Every Man Needs Adventure

by Brett on December 11, 2008 · 43 comments

in A Man's Life, On Manhood

Editor’s note: This is a guest post from Chris Hutcheson.

Wake up. Head to work. Work. Head Home. Dinner. Sleep. Repeat.

Wake up. Head to work. Work. Head Home. Dinner. Sleep. Repeat.

Wake up. Head to work. Work. Head H……time out. Is this as good as it gets?

What happened to living life to the fullest? Where is the daring adventure that we dreamed about as a kid? Many of us have lost the passion for adventure that filled our childhood, and as real men we should struggle to regain it. For in true adventure we find much more than the cheap thrill of adrenaline, we find ourselves. Adventure is the element of a full life that is perhaps most neglected in modern society, and it is one of the most crucial. To have grand adventures and be able to tell tales of them is central to manliness. The problem is that in our age of technological revolution we have written off adventure and exploration as things of the past, no longer necessary thanks to our newfound, ever evolving capabilities. Although true exploration, in the sense of discovering new things, is now mostly the realm of astronauts and deep sea divers, adventure is available to anyone. What we need to realize is that it is not the discovery of new things that is important for the average man, but the understanding of ourselves which we often acquire through high adventure. Perhaps it is best to look to an old pro in the art of adventure for some insight into the true reasoning behind it.

Sir Wilfred Thesiger (1910-2003), an English explorer best known for his adventures throughout Africa and the Middle East and for adopting the lifestyles of the nomadic people he often stayed with, became famous as the first man to cross the Rub’ al Khali, aka “The Empty Quarter.” The Empty Quarter is one of the largest sand deserts in the world, compromising a large portion of the southern half of the Arabian Peninsula. It is composed of 250,000 square miles of the most deadly terrain on terra firma, with sand dunes that climb well over 1000 feet and summer temperatures over 130 degrees Fahrenheit. Thesiger set out to cross this great expanse and planned to create a map of the region during his journey. He succeeded, crossing the vast unknown of the Empty Quarter not once, but twice, between 1946 and 1949. Recalling the first time he drank water without need to ration it upon his return, he wrote the following;

“For years the Empty Quarter had represented to me the final, unattainable challenge which the desert offered…To others my journey would have little importance. It would produce nothing except a rather inaccurate map which no one was ever likely to use. It was a personal experience, and the reward had been a drink of clean, nearly tasteless water. I was content with that.”

For Thesiger, and for many other adventurers before and long after, it was the adventure itself that was the prize, and the experience gained from it was worth more than any commemoration. He would later write;

“For me, exploration was a personal venture. I did not go to the Arabian Desert to collect plants nor to make a map; such things were incidental. At heart I knew that to write or even to talk of my travels was to tarnish the achievement. I went there to find peace in the hardship of desert travel and the company of desert peoples…It is not the goal but the way there that matters, and the harder the way the more worthwhile the journey.”

Thesiger knew all too well that adventure offered greater rewards for a man than most other things in life. Not rewards in a material sense, but in the immense satisfaction of setting your sights on an achievement and accomplishing it.

Obviously, adventure isn’t what it used to be. Everest has been knocked off more times than you can count, they are paving a highway across the Sahara, and you can check out the secrets of the Amazon by satellite right from your laptop. But does all this mean that adventuring is a lost art? Hardly. As we have seen from testimony of a great adventurer like Thesiger, the thirst for adventure does not come from a need to map out new lands or discover new species, those are secondary objectives. The thirst for adventure comes from within ourselves. It is our inner desire to expand our knowledge through firsthand experience, to test the limits of our own strength and endurance, and in doing so, discover our true self.

The choice to live an adventurous lifestyle is not an easy one. It is very difficult to break free of the monotonous routine of daily life when you have been repeating it for years on end. You can easily come up with a handful of excuses why you shouldn’t book that weekend whitewater rafting trip, travel to a foreign country, or make an appointment for your first SCUBA lesson. I can’t get off of work, I shouldn’t spend the money, who will watch the kids, etc. There is only one way to break the routine, and that is to just do it. Keep in mind the words of George Mallory, known for attempting the first ascent of Everest;

“What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy. And joy is, after all, the end of life. We do not live to eat and make money. We eat and make money to be able to live. That is what life means and what life is for.”

Perhaps it is time for men to seek to regain the element of adventure that originally drove those before us to cross oceans and vast expanses of unknown terrain with no hope of return. We need to bring risk back into our lives. If we are to truly embrace the adventurous life, we must find within ourselves the daring resolve to snatch up our mere existence and drive it to the edge of possibility, knowing full well that the future holds no guarantee for safety, prosperity or happiness and that a full life is not given, it is taken.

• Find the nearest whitewater and join up with a rafting expedition. Most rafting trips are very reasonably priced for a full day of adventure on the river.
  • Explore the nearest national park off the beaten trail. Usually free or close to it, and you never know what kind of adventure you may happen upon, like exploring a hidden cave or waterfall.
  • Skydive. Chances are it’s already on your bucket list.
  • SCUBA dive. Although the equipment isn’t cheap, renting is always an option and the certification is usually for life.
  • Take a road trip and don’t decide on the destination until you are far away from home. Just pack a little bit of everything and see where the road takes you.
  • Climb a mountain. It doesn’t have to be Everest to qualify as an adventure. Few things compare to the feeling of accomplishment you get when you look down on the world below from the top.
  • Find a local ranch that rents horses for trail rides. Many horse ranches offer this as an extra way to generate income, and it can be quite enjoyable. Trail rides are usually guided, so there is no need for the inexperienced rider to worry about losing control when Mr. Ed decides he’s had enough of carrying you around.
  • Learn to surf. Many beaches offer cheap board rentals. Start small and maybe consider lessons. You definitely don’t want to head out to Hawaii’s North Shore alone on your first day out, or your first year out for that matter.
  • Go camping. The fulfillment of building a fire from wood you collected and then cooking a meal on it is a wonderful thing.
  • Hang-glide. The first few flights are with an instructor, so no need to worry about the trade winds carrying you off to Timbuktu.
  • Take up Mountain Biking. Once you subtract the onetime cost of the bike and necessary equipment, this is essentially a go-anytime, no-cost adventure. Many state and national parks offer mountain bike only trails of varying difficulties.
  • Learn to snowboard. Similar to surfing in that you can rent the equipment. Not similar to surfing in that there are trees in the way.
  • Immerse yourself in the culture of a foreign country. This is one that everyone should consider. You never realize the kind of perspective you gain from being outside of your comfort zone in another country until you experience it firsthand.
  • Bike across the country. What better way to see the US of A than upon your trusty steed, pedaling this nation’s highways and byways.
  • Change your career. You don’t have to scale a mountain to experience an adventure. Quit the job you hate and seek out the career you always wanted. Go back to school if you need to. Head up to Alaska to be a commercial fisherman, or take off this summer to train to fight forest fires.

These are just a few ideas.  The opportunities are endless!!!

1 Derek December 11, 2008 at 10:29 pm

Loved this article. A few years ago a friend and I were about to move away from San Francisco and wanted to say goodbye to the city that we loved. It was like 11:00 at night but we decided to get on our bikes and bike across the Golden Gate bridge one last time. So in the dark of night we zipped through the city streets and got to the bridge, crossed over and back, and then did some more exploring. We pedaled down streets so dark we couldn’t see the hand in front of our faces, through bad parts of town, and crossed a highway. When we got back home it was nearly morning. And I said to myself, “That was a damn good adventure!” It wasn’t climbing Mt. Everest but it was fantastic and I still think about it often. You have to do stuff like that from time to time to remind yourself that you’re alive.

2 Tom Kregenbild December 12, 2008 at 1:28 am

It’s great article. Thanks.

I think a great adventure is to stand in front of a crowd and perform with you music or just some song you love. it really gives you new perspective on music and performance.

3 Tom December 12, 2008 at 5:05 am

I love it; and I strive to live my life by it. I can happily say I’ve done 5 of those things, and plan to do more.

Some other ideas: bobsledding (Lake Placid in the winter), base jumping (if you’ve been skydiving), bungee jumping, ice & rock climbing, kayaking, jetskiing, snowmobiling, atv-ing, water-skiing, wake-boarding, zip-lining, gliding (plane without an engine), shooting. Go and backpack through a foreign country for a couple of weeks (or months!). Meet up with couchsurfers (couchsurfing.com) – you might get inspired.

4 Gabe December 12, 2008 at 5:11 am

I have to agree. Adventure is paramount. So here’s mine.

Two years ago I was extended the opportunity to join a team planting a church in Las Vegas. Two thousand miles from home, no job prospects and I vaguely knew one person in the entire city.

It was indeed quite an adventure. It was tough, at times, and it was spectacular too. It may not be every man’s idea of adventure, but it sure fit the bill for me.

5 pierre-luc gelineau December 12, 2008 at 6:51 am

I totally agree with this article. The main point of your post is to actually go outside in the wilderness. Out door activities are the best way to get some adventure. I am a big fan of outdoor activities be it rockclimbing, hiking etc. However, one should NEVER forget that when you go on a hiking trip or in the wilderness in general you are to leave the place exactly as you found it.

I recommend the outdoors to ANYONE. It’s a great way to stay/get fit mentally and physically. Its a great way to solidify friendship (don’t EVER go on a trip alone make sure you are in at least a party of 3).

For myself, I try to get some adventure at every opportunity. If I had more time/resources I would definitely go on more frequent/challenging trips ( Which I hope I will once I get to finish my Degree in Electrical Engineering).

One of the best book around for mountaineering for anyone who ever wants to get into some adventure is ” Mountaineering : Freedom of the hills”.

May you face great adventures on your path!

6 JFM December 12, 2008 at 7:34 am

Adventure is just someone else in deep shit a long way off.

Or in the words of Yoda, “Adventure, Excitement. The Jedi craves not these things.” Though maybe it helps that they get them anyway.

7 Lance December 12, 2008 at 8:33 am

I get my adventure building and shooting blackpowder rifles and pistols, dressing up in period clothing, camping under the stars with a bunch of people who enjoy the same thing and competing in shoots. This is a lifestyle thing, fun, relaxing and above all else, involves the use of retro technology and such. Camping in primitive camps, building you fire, canvas instead of nylon, wearing wool and cotton.

Then, of course there is interacting with others of a like mind and bent, learning skills for survival and becoming a member of a group. All of these things add to the adventure and fun! I highly recommend reenacting for those seeking something different from the daily grind, and it is fun for the entire family!

8 Tim December 12, 2008 at 8:48 am

Starting a family is adventure enough for me!

9 Will Volpert December 12, 2008 at 9:23 am

This article is great! I particularly agree with the first recommended activity: whitewater rafting. Day trips are nice but nothing really comes close to experiencing the outdoors like a multi-day expedition into the wilderness. The outfit I work for offers three and four day rafting expeditions on the Rogue River in Southern Oregon. To top off the “manliness” factor, in 2009 we are offering a Pub & Grub where we focus on an Oregon brewery and do beer tastings both of the two nights we are on the water. Check out more about this trip by visiting our “Pub & Grub” page here:

Will Volpert
Idaho and Oregon River Journeys
1-888-997-8399

10 Ryan K from Going Carless December 12, 2008 at 10:32 am

I sold my car yesterday with the intention to ride my bike everywhere. I never thought about it before, but I think a lot of the motivation was to break that work, eat, sleep cycle you talked about. Everyone tells us we need a car. I want the adventure of figuring out if that is true.

11 JS December 12, 2008 at 10:58 am

I completely concur with the article. My father and I try to take at least a week out every year to go to Colorado and do some Mountaineering (14′ers). We always come back with a wealth of knowledge, both about the area and ourselves. We enjoy staying in small little out of the way towns that are close to the peaks and striking up conversations with proprietors of restaurants and hotels/motels alike. The information and amazement learned during our travels presents many stories for us to tell when we come back.

I plan on doing the very same thing with my children.

12 Doconicus December 12, 2008 at 11:33 am

Adventure is why I bacame a Civil War Reenactor. It’s a blast.! The people you meet are incredible a there is a lot or work and play. Great times…

Doc

13 CM Burns December 12, 2008 at 11:43 am

Wow! What bizarre timing. I was just writing the “About” section for my new website – The Life of Adventure – and thought I’d take a break. Bopped on over to AOM and what did I find? This article – which is pretty much exactly what my website is about.

My favorite US based adventures:

Gold Panning in Happy Camp (CA) – Nothing like the promise of Gold to kick any outdoor adventure into Overdrive.

-Sea Kayaking in Baja – You can pull up on any beach and camp – no rangers – and right around now is whale season.

-Sea Kayaking on Lake Powell (Utah) – because of record low water levels you can paddle through slot canyons that have been submerged for decades – Super Primordial – you expect to see a dinosaur pop up from under he water at every turn.

14 April Braswell December 12, 2008 at 2:38 pm

This is great and SO true!

Indeed, both for being manly and the art of male bonding, and ALSO to help his pioneering woman alongside him! We may wear all that fabulous feminine accoutrement (stuff), however, most manly men want a feminine woman with some guts and gumption alongside him.

Those heroes you mention, and I literally have BOOKS of bios on men like this, a great modern version we can manage almost anywhere is HIKING! The manly man does the recon, picks the trail, identifies WHICH trail (searching online etc.) and then packs the water and food to carry (there is this COOL fanny pack which carries that).

And can take a lady along with him. Now, she is actually wearing hiking boots and we ladies often have good leg strength (wussy upper body, even when we work out, you men, well God just GIFTED you that way with muscles, biceps, shoulders, TG, to shoulder all that) and when we are at a rough patch, we look to you to offer us a hand to GUIDE us a bit.

More opportunities for gentlemanly displays of chivalrous behavior.

Hiking is a GREAT shared activity for dating, whether you are a single man or a married man.

Oye, turn OFF the tv, and get outdoors! ;)

All the best,

April Braswell

Online Dating Expert, Romantic Relationship Coach, Romance Coaching

Online Dating Sites Review, Internet Dating Sites Guide

15 frdinrado December 12, 2008 at 3:41 pm

@April Braswell – Thanks, April – you’re not afraid of being a feminine woman who encourages men to be men – we need more like you! Great post, Chris – thanks.

16 a December 12, 2008 at 6:49 pm

extreme ironing

everyone should do it once.

it makes for a good story :)

17 drizad December 12, 2008 at 8:38 pm

I climbed a mountain (Kinabalu) and scuba dive. Professional on weekdays, outdoor on weekends…

Love your post!

18 Watson December 12, 2008 at 9:04 pm

Great article!

I realized that my life needed a change, as I was a full time waiter barely (and sometimes not) making ends meet. I recently enlisted in the U.S. Navy and took the SEAL qualifying PST, securing myself an SO (Special Operations) rating. I leave for Recruit Training Command near the beginning of summer, and after 9 or so weeks, I will go to BUD/S to start my training as a SEAL.

This is the most terrifying and exciting thing I’ve ever done, and I can’t wait for my life to truly begin.

19 Chris Hutcheson December 13, 2008 at 2:58 am

My grandfather was a SEAL in Vietnam and actually contributed stories to a couple books and I can tell you from his stories that being a SEAL is DEFINITELY an adventure. Congratulations!!! Good luck at BUD/S!

20 Mike Deneault December 13, 2008 at 7:46 pm

I completely agree with this. This goes great with an earlier article on bonding with your other man-friends. The experience I had was travelling with a good friend to Tennessee for a week to ride Highway 129 (aka: the Dragon) on our motorcycles. In that week we clocked close to 800 miles, going where we felt, with a pack or by ourselves. Loved it so much that we went back this year again. Things were going great until he wiped out, and then I ran over his crotch.

If you can be friends with someone after something like that, NOTHING will sour things between you.

21 Dave JOH December 14, 2008 at 10:41 am

This really is a great post and something that is a common problem with people today.

As someone who has done the “Bike across the country. What better way to see the US of A than upon your trusty steed, pedaling this nation’s highways and byways” part of the post…i can say, to not take it lightly. But you never do realize the simple beauty of this country until you cross it at 15 mph.

22 Harland December 14, 2008 at 5:42 pm

Excellent article. I think the main point is the attitude towards life. You may not find options right near you that are exotic like mountain climbing. Or your budget (and wife) may preclude sky diving. But there is lots of adventure in just discovery. Seeing new things, visiting new places, meeting new people. Try simple things too:
New cuisines
dancing
cooking
new books
theatre
but I also add some classic – get the blood racing options:
urban spelunking, paintball, etc.
The idea is just thinking differently

23 Charlie December 15, 2008 at 1:43 am
24 Avi December 15, 2008 at 7:28 pm

There is something about climbing a mountain. It doesn’t have to be a giant mountain, and in fact I have never climbed a mountain so high I needed special gear or an ice pick. I once got lost on a mountain in Jordan. I sat under an olive tree and watched a herd of goats wander by. It really helps put your life together…

25 acooper December 16, 2008 at 11:20 am

I totally agree. I am fairly content with my life but I often find myself daydreaming about adventure. I don’t think I took advatage of my late teens/early 20′s like I should have. All the adventurous things I want to do are coming to me now that I am in my mid 30′s, married with kids & not really making enough money to spend on things that are not essential to the family.

I was a boy scout until I was 17 and although I had alot of fun and did some cool things, I thought it was lame and embarrassing and probably did not get everything out of it that I could have. If I had it to do again I would have been more into it & I long for the adventure scouting had to offer.

In my late teens and twenties I was in school & working & hanging out with my friends and did not do all the things I could have. I kept putting them off and now that I am where I am at in life I can’t really persue adventre the way I would like.

I want to camp, hike & explore but I have no close male friends & the kids are little. Wife would never let me go by myself. I used to do fencing before I was maried, for about 5 years, but I had to quite after I got married because it was very expensive & time consuming. I started playing paintball after I got married, but it is expensive and time consuming so my wife only lets me go a few times a year. I would like to ride a bicycle but my wife always wants me to “hurry” so I can be home to help with the kids so I can’t do that.

Most of my adventure these days is through reading, TV & video games.

26 Evan December 16, 2008 at 8:15 pm

Solid. We have forgotten about adventure these days. If anyone wants to do something really amazing, go to New Zealand for a month. I did, and it blew me away. Hiking in the most beautiful scenery on Earth, bungee jumping, sky diving, sheep herding, and so much more. Unreal.
Great article.

27 Raoul Duke December 17, 2008 at 5:03 pm

@acooper

“wife only lets me…”
“Wife would never let me…”

i am not trying to be obnoxious here; all i’m saying is that i think i have been in situations where i thought something about somebody else which turned out to not be entirely true once a discussion was started and the other person listened to my concerns, and i tried to not assume how the other person would react. my hope for us all is to be optimistic about our relationships and to be able to be the one to step up and voice our concerns in life and ask for help in finding ways to address them together. i know i need to be better at that. i know i’d like to find ways to find time to get off my ass and out the door.

28 Rob VB December 21, 2008 at 9:43 am

I must be pretty lucky- my wife has given me the opportunity to backpack, rock climb, kayak, fish, ride my motorcycle for weeks on end.

She recognizes that I need adventures to sharpen the sword and be effective at work.

I am married to the best wife ever!!!!!!

And she has a great rack and ass to boot!

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29 Tim Murphy December 24, 2008 at 8:22 am

Well written article. Every man needs adventure. Adventure is all around us. You can look for and find adventure in even the smallest, everyday things. In my evening walks (they used to be runs, but the knees have a few issues) my mind and eyes are always taking in my surroundings; the beauty of God’s creation. I’m always looking for wildlife and check this out, over the last several months have discovered bear scat in the street! It seems that this local bear likes the warmth of the asphalt better than the cool earth to do his business on. I have the opportunity to lake kayak as well and every trip out, whether 20 minutes or severeal hours, is an adventure with fish, turtles, ducks, geese, beaver and otters. Nothing has to be mundane. There can be adventure tucked into every day if we keep our mind and our senses engaged and on the lookout. Take in the small adventures every day and plan and execute on the big ones.

30 Zerobomb December 27, 2008 at 11:15 pm

Adventure does not have to be something that far from the ordinary, as G. K. Chesterton reminds us:

“An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered.”

31 kasper January 3, 2009 at 8:29 am

It’s definitely better to have a holiday where you do something than just sit aimlessly on the beach. For those in Europe that can get there cheaply, I went on the best learning to surf holiday ever in Fuerteventura in the Canaries. The island’s small enough that if the waves aren’t right on one side, the teachers’ll just drive you to where the surf is right.

Also volunteered at a vulture sanctuary in Croatia last summer, and it’s a win/win situation- the holiday is cheap as you are volunteering so bed and board are subsidised, and they give you stuff to do so you never get bored!

32 kasper January 3, 2009 at 8:34 am

By the way, a great book on this theme is Wind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, who wrote the Little Prince. Autobiographical book about flying the mail over North Africa, taking part in the Spanish civil war… all kinds of adventurous shenanigans…

33 OLDGUY June 3, 2009 at 5:17 am

Adventure is the key to looking forward to the next day! The article woke up that old spirit that was lost in being a family man. You know, raising kids, school PTA, Little League, paying attention to the wife… in general keeping the family happy. All of it very rewarding but under all that lies the suppressed desire to find excitement and accomplish some feat. Always liked the outdoors (Daniel Boone was my hero as a kid) so I got into backpacking which evolved into packing the minimum and living off the land. Then it was whitewater canoeing and kayaking ( canoeing is much harder… no room for error). Then SCUBA diving. Then I decided to lean to fly. Then… it goes on and on. All of them became a passion for several years, but after a while they became old and it was off to the next adventure. I found that during the quest that ones energy level increases dramatically over the hum drum “work, home, chores, bed” life. Its the mental aspect of anticipation and excitement that seemed to create the energy. I was a much better father, employee and husband when I was engrossed in my adventures. Call it ADD or whatever but it made me feel alive and positive about the future. Something a man, with all his associated responsibilities, needs!

34 William July 30, 2009 at 6:02 am

I’ve talked with a few people about it, and I’ve determined that my generation (I’m 22) lacks adventure. Rather, lacks a crucible to make us men.
Most generations had a war to shape them and force them into manhood. Most of my generation’s never left the comfort of our own cities or states.
To supplement that, I am planning (but only roughly planning) a cross country motorcycle trip. I’m taking a cook stove, tent, sleeping bag, and hopefully will get a shower once a week.

35 Andrus November 20, 2009 at 2:17 am

Good article and it is something I have been living for the last 8 years. I can say that I have done everything on the list aside from Sky Diving and riding across the US (though I have walked across Spain)
I do work as a tour guide so I’ve done most of these things in the course of a days work, which makes it even better because I get paid to do things other people pay for. I know I’m very lucky to have found a job at a young age that has given me the opportunity travel and get involved in many wacky adventures and shenanigans.

36 Erik September 20, 2012 at 10:42 am

If you are looking for a group of people who are actively seeking and acting upon adventure: http://www.manmakesfire.com is a blog site that incorporates a tribal type of community that encourages rookies and experts alike to take up the call to adventure daily. Adventures include everything from building rockets in the backyard, hiking, kayaking, hunting, fishing, biking, you name it this group tries to actively do it. I agree with this article 100% adventure is paramount to being a man.

37 Kylie November 8, 2012 at 9:59 am

Please explain to me why it is important to support the need for adventure of your spouse and how to best do so without becoming frustrated. I feel that he is sometimes selfish in wanting to always be gone doing something adventurous while I am in the rear working.

38 Curtis December 11, 2012 at 8:12 am

Go Hunting, find an experienced hunter and start talking about hunting. They will invite you in no time. That is one of the best adventurer a man can get on. I have taken a few people on their first hunts and enjoy it as much as the new hunters.

39 Kristina January 14, 2013 at 9:50 am

Curtis. Have adventures but leave innocent animals out of it, okay? They don’t want to get shot so some human an feel they had an adventure. Let them live just as you would like to live. There are many ways to have adventure without killing. Here’s a thought: why don’t you “shoot” them with a camara instead if a gun. You get your adventure and they get to live.

40 Clay January 27, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Climbed my first mountain last summer. 13,000 ft. and it was the greatest experience of my life so far. If you ever end up in a state or country with some quality elevation, take a week or two off from whatever it is that brought you there, pack up your ruck and climb. I don’t care what “better” things you have to do, just climb. You will not regret it.

41 Shelly June 21, 2013 at 2:17 am

Every woman needs adventure, too!! Thank you for this article that I found as i was wondering what was wrong with me that so much of my being energetic in life depends on my having a next adventure close at hand! I’m not married and childless (early 30′s), but I believe that in a relationship, both man and woman should have adventures together, and/or both alternate chances to go on their own adventures…

42 Ed November 6, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I like what William said (comment 34). Our generation does lack adventure. I really want a crucible that will shape me into something more… and so I have chosen to do the Appalachian Trail starting March 1, 2014. 6 months of wilderness will be nothing but gain for the rest of my life.

43 Joe Berta January 14, 2014 at 10:01 am

Great blog, Thank You!
Adventure is still the spice of life, even though most extremes have been concurred.
Our adventure was to get in a boat with no money and no particular destination in 1980, set out to learn, work, find, explore and discover.
I am past 60 now, but we are still doing it, in the same boat, right now icebound on the Trent Severn waterway in Ontario Canada….