming in the front of my coat. My only complaint is that it is a bit short to make a full wrap and still have enough to fully fill the neck opening.

Only so far as I can speak for myself, I have to disagree about scarves being “unmanly”. I feel that clothing that serves its intended purpose (protecting the wearer from the weather) is perfectly “manly”. Then again, my choice of cold weather clothing is based entirely on its warmth & wind blocking value. Most of it is wool, bulky, old, and about as far as one can get from what is considered “fashionable”, but it keeps me warm. To me, that is all that matters.

36 Tim Hardy February 24, 2012 at 2:45 pm

The white silk scarf takes some carrying off but looks superb when worn with best black tie and overcoat. Trouble is you need to be ‘seen’ on arrival and departure! I would love a silk scarf in Navy with white/cream polka dot – anyone know where please?

37 Benjamin February 24, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I read quite a few articles here on AOM and it never fails to make me laugh that there are usually at least a few people decrying the manliness, or lack thereof, of this or that. Wearing a scarf is neither manly nor unmanly. I like these fashion related articles but manliness isn’t inherent in any of them. Manliness isn’t going to suddenly appear because one wears a scarf or likewise be lost for the same reason. For a lot (most) things there isn’t only one way to do things so it seems misguided to say “X is or isn’t manly”.

However, there is something that is always unmanly: being stuck in one’s perspective. And if anyone makes fun of my scarf then I will kick your butt while I am wearing it. (Just kidding – I don’t find violence manly)

38 Former Soldier February 24, 2012 at 6:55 pm

To the guy who said he is losing faith in AoM because of this article is unfortunately someone who has no idea what he is talking about. Scarves are essential when you’re out in the bush for weeks on end, and don’t have the luxury of ducking into a warm building.

39 Hal February 24, 2012 at 7:14 pm

A scarf is indispensable during deer season. You need all the warmth you can get, and with a scarf, you can put the warmth right where you need it.

That, and a proper overcoat just doesn’t look right without a scarf.

40 Al February 24, 2012 at 7:21 pm

They’ve managed to come close to the previous low, but as stupid as a scarf is, at least they’re better than pocket squares.

Try wearing a coat, and a hat if it’s bitter cold. Scarves, never needed one, but I’ve found hundreds on the ground. Anything that people lose all the time is as unmanly as it gets.

41 jsallison February 24, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Guess it’s a good thing I don’t give a flying flip what some yop on the internet thinks is or isn’t manly. As a retired 20yr cavalry noncom I’ll take my own counsel on the subject, thenkyewveddymuch.

Probably not very manly to watch Dora on YouTube with my 4yo granddaughter in my lap, either. I’ll leave it at that since this is a family friendly site, of sorts.

42 Joe February 24, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Scarves can be both very practical and fashionable, but for cold weather hunting/camping/motorcyling ect, I really prefer a nice buff. Here’s my favorite by far:

http://reviews.rei.com/review/789718/Buff-Wool-Buff (I’m in no way affiliated with REI, and think they can be pricey.)

I traveled by motorcyle from the US to the bottom of South America, and this was useful for keeping dust out of my mouth, insects and rocks from hitting my neck, and did a good job keeping me warm. I soaked when in the tropics, and it was cool and protected my neck. I wear it for camping, fishing, hunting, and it’s one of my favorite pieces of ‘adventure’ clothing.

For around town… thanks for the helpful article!

43 NathanH February 24, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Great article, but it would’ve been cool to have it at the beginning of winter. Eh, I’ll probably just look it up again next year.

44 Noah February 25, 2012 at 12:46 am

Very relevant, as a friend and I had a conversation about the masculinity of scarves just the other day. Very good article, now I just need a scarf…

45 Phil February 25, 2012 at 9:24 am

My scarves get overlapped and tucked under my jacket rather than tied.

Not a fan of a long cloth around my neck.

46 Sam February 25, 2012 at 3:35 pm

scarves look great when paired with a sonic screwdriver and police box

47 cutandbrogue February 25, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I usually just stick to the european knot since it’s simple and gives the most coverage. The fake knot just seems unnecessary.

48 Hal February 25, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Don’t diss the pocket square. Ever.

49 MomOfFour February 25, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I never used scarves cuz I never knew how to wear them!! Who knew I would learn from an article written for men? Loved it! Thanks! Cant wait to go get one and experiment!

50 Mike February 26, 2012 at 10:52 am

If it is chilly out, chances are you will see me wearing a scarf. It is unfortunate that the military has gone away from the wear of scarves. There are many a brisk morning that I wish I had one. Instead they’ve been replaced with “neck gaiters” which don’t the job as well in my opinion.

51 Roach February 26, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Benedict Cumberbatch wore the hell out of a scarf with the Parisian knot in the BBC’s recent modern version of Sherlock Holmes.

As someone else mentioned, I really like Buff’s merino wool version. It keeps my neck and face warm when I need it, and can also be repurposed as a hat or some combination thereof. Not quite as stylish as a scarf, but very useful.

52 Derek February 26, 2012 at 4:22 pm

People say I look like a terrorist or a babushka when I wear my scarf. I don’t care, I’m warm. One end sits on my chest, travels up over my head and across my nose and mouth, then around my neck to hang on the other side of my chest. Then my hood goes up to secure it.

There is a risk that it’ll ride up from my nose to cover my eye, but it’s just silk, so I can see through it.

53 Herman Gauche February 28, 2012 at 4:32 am

For many years now i have been wearing scarfs. I think its getting use to and then its kinda addictive. i cant miss one when walking in a crowd of people. wonder what they think of me ???? Anyways if not for keeping you warm its the best thing to have on a plain when you travel as much as i do …… and not having a pillow nearby

54 Nick February 28, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I know it’s common and “overdone” but a Burberry scarf is a great start. They’re good quality, look classy, and never go out of style. Definitely worth the investment, IMO.

There’s a reason why they’ve been a fashion staple for so long.

55 Q February 28, 2012 at 10:52 pm

Grew up in the Great Basin, spent a few years ranchin’ after highschool. “Scarf” always brings this to mind. Had nice printed ones for dress and solids for work. They’re not really modern or sporty but hell, that’s the what we wore and when it gets cold I still wear mine at work (powerline construction): http://cowboywildrags.com/

56 Mike_M March 6, 2012 at 8:03 pm

An excellent scarf is the cotton mesh sniper veil.

57 Mike_M March 6, 2012 at 8:11 pm
58 5 in 1 Air Sofa N Bed March 7, 2012 at 3:25 am

Awesome article, all masculinity scarves style are great. want some thing more. can you please share with us.

59 Sven Raphael Schneider March 13, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Good overview, though I am missing the silk scarves Antonio!

60 Mask IP March 15, 2012 at 11:42 am

Never much of a fan of the European tuck style – too pompous in my opinion. BTW is that Paul Newman in the first photo?

61 Amy March 17, 2012 at 8:16 am

In the fake knot section you say, “…As it’s name indicates…” It’s means it is…should be ITS. :)

62 Amy March 17, 2012 at 8:17 am

63 baw March 21, 2012 at 10:58 am

If you or a companion get hurt, a scarf is useful as a temporary bandage or sling.

64 Tye September 30, 2012 at 4:01 pm

My dad is part of a dying tradition, I like to refer it as the Last of the Great American Cowboys. He’s worn a silk rag (a 1.5′x1.5′ square folded into a triangle) for most of his life. For the last 20 years or so, his primary occupation has been as a farrier (or horse-shoer in layman’s terms), probably one of the most gritty jobs in existence. Some people have given him crap over his “scarf,” including his own dad, but it hasn’t deterred him. It keeps the sun off of his neck in summer and he can pull it over his face whenever he’s out on a cold winter’s night (wet silk won’t freeze). Its just something he’s done for a long time, and he’s my testimony to how men still can wear scarves.

65 Nail 17 December 8, 2012 at 11:09 am

I was a Forward Air Controller (FAC) during the Vienam War. My unit was called The Nails, and us pilots wore a pink and purple scarf. I never did find out what was the origin of these colors, but we were definetely not a feminine outfit. My scarf was lost in a house fire. I had hoped to wear it when I was interred!

66 wes December 23, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Where can I get the scarf that dapper mannequin is sporting though out this post?

67 Ed January 4, 2013 at 8:46 am

I’ve worn a scarf under my western style hat in a similar way as Derek (post #52 above) when I’m out in the cold fishing or doing chores for a few years now. The brim of the hat keeps rain, snow, and sun glare off my glasses and the scarf keeps my head/neck warm. I really don’t give a whip if anyone thinks it’s stylish or not, it works great!

68 Alan January 4, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Four weeks after open heart surgery and walking daily for exercise in the cold I decided it was time to consider adding a scarf with my vest and coat…some helpful ideas. And, if I can look good while keeping warm, why not? Thanks.

69 Adam January 10, 2013 at 11:28 pm

wonderfully written article, hope it helps revive the tradition of men wearing scarves.

70 Seabeans January 14, 2013 at 7:51 am

If the idea that a scarf will make you seem ‘unmanly’ keeps you from wearing one, well……. Meanwhile , don’t forget true mobius scarves. The higher math should make them ‘manly’ enough for you and they are the simplist of all scarves to wear. Also the most compliment receiving. No knots, no fringe, no loose ends. Perfect for business, great for skiing or other outdoor persuits.

71 Gianni January 16, 2013 at 5:05 am

Pffft wearing scarves purely for warmth… How foolish. I’ll be the one laughing when I rock a scarf and a t-shirt on the beach.

72 Mark Wiz January 23, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Great article! I’m 61, and back in the early 70s, we used to wear a long scarf threaded through the epaulet of our winter coats. Hey, you had to be there!
But I think a scarf makes for a terrific practical accessory in cold weather. The “bit of color” thing is great…my everyday coat is grey, my hat black, my gloves black leather w/red stitching. Picked up a great acrylic knit scarf (can’t wear wool) in black/charcoal/grey/red narrow stripes. Wifey loves it on me, other people have complimented me. One tip, guys: if you go for a light color, check for washability…your scarf will get dingy with use.

73 That Guy January 23, 2013 at 5:34 pm

I wore a shemagh as a scarf to work one day. I had several people asking me if I was gay. I thought it looked fine, honestly, it didn’t look that different from a normal scarf except the fact that it was quite a bit shorter so I made one end long while the other one would be shorter and go over my shoulder. Different cultures I guess, maybe somewhere colder than a temperate region would be more accepting.

74 RP February 13, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Any thoughts about men silk scarves ? I’ve seen it recently in the new run of Dallas – J.R. is rocking a silk scarf inside a dress shirt collar – I like it !

75 shortymonster February 23, 2013 at 9:52 am

I wear a square scarf, a military scrim net scarf to be precise, and was wondering if I am doing so correctly? Any tips or advice?

76 jerry February 23, 2013 at 4:01 pm

To me scarves are functional not so much for looks…that is to feminized for me. I do wear some very sharp scarves though. I dress for me. When I was on the prowl I let my smile and my natural manliness be the attraction.

77 Pete February 27, 2013 at 7:30 am

Scarf pins are a no-no for a guy, but how about scarf rings?

78 Adam February 27, 2013 at 1:19 pm

My Korean friend (who knows far more about men’s fashion than I) says that a neck-wrap is referred to as a ‘muffler’ when worn by a man, and a ‘scarf’ when worn by a woman. Is there any truth to this?

79 Lee June 18, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Scarves are great, but forget the “Parisian” knot unless your name is “Fronk” and you plan weddings….

80 Rachel August 19, 2013 at 4:02 pm

I find it interesting that this page was pinned to a board with a large selection of crocheted and knitted scarves done very well for men, yet the author has issues with needleart scarves. A thick wool crocheted scarf (what you called a blanket) is the most requested Christmas item by men I know. A thin flannel quilted neck warmer with thinsulate in it is also aways a winner. When you are cold, you do what works. These work.

81 Nully September 3, 2013 at 12:34 am

I often wear brightly colored, typically floral, silk or cashmere scarves tied with a french knot. I’m 6,6, I weigh 280 pounds and im heavily tattooed. Ill wear what I damned well please :)

82 Rahul January 24, 2014 at 12:31 pm

I love scarfs and they’re very manly….John Wayne wore one! My favorite way to tie it is the French knot.

83 jeff March 9, 2014 at 8:11 am

where can i find a nice selection of men’s dress scarves…..? They are not easy to find !

84 Alexandra March 20, 2014 at 5:34 pm

I just linked to this article in a recent blog entry I made – http://eyeloveknots.blogspot.com/2014/03/crochet-adult-ribbing-scarf-in-blue.html.

I like my scarfs to be 5.5″ wide so I’ve made my boyfriends scarfs 5.5″ wide as well, but after reading this article, I decided to make them a little wider at 6.5″.
Thanks!