Art of Manliness Podcast #46: Mastery with Robert Greene

by Brett on May 20, 2013 · 7 comments

in Podcast

Welcome back to another edition of the Art of Manliness Podcast!

In today’s podcast we talk to New York Times bestselling author Robert Greene about his new book Mastery. We discuss what it takes to become a master in any domain or field in life and the common path that great men like da Vinci, Darwin, and Mozart tread to achieve greatness.

Highlights from the show:

• How mastery is accessible to everyone
  • The six steps to mastery
  • Why drudgery is a vital step in the path towards mastery
  • How to find a mentor that will guide you along your path to mastery
  • How mastery is related to manliness
  • And much more!

Mastery

If you haven’t already, I highly recommend picking up a copy of Mastery. It’s especially pertinent for young men in their 20s. It’s one of the best books I read in 2012.

Listen to the podcast!

1 Pete May 20, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I look forward to listening to this. Pedagogy and skill acquisition has been a passion of mine for some time, and after recently reading The Talent Code and So Good They Can’t Ignore you, it will be interesting to see what this adds to the body of knowledge.

2 Ian Connel May 21, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Nice interview! Really inspiring stuff. Makes me want the book.

You should interview Josh Waitzkin if he’s willing. He has some wonderful things to say about the way people learn and big pitfalls we can create for ourselves and our children.

3 Nick May 21, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Looks like a good first step or pre first step is getting the book because I just picked myself up a copy! If it wasn’t for the interview the intention of picking it up would have lingered until who knows when.
There is something appealing about process that I can’t quite put my finger on. Maybe I’ll be able to after the book is read. Thanks for the interesting interview!

4 ObligeNobility May 21, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Thanks for the great interview. I’ve read a few of Greene’s books, and will need to add this one to my reading list.

I’m guilty of being a dilettante. An important takeaway I’ve gotten out of this and other recent articles at AOM: some of us must overcome our humility, be more assertive, and just tell others what it is we need them to do. This applies to relationships of all sorts, including those with mentors.

5 Jerry May 21, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Haven’t read this book but someone else was telling me about another book, Talent Is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from EverybodyElse, that seems to touch on some similar things. I really liked the interview and will most likely get the book as well!

6 Jason May 26, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I just listened to this and like the podcast very much. Brett you brought up the topic of “passion.” I think you, and your listeners (of which I’m one) would like the book So Good They Can’t Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion, by Cal Newport. It goes into why the whole “live your passion” is bunk for the vast majority of people and not good advice to a successful or happy life. I read it a short while back and it crystalized a number of things I’ve had to learn through hard earned “life experiences.”

7 Jason May 26, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Oh yeah, here is a link to the author’s website.