Heading Out on Your Own — Day 4: Keep a Regular Grooming and Hygiene Routine

by Brett & Kate McKay on August 4, 2012 · 53 comments

in Heading Out On Your Own

I know. I know. You’re probably thinking, “Does Brett think all young men are a bunch of uncouth ignoramuses who need an article reminding them to practice basic hygiene?”  No. No, I don’t.

But from my own personal experience and observing the lives of young men heading out on their own for the first time, I do know that keeping up with regular hygiene practices falls to the wayside for many young gents. With the stress of school and work, along with the lack of structure they once had at home, it’s easy to let yourself go.

This post is just a friendly reminder to keep up those regular grooming habits you hopefully formed in your youth. If you haven’t developed these habits yet, now is a good time to start. You’ll feel more alert, have more confidence, and won’t repel the ladies. As an added bonus, maintaining good bodily hygiene can help you become a man of character like Benjamin Franklin: cleanliness was one of his 13 virtues.

Let me be clear. I’m in no way suggesting you become overly fastidious about your personal grooming and hygiene. That sort of preening isn’t attractive in a man, and you probably have better things to be doing than standing in the mirror worrying about blemishes. All I’m encouraging is keeping up with the basic stuff you learned in elementary school health class that will keep you smelling fresh and looking presentable.

Brush and floss every day, morning and night. This was the first habit that I let slip when I went away from home the first time. Between waking up late for class and staying up late into the evening playing video games, my morning and evening dental care became pretty irregular. But I paid for my negligence by having to get two cavities filled at the end of the semester. What a preventable waste of money.

Invest three minutes of your day, morning and night, into proper dental hygiene. Brush twice a day, floss once. Even if you’re dog tired and ready to go to bed, make the effort to get it done. Include a tongue scraping in your routine, too. That really helps in decreasing bad breath. Taking care of your oral hygiene is a habit that will save you money in the long run and increase the chances for that kiss at the end of a date.

Shower regularly. You’ll have that occasional string of days when you’re so busy that you don’t have time to shower. But don’t let your shower-less-ness go on for more than three days. If you get a job in a restaurant, it’s important to shower after every shift, unless of course you’re dating someone who enjoys nuzzling a man who smells like refried beans.

Don’t be this guy. Take a shower.

I’ve had several young folks ask me  if there’s some sort of special “manly” soap or shampoo they should use. Grandpa’s Pine Tar Soap is a favorite of mine. You can find it at most health food stores. You can use it on both your skin and hair, it’s supposed to help with everything from psoriasis to dandruff, and it leaves you smelling like a basement in Vermont…in the best possible way. But really, your soap choice doesn’t matter, even though there’s a bunch of new marketing and “men’s-only” soaps and shampoos telling you otherwise. Get the giant econo pack of Irish Spring and you’re good to go. If you have very sensitive or acne-prone skin, get a special facial soap for those needs.

Go easy on the cologne. Body sprays are heavily marketed to young men as a foolproof way to attract the ladies, leading some guys to go overboard with enveloping themselves in a cloud of it before going out. Instead, apply just a couple of dabs or sprays of cologne to areas like your neck or the insides of your wrists if you want to wear a fragrance. For a young man on a budget, colognes need not be any more expensive than body sprays — there are many drugstore varieties that only cost a few bucks and have very appealing and masculine scents.

Make friends with Gold Bond Powder. Nothing keeps away the swamp crotch and stinky feet like Gold Bond Powder. If you live in hot, humid climates, Gold Bond is a must. Just sprinkle some on your junk and in your shoes. You’ll stay cool and dry all day long.

Keep your nails trimmed. Unless you’re a flamenco guitarist or going for a Guinness World Record, keep your fingernails trimmed. Don’t chew them; gnawed up nails are not attractive and give some people the heebie-jeebies. Get a simple nail clipper and give your nails a quick trim once a week before you hop into the shower. Follow the natural curve of your finger as you cut, leaving the thin, white, unattached crescent of the nail about as wide as a dime. Just enough to still scratch your head.

It’s important to keep your toenails trimmed, too, especially since flips-flops are incredibly popular footwear for young men. You don’t want to look like a sloth, and scrape your woman’s legs with your claws when you’re canoodling. But don’t go overboard with the toenail trimming. Excessive trimming can lead to ingrown toenails. Cut straight across the nail and leave them a little a long. Toenails that are cut too short are prone to burrowing back into your flesh.

Whether you’re trimming your fingernails or toenails, be sure to clean up afterwards — don’t leave your trimmings on the floor or countertop. If you’ve got dirt under your nails, scoop it out with the nail file that is probably attached to your clippers. And if you get a hangnail, carefully clip it off, rather than pulling at it and making it bleed.

Unless you have extended-wear contacts, take your contacts out every night. Sleeping with your contacts in several nights in a row makes you susceptible to corneal ulcers. I know a guy who got ‘em because he never took his contacts out. Even with extended-wear contacts, my optometrist told me it’s still not a good idea to wear them to sleep in for more than a few nights in a row.

Shave regularly/keep facial hair groomed. College is a time when many young men start experimenting with facial hair. Nothing wrong with that at all. But whether you go with a full-on beard or a distinguished mustache, commit to it and keep it groomed. Don’t be one of those guys who grows a patchy neckbeard every two weeks because he’s too lazy to shave. Two days of scruff can be attractive. Two weeks of ungroomed, patchy neckbeard growth looks gross. If you’re going to go neckbeard, do it right.

When it comes to shaving, if you’ve grown up using a cartridge razor, now’s a good time to experiment with using a safety razor and making shaving more of an enjoyable ritual in your life.

Keep your hair trimmed. Just as in facial hair, college is a time where guys both experiment with growing their hair out and get kind of lazy with taking care of it. Letting your hair get a little shaggy is a normal part of the college experience. But don’t let it get totally out of hand; it’s time for a trim when it becomes a distraction to you. I didn’t get my hair cut at all my first semester, and my hair, which is naturally quite thick and ample, became a giant, unattractive bowl that made me feel nappy and disheveled. When your hair is getting in your eyes and stuff, it’s time for a haircut. What, what’s that you say? Some young men purposefully grow out Bieber-esque bangs that they swing from side to side and push out of their eyes every few minutes? Why would a man want to mess with his hair that much? What’s that you say? I sound like an old man? Yes, yes I do.

By the way, just as now is a good time to try shaving with a safety razor, if you’ve only gotten your haircut at Supercuts growing up, now’s a good time to start taking part in the manly ritual of visiting a local barbershop. Get some friends together and go try it. Here’s a guide on how to pick a good barber.

Treat your acne. Having acne can make you feel really self-conscious and sap your self-confidence. But in this day and age, it’s easily treatable in the vast majority of cases, and there’s absolutely no need to suffer through it. If you’ve got a mild case, wash your face morning and night with a face wash made for acne-prone skin and spot treat pimples with a benzoyl peroxide cream when they pop up. If that dries out your skin, use a face wash for acne-prone skin once a day, and a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil once a day. If you get more than an occasional pimple, you might be tempted to try something like Proactiv, but there are much cheaper alternatives out there. Proactiv basically consists of a face wash and topical treatment in which the active ingredient is benzoyl peroxide. But you can buy generic benzoyl peroxide face washes and creams separately at the drugstore for a fraction of the cost. Try that first. Keep in mind that benzoyl peroxide can bleach your clothes and pillowcase, so wash the cream off your fingers after you apply it, and don’t put it on during the day, as it can sweat into the collar of your colored shirt. Use a white pillow case at home, and remember this when you visit someone!

It can also help to get a short haircut that keeps the hair off your face and skin (see, not just an old man thing– there are truly practical reasons for keeping it short!) and to wash your pillowcase regularly.

If your acne doesn’t clear up, don’t hesitate to visit your doctor, as they can prescribe antibiotics and topical treatments that can clear up your face entirely.

Finally, if you’ve got bacne, here’s a post about how to deal with it.

Don’t mind me. Just washing my man hands here.

Wash your hands. A 2005 survey at ballparks indicated that 37 percent of men didn’t wash their hands after using the restroom. Gross. If you want to stay healthy, especially during cold and flu season, wash your hands regularly. I always disregarded this injunction too, until one semester in college I came down with a flu that left me with it coming out of both ends, and stuck shivering and feverish in bed for several days; I couldn’t do anything fun, or workout, or study, even though I really needed to. It sucked big time and wasted a week of my life. After that experience, I became better at hand-washing.

On a related note…get a flu shot every year. If you’re a student, your school might offer them for free at the student health center, otherwise you can get them for $25 at Walgreens. It’s one of the best investments you can make…you can’t put a price on a whole week of your life.

Any other hygiene reminders or advice for a young man heading out on his own? Share them with us in the comments.

1 jodark August 5, 2012 at 12:11 am

I would actually recommend “Anti-Monkey Butt” over Gold Bond. It seems to do a lot better job keeping things dry. I found that Gold Bond tends to get pasty if put to stress, while Anti-Monkey Butt doesn’t do that.

2 Mike August 5, 2012 at 1:02 am

One thing I would recommend to anyone is to properly use a washcloth. Don’t scrub with a naked bar of soap, put the soap on a washcloth and then use the washcloth to clean and scrub. This works way better than any sponges or loofas. Use one for your body and a separate one for your face. This is the way I eliminated all my body acne and it makes you really feel clean.

3 Matthew W August 5, 2012 at 1:28 am

As an addition to the flu shot, hand washing section: If you’re planning on going into education, tutoring kids for extra cash, etc., then these are absolute musts. I came down with the flu and strep throat during my student teaching semester because I didn’t get a flu shot, and because I didn’t wash my hands and use hand sanitizer enough.

4 BasicSand August 5, 2012 at 1:37 am

One word: deodorant.

5 Andrew August 5, 2012 at 3:01 am

Body hair: If you have chest hair that peeks out of your polo or top of a dress shirt, shave the part(s) people can see. Trim armpit hair too, but not so much that you don’t have any.

6 Steve August 5, 2012 at 3:54 am

If you’re like me and going on 30 (and growing a bit more than others): check on your nose-/earhairs or even eyebrows. Just make sure nothing sticks out too much.
Yeah, I know: I’m European, it’s more work and might be even a bit too metro…but sometimes it just looks too wildly & girls notice it right away. Go ahead and ask your sister or cousin.

7 LonestarRussian August 5, 2012 at 4:11 am

Deodorant =good
Antiperspirant =BEST

8 LoneStarRussian August 5, 2012 at 4:13 am

Deodorant=good

Antiperspirant=BEST

9 brian t August 5, 2012 at 5:20 am

Deodorant, yes, and no, it’s not a substitute for a shower and clean clothes.

Never heard of “Gold Bond” powder before; us folks outside the USA just call it “talcum” or “body powder”.

I would add: take care of your feet (starting with clean socks), especially if you do any amount of walking. Which you should, since it’s good exercise and gives you time on your own to think. If you drive everywhere, you don’t really see the place where you live. (Maybe I should write a piece about that.)

10 Josh August 5, 2012 at 6:52 am

I’ve personally found that the best time to trim my finger and toenails is after I’ve come out of the shower. The hot water softens the nail which I find gives it a cleaner cut.

11 Jon M August 5, 2012 at 7:06 am

Can’t believe I’m writing this but if you think about it, what could be more manly. For those of us who are still equipped as we all were born, be sure to retract and give your favorite little buddy a good wash with soap and water every day. Don’t wring dry.

12 Eric Shoe August 5, 2012 at 8:05 am

Hey Brett, what’s your opinion on grooming your hairy legs & toes? I have Germanic blood in me, so my legs often look like I’m wearing wool socks because I have so much hair. Should I trim them? Shave them? Let them grow wild? Since I live in Savannah, shorts are a must, so hiding my legs is not an option. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ^_^

13 Lindsay August 5, 2012 at 9:02 am

OK you didn’t go there, but I’m going to go there, because all young men need this PSA:

1. If your head produces oil or sweats, wash your hair. It smells dirty when you go more than two days without washing it, depending on your natural oiliness.

2. All men who want intimacy: You know how women always have to go to the bathroom before we get intimate? You should do that too. Go make sure your breath smells nice & your junk is clean. And if you need to wash your privates with soap and water before a session of intimacy, rinse the soap off thoroughly.

14 Darrin August 5, 2012 at 9:04 am

I recommend the Seki Edge Stainless Steel fingernail clipper. It works much better than the cheap models you will find at the drug store, and will last much longer too.

15 AC August 5, 2012 at 9:19 am

I would recommend brushing your teeth three times a day instead of two. Breakfast time to bedtime is too long and the damage is already done. Carry a toothbrush and toothpaste in your bag and brush after lunch.

Also, no one is too busy to have a shower every day. It only takes five minutes, for goodness sake!

16 Patrick M August 5, 2012 at 9:19 am

I’ve found that clipping my nails AFTER a shower works better in preventing odd shaped cuts because the nails are softer. This also makes it easier on the clippers.

17 Bill August 5, 2012 at 9:31 am

Clip your nails AFTER your shower (or after you wash your dishes by hand). The reason for this is the same as why you should shave after your shower: it the hot water softens the item to be cut.

18 Josh August 5, 2012 at 10:33 am

Dont use a washcloth! They can harbor germs and disease and are especially bad for children. I met my girlfriend who is half Japanese and she introduced to to a specific wash cloth that is popular in the Oriental countries. It is thin and easily dries, which is good at keeping away germs. Also everytime you wash, it scrubs away dead skin cells, which washclothes dont. Just use like a normal washcloth.

19 CrazySteve August 5, 2012 at 10:34 am

I love that you plugged the DE safety razor shave twice during this post. :-) It’s great advice; I wish I had tried it sooner.

So how does a basement in Vermont smell, in a good way. Haha!

20 lady brett August 5, 2012 at 11:50 am

two additional suggestions that have helped me out a lot –

with regard to acne, the most effective face wash i’ve found has been baking soda – the stuff for cooking in the orange box – it’s the only thing i’ve tried that has even come close to clearing my acne up.

and with regard to nails: the way i finally kicked my nail-biting habit (embarrassingly, not untill mid-college) was to start carrying a mini swiss army knife everywhere. not as awesome as a nice case knife, but between the scissors and nail file, i could use it to fidget with my nails in a semi-productive way – trimming, cleaning, and filing instead of chewing. and, that way they stay near your lap instead of in your mouth, which is much less gross. anyhow – the main point of that was to realize that my nail-biting had less to do with trying to keep my nails short than with needing something to do with my hands when i’m stuck sitting still.

21 Seth August 5, 2012 at 11:51 am

The safety razor is definitely worth it. I LOOK FORWARD to shaving every other day and will never use a 6 bladed contraption given the choice.

Try one out!

22 Scott August 5, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Acne is mostly caused by poor diet choices, so if you struggle from acne, treating it topically will only treat the symptom not the cause, which is toxic build up in the body. In short, cut out the junk food, eat plenty of salad and meat, cut out sugar and grains and your acne will clear up in no time.

23 Kyle August 5, 2012 at 12:04 pm

If you cannot find a good local barbershop, try checking out a Cosmetology school. You can ask for the more experienced students and still get a good haircut for cheap.

24 Mark August 5, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Gold Bond is like an Altoid for your nuts.

25 Nick Healy August 5, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I think flossing cannot be over-stressed. As kids we are programmed to brush but flossing is something we sort of get into as we grow older. I know even in my 20s I brushed regularly yet sometimes forget (or passed on) flossing. My dentist told me that for kid’s teeth, brushing is important, but for adult’s teeth, if you had to sacrifice one, it would be better to keep flossing. Flossing everyday is what will keep your adult teeth, brushing too much will not help and will only wear away your gums faster.

When I was in university, the guys in my residence would take out the clippers after we got home from a night out (legal age is lower in Canada) and the guy least intoxicated would be “the barber”. Then any guy who wanted a trim could sit and get a buzz cut while their tipsy barber tried not to fall down while cutting. Needless to say, I passed and invested in a real barber:)

26 Srinivas Kari August 5, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I have to shamefully admit that I do forget to shower sometimes (especially after coming from a swim or working out late at night). I often forget to brush in the mornings. I also tend to grow my hair longer than it should be and I also forget to trim my nails. This is very critical and I loved the post. I realize that I am not doing it out of laziness but procrastination and these things do not occur to me – its only when my nails have grown a bit long do I realize the mistake. I think every guy should write down exactly what specific grooming rituals he should be doing – shower, wearing ironed clothes, brushing/daily; shaving, trimming nails/weekly; haircut/monthly. I think that writing it down and putting down specifics goes a long way to create a mental checklist of things that should be done.

27 Allan August 5, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I teach grade 7 health in a public school. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve had to take boys aside and have a talk like this with them. (Sadly, its usually boys who don’t have fathers at home. Maybe it’s that they don’t have a good male role model.)

One thing I would note is that true acne is cause by over-production of oil under the top layers of skin. No amount of soap & washing will clear true cases of acne. It’s basically a genetic trait that causes some people (usually in adolescence & puberty) to break out.

Plain old pimples, on the other hand, are what some people get when they dont wash regularly. These tend to be larger, and more painful (depending on the location on the body).

the good news is that true acne tends to clear itself up by the time of physical maturity. If it doesn’t, your GP can prescribe something to help like Accutane or minocycline.

28 Quentin Brown August 5, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I deal with teenagers every week in canadian army cadets, and the main thing that I stress in our hygiene classes is washing and anti-perspirant. Not deodorant. Deodorant covers the stink. Anti-perspirant stops it from forming in the first place.

29 Allan August 5, 2012 at 3:25 pm

@ QUENTIN BROWN,
First off, its cool to see another CIC officer on Art of Manliness! (I work with Sea Cadets)

Second, there are some good reasons to stay away from anti-perspirants. Some contain chemicals that actually block the pores through which sweat is produced. A commpound of aluminum is one such, if I recall. In high enough quantities it’s classified as a neurotoxin.
Long-term exposure from an underarm anti-perspirant isn’t reccomended by the US’s FDA.

Why take the risk? Just tell your cadets that regular deoderant combined with daily bathing is all they need.

Sweat is the body’s natural cooling system. We do it for a very good reason! Just be sure your cadets shower after PT.

30 Jimmy Smash August 5, 2012 at 5:43 pm

I have to disagree with all the face scrubbing advice about acne. I tried the benzoyl peroxide treatments in several different forms, and all that happened was my wallet got lighter, my face got dryer and redder, and my clothes and towels got bleached. Eventually I found out, on accident, that my face clears up just fine when I stop fussing with it. Keep your hands off your face, sleep on your back so your face stays off the pillow, and don’t be overzealous about face washing–a quick, LIGHT scrub with a damp washcloth to remove dirt and excess (but not all!) oil is the extent of my usual cleaning. I use no commercial products on my face whatsoever. However, I do use a bit of almond or olive oil (yes, OIL) on my face to keep it moisturized and reduce ruddiness. But I live in a dry climate, so YMMV.

31 PASunter August 5, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Gold Bond also works great around the neck line if you are susceptible to razor burn when wearing a collared shirt.

32 Joe August 5, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Carry Altoids and tissues. Got the sniffles? No problem. Eat a steak and onion sandwich for lunch? Too easy. Be as religious with these items as you are with your wallet and keys.

I’m not sure what’s worse, sucking snot up your nose every ten seconds, or wiping in off on you fingers every minute. This is an easy fix. Plus, you can reach into your pocket faster than girls can reach into their purse, giving you a solid ice breaker after a sneeze or on a cold day.

33 Robby August 6, 2012 at 8:39 am

Your grooming hints need to hit more on fastidious teethbrushing. Carry toothpaste & a little toothbrush with your bag or car to brush after lunch and then between leaving work & going onto an evening activity. Brushing 3 or 4 times a day makes a huge difference. Also, get a new toothbrush every couple of months. Gargle mouthwash for at least 30 seconds and splash some on the toothbrush. Floss, floss, floss at least once a day. The more you floss the more you realize how food gets caught!

34 Moeregaard August 6, 2012 at 10:51 am

I use Irish Spring Body Wash instead of bar soap. It seems to last longer (saving money), it smells nice, and since it lives in a bottle, there’s no soap scum to deal with. This last point is nice because I hate cleaning that crap out of the shower stall.

35 Michæl August 6, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Vomiting & diarrhea are symptoms of gastroenteritis (commonly called the “stomach flu”). Flu shots are vaccines to protect against influenza (commonly called “the flu”).

Incidentally, hand washing protects against both.

36 Brett McKay August 6, 2012 at 10:17 pm

@Eric-

I’ve haven’t dealt with an overly hairy leg/foot myself, so take my advice for what it’s worth. I definitely wouldn’t shave it. College can be hectic and you may not have time to keep it up daily, and if you don’t, you’ll be the weird guy with stubble on his feet and legs. I would try trimming it, and see how it looks. I’m not sure how it would turn out. If it looks more managed, but natural, that could be fine. But if it looks clearly manicured, I wouldn’t go that route either. Too poodle-y. I would personally say to just let it grow wild and embrace it. That being said, it is wise for a man to maximize his best features and minimize his more distracting ones, so you might consider wearing boat shoes or slip-on canvas shoes (sockless) over sandals and flip-flops with your shorts. Hairy feet are a lot more attention-grabbing than hairy legs.

37 Aaron August 7, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I too highly recommend Anti-Monkey Butt for all your dryness and anti-friction needs. I work on a Navy ship in the hot unforgiving Middle Eastern sun, and I find that A-MB keeps things fresh and chaff-free without a bunch of messy clean-up afterwards.

38 Mark Ruddick August 7, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Not sure if qualifies under hygiene, but… Gargle with a salt mixutre at least a couple times a week. It keeps the sniffles and minor sore throats away.

39 Jr August 8, 2012 at 12:25 am

A few weeks in the field in the Marines lends itself to some interesting lessons learned. 1: You never know how bad you stink until after someone else does. 2: Clean teeth and feet are by far the most important things you can have. 3: Baby wipes = on the spot shower, face wash, the best form of TP ever, and many other uses. I keep baby wipes in my car wherever I go to freshen up if I need it.

40 John August 8, 2012 at 2:25 am

You should brush before meals or at an hour after meals because the acid in the meal wears away the enamel on your teeth when you brush. Not sure about three times a day but if you do, do it before lunch and not after.Also brush gently with a soft brush because the gums retract if brushed hard.

41 Chase August 8, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I have a real fondness for all things Pinaud Clubman – I use the aftershave and the hair gel. But, I also use the Talc in lieu of Gold Bond. I used to use Gold Bond but found that I really, really, like the scent of Clubman – plus I think that it lasts longer.

42 András August 9, 2012 at 8:54 am

For treating acne I would also recomment a gel named Niacide. It’s portuguese and highly effective, I can tell you.

43 Andrew August 9, 2012 at 11:02 pm

This might sound a bit odd, but next time your in the shower get a nice soak going and then turn the water off, work up a nice whole body lather and really scrub all the dead skin off and rinse it all way with water as hot as you can stand it and finish the shower with water as cold as you can take you will step out feeling fresher than you have ever felt before.

44 Nusy August 10, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Another thing on the flu shot: before you go and get it, make it darn sure you’re not allergic to it. I can never get a flu shot exactly because of this: the first time, my body overreacted to it and I ended up with a bad case of the flu that developed into pneumonia; the second time around, I broke out in hives. That was when my doctor back home told me I should just stop this venture, use good hygiene, and stay away from people who have the flu.

45 Robert August 11, 2012 at 7:33 pm

manliest soap ever: Duke Cannon’s Big Ass Brick of Soap

46 Jennifer August 15, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Kudos to Scott re: acne caused by diet.
The skin is an elimination organ, along with the lungs, intestines and urinary tract. When the intestines are backlogged, the skin comes to the rescue. Acne is the body trying to get rid of toxins in the intestines via the skin. Solution: get the intestinal flora in order with probiotics like kefir, drink aloe vera and lots of clean water, cutting back on processed food/sugars, artificial sweeteners and other chemicals. This will work to freshen the breath as well since it’s caused by the same intestinal trouble. It’s not a quick fix but it’s what works in the long run, leading to better overall heath.

47 Oliver August 16, 2012 at 2:42 am

Hi,
git some pine tar soap BUT it is sre a ‘smelly’ thing to store. In my bathroom I now have it in an airtight tupper-box. The second piece is wrapped in two knotted plastic bags.
I tried it and is luckily doe not make the user smell the same as the pure spao smells – although in the first night I felt like I was sleeping in a treehouse ;)

48 martin August 20, 2012 at 8:37 am

i live in continental europe and we dont have gold bond. is there an equally good alternative that can be bought in europe? for ordering gb online costs a fortune

49 Rob August 29, 2012 at 12:52 am

NEVER clean under your nails with metal!! The metal is of course harder than the nail and leaves scrapes and grooves that will retain dirt even worse. Wood is better, but I use an envelope (who doesn’t have junk mail?). The paper stock is hefty enough – just fold it on itself to make a stiff corner and clean with that. You won’t notice results the first couple times, because you’ve already scarred up the underside with metal, but as the nail grows out, the smooth underside won’t gather dirt like before. If you get more than incidentally dirty nails due to your manly hobbies, keep an old toothbrush in the shower to scrub under them after they’ve softened in the hot water.
Half-and-half mix of tapwater and peroxide is great for mouth sores, such as canker sores or when you bite your tongue or cheek.

50 Shan December 11, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I respectfully disagree with the comment about the Flu shot. The flu shot for this year is only good on last years flu strains. This is the way it has been since the flu vaccine began.

51 Veganbeast February 22, 2013 at 10:03 am

“But don’t let your shower-less-ness go on for more than three days.”

Are u f-ing kidding me??? Ya 3 days if you are in jail! Lol when i was in county i wouldn’t for a week i didn’t shower for 3 days b/c well u only understand if u’ve been locked up. Otherwise there is no excuse not to shower at LEAST every other day. God that is some bad advice, otherwise good article.

52 Adam July 9, 2013 at 6:26 am

besides being guilty of all of this although to be fair with shaving at 28 i cannot grow a lot of facial hair and it takes a while(5 or 6 days) to look like a 5 o’clock shadow i tend to forget i need to shave as i do not grow it fast enough or full enough. not making excuses just saying i have another brand of lazy forgetfulness.

I would add though flu shots a huge crapshoot. you do not know what you are getting exactly and they do not protect against all flus. the best way to deal with the flu is to catch it a few times. yes i catch it yearly in some form or another but its not near as agonizing as it was when i first got it at age 5 or younger.

your immune system needs to work out now and then. you cannot just pump the body full of get well drugs on the first onset of illness. let the body kill some of illnesses on its own too. if you get a headache deal with it. throwing up? deal with it. dont reach for that medicine until you really need it. now dont avoid taking medicine if you really need it either but dont make it the first default option

that and as i stated flu shots a huge crapshoot and are not near as productive as people think they are and there are so many strands of the flu they just dont offer a shot for more than a handful or what is expected to be the big on this season. so if you could still catch any number of other flu strands. google this.

53 Matuka October 20, 2013 at 12:19 pm

AC you are abit too crazy i think :) no neeto shower every SINGLE day. And this comes from a guy who DOES shower once everyday (rarely twice a day too). Also brushing teeth 3 times a day? Heck naow ;D not for me. I brush them 1 or sometimes 2 times a day if i remember. 2 times is enough very enough. Guys i recommend taking a shower every 3 days ATLEAST. max 2 times a day otherwise your skin becomes too dry and washed out. And you should buy a good nice middle priced deodorant if u habe money. PlayBoy/AXE. Good Tips. Also WASH YOUR HANDS atleast once a day you must do it. I wash my hands 2-15 times a day depending on what i do etc.