Note: The String Yank Technique can’t be performed on parts of the body that aren’t attached (e.g., earlobe, nostril). If the hook is stuck in your eye, don’t even try to remove it yourself! Go to the emergency room immediately.
String yank technique
- Tie off a loop with some fishing line. Place the loop over the hook’s shank and lightly pull it against the bend of the hook.
- With your other hand, press down and back on the hook’s eye.
- Don’t worry: only a tiny bit of flesh is behind the barb. It won’t hurt too much. Clean and bandage.
Advance & cut technique
- Using pliers, advance the point of the hook (including the barb) out of the skin. Follow the natural curve of the hook.
- Use your pliers to cut the hook below the barb.
- Remove the hook by backing it out through the wound. Clean and bandage.
Illustration by Ted Slampyak