AoM Month of Sandwiches Day #6: Grilled Peanut Butter/Nutella/Bacon/Banana Sandwich

by Brett on April 8, 2013 · 22 comments

in Cooking, Food & Drink, Travel & Leisure

finished

Welcome to Day #6 of the AoM sandwich project. Last month we asked readers for their best sandwich recommendations. Out of 483 submissions, we picked 20 to highlight here on the site each weekday during the month of April. At the end, we’ll publish all the entries into an epic man-sandwich cookbook. Enjoy.

Today’s Sandwich: The Grilled Peanut Butter/Nutella/Bacon/Banana Sandwich

We got a few submissions that featured Nutella: the delicious, “wholesome” chocolate/hazelnut spread that’s apparently the crack cocaine of college cafeterias. One that I tried consisted of Nutella, peanut butter, and marshmallow fluff. It was decent, but insanely sweet; something Buddy the Elf would appreciate, but left me feeling a little light-headed.

So I tried another combination — this one submitted by Ezekiel — that included Nutella, peanut butter, banana, and bacon. I figured the bacon would balance out the sweetness of the other ingredients  on this one. Let’s see how it went.

Ingredients

ingredients

• White bread
  • Peanut butter
  • Nutella
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 2 slices of bacon
  • Olive oil or butter

Step 1: Fry Bacon

frybacon

What a glorious sight.

Step 2: Slice Banana

banana

Cut banana in half lengthwise and widthwise (you should end up with four quarters, each with a flat side

Step 3: Oil Bread

butterbread

Spread olive oil or butter on one side of each piece of bread.

Step 4: Spread the Peanut Butter and Nutella

PBnutella

Spread copious amounts of peanut butter and Nutella on a slice of bread. Make sure to spread them on the opposite side that you spread olive oil or butter on.

Step 5: Stack Bananas and Bacon

stacked

Stack your bananas and top with bacon.

Step 6: Grill Sandwich

grill.JPG

Grill sandwich in a frying pan just like you would a grilled cheese sandwich.

Finished Product

finished

Have mercy!

Taster’s Notes

tasting

As predicted, the savory bacon was a nice compliment to the sweetness of the Nutella, peanut butter, and banana. This isn’t something that I would eat for a regular meal, though. It’s definitely one of those “It’s 1am and I’m hungry for something sweet and savory” snacks. One downside is that it’s super messy. The warmed up peanut butter and Nutella lost their firmness so the bacon and banana were slipping and sliding out of the bread. Definitely eat over a plate.

I’m thinking just peanut butter, banana, and bacon — sans Nutella — would be pretty awesome too. But I haven’t tried it…yet.

1 Andrew April 8, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I think I just felt my heart try to escape my chest.

2 Andre Felipe April 8, 2013 at 4:52 pm
3 Joachim April 8, 2013 at 5:17 pm

The peanut/banana/bacon sandwich is known as the Elvis. It was his favorite.

4 Dennis April 8, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Is there any sandwich that couldn’t be improved by adding bacon?

5 Tony K April 8, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Just plain peanut butter and bacon on toast was my favorite growing up.

6 Evan van den Berg April 8, 2013 at 7:18 pm

@Dennis

1. A vegeterian sandwitch.
2. Possibly an icecream sandwitch?

Haha but I do agree, bacon makes most things, including sandwiches, better.

7 Ezekiel April 8, 2013 at 11:44 pm

I was completely unaware that Elvis was in love with such a similar sandwich. I hope you guys enjoy it!

8 KP April 9, 2013 at 5:48 am

I used to eat The Elvis as a kid all the time. Try mashing the banana into the peanut butter to make it one combined spread. The peanut butter will retain its firmness when hot. For this recipe you could possibly mash half into the PB and half into the Nutella.

9 Jay April 9, 2013 at 6:41 am

I was born on the day Elvis made is ’68 comeback special so I eat one of these every January 8th and August 16th in memory of Elvis. It’s a great sandwich! Leave out the Nutella though. I agree with is there anything bacon doesn’t make better. Most people think you are crazy for eating this but they have no idea what they are missing!

10 MadMonkey April 9, 2013 at 8:30 am

Try peanut butter, banana, honey and bread & butter pickle slices, grilled.

It sounds awful, but it’s epic.

And bacon might put it right over the top…. hmmm….

11 Gwen April 9, 2013 at 10:13 am

If you can eat your sandwich neatly, there isn’t enough food in it.

12 Mike April 9, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Here’s my sandwich contribution.

It’s an open face so double it if you need two pieces of bread…

1 slice of a nice whole grain bread toasted
2 slices of sharp deli provolone
1 healthy handful of baby arugula
a drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil
a pinch of kosher salt

Turn on your oven broiler, toast the bread. Put the provolone (the funkier you can get the better) on toast and broil till melty and a little browned. Remove from oven, pile on arugula and drizzle on olive oil and sprinkle on salt to taste. Enjoy!

13 Ezekiel April 9, 2013 at 4:20 pm

KP, that is such a fantastic idea. An almost certain improvement!

14 M April 10, 2013 at 10:43 am

Bacon & bananas is all you need. The secret is caramelising the bananas in the bacon fat and is the best way to reach heavenly status. Actually this is our Sunday breakfast combo but I think that it would ridiculously good as a toasted sandwich (and I am sure that my father would be encouraging me to ‘grill’ the sandwich in the remaining bacon grease)

15 Patrick April 10, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I lived in England for six years and they had something very similar to this and a lot cheaper. The thing is, that this was about 11 years ago, we’re a bit behind the learning curve here.

16 bierluvre April 14, 2013 at 9:13 am

PB and Jelly w/bacon is definitely a fav. I can’t eat a PB sandwhich without PF oatmeal bread anymore.

17 Man Who Thinks he Is In Heaven April 17, 2013 at 3:12 pm

YUM

18 Joey funk April 19, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Local burger joint had this same sandwich, but with a burger patty, and it’s absolutely fantastic. I would get it everything I went but now they don’t keep bananas on hand because it was a special

19 Other Mike April 20, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Slight modifications:

There’s plenty of flavor here; use whole grain wheat bread. It holds up better, and the heavier flavor is overpowered in this recipe. Plus, it’s one important step away from type 2 diabetes.

You can also fry the banana slices in the bacon fat before moving them to the sandwich; this helps get heat throughout. They can be dusted with cinnamon first, which goes particularly well if you replace the Nutella and PB with chocolate PB.

20 Alli April 25, 2013 at 11:54 am

If you like peanut butter and bacon together, you should definitely try a peanut butter burger. Yes, it sounds nasty, but here at Purdue it is famous and tastes AMAZING!

21 Carl May 4, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Peanut butter BLT is a favorite I was introduced to in Ohio years ago. Peanut butter is amazingly versatile!

22 Dogucan February 23, 2014 at 2:21 pm

I know that this might be the silliest question ever, but is there anything that I can use instead of bacon? I mean, I live in the Middle East, and:
a) Bacon is so expensive here.
b) I could get in danger if I bought bacon (that’s pretty normal in the Middle East) (also, I’m extremely paranoid) (non-straight non-muslims have to be paranoid in the Middle East :D).
So, is there anything I can do?