Many dream of leaving the city and all its tethers and obligations and creating a simpler, more independent life farther from the mainstream population and entirely off the grid. But how do you go from that daydream to making such a move a reality?
My guest walks us through the process today. His name is Gary Collins, he made the leap himself and now lives off the grid in Northeast Washington, and he’s the author of several books on off grid living as well as simplifying your life. We begin our conversation today with why Gary decided to leave his conventional, urban, 9-5 existence to find a freer lifestyle, and how he defines being off the grid. We then get into why Gary thinks you should make the move to living off the grid in a series of steps, the first of which is to simplify your existing life in three main ways. Gary then makes the case for why living in a RV should be the next step in your journey, before discussing the process of finding land for your off grid home, and the factors to consider in picking a locale. From there we get into how those who live off the grid take care of water, sewage, power, and internet, how they construct the house itself, and what to know about the start-up costs involved. We end our conversation with a discussion of getting off the grid in a more metaphorical way by quitting social media, and why Gary thinks you should pull the plug on those platforms, even if you’re an entrepreneur.
If reading this in an email, click the title of the post to listen to the show.
- Why did Gary first decide to go off the grid?
- What does “off grid” really mean? Is it a spectrum?
- Beginning the process by simplifying your current life
- Gary’s three-legged stool for the simple life
- Living the RV life
- Finding the right land/property for off-grid living
- How do you access water off the grid? Power and electricity? Internet?
- How do you deal with waste?
- The immense technological strides of the last couple decades
- What about the tiny house movement?
- How much does it really cost to go off-grid?
- Why having your finances in order is so important
- Why should you get off social media?
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- Gary’s books
- How to Survive a Grid-Down Disaster
- How to Bug-In
- A Survival Expert’s Guide to Bugging-In
- 5 Books to Get the Personal Finance Education You Never Had
- A Place for Everything and Everything In Its Place
- How to Get Started Composting
- 4 Lessons From a 4-Week Social Media Fast
- Becoming a Digital Minimalist
- Utopia is Creepy
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Listen ad-free on Stitcher Premium; get a free month when you use code “manliness” at checkout.
Read the Transcript