AoM Month of Sandwiches Day #17: The Turkey & Cream Cheese Sandwich

by Jeremy Anderberg on April 23, 2013 · 10 comments

in Cooking, Food & Drink, Travel & Leisure

WP_20130422_013

Welcome to Day #17 of the AoM sandwich project. Last month we asked readers for their best sandwich recommendations. Out of 483 submissions, we picked 20 to highlight here on the site each weekday during the month of April. At the end, we’ll publish all the entries into an epic man-sandwich cookbook. Enjoy.

Today’s Sandwich: The Turkey & Cream Cheese by Brady Bellew

I picked this one for its simplicity. It’s a cold-cut base, and not too much pizzazz. This is a classic turkey sandwich, with one little twist to give it some extra gusto. Let’s see how it went!

Ingredients

WP_20130422_003

• Bread (I used sourdough)
  • Butter
  • Olive oil
  • Turkey
  • Cream cheese
  • Swiss cheese

Step 1: Toast Bread

WP_20130422_004

I used hearty slices of sourdough and they barely even fit in the toaster.

Step 2: Spread Butter & Cream Cheese

I gave it a good slathering. I've learned from experience not go do a light spread when it comes to cream cheese on sandwiches.

I gave it a good slathering. I’ve learned from experience not to do a light spread when it comes to cream cheese on sandwiches.

Step 3: Drizzle Olive Oil

You can the drizzled oil if you look close enough.

You can see the drizzled oil on there.

Step 4: Add Turkey

WP_20130422_010

Step 5: Add Swiss Cheese

WP_20130422_011

Finished Product

WP_20130422_013

Taster’s Notes

WP_20130422_020

This is a good, normal lunch sandwich. I mean that as a compliment; you could eat this sandwich every day of the week for lunch without too much effort, and it wouldn’t feel like a splurge. I would probably leave out the butter and/or oil, as it feels like fatty overkill. I’m also curious why Brady decided to toast the bread. It made it a little bit tough to eat. Next time, I’d just use fresh bread, and it would definitely still be a winner.

1 Andy Chance April 23, 2013 at 1:31 pm

I’m loving these articles. There are still several that I want to try. I wish that I had submitted my Buffalo Chicken salad sandwich in time.

2 Brandon April 23, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I’ve made a variation of this sandwich at times in the past. I toast the bread as well and find that if done right, the nice warm bread can help to melt the cream cheese making it easier to spread and melt into the rest of the sandwich better. Although, I also melt my swiss cheese.

3 Lance April 23, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Looks so tasty. I bet some cranberry sauce would go well with this one.

4 Al April 23, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I agree with Brandon, most cream cheese would be mighty tough to spread on untoasted bread.

I think this would be excellent with a dark pumpernickel and some carmelized onions.

5 Adrienne April 23, 2013 at 9:18 pm

That sandwich is screaming out to be toasted/grilled (as in grilled cheese.)

You can easily spread the cream cheese by giving it a very short time in the microwave. Be sure and cover it (a coffee filter works well) because it can splatter.

I also envision a few slices of bacon and a slather of peanut butter… Oy vey!!

6 Paul April 24, 2013 at 5:17 am

Stick it in the Breville, I think this would make an awesome toastie, get that Swiss nice and gooey.

7 Brady Bellew April 24, 2013 at 7:54 am

Jeremy (writer of the article):

You asked at the end why I decided to toast the bread. To be honest, I just prefer toasted bread over non-toasted bread. If given the option, I’ll toast bread for any sandwich.

Also, thanks for putting up my suggested sandwich!

8 Jeremy Anderberg April 24, 2013 at 8:59 am

@Brady – thanks for chiming in! I understand about the toasting. I wonder how it would be grilled on a skillet — that’s usually my preference. It was my pleasure to try your submission.

@Lance – great idea! Next time…

9 Brady Bellew April 24, 2013 at 10:52 am

@Jeremy,

One more thing, if you want to make it a less fatty sandwich, as you mentioned that, pass up the butter. I just butter it due to the North German tradition of buttering EVERYTHING.

10 Amy L December 30, 2013 at 1:19 pm

I just made this and it is delicious!
The only thing I would change though is to make this in a pan, like you would a grilled cheese. That way the turkey and cheese are warm inside. :)