You’re lost in the woods, without phone service, and you need a way to signal your location to rescuers on the ground or low-flying aircraft.
Your city is roiled in rioting and chaos, some bad dudes are advancing towards you, and you need to create a distraction to escape and evade them.
It’s a weekend afternoon, your kids are bored, and you’d love to show them a fun and fiery science experiment.
Whether for survival, tactical, or experimental purposes, smoke bombs can be employed in a variety of scenarios.
They’re cheap, small and portable, and incredibly easy to make at home. You can keep them in hiking packs, car glove compartments, garages, etc. You never know when one will come in handy and either provide some weekend entertainment, or perhaps even save your life. Below, I walk you through the simple steps in making homemade smoke bombs on your kitchen stove.
Note: You are of course playing with fire for this experiment, so be prepared and be safe. A bucket of water (or fire extinguisher) is good to have on hand, and when lighting the bomb, use protective eyewear and some sort of breathing filter/mask. The smoke can be toxic, and if the wind blows the wrong way you could be accidentally inhaling it.
- Cast iron skillet. I actually bought this one on the cheap on Amazon for the purposes of this experiment. Don’t go wrecking one of your existing skillets by making a smoke bomb in it.
- Potassium nitrate. This is the chemical component of your smoke bomb. It’s often available at local garden centers, as it’s used in a variety of lawn/landscaping products. On Amazon, I ended up getting a product called Spectracide, which is marketed as a stump remover, but it’s really just potassium nitrate granules. A few reviewers even noted that it worked great for smoke bombs!
- Aluminum foil. For housing your “bomb.”
Step 1: Create an Aluminum Foil Container
2. Combine Ingredients in Skillet
3. Heat the Mixture Until it Forms a Brown Goo
4. Pour the Mixture Into the Foil Container
5. Light the Bomb!
You could also easily add a fuse by just placing a small rope into the gooey mixture before it hardens. And of course your bomb will last longer the more ingredients you use.