In today’s episode I talk to Dr. Meg Jay, a clinical psychologist and author of the Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter and How to Make the Most of Them Now. Dr. Jay’s book has inspired several posts on AoM in the past year, including: Want to Feel Like a Man? Then Act Like One, Good News! Your Life Isn’t Limitless, and our series on the twenty-something brain (Part 1 and Part 2).
I was really excited to have Dr. Jay on our podcast. Besides her book, her TED Talk on the importance of your twenties has made a big splash as well.
In today’s show, we discuss why your twenties are so important, the challenges that many twenty-somethings have today, and the things twenty-somethings can do now to ensure a rewarding career and fulfilling relationships during the rest of their adult life.
- Why thirty isn’t the new twenty
- The consequences of not taking advantage of your twenties
- The biggest problem she sees with twenty-something males
- How the twenty-something brain is different from a thirty-something brain
- The myth of the slacker twenty-something male
- What “identity capital” is and why you need to develop it
- And much more!
If you haven’t yet, I highly recommend picking up a copy of the Defining Decade. It’s a truly excellent and worthwhile read, especially for our twenty-something readers and listeners.
Listen to the podcast!
Special thanks to Keelan O’Hara for editing the podcast!