How to Tie a Tie

by Brett & Kate McKay on June 5, 2009 · 84 comments

in Accessories, Dress & Grooming

howtotie.jpg

It’s a sad fact, but there are grown men who don’t know how to tie a tie. If they have a big interview that afternoon, they’ll go shopping for a clip-on. Even if a man does know how to tie a tie, their knowledge is often limited to just one necktie knot. But there are several ways to tie a tie. Certain necktie knots should be used with certain shirt collars and tie fabric materials to get the best results for your appearance. Below, we show you three classic necktie knots every man should know and give you the lowdown on when you should use them.

I’ve created videos for each tie knot and also one giant video with them all together. To make it easier for you to follow along with the instructions, I’ve flipped the images. So when you’re watching the video, my right is the same as your right and my left is the same as your left.

How to Tie the Four-In-Hand Tie Knot

Also known as the “schoolboy,” this is probably the most widely used tie knot because it’s so easy to tie. It’s a good tie knot to use if your tie is made of heavier material. It looks best with smaller spread collars.

1. Drape the tie around your neck. The wide end should extend about 12 inches below the narrow end of the tie. Cross the wide part of the tie over the narrow end.

2. Turn the wide end back underneath the narrow end.

3. Continue wrapping the wide end around the narrow end by bringing it across the front of the narrow end again.

4. Pull the wide end up and through the back of the loop.

5. Hold the front of the tie knot with your index finger and bring the wide end down through the front knot.

6. Tighten the knot carefully to the gills by holding the narrow end N and sliding the knot up. Center the knot.

How to Tie the Half Windsor Tie Knot

This is the Windsor Tie knot’s little brother. Like the Windsor, you’re left with a symmetrical triangle tie knot, but the Half Windsor is not as large. This tie knot is appropriate for lighter fabrics and wider ties. It’s best worn with a standard collar.

2. Bring the wide end around and behind the narrow end.

3. Bring the wide end up and pull it down through the hole between your collar and tie.

4. Bring the wide end around the front, over the narrow end from right to left.

5. Bring the wide end up back through the loop again.

6. Pull the wide end down through the knot in front.

7. Tighten the necktie knot and center it with both hands.

How to Tie the Windsor Tie Knot

The Windsor necktie knot gives you a wide triangular tie knot that’s good for more formal settings. This tie knot is best worn with a wide spread collar.

2. Bring the wide end of the tie up through the hole between your collar and the tie. Then pull it down toward the front.

3. Bring the wide end behind the narrow end and to the right.

4. Pull the wide end back through the loop again. You should have a triangle now where the necktie knot will be.

5. Wrap the wide end around the triangle by pulling the wide end from right to left.

6. Bring the wide end up through the loop a third time.

7. Pull the wide end through the knot in front.

8. Tighten the knot and center it with both hands.

How to Tie The Shelby Tie Knot

The Shelby knot is a more obscure knot and was popularized by anchorman Don Shelby in the 1970′s. It works best with wider ties that are made from heavier material.
1. Start with the tie draped inside out around your neck, wide end on the right.

2. Bring the wide end under the narrow end.

3. Bring the wide end up and pull it down through the loop between your neck and your tie. After you pull the wide end all the way through, bring it to the left.

4. Bring the wide end over the knot to the right.

5. Pull the wide end up through the loop between your neck and your tie.

6. Thread the wide end through the knot and pull tight. Center as needed.

All the Knots in One Video

1 Michael June 5, 2009 at 7:54 am

Great videos! Here’s a question I’ve been trying to solve for some time, maybe you can shed some light!

What sort of tie knot does TV anchor Anderson Cooper wear? It has a smooth, thin conical shape to it, and seems a bit longer than traditional knots.

Example here: http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gawker/2008/06/Picture_18-11.png

It sort of looks like a four-in-hand, but not quite.

2 kirk June 5, 2009 at 8:04 am

You forgot to add Bow tie. Very easy and has intimidated people for years. Keep up the good work.

3 Jon June 5, 2009 at 8:23 am

That Shelby knot is interesting, but I can’t see how it is different from a backwards half-windsor. What would make it more suitable for a heavier fabric?

4 John June 5, 2009 at 8:37 am

This is helpful! Thank you!

I was watching Appaloosa last week and notice the bandanna/neckerchief that Viggo Mortensen was wearing. Prior to the showdown with the Shelton brothers, he tied it in a unique way. Do any of you know of a special knot for this sort of thing?

Many thanks,

John

PS – If you haven’t seen the movie, y’all might enjoy it. The portrayal of masculine friendship is wonderful!

5 Barrett June 5, 2009 at 9:21 am

I always forget how to tie a tie in between the times when I’m looking for work and I have to relearn every damn time. Bookmarked this page for sure, thanks for compiling the videos!.

6 Ryan June 5, 2009 at 9:59 am

For those of you who aren’t quite satisfied with the four “classic” knots shown, there were a couple of physicists who calculated the number of possible tie knots.

All 85 are displayed here (http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~tmf20/tieknots.shtml), with detailed instructions on how to do them.

7 Helen June 5, 2009 at 10:17 am

Really enjoyed watching these videos. Very good!!

8 johnmc June 5, 2009 at 10:26 am

This is great. I only ever learned to tie a full Windsor, so that has been my go-to knot for everything. Now I can tone it down a little when the occasion calls for it.

9 Andy June 5, 2009 at 10:54 am

I think it’d be great if you’d add a bow tie- One can get by only knowing one of the above knots, but it’s necessary to know at least one regular knot as well as the bow tie.

10 Jim June 5, 2009 at 10:56 am

Great article and videos! The knots I know are the four-in-hand and half-windsor. I’ll have to play around with some of the others and see how I like them.

11 Brett McKay June 5, 2009 at 11:06 am

Glad to see people are enjoying and finding these videos useful!

Doing a video on how to tie a bow tie is a great suggestion and we’ll get started on it.

12 EP June 5, 2009 at 12:08 pm

As a tie aficionado from MN, I learned of the Shelby knot whilst a lad in high school. Mr. Shelby is not quite an anchorman from the 1970s, he merely started then. He still anchors the news for the CBS affiliate and is the most prominent TV anchor in MN today.

13 EP June 5, 2009 at 12:12 pm

One more remark on the Shelby knot: it is, in fact, a real knot, i.e. when you remove the tie and pull the narrow end back through the knot, then tug to undo it, you are left with a knot in your tie. Not a big deal, but if you’re used to just pulling and it all coming unravelled, you could end up putting some unwanted creases in your tie.

14 Steve Puma June 5, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Very interesting tip from 85 ways to tie a tie:

“Tie handkerchief
If you can’t make up your mind as to whether to wear a tie, you can keep the option open and put the tie in the breast pocket of your jacket, where it doubles as a handkerchief. This looks best with solid-colored ties, with the tie folded in half three times over, to one-eighth of its original length. ”

What a great idea! Now all of my ties can double as pocket-squares! :-)

Steve

15 Bob Iger June 5, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Finally a quality article on how to tie a tie :) I’ve been looking for these kind of articles a long time but nowhere you can find the quality of information that you can find here.

16 Silus Grok June 5, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Wonderful! … but is it just me, or is the shelby segment not reversed like the other three?

17 Danny Boy June 5, 2009 at 3:05 pm

All this time, I thought I had been wearing my tie with a half windsor. Now I realize I had been wearing the full windsor. Who knew?

I also finally realized why I had so much trouble trying to tie my tie the way my dad taught me. He showed me the shelby knot so many years ago, and I was never able to find those instructions online.

18 Brett June 5, 2009 at 5:55 pm

@Michael and John-

Those are interesting questions, but I unfortunately do not know the answer. Hopefully, someone will come along who does.

@Jon-

If you use a tie with lighter material for the shelby, the knot can end up looking too small.

@Ryan-

Thanks for the cool link.

@Bob-

Glad you liked it.

@Silus-

I’ll look into that.

19 Timbo June 5, 2009 at 9:53 pm

About the shelby- you didn’t point out what is really cool about it. Your tie will have a front and a back side, normally you have the fronts facing out and the backs against your chest. WIth the shelby, it ends up back to back. This means that your always showing the “good side” of the tie even if it gets twisted…. Not a huge deal, but neat. My dad actually taught me the shelby, but he called it the “inside out knot”. Good to see the info is out there.

20 Trent June 6, 2009 at 12:02 am

The four-in-hand knot: now there’s a knot that gets the sartorially-advanced into arguments.

On the one hand, some people think that the asymmetrical knot produced by a four-in-hand is unappealing, even ugly. They tend to be the neater dressers, who strive for a smooth, put-together look, and so prefer symmetrical knots. This was the standard American look in the postwar period. While this can result in a very clean, coordinated look, some take this to extremes that are generally considered unstylish, like the matching shirt and tie look once favored by Regis Philbin (amongst others).

On the other hand, you have the dégagé devotees, who think that the symmetry of other knots looks too planned. They prefer the asymmetrical four-in-hand because it follows their fashion dictum of spending 30 minutes planning what to wear so it looks like you just threw on your clothes without giving any thought to them at all. This is a more European, especially Italian, approach. Higher on the dégagé scale are things like leaving a sleeve button unbuttoned on your jacket (you know, the one with working buttonholes), and putting your watch on outside your sleeve.

Ultimately, it’s a matter of personal preference: what look are you striving for? What look do you like?

21 Dan June 6, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Great post. The Windsor knots were always favorite knots (depending on the occasion and the tie material), but it was nice to learn the other knots and I still learned new things about the Windsor knots.

22 Christatos Aristad June 6, 2009 at 1:51 pm

I normally wear an ascot rather than a tie, but when wearing a tie I’ve always worn a Full Windsor. I just like the symmetry of it. The other knots available to me in the late 1960′s when I was learning to tie a tie were just too asymmetrical for my tastes. But that list of 85 possible mathematical ties intrigues the Englishman in me. I am probably going to spend a fair amount of the next few days tyeing them and measuring them for symmetry out of some Remains of The Day Ishiguro need for propriety.

23 Outsdr June 6, 2009 at 11:04 pm

Any suggestions for men with large necks? I have a 22-inch neck, and a tie of normal length tied with a Four-in-hand knot tends to leave me with about 3-5 inches of thin end left that I have to tuck inside my shirt. It looks fine as long as the tie does not move, but when it does, it reveals what I’ve done, and looks sloppy, I think.

24 Jeff June 7, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Classic AoM post. Your awesome man

25 Cam June 8, 2009 at 10:18 am

I’ve always done what I thought was a Windsor… turns out I’ve been doing a Plattsburg…

26 Edgar June 10, 2009 at 1:20 pm

Outsdr ,

Men with large necks, and tall men, often buy long neckties (about 63″ long, as opposed to the modern standard necktie length of about 57″). I find it strange that you have some of the skinny end of the tie leftover, but maybe that’s because you aren’t paying attention to where the blade (wide end) comes to.

Now that no one wears a vest, the “correct” place for the bottom of the blade to rest is just at the top of your trousers. It may extend a little on to the belt, but should never extend below the belt. If you try tying your ties so that the blade falls somewhere between the top and bottom of your belt, your problem should be solved.

Incidentally, between the knot loosening ever so slightly and my pants waist lowering just a touch, I find that I need to tie my tie a little long in the morning in order for it to look good (i.e., not too short) throughout the day. YMMV.

27 Rafael June 10, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Great videos. One of the best posts.
My dad taught me the full windsor when teaching me how to tie a necktie. He didn’t even know what it was called. It was just the way he learned from tradition.

I learned the four-in-hand knot on my own a while back, the only difference was that I was taught to place two fingers when wrapping it back it pulling it into the knot. I think I’ll trying without the finger placement.

28 Neil June 19, 2009 at 4:54 am

Thank you, your videos make this so much easier. I’ve been looking at various websites and other tutorials and just couldn’t make head nor tail for it. Thank you!!!

29 John June 21, 2009 at 3:31 pm

Where are the videos?

30 Khürt Williams June 25, 2009 at 7:47 am

I was taught the full Windor by my father on my first day of catholic school and was politely told never to forget it. I’ve been using it ever since (although I don’t wear ties very often). I wore a tie to school everyday for 8 years.

31 Bob June 25, 2009 at 11:39 am

I actually find the flipped videos very confusing.

32 Fred June 26, 2009 at 2:00 pm

@Michael

Anderson Cooper’s knot *looks* like a full Windsor on a silk tie, but with no dimple. If tying the Windsor isn’t big enough, you can always do an extra wrap. It could be different though.

33 D. Allen June 28, 2009 at 8:35 pm

I love the Shelby knot because I hate tying ties. I hate wearing them. I tend to avoid situations where ties are called for, but when I have to, I do the Shelby. It is just plain quick and certainly easier to do and undo than any other. I also find it’s not as tight on the neck as other knots. If done properly you can even get away with leaving the top button undone (top button chokes me to death.)

34 flesh June 29, 2009 at 2:06 am

Glad to see people are enjoying and finding these videos useful!

35 Heather July 2, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Thank you so much for the videos! I’ve been meaning to practice these knots to show one of my cousins. I do have one anecdote to share:
Many moons ago when it was time for my high school senior prom, there were quite a few young men that were in the marching band with me that had no idea how to tie a tie and niether did thier fathers. Undauted, instead of going and buying a clip-on they asked the gentlemen who taught basic drum skills (an ex-marine I might add) how to tie a tie. I believe I still have pictures from when they held a “Everyday Marine Manliness” band session: for everyone that showed up welearned how to tie a tie, shine our shoes, proper posture and as a suprise he also taught us the basic waltz.

36 Stan Geronimo July 12, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Thank you. I’m starting to love this site. I always have trouble doing my tie, so what I do is ask someone to do it, then keep the knot for the rest of the tie’s existence.

37 James August 9, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Great article!

My personal three favorite necktie knots are the windsor, half-windsor, and the double knot (popular in the 20s apparently, and totally rocks a striped necktie!). I agree with the other poster who suggested that you add bow tie instructions – it’s great when you go to a wedding or formal and you’re the only man there with a proper bow tie, the others having settled for clip ons…

38 vijay krishna August 29, 2009 at 4:03 am

i don’t know how to tie a tie,that’s why i opened this web site. But it is very confusion.

39 Torrey Lee - mens suits tailor September 23, 2009 at 12:40 pm

The videos are of tremendous help, does anyone know of the correct way to create that center dimple directly under the tie knot? I have seen some instructions before, but always continue to have difficulty executing it. I know how to make every other type of knot, but it’s just getting that pronounced center dimple that kills me!

T.Lee

40 Matthew Robertson September 27, 2009 at 8:01 am

I had only been taught the four-in-hand knot when I was a little boy and today I have found something that works well for me, the full windsor knot. I find it at least as easy to tie and probably easier to learn.

41 Jim September 27, 2009 at 9:43 am

Great article about how to tie different knots with silk ties!

42 SuitedGent November 12, 2009 at 3:32 pm

Great Videos! I was a little confused by the comment by Edgar “Now that no one wears a vest”. I wear a 3 piece suit to my office almost everyday. Did i miss a fashion meeting? I still tie my tie the correct length even when wearing a vest.

43 Squawkfox December 12, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Just sent this to my husband, a software developer who NEVER wears a tie. Hopefully now he’ll look gooooood at the paaaaarty tonight. :D

44 Brandon January 1, 2010 at 10:08 pm

I totally learned how to tie a tie tonight! I recorded my progress on my blog! Check it out! I used a multitude of sites and tried to explain it to the best of my ability! Tell me what you all think!

45 Andrew Saladino February 1, 2010 at 12:21 am

Thank you for making this website! I always forget how to tie a tie and next time I’m getting dressed up I’ll definitely check back here for a quick refresher.

46 Alok Singh February 15, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Personally, I always use the full Windsor because it looks so nice. Just a thing I’d like to point out is that the Shelby knot is actually called the Pratt knot as it was invented by Jerry Pratt, who worked for the Chamber of Commerce. Don Shelby just made it popular.

47 Ben May 18, 2010 at 9:02 am

Great vids, will check back for when I actually have to WEAR a tie!

PS, The sound was very up and down, something to think on for the next video instructionals. Try to match the speakers voice with the bed music played prior to and following the clips. Quite jarring otherwise.

48 George E. Amon III June 2, 2010 at 1:53 pm

The full windsor knot is the way to go. Its not the easiest knot to master, but it is the more distinguished; besides, thats the knot James Bond prefers.

49 Ivan June 6, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I think it’s worth mentioning Tim Ferris’ favorite knot, explained here:

It’s a simple variation on the windsor but it guarantees a symmetrical knot and it has quickly become my favorite one.

50 Michael L. Phillips June 6, 2010 at 11:33 pm

EP wrote:
“One more remark on the Shelby knot: it is, in fact, a real knot, i.e. when you remove the tie and pull the narrow end back through the knot, then tug to undo it, you are left with a knot in your tie. Not a big deal, but if you’re used to just pulling and it all coming unravelled (sic), you could end up putting some unwanted creases in your tie.”

In fact, to extend the life of a quality silk tie, EVERY tie knot (not just the Shelby) should be untied from the neck, not loosened and then tugged apart. By tugging the narrow and wide ends so that the knot “slips” (comes undone), you introduce tight creases just before the knot unravels, which over time will deform the tie.

51 Rob June 23, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I received my Regimental Old Albanian today from Mountain and Sackett. Exquisite. Tomorrow will be an exceptional day for a half Windsor.

52 R.A. Stewart July 7, 2010 at 6:11 pm

The Pratt, a.k.a. Shelby, is an excellent knot — easy to learn and remember (I talked my son through it while driving us through an unfamiliar city on the way to a wedding), and symmetrical and neat in appearance. I actually prefer the half-Windsor, which I find similar to the Pratt but with more substance. But … having put on some weight (I have about a half dozen Art of Manliness exercise posts printed out, among other resources!), I find I have to use the Pratt with a lot of my ties to keep them from being too short. Of the four knots I’m familiar with, I think the four-in-hand takes up the least material, followed by the Pratt, the half-Windsor and last of all, of course, the silk-extravagant full Windsor, which looks magnificent with the right jacket and collar but gives you a knot of about the bulk and weight of a small cat.

53 R.A. Stewart July 8, 2010 at 3:47 pm

Following up on Edgar’s comment of June 10, 2009, “the ‘correct’ place for the bottom of the blade to rest is just at the top of your trousers. It may extend a little on to the belt, but should never extend below the belt. If you try tying your ties so that the blade falls somewhere between the top and bottom of your belt, your problem should be solved. … ” This is what I learned as well (from Alan Flusser’s classic Clothes and the Man in the 1980s, I believe), and as SuitedGent says it’s the same length even with a vest. The other point is that the narrow end should be long enough, when the tie is tied, to slip through the keeper on the back of the wide end and stay there during normal activity. This is the point where you can tell if your ties are long enough. Personally, I think the present standard length is a bit skimpy.

54 S.T. Berhorst July 31, 2010 at 8:37 am

I usually use the Half Windsor knot but felt my induction ceremony warranted learning and using the Full Windsor. Great video I did have to watch 3 or 4 times, mostly video went faster than me or wanted to see if I could do it with out the video. I will remember to use these videos next time an event calls for a tie. How to tie a Bow tie would be nice to learn also some day since new promotion comes with the recommendation to purchase the “Formal” uniform for other events, though not sure that a “True” Bow tie is available judging from the amount of “clip-on” bow ties I saw last night. Thank you again for this set of videos.

55 Andrew September 28, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Can someone please explain to me how one goes about putting on a pre-tied bow tie? I can’t make sense of it!

56 Yamato December 24, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I am amazed at the number of my friends who can’t tie a tie. Im a Sea Scout and a tie is part of our uniform. I often have to tie the ties of the other scouts in my patrol because they don’t know how to. Kind of embarassing for them, worse because Im a girl. I knew all of these knots but the Shelby knot. I generally use four in hand knot but for parades I use a half windsor as its symetrical. I think that this is a brilliant website, it has loads of useful stuff.

57 Joshua Avina Sr. December 26, 2012 at 12:56 am

I would just like to say thank you to the founder of this website. It’s refreshing to see that there are people in this world that still believe that being a man is an art and not a state of being. This post assisted me in perfectly executing the half windsor minutes before a Christmas Eve engagement. Keep up the good work. Merry Christmas,
Loyal Reader

58 Saxon January 1, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I can also recommend those of you who have smart phones to download an app to guide you in the art for those times when you are unable to check out YouTube or this website. There’s a ton of them out there, and I have stopped at the first one I tried: Tie Deluxe. Don’t know how the others are.

59 PKP February 2, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Great videos! Thank you very much!

60 Joshua February 16, 2013 at 4:07 am

That’s not a 4 in the hand knot that’s actually the half windsor. But the vid’s are still great. 4 in the hand actually loops over/through the tail 4 times hence the name.

61 Erik Wilson February 17, 2013 at 11:07 pm

This is a Tie Knot that’s easy to do, but it’s fancy, for special occasions.

62 Andrew C. February 19, 2013 at 3:03 pm

LOL, came here to learn to unclog a toilet. And learned to tie a tie. Thanks again!

63 wasim March 9, 2013 at 9:47 am

I myself am a “wee lad of just twelve” (reference to four-in-hand video), learning to tie ties.

64 Remington March 23, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Anyone here have any information on specialty knots akin to the Eldridge and Trinity knots?

Also, that list of 85 is phenominal

65 Menachem Har-Zahav April 3, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Let’s not forget the ascot.

66 Ryan April 12, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Watching TV today, and noticing people wearing neckties. I’ve always worn a necktie to work. I notice Vinnie Politan of HLN wearing a tie that is, in my opinion, tied very poorly. When I think of a well tied knot, I think of a triangular shape, similar to a V. When I see a tie that is very elongated, I think it looks terrible. I’m not sure, but I think this is a four in hand knot. But, either way, there is no V shape whatsoever. It just looks like a piece was wrapped around and stuffed under. Like a child’s attempt at tying a knot. I don’t think people who tie knots like that should be allowed on TV. Just my 2 cents.

67 Erik April 13, 2013 at 10:03 am

Hey I ran across a video of Don Shelby instructing us on how to tie the Shelby, along with a littel Shelby Knot history. It’s on the Mpls-St Paul public TV site: http://video.tpt.org/video/2364991778/

68 Aaron April 17, 2013 at 4:11 pm

This is the kind of info that helps a bummy kid such as myself make a good impression with the college admissions board tomorrow. Thanks fellas!

69 Wasim May 19, 2013 at 8:23 pm

In the Half Windsor part, the writing says “lighter fabric” but the video says “medium to heavy fabric.” Which is better?

70 Oscar Davalos June 13, 2013 at 8:03 am

Question; how to tie a bowtie?

71 Saurabh Hooda June 24, 2013 at 3:27 am

be a free bird. don’t wear a tie :)

72 Linda Laufer August 14, 2013 at 9:06 am

My all time favorite video about ties is one where this little gentleman ties a double windsor http://mp3pole.com/video/Zl17emZ_KXE/double-windsor , so adorable!
Thanks a lot for these step by step guides, that’s a great idea to collect them all together in one place.

73 chat August 26, 2013 at 9:44 am

you teach tie very clearly ! thanx for this article ! i never learn to wear tie bofore :) thank you !

74 Drew September 21, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Thank you! I have finally mastered the half-windsor and the dimple to boot. Ahh I feel my manliness swagger coming back already!

75 Sanne October 6, 2013 at 11:18 am

Very helpfull.. thank you ! :)

76 I M Forman October 18, 2013 at 12:37 am

Bah, I tired of this a long time ago – single Windsor knots and double Windsor knots! Child’s play! Then I taught myself how to tie a bowtie. You really want tough? Ranks a little easier than self dentistry and much less painful. No one ever said that it was going to be easy to be a man’s man!

77 Chris November 20, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Thank you! This has come in very handy :)

78 Jason Brown January 12, 2014 at 12:49 pm

my uncle is always asking me to tie ties for him. so now im gonna direct him to this site, thanks, really really helpful. loving this site

79 Salman January 25, 2014 at 2:56 am

Brilliant videos explaining the procedure to tie a tie. I usually try the windsor knot but I don’t get the perfect one everytime.

80 Kris February 3, 2014 at 10:48 am

If you’re only going to know one knot, it should be the full Windsor. If you know two, the second should be something like a trinity or Eldredge. Just my opinion, of course, but the reason I say this is that a full Windsor can be used for any occasion. It won’t look out of place in casual or formal environments, where as a four-in-hand worn to a formal event makes it painfully obvious that you don’t know how to tie a better knot. The reason for Eldredge of trinity as your second knot is because, hey, if you’re going to depart from the norm you might as well make it something that grabs peoples attention (the Merrovingian is good for this to, but it doesn’t work well with any of my ties).

81 Denis March 6, 2014 at 4:50 pm

As a matter of fact I never really learned so far how to tie a knot. The couple of time that I need it, my girlfriend was helping me out. So, if you are single, you have 2 options:
1/ Learn how to tie a knot
2/ Go get a girlfriend

I am personally leaning towards the later..:)

82 Emily April 7, 2014 at 4:10 am

Very helpfull, thank you !