If you’re looking to pay down debt or save for a financial goal faster, there are two ways to to do it: either save more money or make more money. Let’s assume you’re knocking it out of the park with your frugality. How can you make more money? Well, one way is starting a side hustle. Besides providing you with extra income, my guest today argues that having a small business on the side can actually bring a lot more satisfaction and confidence to your life. His name is Chris Guillebeau and I’ve had him on the podcast before to discuss his book Born for This.
Today on the show Chris and I discuss his latest book, Side Hustle: From Idea to Income in 27 Days. Chris and I begin our conversation talking about why every man should have a side hustle — including those who are already very happy with their day jobs. Chris then walks us through the process of starting a side hustle from ideation to business formation to marketing. Along the way Chris busts some myths that people have about starting a business and provides examples of folks who have added $1,000 to $20,000 a month to their income with a business they work on in their free time.
- What is a side hustle?
- Why everyone should have a side hustle
- Why it’s beneficial to do something rather different from your day job with your side hustle
- How to go from an idea to making money in less than a month
- Coming up with an idea for a side hustle
- How to test your idea with $10 and a Facebook account
- My own experience with side hustles
- What makes for a successful side hustle
- “Starter” ideas vs. “Next Level” ideas
- How to make money even with saturated markets and ideas
- The infrastructure you need (or more appropriately, don’t need) to start making money with a side hustle
- How the Art of Manliness started as a side hustle
- How to effectively market your new idea
- What to do if your side hustle is a flop, or if it’s just a mediocre success
- Defining your side hustle goal
- The viability and desirability of having more than one side hustle
- What Chris learned from his own side hustles
- Using side hustles to teach your kids about entrepreneurship
Resources/People/Articles Mentioned in Podcast
- My first podcast with Chris: The Art of Non-Conformity
- My second podcast with Chris: Find the Work You Were Meant to Do
- AoM series on Side Hustles
- My podcast with Patrick McGinnis about being a 10% entrepreneur
- The Gig Economy
- Side Hustle School podcast
- 9 Lessons in Entrepreneurship from Shark Tank
- How to Give an Effective Pitch
- The Rideshare Guy
If you’ve been looking to start a side hustle to earn a bit of extra cash, I highly recommend this book. Very actionable and practical. Be sure to check out Chris’ Side Hustle School podcast as well for real-life case studies.
Connect With Chris
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Indochino offers custom, made-to-measure suits at an affordable price. They’re offering any premium suit for just $379. That’s up to 50% off. To claim your discount go to Indochino.com and enter discount code MANLINESS at checkout. Plus, shipping is free.
Recorded with ClearCast.io.
Read the Transcript
Last updated: October 6, 2017