The four-in-hand is a simple and easy tie knot that works well for thinner ties with traditional patterns, and pairs best with dress shirts that have narrow spread and button down collars.
- Start with the narrow side nearly to the waist. Cross wide side over.
- Cross the wide side underneath the narrow side.
- Cross over the narrow side again; bring wide side up under the chin.
- Push wide side into loop made from crosses.
- Tighten and straighten your tie. Pinche tie under knot (optional).
If you liked this visual guide, let us know, and we’ll do some for the more “sophisticated” knots as well!
Like this illustrated guide? Then you’re going to love our book The Illustrated Art of Manliness! Pick up a copy on Amazon.