How to Pack a Bag When Traveling

by Brett & Kate McKay on October 16, 2008 · 44 comments

in Travel, Travel & Leisure

When going on a trip, many men, to their shame, have the women in their lives- their mom, girlfriend, or wife- pack their suitcase for them. They either can’t be bothered or are afraid they don’t know how. But your mom won’t always be around, and if you plan on being a well-traveled man, it’s essential that you learn how to effectively pack a bag. You don’t want to bring too much stuff, too little stuff, or have your stuff arrive in a crumpled mess.

Create a packing list

Instead of trying to figure out at one in the morning what you need to pack, create a list of items that you regularly need on a trip. A packing list not only ensures that you won’t forget anything important (especially the little things that are easily overlooked while rushing out the door), it also prevents you from over packing. This will help you cut down on expensive baggage fees.

When creating a list, make it as general as possible. You don’t want stuff on there that you only need for certain trips. For example, don’t put “ski coat” on your list if you only ski once a year. You can always modify the list depending on the trip you’re going on.

We’ve created a simple packing list to help get you started. Print it off before your next trip.

Check the Weather

Some guys don’t check what the weather is going to be like where they’re headed and thus stuff their bag with items they never end up using. Before you pack, check the weather report for a semi-accurate prediction of what Mother Nature has in store for you on your trip. Forecasts these days go hour by hour, so you can see what you’ll need to be comfortable morning, noon, and night. Weather.com is a great resource.

Also, call the friend you’re visiting, or someone who has been where you’re going, and ask if your destination has any quirky weather patterns. For example, San Francisco’s weather may look balmy on the forecast, but if the fog rolls in while you’re out and about, you’re going to get pretty chilly if you haven’t brought a jacket.

Packing Clothes

Every man wishes to pack as lightly as possible. But sometimes when you’re faced with your closet and that empty suitcase you feel a bit of inertia about what to bring. Simply pack one pair of pants (or shorts) for every 2-3 days of your trip, and a shirt and pair of underwear for every single morning. Then add one extra shirt, pair of underwear, and pair of pants, in case something happens that will require it. When you’ve packed the basics, think about what additional items you might need. A formal outfit? A bathing suit? A jacket and gloves?

Also, don’t forget a pair of pajama pants to sleep in. Some guys usually sleep in their undies and therefore overlook this important item. You don’t want your host or hostess to catch sight of your nether regions when waking you up, and you need something to pad down to breakfast in.

Finally, pack an empty garbage bag in your suitcase. That way you can keep your dirty clothes separate from your clean ones while on your trip.

Packing to Avoid Wrinkling
The bane of any traveler’s existence is the wrinkles and creases that end up in your clothes after you pull them out of your suitcase. Try these techniques to keep your clothes neat and crisp while they’re en route to your destination.

Alternate Folding

One way to avoid creases in clothing is by placing one garment between the folds of another garment. By placing another garment between the folds, you can prevent a crease from forming.

In this example we’re packing a dress shirt, a pair of dress slacks, a tie, and few t-shirts.

1. Start off by buttoning the bottom, middle, and top button of the dress shirt.

2. Lay the shirt facedown on a flat surface. Put your finger about an inch from the collar of the shirt and fold the sleeve into the shirt, forming a straight line down the edge. Bring the sleeve in line with edge you just created. Repeat on the other side. You should end up with something that looks like this.

3. Lay your tie completely unfolded along the length of the shirt. Place a folded t-shirt at the point where you want to fold the dress shirt.

4. Fold over your dress shirt. Fold any part of your tie over that’s hanging out of your shirt over your dress shirt. You’ll end up with something like this.

5. Now it’s time to fold your slacks. Lay your slacks on a flat surface and place a t-shirt at the point where you plan on folding the pants. Fold.

6. If you want, place another t-shirt on top of your folded pants. Fold the bottom half of your pants over your t-shirt.

7. Flip over your pants, so the waist band is face up. Place another t-shirt where you want to fold the waist band over the rest of the pants. Fold. You should end up with three folds in your pants with t-shirts in between each fold.

Fold and Roll

If the alternate folding method isn’t your thing, you can always go with the traditional fold and roll method.
1. Roll up garments that don’t wrinkle as easily. These include t-shirts, underwear, jeans, and cotton slacks.
2. Fold garments like dress slacks, dress shirts, and dress coats.
3. Place the rolled up garments on the bottom of the bag. Then place the folded garments on top.
4. Place shoes, socks, and your Dopp kit along the sides of the bag.

Packing a dress coat

If you’re traveling on business or headed out to be the best man at your bud’s wedding, you’re probably going to pack a suit. We’ve shown you how you can fold your pants in order to reduce creases, but what about your jacket? Many large suitcases have a small rack so you can hang jackets. But if you’re just bringing a carry-on you may not have this option. Here’s a nifty method, lifted from a 1953 men’s wardrobe guide, on how to fold a dress or sport coat while keeping wrinkles to a minimum.

1. Spread the coat out on a flat surface. Make certain collar is turned up, that sleeves are straight and laid out smoothly, free of wrinkles.

2. Turn sleeves up so that lower portion is about even with armhole when folded. Keep all parts smooth and free of wrinkles

3. Fold front side parts of coat over sleeves so that edges meet a rear center seam. Smooth out wrinkles.

4. To pack in wide container: Double up over sleeves to top of collar. Pick up each side of garment and lay coat smoothly into bag.

5. To pack in duffle bag or narrow container: Smooth out wrinkles, fold left side over right side, then bottom to top, and lay flat in bag.

Packing Shoes

Many men throw their shoes in their bag willy nilly, but shoes are often (surprise, surprise) quite dirty and can soil your clothes. Put each shoe in a newspaper or grocery bag and place them on top of all your stuff in the suitcase or in unused crevasses. If you’ve got dress shoes that you don’t want to be crushed or creased, stuff the inside of the shoes with rolled up socks and place them on the perimeter of the suitcase with the sole against the outside edge.

Packing Toiletries

If you’re checking a bag and bringing a carry-on, I recommend stashing your toiletries in your carry-on bag. Perhaps even a change of underwear as well. Bags often get lost or misplaced or your flight gets delayed and you end up in a hotel without a toothbrush, toothpaste, or deodorant. But of course, when packing your Dopp kit in your carry-on, you have to follow the rules about liquids provided to us by The Man.

In late 2006, the U.S. Transportation Security Administration introduced rules pertaining to the carrying of liquid, gel, and aerosol products aboard commercial aircraft. All liquids must be in thee ounce containers or smaller. You also must place all liquids in a clear ziplock bag. Unless you want to be that guy who holds up the line at the airport, you’ll need to take make sure your carry-on toiletries meet these specifications.

One way you can do this is by buying travel size containers of your liquid products. They’re quite handy and space-saving. If you want to save some money and help reduce waste, you can buy cheap travel size bottles and fill them up with your products from home.

If this is too much of a hassle, another option is buy alternatives to liquid products.

Shampoo: J.H. Liggets Bar Shampoo

Toothpaste: Powder toothpaste

Shaving Cream: Shave Soap

Razors. Despite the ban on pocket knives, you can carry on certain shaving razors, such as disposable razors or razor cartridges. If you like to shave like your grandpa, you’ll be happy to know that safety razors are also allowed. However, you won’t be able to carry on your straight edge razor. Sorry Bill the Butcher.

Additional Tips

Leave a little room for souvenirs. If you’re going on vacation and expect to bring back some goodies for yourself and your loves ones, don’t pack your bag to the brim or you won’t have any room to tote the plunder back. If you plan on bringing a ton of stuff home, pack a collapsible bag inside of your bigger bag, and you can fill it with your booty.

Mix it up with your travel buddy. If you’re traveling with your bud or your girl, it’s a good idea to pack half of your clothes in her bag and half of her clothes in your bag. That way in case one of your bags gets lost while traveling, you’ll still have access to some of your clothes.

Steam it up. It’s hard to avoid wrinkling your clothes during transit. When you arrive to your destination, it’s best to unpack right away so you can let your clothes relax before creases and wrinkles get a chance to set. If you still have some wrinkles in your clothes, hang them up in the bathroom while you’re taking a hot steamy shower. This should help reduce any wrinkling.

Manly luggage. If you’re looking for some manly luggage to pack all your stuff in, make sure to check out Saddle Back Leather. It’s a bit expensive, but man does their stuff look awesome. Hat tip to Matt Chancey.

How do you pack?

Everyone has their own way to pack. What has worked for you? Got any tricks you learned in the Navy that lets you pack your entire wardrobe in a carry-on without anything getting wrinkled? Drop a line in the comment box and share your wealth of knowledge.

Sources:

My mother-in-law
realsimple.com
smartertravel.com
ehow.com

1 Eric October 17, 2008 at 1:45 am

Hmm. The idea of not packing my own suitcase is totally foreign to me. The last time somebody else packed my suitcase was when I was a little kid.

The folding methods are good though. I tend not to worry too much about wrinkles, and if I am worried about them for a particular piece of clothing, I’ve found that rolling it up is a good method of keeping wrinkles out (assuming you’re careful to keep them out while rolling, of course). Rolling also gives you a good soft place to stick semi-fragile things into a suitcase without worrying about them being damaged.

Be careful of exceeding weight limits if you’re flying and using the rolling method. Somehow it’s easy to fit a *lot* more clothes into a given suitcase by rolling them all rather than folding.

2 Louis October 17, 2008 at 3:07 am

How timely, I am taking a trip next week. Thanks for reading my mind!

3 jim October 17, 2008 at 4:26 am

I learned how to pack wrinkle-free at http://www.onebag.com Go to the “How to Pack It” tab, and halfway down the page is a link to diagrams. I use a small couch pillow for my core, and it works out great. I stopped by a local vinyl sign shop, and asked for some empty vinyl cores (they just toss them out). I use these to roll my pants around, and they don’t wrinkle. Start at the bottom of the pant leg, and roll the pants around the core (tightly), until you reach the waist. It works great. Vinyl cores are cardboard cylinders about 15″ long, and have about a 4″ diameter.

4 Mark October 17, 2008 at 4:39 am

Great tips. I found the “Pack-it” System of Folders from Eagle Creek work great for traveling. They have a folding insert and are made to organize and utilize the space efficiently in any bag. Almost completely eliminate wrinkles too.

5 R October 17, 2008 at 5:12 am

The “Mix it up” trick is a very important one that many ignore. It’s easy to each pack your own, but it’s a risky move.

As far back as I can remember, that’s what my mother always did. Everyone’s stuff was mixed up. So no matter what got lost, if 1 piece of luggage was found, everyone had a day or two’s worth of stuff.

Another good suggestion is to pack medication as carry on when at all possible. Just in case checked bags get lost.

Also always carry something for allergies, stomach problems, etc. You never know what you encounter at your destination and how late the drug store is open. Not every place has a 24×7 drug store right by where your staying. If you need it just 1x in your life, it will be worth carrying. Not to mention if your not feeling well, the last thing you want to do it go looking for a place to buy drugs.

6 Art October 17, 2008 at 6:04 am

I roll everything so it doesn’t wrinkle too badly, but I also plan on ironing pants and shirts when I get to my destination. I also save some space by wearing my suit jacket instead of packing it.

7 Matt October 17, 2008 at 6:28 am

One handy trick I learned is to take the plastic covering from my drycleaning and cover shirts or jackets with it before I fold it and pack in my bag. It cuts down on the wrinkles.

8 Jayce Tohline October 17, 2008 at 6:58 am

I travel from 60 to 80 percent of the time, primarily serving clients in business casual environments for 4 to 5 days at a time. I strive to pack for carry on only, which can get tight. I pack one pair of shoes with shoe trees and shoe covers. My two pair of slacks are laid out on top of each other, then folded twice, with t-shirts at the folds to prevent creases. At the hotel they are hung by the cuffs on pants hangars. I iron my shirts at the hotel, so I don’t worry about wrinkles and creases. I have learned, however, to clear the residue metals from the iron by giving it a few bursts of steam, face down on the ironing board before I EVER set it on my shirts.

9 Tom October 17, 2008 at 8:36 am

Rolling your ties and belts works well to avoid creasing.

10 Jake October 17, 2008 at 9:25 am

Tom is on point. Roll the tie up and insert the roll into a shoe.

11 Matt October 17, 2008 at 10:07 am

You forgot some things: Shaving brush, calling cards, flower bouquet dictionary, jumper cables.

12 Casey October 17, 2008 at 7:53 pm

HOW could you forget to list SOCKS in the list! Maybe it’s just me (I don’t travel on planes much, and never for business), but I would rather wear any other piece of clothing several times than to put on a used sock. I must have at least one pair of socks per day.
R also makes a good point about medication. Dramamine, Immodium, Asprin, etc. are very good things to have with you (don’t ask me how I know.)

13 JC October 18, 2008 at 5:40 am

Casey’s blind, Matt’s hilarious & Jake doesn’t use shoe trees…

14 mike October 18, 2008 at 7:03 am

hmmm…I actually roll all of my clothes, suit everything. It sounds crazy but it works, no creases nothing. The only problem is that it takes up more space than if I were to fold everything. Nonetheless, this is an excellent post and will be sending links to this post to my dear friends who could use this info! Thanks!!

15 Jeff@MySuperChargedLife October 18, 2008 at 11:07 am

This is a great post that points out some excellent techniques! I particularly like the advice for creating a packing list. I wrote a post awhile back called:

12 Things You Absolutely Must Pack For Vacation

It is an example of such a list. It might help some of your readers from forgetting to pack important items before a trip. I hope it adds value. Thanks!

16 Joe October 18, 2008 at 11:22 am

Kudos for the OU T-shirt in the picture. Boomer Sooner!

17 John October 18, 2008 at 1:52 pm

I am going on a 2 week business trip (UK & Italy), this trip will be 14 full days (i.e 10 full business days, 2 full weekends)

My itinerary would including

[1] Business-meetings/seminars/presentations etc Mon-Fri 8AM-to-5PM (where I would be expected to wear suits)

[2] Dinner/drinks with clients/potential-clients in the evening ~7PM. “Dress code” would be business-casual/semi-business-casual.

[3] Weekends for “team activities”

(I will also be carrying my lap-top)

I am however trying to fit everything.

Can you give me an idea of a “one bag” solution for this trip (I have already been to http://www.onebag.com and a few other websites)? I am not particularly fund of the RedOxx’s Air Boss. While I may like the Air Boss’s functionality, its just not business-like enough for me (and the environment I will be in)

Can you give me an idea of what my packing list would be for this 14 day business trip? I would want to at least include 3 business suits (black, grey and navy blue) and 1-2 blazers into my (1+1) carry-on.

Has anyone here ever tried packing a suit in a duffel bag? Does it really work ?

I currently have Tumi’s Alpha Medium 22″ Wheeled Duffel ( http://www.tumi.com/product/product-detail/?modelId=109538 ) and Tumi’s Alpha Essential Brief ( http://www.tumi.com/alpha/essential-brief/ )

I was instead thinking of getting Alpha Continental 20″ Carry-On ( http://www.tumi.com/alpha/continental-20inch-carry-on/ ) to complement the Alpha Essential Brief ( http://www.tumi.com/alpha/essential-brief/ )

I would REALLY APPRECIATE any advise/suggestions on this issue. Please also feel free to share your business trip experiences.

18 Marcs October 18, 2008 at 4:31 pm

I too am interested in the responses to the question (above) that John has asked.

Also is there a manufacturer that build custom-made carry-ons? Because I am thinking that I would have to design my own to meet my (perfect) requirements…

19 titaniumtux October 28, 2008 at 1:02 pm

@Marcs:
There are unfortunately plenty of shops who can sell you baggage that meets the exact dimensions of a maximum sized carry-on. Using one is a great way to make many enemies on an air plane. You’ll annoy even more people if you use two. There’s not much that can be more annoying than large carry-ons holding up lines for security verification and being loaded and unloaded from overhead compartments.

I’ve combined travel with studies around the world and I must say I’ve become a fairly efficient budget traveller. I’m holding off for now, but I must say for that reason I’m waiting for technology to improve and become more affordable. I travel with a 12″ laptop with a mechanical hard drive (the hard disc is probably the most weight-costly variable). A solid slate disc like in the iPod, the Linux Asus eee and Linux Acer Aspire One would make this machine much lighter. The moment such computers have N-range wireless cards working in Linux and long-lasting battery lives, I’ll buy one and travel with it. The computer is indeed the heaviest and most valuable item I travel with. I’ll also need a new backpack for my next big trip because my current one is falling apart.

Packing a backpack is different from packing a suitcase. For international travel I’d add to that list the following items:
- Passport;
- Visas (if required by the host family);
- Pocket phrasebook (if you’re going to a country or region where you don’t know the dominant language);
- Air filtration mask (for the more polluted cities of Asia and the American California)

For all travel I’d add the following:
- Half a kilo (seventeen and half weight ounces) of powdered laundry detergent
- Pocket knife;
- Rope (maybe 30 meters or 90 feet tops, it makes a practical clothes line when need be);
- Duct tape;
- Sewing kit (probably the most important one here)
- Mobile phone (with a decent phone, one could eliminate the need for pen and paper and play podcasted media)
- Caffeine pills (probably the most innocent ingredient in caffeinated drinks, might as well give yourself exactly what you need when you need it at the right dosage, no other toxins/sugar)

Just my $0.02.

20 wkuikfkycu November 15, 2008 at 3:42 am

IkO3qZ kbzzpovhkuiu, [url=http://qrbafzwjclyp.com/]qrbafzwjclyp[/url], [link=http://msuoinrcncqw.com/]msuoinrcncqw[/link], http://bpsyigieeahp.com/

21 Kevin Scaldeferri November 17, 2008 at 9:23 am

On the matter of razors: on my last trip, the screener did spot my DE safety razor in my carry-on, and they dug it out and confiscated the blade. So, at least in the mind of that crew on that day, it was a no-no. OTOH, I’ve carried it though several other times without issues.

22 Cars10 November 18, 2008 at 5:31 am

You forgot the most manly way to fold/pack a jacket:
Starting point: Wearing the jacket
Then slip out one arm.
Swing the jacket around your back to the front (with the other arm still in the sleeve).
Then slip with ‘other arm’ – then one which is still in one sleeve, into the free armsleeve too.
Then fold it once
-> Is is folded by 1/4
-> It cannot wrinkle

23 Lukas April 29, 2009 at 12:28 pm

One thing you should NEVER forget when packing… a (good) book. you never know when you will need something to kill some time, a book is perfect for this.

And I agree with rolling clothes up. no space, no time.

24 pariah May 13, 2009 at 2:09 pm

I find if I take everything that I need and put it on the bed next to the suitcase and then, using both hands, I stuff everything in at once and force the suitcase closed, sometimes having to stand on top of it, that everything pretty much comes out in the same condition as it was when it went in.

25 John July 18, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Something that works for me is tightly and carefully *rolling* my clothes (particularly jeans and slacks). If you do it tight like a tent or sleeping bag, you can keep wrinkles out–just smooth and tighten as you go. Start at the bottom of the garment and roll up.

26 MF July 18, 2009 at 4:40 pm

@John

For great one-bag solutions see http://www.tombihn.com

27 hommer July 20, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Here is a few tricks:
Pack 1 suite w 2 slacks. You now have 1 formal outfit and 2 respectively more casual outfits depending on the choice of slack. Pack 2 pair of shoes (One casual and one formal) and one belt. 1 sock and underwear per day of travel and 3 T-Shirts and 1 short. If on the road for more than 1 week, you will need to learn how to wash clothes or discover a local service. Upon arrival, take off all cloths worn on the plane (Running shoes, Jeans etc. and wash and clean them (Send out or do in the room, your choice) shorts and T’s form basis of gym clothes for morning workout) Jeans for casual weekend attire, etc. To take wrinkles out of your suite, hang it on a wooden coat hanger behind the bathroom door. A hot shower creates a lot of steam and if properly packed this is enough steam to unwrinkled a good suite. Plan your cloths and schedule out for 10 minutes to have fresh daily outfits matching the level of meetings you are attending. It is quite fun. All else fails you can go shopping and buy your missing needs. Its far more fun than over packing or travelling with a heavy load. One point to remember is when shopping locally you need to lug the stuff back, so you need to ensure you have space in your luggage for the new duds you just picked up. Besides nothing is less cool than an executive w a huge suitcase at the airport. The carry on luggage is all you need for up to 2 weeks road trip. Personally with practice I have survived for 5 weeks with the carry on only. However this is not for the novice traveler.

28 Doug Thornburg July 21, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Something my grandmother taught me as a very small child – in the evening, hand-wash your shorts / socks / t-shirt (Dr Bronner’s lavendar soap is ideal), rinse well, squeeze out. Roll each piece in a hotel towel, tightly, twist – this will pull much of the moisture out – unroll, then hang to dry. In most places, this change of “unders” is dry by morning. Also works for shirts – this is one of the reasons I heavily favor silk shirts. I normally try to carry no more than 4 days’ underwear / shirts, two pants plus shorts, light sweater, usually a wool sport jacket.

On business, I let the company pay for hotel laundry every 3 days, if I am in one place that long. It is a valid expense, and lets me carry a reasonable (20 kilos) amount of luggage for any length trip.

I use a 21″ roll bag, and a leather backpack with expansion zipper. I carry a CPAP machine w/ hose and small laptop, meds, TSA liquids, a book, dopp kit, change of unders, and all those “little things” in the backpack – spare glasses, wipes, snackbars, pens, safety pins, mini-flashlight, quarters, teabag, spare ziplocks, camera, battery, phone, ipod, passport, tickets, itinerary (copy 1). Most of this stuff stays in the side pockets all the time.
The roll bag gets clothes, all chargers, extra book (one is never enough), copy of itinerary (copy 2), small umbrella, more (large) ziplocks, trashbag (dirty clothes), nylon trunks (swim, exercise, “decency” shorts for the AM). Always a nylon shell jacket (Californian, allergic to water falling out of the sky) and hat. Usually one pair dress and one pair casual shoes.

29 друг July 21, 2009 at 3:27 pm

я обычно всё пихаю кучей. :)

30 Will July 26, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Rather than the garbage bag, I find using plastic shopping bags to be the most convenient. First I have a ton of them laying around under the sink at home and they often accumulate at the hotel room if you buy anything while traveling. Keeping the dirty clothes away from the clean is very important. And it’s also nice to pack everything in bags to begin with; it keeps things tidy in the suitcase especially when you are looking for something towards the bottom.

31 Carl Muthman August 16, 2009 at 2:20 am

I used to work out in the field regardless of weather. One thing I purchased for the long overnights trips was a portable Peet Boot dryer, the small electric folding type. All together it would fit into a small bag about the size of a small Dopp kit. Putting on warm dry boots in the morning is just so wonderful and kind of like a small piece of home.

32 Michael September 1, 2009 at 11:51 am

Roll ties and put them in little sandwich zip lock bags you can get 3 in a bag, they stay neat and unlike the shoe idea your ties won’t smell like old shoes when it’s time to wear them! They can stay safely clean like this for months and come out ready to wear.

I also strive to balance suitcases with the weight toward the bottom so they are not tippy when you pull them (the wheeled kind) and pack a few items in my carry on. As a commercial photographer I always have ore than just a laptop, my camera gear partly goes with me (FAA rules allow professional photographers one extra gear bag but most airline personnel don’t know this) and part under the plane, or I ship gear to my work sites. If I’m doing this I’ve found it’s cheaper to ship my luggage and cloths along than paying the hefty fees most airlines charge now. It allows me to travel light while my cloths and gear show up ahead of me and are ready when I arrive.

Many older travelers know this trick too, they only carry one light bag to keep things easy and overnight express ship their luggage to the hotel for longer trips. It costs less than airlines, is more reliable, better tracking and you don’t have to mess with it or get stressed out about lost luggage. Insure everything and forget about it.

33 Steve September 15, 2009 at 9:12 pm

A tip for packing suits:
Just leave the suit on the hanger and bring it in a garment bag. I always bring this in addition to my carry-on and have never been forced to check it or charged more by an airline. (Maybe they consider the garment bag your “personal item.” I don’t know.) Then, as you step onto the plane and the stewardess greets you, just politely ask if you can hang your garment bag in the stewardess’ closet in the front of the plane. Usually, once they see you with a garment bag, they will offer to do this so you won’t even have to ask. Don’t feel bad about this either. The closets are almost always nearly empty. Now instead of worrying about your suit wrinkling in the overhead compartment as you fly, you can know that it is getting no more wrinkled than it would in your closet at home. Just don’t forget to retrieve it when you get off the plane.

Bonus suit packing tip:

Most garment bags are big enough to hold two suits. Take advantage of this and you can have more clothing variety while traveling. In fact, why not wear a suit as well? Now you have three.

34 gratis geld September 20, 2009 at 4:24 am

Damn, thats manliness! No serious, it’s very handy to be able to pack a bag very sufficient. Thanks!

35 Cole September 30, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Funny you should mention but, I learned to pack in the Navy. If you fold everthing just as they taught us (and I have taught zillions of young sailors) it all fits, comes out wrinkle free and you have everything you need plus a room for some things you dont ;-)

The Chief

36 The Sheila November 10, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Hope I’m not breaking any rules by being a woman and posting here.

Chief, do please expand on what you taught those young sailors; I’d love to know how to pack wrinkle-free clothes, mine always come out looking bad.

37 Michelle Clark December 11, 2009 at 6:29 am

In most duffles, ironed clothes would need to be re-ironed by the time you get to your destination! I have an innovative feature in my Briggs & Riley 28” upright wheeled duffle. It’s got a garment securing panel which holds down my clothing perfectly, helping them stay wrinkle-free.Since you need to carry more, you might want to consider purchasing the 28” Briggs & Riley expandable upright. This would suit your needs perfectly since you will be away from home for a total of 14 days. I have been eyeing it myself and may just wind up purchasing it since its on sale right now!The unique thing about this upright is the Outsider handle – bars are on the outside leaving a flat packing space on the inside. This creates more packing space. There’s also a removable garment sleeve with a tri-fold that can pack 1-3 suits very comfortably and a separate pocket for linear storage of ties. This is expandable so if you need more space the one-touch rigid expansion system will add 2.5” extra! Several great features! By experience, I know that smart designs and functions help make my travel experience a lot less stressful.The added benefit of Briggs & Riley luggage is its lifetime warranty that even covers airline damage!

38 Bill July 18, 2010 at 10:17 am

Leave room for souvenirs while packing? Better to make the room while you’re away. On a two-week trip to Hawaii, the Spouse and I MAILED OUR DIRTY LAUNDRY HOME. Cheaper than the airlines, and what’s the worst that could happen? Properly insured, mailing home the dirty clothes is a safe and sure way to make room for the souvenirs.

39 Steve Picataggio November 5, 2013 at 11:53 am

I would love to see a video on this. Although there are some already up on YouTube, it would be great to see the AOM Video on packing!