The Best Guns for Home Defense

by Brett on July 23, 2009 · 692 comments

in Gun Skills & Safety, Manly Skills, Tactical Skills

homedefense

Source Life

Editor’s note: This is a guest post from Jon at Armslist.comArmslist.com is an online firearms marketplace that helps users find buyers and sellers in their local market and effect transactions in the simplest way possible.

Disclaimer: This article is aimed at helping those who are not sure where to start their research process.  It is not a definitive guide to firearms purchases.  Some of the information is generalized and all readers should conduct further research before making any decision.

Nearly every American man has heard the story of the shootout at the OK Corral.  Wyatt Earp and his cohorts confronted a group of outlaw cowboys and emerged victorious.  While much myth and mystery surrounds the circumstances of this encounter, a few things are very clear.  Wyatt Earp was proficient with his Colt Peacemaker and Doc Holiday with the shotgun. While much has changed since the days of the Wild West, both the handgun and the shotgun remain top choices for clearing out ruffians who are encroaching on your territory.

A man has always been the king of his castle and protector of his domain. When things go bump in the night, it’s your job to check on things. What should you grab when you head downstairs? Today we’ll the discuss the best guns for home defense as well as some of the pros and cons of each.

Training

gunsafetyGun safety training is essential for every man.

Before you even think about purchasing a gun, it is imperative that you are trained on how to properly use it. Remember: guns are a weapon. With the right to bear arms comes the heavy responsibility of handling them with the precaution and respect they deserve.

Moreover, a gun in the hands of man who doesn’t know what he’s doing with it is a liability to him and to his family. Regardless of what you purchase, you should frequent the firing range, take a firearms course, and attend or even partake in shooting events. All of these tasks will help you to learn to properly handle firearms.

Here are some resources to check out to get started:

Appleseed Project, a grassroots marksmanship program: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

IDPA, Defensive Pistol shooting: http://www.idpa.com/

The Best Guns for Home Defense

Pump Action Shotgun

shotgun

Mossberg 500 – 12 Gauge Pump Shotgun

The general consensus in the firearms community is that the pump action shotgun is the top choice for home defense. They’re relatively easy to use and nearly impossible to break. More importantly, the sound of chambering a hot round into a pump action 12 gauge is sure to soil the britches of even the most hardened criminal.

The Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 are extremely popular choices in this category.  Both are proven to be extremely reliable for a reasonable price, beginning at around $200.

Ease of Use and Reliability

The pump action shotgun is a relatively simple weapon to use.  Shotgun shells are loaded into the gun, and the pump action chambers a round. Pulling the trigger fires the chambered round.  The next pump ejects the spent shell and loads another round into the chamber.  These attributes contribute to the pump action shotgun’s reliability.

Effectiveness

Shotguns are most commonly used to fire a number of projectiles, anywhere from roughly nine pellets used in 00 buckshot up to hundreds of bb sized pellets in bird shot.  At close range and with proper ammunition, shotguns can be extremely effective in defending you and your loved ones.

For more information on different types of shot and their ballistic qualities, refer to this article.

Verdict (out of 5)

Cost: 5

Ease of Use: 4

Reliability: 5

Effectiveness: 5

Bonus: (Sound of chambering a round)

Overall: 4.75

Revolver

revolver

Smith & Wesson 686 .357 Mag 4″, 6 round

The next best weapon for home defense is the revolver.  Revolvers are the simplest and most reliable of hand guns.  One of the major advantages of the revolver is its small size which allows for easy storage and access.  Also, another benefit of the revolver is its price. You can find quality revolvers for as little as a few hundred dollars.

Ease of Use & Reliability

Revolvers are produced in double action and single action varieties.  Single action revolvers require the user to pull back the hammer manually before firing the gun.  Most modern revolvers offer double action operation which alleviates the need to pull back the hammer before firing the weapon. While there are advantages to using a single-action revolver, the double-action revolver is the superior choice for home defense because of its ease of use. When an intruder has entered your home, you don’t want to have to think about cocking a gun.

Because of it’s simple design, the revolver is an extremely reliable weapon. Unlike semi-automatic weapons, it is nearly impossible for a revolver to jam. If there is a round in the cylinder of a double-action revolver, pulling the trigger will fire the gun.  Simple as that. This simplicity is an important factor for use in already stressful situations.

One drawback on revolvers, or any handgun for that matter, is the skill required to properly and effectively operate them. Don’t be fooled by your hours of playing Duck Hunt. Hitting a target, even if it’s just a few feet away, is deceptively difficult.

Effectiveness

Handguns are produced in a number of different calibers and the stopping power is dependent upon which round is used. Common choices are .38 Special (also available in a slightly stronger “+P” variety), .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, and .45 Long Colt.  One advantage to buying a .357 revolver is that the owner can use .38 special, .38 special +P, or .357 magnum rounds as the gun accepts and safely fires all of them.  (Conversely, a .38 revolver cannot fire .357 magnum.)

It’s important to consider that larger caliber revolvers may be more difficult to fire accurately in quick succession.  Unfortunately, smaller caliber revolvers may lack the stopping power necessary to quickly incapacitate an attacker.

Visual comparison of common handgun cartridges. Left to right:

800px-Comparitive_handgun_rounds
1) 3 inch 12 ga magnum shotgun shell
2) AA battery (for size comparison)
3) .454 Casull
4) .45 Winchester Magnum
5) .44 Remington Magnum
6) .357 Magnum
7) .38 Special
8) .45 ACP
9) .38 Super
10) 9 mm Luger
11) .32 ACP
12) .22 LR

Verdict

Cost:4

Ease of Use: 3

Reliability: 5

Effectiveness: 3

Overall: 3.75

Semi-Automatic pistols

les_premierII

Les Baer Premier II 1911

Every AoM reader has seen these in movies and TV shows. They’re also the guns that most police officers carry. While semi-automatic pistols might be good for cops, they’re not a good choice for one’s first firearm purchase, at least not when home defense is the primary use. We’ll go into why that is further below.

Two iconic semi-automatic pistols are the 1911 variants and polymer pistols such as Glocks. The 1911 has seen action through two world wars and is still in use by US Special Operations and FBI HRT. Glocks have been heralded for their ease of use and reliability and have seen much use in law enforcement. Quality semi-automatic pistols can cost as little as a few hundred or as much as a few thousand.

Ease of Use and Reliability

The operation of a semi-automatic handgun is more complicated than a revolver.  An operator must become familiar with operating slide-stops and safeties, loading magazines, chambering rounds and clearing jams.  The additional actions involved make it less than ideal for those unfamiliar with hand guns.  This, combined with the skill required to accurately shoot a handgun, means that semi-automatic handguns are the least user friendly of the choices mentioned.

Because rounds are automatically loaded and the design is more complex, semi-automatic weapons are also more prone to jamming failures than revolvers.

Because of the semi-automatic handgun’s lower reliability and more complicated operation, first time purchasers should probably consider a shotgun or a revolver.

Effectiveness

As with revolvers, effectiveness varies drastically with caliber.  There are many different calibers for semi-automatic handguns. The most common are .380 ACP, 9mm, .357 Sig, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP.  The 9mm is perhaps the most popular caliber, in use by military and law enforcement around the world. The .40 S&W was created by the FBI to allow for additional stopping power over the 9mm.  The 45 ACP came about during the development of the 1911.

Verdict

Cost: 3

Ease of Use: 2

Reliability: 3

Effectiveness: 3

Overall: 2.75

Conclusion

This article is aimed at providing a starting place for those that lack prior knowledge of and experience with firearms.  Again, proper education, training, and practice are essential when deciding to purchase a gun.

For another take on what weapons are the best for home defense, see Primer Magazine’s article: Hero Training: Best Weapons for Home Defense.

What are your thoughts on the best guns for home defense? Do you prefer a baseball bat over a gun? Let us know in the comments.

501 Matt April 4, 2010 at 10:06 pm

@ Michelle- I just bought my wife a taurse pt-111. Its a 9mm, its small and lightweight. Great gun to carry in your purse or keep for home defense. Its a very reliable gun, with good safety options, its also backed by a full lifetime warranty.

My personal choice for home defense is my Rugar Gp 100 .357 with a 6″ barrel. Just had it out yesterday and it is deadly at over 50 yards.

502 Nat April 5, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Only insecure men protect their families, a real man will cower in time of danger!

503 Dennis April 7, 2010 at 6:32 pm

What our friends the Brits don’t seem to get is the role that armed citizens played in our history here in the US. So allow me to provide some context. When the central government (the King) of the mother country (England) continued to treat the citizens of the American colonies with disdain, disregarding their basic rights to be heard and represented, while taxing them with impunity, the people — not the government — courageously rose up to fight and defeat the most powerful army in the world.

Citizen soldiers won our freedom from a hostile government, mostly with their own private firearms. A healthy distrust of a strong central government (based upon the experience with England), along with a deeply felt need to protect the hard-won freedom and independence with the right to keep and bear arms, is part and parcel of our fabric and is what forged this nation’s sense of itself and its culture. That is why the right to bear arms is part of who we are. It was gained legitimately, and it will not be easily taken away. Our British friends generally do not have nor share an understanding nor appreciation for this history or national values, which makes them different in this regard, but not necessarily wrong (for them).

I can understand them feeling awkward or even repulsed with the topic of using guns for personal self-defense, precisely because they don’t have this shared history or values. After all, theirs is a society that has survived longer than ours in the US without a gun in every home or even with every cop. It may sound strange and foreign to us in the US, but vice versa is the case for them. It has seemed to work for them, and it has worked for us — to each his own.

Let’s have some mutual respect and understanding on this. British and American troops have a long history of supporting each other and fighting side – by – side to defend freedom and our respective values and homelands. They just don’t share our deeply ingrained feelings about guns and the personal freedom to keep and bear arms. I understand (but do not respect) those who snidely look down their noses at this part of us as being beneath them and uncivilized. I highly respect those whose comments indicated an awareness of some deeper issues here, and did not choose to disrespect these differences. And some disrespectful comments were certainly made also by some of my fellow Americans here on the west side of the pond, and I neither support nor condone them, either. Some were pretty rude and crude, and reckless — a bit fast and loose with their attitudes toward guns and anyone who doesn’t think like they do.

I think the article was balanced, helpful, and appropriate to this forum. Having a gun is a significant choice and a major responsibility (I own seven), potentially with life and death consequences. And so it is to choose the other way. In either case, we can all be respectful of the other side on this issue, in a gentlemanly way.

504 Sven April 7, 2010 at 10:34 pm

You Brits and Aussies are just jealous because you have given up your rights to own. Now both Nation’s experienced a sky-rocketing crime problem. Yes you can say look at all the horrible crime in the USA and I will agree but, remember where conceal carry laws are loosened for law abiding people the crime drops dramatically. Other Nation’s and their children are not safer with out guns they maybe less likely to shoot themselves but more likely to be victimized by opportunistic thieves that do not have to fear confrontation with an armed victim. I love the post about picking the phone up to call the police. Guess what? When you have a gun you do the same thing. The only difference is when the police arrive they draw a chalk line around the criminals body not yours, your wife or your children’s bodies.

It is the “Art of Manliness” for a man to defend his family and girly to cower in the corner and put trust regarding the lives and saftey of your loved ones in the hands of a criminal or a distant over-worked, under-paid police officer. All other contrary posts are NOT MANLY and the individuals should continue their research in how to be a real man and less of a victim!

505 Mr D April 7, 2010 at 11:21 pm

I live in rural Maine. Everyone has a gun. Most of them hunt, or shoot targets. Nothing wrong with gun ownership as long as the people wielding them are doing so responsibly and not because it makes them a man to shoot someone.

That being said…

“Don’t hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.”
-Theodore Roosevelt

In defense of self and family, I fully stand behind that statement.

506 Jeff April 9, 2010 at 1:43 am

I don’t agree with the people who left negative comments about this article. Hating guns just because they are dangerous, don’t make sense. More people die from car accidents every year than from gun accidents. Why are guns so bad then?

The problem is that guns in the hands of criminals are bad weapons. Guns in the hands of honest trustworthy citizens (like most of the readers of this blog) are good tools. If we had more responsible law-abiding gun owners in our country it would be a much safer place.

507 David Safrom April 10, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Some of the criticisms above are laughable. Seriously guys, throw away the tampons, and grow a pair. “You have a responsibility” some nut above said. No, you don’t. This is your blog and you can put on it whatever the crap you you choose. Thanks for the gun advise and don’t listen to the skirts who fear guns. I hope my house is never broken into while I’m there, but if it does, I’m prepared. I’d never owned a gun until a few months ago, but, now I’m a homeowner and married. I’ve got a RESPONSIBILITY to protect my house and more importantly my wife.

508 William April 11, 2010 at 1:18 am

Wow, for being a website about manliness, there sure are a lot of wimpy hoplophobes on here. Owning a gun isn’t about killing people, its about stopping them from killing me and my loved ones or stealing my property and therefore a part of my life. Whether or not they die is a result of several factors such as how quickly they drop my stuff/leave my property, how quickly they seek medical help, and how good my aim is on that day. Look into the over 100,000 reported cases of defensive gun uses every year in the US according to the FBI and the estimated multi-million uses claimed by several studies. They save far more INNOCENT lives than they take.

However, I do disagree with the article on a couple points. While I agree that a shotgun is better than any handgun for HD, it isn’t the best. First though, I also disagree with the placement of the semiauto. A good semi-auto pistol will be every bit as reliable as a revolver (read: Glock, Smith & Wesson, Colt, FN, HK, etc…) and will give the user more rounds to put on target. Also, they are just as easy to use provided you leave one in the pipe and are much easier to reload. Now onto the best. A good AR-15 carbine is a better HD platform because it provides more rounds with are just as effective but less likely to go through walls, has less recoil, and is easy to use along with attachments that make it easier to work at night such as an optic and a high intensity light. Check out Bravo Company Manufacturing, Daniel Defense, Colt, Noveske, or LMT if your interested.

509 Tex Amundson April 14, 2010 at 1:34 am

What a bunch o’ paranoid nutless wimps. Who needs a gun? Answer: paranoid nutless wimps. Guy above says “imagine multiple armed men break into your home… Happens everyday.” So just for kicks I googled ‘multiple armed men break into home.’ Go ahead, try it. But hell, what’s the use. Ever try talking sense to a nutcase?

Now try googling ‘school shooting’ or ‘postal shooting’ or even ‘accidental shooting’ – bingo!

510 Gabriel April 14, 2010 at 2:02 pm

I could care less whether or not guns existed. Before there were guns, there were bows and arrows, swords, knives, sticks and stones, or any number of other potentially lethal weapons. I take the safety of myself, my family, and those around me very seriously. I have personally been the victim of a violent crime, and I have witnessed too many other violent crimes to be able to pretend that this world is safe. I hope with all of my being that nothing bad ever happens to myself, my loved ones, or those around me. However, I will constantly train and prepare for the day that a criminal tries to hurt somebody that I care about.

Guns are irrelevant. If the best way to defend myself and my family was by carrying a sword, I would do it to the extent that I am allowed to by law. The simple truth is that a gun is the fastest and most effective way of stopping a determined attacker. Don’t kid yourself though, there are many other layers of preparedness that protect my loved ones. Everyone in my household knows what their job is in the case that we are the victim of a crime. My guns are my LAST line of defense and I hope for everyone’s sake that I never have to use them.

I am well aware of the danger of having lethal weapons and live ammunition in the house. All of my weapons are locked up, and none of them are accessible to children or home invaders. If you take the proper precautions and if you train the people in your household, you run a much lower risk of an accident happening. Sadly, the people who don’t take these precautions do have accidents.

@ the anti-gun people:
Be responsible, protect yourself and your loved ones. If you don’t, then somebody like me may have to go to court because he stopped a criminal from killing someone like you. Criminals generally make sure cops aren’t around before they commit crimes, and if I’m not there… I won’t be at court, but you may be at a funeral. Take responsibility for your family’s safety.

511 Rob April 15, 2010 at 1:42 pm

There is no way to get and keep all the guns away from the criminals. Therefore the best option is to allow citizens to have them too. Makes the criminals think twice before breaking into a house or attacking someone. BTW, guns don’t make one manly. There is nothing at all manly about my wife and she has 3 of them.

512 James April 16, 2010 at 8:55 am

First of all, I own and prefer swords over ballbats or guns. I am, however, looking into increasing the range of effectivness of my personal defenses with a handgun.
I’ve read the article and find that you’ve left out a serious point of concern. That is, that discharging a firearm larger than .32 caliber inside a building can cause painful and possibly permanente hearing loss to those in the immediate vicinity, good guys and bad alike. I doubt that anyone would think to wear hearing protection in an emergency situation.
Next, too address those with comments: as someone who grew up around weapons of all types, I must admit that I’ve never, ever witnessed or even heard of anyone being injured, harmed, insulted, or threatened by any device, be it blade, bullet, or ballbat without human involvment. A handgun won’t fire without the hand that operates it. A blade won’t cut without a hand on the handle. A ballbat won’t bash unless a hand swings it. In my opinion, training, maturity, respect, and personal responsibility are most importantant in both ownership and in deciding whether or not to buy.

513 ken scott April 17, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Owning a gun does not make you a man. But it is manly.
Being good at sports does not make you a man, but it is manly.

It is a basic short article how much do you want squeezed in.

There are no accidents with guns just carelessness.

If your child dies by shooting himself you never were a parent, you were just a person with a kid! And it was probably your carelessness that enabled it.

514 Ed April 18, 2010 at 1:13 am

Thanks for the gun primer, although I can’t believe all the fear due to the mere display of pictures of guns. Amazing; it’s really true about people with no firearms experience and hoplophobia (the clinical fear of guns). I guess I was that way once. Now I own a few guns, and understand that guns are inanimate objects; they only go off while under the operation of a human being, and I havn’t killed anybody in self defense (or otherwise). In fact, the firearms training I have received has raised my consciousness as to the irreplacible nature of human life (even that of criminals), and therefore I would only use deadly force on another person when confronted with Imminent Jeapardy of death or serious bodily injury to myself or another innocent person. It’s good to reflect on these things. In this sense guns can make you a better man (or woman).

515 TJMil April 18, 2010 at 9:03 pm

In general, I thought this was pretty good starting information. In my part of the US gun ownership is very common. I have been a policeman for about 15 years and I have seen every kind of thing happen with guns. If you are a person with a family I think it is very responsible to obtain a gun for home defense if you take it seriously. The chances of a non-criminal getting killed with that firearm are miniscule if you ensure you or anyone in the family do not fall into the following categories.
People who are criminals
Date criminals, have friends who are criminals
have children who are criminals, gang members or who hang out with them.
engage or have an environment of domestic abuse, drug abuse or alcohol abuse.
have clinical mental disorders.
have young people in the home unsupervised.
have guns laying about unsecured.
have a gun in the home secretly without discussing it with young children.
The deaths of teens/ young people and all of the tragic deaths you read about in CDC and other reports will overwhelmingly have one or more of these factors present.
If you live with one or more of these you should not have a gun. Otherwise I would recommend a shotgun with birdshot (less penetration danger) and/or a 38 revolver (simple, reliable) and by all means have a good flashlight.

516 John lo April 22, 2010 at 2:54 am

Bravo to AOM. True men take steps to protect those they care about, not cower in a corner somewhere at the thought of doing what the situation requires in a world where armed home invasions are a reality. Guns are tools. To shun guns would be shunning an important development in human evolution. Might as well shun matches because they can be used by arsonists and oh there’s that good old tried and true method of rubbing two sticks together.

517 Chris April 25, 2010 at 10:47 pm

I can’t believe how misconstrued this all has been! This was an FYI article as are all the articles. and Across the board( I don’t care where you come from) defense of family and home are manly. You could do it with a five iron or a spear… OR a gun but this article in NO way said, “To be manly, buy a gun and kill people”. The reactionism and lack of effort to understand the writer here is astounding and profoundly UNManly!! Shame on you alarmists for missing the whole point of this very helpful post.

I have been shooting guns since I was 6 and have a strong understanding of how they are used, cleaned, assembled and disasembled. What they can and can’t do and for all the scared inexperienced people reacting to this, I totally understand how gun advocacy of ANY kind, even the mere suggesting of them for ANYTHING could be unsettling BUT, I think you have missed the point entirely and have failed to read the author onhis own terms first then leveling a critique that is both fair AND relevant to the intention of the author.

He could have just as well done a history project for you on the defense of home from all recorded history and told you to choose from martial arts to spear fighting in Africa But from the tenor of the responces I’m sure some one would have said, “that’s terrible advice (Though not advice at all but merely a list of offencive options as opposed to panic rooms etc.. which would be purely defencive), fighting is wrong, let them kill you”. I have been attacked in the street by three men from a mob of twenty just a month ago on the streets and choose not to fight back as it would have probable gotten me killed, though I have plenty of Martial arts training in ground fighting and Kick boxing. It was better not to escalate the problem as I was taken from behind and had a large bag on and was grounded on my hip. I was however because of my training able to protect myself in the disadvantage position (as Brazillian Jiu Jitsu starts from) and sustain minimal injury and go home to my Wife and two babies. So I’m no -pretender on the subject of self and home defence and gun safety. I was patroling the article for “dumb things said” but found none as I actually understood the point of the article. So back off ivory tower non-combabtants and alarmists and slippery slope speculators who prognosticate from ignorance and the assumed moral high ground. You don’t know how you will feel on the day someone makes a victem out of you so go easy on those who would protect their families with force , If they should choose to to so. Grace and Peace.

518 Dan April 26, 2010 at 12:39 pm

I disagree with the majority of comments here; this article is responsible more than it is careless. The issue of firearms is a touchy one, especially in today’s modern world. But to blurt opinions as facts, to say that a phone is always a better choice when one’s home is being invaded and one’s life and family are being threatened, may not be the best advice. For instance, Australia’s recent gun ban produced these results: http://www.geoffmetcalf.com/aus.html which include armed robberies up 44% nation-wide.
Now I am not going to beat my chest and pretend to be Charleton Heston and say that we each need to arm ourselves to the teeth. Nor am I necessarily stating that having guns makes someone safer, because a gun in a home certainly leaves open the possibility for accidents (children LOVE playing with things that they’re not allowed to play with). But this article is meant for advice for someone who is *already* looking for a weapon; that person has weighed the pro’s and con’s and is now looking for advice for what firearm would be best suited for home defense, and this article is offering that knowledge. Further, it stresses that the soon-to-be-owner seek education and safety – it is the careless gun owner that is most likely to meet tragedy. Locking the firearm up, unloaded with the ammo separated, and keeping children away from it are only a few of the many necessary steps for owning a firearm and being safe at all times.
It is always better to know more about something dangerous and to respect it for what it can do, rather than to try to stay far away from it and hope it never comes near. If that were the case, our ancestors would never have learned how to harness fire (and indeed, how many people are killed by house fires every month?).

519 Rambo April 27, 2010 at 11:20 am

These have been the most disheartening and eyeopening man-blog respones I think I have ever come across. To assert that owning a gun will catalyze the occurence of a firearm tragedy is utter malarkey. The irony of the assertion lies in the fact that, purchasing a firearm is specifically meant to prevent a tragedy from occuring. Only in small, uncommon instances will the latter incident occur (a tragedy, that is). I came across this article when I decided to squeeze my cojones and buy myself a serious piece of heat–but having read the first few responses to this entirely helpful, and apt posting, I first needed to hit the gym in order to regain the testosterone I had lost whilst reading some of the other, more estrogenic, responses. My advice to those skeptics who question the validity and safety of owning a gun: nothing makes one feel more Schwarzenagian then wielding a .45 mm excalibur in a glistening ray of adorning sun. Guns are good when handled properly and with responsibility. If you need gun ownership advice, and tips on how to use one, may I suggest Terminator’s 1, 2 and 3. All Rambos, of course, being the quintessential “How To” guides. American liberty was founded, and preserved, on the right to own weapons–that’s why we are the best, toughest, manliest nation around. For those “internationals” reading this blog–take a second to question your sexuality and hit the gym.

520 John April 27, 2010 at 11:27 am

@Rambo, obvious troll is obvious.

521 Rambo April 27, 2010 at 11:47 am

These have been the most disheartening and eyeopening man-blog respones I think I have ever come across. To assert that owning a gun will catalyze the occurence of a firearm tragedy is utter malarkey. The irony of the assertion lies in the fact that, purchasing a firearm is specifically meant to prevent a tragedy from occuring. Only in small, uncommon instances will the latter incident occur (a tragedy, that is). I came across this article when I decided to squeeze my cojones and buy myself a serious piece of heat–but having read the first few responses to this entirely helpful, and apt posting, I first needed to hit the gym in order to regain the testosterone I had lost whilst reading some of the other, more estrogenic, responses. My advice to those skeptics who question the validity and safety of owning a gun: nothing makes one feel more Schwarzenagian then wielding a .45 mm excalibur in a glistening ray of adorning sun. Guns are good when handled properly and with responsibility. If you need gun ownership advice, and tips on how to use one, may I suggest Terminator’s 1, 2 and 3. All Rambos, of course, being the quintessential “How To” guides. American liberty was founded, and preserved, on the right to own weapons–that’s why we are the best, toughest, manliest nation around. For those “internationals” reading this blog–take a second to endorse your masculinity and hit the gym.

522 Neto April 27, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I live in South Africa and have to look at the option of buying a weapon for self-protection.j OUr natonal murder rate is 8x as high as the international average, not to speak of house invations and rape of white woman by black men, The police force is nearly worthless under the nuew dispensation. They might be able to help IF your’re attacked at home and have the time to phone them. But what if you’re outside in your back yard (our back yards are huge in SA, so you might be 30-40m away from your house – many people are attacked in this way), and what about the many, many car jackings at T-junctions or robots? And we have such wonderful nature, but can’t enjoy it because of attack on us and our families by blacks (in 95% of cases).

The only possibility is carrying a compact pistol with you. So, thank you for the article. I shot with a friend’s Glock .40 today. Wonderfully light and just the right size for me. I don’t own a handgun yet, only an Air Arms TX200 air rifle. So thanks for the info.

523 JG April 28, 2010 at 3:34 am

An unarmed (law-abiding) population is a society easily dictated over. I would rather respond first than wait 5+ minutes for the police to contain the situation. 5 minutes could mean the death of your spouse, your kids, and you.

Even holding and aiming a gun can be enough of a deterrent, let alone squeezing the trigger.

Decent article, but you should have mentioned that bigger is not better. Break-ins and subsequent struggles are adrenaline-filled and un-choreographed. Having a shotgun is fine and dandy, but try turning in a hallway or when the attacker is closer than 4 feet. Likewise, emptying a clip of .50AE or 6 .500S&W’s can cause collateral damage; example, you live in a townhouse and the bullets would easily go through the shared wall and anything that is behind it.

A shotgun is good if you live in an open-concept home. From the ten’s of pellets (or hundreds–depending on the shot), all it takes is one. Other than that, a 9mm is easy enough to handle but lacks knock-down power. Therefore I say a .45ACP is a perfect fit to protect your family.

Simply,
-JG

524 Wes May 7, 2010 at 2:43 am

I dont usually post comments on blogs but I stumbled on this website whille doing some research on guns for home defense, very good article btw, I couldnt believe how many people commented that it was bad to advise people on guns for home protection, Im sorry but the “phone” is not always good enough to save your life all I can say is read this article http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/12/09/earlyshow/main5949873.shtml and then try telling me that it would of been ok to not have guns in the home for protection, Im not sure how quickly the police respond in the UK but here in the USA they cant magically get to your house in 30 secounds and it would take less than that for an intruder to kill you and your family, not even to mention the fact that there are people who live in rural areas such as myself that on the occassion the police were needed in our area it took the sheriff over 30 mins to arrive and that was with him speeding down the highway as fast as he could, if you feel its safer to depend solely on your phone and police to save you go for it but for those of us who live in the real world and know that it wouldnt be enough if someone is breaking into your harm with the intentions of hurting you and your family.

525 Dan May 7, 2010 at 8:36 pm

The old saying “when guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns”. How are you going to stop outlaws from having guns…you can’t. We have a right to bear arms only because men bearing arms gave us that right. Here in KS city there are a lot of home invasions while the residents are home, the intruders using weapons..some of the residents being shot and/or killed. I have not read ONE incident where any of the residents defended themselves with a firearm…simply because they didn’t have one??? I don’t know. Calling the police is fine, but it takes time for them to respond. Personally, I’d rather defend myself in the meantime. If the good citizen gives up his guns, the criminals WITH the guns will be LESS afraid to attack you or your residence, knowing that you probably don’t have one because it is illegal for YOU to have one. The only reason it is considered manly to have a gun is because mostly it is men who use them..and it is just part of our heritage. I know a lot of women who own guns and are by far manly.

526 Henry May 8, 2010 at 11:19 am

Here in Melbourne, Australia we have very strict gun laws, you cant have a semi-auto, and to owe a hand gun is very difficult, you need to do regular tests and jump through hoops! You can have a pump action shotgun or rifle, bolt lock and load style, heck you could own a rifle powerful enough to take down an elephant or bigger! But not a firearm that would allow you to get off many rounds!

You very very rarely hear of gun battles in Melbourne, and if you do, there usually not much for firepower! The only big ass firepower we have is the media and there bullshit,
can you believe that the Australian (Thugforce) Police have now been issues with semi autos! And the media crap hype was because they are unevenly balanced with the criminals!

What????? That is the biggest Load of crap ever! You should of seen the monkey on TV in the blue uniform firing those rounds off – Dam freak was itching to use it in real life! Freak – I cant stand Cops that are irresponsible and disrespectful and above all dangerous!

You can’t stop everything and if you think you can take away peoples right to defend themselves then try to run there lives – I have one word for you ….Ninja (Look up the meaning shit heads!)

527 JT May 9, 2010 at 2:16 am

A few comments about Guns. While I personally don’t own any guns at this time – if I do get a safe someday, I plan to put a gun in it.

I agree the article should have touched a little more on safety and especially securing a gun.

That said, some people are way too domesticated these days. If you live in a rural area, picking up the phone isn’t going to help if your house is being broken into. If a wild animal gets into your yard and threatens your family or pets, again, the phone isn’t going to save their life.

In countries where citizens can’t bear arms, during any kind of disaster, criminals will be able to do as they please without any fear – that is scary to me. Additionally, in a disaster, food won’t magically appear at the grocery store – if you have to fend for yourself, I’d think it would be useful to be able to get your own meat.

Unless you are completely confident that someone else is going to protect you and provide for you, it’s hard to criticize a man that wants to own a gun.

All of this said, I’d hope no one ever needs to use a gun.

528 American Woman May 9, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Wow, what a bunch of commie fruits! May I suggest MarthaStewart.com?

529 joe May 10, 2010 at 10:11 am

For all you anti gunners out there i have one thing to say. We have been defending ourselves scince we made fire, and because the world has gone to crap ever scince, we still need to defend ourselves from rapists and murderers. criminals will always have guns! Do you think they go to Ruger.com and order a gun with thier capital one? NO! They hang around a pawn shop till it closes to throw a rock and break the window to take the guns! DUH! Or they get a crate of uzis from Cuba from the commies! taking away our guns will just make us, the law abiding citizens the victims! why? because we will have no guns to defend ourselves while some drunk rapes our wives!

530 Mark May 10, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Sir,
A friend of mine sent me this article via email.
After reading this article I’ve added myself to your email list.
Keep up the good work!
@ American Woman – You summed it up rather nicely.

531 norman May 10, 2010 at 10:40 pm

I dont agree that you should store youre defence gun in a safe unloaded. What good does it do you if you have to get a light, open a safe and load it, while the bad guy is already stabbing your wife. I keep a mossy 500 3 inch magnum with all the goodies on it by my bed ready to rock ‘n roll. Better judged by 12 than carried by six. (jury of 12 or six pallbearers). Where I live you defend yourself in your home and nobody gets upset about it and looks at you and whispers “thats the man that shot the armed convict that was robbing his house! My town is so small we just barely have a weekly paper let alone strict gun laws. A real man will defend his family, not cower in the corner and watch his wife and child get raped!

532 Bob May 11, 2010 at 4:43 pm

First off, I have to say I am pretty offended by some of the stereotypes posted about Americans on this site. Not all of us have or want guns, in fact there are only a few people I know (out of hundreds) that actually have a gun. Also, I do not have a gun now, but when I own a home, I will. I realize that statistically allowing guns to be bought by the public is a bad thing (more gun deaths, most criminals get their guns by robbing regular citizens who have guns, and many accidental gun death), and that some men buy a gun just to show off. However, if a gun is properly stored (unloaded and locked away) there is almost no danger of accidental gun deaths or having the gun stolen by a criminal. In addition, I have two good reason why guns should be legal to purchase. One is the very reason guns are legal in America is so if the government becomes too powerful and starts to do bad things, the people will be able to overthrow it much easier. I AM IN NO WAY SAYING THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE OVERTHROWN AT THIS TIME AND I BELIEVE OBAMA IS DOING A GOOD JOB. My second reason I want a gun is because of a personal experience. A home in my town was invaded by two men who raped and then burned a mother and two daughters and severely beat the husband before being arrested. Now me and the other good citizens in this country pay for their food and shelter, while lawyers shelter murders for money. Those men should have been killed on the spot, a gun would have allowed this to happen and maybe even saved three innocent lives.

533 Jeddy May 12, 2010 at 1:50 am

Let’s get back to ‘common-sense’ everyone! Gun-ownership (esp. here in the USA) is the reason why criminal-minded people don’t just do whatever they want to do whenever they want to! Yes, even Police have to respect (or fear) gun-owners…What is wrong with that? Firearms SHOULD be allowed to be purchased and owned by ANYONE WITHOUT A FELONY CRIMINAL-RECORD. Common-sense? I Believe so! Also, .357 magnum revolvers may have nasty-recoil using full-powered rounds, but you can also use .38 ammo in them to and have a reliable way to shoot and hit without worrying about “jamming”. For serious, no-b.s. home-defense, a 12-gauge shotgun (your choice of action and ammo) is tops! Just my input…God bless us who realize the importance of gun-ownership…

534 todd b May 12, 2010 at 2:39 pm

Being an ex-marine, I have several guns. My goto gun would have to be my Colt Combat Commander . 45 ACP ’nuff said.

535 Anton G. May 13, 2010 at 4:02 am

If you don’t reside in America then please reserve your judgments of our gun issues to yourselves. Our constitution requires us to be alert to and be able to defend the U.S.A. against all adversaries both external and internal. Therefore; we have very liberal gun laws. I have German family and it makes sense to me that they don’t have guns. But for an American, it essential for the sane law-abiding citizen to own a gun. Why? Because there are over 300,000,000 guns in the U.S. The criminals will never overwhelm the law-abiding citizens as long as they are killed with firearms when embarking in liffe-threatening crime. And….. unlike any other nation, we can overthrow our own government if it becomes too tyranical. Our army and paramilitary can not and probably would not even try to overcome the comman-mans firepower. Our nation is safe in the long-run because we can kill anyone who threatons it.

536 blake May 13, 2010 at 4:46 am

the “logic” of the anti-gun nuts comes down to one concept; “if something is unlikely to happen, you shouldn’t take precautions”.

so never have an earthquake/flood/disaster kit, dont save money for a sudden emergency, and swim in pools during lightning storms!

I realize that the likelihood that i will not only need to, but also be in the position to defend my family is quite slim. but i also realize that i would consider my life worthless if that rare event did occur and i wasnt prepared. i also realize the small likelihood of a gun accident would be just as devastating, and that concerns me equally.

i guess certain people just want to pray the situation never arises, and write off all of the terrible murders that occur in their respective countries where self-defense would have made a difference. im not sure how to spin that as manly, but zealots always find a way!

537 Mike May 13, 2010 at 4:45 pm

@Neto
You are a racist basterd

538 norman May 13, 2010 at 9:42 pm

I hate you anti gun people with every fiber of my bieng. you dumbasses need to return to your own planet along with all the athiest sientists that think we come decended from monkeys! America was defended by guns scince the revolutionary war! do you think we won our wars inviting the enemy in for tea and talking it over like women?! No! we stood our ground and fought! Did you know that during ww2 the japanese decided not to invade the west and east coasts because citizens were thought to have guns?! What about the ragheads wer’er fighting now? they have planes and ships!! Who screwd you people in the brain?! yourselves? How do you think criminals get guns? Do you thing they go to ruger.com and buy one with their mom’s capital one?! NO! the hang around a pawn shop till it closes and break in! You will never prevent gun ownership by criminals!

539 Frank May 16, 2010 at 2:27 pm

You men sound like a bunch of little old ladies. Are you afraid of guns or of everyone elseon the planet? Why have a gun? Because the criminals are well armed. Shouldnt you be as well? Burgalars, car jackers, rapists, ARMED robbers, home invaders, and a lot of chicken shit thugs as well are all carrying guns. If you take the time to study, and investigate the purchase of a gun, and then do the responsible thing and take a CCW class, you can start going on with your life and stop being afraid of what you read.

540 John W May 19, 2010 at 10:58 am

As an armed citizen who grew up with guns in the house, and as a veteren Soldier, I have only three things to say. 1. I like the article. I think that you should go a little further in depth on this subject. Not so much into the political side of it (to keep peace between those who do and those who don’t). 2. The one who posted the comment about how owning guns was illegal unless you were in a well-regulated militia needs to check his laws again. 3. Gun ownership WAS AND STILL IS a big part of the male culture, so to speak.

By the way, a phone is not the best defense against a home invasion.

541 norman May 21, 2010 at 12:34 pm

i am a responsible gun owner. i keep a loaded mossy 500 by my bed an am ready to go.anti gunners need to go back to their home planet.

542 norman May 21, 2010 at 12:50 pm

All i can say is anti gunners, dich the tampons and grow a pair! Would you: A: defend your family with a gun, B: Call the cops and wait ten minutes, Or C: cower in a corner and watch someone kill you loved ones. My answere is A.

543 norman May 21, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Here’s a tribute to anti gunners: O anti gunners O anti gunners, your stupid as can be-e. O anti gunners ,O anti gunners, grow a pair between your Legs. you’d call the cops, instead of fight, while someone kills you in the night. O anti gunners, O anti gunners, Please pull your head out of your A-ASS

544 Jack goldman May 21, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Good article. I hope the gun owning US of A Americans don’t have to die to rescue the subjects of the crown, the Brits, who would be speaking German now if America didn’t send lots of guns to save their nation. People without guns are called victims. On the other hand the Iraqis had a lot of guns and that didn’t help them from laser guided missiles dropped from 50,000 feet. Guns are like fire, good when used properly. I have hunted, killed big game, and been a vegetarian. Irresponsible gun use, alcohol use, and voting are all equally dangerous. Thanks for the good article. I have guns. I will get more guns. People don’t feel safer with guns. People ARE safer with guns. Protect yourself. No one else can or will. Let freedom ring.

545 Pete May 21, 2010 at 7:12 pm

To purchase a firearm for protection, is basically screaming “I’m a bitch that can’t take care of myself”. By the way, you went and got all the hillbillies excited… nice job.

546 norman May 22, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Well, pete, your a bitch that cant take care of yourself! If you dont like our american heritage then go join the commies!

547 norman May 22, 2010 at 10:00 pm

mabeye your old lady that probably has bigger balls than you do will step up to the plate if someone breaks in your house.

548 norman May 22, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Yeah, a phone is great. you lose cell service and the crook cuts the power to your house. What do you do then? WAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! I WANT MY MOMMY! I WISH I HAD A GUN, OR AT LEAST A PAIR OF BALLS!

549 Philip S. May 23, 2010 at 11:55 pm

Firearm possesion is not about being manly. It is all about being intelligent! My suggestion for all that are unarmed is to copy/paste this address: http://www.twinbuttebunch.org/index.php?fuseaction=misc.sendguns
Home security isn’t just about your own home. You really should think about this before you redicule gun ownership. All you Brits that are antigun advocates need to read this most.
Stupidity breeds Stupidity!

550 Wess May 24, 2010 at 12:43 am

I’ve had respect for guns pretty much all my life. You know why? Because my dad let me fire his if I wanted. Shot my first .44 magnum around age 10. Some of the people here are cowering in fear over a tool that can do both good and bad. A child or adult can kill someone with a chainsaw, too. Should we ban those? You don’t hide the world from kids to protect them. You satisy their curiosity while at the same time teaching them how to make good choices and be responsible.

It’s been said many times already — cops aren’t just 30 seconds away. Heck, my aunt lives on the edge of a national forest. She keeps a shotgun around because she gets bears walking in her yard. What would you guys have her do if a bear attacks? Call the cops who might get there in 20 minutes on a good day? Maybe spray it with some Mace? Not all threats to your life are human, you know.

Put a sign out front that says “no guns allowed,” and you’ll know where the criminals will be since they have no fear of being shot. Law-abiding citizens are the only ones hurt by heavy gun laws. Criminals don’t care about gun laws. That’s why they are called criminals.

551 norman May 24, 2010 at 6:22 pm

You anti’s can’t take eveyone’s guns. Do you wonder what would happen if you did? try and take mine and you’ll get a free sample.

552 Heinrich May 28, 2010 at 2:16 am

Wow! The Lefties are really disturbed by the idea of self reliance. I came to this country specifically for that idea and appreciate that I have the right, not the privelege, but the right to defend myself. I don’t want the government to babysit me. They do a bad job of it given the chance. Worse, they will control you with the “father knows best” attitude. No thank you! I can tell you that the criminals in your country don’t give a damn about any laws and will have as many guns as they want and do as they please. Let freedom reign!

553 norman May 28, 2010 at 3:59 pm

Amen to that Heinrich!!!!!!!

554 Drew May 29, 2010 at 3:45 pm

@Tom and Jimmy- Quite honestly, you’re idiocy astounds me. “please write less about how to kill and threaten people.” Can you read? The article is “home defense” not “Home offense” or “city streets offense.” It is about if someone comes into YOUR home with the intent of harming YOUR family. Not threatening an innocent bystander on the street.

The best defense is a phone? I live in metro atlanta. The response time for a code 1 call (I.E. a robbery of a store, where the cops actually have a chance of reaching the scene before the bad guy leaves, is 11 minutes. the response time for a home invasion? around 15mins. What are you going to do in those 15 minutes? Have a cup of tea with the person that broke into your home to hurt your family or take your posessions?

I’ve called the cops before when someone came into my house. It took them 25 minutes to get there, and I drive by the police station on my way to work every way. It’s about 5 minutes away doing the speed limit. If I hadn’t had a gun who knows what would’ve happened.

Not to mention, this article SPECIFICALLY states to get training before purchasing any firearm.

Art of Manliness, keep doing what you’re doing. Don’t let these morons get in your way.

555 norman May 29, 2010 at 9:24 pm

YEEEEEEEEHHHHHHAAAAAAWWWW!

556 WORLD B SAFE May 30, 2010 at 12:35 am

I PREFER THE SHOTGUN, FINALLY A COMPANY FOUND A WAY TO GIVE ME ACCESS. CHECK-OUT http://WWW.THE-BACKUP.COM ABSOLUTELY AWESOME, I ORDER ONE FOR EACH SIDE OF THE BED.

557 Jesse June 3, 2010 at 12:10 pm

From reading some of the comments I can see that a few of you have never really been in harms way.. The guy robbing you/threatning you more than likely has a gun and if you dont than he holds your life in his hands. Ask an officer. in a event you need a gun you need it loaded and you need it near you.

558 norman June 4, 2010 at 6:05 pm

Hey guys, notice how the antis stopped commenting? Heh, guess we showed them what for! By the way, Jesse, your right about keeping a gun loaded. What good does an unloaded gun do you if the guy is already looking you if the face and you have to fiddle with a safe and load it ? although i do think the guns you dont use for defense like hunting rifles and such you should keep in a safe so that no one can steal them while your out. also, a pickup window gun rack is like putting up a sign that says “break my window and take my gun!” i keep an sks /w/ tactical stock with a full 30 rnd. clip of armor piercing cartidges by my bed ready for anyone who questions the supremacy of us gun enthusiasts!:)

559 Tyler June 8, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Thank you so much for the great article. To all you naysayers out there: in november 2008 the amount of gun sales sky rocketed and murder rates dropped by over 7.8%. Pretty amazing when somone actually defends them selves they are not harmed. WOW!

560 Blade June 9, 2010 at 8:12 am

i didnt read every comment, but the best to have around the house is without a doubt the pump shot gun. nothing will get someone’s attention like the sound of putting one in the chamber (even if the gun is empty)

561 Born to Kill June 9, 2010 at 11:02 pm

I first learned about firearms back in 3rd grade. My Dad bought be a Daisy Red Ryder BB gun. For the first time we were at the range was one of the happiest moments up until marriage and kids.
I know take my kids shooting. My 10 yr old now has his own Winchester single-shot .22 cal. She gets one bullet at a time so she can concentrate. She is a natural born shooter. At times she’s met college coaches at tournaments, just saying hello but someday she will be applying for shooters scholarship. She’s a true genius who could go far into the military defense alliance

562 Chris June 12, 2010 at 1:34 am

Just wanted to add my feelings towards those “nancy’s” whining about guns. It’s a right to own a gun. I own one and know how to be responsible with one. I’d much rather have a gun in my home if I and my family were in a position to not use a phone. Sean who commented above hit the nail on the head about you feminine guys. Maybe this blog isn’t for you.

563 Ashleigh June 15, 2010 at 4:23 am

I’m intrigued by all the comments left on this blog. I was directed to this article while searching for recommendations on purchasing a handgun. I’m a female, and where I live, I have to be 21 to be able to carry a handgun on my person or buy one. I intend to buy one on my 21st birthday and am doing my research two years in advance so I can make the right decision. I think that what’s important is not whether or not guns should be used in a household, but whether or not society is teaching gun safety. I approach each and every gun I fire with a respect greater than I’ve given any person, because I know in one false move any gun can ruin or end my life. Just something to consider.

Also – since when does owning a gun determine gender neutrality? I’m a female, but I’m also realistic. I realize that I will be living on my own for a bit and want a handgun not only as protection, but as recreation to take to the range and fire a few rounds into a cardboard box. I also enjoy pedicures once a month and am definitely NOT a tomboy… Part of being responsible with a gun is thinking responsibly about guns. Having one will not make you a manlier man, it won’t enhance your looks and it sure as hell doesn’t give you a larger penis. In seeking to become a “manlier man,” stay away from guns. For all of our safety.

564 WheelGun June 16, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I stumbled upon this article and began reading the responses, all the while thinking that it would look foolish for me to write my response after almost a year had gone by and the topic had lost steam – then I saw that the article has generated nearly a year’s worth of controversy that does not seem to be letting up!

First of all – the ideal home defense weapon (after nearly 25 years of police/military/emergency medical experience) is the plain-old mid-20th century standard police sidearm – a six-shot, 4-inch barrel, fixed-sight (non-adjustable sight) .38 caliber Smith and Wesson revolver such as the Military and Police Model 10.

However, the purpose of any handgun is simply to give the individual time to fight his or her way to a long gun, namely a 12 or 20 gauge pump shotgun of any reliable U.S. manufacturer.

As far as anti-gun opinions, I respect your decision not to own or carry a firearm, as long as you respect my decision to own and carry one.

I lived as a child in a neighborhood in New York City that was being encroached on all sides by an increasingly criminal element. In the years prior to my family being able to afford to move to a more desirable area, the fact that the fathers in the neighborhood were gun owners was the only sense of security any of us had. The police were overwhelmed, the criminals (nearly) fearless. The only fact that they respected (and feared) was the instant threat of injury or death by the hands of law-abiding family men.

Needless to say, when I set out to start a family of my own, I was determined not to do so in any area that could be described as ‘tough’ in any way. My wife and I have raised our children in a suburban area, and later a rural area. Both could be described as relatively quiet and peaceful.

Why do I continue to own and carry firearms? Perhaps it is somwhat of a habit – having been in law enforcement and (still in) the military, and having spent significant amounts of time in rural (pro-gun) areas – does make the presence of a sidearm very familiar and natural.

Yet it is something more inherent in my personality, upbringing and experience that causes me to do so.

When I moved from the rough urban area of my youth to supposed suburban tranqulity, I began meeting people that seemed to have something very odd in common. That of a very quiet sort of victimization.

Many of the friends I had made and the women I dated (all who had been raised in more ‘desireable’ areas) had been vicimized in ways that I had not experienced as a city kid.

I came to the conclusion that the overwhelming display of force put on by our civilian, homeowner, family-men dads had chased away another element as well – the quiet vicimizers of children that do not wear gang colors or break into houses. They are the molesters, the bullies, the predators that operate under the radar until they find an unsuspecting child to prey upon.

They were also scared away by dad’s guns.

My teenage daughter was recently looking through a collection of family photos on the computer (how times have changed!) and came across a photo of me holding a rifle (how times have not changed!). She made a slightly disparaging comment about the gun, abruptly dropped the subject, and then moved on to the next photo of the family pet, and the next photo of a family trip, and so on…

Later, I took her outside for a walk aroud our property (we have since moved to the country), not for the sake of going for a walk, but of having a ‘talk’. I asked her questions I hoped I knew the answers to.

I asked if she had ever been a victim.

No, she had not. Not in any way.

Why do you think that is, I asked?

What followed was an open, honest, very blunt discussion about respect, and it’s acceptable alternative, fear.

Most human beings you encounter in life will have an innate sense of respect for thier fellow humans. However, some will not.

Some will see the young, the small, the weak, the unprepared, the outnumbered, as nothing but potential victims. It happens in every community, rich and poor, fancy and plain, urban and rural.

My daughter ended up simply pointing to the ever present sidearm on my hip. “All the nice people in this community respect you and Mom,” she said.

“The few low-lives around here are afraid of you.”

A deadly weapon, legally carried, is not only a deadly weapon.

My sidearm is a symbol of my ability and willingness to offer protection to the young and weak, of protection of my family, a symbol of my willingness to assist a friend, neighbor or innocent stranger from victimization by those that would show no respect to a fellow human being.

My sidearm is very real and very deadly. It is also a symbol of my freedom.

565 Michael June 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Being a man means taking on certain responsibilities. As a man, I have a responsibility to provide protection to my self, family and loved ones. I do this by carrying a pistol, everyday. I put it on when I get dressed, I take it off when I go to bed.

On the responsibility to provide protection: My wife has made the decision to build on the training she received from her father on firearms and also carry a pistol.

“to permit murder when one could have prevented it is morally wrong. To allow a rape when one could have hindered it is an evil. To watch an act of cruelty to children without trying to intervene is morally inexcusable. In brief, not resisting evil is an evil of omission, and an evil of omission can be just as evil as an evil of commission. Any man who refuses to protect his wife and children against a violent intruder fails them morally.”
J.P. Moreland

To defend your loved ones is manly. You get to decide the tool with which you will use, that’s freedom.

On the content of the article, if anyone wants another opinion on choice for defensive tools.
We keep a shotgun in the bedroom, accessible.
Reason: If there is an intruder in the house (or trying to get in), and all family are gathered we will barricade in place in the bedroom, with the shotgun and wait for Law Enforcement to arrive.
We also have our pistols (I have mine, she has hers) accessible.
Reason: If there is an intruder in the house (or trying to get in), and a family member, ie a child needs to be collected and brought to the barricaded place the pistol is a better tool. It’s shorter length and one handed opperation give me the ability to move around corners easier and/or accomplish other tasks one handed while still maintaining functional control of the weapon. For instance, I could carry a child and be able to use my weapon at the same time.

In closing, a note to all the freedom loving American brothers. Don’t hate the euros for their ignorance. They’ve been brainwashed for generations, they do not respect or understand the right to use a firearm for defense. That is why they do not have the right to do so. Our founding fathers saw that the selfishness of politicians would one day threaten the freedoms of the citizens, that is ONE reason why the right is protected by the constitution.

566 Drew Manning June 25, 2010 at 11:10 am

Great Article. Thank goodness in the US we still have the right to keep and bear arms.

567 A.T. June 25, 2010 at 1:46 pm

What bugs me is that people (particularly in Europe) always say such ignorant things when it comes to firearms. Like “if you have a gun, you’re much more likely to be shot.” No, you’re MUCH MORE LIKELY TO SHOOT THE CROOK WHO’S INVADING YOUR HOME. If you don’t have a weapon, you’re putty in his hands, cattle for the slaughter, as easy to squash as an ant on the ground. I wonder if any of the liberals, both here at home and abroad, would feel the same way about guns if THEIR homes were invaded, THEIR valuables stolen, THEIR families slaughtered before their eyes, just because they were too blinded by idealism to take measures to protect themselves. As Mikey so aptly pointed out last year, as the Second Amendment of our Constitution aptly states, a well-regulated militia is necessary for the security of a free state, and to secure the safety and rights of the people. This is still a dangerous world, full of depraved and villainous people. With a gun, you’ve the means to keep yourself and your livelihood safe. Without a gun, you’re a sitting duck.

568 A.T. June 25, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Please excuse the rant, I get rather passionate about these things. I just wanted to add that I enjoyed the article thoroughly, and thought it showed splendid taste, was particularly relevant, and deftly compared and contrasted the advantages and disadvantages of each home-defense tool presented. Quite a useful piece, and I appreciate it, and applaud you for not deleting it in the face of all this criticism. Thank you, sir. This is indeed a manly blog.

569 Levi June 25, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I agree, a phone would be excellent.. until the CRIMINAL in your HOUSE starts to try to RAPE YOUR WIFE AND DAUGHTERS!!! you antis are idiots. Guns don’t kill people, people kill people. If you have the proper training and have taken the right courses guns are perfectly safe, along with proper storage of the firearm and bullets. but really? You’re gonna wait for the cops to show up when there could be a dangerous thief, druggy, rapist, or murderer is in your house????? Or you just gonna throw the phone at his head?

570 Joe Gray June 26, 2010 at 11:06 pm

I hope all of you rednecks loose your rights to guns, only the military and police should have rights to guns. GO OBAMA

571 Dan June 28, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Well first out of the gate and the article gets a response from a fool that still thinks the ‘facts’ used by ‘Gun Control Inc’ in the mid 90s are anything other than bs. The ignorance of anything leads to fear and hatred, namely the fools who wish to ban firearms. Towards you ‘Joe Gray’, you must live in a low crime city or neighborhood, or perhaps you are simply foolish. Surely if the law says something is illegal than no one will have the contraband. Wait, prohibition failed, the ‘war on drugs’ is floundering, and ‘illegal fireworks’ are set off each year. Yep laws work so well. The average response time of police is about 15 minutes in my hometown, I can literally walk to the police station in 10 minutes. Keep your damned ‘hope’ and ‘change’, I’ll keep my guns. Try and disarm me and I’ll put you in the grave. Deo Vindice!

572 Alex June 28, 2010 at 3:36 pm

After reading some of these comments i can tell many of the people that commented don’t have much experience with firearms. And if you would rather your wife be raped and murdered because you felt it wrong to stop another human being from doing so thats your problem.

573 norman June 28, 2010 at 4:31 pm

don’t worry joe, even though you hate guns, god still loves ya. he just loves us that do love guns more! By the way, obama sucks just as mauch as you do. good to know whos willing to strap on a helmet and grab a rifle to defend our country when the time comes and who will be hiding in a bush like a guttless turd! Who will be hiding? ignorant little shits like you!

574 norman June 28, 2010 at 4:34 pm

remember antis, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away:)

575 James June 30, 2010 at 3:22 pm

I believe your article was a nice overview of firearms. I’m sure it was not ment to be a indepth study of them; which is why you provided links to other websights. It is the Man’s responsibility to defend himself, his loved ones and his property from those who have decided to do him harm. If the other commenters do not wish to use firearms, then don’t. They have a choice.

By the way..how fast could you neutralize and intruder that means to do you harm, that is standing in your livingroom if front of you, if you are armed with a phone? I hope it’s a very heavy phone and you hit him correctly with it.

I prefer a Mossberg 20 gauge myself.

576 norman June 30, 2010 at 10:00 pm

The only reason kids pick up guns and kill themselves is that they are curious about somthing that is forbidden to them. I was rasied in a firearm houshold where guns were in plain sight and was taught keep your finger off the trigger and treat every gun as if it was loaded. My grandfather was a fire marshall, police officer, and code inspector, and at the end of the day he took off his ruger .45 auto and layed it on his nightstand right where i could see it. He observed how I reacted and what I did. I never touched it. I was not curious about it because it was not forbbiden and was kept away from me, and because we talked about why it was there, what it did and what i’ts for, and I had no reason to be curious. Really, more kids die every day because thier stupid, careless parents let their kids walk to the park at 11.00 at night or they leave thier kids on a bench in the mall and they get kidnapped while their parents are off looking for their overpriced fancy imported tap water than if the child picked up a gun and shot thierself. Come on people, get real and look at the news reports it’s always: ” child abducted from local wal- mart” ” child found tied up in abductor’s car” “Child taken from home”. Never says: “child’s finger prints found on revolver that lay next to his dead body”, does it? if you forbid the gun to the child, they will play with it out of curiosity, because the parent never sat down with them and said,”son, do you know what a gun is?” Wake up, be rational, and use the brain God gave you to think about what could happen if you dont teach your kids what guns are and what theye are capable of.

577 norman June 30, 2010 at 10:43 pm

the only reason kids kill themselves with guns are because the don’t know about them, and because they are forbidden and kept away from them. I was raised in a house where guns were in plain sight, and was not curious about them, because i knew about them. my grandfather was a fire marshall, police officer and code inspector. every night he took off his ruger .45 auto, and layed it down on the table. he observed how I behaved around it. I never touched it. Why? because we had the gun talk and I knew about them. I was taught to treat every gun like it’s loaded, and keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire. Come on people. more kids are killed each day because their stupid, careless parents let them walk to the park at 11:00 at night where street gangs swarm like the maggots they are than if the child finds “Daddy’s Gun” and plays with it. If a child is forbidden, and is kept away from guns, all that does is arouse their curiosity for them. all they know is” Daddy won’t let me near it”, and because of that, they aren’t taught about guns and what theyr’e capable of. The whole world today says: “GUNS KILL KIDS!” That’s because it’s true. Why is it true? Because no one sits down with their kid and says: “Hey son, do you know what a gun is and what they do?” They just lock up their gun and tell the child they’ll spank them if they go near it. Come on people. Your brain does more than fill that big hole in your head. If people would just use their head for somthing besides a hat rack they would see that there IS a way to educate about guns and satisfy a child’s curiosity.then they wouldn’t accidently shoot themselves. The blame of children’s deaths with guns falls at the feet of their parent’s because of no gun education. Put gun saftey first!

578 Chris July 1, 2010 at 12:38 pm

To Jimmy:

Judging by your feminine response, it’s easy to imagine why you are looking to the internet to learn how to be a “man.” I’ll give you a hint…you either have it, or you don’t.

579 norman July 1, 2010 at 3:56 pm

what’s the matter Chris? trying to compensate for somthing, are we?

580 norman July 1, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Just for the record, i read an article in american rifleman magazine, that stated a 11 year old boy was with his mother in their home when a man with a knife burst through their door. the boy was trained in the use of his ruger 10 22, and shot and killed the man, saving his mother from the probable rape that would have occured had he not have killed him. sometimes even adults can’t be quick enough to save their kids. don’t belive that bull shit about you bieng more likley to be shot if you have a gun. that doesn’t even make sense. if you have a gun to defend yourself againts the other dude with a gun, then he will be dead and not able to hurt you. some people say : “if you shoot someone in defense of you or others, your going to jail!” well, better to have your family visit you in jail for the next 10 years than all of them being dead because you acted like a total stranger and did nothing while you kid looked at you and said, “Daddy, do something!” How would you like to remember that for the rest of your life?all that matters is keeping your family safe. I would cut off my own hand before i let my family be killed by trying to play it by the book and wait for the cops. they usually the arrive just in time to draw the chalklines and take pictures. where i live it would take the sherrif at least 20 minutes to get to me. get your LOADED, UNLOCKED gun, get your family and go to the safe room. THEN your wife or kid calls the cops. meanwhile, your gun is pointed and ready for a double tap twoards the door. Anti’s just bother us because all they care about is what makes them money and gets them freinds in washington. Well, what have we learned today? Guns are manly, but using them to protect your family is even manlier. The only kind of man that doesn’t defend his family is a man that doesn’t care.

581 norman July 1, 2010 at 5:41 pm

hey anonymous, what do you care more about, your “surrounding valuables” or your family? not to mention the neibor that gets killed when that hi power round goes throught your wall? a shot gun is best because it’s easier for an obviously unskilled shooter like you to fire and acually hit somthing, and when using bird shot it won’t penetrate your walls. ak47′s are great in movies and for your profile on nogirlfreind.com, but not in defense situations when precision counts.

582 Liam July 3, 2010 at 7:02 pm

I can’t believe what I’m reading, this is offensive – stupid – irresponsible, and wrong.

You people talking about how guns are horrible things and no one should own one. Really? Funny, I was raised around guns, never got shot, my friends never got shot and they were raised around guns, my sons and daughters will be raised around guns…my wife has a gun…I have about 11….Hmm…

Maybe you should think for a second – the phone is the best self defense? Well, I suppose if you think self defense counts as the police searching for the guy after he shoots you with HIS gun and proceeds to take your stuff and rape your wife.

Responsible gun ownership isn’t just about being “manly”, it’s about being RESPONSIBLE. I’m amazed at the anti-gun nonsense attitude these days.

Quit your bitchin’ and go to a gun range. I promise you’ll be a believer in no time.

583 Joe July 3, 2010 at 9:56 pm

Just remember:

Police only show up to help you; after the fact.

If you are not armed, you are a potential victim.

It is better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

The second ammendment has nothing to do with sports or hunting. If you don’t know why READ IT!!!

584 Alex July 10, 2010 at 4:51 am

The phone Pieter? Gimme a break. When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away. Go ahead. Call the police right away buddy. They should be able to get a nice head start on your family’s murder investigation. Its called education and common sense dude. Teach your kids about guns and dont put them where they are going to find them. If you teach your kids proper gun handling and safety and put the fear of God in him/her about dangers of guns and your child still ends up blowing his brains out…well its probably Darwinism at its finest. You’ve failed as a parent at the point.

585 Harry July 13, 2010 at 8:22 am

You anti-gun types on here crack me up. Manliness? Manliness is having the fortitude to do what is right when things get ugly. Having a firearm for the purpose of defending your home and your family is not only your right here in America, but your responsibility. If you live where you cannot obtain one, then that is your misfortune. We do not have an oppressive government here (at least not one we haven’t kept at bay) because our earlier countrymen earned our freedom and rights. I will honor their struggle and valor by keeping on hand the ability to defend my home, my family, and my freedom if necessary. Those of you “manly” men who choose to use a phone are simply shirking off your responsibility to others who have the fortitude to do it. Good luck with that phone when someone comes in your home to kill, rape, steal, or whatever evil men may do. When the police come to clean up what’s left you can sit back and know you could have been a man.

586 norman July 14, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Couldn’t have said it better myself, Harry!

587 John John July 16, 2010 at 12:14 am

Dang. I had no idea so many men were wussies. If you don’t have a gun and a thug decides to break in, what you gonna do? call the police? yeah if you get through on the 911, and then wait 20 minutes til they get there. Meantime you are dead. On the bright side, it does eliminate the weak. Oh btw, a gun is only be brought out if you are going to use it, never for show. Never draw a gun unless you intend to use it, if you draw a guy always use it.

588 Scott July 16, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I cant believe the ignorance of people here, I have defended my life twice with a firearm, saying that youre likely to get shot because you have a gun is ridicules, criminals are punks who hold their guns sideways “cause it be coo” and almost never hit their target unless point blank, and even miss then too on occasions.

And no, its not being a wuss to own a gun, its being smart. with illegal guns from the soviet union running rampant in peoples hands who are already banned from owning then (slapping laws onto laws does not help the situation, only armed and skilled citizens, who act as deterants) their armed with little pocket pistols, are you gonna box them? I’m not, I’m smart, I’ll grab my Saiga-12 and shoot them from 30 yards away, a distance that they cant shoot well with sniper rifles. out-shoot and equip the enemy.

And no, guns are harder to shoot than people think, I would like to see you shoot a 12 gauge super magnum, youl be crying cause you just got knocked on your butt and it “really hurt” your shoulder and rear end.

This goes to Joe Gray, over 70 percent of Americans support the right to bear arms, if you dont like it, move to Cuba or North Korea, youl see first hand what an un-armed society turns into. Hitler disarmed all the jewish people using laws before gasing them, and Stalin disarmed all the peasants, too, they turned into Soviet Russia. A loyalist in colonial America said “We should ban all firearms in the Colonies, but not all at once, as this would give them too fair a warning as to what we are doing, but rather slowly as not to ensue rage.”

Thomas Jefferson said “An armed society is a polite society.” and “The second Amendment is only needed when an oppressor attempts to take it away.” Do you know what that second quote means? It means its necessary to protect freedom, it gives the peoples word, or first amendment, teeth to back it up.

589 James July 16, 2010 at 8:17 pm

I am not sure why anyone is upset about his article. People are less likely to cause you problems if they know the fight is even. If everyone had a gun robberies would be cut in half. If you notice most armed robberies happen to someone who doesn’t have a gun. Even most criminals are smart enough to not rob someone who can shoot back. In Australia they had a gun ban, the results were not what they hoped. Here is a link to those results http://www.geoffmetcalf.com/aus.html do you really want to give up what your equalizer?? Don’t be foolish, you are better off with a gun and taking a gun control course so that you know how to use your firearm effectively.

590 Ron July 18, 2010 at 4:31 am

Those of you who think having a gun in your home is stupid and pointless and illegal? Well the illegal part you don’t know the law. The stupid and pointless part well I hope you never have to find out what it’s like to have some criminla break into your home with the intention of doing great bodily harm to you becasue you’re going to find out that when you dial 911 the police do not instantly appear at your door to save you! Ok sure you say well if nobody had guns there wouldn’t be a problem! SUURE cause a woman in her home can so protect herself from a man twice her size strength, Guns were invented to equalize the playing field so to speak. Look people have been killing people since people first walked the earth. and they will vontibue to do so. Only in the past the weak were preyed upon by the strong. Lets go back to the beginning. If Abel had a gun Cane would have lost the battle! Hey I say get rid of all guns on the planet. cause I am one big boy who would not need a gun if nobody else had one. but as big as I am, I am no match for a little girl with a gun! Unlike any other weapon in history except for the long bow you don’t have to get close to your opponant to figh tthem with a gun so superior fighting skill and strength mean nothing with a gun Little girl can pull a trigger as well as a big man and I have seen plenty of little girls who could outshoot plenty of men. So it’s your right and decision to NOT own a gun if you so choose but again I feel sorry for you when the criminal enters your home in the wee hours of the morning and has his own weapon adn you do not have anything but your phone! GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!

591 Dave July 18, 2010 at 6:49 pm

If a dirtbag decides to invade my HOME , this would be an immediate threat to the loving members of my family and I would surely hope that the dirtbag would ask God for forgiveness. My job would be to arrange that “MEETING” with my .357 TAURUS !!

592 Joe Bob July 18, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Thanks for the article, timely as we all should be preparing for the RESET.

When your state/town has no more cash, forget about calling 911, and your metrosexual neighbor will be busy reading up on this article. Learn how to defend yourself and your family now.

593 Adam July 20, 2010 at 5:21 am

I live in an area that is prone to breakins. We have a Remington 870. The sound of it cocking 95% of the time chases anyone away. the other 5% is covered by a blank and a shout that, that was the warning shot. I do keep a live round after that which I have never had to use but am prepared none the less.

594 Adam July 20, 2010 at 5:31 am

I also recomend, as an alternative, “the Judge”. Found at http://www.taurususa.com . My wife being small has a hard time with the 870 but uses the Judge with ease.

595 norman July 23, 2010 at 1:08 am

Lets ban guns because they hurt people! let’s ban chainsaws because they hurt people, and make loggers use dull bread knives. let’s ban crowbars because they hurt people, and make carpenters use their teeth to pull nails. let’s buy licences to operate electric weed eaters because they’re hurt people. let’s ban retractable utility knives and use our thumbnails to score sheetrock because they hurt people. let’s ban kitchen knives because they hurt people. let’s ban cars because they hurt people. let’s ban the military because they hurt people. let’s ban food because it causes diabetes and hurts people. Let’s ban stairs because you fall and it hurts people. let’s ban five gallon buckets because babies go around sticking their heads in them. let’s ban toasters because they catch your house on fire and hurt people. let’s ban animals because they hurt people. let’s ban walmart bags because children and teens stick their heads in them. let’s ban Call of Duty games because they promote violent kids and upset over- protective mothers. let’s ban copy paper because you cut yourself and it hurts people. let’s move to magical unicorn- barbie- fairy world, drive hybrids, eat tofu, put together cubicles to organize our flavoured teas, put solar panels on our houses, and go to councelors to learn how to make good choices and not say put-downs to others. And for the grand finale, let’s copy Stalin and take away freedom, happiness and the right to vote. Way to go, positive people! keep up the creativity!

596 Ardy Goin July 23, 2010 at 5:35 am

I’m getting pretty tired of the worlds feeble attempt at “nerfing” itself. Bad things happen, i don’t think any amount of control is going to 100% prevent this. I do agree that 4 children a day is 4 too many, but if anything its articles like this that should help the awareness of gun ownership. Guns are tools, and have too much potential for tragedy to think of them as anything else. Last time i checked tools were pretty manly, so i think this fits into this blog well. for the people that read this article and were frightened i guess i would say you should watch the local news from my neck of the woods, because its twice as scary as an introduction to these tools.

597 norman July 23, 2010 at 12:22 pm

If people taught their kids about guns there wouldn’t be 4 deaths a day. without a gun you are a vivtim. where i live ther are bears and stupid country bumpkins that drive around drunk and make trouble. at about 2 a.m. somone came to my gate up the road and shined a spotight in my windows and at my car. i don’t care if i go to jail! better to have your family visit your cell than your tombstone! where i live the sherriff and deputies couldn’t get there fast enough if they had a teleport! if you break in my home you’re going down, and if you get back up i’ll empty the rest of the clip on you, cause you’re sure as hell not going to jail where you can bust out and come back. Buy a gun, throw away the lock that came with it, keep it loaded by your bed, and teach your kids about them instead of locking it away and telling them you’ll punish them if they go near it.

598 Jon July 24, 2010 at 11:32 pm

why own a gun? because i cant convince a cop to come live with me.

599 norman July 25, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Exactly, jon. Finally, an intelligent person on this blog!

600 norman July 25, 2010 at 3:48 pm

we need guns to defend ourselves from the crap that didn’t go down when the toilet flushed that lives out there. But, scince my neighbor is anti gun, i promise not to defend him whith my guns when he comes banging on my door shouting that some guy’s chasing him with a knife and that his phone is broken.