How to Grow a Handlebar Mustache

by Brett on November 1, 2012 · 91 comments

in Dress & Grooming, Shaving

Happy Movember! Have you signed up for the AoM Movember Team yet? It’s not too late to join up in the battle against prostate and testicular cancer. Sign-up today, start growing your mustache, and ask your friends and family to donate to your ‘Mo Space! This is your chance to grow a kick butt mustache, raise some money for men’s health, and maybe even win a super manly prize. Whatdaya waiting for?

How to Grow a Handlebar Mustache

Hopefully, by now you have your eye on the manly mustache style you want to achieve this month. Because I know some of you gents will assuredly have your heart set on that distinguished pinnacle of mustaches — the classic handlebar — we’ve put together this visual guide on how to grow one. Now, please know that growing a handlebar mustache will likely take longer than the 30 days of Movember; most handlebar experts say you’ll need at least six weeks growth at the bare minimum before your ‘stache will be long enough to be styled into the proper handlebar shape. But you’ll have to start training your mustache now in order to achieve that most glorious form. Here’s how to do it.

Step 1: Don’t Trim Your Mustache

DON’T TRIM IT! No matter how tempting it is, don’t trim your mustache. Ever.

Step 2: Comb It

When your mustache is long enough to comb, comb it once a day and create a part by combing the hair out from under the nose to the left and to the right respectively. This will train your ‘stache to grow out in the traditional handlebar fashion. A simple Tweezerman comb will do the trick. If you want to get fancy, go with a wooden mustache comb handmade by actor Nick Offerman, aka Ron Swanson.

Step 3: Wax It

After you get out of the shower, leave your mustache damp. Starting in the middle of your lip, apply a small dab of mustache wax with your fingertip to the upper edge and use a comb to spread it down through the hair. Work your way out to each end, applying more wax as needed. If your mustache is wiry, use more wax. Many handlebar owners suggest Clubman Mustache Wax.

Step 4: Twist and Shape It

To add that distinctive handlebar curl, apply some wax to the ends and twist the hairs together with your fingers. Then curl the twisted hair up and in. You can also create a curl by winding the ends as tightly as possible around a writing pen.

Step 5: Maintain It

Owning a handlebar mustache is a commitment. You have to wash it, comb it, wax it, and curl it every day. But when the day arrives you have to take part in a bare-knuckle boxing match, the investment will be well worth it.

After you’ve grown your handlebar mustache, you might consider petitioning the illustrious Handlebar Mustache Club for membership:

Illustrations by Ted Slampyak

Special thanks to AoM reader and handlebar mustache owner, Eric Stolzmann for a handlebar growing consult.

Will you be growing a handlebar mustache this year? Do you already own and take enormous pride in your handlebar mustache? Have any tips for would-be owners? Share with us in the comments!

1 Travis November 1, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Don’t get discouraged. It can take a long time to even get the beginnings of a handlebar. Also, carry around your wax with you especially in the summer. Often you will need to reapply during the day even more so on a hot day. Personally, I prefer Man’s Face Stuff moustache wax. It is made in Portland, OR, is available in tins or convenient tubes, and comes in great scents such as Gin & Tonic or Red Hot.

2 JamesArmstrong November 1, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I just shaved off my handlebar this morning to regrow it for Movember!

3 Alex Becket November 1, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Yep, mine went down the sink. My lip is so dern cold!!

4 Francis November 1, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Being a 30 year old asian man with limited facial hair, I find it extremely hard to grow one. How i envy those who can, though. Because nothing says ACCOMPLISHMENT like the twirling of one’s own handlebar ‘stache.

5 Gentleman Rook November 1, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Having been the proud owner of a handlebar for a year or so now, I say “more power to you, Man” if you decide to go this route. It takes time, patience, and you’ll get a share of strange looks and inane comparisons to Salvador Dali, but there is nothing sharper than a well-groomed handlebar.

6 Kimberly Z November 1, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I am starting today!

7 Tyler November 1, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Where does one find mustache wax?

8 mike November 1, 2012 at 8:01 pm

started growing mine July of 2011. ive only trimmed it 2x. end to end its about 10″ if i go straight dali. i do it curled up 6 days a week. its well worth it, but it does take alot to deal with it. get use to getting made fun of and posing in pictures if you go for greatness

9 Eric November 1, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Drugstore.com has the easiest form of purchasing Clubman Moustace wax. I would suggest getting the neutral wax, as the colored waxes can leave behind rather messy evidence of clandestine snogging sessions. Having had my handlebars for over 25 years, I would caution new owners of such a dapper facial ornament that having made the investment of time an energy into growing a handlebar mustache, it is very difficult to part with, and having a sympathetic spouse, partner becomes all the more necessary…

10 chad November 1, 2012 at 8:35 pm

would love to see more of these for other types of staches.

11 Walter November 1, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Wait did “Kimberly” just say they were starting a handlebar mustache? More power to you good sir….or madam.

12 Justin November 1, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Oh man, those illustrations are awesome! We’ll see where this MO leads me!

13 Chris November 1, 2012 at 11:38 pm

May have to give it a go for Movember.

14 Jared November 1, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Gotta disagree on the clubman moustache wax. I’ve yet to hear of any good experiences. It’s too watery and doesn’t hold well unless you have a really easily tamed ‘stache. Oregon Wild Hair moustache wax has always been reliable. Easily lasts all day, even in heat. Order-able online, too. :)

15 Johnnyboy November 2, 2012 at 12:17 am

Can you add how to blow your nose without getting mucous all over your mustache and making a mess on your upper lip? I haven’t learned that skill very well and after it grows long it does get annoying and quite gross. I love mustaches though, great article!

16 Jacob S November 2, 2012 at 12:32 am

I prefer making my own mustache wax. 4 parts beeswax to 3 parts petroleum jelly works well, or substitute 2 parts castor oil for the petroleum jelly. The Handlebar Mustache club website has more recipes and tips.

17 Ben November 2, 2012 at 9:16 am

You can’t grow one. You must become one with the mustache. Feel the wax flow through you.

18 Jared November 2, 2012 at 11:55 am

@ Jared: Regarding the Clubman wax. You’re right about using Clubman all on its own. I actually use a combination of Clubman and Oregon Wild Hair together. The Clubman gets the ends nice and stiff, keeping the curls nice and tight. The Oregon Wild Hair on its own is too soft to make really tight curls.

19 Jakor! November 2, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I rock the handlebars, and I’ve found that Clubman is terrible, CVS brand wax is worse, but in a pinch Elmer’s Glue is not a bad waxing option.

I don’t wax it too often. I go with the gun-fighter style handlebars, and just part it and twist it all day.

20 Chris Boucher November 2, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I keep Clubman and a moustache comb in my pocket for touch ups through the day… but set youself up for success and get some FIREHOUSE moustache wax… the stuff is great! And wear your handlebars proudly!

21 Andy Pokorski November 2, 2012 at 2:33 pm

One pro-tip if you are using Clubman wax is to make sure your stache is completely dry before applying because it is in fact water soluble.

22 Tom November 2, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I’ll third the combination of Oregon and Clubman. (Description of embarrassingly complex ritual follows)

First, I almost NEVER use soap or shampoo, just my conditioner and rinse out with cool water. Post-shower, I massage in conditioner (I prefer Bumble and Bumble Creme de Coco) and then comb and manipulate into shape. Allow to dry some while running around the house getting kids ready for school. DO NOT LET DRY COMPLETELY OR SUFFER A “BAD FACE” DAY.

Then I apply the Oregon Wax to tame the ‘stache and get it going in the right direction. Finish with the Clubman and apply the final curve of the curl by rolling between thumb and forefinger. The mustache is now round in cross-section.

After you clean you hands, you can further manipulate the ‘stache w/o it sticking to your fingers and mussing it up. At this point I pinch the ‘stache to flatten it out parallel to the plane of my face. This further sets the curl and makes it a stronger structure (think of how a 2×6 will bear a higher load than a rod of the same diameter.)

Later, you can brush out your mustache from a tight precision curl to a full blown bushy face-o-manliness with only a small touch-up to the tips.

Remember, most waxes have a limited open time before they dry out and cannot be worked with. This takes practice. Wash out and start over – it is a battle you will not win.

Lastly, if you have not seen this video do so now. It is EXACTLY what it is like to have a mustache.

Happy Growing!

23 Jared November 2, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Has anyone here tried Foad Wax? Thoughts?

24 12th Man November 2, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I always use Firehouse Moustache Wax. I’m currently in the process of regrowing my handlebar, should be ready in another month. At its apex, it was probably a good seven or eight inches, end to end.

25 Jared November 3, 2012 at 2:34 am

That’s true, using it for detailing could work. I never had mine curly, so the Oregon Wild Hair was fine on it’s own. But I never could get Clubman to stay, especially in California heat.

26 Brian November 3, 2012 at 8:53 am

Could there possibly be a consolation prize for those of us in the military who cannot grow handlebars?

27 Stan November 3, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I’ve grown a handlebar a few different times. This is my advice.

1) Grow a beard first. Nothing looks worse than a pre-moustache on its own.

2) When you have a beard and are shaving down to a moustache, lift under the moustache where it would connect down to a goatee and shave that part. By doing this your moustache starts/ is able to be curled.

28 Michael November 3, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I envy those men who can shave off their mustache. I have had mine since I was fifteen…that is thirty-seven years. I am too attached to it. For twenty-seven of those years, I had a full beard, too. I do have a 22-inch handlebar from tip to tip when not in its groomed state (that’s a loop at each end that you can pass a quarter through). It turns many heads with many positive comments from both men and women. There are two things to know about a handlebar: 1) never, ever trim, and 2) have patience for that extended scraggly phase.

29 Hollis Leroy November 4, 2012 at 12:16 pm

For those like myself that grow facial hair too slowly to cultivate an illustrious ‘stache by the end of the month, keep at it. It took about three months to get a respectable handlebar mustache, but after three months of derision and ridicule for not having a manly mustache I had multiple people telling me that if they could grow facial hair like mine, they would.

30 Bruce McMicking November 4, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Moustache wax will cause irritation ~ acne, pimples and pain. When long enough wax is superflous. Just shape when wet. You’ll be fiddling with it all day anyway.

31 Dinkdrinker November 4, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Having had a handlebar mustache for over 5 years, I find the best wax is always home made. I use 1 part petroleum jelly, and 3 parts bees wax. Some people will add soap to aid in removal, but if real hot water doesn’t bother you, it’s not a problem.

32 Jake in N.D. November 4, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Great article, it explains exactly how to go about growing a handlebar stache. The only suggestion I have is to get a strong hair gel to apply to the ends,helps hold the curl all day.

33 ad November 5, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Do some women wear handle bar mustache?

34 John November 6, 2012 at 8:08 am

I find that firehouse wax works very well. It has the right amount of tack and doesn’t get oily.

35 Anthony November 7, 2012 at 11:44 am

What is the best wax for my handle bar mustache?

36 Wild Bill November 7, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Try my own concoction, holds up in most all conditions, including rain and snow.

Let me know what you think, I stand by our products.

37 Shaun November 8, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I’ve actually found that a pomade works best for keeping my handlebar mustache in shape and looking great. I tried wax, and it just took way too long to get anything looking good, and usually left a lot of residue behind afterwards. I’m using a water based pomade now, and it takes me a few minutes at most to get everything right.

38 Gman November 9, 2012 at 10:24 am

As a grower of a handlebar for years I thought I’d pass on some wax I found. Clubman is good if you need a fast “hard” hold. After you’ve trained your stache or even if you have other facial hair that needs a little encouragement to stay in place, a softer wax is recommended that doesn’t feel so stiff. I’ve tried them all and prefer Oregon wild hair wax. http://www.oregonwildhair.com. Scoop it out with your fingernail, warm between the fingers, apply, and shape. Since its not a hard wax, it gives your facial hair a softer more natural look. Enjoy!

39 Doug Geiger November 14, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Hello handlebar moustache wearers and aspiring moustache wearers. Disclosure: I own http://www.canyouhandlebar.com. Now that that is out of the way a couple of pointers:

1. Give it three months before it looks like what you probably imagine in your head.

2. Like step one says DO NOT trim the middle. You need those for a full handlebar. You don’t want a mullet-moustache.

All the best,
Doug

40 PBoley November 15, 2012 at 5:37 am

I have a problem with my mustache. It grows fairly thick for my age (19). except nothing seems to grow in middle. this does give me the natural bump in my mustache but i cant help but feel it looks like a crappy little mustache. Can anyone suggest some types of wax to use. i only have axe to go off of….

41 kevin November 19, 2012 at 4:00 am

Man really pushing that oregon wax huh? Good luck with your solicitations.
As stated the clubman isnt even worth puchasing. As soon as you take a sip it all washes out, plus it looks like crusty dandruf funk. Just pinching off some chapstick and twisting it in works. Ive heard firehouse is good, but never tried. But do your stache the justice of giving it a chance with some decent wax. And youll have it for next time

42 Ralph November 21, 2012 at 11:55 am

I am surprised that they recommend Clubman mustache wax. It is horrible! It is really a cream, not a wax and it can’t hold much of any shape at all. The only thing I like about it is the little brush/comb applicator that comes with it. Go for a real mustache wax that comes in a tin and you’ll get much better results.

43 Tyson November 22, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Patience is key with a handlebar. There are a lot of good moustache waxes out there and the handlebar club has a huge amount of information.

I love mine and don’t know if I could get rid of it.

44 raoul November 23, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I live in Florida where moustache wax tends to melt, resulting in “stash droop.” For years now, I have been using unscented hairspray. Spray your fingertips or comb and then style. The stiffer the spray, the better. Good choice: Aquanet Super Hold (cheap). Best choice: Aerogel (expensive). A can will easily last six months. to a year.

45 Timothy K December 8, 2012 at 10:39 pm

As I was going to google to search for how to grow a handlebar ‘stache, I thought, “I bet the Art of ‘Manliness’ has instructions for how to do it.

I wasn’t disappointed. It’s the first result.

46 Raoul December 11, 2012 at 12:35 pm

As a follow up to my previous post:

I have been using unscented hair spray for years. I was just not happy with any of the waxes I tried.

I got the idea of using hairspray from the big-hair rock bands of the 1980s, like Def Leopard, The Scorpions, and GnR. Like them, I wanted something industrial strength and learned that Aquanet was their brand of choice, especially the No. 3-extra-super-hold. They literally bought it by the case. It’s inexpensive, easy to find, and works well on handlebars.

The best brand I have found, however, is called Aerogel. It has a lighter texture but stiffer set and can even be applied to damp hair. For hairspray it is pricey, but a can will last 6 months or more, so it is actually more cost effective than wax.

I find that hairspray offers many advantages over wax:

No taste, odor, colour, residue or greasiness.
Easy to handle and sets up dry without clumping.
Doesn’t melt.
Firm, lasting hold.
Washes out easily; no build-up or flaking.

Note: When spraying, hold in close to reduce overspray and waste. When spraying directly onto your moustache, shield your eyes and don’t inhale the spray. This isn’t rocket science, but it pays to be careful. Also, no smoking.

Technique:
1. Dry comb your moustache and straighten any tangles.

2. Spray the comb, then work through each side from the middle to the ends, then begin to shape. The sides can be done separately or together. Separately will give you more working time. The spray dries in about 10-15 seconds.

3. Spray your fingertips and form the curls and points. This step can be repeated to refine the style, as needed.

4. A light final spraying will produce a firm, all-day set.

5. Stand back and take note of what a handsome, moustachioed rascal you are.

Not happy with the result? Just comb it out and start over. No need to wash it first.

“Every villain needs a moustache he can twiddle gleefully as he cooks up his next nasty plan.”
Mel Brooks
2006

47 Brandon December 28, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Clubman wax is AWFUL. It’s the only “wax” that I’ve tried and I’m highly disappointed with it. I have some Man’s Face Stuff on the way and am very excited to try it. Anyone used it before?

48 Russel Blair December 28, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Hello!

My problem isn’t really how to style my mustache. It’s really the “growing it” part.

I have very few facial hair. When my mustache grows, it just grows on the sides. And very very few below the nose holes. So I look like a thin Chinese bald guy when my mustache grows longer (on the sides only).

Is there any way to make it grow on the center (below the holes of the nose)?

49 Todd January 3, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Leave the wax behind.
I’ve found that “Got To Be Glued” is the way to go. No melting in the heat and it’s water soluble when you’re ready for it to be.

50 Michael January 11, 2013 at 3:45 am

I have been a stache man all my life. Once i shaved it off and my upper lip got very red and irritated so i havent done that again. I recently decided to go with the classic handlebar. Half the hair in the stache is white and the other half is brown. So i use the brown clubman wax. Thats all i could find at the beauty store. Its coming very nice and i get alot of compliments. Now im gonna hafta try a better wax

51 Richard Knowles January 23, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I do an old-tyme strongman act from time to time at fairs and suchlike, and have grown a handlebar mustache for a long time now. I’ve tried a lot of waxes & lotions to hold it in place – it’s really wiry – and by far the best is Firehouse Moustache Wax http://www.firehousemoustachewax.com
It comes in 3 types – light, which has no smell, and medium & dark which have a woody, manly smell. All 3 are a hard wax, easy to apply, sticks like s&$t to a blanket, and wash out easily with warm water. An $8 tin will last me about 6 months with twice daily use. You might find it at barber’s supply shops but the manufacturer is the cheapest seller, and will send you out one tin if that’s all you want.

52 Marc M. February 5, 2013 at 9:07 am

I have now grown my moustache for 2 months, so it is long enough to start the curl. I have been using the Man’s Face Stuff Gin & Tonic wax, but it doesnt seem to hold real well. Is there a wax the will hold stronger all day long or is it usual to reapply several times a day?

53 James D. February 10, 2013 at 11:10 am

I’ve decided to start my handle bar mustache experience two days ago, I haven’t shaved in about two weeks or so, I’m looking forward to being a manly man and being part of the handle-bar mustache world !

54 Doug February 18, 2013 at 11:42 am

Hey all–wanted to share an infographic I created. This features my brand but will work for any wax-based moustache wax (of which there are many great brands!)

The best way to learn to apply wax is through trial and error. There are some basic principles, but because each guy has a different length moustache, different coarseness of hair and different goals, the wax and method of application is an art as well as a science. Best of luck–I hope this is helpful!

~Doug, Gentleman in Charge, CanYouHandlebar

55 Harry Bishop February 18, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Clubman works very well for me. The trick is to wax the curls well, then, holding the curls in place, heat them with a hair dryer then hold the curls in place until they cool. This keeps my curls in place all day, and often even through the night.

56 PZ February 20, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Going to Japan in mid April, started growing one 2 weeks ago, can’t wait to see the looks on their faces, hope they like it…

57 Ryan April 7, 2013 at 7:21 am

I can grow one very easily but I honestly don’t like the style, you must shave the hair that grows under the parts you curl though otherwise you’ll have this weird looking horseshoe handlebar combo looking monstrosity.

58 Geoff April 10, 2013 at 2:03 pm

I’ve been growing my handlebar moustache for 10 months now and each end is about 7 inches. Unfortunately, my moustache is very wiry and I need to use a little more wax than the product recommends, but I find Clubman to be the best so far. Also, I do not wax it every day (recommended to me by Dennis Gage). On the days I wear it down, I use a leave-in conditioner to soften it. I can’t wait for it to get 10-12 inches on each side. I get a LOT of compliments, from both sexes.

59 Terry Taylor May 1, 2013 at 9:29 am

as a man who is 3 weeks in to growing his own, i can say with crystal clarity, that i cannot wait until mine is fully in…. question. where does one exactly trim the end. i get sharp, itchy growth in the corner of my lip. i want to trim it, but as these fine gents who have already commented, dont trim, where is the trim point?

60 Adam May 6, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Ok, I should have read this before I started growing the handlebar because I did do some trimming. Now my stache is long enough to curl but alas the curls have slightly different shapes. I dont know if its because of how I trimmed or the fact that my hair is insanely curly. Ought I to let it continue to grow out longer than I want and then try to trim it? If so are there any tips for trimming? Or should I just suck it up and start over? Reverting to moustachelessness would be devastating, but everytime I look in the mirror I see the magnificent handlebar that might have been.

61 Scott June 3, 2013 at 10:58 pm

I am just starting to grow a mustache and would like to let it grow into a handlebar if looks good. Any suggestions or advoice? How long does it take to really look like a handlebar? I am concerned about it growing into my mouth

62 Jeferson June 4, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Great Article and comments for all. Thanks!

63 Rob Corona June 15, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Great article and even better comments. I’m about five weeks into growing a handlebar. However naturally i have a thin ‘stache kinda like doc holiday in movie Tombstone instead of the thick bushy kind. In y’alls opinion do those kinds of handlebars look OK? the hair itself is strong and wiry just not bushy. Also, just started using Dandy Candy wax to train it smells great and natural ingrédients but its definitely a softer wax not super hold. Still Nice though.

64 Elton June 19, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Just shaved mine off after 9 months of admiration from everyone, everywhere. Love the look, need a break from the maintenance (and hair going in my food).

People stopped me almost everyday to tell me they “nice handlebar” or to ask “is that real?”

65 Silvio June 28, 2013 at 4:21 am

Been dedicating the past 7m+ to building my manly manscape and its awesome. Only bummer is that i cant join the mustache club because though the extremities on my stache are captain hooked i have an awesome condor nest extremitying from my chin too. Never felt both manlier and classier.

66 Jerry Talbert July 15, 2013 at 6:23 am

For those of you seeking a great wax, I recommend “Oregon wild hair”. A quality product. My order came with a tin of wax, a tube of it to carry with me, and a nice brush. Cheers from North Carolina.

67 manny August 6, 2013 at 2:14 am

I’m growing one out but I’m tempted to cut it but I really want my handlebar mustache. I just have to be patient.

68 J.P. August 12, 2013 at 9:49 pm

I use Captain Fawcett’s wax. It’s kinda pricey, but it’s the best I’ve tried so far. There is a pleasant scent to it as well. Best of luck gentlemen!

69 Gentleman Jason August 16, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I’ve had handle bars on and off for 7 years. I am regrowing yet again for Movember. I always go bees wax. Local Rite-Aid or CVS store should carry it. I’m extending the foundation of the mustache this time to wider on my face. Much love to all the mustache wearers and appreciators.

70 Fatman August 22, 2013 at 1:58 pm

today i begin my journey… my part is flawless i am ready to join the ranks of great men everywhere…

71 Mac October 12, 2013 at 2:54 pm

I’ve never used any store-bought products. I’ve always used a homemade Beeswax/Vaseline mix. Simply warm the Beeswax over heat on the stove, and add Vaseline. More Vaseline= softer, more easily workable wax, more Beeswax= stiffer, stronger hold. I personally prefer a fairly strong wax, and when I’m styling/waxing my ‘stache I use the heat from a hairdryer to make the wax soft enough to spread evenly through the hair. And for those of you who have darker hair, you can get some *natural* hardwood charcoal (none of that nasty briquette stuff) crush/pulverize it to a fine powder, and add that to your wax for a black color. A little bit goes a long way though, so be careful. There are some recipes you can find online. Enjoy!

72 Rock October 22, 2013 at 9:57 pm

I have trimmed my stache a few times before i found this site!!! I just threw the scissors in the trash!! did i do unfixable damage?????

73 Adam October 22, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Thanks! My new handlebar mustache has gotten many positive reviews, and a facebook page a friend put up calling for as many people as possible to convince me not to shave it!

74 Livin' Legend October 23, 2013 at 9:07 pm

I started growing a handlebar nearly a year ago and wore it until just a couple of months ago, when I decided to shave it off intact and create the creepiest, manliest paperweight ever. It was a success, but I have been in a facial hair crises ever since. I went back to the full beard for a bit, then the goatee, then the generic ‘stache. I’ve decided to give the handlebar another go as it was a lovely experience. Only this time, at least initially, I intend to keep it quite trimmed and minimalist (think Dustin Hoffman in Hook) as my mustache grows thick enough to allow a short center while the sides provide more than enough body for the curls. If I dislike the look, I’ll allow the rest of it to grow out. It should be curlable in time for Mowvember.

75 marlon October 24, 2013 at 12:40 pm

I have a question guys

How important is it to part your moustache down the middle? Is it merely a matter of choice?

Dont know if to begin parting my moustache or leave the hair over the lip

76 Da Gunna October 26, 2013 at 6:03 am

try villain moustache wax, it works fine and dandy…

77 Da Gunna October 26, 2013 at 6:06 am

movember is almost upon us, are you prepared?

78 Tom November 1, 2013 at 2:26 pm

it has been my experience that Clubman’s Wax is terrible. I havent had good result using it.

79 MCM November 5, 2013 at 11:32 pm

I’ve had a long mustache for a few years but have only recently started curling it into a handlebar. I’m using a product called Stache Bomb made in Maine. Seems to hold pretty well but I’m have a slight problem with one side holding a curl better than the other. Anyone got an answer as to why?

80 joe November 7, 2013 at 10:32 pm

I’ve had my handlebar since March, I started with clubman because that’s what I could find , but then found firehouse moustache wax, works great. It is a commitment, and somedays I threaten to shave it off but I just can’t do it, lol, maybe ill keep it for a year then decide. Have fun growing yours if you decide to!

81 Don November 11, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I Agree with others Clubmans not the best ill use it only when i run out i prefer Colonel Conks works great when you get the curls the way you like them.I hold mine for a few seconds thats what works for me anyway I have
mine in a Vandyke and Colonel Conks works for the point its almost 8 inches and my handle bars are the same

82 Dalton November 12, 2013 at 6:32 pm

I recently retired from the military and consequently lived all of my 39 years clean-shaven. In the six months since retirement, I have been experimenting with the wide world of facial hair. Around the first of October, I decided to stop trimming my moustache so I could attempt to sport a handlebar for Movember. It was the best decision I could have made.
After reading through some of the ‘stache wax review sites, I settled on Firehouse Moustache Wax (Dark for the body and Wacky Tacky for the curls). I have to say it is exactly what I expected and more! I highly recommend it, even though it is the only one I have tried. It works well for taming my unruly mouth brow, resulting in a presentable and gentlemanly lip accessory.
This article, among others was a big help and certainly enjoyable. Now I must decide whether I should keep the “Mo” after month’s end. I believe I shall…

83 Christopher November 12, 2013 at 8:43 pm

I’ve been growing my handlebars for a little over a year now, last time I shaved was Halloween ’12. When they started curling at the ends, around New Year’s, I’d twist and play with them all day long. (Drove my girlfriend up a wall.) At first I was using Stern moustache wax, those Europeans make a good wax. But I got some advice concerning pomade for a good hold. I use Layrite Super Hold in my hair, and currently also to hold my handlebars in place.
My advice to growers is: don’t trim it for the first few months, just let it grow, comb it a lot, and mold it into shape. When it gets long enough to fit your mental picture, then start trimming away split ends or strays. I see mine like my own personal bonsai tree. (remember Mr. Miyagi telling Daniel-san how to trim his tree?) And don’t be afraid to experiment with different products. Hungarian or German wax is typically considered the best you can get.

84 Tyler December 6, 2013 at 7:28 am

Question: How long should one’s mustache be before you can start putting wax in?

85 John December 21, 2013 at 11:20 am

I’ve had mine for 12 years now. I use “Got To Be Glued” hair gel/glue for mine. The gel washes out real easy and the glue allows you to go out in the rain without it drooping real bad. The glue is a pain to wash out though. These are the products that kids use to spike their hair which is why I tried it.

86 Matt December 23, 2013 at 2:43 pm

I have been growing a stache for two months and I have found myself wondering how to style it while waiting for it to fully grow in? I have what I would call a pencil handlebar. Not very full but I can get a tiny curl at the ends.

87 California William January 21, 2014 at 11:48 pm

I grew mine out and have got nothing but compliments from both guys and gals. “Awesome” and “Cool moustache!” comments from strangers every time I go out. I’ve noticed several comments come from fellows with much more sedate and small moustaches.(jealousy!). The ladies notice and luv a well groomed, waxed, and curled ‘stache. The ends of my mou are now about 3″ on a side. Whether in a suit, southwestern shirt and jeans, or semi-casual, you always look more of a gentleman with a handlebar.

88 seclark007 February 6, 2014 at 1:36 pm

my poor American warrior brothers – who cannot grow facial hair, I lament your loss. I wore my handlebar as a Sr NCO in the Canadian Military, and the only time I caught hell is when the CSM could see it from behind me! I’ve never curled mine, opting for the horizontal handles. I got rid of it for 5 years or so – only the handles, never the stache – but have started growing them out again since Christmas. Very proud to say that I have an inch and a half sticking out on either side!

I’ve always used Clubman, and never had any trouble…but will try some of the waxes you have mentioned.

Happy growing, gentlemen!

S

89 Tyler February 8, 2014 at 7:11 pm

I started growing a beard back in Movember and have kept it since. I was trimming my upper lip until a couple weeks ago. If I continue to leave it alone for 3 months or so will it come out ok? Or will the fact that the sides weren’t trimmed make it look unbalanced?

90 Nate April 1, 2014 at 10:09 am

I started mine January 17th and on March 28th my mustache wax arrived in the mail and I can proudly say “Achivement unlocked: Handlebar complete” It was trying especially towards the end when I started having it sneak into my mouth when eating but my curled tips are now slightly wider than my mouth. I’m extremely happy with clubman and would recommend it. It has a nice fresh scent and holds my very resistant mustache well.

91 Michael April 8, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Hello gentlemen,

Great website, I am half way through growing my handlebar. I have begun styling it, but it’s still just a baby curl. :)

Thanks for all the great info.