Magicians usually become magicians because they experienced a sense of wonder seeing a cool trick as a kid, and they want to re-create that awe for audience members on a regular basis.
But what happens when a professional magician stops feeling the magic of magic?
That happened to my guest today.
His name is Nate Staniforth, and he recently wrote a book titled Here is Real Magic. Today on the show, Nate shares how he got into magic and became a professional magician, only to become disillusioned with his career. Nate then talks about how he embarked on a search to re-discover the magic of magic, which took him to the slums of India where he encountered a three-thousand-year-old clan of fire-eating street performers, and re-kindled his sense of wonder. If you’re feeling burnt out from your work or disenchanted with life, this episode will have some insights for you.
- How Nate got into magic as a career
- What is it about magic that so entrances us? Especially as adults?
- What’s the career path of a magician?
- The workman-like approach that Nate takes to magic (and that pervades the industry)
- Is magic an art or a craft?
- How did Nate’s wife feel about his being a magician?
- Houdini’s influence on Nate
- How Nate lost his wonder for his profession and became jaded
- How magic is like a novel
- The 3,000-year-old tradition of magic in India (and how Nate ended up there)
- Experiencing wonder and awe as an adult
- How Nate brought the wonder back to his day-to-day life
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- The Power of Wonder
- The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien
- Cool Uncle Tricks
- What a Magician Can Teach You About Being More Successful
- The Four Archetypes of the Mature Masculine: The Magician
- So You Want My Job: Magician
- 5 Props for Beginners to Make You a Great Magician
- Lessons in Manliness From Harry Houdini
Connect With Nate
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Casper Mattress. A mattress that comes right to your door, with a 100-night trial. Yes, you read that correctly. Visit www.casper.com/manliness and use the code “manliness” to save up to $50 on your next mattress.
The Art of Manliness Store. Check out our newest items, our legendary mugs, and all our ebook offerings. Take an additional 10% off by using “AOMPODCAST” at checkout.
Read the Transcript