How to Dress for a Job Interview: Your 60 Second Visual Guide

by Brett & Kate McKay on December 8, 2011 · 68 Comments

in Dress & Grooming, Visual Guides

Hair recently cut. Solid or conservatively patterned tie. No bright or flashy colors. If you rock a pocket square, only use the square fold. 2 or 3 buttons. ½” shirt cuff exposed. Cuffed best for tall men; uncuffed for short. Shoes polished. Plain or capped oxford shoes, rounded toe and closed lacing. Jacket sleeve should not extend past knuckles. Dark single breasted suit. While or blue solid shirt. Patterned shirts acceptable. Tie coordinates with shirt’s pattern. Flat front khakis (grey flannel or dark denim may work at some companies). Socks match color of pants. Dress boots or leather slip-on shoes. Nails trimmed. Simple leather case or portfolio. Sports jacket. Face cleanly shaven or beard neatly trimmed.

Illustration by Ted Slampyak

Got a job interview coming up and are wondering how to dress? Here are some general guidelines to follow at a glance.

This illustrated guide made possible by Life Khaki by Haggar – Talking Men’s style.

1 Dante S. December 8, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Nice, but I think wearing a tie is a bit of an overkill for an interview at Starbuck’s.

2 Andrew R. December 8, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Very nice guide! I love Ted’s illustrations. I can’t get enough of them.

Dante, I don’t think this guide is for entry level jobs. The casual get-up is for “real” jobs at casual companies, say a start-up in Silicon valley perhaps….

3 Josh December 8, 2011 at 1:33 pm

@Dante
Wearing a tie may seem overkill for a Starbucks interview at first glance, but it actually isn’t. When presented with many candidates which have no actual advantage over each other, the best dressed one will almost always get the job. Always wear a tie, and you’ll always have that edge above everyone else being interviewed.

4 Mike Hickerson December 8, 2011 at 1:44 pm

@Dante,
You could always wear your tie ironically.

5 Andrew Carroll December 8, 2011 at 1:48 pm

Despite some people thinking this is “overkill” (which it might be!), I would like to see men adhere to these standards daily, not just for the interview. Well dressed Men always command more respect and our gender has let our standards slide WAY to far down!

6 Keith Brawner December 8, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Dressing up is for more than one purpose (in no particular order):

1 – To show that you care about the job interview enough to have prepared for it before hand (cut hair, polished shoes, matching clothes, etc.). Going to a job interview that you don’t care about is a waste of the interviewers’ time. If you appear not to care, you are starting on the wrong foot.

2 – To show that you _can_ dress up. If you are going to be representing the company, it is important that you have the ability to dress up. This is your designated time to show it off. If you don’t, your employer has no indication that you have the ability to do so. This bodes poorly for the next point.

3 – To get the job. As Dilbert would say “your clothes get promotions, and hopefully you are in them when they do”. The selected candidate gets the job 100% of the time. The selected candidate is frequently the one that presented himself best.

4 – To get higher pay. Even if you are selected as the person to fill the duties, and are a shoe-in for the position, you are still shooting for a higher salary. Dante makes a good point that wearing a tie to the Starbucks interview may be overkill. However, who will start (or successfully negotiate) with higher pay?

7 Brent Pittman December 8, 2011 at 2:49 pm

As a former recruiter where I hired hundreds of people, please dress up and look nice (tie or not). Remember the recruiter or hiring manager will hire or pass you along to the next level in the first 30 seconds. The rest of the interview is simply to justify the first impression. Happy job hunting out there.

8 jeff December 8, 2011 at 3:23 pm

So how do you get the interview?

9 Mark December 8, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Also a reason to dress up: To change the way YOU feel during the interview. A suit has a psychological effect on you.

Also if you’re a fan of the Manager Tools podcast (www.manager-tools.com), they would say that casual still means you wear a suit.

10 Adam December 8, 2011 at 4:18 pm

“Jacket sleeve should not extend past knuckles” applies to every situation, not just a job interview.

11 Max December 8, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Never wear a black suit to a job interview. Preferably Navy, Grey if it’s all you have.
: ) :

12 Alan December 8, 2011 at 5:48 pm

What about a bow tie at an interview? Too much?

13 Scot December 8, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I’ve always heard to match socks to shoes, not pants.

14 Dan December 8, 2011 at 8:35 pm

You know what I wore to my last interview? Jeans and a polo.

Guess what? I got the job. Know what I wear everyday to work? Jeans and a polo.

Dress for the job you want. ;) And for what it’s worth, I’m a Mechanical Engineer at a multinational aerospace corporation.

15 Matt Deckard December 8, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Brown three piece suit is acceptable for a Starbucks interview.

16 Micah December 8, 2011 at 8:37 pm

The casual interview reminds me of my own work wardrobe. I’m a teacher at a college prep school.

I’d love to see articles on the lifestyles and effective habits of manly teachers. Can we have some of those?

17 DK December 8, 2011 at 8:56 pm

@Dan,

I am also a mechanical engineer at a “multinational aerospace corporation” (more specifically, a manufacturing engineer, but that’s besides the point). My company is also very casual. I could have interviewed in jeans and a polo, but I didn’t. In fact, for the past 6 months (I’m fresh out of college), I have worn nothing but khakis and dress/sport shirts. You know what? People treat you far different if you put in the extra effort. Even when I dressed nice as an intern I was given more respect than many of my coworkers.

All levels of managers respect it when you dress to impress. It makes you more memorable because you stand out in a good way – the attention is on you, on your own terms. And remember, you can NEVER replace a first impression, so start it off right!

The style articles on this site (notably the ones by Antonio) are a great starting point. Over the past few years I have started to improve my wardrobe, both for work and in my personal life, and it really does make a difference. Like I said, you can only make one first impression and you want to make it the best you possibly can. That starts visually with your appearance. You would be foolish to think otherwise.

DK

18 Rustin H. Wright December 8, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I’m with Dan. Dress to show that you’re in sync with the place that you hope to work. Find out what a typical person with your hoped-for job wears on a day of internal meetings, and go half a notch dressier.

But keep in mind, that quality of weave and cut can be a more effective way to get dressier than to change the types of clothes worn. In most places, a high thread count polo with a collar that sits flat and suits your neckline will come across as dressier than a synthetic mix “dress shirt” in any but the most restrained colors.

Go to a poor people’s store in the trashiest, tackiest ghetto you can find. Ideally one with good lighting. This means lots of sun if it all possible. Not just bright. Look at the clothes there. Hanging threads, color choices, etc. Look for how the fabric hangs and wrinkles. Is it shiny? What are the lapels and collars like? How long are they? What is their angle?

Now go to the kind of traditional store where a dress shirt is a hundred dollars at least. Brooks Brothers will do if it has to, as will Nordstroms. Though an independently owned store in an old money neighborhood is better. Look at the same variables. Tell the clerk that you’re not buying that day and, if true, be honest about needing to be very careful about your money. Then ask their advice. Now go back to the trashy store again. Compare them.

Now you’ve got a basic education in colors (restrained is usually better), cut, and condition.
Bully. NOW you’re ready to shop. For most men, now that you know what you’re looking for, except for jackets and underwear, Goodwill and the like will do just fine. Just be sure to check each item OBSESSIVELY for stains, tears, etc. Logos of any kind are an absolute no.

One additional factor is crucial: NO WRINKLES AT ALL. Worst case scenario, do the bachelor ironing job. The day before the interview take the clothes that you’re planning to wear and get them wet with near-boiling water. Then hang them to dry in the path of an energetic flow of air. If you’ve got a windy window, that’s fine. Otherwise use a fan whose blades you’ve recently cleaned.

Best of luck, gentlemen.

19 Chris December 8, 2011 at 9:00 pm

As a manager who interviewed workers for entry level jobs, I was always impressed by applicants who dressed up. Those who didn’t take the time didn’t get a second call. If you can’t take the time to dress up for our first meeting, I assume you’re not going to take the time to show up to work. While I didn’t personally expect a tie, those who wore them always got a second interview and usually got the job.

Starbucks or not, take the interview seriously and the employer will take you seriously.

20 Brandon December 8, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Great post, and I’ll definitely take it to heart, but I do have one question. I’ve been attempting to find work at various ad agencies, and two things have become apparent:
1) A few of the companies I’ve looked at have posted photos on Facebook, and appear to have an ultra-casual dress code (The most well dressed person MIGHT be wearing a polo shirt.)
2) It’s a creative position, and there’s an underlying implication they want to see your creativity and personality.
Is it at all possible to go overboard and go from looking formal to looking stuffy, or would it still be erring on the side of caution?

21 Rustin H. Wright December 8, 2011 at 9:02 pm

One last point. You are neither Regis Philbin nor George Raft. Leave the solid color ties at home.

22 Rustin H. Wright December 8, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Brandon, yes, it is possible to go overboard on formality. I have worked in publishing, technology, and advertising for decades now, mostly in New York City, and I can assure you that at plenty of those places, the person who shows up in a tie or, even worse, a suit will be dismissed as a noob or, even worse, a “suit” who will drag everybody else down and undermine creative tasks with excessive focus on trivia.

Note, by the way, that counterintuitively, you *can* get away with more formal clothes if you manage to project that this is a conscious effort at, well, almost at being a dandy.

A typical suit and tie from Men’s Wearhouse is the kiss of death. Something that looks like it’s straight from a Lafayette St. or Kensington High Road boutique, done ABSOLUTELY right, can work out very well. After all, seeming like a clueless hick from mall country will kill your chances dead. But a fine young man with a sense of elegance and his own branding well in hand is an asset, don’t you think?

23 Rustin H. Wright December 8, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Let’s be honest here. Much of this is about the intersection of signifiers of competence, trustworthiness and class.

Not of being a supergenius but of having a solid hand on the throttle and a keen knowledge of the machine.

Not of being a saint but not going to rob the till or spill the beans either.

Not of seeming as wealthy as possible but of being typical of the class that the people doing the hiring think of themselves as being and wanting to be.

Your clothes and manner should sell those three things in every way possible.

• I can do this job very well.
• You will be able to hand me a task and know that I will do that task in the way that you want me to do it.
• I’m somebody you share a vocabulary with, not just of words, but of values.

You will be proud to tell other people that I work for you and comfortable having me there when times get difficult.

24 CoachT December 8, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Nothing looks more “creative” than someone who knows how to dress correctly. Look at some high-end artists and musicians and see if they’re really sporting the “I just crawled out of bed” look.

True creatives know what quality looks like and insist upon it. They also know when it’s time to sport denim and a polo vs a well-fit and pressed suit. The job interview would be the latter.

Try French cuffs and links on that dress shirt and watch the “creative” pop up a level. “Real” creatives also know how to tie a symmetrical knot in real silk too.

Leave the chinos and polos to the workers, it’s their uniform.

25 Steven December 8, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Very few people are going to be hired by the Googles and Apples and “multinational aerospace corporations” mentioned above. When I hire labor workers (manual or semi-skilled), I expect them to wear slacks, nice shoes (brown loafers are OK), and a collar. When I hire for a desk (professional) job, I expect a suit and tie. Anything else is less than professional and is remembered negatively.

Only a fortunate few can show up to an interview in jeans and a Rolling Stones t-shirt and hope for a job. Most people should not count on it.

26 Eddie December 8, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I am not against dressing to impress, being clean or alittle better than what a person who works there would dress. However the place of business show be concidered in there as well. For example if the candidate wears a suit and tie to an interview at a welding shop or other shop with heavy machinary, there knowledge of the business is highly questionable. In case you didn’t know the material that most suits are made of, is highly flamable and welding sparks can catch those cloth on fire. Another example is a horse trainer, assuming you are hiring one and they show up to your barn, dressed like neither of the gentlemen shown above, how does that outfit impress me compared to a man who shows up dressed cleanly but in clothes that they can work in? I know both example are more blue collared job but don’t assume those jobs are low paying neither, the horse trainer can make millions (depedning on the type and getting the right horse) and a welder can make very large hourly rates depending on what type of welder they are, underwater welder have the highest wages, but the risk is there, too.

27 David V December 8, 2011 at 9:48 pm

“Jacket sleeve should not extend past knuckles” Wrist!
The coat length should not fall below the thumb joint.

28 Johnnie December 8, 2011 at 11:48 pm

I deal with wealthy individuals every day. I wear dress boots with my suit and tie. I don’t own a pair of dress shoes. Sorry, but in some parts of the country a pair of exotic skin boots is considered more appropriate than a pair of dress shoes.

29 Gary V December 9, 2011 at 1:14 am

The people of Wisconsin would still say the guy on the right is wearing a suit.

30 Mike S December 9, 2011 at 2:29 am

I think it really depends on the job. I tucked in a collared, short-sleeve shirt and wore polished leather shoes and gray slacks to a game development interview and felt akwardly-overdressed. At the next iterview, I wore the same slacks and shirt, but untucked the shirt and wore black Chucks instead, and it felt perfect. I think the goal is to dress just a notch above what you would wear daily at that job. They want to know, especially at game development studios, that you’re going to fit in well, and the way you dress can help communicate that.

31 Ralph V. December 9, 2011 at 2:41 am

Great article. Only point that I may add is to remember to have your suits tailored to fit you correctly. It may seem like common sense to most of us but I have consistently seen men who wear suits simply off the rack. Once in a great while that might work out for someone but most of the time a bit of tailoring is required. A tailored suit can have an enormous impact in confidence of the interviewee and be visually pleasing to the interviewer.

32 unani December 9, 2011 at 4:28 am

any tips on easy beard trimming when you want a rather full, “jaw-filler” beard?

33 Mitch December 9, 2011 at 9:33 am

@unani

Yes, I wear a full beard and am a working professional and often get complimented on the nice look of my beard here’s what I think. #1 keep it trimmed. #2 get a fine toothed comb and comb often. #3 shave your cheeks and neck daily. For trimming I don’t cut across a comb as I find it way too difficult. I comb through my beard and then I use a small scissors and scim across the surface clipping off just the long hairs sticking out so that it has some nice uniformity – looks clean but allows the beard to fill out. For the mustache it is very important to keep it off your lips! Nothing spells slob like mustache growing over your mouth. To trim the stash comb it and use your upper lip as a template and trim along the shape of your lip. As with neck shaving I have to say one of my pet peeves with modern men and beards is that men today often shave the neckline of their beards all the way up to their jaw bone – don’t do that! It looks fine in the mirror but notice when you see them in public, the beard line goes up on their face when they turn their head and looks awkward. I let my beard extend about 1″ down from my jawline onto my neck and I shave a clean line. In a nutshell that’s it! Good luck.

34 Mitch December 9, 2011 at 9:39 am

@RalphV

Great point! I was inspired by an article I read on AOM to tweak up my work wardrobe and the 1 big tip I read was about making sure you learn to wear clothes that fit. I have to shop on a budget but even so I have found that by soliciting some help and making sure to get measured for my shirts, jackets, etc so I know what my size is supposed to be and going from there really does wonders to jazz up your style. I never realized until then that I have gone my whole life wearing clothes that are way too big and big clothes look dumpy. Great tip.

35 Kevin December 9, 2011 at 9:46 am

Any hair recommendations for those of who wear it long (please don’t tell me to cut it)?

I work in IT (moving toward management as a result of tenure and internal corporate knowledge).

36 Frank Martin | Modern Monkey Mind December 9, 2011 at 9:56 am

Love this! I’m in the midst of a job hunt for my first gig in the real world, so this is particularly timely (even if I haven’t gotten an interview yet).

37 Kevin Russell December 9, 2011 at 11:03 am

Great stuff!!! In 2004 I was retiring from the Air Force and interviewed for the railroad. Of the 200 guys in the room I was the only one in a suit and tie. Interview ended at 1500 and they called me at 1700 to offer me a job. The guys I hired out with still tease me about the suit and tie but I have no doubt it played a factor in getting the job.

38 Asriel December 9, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I always wear the best cloths i have, doesn’t matter the level the job is. Every time ive got to the interview stage, I have been hired, and im sure the way i dress plays a huge part in it.

When i worked in an auto shop and had applicants come in, if they showed up in everyday cloths, we didnt really bother with there application, if they couldn’t bother dressing up for the application, then we didnt bother taking a look.

Awesome illustration, btw. I always loving seeing these pictures come out.

39 Enrique December 9, 2011 at 2:30 pm

A while back when I was 17 I was trying to get a job at the local grocery store. I was applying to be a stocker (you know the lowest job out there, haha). While I was waiting I saw 7 other guys some dressed in the typical jeans and t-shirt. While a few others just like me were wearing untucked collar shirts with slacks. Yet, I was feeling a bit overdressed, I mean I was just applying to be a stocker after all. While there I was carrying my tie with me on my pocket and just for the heck of it I decided to put it on. I went to the restroom put on the tie tucked my shirt in and went to the interview. Everything went fantastic to say the least, I negotiated days off including hollidays and even my work schedule with him. 25 min later he called gave me the job and agreed with all of my conditions. Also during my employment there he treated me with more respect and trust than the other stockers(of course good work ethic is essential as well). Later on I asked what made him hire me he told me that the tie and tucked in shirt sold him because to him it meant that I wanted to take the job seriously no matter how small it was. That’s why I believe to dress sharp to any job interview. It also proved to be a factor in getting my new job as a health promoter. Well that’s my two cents.

40 Pat Ryan December 9, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I would definitely dress up and bring out the full 9 for a job interview and i would never be underdressed in any situation. It is also important that you aren’t overdressed in certain situations.

@ DK
Sure, people treat you differently when you wear a dress shirt and sport coat everyday no matter what.

It’s because they think you are a pretentious nancy boy that thinks his shit don’t stink. For a blog about manliness, there seems to be a lot of that going around.

41 Pacho December 9, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Are people so threatened nowadays by the thought of a man wearing a dress shirt and sport coat everyday, that they resort to calling one who does so a nancy boy on the internet?

Brett & Kate, this visual guide was a great idea and very handy and like someone said above, not bad advice for everyday wear in a professional environment. Thanks.

42 Trevor N December 9, 2011 at 7:21 pm

These illustrations are my favourite part of the site, very nice!

43 Andrew December 9, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I have to agree with Pacho that this is a good guide for professional everyday wear as well. I really don’t understand the anti-tie culture (and anti-dressing up culture for that matter). It seems that there is this weird egalitarian view that if don’t dress to the lowest-common denominator, you are automatically labeled as pretentious or stuck-up. This coming form a 19-year-old college sophomore. At any rate, I appreciate this and will definitely use it as a guide for job/internship interviews.

44 jt December 10, 2011 at 1:43 am

For my first job interview a while back in the summer I wore a pair of cargo shorts a light blue dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up and top bottun undone. I was confiedent and looked my boss straight when i spoke. 1/2 later called and gave me the job. I would have to thank my mom on that one.

45 Trey December 10, 2011 at 8:40 am

I totally agree with this guide. Doesn’t matter if you wore jeans and a polo to your last job interview and happened to get it.

Present yourself in the best possible manner for the interview. Don’t just dress for the job you’re applying for, dress for the job you may have 10 years from now.

A smile, looking someone in the eye, and a firm handshake go a long way, too.

How about an article about what I went through recently. These days some companies don’t even accept resumes or application in person now. You have to apply online. Address how a man should deal with something like that in our modern society.

46 Vink December 10, 2011 at 1:39 pm

You can never go wrong by being the best dressed man in the room, at any time.

47 jeremy December 10, 2011 at 5:21 pm

People wear ties to mcdonalds interviews. So no wearing one is not overkill. Starbucks actually pays well for a low-level job.

48 Clif December 10, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I am an HVAC Service Man. The few times I have went job hunting, I wore a nice long sleeve button up shirt (tucked in!), creased black jeans, a belt, and good looking (but not brand new) work boots. Never failed to get a job.

In most skilled trades, its very important to look like a guy that can be trusted to go into a million dollar house with no one home.

Always go clean shaven. Unless you are a married Amish man, if you are too lazy to shave your face in the morning, you are too lazy to work for me.

Never wear brand new boots or jeans to an interview. You want to look like you know your way around, not like some greenhorn fresh out of vo-tech school. Speaking of vo-tech school, play down school and play up real life experience.

Tuck in your shirt, wear a belt, remove any jewelry other than your wedding band. Wear a long sleeve shirt if you have scars or tattoos on your arms. Forget about your rights…..you are at an interview to get a job not express your individualism.

During the interview, be humble, be honest, and make eye contact.

49 TJ December 10, 2011 at 7:24 pm

My company would almost certainly not hire you if you showed up in a tie… Just shows you don’t understand the company culture well enough (If you didn’t read the company blog well enough to understand a tie was inappropriate or didn’t figure it out from the blog we don’t want you)…

This is a 6 figure job full of people with Master’s level education.

50 Pancho December 10, 2011 at 11:09 pm

There are men in this country who have achieved great wealth and success with little formal education. Those men are relatively few.

There are companies and positions where following this guide for an interview may be unnecessary or even counterproductive. Those companies and positions are relatively few. Most men will not be interviewing for those companies, or for those positions.

The men who work for those companies can rest easy and consider themselves fortunate. You scored something in the lottery of life. Congratulations. We’ll be thinking of you.

The majority of men in this country are not so fortunate. For the majority of men who are seeking employment in this economy, the advice offered in the visual guide is good, useful, and just plain realistic.

51 Jake December 11, 2011 at 10:33 am

Let me assure you, as one who has done some hiring, that tie, no matter how lowly the job, the tie is a hit.

I currently teach high school, and we have a small contingent of boys who do the shirt and tie thing every day. At first they were laughed at, good naturedly of course, but the longer they kept at it the more it spread. They feel better, do better, and work better when they look better.

Wear the tie. It’s never a mistake.

52 Mike December 11, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I love to dress up, so I hate to disagree with Steven’s point of view, but I think wearing culture appropriate attire is beyond essential.

I have the very good fortune of working for Apple, and I have no doubt in my mind I’d be laughed out of the building if I wore a tie. The general guide is to watch the executive team. They wear jeans, polos, and sharp sweaters. A tie would be cultural suicide in our offices.

I’ve had interviews with most of the silicon valley tech companies, as well as more than a few wall street firms, and each one expects a different code of dress, even among similar industries. If a Googler showed up at Apple wearing a t-shirt and ill fitting cargo shorts, he’d probably be escorted out by security. The same thing would happen to someone wearing a suit. Research really is essential on this matter, combined with a good judgement of what suits you.

53 zeus December 11, 2011 at 8:16 pm

This reminds me of an article I did a few months back on my own site. Very well done on the illustration.

54 Mike December 11, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Apparently, Esquire liked this enough that they threw it on their website as well (giving due credit to AoM). Thought that was pretty neat. The link is on my name above.

55 Jason December 11, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I wore a full suit, dress shirt, and tie to my interview — much like the picture on the left. I got the job, but I don’t know if it had anything to do with my attire. Actually, they made fun of me later (my co-workers) for being overdressed at my interview.

Better to be overdressed than underdressed, I guess. There are many things upon which people might accuse you of trying too hard, but looking good isn’t one of them.

56 Matt December 11, 2011 at 10:57 pm

As a engineering supervisor at a heavy equipment factory I can state without hesitation that the candidates I have recently been interviewing have fallen into two categories. Category one followed the formal interview attire, the second category did not.

The important factor in hiring is quite often “who fits best in the company, in the environment and in the group of coworkers?” For our company, the folks who wore the formal attire to their first interview brought a seriousness and a sense of respect to the interview. Suits are worn to show respect, not only to yourself, but also to the people you are around.

When the second round of interview came around the candidates who were well dressed yet comfortable (Button down shirt, Tie, Suit Jacket on the chair) are the ones who interviewed well. It showed preparation and adaptability to dress down a bit at the time it is needed.

Basically, show up well dressed you can always dress down if you feel the situation calls for it, and also allows for it.

Good luck to all who are interviewing.

57 Riley December 12, 2011 at 10:33 am

I work in radio. Since you can’t see who’s talking to you on the radio, I frequently show up looking like a few different shades of hell. But when I show up for an interview or have to do a public appearance, I dress like the goddamn president.

The suit makes the man.

58 Tony December 12, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I have seen all kinds of attire when people come for a job interview. I often wished I could cull them at the door if not properly dressed. I don’t know what some people expect showing up to an interview in shabby clothes but I know what kind of impression it makes on me!

59 JMerrill December 13, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Fantastic illustration, as a designer it is nice of you to include us casual professional types as well. Keep up the great work.

60 Robert Brown December 13, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Dressing for an interview means you take the interview seriously, which means you would take the job seriously. I’ve been to interviews where they mentioned it would have been okay to be totally casual, but I have never gone in anything less than a suit. Sure, the boss may not wear that sort of thing, but I’d like to keep them on their toes.

61 Joseph Sanchez December 14, 2011 at 11:40 am

@ Kevin with long hair. I currently am wearing my hair long. Not knowing how long your hairs is the best advice I would say is go to a stylist before the interview and have it trimed and cleaned up. basically thinned out. then comb it using a palmade. I use the Axe (clean cut?) palmade. It works well and is very inexpensive. comb it back or part it (ala ashton kutcher) or put it in a low “pony tail” I do that and have never had one complaint or issue come up.

As to what to where, I would suggest dressing to the job you want and how other managers dress.

There is always an issue with dressing for interview/work. I agree to dress to the culture of where you work. I live in Texas, a pair of polished Lucchese, Dan Post, or Tony Lama boots are just as formal as a pair of $700.00 oxfords.

62 Simon Frez-Albrecht December 14, 2011 at 2:36 pm

I think it’s also good to keep in mind that when you arrive, if you find that you are overdressed, it is easy to take off the jacket, the tie, un-tuck the shirt, etc. It is harder to do the opposite, however.

63 William December 22, 2011 at 4:57 pm

@Dante
I wore a jacket and tie to my interview for a lowly job as Hardlines at Target. 3 months later, I was promoted to Electronics. 3 months after that, I interviewed, in a suit and tie for an entry level management position with the same company. I got the job. You better believe when I’m interviewing for an executive position, I’ll also being wearing a suit. The point is, if you’re serious about your job, then you should dress seriously, no matter how lowly you or other’s might see your position. Word got around quickly that I cared about my job, dressed professionally, and I am positive that this was about 75 percent of my advancement. Another 20 percent for actual skill, and five for dumb luck.

64 Wife, mother and freind..... January 30, 2013 at 11:22 am

A tie will win the job over a non tie! Trust me even if it is for a job at Starbucks!

65 Alex March 13, 2013 at 9:57 pm

“You can never overdress or overeducated” ~ Oscar Wilde
Pretty much sums it up if you think you don’t need to present yourself to the fullest for even the lowest of jobs

66 Sarah Lawson July 1, 2013 at 2:05 am

This is a great guide for male applicants. It’s straightforward and easy to understand. I especially liked the guidelines for the casual job interview attire. It’s well put together without it being too pretentious.

67 Jared September 20, 2013 at 6:34 am

The shoes are the only thing that threw me off, I’ve heard a number of professionals saying square toe shoes is the norm.

68 Marc Gervais October 9, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I work in an aerospace factory. If you showed up dressed like that for a skilled trades job or technicians job…you would look overdressed. Most show up in nice dockers, polo shirt or collared shirt…no sport coat, no tie.