Movember 2012: Fighting Prostate & Testicular Cancer With Mustaches

by Brett & Kate McKay on October 22, 2012 · 31 comments

in Blog

Hark!

That most virile of seasons is once again upon us. It is time for Movember.

For those of you who are new to the site, every November AoM takes part in an annual, month-long fundraiser called Movember. Started in 2003, Movember is a yearly global charitable campaign that celebrates the mustache while highlighting and raising money for men’s health issues–specifically prostate cancer, testicular cancer, and male depression. During the month of November, men grow a mustache and raise funds for charities like the Prostate Cancer Foundation.

We’re going to be celebrating Movember here on the Art of Manliness website by inviting readers to grow a mo during the month of November. Last year the AoM Movember team raised over $49,000! I know we can top that goal this year. Ready to join us in the fight against prostate cancer? Here’s what to do.

How Movember Works:

1. Awesomely manly Aussie and Movember veteran Shaun Daws has started an Art of Manliness team on the Movember site. As team captain, he’ll be keeping an eye on the leader board and encouraging you along.

To join the Art of Manliness team, you must register on the Movember site. You must register as a “team member” so we can keep track of your progress. You can register for the AoM Movember team by clicking on one of the following links depending on where you live.

2. On November 1you must start out clean shaven. You will then commence the growing of your beautiful, hairy mustache masterpiece. You cannot shave your mo until Nov. 30, and you must adhere to the following grooming rules:

• There is to be no joining of the Mo at the sideburns–that’s a beard.
  • There is to be no joining of the handlebars at the chin–that’s a goatee.
  • A small complimentary growth under the chin is allowed (aka The Tickler).

3. During the month, hit up friends and family to sponsor your mustache-growing and donate to the cause. Raise as much money as you can! Basically this is like a walkathon, but instead of getting people to sponsor you for doing laps in a windsuit, you get people to sponsor the growing of your manly mustache. It will be hard to restrain your friends and family from donating.

4. Shaun has created a Movember Group in the Art of Manliness Community. Join the group and encourage your brothers. Shaun will be posting news, pictures, and updates, and you should do likewise. Let everyone see how your stache is progressing!

5. If you don’t have the cojones to grow a mustache (or if you don’t have cojones, period) you can still donate to the AoM Movember Team. Ditto for those who, like me, already have an awesome mustache, and don’t want to shave it off.

Men, this is your big chance to grow the mustache you’ve always dreamed of having but been too scared to attempt. The beauty of Movember is that during the early growing stage, the stage where the newly formed mustache’s appearance is so unsightly that men give up and shave, you have a ready and worthy excuse for why you look sort of skeevy. People will not only abstain from laughing at you, men will pat you on the back and women will kiss you with joy. Then, at the end of the month, when the awesomeness of your stache is in full bloom, people will be in such awe of your cookie duster that they will beg you not to shave it off. It’s win-win here, folks.

Show Your Art of Manliness Movember Team Pride With a T-shirt

After you sign up for the AoM Movember team, be sure to pre-order an official Art of Manliness Movember Team T-shirt. The fine folks at TankFarm Clothing will be donating $7 of every purchase to the Art of Manliness Movember Team. T-shirts will be shipped before the start of Movember, so you’ll have it during the month. It’s just another way you can support the battle against prostate and testicular cancer and help propel the AoM Movember Team to victory. Plus, it’s an excellent conversation starter and way to let people know why there’s furry caterpillar sitting on your upper lip.

Saddleback Leather Company Dopp Kit + Classic Shaving Gear + Art of Manliness Collection = One Awesomely Manly Prize

Besides being rewarded with a great looking mustache, the Art of Manliness team member who raises the most money for the AoM Team will also receive the following prize package:

Chestnut, medium-sized Saddleback Leather Travel Case

Saddleback’s Travel Case is the ultimate man’s dopp kit. Made with thick, full-grain boot leather, it comes with a 100 year guarantee. And packed inside this manly piece of tack you’ll find the following classic shaving gear:

Merkur Safety Razor

Badger Hair Shaving Brush

Art of Shaving Sandalwood Shaving Cream (my personal favorite)

Col. Conk Mustache Wax (for your new mustache)

Art of Manliness Collection Boxed Set

We’re also throwing in a signed edition of our Art of Manliness Collection. This vintage inspired cigar box contains both of our books as well as six coasters bearing manly iconography and quotes.

Contest is open to men 18 years and older living in countries in which we’ve created an AoM Movember Team. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited.

I hope you will join us this year in this noble and charitable cause. Last year the AoM team came in 12th place in fundraising among all the teams in the US. Fire up your mustache-growing and help us move into the top ten this year! Onward mustached soldiers!

1 waykno October 22, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Outstanding cause!!! Please don’t take this the wrong way and it matters not, but your definition of goatee is not what I think it is–what you describe is called a “Van Dyke”–where the mustache and chin hair join. A goatee is on the chin only. I hope you raise mucho deniro.

2 Donald MIller October 22, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I live in Argentina, how do I get a team started here?

3 Justin October 22, 2012 at 7:41 pm

As soon as I clear it with my boss- I’m in! I’ve wanted to do this for a long time, but never got around to it. With a team already waiting for me to join how could I not sign up?

4 Dan October 22, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I’m in. It’s going to be a cold couple weeks to start the month, though.

5 George October 22, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I’ll cheat and shave the beard let the mustache grow out then donate some money to the team and my mates who do it, it was really big last year.

6 Jared October 22, 2012 at 9:33 pm

“Movember” is all well and good, but I still prefer “No-Shave November.” Considering I rock a healthy beard (left over from a Septem-beard celebration), I won’t be returning to clean shaven. However, a donation will be coming soon.

7 Jeremy October 22, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Well, I don’t really want to shave the mustache I have going now, but I’m going to try to recruit others into this worth cause of manliness and health.

8 JamesArmstrong October 22, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I’m in! I usually sport a Van Dyke, but I’ll go baby-faced for the cause!

9 OkOkOk October 23, 2012 at 8:29 am

Can hairy women also participate Movember? My mother-in-law can out mustache me anyday.

10 J. Delancy October 23, 2012 at 8:33 am

Way to show good corporate citizenship and encourage a more manly look at the same time.

Every success

11 Peter October 23, 2012 at 9:09 am

I successfully participated last year. However 4 weeks was not enough time to grow the mustache I had envisioned. I’m starting 2 weeks earlier this year.

12 Nicholas October 23, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Why do you need to be over eighteen to join the team. One of my best friends has been rocking a full beard and moustache since grade six.

13 Jake October 23, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I have used col. Ichabod conk’s moustache wax-smells great but nothing compares to Firehouse Moustache wax hold. Good luck to all.

14 Ben October 24, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I shaved until last year, and reading this convinced me to once again grow the largest possible mustache. Thanks for the inspiration, not going back.

15 Joe Korzo October 24, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Is it just me or does the movember website not work? I’ve been trying to get on for about two weeks now.

16 Sergiu October 25, 2012 at 1:57 am

Too bad my mustache looks terrible. Hair doesn’t grow directly under the nose. I will still try though

17 Jared P October 27, 2012 at 1:42 am

Just signed up, now on board! I actually already sport a moustache + lower lip duster, so the biggest deal for me will be the shave at the start. I can probably count on one hand how many times I’ve been clean-shaven in my life.

18 Sparticus October 30, 2012 at 4:18 am

I wish I could grow a stache. My wife doesn’t like them. A handlebar would look pretty sweet.

19 Nathan E. Ribelin October 30, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Count me in… I’m currently in Afghanistan with the US Army as a UH-60 MEDEVAC pilot, this is one of the few things from home I can participate in. Thanks for setting up the team! I certainly hope I get the shave swag… I’ve just gotten into the wet shaving club and I’m loving it.

20 G.M. Schooley October 30, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Great cause! I am excited to finally have the support to grow a mustache :P

21 JE Porter October 30, 2012 at 11:22 pm

I’m IN like Flynn!

22 Matt October 31, 2012 at 11:17 am

I’d do this, but I’m currently sporting my playoff beard (football). I can’t shave it off!

23 Derek November 1, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Here’s wishing I could grow something that would be recognizable from more than a foot away (at its fullest, I might look like Joe Dirt). I am with you in spirit, if not in facial hair!

24 Christopher November 1, 2012 at 4:07 pm

MOVEMBER 1

Brothers!

Here we are on the cusp of war, with prostate and testicular cancer standing between us and the happiness we derive from our nether regions. Our weapons are dull, our hands untrained in combat. We have awaited this day for weeks in uneasy anticipation of what is to come, of the judgment and the humiliation that will meet us at every turn. Our women and children shudder and even shed tears at the thought of this day and the ones that follow.

And yet, we do not waver. We do not back down from the costly call of manly honor. Why?

I look out over the room in which I sit and see the shaven lips of men who do nothing, as fear and testicular cancer consume everything that is dear to them. They are smart, successful, and capable of doing great things, yet they tremble in the shadow of fear, unmanning themselves with the blade at the mere sight of stubble on their upper lip. They fear the judgment of their peers and the thought of being cast aside.

But, we, my friends, have courage. Of course, we feel the same fear. Yes, we, too, have felt the shame that cripples those same men. We, gentlemen, are very different men.

We don’t shrink at the realization that we will be the subject of countless jokes and the topic of every conversation in every place we go. Even our friends and family will, if haven’t already, disclaime us for our decision to fight back, for deciding to walk away from the ninety-nine percent of those cowardly men who sit back and let cancer take the precious nectar that breathes precious life into everything that we are.

We refuse to unman ourselves because, to us, the taking of a razor to the face during Movember is the same thing as taking a knife to our own manhood. If cancer is allowed to eat away at our testicles, how can castration be any different from removing our mustaches?

Gentlemen, it is no different, and we know that.

Unlike those cowards, we have accepted the responsibility and embraced the struggle.

Some say cancer, our most hated foe, is unstoppable. After all, how can you kill an enemy that cannot bleed, a foe that somehow pieces itself back together when you tear it apart? A foe whose origins are mysterious and whose weapons have taken so many from our ranks. How are we to do battle with such an enemy?

I’ll tell you how: with our mustaches.

We will grow them, and they will be glorious. Our hairy upper lip is the weapon which only men of our caliber may wield, and we will wield it like no man has ever before. Tales of our glory will spread far and wide. Coin will overflow into our Movember account, and with it, we will buy knowledge. Knowledge is power, my friends. With knowledge, we will destroy the pestilence that plague our pelotas and breathe life back into our fallen comrades.

Don’t get me wrong. We have a long road ahead of us. Movember will be long and our struggles, at times, intolerable. But, we will endure, and we will push back against our foe at every turn.

As you can see, my brothers, the very best qualities displayed by our enemy are equaled or even bettered by the very traits that make us men of the stache.

Into battle we go.

Fight bravely, my brothers.

TO MUSTACHES AND MEN! HOORAH!

25 Colin November 1, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Unfortunately, the moustache is the only part of my facial hair that does not grow in a respectable manner, so instead of participating in Movember, I will be growing a beard (sans moustache) and participating in “No-shave November,” or “Novem-beard” if you will.

26 Joe Fahnestock November 2, 2012 at 4:51 pm
27 mik November 3, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Sorry gents, CO issued a no moustache decree.

28 Edward November 5, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Movember has been pretty great so far. Started the 30 days to a better man challenge on the first, as well as started the mustache, and I just ordered an awesome shirt commemorating the whole thing. Grow on.

29 Ray Pritchett November 7, 2012 at 9:31 am

Starting a bit late but a few of us deployed in Afghanistan are now all in for MOVEMBER!

I’ve already turned heads with my DE razor and shave soap but my excitement over a Merkur would blow everyone’s mind!

30 JT November 8, 2012 at 1:47 am

Hey guys,

A little late to the party, but I plan on donating and picking up one of those T-shirts. Awesome cause to be a part of, and this will be the second year I’m participating in some way.

The only thing I’m missing this Movember is that our local sports team isn’t participating this year due to the hockey lockout.

31 Jason October 9, 2013 at 6:53 am