Upgrade the Humble Bologna Sandwich + AoM Month of Sandwiches Group Project

by Brett on March 8, 2013 · 483 comments

in Cooking, Food & Drink, Travel & Leisure

sandwich

Men and sandwiches have always gone together. Sandwiches originally started out as a food enjoyed by men who wanted something convenient to fuel their nights of drinking and gaming. The food famously got its name from John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, who, in order to keep his hands from getting greasy while munching on a slab of meat during a game of cribbage, had his valet stick the meat between two slices of bread. Fast, inexpensive, portable, and filling, the sandwich grew in popularity as a convenient meal for any old time.

I know I love me a good sandwich. Reubens, Cubans, Tortas, Monte Cristos. If there’s meat, cheese, and other goodness stuffed between two slices of bread, I like it. But one of my favorites growing up, and still today, is the humble bologna sandwich.

It was standard fare whenever I brown-bagged it to school. In the summertime, it was an easy sandwich to make for my seven-year-old self. Just pull out the meat from the cold-cuts drawer in the fridge, slap some mustard on some Iron Kids Bread, and you’re in business. All washed down with a big glass of  cold milk.

As an adult, I’ve pretty much eliminated bologna sandwiches from my diet because, let’s be honest, they’re not the healthiest thing to eat by any stretch. But every few months, I get a hankering for one (especially during the summer). So I’ll go to the grocery store, buy my bologna sandwich supplies, and have a bologna sandwich splurge. It’s a wonderful thing.

Two Simple Upgrades for Your Bologna Sandwich to Make it Even Awesomer

There isn’t too much you can do to make a bologna sandwich any better. Its beauty is in its simplicity: bologna, white bread, American cheese, mustard, and maybe some lettuce and tomato. But below I humbly suggest two simple upgrades that can make your bologna sandwich even better.

frybologna

Fry up your bologna for extra tasty goodness.

1. Fry up your bologna. Growing up, my family just ate our bologna cold, straight from the fridge. It never crossed my mind that you could warm it up. Why would you? Bologna is a cold-cut after all. But a few years ago, I came across an article where a person recommended frying up your bologna before putting it in the sandwich. Intrigued, I gave it a try. When I bit into my sandwich I felt like Paul on the Road to Damascus or Neo taking the Red Pill. I experienced a paradigm shift. Fried bologna sandwiches are awesome. If you’ve never done it before, give it a try. You won’t regret it.

As it cooks, the bologna gives off a nice savory smell. Sort of like Spam. The center of the bologna puffs up, causing it to look like those half-ball jumping toys. I like to put my cheese on the sandwich and then the hot bologna on the cheese. The heat from the meat gives the cheese just the right amount of melt.

chips

Potato chips give your sandwich a nice, salty crunch.

2. Put potato chips on the sandwich. This was something my mom taught me. The potato chips give the otherwise soft texture of a bologna sandwich a nice, salty crunch. Personally, I think Ruffles are the best accompaniment to a bologna sandwich. The ridges make the difference.

I actually enjoy putting chips (and Cheetos — Cheetos make every sandwich better) on most of my cold-cut sandwiches. I’ve met a few people who are chips-on-sandwich people, too. It’s fun introducing those who have no idea about the concept and seeing them become zealous converts.

The Art of Manliness Month of Sandwiches Group Project

dagwood

As I said earlier, I love a good sandwich and I know I’m not alone in my appreciation for this gratifying gastronomical genre. I’m always on the lookout for new sandwich combos and I thought,  what better place to get some ideas than from the amazing AoM community? That’s when I had the idea for the Art of Manliness Month of Sandwiches Group Project.

Here’s how I see it working:

1. If you have a sandwich recipe that’s a personal favorite and you think the whole world needs to know about it, please leave it in the comments below. I’m looking for all kinds of sandwiches. Simple, complex, classics with a twist, international sandwiches, breakfast sandwiches, whatever. If there’s stuff in between bread and it tastes good, I want to see it.

2. We’ll comb through and try those that look to be the best sandwich recipe submissions.

3. Every weekday in the month of April (hereby declared the AoM Month of Sandwiches), I’ll publish one new amazing sandwich recipe along with pics of me putting it together and eating the crap out of it. By the end of the month, you’ll have 22 new sandwich recipes in your sandwich-making arsenal.

To entice folks to submit a sandwich, I’ll be giving away a signed copy of Manvotionals to each person whose sandwich we feature during the Month of Sandwiches. Sound good?

Looking forward to reading your submissions! Long live the sandwich!

401 Ballgame March 12, 2013 at 12:10 pm

The “Jersey” Style Sloppy-Joe:
A triple-decker with Roast Beast, Swiss, Creamy Cole Slaw, and a healthy dose of Thousand-Island dressing on Rye Bread sliced at an angle and cut into thirds. Heaven.

Runner up:
Taylor Ham fried on a hard roll with 2 fried eggs and melted american cheese and plenty of Ketchup.

402 Andrew March 12, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Croque Monsieur
This is my take on the classic French version of a grilled ham & cheese that is great hot or cold.

Ingredients;
½ cup Milk
1 Egg
1 tbsp. Parmesan cheese (finely grated)
2 slices Bread
4 slices Ham
2 slices Emmental or Gruyere cheese
Dijon Mustard (to taste)

Instead of making a roux (which is more fattening, requires close attention and constant whisking), I whisk the egg and milk together with finely grated parmesan cheese, and pour into a plate. Soak both sides of one slice of bread in the mixture, and toast over medium-low heat in a saucepan, flipping as needed, until both sides of the bread are crisp and golden brown.
Toast the second slice of bread and place one slice of cheese followed by two slices of ham on top. Apply Dijon mustard (to taste) on the ham, then place the other two slices of ham followed by the last slice of cheese on top. Place the first slice of bread on top & enjoy.

403 Alan March 12, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Love a good fried egg sandwich cooked on a cast iron skillet. I usually fry two eggs, put sliced sharp cheddar over one egg when it’s almost done. Then, I’ll put a thin slice of tomato on top with fresh ground pepper, salt, and a little bit of cayenne. All over toasted Ezekiel bread. Yum.

404 Pat March 12, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Left over spaghetti
hot peppers
provolone cheese
butter
garlic
italian seasoning

Butter the bread and cover with minced garlic and italian seasoning. Put it under the broiler until toasted. In a nonstick skillet, fry up the left-over spaghetti. Once it is warmed through and some of the sauce is starting to carmelize, mix in the hot peppers and add the cheese. Once the cheese is melted, transfer it to the garlic toast!

406 Mike March 12, 2013 at 1:22 pm

The King Kamehameha – Crunchy peanut butter with pineapple slices on toasted sourdough. (Recipe inspired by my grandma Margie; name inspired by the club that Rick runs on Magnum, PI).

The Generalissimo – Gouda and Munster cheese with tomato slices and spicy mustard, grilled on sourdough or potato bread. The General of Grilled Cheese!

The Strawberry Elvis – A classic: grilled peanut butter & banana on sourdough, with strawberry jelly instead of grape.

The Henry Jones Jr. – Sliced zucchini & tomato, roasted red pepper hummus, Honey-Dijon mustard, and Baby Swiss & Cheddar, grilled on nan.

407 Joe March 12, 2013 at 1:30 pm

This was sandwich my mother used to send with me to school when I was a kid. We used to call them “peanut butter and beetle” sandwiches.

bread of your choice

3 slices of garden fresh tomato
1 Garden fresh leaf of lettuce mayonnaise to taste

And for the adventurous add
1 slice of American Cheese

and you have Sandwich nirvana

409 Aaron March 12, 2013 at 3:28 pm

The Belt Sandwich (do-over)

This is a addon to the venerable BLT:

3 slices of thick hickory smoked bacon
2 slices of fresh baked bread
3 slices of garden fresh tomato
1 Garden fresh leaf of lettuce
1 Fried Egg or order ( I like mane a bit easy)
mayonnaise to taste

And for the adventurous add
1 slice of American Cheese

and you have Sandwich nirvana

410 Travis March 12, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Bread of your choice, toasted
1 Egg over-medium
2 strips of bacon
Sriracha sauce
Black pepper

This plus a cup of coffee is my breakfast most days.

411 Christopher March 12, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Italian Style Sandwich

Ingredients:
Bread of Choice (French Baguette works well)
Pepperoni
Genoa Salami
Provolone Cheese
Basil Pesto
Balsamic Vinagrette (I prefer Annie’s)
Toaster Oven/Conventional Oven
Tomato (sliced)
Red Onion (sliced thin)
Red Leaf Lettuce
Peperoncinis (slices)

Directions:
-Cut bread in half, cover both sides with a single layer of provolone.
-Apply Salami to one side, Pepperoni on the other
-Put sandwich halves in toaster oven, meat side up, and bake until meats start to release grease and cheeses are slightly melting
-Spread Pesto on pepperoni side
-Put lettuce, sliced tomato, red onion, peperoncini’s, and vinagrette on salami side – in that order
-Put pepperoni side on top of salami side
-Enjoy!

It’s important to put the lettuce down first, as it acts as a catchall for the juices from the vegetables and vinagrette that would otherwise make the bread soggy.

412 John March 12, 2013 at 4:46 pm

You can’t beat an Italiano – olive oil, parma ham, mozzarella, fresh basil all in a ciabatta before putting it in the grill for a few minutes.

413 LeFrench March 12, 2013 at 6:21 pm

An HCC sandwich – Ham, Cheese and either Coleslaw or Grated Carot.

The ham gives you the meat you crave, the cheese adds flavour, and the coleslaw/grated carrot give you that moisture that makes it just perfect. Simple & Delicious.

414 Christopher J March 12, 2013 at 6:31 pm

The Ice Cream Sandwich

Not exactly a portable sandwhich, thus underminding the utility of the sandwich format, but it tastes good.

2 Slice of White Bread
–1 Side with Peanut Butter
–1 Side with Jelly of choice

Place one scoop of preferred ice cream.

Messy and delicious.

415 Chrissy March 12, 2013 at 7:31 pm

This sandwich tastes like summer to me:
California Sandwich

(Makes 2 large sandwiches)

Avocado Salad:
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
1 large tomato, cored and chopped
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced (optional)
Squeeze of lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

vegetable cream cheese spread
4 slices bread (preferably whole grain), toasted
1/4 cup alfalfa sprouts
2 to 4 slices pepper jack cheese

To Make the Avocado Salad: In a medium bowl, gently toss together the avocado, tomato, cucumber, lime juice and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.

To Assemble: These will be open faced sandwiches. Spread the vegetable cream cheese on all four toasted bread slices. Add the slices of pepper jack cheese on top. Pile on the avocado salad. Top the sandwiches with the sprouts. You will probably want to eat it with a fork!

416 Skip March 12, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Just like with the fried bologna sandwich, you must add a slice of RAW onion to make this perfect; Fry two (or more) slices of SPAM to a nice, golden brown. Mayo or mustard (or both) a slice of your favorite bread. My fave is White/Wheat. A slice or two of American or Cheddar cheese (as per my mood). The hot, brown slices of SPAM, fresh from the pan, then the huge slice of fresh onion. If you don’t like strong onion or want to try something else hard to describe, use a big slice of Vidalia onion ( from the city of the same name). Whoooooooaaa!!

417 Skip March 12, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Yo, Brett: From the comments, I can already see what your next book should be:”Manly Sandwiches”. All these fine recipes should not be lost. Preserve them for posterity. I know thousands of us would love to have them. Skip
p.s. I want the first copy.
S.

418 Andrew March 12, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I like fried ham and egg sandwiches on wheat. Just fry up an egg, some ham cold cuts, and some onions. Slap some cheese on it and some mayo and mustard and you’re in business!

This is one my mom and sister like, although I haven’t personally tried it they highly recommend it. Stuffing sandwich. You just take bread (any kind) and butter each slice. Then you heat up some stove top and slap it in between.

419 Sam March 12, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Peanut butter and onion.

But seriously.
The Everything sandwich.
Find two of the hardiest pieces of bread that you can. Your preference of type, but just get something that could hold it’s shape after being brined in turkey gravy for two days, then wrung out with a couple of rolling pins by an angry chef.

Toast lightly, butter lightly, place first slice on cutting board, add cheddar and swiss cheese, or generally whatever is in your fridge at the given time. Look through fridge for other signs of meat, leftover ham, turkey, and fried chicken being favorites, but anything works. Heat up in cast iron skillet(with bacon grease to season pan), place on top of cheese..
Add several pieces of bacon/pork roll/spam. Preferably all three.
Add anything else in the fridge that looks decent, except cake, cake does not go on sandwich.
Fry a couple of eggs, place on top and make sure that the yolks drizzle all over the lower elements. Add potato chips/ french fries. (See note on bacon)
Add anything that comes to mind with this general form. “He forgot to add _____”
Add top piece of bread. Season to taste, and serve with a side of pickles.*
Eat.

Disclaimer: If you die of heart failure, it is not my fault that the rest of you are not teenagers anymore.

*You can add the pickles to the sandwich if you want to also.

420 Joshua K. March 12, 2013 at 10:40 pm

The Godchicken

Shredded grilled chicken
olive oil
Halfed italian or french loaf
Olives
tomatoe alfredo sauce 1/3 cup
port mushroom and garlic
cook mix for 10 min or so
through meaty mix on bread drizzle olive oil
throw on cheese of choice bake till crisp.

hits the spot everytime and you can make it vegie with eggplant or do salmon.

Josh

il

421 Jeremiah March 12, 2013 at 11:40 pm

Tuna Melt!

-Garlic Bread (store bought, or make your own; french bread with a healthy slathering of butter whipped with fresh pressed garlic and chives)
-2 cans of tuna,drained and rinsed
-chives or green onion, 4 or 5 lengths will do, chopped
-1/2 cup mayo
-2 to 6 pickles, depending on size, finely diced
-1 1/2 tbsp of Sambal Oelek (or more to taste)
-1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese (or mozzarella or fontina… I prefer cheddar for the stronger flavor, sometimes I’ll mix)
-1/4 cup of grated Parmesan
-1 tsp oregano flakes
-salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400, cut french bread lengthwise in half and spread garlic butter. In a medium sized bowl, combine tuna, mayo, pickles, chives, and sambal. Spread tuna mix evenly along halves of garlic bread and then cover liberally with shredded cheese. Sprinkle grated parmesan and oregano flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Place on a parchment on a cookie sheet and toast in oven for 7-10 minutes (or until desired doneness). Pay close attention because the this sandwich goes from delicious to disaster faster than you’d expect! Remove from the oven, and slice into whatever size appropriate (2-3″ slices for sharing, or don’t slice it at all if you think that you can handle it!)

422 Rodrigo M. March 13, 2013 at 5:48 am

Brett, here in Brazil we call the bologna by the name of “mortadela” (the same in Italy, I suppose, dropping one L).

Usually I prepare the “mortadela” sandwich with the “pão francês”, the everyday bread here in Brazil, a shorter version of the french baguette. To spice things up: some medium strength mustard.

To be closer to its italian origins we can also put diced tomatoes over it and fresh basil. Maybe the mustard won’t be needed. You chose, brother.

Best regards,
Rodrigo

423 Rodrigo M. March 13, 2013 at 5:54 am

Try this one, folks:

-goose liver paté (thick slice)
-mango chutney
-lettuce
-2 thin slices of mozzarella
-inside a crisp baguette bread

To be served cold.

424 Michael March 13, 2013 at 9:07 am

The Japan-Wich, invented when I was a starving student at Kansai University, Osaka, Japan.

Cook up some instant yakisoba noodles, add the seasoning and drain. Place a healthy amount of the noodles on a slice of whole wheat bread with a slab of cold fried chicken, cover with the second slice of bread, mayo to taste.

425 Chad Smith March 13, 2013 at 9:49 am

After scrolling all the recipes, I was surprised to not find my Mum’s old favorite. This was a staple in our household for years.

PB & DP.

Smooth peanut butter and dill pickle. Must be dill, not bread and butter, not garlic, DILL.

Spread peanut butter to desired thickness on soft white bread. Slice dill pickles 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch (0.5 Cm for my fellow Canadians). Place in single layer on top of peanut butter and press down into it.(This is key, otherwise the top slice of bread will not stick). Top with another slice of bread and enjoy.

This sandwhich is the epitomy of balanced flavours, salty, sweet, sour. It has everything you want in a sandwhich.

426 Zach M March 13, 2013 at 9:55 am

I call it: “God Save the President”

This is a twist on a European breakfast item, hence the name. It has a hearty initial taste that is swept away by the honey, and leaves a sweet aftertaste. I like this sandwich because it taste much better than a protein bar, but is healthier and provides much more sustenance that pancakes or waffles. The eggs and meat are a good source of protein, while the cheese takes care of your dairy. The honey is also very beneficial to your system and has many medicinal purposes.

Ingredients
1 slice of bread
1 tbsp honey
2 eggs
3 small slices of meat (I use turkey)
Small handful of shredded cheese (maybe a little less than half a cup – loose)
Salt and pepper (however much you feel necessary, I normally just put pepper on at the end)
Butter (to put in the pan so the eggs don’t stick)

• First thing I do is start the eggs (I make them over easy, but break the yolk near the end so the flavor gets spread throughout and isn’t super messy when eating)
• I then toast the bread.
• Once the toast is done I spread the honey over it and then the cheese. I then place it back in the toaster over to melt the cheese for a short while.
• After the eggs are done and the toast is on its second round, I put the meat in a pan and fry it till it is warm.
• Finally, once the toast is done, I place the eggs and then meat on the bread, honey, and cheese and chow down.

427 dannyb278 March 13, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Hot Rockin’ Chicken Thigh Sandwich.

First of all, if the only part of the chicken you eat is the breast, your missing out. Breast meat is boring to cook with, and often dry. I’m a thigh man myself. I usally make these sandwiches in bulk to last me all week.

Ingrediants
1 package boneless chicken thighs
1/2 onion sliced
1/2 pepper sliced
Siracha Sauce
salt and pepper
sliced cheese
1/4 stick butter
Kaiser roll, or other bun of your choice

Instructions;
1. “pull” the chicken thighs open to expose most of the surface area to the hot pan
2. season thighs on both sides with 50/50 salt and pepper and as much siracha sauce that you know you can handle. You can be pretty liberal with it.
3. Drop thighs in pan along with sliced onions and peppers. Add salt/pepper to veggies if you want
4. cover pan and cook boths sides of the chicken for about 7 minutes on each side or until done, mixing the veggies occasionally.
5. place as many chicken thighs and veggies as your bun can handle and serve with sliced cheese. Lightly toasting the bun can add another dimension to the sandwich. Enjoy with chips and a cold rootbeer or beer of your choice. Enjoy!

428 Ashton Lambie March 13, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I would like to add to the request for a book. I would totally buy it if these were all in a recipe book. Sandwiches are easy to get stuck in a rut with, and a big book of them are just the trick!

429 Zeb March 13, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Here’s one good for summer, lunch or dinner…The Buffalo Shrimp Po-boy…

First fry up your shrimp–use your favorite seasoned flour, and for your eggwash use 2-3 eggs, maybe a half cup hotsauce. Batter the shrimp, flour-eggwash-flour, deep fry in canola oil (preferred), for only a couple minutes–they cook quick–then drain on a paper towel or plate.

You can make a killer wing sauce from just butter, your favorite hotsauce, hot pepper flakes, and garlic powder or fresh garlic. Just melt the butter (maybe a stick or so) in a plastic bowl in the microwave lightly (it needn’t be super hot), add maybe 1/2 cup hot sauce (more if you like) season with the flakes and garlic, maybe even some black pepper.

Toss your cooked shrimp lightly in the sauce.

Cut fresh french bread in half lengthwise, slather with good bleü cheese dressing (I’m a fan of Marie’s), top with a mound of crisp shredded iceberg lettuce (and thin sliced red onion and tomato, if you like), and as many shrimp as you can squeeze in there.

Enjoy with a cold Pilsner! And if anyone else is around, you better make extra, because you will have to share!

430 Daniel March 13, 2013 at 2:39 pm

This sandwich could be called the “Cumare” but is really just an adaptation of a standard Italian.

Bread – Tuscan Roasted Garlic Bread. This can be found at Publix if you have it nearby or any bread with roasted garlic baked into it. Awesome.

Meat – Equal parts of your favorite ham, sopressata (variant of salami), capicola, and perhaps some proscuitto or serrano (if you like)

Cheese – I prefer some Buffala mozzarella (made from the milk of water buffalos) but it can be a bit pricey. Also, in between the meat, I typically shave some parmesan for the added salty/nutty taste.

Toppings – To your preference. I honestly leave mine dry and the let the meat/cheese do the talking.

After the sandwich is all made up, take a skillet, heat up a tablespoon or so of olive oil, and “toast” your sandwich to your desired level. You may need to replace oil as you go, especially with mulitple sandwiches.

Buon appetito.

431 Max Power March 13, 2013 at 4:33 pm

A second vote for the spaghetti sandwich listed above ^. I make mine with american cheese on a hamburger bun. It’s so freakin’ good. Sounds like too much carbs, but that’s a feature not a bug.

432 Dusk Walker March 13, 2013 at 6:33 pm

fried sandwiches.
get a pan nice and warm,
throw some butter (more=crispier) on it, spread it around.
place a piece of bread on the pan, then build your sandwich,
put the second piece of bread on top (by now your bottem piece should be crispy)
flip the whole thing over (possibly adding a bit more butter) and let that fry to your liking.
serve with a nice stack of chips and your preffered beverage and enjoy!

433 Alexzander T. March 13, 2013 at 6:48 pm

The Crazy Sandwich (which sounds crazy but is quick to make) has been made by my mom and I since I was really little.
However, the recipe must be done exactly in order or else it just tastes… weird?

First slice of bread
Mustard
Bologna
4 Saltine crackers
5 Dill Pickle slices (one on each cracker and one in the middle!)
Ketchup
Top piece of bread

Simple yet extremely satisfying! Haven’t had one in years, but I think I’ll have to make one now!

434 denny martin March 13, 2013 at 6:49 pm

PIZZA SANDWICH-two slices of toasted wheat bread, both spread with mayo and the bottom slice should also be spread with ketchup. sprinkle some oregano flakes and garlic powder on the ketchup side.and add a slice of cotto salami to it. put a slice of your favorite individual wrapped slice of cheese on the top slice of bread. fill the interior with minced onion and microwave for half a minute or until the cheese is all gooey.Let it cool a little before eating or eat it hot out of the microwave. tastes just like a pizza!

435 Craig B March 13, 2013 at 7:57 pm

The Easiest Breakfast Sandwich

Ingredients:
1 Extra Large Egg
1 Deli slice cheese of choice (I prefer pepperjack)
1-2 Slices ham or canadian bacon
1 Bagel or English Muffin

Directions:
Toast your bagel or english muffin. While it is toasting, whisk egg into a 6oz. pyrex custard cup and microwave for about a minute (varies on microwaves). The egg will puff up in the microwave but don’t worry! It won’t explode as long as you watch it. Scoop the egg onto the bagel or english muffin and place cheese and ham on top (put cheese directly on egg so it gets nice and melty).

Congrats! You’ve made a nice breakfast sandwich in under five minutes.

436 JP March 13, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Twist on grilled cheese.

Texas toast.
Pepper Jack Cheese
Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
Pepperoni slices
Roma Tomatoes Sliced Thin
Butter

Prepare as a grilled cheese, add the tomatoes and the pepperoni between the slices of cheese.

437 Hja March 14, 2013 at 2:20 am

Haven’t read the comments but my mother made a killer sandwich is probably the greatest one ever.

bread – toasted (preferably a whole grain adds texture
shaved smoked ham
shaved smoked turkey
cheddar cheese (preferably also smoked and sharp)
Thick cut hickory smoked bacon.
Make sure all are warm combine them (microwave, toaster oven, skillet) which ever tickles your fancy

438 Hja March 14, 2013 at 2:23 am

it is strictly bread meat and cheese the way God intended. Like I said preferably all smoked ingredients. Trust me. Eat it all warm/ toasted.

439 Chris March 14, 2013 at 4:37 am

peanut butter and pickle sandwich.
(don’t knock it until you’ve tried it)

2 slices of wheat or white bread
sliced pieces of kosher dill pickles (mini works great)
creamy peanut butter

the sandwich should be each slice of bread with a layer of PB and pickle slices in the middle.
the sweet and salty flavor contrast parallel the smooth and crunch texture. It doesn’t sound like it would be good, but trust me it is.

440 Bryant Ward March 14, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Something I’ve enjoyed is the Pico Sandwich:

1. Lightly toast some whole/multi grain bread of your choice. Any type of bread will do.
2. Pile on: Sliced tomato, sliced white onion, and sliced pickled jalapenos
3. Lightly salt and pepper.
4. Add fresh lime juice to taste

You can also add sliced avocado for extra awesome. At this point, though, the structural integrity of the Pico Sandwich starts to break down in a delicious manner.

441 Ben March 14, 2013 at 3:34 pm

The Bleu Cheese/Meatball.

Driven by a fit of late night hunger, I recently found myself in one of those situations which requires one to put his culinary improvisational skills to the test.

I scoured the fridge and the pantry– eventually bringing several seemingly disparate ingredients into one tasty sandwich. It’s simple, a little weird, and surprisingly delicious. Here’s how you do it.

Stick a plain English muffin in the toaster. (I prefer mine pretty crisp. I pop them out right before they start to turn black.) While the muffin toasts, grab four or five Teriyaki meatballs. (I had these left over. A few days earlier I had dumped a big ol’ bag of frozen meatballs into the slow cooker with a hearty slopping of Teriyaki sauce.) If they aren’t hot, just reheat them in the microwave.

As soon as your muffin is finished toasting, grab your favorite bleu cheese dressing and give each side of the muffin a thorough shmear. Then place your meatballs on the bottom side of your muffin. (Slicing your meatballs in half might make the whole thing a bit easier to eat. I hate when I bite into a meatball sandwich only to have a whole meatball squirt out onto my plate.)

Finally, before assembling, place a slice or two of Swiss cheese atop your steaming meatballs. Put it all together, let the cheese melt for a few seconds, and chow down!

It’s awesome. And pretty stinkin’ manly, if I may say so.

442 Scott March 14, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I like a tuna / chips sandwhich. we all have our own tuna mix,, i like a bit of relish/ mayo/ onion all masshed up into a spread. then the ruffles added just before eating! but, if you want a twist give bbq chips a try! or, any of the other flavors! but for me bbq on tuna is perfect. especially if it is on a mountain trail or on a fishing dock etc!

443 Linwood March 14, 2013 at 7:05 pm

“Left over Spaghetti Sandwich”
For your manly leftover spaghetti, toast some wheat bread with spray on butter and Parmesan cheese, then take some reheated spaghetti (keep it easy on the sauce) and smear about a 1/4 inch layer on the sandwich. Sprinkle spaghetti with red pepper flakes for added oomph. Yum!

444 Madeline March 14, 2013 at 8:25 pm

Hey! If you cut an “X” in the center of your bologna, it won’t puff up and it’s easier to handle.

Now you know.

445 Matt March 15, 2013 at 12:46 am

This is definitely a more complex sandwich. My wife’s roommate can be credited with its invention and I’ve made modifications to it to man it up a bit. It’s a very modular sandwich so everything is “to taste” and substitutions are always welcome. I don’t add them below but you may add jalapeños and/or avacado if you feel so inclined.

“The Awesome Sandwich”
Smoked turkey, roast beef, bacon, pepper jack cheese, whipped cream cheese, alfalfa sprouts, spinach, tomato, mayo, deli mustard and French Onion Sun Chips on an Italian roll.

446 Joey March 15, 2013 at 9:48 am

Glad you mentioned fried bologna. It’s a part of one of my favorite sandwiches:

Toasted sliced bread (I use whole wheat)
Mayonnaise
1 thick slice Fried bologna (the more black, the better)
1 fried egg (over medium or over easy)
1 slice cheese (I normally use Colby-Jack)

Mayo on the bottom slice of bread only + fried egg + fried bologna + cheese + top piece of bread. Cut it down the middle or diagonally & use the sandwich to sop up the yolk.

447 Allen Viancourt March 15, 2013 at 12:08 pm

this one is like a Pigs in blanket but just bigger and better.
take dough and lay on a cookie sheet, putting things in like bacon, cheese,ham, scrambled eggs, hot sauce, peppers, onions, sausage etc. ya know, stuff you might put in an omlet.

then take another layer of dough and cover it, pressing down the sides. throw in the oven, bake till done and enjoy. awesome breakfast sammy

448 Patrick March 15, 2013 at 12:18 pm

2 – 4 slices peppered ham
2 – 4 slices salami
2 -4 slices of sandwich pepperoni
2 slices provolone cheese
Onion
Rye Bread
Mayo or Italian Dressing

Spread the mayo or dressing on both pieces of bread.
Put a slice of cheese on each slice of bread.
Rip up the meat.
Cut up some onion; however much you like.
Throw all that stuff in a nonstick skillet on medium high.
Mix it around with a spatula for 3-5 minutes.
Put the hot, oniony goodness right on top of the cheese and close that sandwich up.
Wait 1 minute for the cheese to melt a little.
Eat.

449 greg March 15, 2013 at 12:49 pm

2 that I like
bologna w/ cheese chips and brown mustard. my favorite when I get it is Branswager with cheese and spicy brown mustard. I rarely get the Branswager cause of price and the fact that its liver so you may not like the smell.

450 Trent March 15, 2013 at 3:59 pm

The Grilled Peanut Butter sandwich. Make it like grilled cheese without the butter; slap a peanut butter sandwich in a frying pan, let it cook to your preferred crispiness. The heated peanut butter is a little gooier too. It gives a whole new life to the peanut butter sandwich!

451 Andy March 15, 2013 at 4:09 pm

BLTCC

Simple twist on a BLT (or a twist on chicken salad, depending on how you look at it)

Thick-cut Bacon
Iceberg Lettuce
Ripe Tomato
Your favorite chicken salad (I think a savory mix is better for this than the grape/walnut country club style)
Bread of your choosing, I like fresh wheat.

452 Jay March 15, 2013 at 4:58 pm

It’s a little out there but the results are surprising. My kids love Spongebob so I actually went out and decided to make my own Crabby Patties for them one night.

First what you need to find is some Crab Cakes. Doesn’t have to be fancy. Once in awhile I’ll use fresh stuff from the seafood market, other times I’ll just buy some of the pre-packaged kind. Heat those up as per the instructions.

Hamburger buns with sesame seeds.

Lettuce, any type you prefer, I always go with iceberg simply because it doesn’t impart too much flavor

Thousand Island Dressing

Cheddar cheese if you like, sparingly.

Assemble into sandwich with sparing amounts of cheese and thousand island dressing and you’re done.

Simple, no fuss, and it tastes pretty darn good.

453 Levi Swang March 15, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Fried PBJ
Take the bread for a pbj and make it like you normally would but after being made, butter the outside of the bread, put it in a skillet just like you would a grilled cheese. Eat.

454 Jeremiah March 15, 2013 at 9:16 pm

Here’s a favorite of mine since I was four or five years old; peanut butter and jelly with pickles and cheese.

455 Ron March 15, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Cuban Americano
1. Paprika covered chicken breast beat down flat until it almost falls apart.
2.Thick slice of ham.
3. Thick sliced sourdough bread or hoagie bun.
4. Big slab O’ mozz cheese.
5. Couple of slices of sweet/sour pickles.
6. a hefty pour of Caesar salad dressing.
7. BACON!
Grill the meats and bread in garlic oil on a cast iron skillet, Assemble, roll up your sleeves and dive in!

456 Harry March 16, 2013 at 8:57 am

Forget the mustard on the bologna sandwich – Bread and Butter pickles will do for me, thank you. Slightly tangy from the vinegar, definitly sweeeet, been making that sammich for years.

457 Harry March 16, 2013 at 9:11 am

Here’s a breakfast sandwich I make on occasion, named The B!tch after my-ex who introduced me to this. Take a toasted hard roll or bagel then add a thick layer of cream cheese AND a sausage patty or two. Also works well with bacon, pork roll, Spam, etc.

458 matt j March 16, 2013 at 12:42 pm

The Ice cream sandwich.

1-gallon ice cream
1-8×8 baking pan

Let ice cream melt, pour in baking dish, refreeze and then cut into sandwich shapes ;)

My 5year old taught me this.

459 C.R. Christian March 16, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Two words; cresent rolls! Cresent rolls can turn an ordinary hot sandwich into something truly different delicious. The possibilites are limitless, ham, roast beef, pastrami, Candian bacon, brisket, turkey and of course the much underrated plain old hot dog. Couple you meat (s) choice with an endless number of various cheeses and you have a staggering array of delicious sandwiches to choose from that couldn’t be easier to make. Basically I have found there are two types of cresent roll sandwiches; roll ups and fold overs. For roll ups (like a pig in a blanket hotdog) just separate the cresent rolls into their natual triangle shape spread your ingredients including your choice of cheese on the triangle and roll them up in it. For a fold over, unroll the cresent rolls and leave two triangles attached to each other to make a square; then just spread the ingredients on half of it (again including you choice of cheese) and fold it over. Bake your cresent roll sandwich on a baking sheet (I cover my sheet with tin foil to make clean up easy) for 17 – 20 minutes at 350 degrees and you end up with a great tasting hot, flaky sandwich that’s as easy to make as it is good to eat.

460 Marco March 17, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Double decker sandwich. One half with brie, pesto and almonds, the other with tomato, cucumber and mayonnaise. Boom. Eat it.

461 Chris March 18, 2013 at 10:36 am

Braunschweiger with a thick slice of raw white or yellow onion on dark rye bread. The only acceptable addition to that is a bit of mustard.

462 Nick March 18, 2013 at 11:32 am

Here’s a clone of a sandwich I had on a surfing trip to Tofino, British Columbia, Canada.

Toast one English Muffin
Spread one side with mayonnaise (homemade with a little extra garlic is best)
Sprinkle on a bit of garlic powder if there is none in the mayo
Place a fried egg, however you like it. I like it over hard.
A slice or two of mozzarella cheese
A slice of tomato
A couple of tablespoons of salsa, however spicy you like
Sprinkle on Parmesan cheese
Add the leftover English muffin.

Messy, delicious, easy, and quite possibly the world’s best breakfast bap.

463 Charles March 18, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Grilled PB & J

Two slices of white bread
Peanut Butter of your choice (best with Jif of course)
Strawberry or Grape Jam
Make sandwich, butter outside and place on a grill pan or skillet and cook until desired bread crunchiness.

Quick, easy and delicious twist to a classic.

464 Nick Lloyd March 18, 2013 at 2:24 pm

I call this one the Big Nick. It is a bit time consuming but all the better.
Whole Wheat Bread (3 slices)
A variety of favorite sandwich meats (My favorite is roast beef and oven roasted turkey)
Cheese(s) (Cheddar and Provolone for me!)
Mayo or Miracle Whip (based on your preference)
Mustard
Lettuce, Pickles, Onions, Tomatoes
Phase 1:
Toast one (it will be the middle slice).
Spread your Mayo on your two other slices of bread.
Place your cheeses on the bread slices, one type on each slice.
Broil them to a gooey, toasty delight
Phase 2:
While those are broiling:
Take the toasted slice and spread on your dressing and any other condiments you choose.
Layer on your meat. I have one side Roast beef and the other Turkey.
Phase 3:
Pull out your broiled slices. You’ll want to set your oven on bake now. 400 degrees, nothing fancy.
Put on your lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, and onions over the broiled cheese.
Sandwich that slice with the dressed up side of the toasted slice.
Next start your spread on the opposite side of the toasted slice and carry on as before with the other meat.
Place the last broiled slice with fillings on top.
Phase 4:
Take a narrow slice of each cheese and make an ‘X’ on the top slice (X does mark the spot!) and place it back into the oven. (for extra bubbly cheese cross, turn the broiler back on at the end)
Leave in until bread is a nice toasty brown and the cheese cross is melted.

WARNING: It’s real big and real delicous.

465 heather March 18, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Ah, but there is an art to the peanut butter, banana and honey sandwich.
Spread the honey on the bread(both slices) then the same with the peanut butter over the honey on both slices. Slice your banana and stack it between. Now Nuke it. Not too long. 15 seconds works to set the honey into the bread so it’s like a honeycomb and use the peanut oil in the peanut butter to fry up the banana….

466 heather March 18, 2013 at 2:37 pm

There’s also what I call southern sushi. Dill pickle rolled in a slice of ham covered in cream cheese.

467 Will L. March 18, 2013 at 11:44 pm

I’ve always enjoyed the Bologna sandwich as a breakfast sandwich. Toast your bread and add scrambled eggs & cheese for a great sandwich

468 Chris B. March 19, 2013 at 8:35 am

Haven’t seen many posts using pesto as a condiment, but it can really take a sandwich to the next level. Here are some of my favorite simple recipes using pesto:

Vero Italian Pannini

Salami
Capicola or spicy ham
Sharp provolone
Basil Pesto
Olive oil
Crusty bread slices or two slices of foccacia

Coat inside of both bread slices with thin layer of pesto. Add a thin layer of each deli meet / cheese. Brush outside of sandwich with olive oil and grill on a panini press or in a skillet over medium low, so the insides get hot without burning the bread.

A healthier variation of this sandwich substitutes slices of tomato and deli turkey for the Italian meats.

Tailgaters Italian sausage sandwich

Hard roll / Kaiser roll
Hot Italian sausage patty
Thick Slice of sweet onion
Basil pesto
Provolone or another melting cheese like mozz. Or American.

This is a grill meal. Fire up the grill and cook sausage patty. Grill the onion slice right along side it until it has nice charred grill marks. When sausage is nearly cooked Spread a generous helping of pesto on both sides of the roll, and toast it on the grill pesto side down. Careful, the oil makes it brown quick. Top sausage with grilled onion, top onion with a slice of cheese, and close the grill to start the cheese melting. One minute later assemble the sandwich. Serve with spicy brown mustard if you like. A cold lager beer is a highly recommended accompaniment.

469 Dennis March 19, 2013 at 10:47 am

Here are 2, one healthy one not so.

Pizza Sandwich
One half of a sub roll cut open lengthwise, Douse half with regular canned tomato sauce the other with some olive oil. Add sliced mozzarella and pepperoni if desired, sprinkle with oregano or italian seasoning and broil, open faced in the toaster oven until the cheese melts. Put it together and enjoy.

The other is a grilled salmon, cream cheese, avocado, and alfalfa on a pita.
Had this one last week in Playa del Carmen, Mexico at an organic restaurant. Thought it was going to be like cardboard but the flavors were unbelievable.

470 marty jackson March 19, 2013 at 3:05 pm

American Cheese and strawberry jam!! on your favorite bread, butter if you like!

471 lothar5 March 19, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Set your oven to 350 degrees and lay two slices of nice, heavy whole wheat bread right on the rack. They will toast slowly.

Next, in a cold skillet, layer sandwich sliced pepperoni, salami, turkey, ham and roast beef. (The order is not important as long as the pepperoni is on the bottom.)

Top off the the meat pile with a double portion of swiss cheese. Cover the skillet and turn on medium heat.

When your bread is toasted to your preference (I like just the slightest amount of brown to add rigidity without becoming brittle.) Remove from the oven and plate.

When the cheese is melted, place one slice of bread on top of the pile and invert the skillet. When the skillet is removed you will find the pepperoni is beautifully fried with just a little crispness around the edges.

Add vegetables (I prefer the classics, lettuce, thinly sliced tomato and dill pickle planks.) then spread a generous layer of mayo to the other slice of bread, top with plenty of black pepper and complete your sandwich.

TIP: I always separate my mayo layer from the rest of the sandwich with pickles closest to the mayo, then lettuce. If the lettuce and may meet, they get quite slippery, also disastrous is when the oily pepperoni layer mates directly with the mayo and soaks into the bread.

This sandwich is ONLY compatible with Doritos brand tortilla chips. Trust me!

472 LM March 19, 2013 at 11:02 pm

The Poutine Po’ Boy

Bread, gravy, fries, cheese and a cellphone to dial 911 in case you have a heart attack.

473 Lauren Mocny March 20, 2013 at 12:46 am

A favorite that’s easy as the bologna sandwich but has a nice spice.

2 slices of white bread,
mustard,
thin sliced peppered turkey
pepperjack cheese

bread, mustard, turkey, cheese, turkey, cheese, mustard, bread.

474 Dallas Storms March 21, 2013 at 6:09 am

The Clogger
a breakfast sandwich
bread of your choice toasted
spread each with mustard (spicy brown) and cream cheese respectively.
fry three (or more!) strips of bacon, put on toast
fry two eggs to your preference, in the bacon grease, stack with muenster or pepper jack on the toast,put all together, enjoy with coffee and a heart attack.
I actually only eat these on Saturdays in the summer, after my long bike rides. I sub in deli meats other times of the year, and cut the calories considerably

475 Jeff March 21, 2013 at 8:37 am

Italian Bologne Sandwich

1 large slice of quality Italian sourdough bread

1 think cut slice of mortadella (Italian style bologne)

1 deviled egg

1 pickled bannana pepper spear (recipe included)

Pickled banna peppers: 4-5 fresh bannana peppers, slice in half lengthwise and clean out the seeds. Add two tablespoons of olive oil to a mason jar, add the sliced peppers to the jar. Slice three cloves of garlic and add to the mason jar. Fill the remainder of the mason jar with white wine vinegar and seal the jar. Refridgerate and let sit for 1 week. Open and enjoy.

Sandwich: make a deviled egg using the whole egg (i.e. the white part and yellow part). finely chop and mash everything so that you end up with a deviled egg spread as opposed to a traditional deviled egg. Lightly toast the bread and butter both sides. Take one slice of thick cut mortadella and place in a hot frying in a pan for 45 seconds per side seconds per side. Smear the toasted bread with the deviled egg spread, add fried and hot slice of mortadella and place a pickled bannana pepper spear on top. Serve open faced.

This sandwich is rediculous. I hope that you enjoy…

476 Chester March 22, 2013 at 11:46 am

My favorite twist on the bologna sandwich was to use salsa as the condiment. It works better if you toast the bread so it doesn’t get too soggy.

I love a good roast beef sandwich. I throw the meat in a skillet or on a griddle and after it’s hot put either pepper jack or the sharpest cheddar I can find, then put it on bread with spicy brown mustard.

477 Nate March 22, 2013 at 1:05 pm

My absolute favorite:

Day After Thanksgiving Roasted Turkey Sandwich

slab of breast meat
jellied cranberry sauce
mayonnaise
salt
Wonder Bread

On one slice of bread, a generous, goopy amount of mayo. On the other, s generous slimy amount of cranberry sauce.
Add the turkey breast salted generously (a little more than the usual amount make the sandwich perfect!).
This tastes perfect with Ruffles, using left over, warmed up sweet potato casserole as dip and a large glass of ice-cold milk.

You’ll never have a finer sandwich…

478 Chuck Yager March 23, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Jagermeister BBQ Chicken Sandwich

Chicken breast 6-8 oz
Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce 2 cups
Jagermeister 2/3 cup
Whole wheat bread 2 slices
American cheese 1 slice
Lettuce
White onion (raw, thin sliced, a few rings like you would put on a burger)
Tomato 1 or 2 slices
Mayo

Combine BBQ sauce and Jagermeister. Grill the chicken on your outdoor grill and start spreading the BBQ/Jagermeister mix on right away. BBQ should be hot enough to caramelize the sauce and get the chicken crispy but not right out burn it.
Flip the chicken frequently, about every 5 minutes and generously re-coat every time you do until the chicken is done.

When the chicken is done let it sit while you mayo both slices of bread pull lettuce, slice tomato. After the chicken has set for a few minutes, slice the chicken at a heavy angle.

Assemble the sandwich like this, mayo-ed bread, chicken, cheese, tomato, lettuce, mayo-ed bread. Cut in half diagonal, enjoy with IPA.

Cheers!

479 Jack March 24, 2013 at 9:29 pm

The Peanut Butter Cup Sandwich

-Toast two slices of bread
-Spread peanut butter on one slice
-Spread Nutella on the other slice
-Let the two melt together for a bit
-Tastes like a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup, but with some crispiness, thanks to the toast

Good sandwich for breakfast or as a nighttime snack.

480 Spencer March 25, 2013 at 10:14 am

My first college roommate was taught this by his Tongan friend while living in SoCal. We lovingly call it

The Tongan Pancake
Ingredients:
1 package of ramen noodles (the square, brick kind. Pick the package that is the most solid. You want one solid piece of ramen, not a bunch of crumbs).
3-4 thin slices of deli ham
1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
2 slices of bread
1 egg, beaten, in a shallow dish
Sauce of choice – I prefer barbecue sauce, but ranch works very well also.

Directions:
Bring a small pot of water (that old pot you typically cook your ramen in) to a rolling boil and add the seasoning packed from your ramen noodles. Feel free to snack on the dry ramen crumbs in the bottom of the package, you only want the main, solid ramen piece for the sandwich.

Put a large frying pan on the stove on medium heat, grease the bottom with 1 Tbsp butter or a spritz of non-stick cooking spray.

Make your assembly line: Dry ramen -> Boiling water -> Egg plate -> Skillet/Fry pan -> toaster -> plate

Read through these directions before starting. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!

Place the ramen in the boiling, seasoned water. Just drop it in, and leave it. Do not submerge, do not stir. Count to eight. Yes. Eight seconds. No more. No less. (Unless you’re an experienced Tongan pancake maker, then you may develop a different preference here). Flip the ramen, and count to eight again.

Pull the ramen out _carefully_ with two forks and let it drain above the water, then drop in into the egg in the shallow dish. Your almost soft, thirsty ramen will soak up about 1/3 of the egg. Now flip it over and repeat on the back side.

Pull the ramen out of the egg and place it in your hot frypan to cook. Now the surgery begins. Using a pancake spatula (or similar), find the seam in the ramen. (If you didn’t know, that brick of ramen is actually a long, thin brick folded in half lengthwise.) Slide the spatula into the seam and pull the ramen open lengthwise so you have a long, thinner strip of ramen. Pour the remaining egg dredge onto the now exposed ramen insides.

Place your cold cuts into the frying pan next to the ramen to heat. Put your bread in the toaster.

Flip the ramen to cook the other side. Once the other side is finished, add your grated cheese on top of the ramen, and cover that with your now hot cold cuts.

Use the spatula to cut the ramen in half so you can place on half on top of the other. You should now have a nice sandwich shape, ramen with egg, cheese, meat, ramen with egg. Keep that in the frying pan until your toast is done. You remembered to put it in when I told you, right?

Place the ramen sandwich inside the two pieces of bread, and either add sauce liberally to the top of the ramen before topping it with the bread, or leave the sauce on the side as a dip.

Consume. And wonder how you ever did without this recipe before.

481 Tom March 25, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Two simple sandwiches:

Roast beef, stilton, (english blue cheese) and mustard to taste

Your favorite chicken salad with sliced grapes and a generous portion of tarragon added.

If you want to freshen up your old stand-by sandwich, look at the spice rack. If you think the spice smells good with your sandwich of choice, it will taste great.

482 Reno March 25, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Peanut Butter, Bologna and Cheese.

Passed down to me from my father, who I can only assume made it up in his pot-head days. It’s as simple as it sounds. I’m a wheat bread fella, myself, but I suppose white could work. Most of my friends are too disgusted by the idea to try it, but those who were bold enough to take the plunge agree that its pretty bad-ass.

483 Derek March 29, 2013 at 9:21 am

Two my mother used to make. They are heavenly. They are both similar, but at the same time they are worlds apart.

Thanksgiving Remix:
Good Deli Turkey
Swiss Cheese
Cream Cheese
Cranberry Sauce
Spread cream cheese on one slice of potato bread, then spread cranberry sauce on the other. Layer meat and cheese and BOOM! Heaven!

The California Hulk:
Good Deli Turkey
Swiss Cheese
Cream Cheese
Avocado
Spread cream cheese on a slice of potato bread, then spread avocado on the other. Layer meat and cheese. Another sandwich straight from the Gods!

Enjoy!

Comments on this entry are closed.