Beyond Toilet Paper: How to Treat Shaving Nicks and Cuts

by Brett on October 16, 2012 · 75 comments

in Dress & Grooming, Shaving

No matter how careful you may be, shaving nicks and cuts are bound to happen. The go-to remedy for most gents is to simply apply small pieces of toilet paper to their little wounds and wait for them to clot up. While effective, it can take a long time for the bleeding to stop. And (in my experience at least), it’s easy to forget that you have unsightly pieces of bloody tissue paper on your face before you walk out the door. Nothing ruins a first impression like bloody pieces of toilet paper plastered to your face.

Below, I offer some alternative remedies that go beyond toilet paper squares for treating and stopping the bleeding on minor shaving cuts. I’ll also cover what to do if you fall victim to a super serious shaving casualty.

Treatments for Small Nicks and Cuts

Products Specially Made for Shaving Cuts

There are a variety of products out there that are specially made for treating small shaving cuts. While the way in which they are applied differs, the active ingredient in all of these products is an astringent. Astringents constrict the tissues in your skin and coagulate and dry the blood in your cuts.

Styptic pencils. Your grandpa probably had one of these in his shaving kit. A styptic pencil is a small stick made of mineral astringents like anhydrous aluminum sulfate, potassium alum, or titanium dioxide. To use a styptic pencil, just wet the tip a bit and press it against your nick for a few seconds. It stings a little, but the pain is worth it, as the bleeding usually stops. Quick tip: After you apply the pencil, give your face a once over in the mirror before you head out the door. In my experience, it leaves a white, powdery residue where you applied it. Rinse it off so you don’t arrive at work looking like you just polished off a pack of Hostess white powder donuts in the car.

Alum block. This consists of a bar-of-soap-sized block of potassium alum that you wet, and rub on your face after shaving. It works pretty much the same way as a styptic pencil – shrinking the skin’s tissues and stymying the flow of blood. The only difference is that while the styptic pencil is for spot-treatments, alum blocks are for treating your entire face. This can come in handy if you’re trying out straight razor shaving for the first time, as you’ll likely have multiple nicks all over your face, making you look like some creepy, bleeding religious statue on Unsolved Mysteries. Shudder.

I know several gents who use alum blocks post-shave even if they don’t have any nicks or cuts. Besides acting as astringents, the minerals in an alum block also have antiseptic qualities which can help prevent razor burn. Also, the tingly sensation it gives the skin just feels nice.

Special shaving nick rollers and gels. In recent years, a few companies have developed products that have the blood-stopping capability of the styptic pencil, but with less sting and white chalky residue. In addition to aluminum chloride to stop the bleeding, these rollers and gels have ingredients like aloe and vitamin E to help soothe your skin. Pacific Shaving Company Stick, My Nik Is Sealed, and Prorasso Styptic Gel are three popular specialty shaving nick products.

Aftershaves (or skin bracers).  The alcohol in many aftershaves acts as an astringent, and so can help slow bleeding a bit. If your aftershave has witch hazel in it as well, even better – it’s a potent astringent too. And alcohol also acts as an antiseptic, which can help prevent skin infections like razor burn. To top it all off, aftershaves leave you smelling awesomely manly. I know many men who don’t like the skin bracing sting of aftershaves, but I personally enjoy it. Wakes me up a bit!

If you’re looking for suggestions on an aftershave, I highly recommend checking out our guide to old-school drug store colognes and aftershaves. If they were good enough for grandpa, they’re good enough for us.

Home Remedies You Can Use in a Pinch

If you don’t want to get a special product to deal with your shaving wounds, or you’re in a pinch and don’t have your go-to remedy on hand, these methods can also offer relief for your nicks and cuts.

Cold water. Even if you do favor the use a product specially made for shaving cuts, splashing cold water on your face should always be your first go-to remedy when you nick yourself. Cold water can be all you need, and you’re almost sure to have it on hand. When using this remedy, the colder the water, the better. It will cause your blood vessels to constrict, causing the flow of blood to slow and eventually clot. For faster and more effective results, try rubbing an ice cube on the cut.

Anti-Perspirant. If you don’t have a styptic pencil or alum block on hand, dab a bit of your anti-perspirant deodorant on your wound.  The aluminum chloride in anti-perspirants not only prevents sweating, but it also acts as an astringent.

Lip balm. Lip balm can help stop the bleeding from shaving nicks in a pinch. The waxy texture helps seal the wound and allows a clot to form.

Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline). Applying a small amount of Vaseline to your nick does the same thing as lip balm. Just make sure to wipe it off before you leave the house.

Listerine. That’s right. The stuff you use to make your mouth feel all fresh and clean can also be applied to your shaving nicks. After all, it did actually start out as a surgical antiseptic and was used to clean wounds on the battlefields of WWI.

Keeps your mouth smelling fresh and your face looking great.

I learned about the Listerine-as-aftershave trick after seeing several Listerine ads in a bunch of old men’s magazines touting the benefits in bracing the skin after a good shave. I actually gave Listerine a try as an aftershave after I saw these ads, and was pleasantly surprised by the results. Yes, it stung like hell, but I’ll be darned if the few small nicks I had on my neck stopped bleeding. And the antiseptic tingle felt great on my skin. And my cheeks smelled minty fresh.

Other surprising uses for Listerine that I picked up from those old ads include treating skin rashes and dandruff. They also advertised it as a treatment for sore throats and colds…at least until the Federal Trade Commission told them that was baloney and to knock it off in the 70s.

A bit of related trivia: Aqua Velva aftershave was originally marketed exclusively as a mouthwash for men in the 1920s. It’s wasn’t until 1935 that it was pitched as an aftershave. Not sure if today’s Aqua Velva formula would allow it to still be used as a mouthwash. Anybody know?

When all else fails… toilet paper. Your results may vary with the above remedies. If none of them work for you, there’s always good old-fashioned toilet paper squares.

Treatments For “Oh, Sh**” Cuts and Lacerations

Most shaving nicks and cuts will just result in some spotty bleeding that can be stopped quickly using any of the above methods. But every now and then, you’ll have one of those slips of the wrist that create a gusher of a cut. No amount of styptic penciling or toilet papering will stop blood from pouring from these wounds. These more serious shaving cuts usually happen near the lips, underneath an earlobe, or on the neck and are more likely to occur with a straight razor than with a safety or cartridge razor. So if you’re getting started with straight razor shaving, make sure you’re completely focused on what you’re doing.

If you find yourself with a gusher, follow these steps.

Apply firm pressure over the wound. Get a Kleenex and press down on the point where the bleeding is the most severe. Hold for five minutes. If the bleeding stops, clean the wound with hydrogen peroxide and an antibiotic cream, like Neosporin, to prevent infection. (You don’t want your name added to the list of men who have died from shaving.) If necessary, apply a band-aid over the wound. Yes, you’ll look silly, but it’s a small price to pay to learn and master the fine art of shaving like your great-grandpa.

Pinch and hold the bleeding area.  If firm pressure for five minutes doesn’t stop the bleeding, use your thumb and index fingers to pinch the skin together from which the blood is flowing. That should help close the vessel. If bleeding stops, clean, and apply antibiotic ointment. Bandage if necessary.

Apply pressure directly above and below the wound. If pinching doesn’t work and bleeding is still heavy and steady, try pressing down firmly on your skin directly above and below the wound.

Go to the hospital. If none of the above works, and you’re still bleeding like a stuck pig, have someone take you to the emergency room. You’re probably going to need stitches. At least you’ll have a cool scar on your face. Just don’t tell people you got it while shaving.

Any other tips on treating shaving nicks and wounds? How about a story where you nicked yourself really bad while shaving? Share them with us in the comments!

1 Blake October 16, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Styptic Pen! FEEL THE BURN!

2 Nicky October 16, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Cayenne powder is a powerful styptic herb (in addition to adding a nice kick to Mexican dishes). It will burn going on, but it will stop the bleeding quickly. Comfrey powder works extremely well too, but I doubt many people will have that on hand at a moment’s notice. I would personally suggest using a balm with arnica after the bleeding has stopped. It will heal the cut quickly and stop the pain. These have turned out to be two of the handiest items in my first aid kit. Just my two cents.

3 Joe October 17, 2012 at 12:11 am

I shave every day with a straight razor. I get very close shaves. I do not cut myself. The secret is to go slow and careful. I actually cut myself more when I used to use a safety razor. I’m not sure why, maybe its because the blade is sharper and you can’t feel what’s going on as much.

I never use a styptic pencil or anything like that. I do use a splash of 70% alcohol (cheap stuff from Target). If has anything beyond a tingle, it means I’ve over-shaved and should be more careful. I think it does help sterilize the skin.

I certainly did cut myself while learning to straight razor shave. It took about 3 months to get to a reasonable shaving level with cuts being unusual. It took about 9 months to get excellent shaves with no cuts. It keeps getting better. Now the only time I get anything like a cut is if I’m pushing it with slicing ATG passes.

4 Chris October 17, 2012 at 1:32 am

Witchhazel works really well too. It’s an astringent and can be used as aftershave. Good for preventing razor burn/bumps and helps acne too.

5 Liam October 17, 2012 at 1:51 am

I would just like to point out at this stage that the outer layers of skin are avascular. This means they have no connection to a blood supply and whilst I know it was neither suggested nor inferred within the article this means that no nutrients can be absorbed into the skin from the outside. So if you want healthy skin stop wasting money on useless creams and re-invest it in some fresh and healthy food. You are what you eat!

6 Adam October 17, 2012 at 2:01 am

As a college student who is fairly new to straight razor shaving. Thank you.

7 PA Sunter October 17, 2012 at 2:32 am

Beard prep is also very important for preventing nicks and cuts. A well-prepped face will allow the blade to glide over the skin.

As for post-shave rituals, I use a cold water rinse, let air dry, splash of witch hazel, let air dry, then aftershave of choice.

Witch hazel is an astringent and does not sting as much as after shaves, but leaves the skin feeling smooth, tight, and moisturized. It also adds a subtle complexity to your aftershave scent.

8 Britaliano October 17, 2012 at 2:40 am

I moved to double edge / safety shaving a couple of months ago and cut my face to shreds early on.

Just as important as remedy is prevention, good shaving technique is essential.

Short strokes with the correct angle and no pressure other than the weight of the razor are important, as is a good lather.

I use an alum block all over my face after shaving, even though I now do not get anywhere near as many or as serious cuts.

The alum block feels like it tightens the skin. Feels good.

After that, if any cuts persist, a dab for a few seconds with a wet styptic pen and the cut is gone.

I have to remember to check the area before I leave the house as the styptic pen does leave a white mark that looks like I was brushing my nose with toothpaste and forgot to rinse fully.

9 Galaad October 17, 2012 at 4:44 am

My dad teach me to use cigarettes rolling paper, especially the sticky part of it. It really works great for little wounds and stop bleeding really fast. Moreover, nearly every rolled-cigarettes chain-smoker always carry some. But of course I still looks idiots when i forget to remove it.

Cheers from France :D

10 Cosine October 17, 2012 at 4:55 am

You forgot to mention leeches. Everytime I get a razor cut I just plop one of those suckers on my face-wound, then when I’m ready to leave for work I just smother it with salt, and presto!

By the way, this has got to be * the * last comment boards in the internet that doesn’t require a captcha for readers to post.

11 Jim Cooke October 17, 2012 at 7:39 am

I remember the styptic pencil! And I remember watching my grandfather shave with a straight razor – once-a-week, like clock work – just as he took a bath once-a-week wether he needed one or not. Of course, today: Clocks no longer have “works”.
Your post has given me a new stage/screen name – Nick Roller!

12 Curzen October 17, 2012 at 7:59 am

A Styptic Pen was the best 2$ I spent when switching from cartridge to safety razor around last Christmas. Switching to a safety razor was also the best cost saving measure in regards to shaving and made shaving more fun, although more bloody initially.

13 Anthony October 17, 2012 at 8:23 am

I never liked styptic pencils: after a couple of uses of getting wet-and-then-dry, the pencil would have little bumps all over the tip. And I couldn’t tell that it made much difference anyway.

I find the best thing to do is shave early in your routine, then let it naturally clot (help it with the TP if necessary). After it’s clotted for 10 or 15 minutes, you can wash the blood off: just make sure you dab with a wet washcloth instead of wiping. This works especially well if you can shave the night before.

14 Rob October 17, 2012 at 8:28 am

Blast air from hair drier set on cold. Blood solidifies fast.

15 Jess October 17, 2012 at 8:42 am

Love the styptic pen. Walmart has a “travel size” Clubman pen for $0.97, but it’s pretty big. Works great!

16 Jack October 17, 2012 at 8:51 am

I have a good technique that avoids getting nicks and cuts all together. Don’t shave, grow a beard, the bigger and bushier the better!

17 Chris October 17, 2012 at 9:07 am

I have been using styptic pencil for years thanks to my step dad. It works, they are cheap, get one!

18 Arlen October 17, 2012 at 9:08 am

My post shave routine usually takes care of nicks and cuts.

1. Warm water rinse
2. Alum block
3. Cold water Rinse
4. Witch Hazel
5. After shave or balm
6. If necessary, use styptic pen.

19 Dusty October 17, 2012 at 9:11 am

I took an Animal Restraint course as an undergraduate, and we had a veterinarian who specialized in avian medicine teach us how to clip birds’ nails/claws on their feet. Well, if we accidentally clip too much and they bleed, one way he showed how to stop the bleeding is by applying a bit of heat from friction (rubbing on the end with your thumb), which closes the ends of the capillaries back up.

Well, I found that a really warm (nearly hot) shower will also close those small vessels and capillaries that get nicked almost instantly. If you feel a short but recognizable sting from the water on your face, you know that it’s hot enough. Works like a charm, and more than 99% of the time, there’s zero bleeding when you finish showering. It’s counterintuitive, but it works much faster than cold water, I have found. Another advantage is that you’re all cleaned up, to boot.

20 Charles October 17, 2012 at 9:19 am

My childhod barber used to agressively dab the nick with talc…rub some dirt on it & walk it off. Same concept.

21 CDS October 17, 2012 at 9:51 am

The worst cut I had while shaving was back when I was in college. I was just going through my normal routine when something distracted me. (I don’t remember if it was a phone or the doorbell that rang.) Either way, the combination of me turning my head and moving my hand away caused me to drag about 1.5 inches of skin PARALLEL to the blades in the razor, leaving a nice set of parallel cuts on my chin. It wasn’t anything major, but after that, you can be sure I made sure to always pull the razor AWAY from my face before doing anything else.

22 Ted Slampyak October 17, 2012 at 10:27 am

I use my styptic pencil often, and I find it works great! Thanks, Dad!

23 Erik October 17, 2012 at 10:52 am

I see someone already gave my suggestion. Ground cayenne really does quickly stop the bleeding.

24 David Vega October 17, 2012 at 10:58 am

Don’t forget to use Neosporin after, it is a godsend for healing cuts and not leaving scars.

25 Jonny October 17, 2012 at 11:31 am

Thankfully, I forgot about this problem by using electric razor and trimmer.

26 Bryan October 17, 2012 at 11:39 am

Or grow out the beard.

27 George October 17, 2012 at 12:35 pm

My father taught me that a dab of Turkish coffee grounds/powder works extremely well at coagulating a cut so it will stop bleeding. To this day, I keep a small jar in my bathroom for just this occasional use.

28 Joe W. October 17, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I hate the way styptic pencils make my hands feel, so I purchased Nick Relief Powder from the Classicshaving.com. It works the same except you apply it with a wet q-tip. The tan color is not as noticeable if you forget to rinse it off also.

29 Samuel W October 17, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Styptic for the win, but I’m gonna have to try the alum block!

30 Ryan McKibben October 17, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Johnny, stop kidding yourself, you’re living a lie with the electric razor. I made the switch 2 months ago and it’s actually had a positive effect on many aspects of my life, more than I would have guessed at the start. It’s a skill with a learning curve for sure, but the small mistakes that come with learning a skill are well worth the feeling I now have every morning. I can’t remember ever wanting to say the same with the electric razor. For anyone out there with some reserve about taking on the manly art of shaving like I had, make the switch, you’ll be glad you did.

31 Christopher V October 17, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I don’t like styptic pencils either especially after you use them and they become pointy. I purchased Proraso Styptic Gel from chicagoshaving.com and use this when I cut myself. You just apply a small dab and the cut seals up and will stop bleeding.

32 Mike October 17, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I always use a styptic pencil. It doesn’t sting all that much and only for a second. The bleeding stops quickly and I am on my way.

33 Alejandro October 17, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I always shave at night, right before I take a shower and go to bed. I have a heavy beard, so this lets my skin heal while I sleep. Usually, splashes of cold water take care of it. If I have a really bad cut, I put Neosporin on it and then cover it up with a Band-Aid – again, at night.

34 L. T. October 17, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I have a styptic pencil at the ready but I haven’t cut myself in quite a while. I went back to traditional safety razors (vintage Gillette adjustables) and use fresh Feather blades. I use just enough pressure to keep the razor on my face and usually have them set at the highest exposures (8 or 9). Post shave routine is:

cold water rinse
pat dry with towel
Thayer’s WH cucumber
AS such as Barbasol Pacific Rush

Not only are cuts and weepers a thing of the past, ingrown hairs have disappeared as well. I have never had skin this good and wish I had gone back to traditional DE shaving years ago.

35 Cody October 17, 2012 at 11:07 pm

My favorite way to avoid razor cuts and razor burn is to not shave at all. Being bearded is better.

36 Rick October 17, 2012 at 11:40 pm

I can honestly say that I’ve never had a serious nick/cut shaving for 5 years. I use a double edge safety razor so I feel it’s valid to give a tip that I haven’t read in this post so far.

Shave then shower – not shower then shave!

I’ve never understood why my father showered then shaved and had to wash his face clean of cream and bristles laying around – why not let a shower do that for you. I found that when I do cut myself – and I’ve had some good cuts – after a shower, the cut will have closed and never dry up to a blood clot. Maybe its the heat, maybe its the water washing the blood, maybe its something else – I’ve never researched it but know it works. My face has never looked like slashed meat, even with tiny nicks my shave always looks clean.

If you decide to do some research then please inform on the outcome – like I said shave then shower is the best way to do it for it washes out the: cream, hairs, and cuts away.

37 B October 18, 2012 at 1:04 am

I haven’t seen this one posted yet so I thought I’d share what works for me; redness relieving eye drops.

A few drops on a piece of toilet paper or wash cloth then patting it on the cuts and they stop shortly there after.

38 Ryan October 18, 2012 at 4:52 am

Petroleum Jelly is usually my favorite method.

39 Ara Bedrossian October 18, 2012 at 7:17 am

The advantage of living in cold winter climes: Minimal shaving!

40 Spence October 18, 2012 at 10:17 am

I have great success with yarrow leaf. Just rub a bit between your fingers and then on the cut. We grow it in the garden.

41 Warren October 18, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Some good ideas here that I can’t wait to try. Think I’ll nick myself tomorrow just to try out one or two. Seriously, styptic pencils work, but they get yucky pretty quickly. Try buying a box of alum from the spice shelf. Keep a bit of it in a small container and, when necessary, just wet a finger, touch it to the powder, then apply it to the nick. Keeps forever, and is dirt cheap.

42 jaklumen October 19, 2012 at 3:03 am

No mention of tea tree oil? I started putting a small bottle of it in my medicine cabinet. After shaving with a double edge and a lather mixture of glycerine soap and maybe a little mineral oil, I’d follow up with the tea tree oil on a cotton pad. It either helped with some finishing touches again with the razor or cleaned up what mess was left, including a little blood from a nick or two.

43 David Edwards October 19, 2012 at 11:15 am

Styptic pencils work wonders (and they’re cheap as anything!) Before I discovered them though, I had to make do with the lip balm trick. It does work, but make sure you take the balm out with you, as it isn’t effective for all that long; I remember a year or 2 ago, I had to keep running to the loo in the pub to stick this stuff on my face after a particularly nasty cut. I think people thought I’d ‘broken the seal’ pretty early on in the evening, but it’s better than bleeding into your pint!

44 Garret October 19, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I’ve got a good system that’s served me well to deal with cuts. After each shave, I’ll splash myself with cold water – this helps soothe the skin regardless of if I’ve cut myself or not, and if I have nicked myself a little, it usually stops the bleeding.

I always follow up with aftershave: if there’s a slightly larger cut that the cold water doesn’t get, the aftershave almost always will. Tingly!

My last resort is a Styptic stick – these are for the genuine cuts. The smaller ones – the ones that you can clean up with cold water or aftershave – you don’t always feel or notice. But if you’ve got one that requires a stick, you’ll know. Luckily I don’t get these very often – usually happens if I get distracted or am trying to go too fast.

Make sure to always wash the stypic stick off after you’ve used it! Don’t want the blood drying on there. It looks gross and it stops the stick from working anyways.

45 JC Daniel October 19, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Excellent article, thank you!
And one final tip, gents, don’t forget the Kevin McAllister scream when you use any of these treatments:

46 Phil October 21, 2012 at 12:41 am

I don’t know why it works, but it does: a silver U.S. quarter – from prior to 1964, stops a gusher. Apply by pressing it against the wound and hold it there for a couple of minutes. Wash thoroughly after each use. I keep one in the medicine cabinet just for this purpose. I thought it was some kind of wives tale until I tried it.

47 Scott October 21, 2012 at 7:08 am

You can also use Listerine to get rid of head lice. Just pour it over your head and watch the little “buggers” jump for their lives.

48 tor October 21, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I have to recommend the Mühle’s alun block with a little rope attached to it. I keep my block hanging from a hook next to my towel. Not that I ever use it, but…

49 Mike October 21, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I’m not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but Lucky Tiger’s Vanishing Cream is the most amazing stuff I’ve ever used. It’s main ingredient is stearic acid so it disinfects cuts and stops them from bleeding. I even use it on acne sores and other small cuts and it always works like a charm. Anyone else use their products?

50 Edgar October 23, 2012 at 9:46 am

this may be a dull question but, if i cut while shaving, does my beard grow again? (this is the second time i shave)

51 Matt October 23, 2012 at 10:59 am

For little nicks and cuts I like the styptic pencil, but the best thing I’ve found is when you can take a shower right after you shave and of course wash your face, after your shower you won’t be bleeding anymore and any nicks will be barely noticeable. After the shower I go ahead and splash my face with hot water, dry my hands, wipe off the excess water on my face and with hands and face still moist apply aftershave (I prefer mens lotion to aftershave since it moisturizes your skin and most aftershaves with alcohol will dry the skin) Vaseline makes a mens lotion which works well I like the scent called “strength” it has a great manly smell which my wife and daughter really like.
My daughter recently told me that I smell like a man, which although I’m not sure what that meant I took it as a compliment and assume I’m doing something right!

52 Joseph October 23, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I’ve been using a safety razor for about a year and a half and have been using a custom argan oil blend (argan + essential oils) as my aftershave that really does wonders for my skin. Any small nick or cut is almost instantly healed and any irritation immediately disappears. I highly recommend this product for those of you who shave with a safety razor or straight razor. http://www.purelementnaturals.com/details.html#cid=11064

53 Mike October 28, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Using lemon juice as aftershave works as well as coconut oil as shaving cream

54 Paul November 2, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I put a glob of lotion on the cut and wipe it away before I leave. It’s like magic, leaves no trace of a cut.

55 Dan M November 4, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soap works every time for me. After I’m done shaving, nicks or not, I always use Dr Bronner’s. It gives your face a deep clean feeling and it stops any bleeding from nicks so I’m guessing it has some astringent qualities. Disclaimer: If you have lots of nicks, it’s going to burn like hell for a minute.

56 Matthew W November 9, 2012 at 2:31 am

I have a scar from a straight blade shave from a few months ago. While subbing, a middle schooler asked where it was from. I told him I had gotten sliced with a blade. Close enough to the truth, right?

57 Mike November 27, 2012 at 10:20 am

I just tried Listerine. Didn’t work at all.

58 Kingcrowofoctober December 25, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I straight razor shaved just after I woke up once…haha…first aid in the bathroom that morning. However, it was like a dose of noob-b-gone. Me and my razor got along great after that.

59 Kevin December 29, 2012 at 6:12 pm

I shave in the shower. All that hot water and steam really helps. I wash my head, rinse, then lather up. I leave the lather on while I wash the rest of my body. Then while I move around and let the spray rinse the soap off, I shave.

Works like a charm. If I ever DO cut myself (rarely), I use “My Nik Is Sealed”.

60 Jack December 30, 2012 at 10:04 am

OW! Why would you tell me to use listerene! My face! Oh, my face!

61 Jack December 30, 2012 at 10:05 am

Actually, fair play to you; it has stopped bleeding. I recant my last comment.

62 Benjamin January 18, 2013 at 8:23 am

Real men don’t shave.

63 Crumb Catcher January 24, 2013 at 11:52 am

Hmmmmm, not a being a fan of petrochemicals i stay away from Vaseline and mineral oil. And then there is the alum which does a number on our nervous system, i know that i don’t want to rub that stuff under my arms never mind into an open wound. And lastly talc which has similar properties to asbestos, and has been known to cause tumors in the lungs- We need some healthy organic examples here people! I use tea tree oil mixed with some lavender essential oil and apply it with a cotton swab. Does the job real well! good luck bleeders!

64 John Lund February 1, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Since 1994 I’ve been using this shave oil without any nicks, cuts or razor burn. Why put up with it!

65 Scott Purcell February 3, 2013 at 4:16 am

Listerine works a charm for me! Or you can always try hydrogen peroxide. It helps out stopping bleeding with plenty of cuts!

66 Bruce Grant March 23, 2013 at 11:45 am

Neo-Synephrine nasal decongestant spray (the rapid-acting kind made with phenylephrine, not the long-acting oxymetazoline variety) decongests nasal passages by rapidly constricting the blood vessels in them. The same action makes it one of the most effective ways of stopping nicks from bleeding virtually instantly. Just invert the spray bottle and squeeze a drop onto your fingertip and press it to the nick. Tada!

67 Sully May 1, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Been trying to stop the bleeding from my lip for about a half hour i tried TP, ice, hot water, sugar but nothing worked hopped on here tried the cayenne pepper and the bleeding stopped immediately thanks guys

68 Nathan June 22, 2013 at 2:23 pm

It says on the back of any antiperspirant that you’re not supposed to apply it to broken skin.

69 Honey September 16, 2013 at 7:53 pm

There are effective ways on treating razor burn. Actually most of them can be found in your kitchen. The home remedies for razor burn consist of aloe vera, apple cider vinegar, ice compress, tea tree oil, oatmeal bath and cucumber. You can read the full article here: http://www.ihomeremedy.net/7-effective-home-remedies-for-razor-burn/

70 kiranvarma September 28, 2013 at 6:32 am

Best thing for cuts or any sort of bleeding is direct pressure,other things which are of good help is ice it is vasoconstrictor( reduces blood flow to the area) in case oozing cuts try tea bag
I use these in my clinic on regular basis ,I am dentist ,hope that helps.

71 Shugg November 2, 2013 at 6:13 am

I got a really bad nick this morning the sort you get once or twice a decade, it was still bleeding an hour later, tried cold water, aftershave, alcohol gel, direct pressure, none seemed to be working. so after getting down as far as Scullys post i thought id try the cayenne, It worked a treat, and did’t sing anywhere as much as I thought it might. Result

72 Eveyleen January 29, 2014 at 11:37 am

I’m a lady that shaves her legs and sometimes nick them, I found at Wal-Mart yrs ago, a Slyptic Liquid in a pencil shape container, you took the lid off and it had a soft material cushion at the end and you touched it to your nick and the liquid came through the material and stopped the bleeding. I cannot find it anymore and it came from a co, named Norstar Inc. Can someone help me find it again.. thanks

73 Joseph Barber & Company January 31, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Prepping is Key to prevent nicks. It is also important not to rush, especially if new to a DE razor. After showering and/or prior is best to take a hot towel and steam the beard or stubble. Using a facial scrub prior is also optimal, Edwin Jagger makes a very under rated scrub and so does Taylors of Old Bond Street but it is more like an exfoliate. Using a brush also helps to lift and exfoliates the skin and lift the beard up and a fine shaving cream holds and lifts the beard in place for harvesting.

Also, go with the grain. If you want a really close shave to elude the horrible “5 o’clock shadow”, do a second pass. Mustn’t forget Happy Hour! But most important, let the weight of the razor DO THE WORK. I see this a lot with customers that are use to using disposable razors heads that take extra pressure to get a better shave after clogging and dulling. That is why a good safety razor and razor blade is key! – Staff at Joe-Barber.com

74 green_wonder12 March 9, 2014 at 10:41 pm

There was this one time that I got a least three cuts and a nick. I was really painful. I was being really careful with the razor, but suddenly my brother scared the hell out of me and made me cut deep.
Thanks to this website, I stopped all the bleeding with Listerine.

75 Anshul Punetha March 26, 2014 at 2:40 pm

A better idea..switch to a Philips Aquatouch AT890 electric shaver – you will never need any of these solutions !