Outfitted and Equipped: Linking Up at Keens Steakhouse in New York City

by A Manly Guest Contributor on April 10, 2013 · 16 Comments

in Dress & Grooming, Outfitted & Equipped, Style, Visual Guides

Keens Steakhouse 1

Brought to you by Jameson Black Barrel.
What’s this?

Editor’s note: This is the third in a series of three editions of Outfitted and Equipped where I’ve asked three of my favorite men’s lifestyle bloggers to curate an edition based on what they would wear and carry when linking up with friends at their favorite hometown hangout. This one is from Michael Williams who resides in NYC and blogs at A Continuous Lean.

A New York institution, Keens was founded in 1885 and is best known for its beautiful wood-paneled bar, the thousands of clay pipes that cover the place (Teddy Roosevelt, Babe Ruth, Will Rogers & Albert Einstein all have their pipes on display) and of course its famous mutton chop.

Keens is located not far from Herald Square on 36th Street. It’s part of NYC that I rarely go because it can be so crowded and annoying, but it is worth the trip and the hassle. The place has history, the bartenders are efficient and knowledgeable, the crowd is interesting, atmosphere is enjoyable, and the food is great. What more could you want?

How does Outfitted and Equipped work? The FAQ.

1. The Watch: IWC Pilot’s Watch Mark XVII. A simple and classic watch from one of my favorite watchmakers. The Mark XVII evolved from the great IWC pilot’s watch of the 1940s.

2. The BeltTanner Goods Standard Belt. These guys do a great job of making very high quality small leather goods. These little things are often overlooked, but not here. The leather is great, and so is the hardware.

3. The JewelryCol. Littleton Copper Engravable Wristwire. I generally am against bracelets as a rule, but these are simple enough. Plus, I love anything monogrammed.

4. The TieAlexander Olch Chambray Tie. I’ve known Alex for six years or so, and I’m constantly impressed with his dedication to both making great looking things and to pushing the American cravat industry to new heights.

5. The SunglassesRay-Ban Folding Wayfarer. Nice update to the classic Wayfarer. I like these glasses because you can easily keep them in a jacket pocket and tuck them away.

6. The Briefcase: Lotuff Bridle English Briefcase. Classic in looks and made in the United States; much like Keens, this bag only gets better with age.

7. The Jeans: Levi’s Vintage Clothing 1954 501Z. The first ever zip fly 501 from Levi’s. These jeans have the slimmest leg of any Levi’s 501 through history. I wear them as often as I can.

8. The Beverage: Jameson Irish Whiskey.

9. The Pre-Outing RoutineUrsa Major Big Kahuna Skin Care Set. It’s important to remember that while men generally age nicely, a little preventative maintenance (as my old man would say) never hurt anyone.

10. The JacketBaracuta G9. Good enough for McQueen, good enough for me.

11. The ShirtNew England Shirt Co. Pinpoint Oxford. This shirt transcends style and trends. It may fray and need some bleach, but will never go out of style. Made in Fall River, Massachusetts.

12. The CameraCanon Powershot S110. I think this is the best point and shoot on the market and I almost always have it on me.

13. The FlaskKaufmann Mercantile Handmade Copper Flask. Beautiful copper flask from one of my favorite online shops. You need this because sometimes the bar is crowded and you hate waiting for your next drink.

14. The SocksUniqlo Men’s Socks. The Japanese are sock experts, in my opinion. Crazy value for your money here.

15. The Boots: Alden Alpine Wingtip Boot. Beautiful (nine eyelet!) leather boots from the New England shoemaking gods and only available from Leather Soul, one of the greatest shoe stores ever created.

_____________________________________

Michael Williams is the founder and owner of A Continuous Lean, a blog that highlights products and stories “for those with an appreciation of quality, style and provenance.” Be sure to check out ACL’s American List for a resource of Made in America clothing and goods. Unlike other such lists that often feature tacky products, The American List is geared towards younger consumers who are looking for domestically made items that are cool and stylish.

1 Brandon April 10, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I really like these Outfitted and Equipped articles. Thanks for posting!

2 brian April 10, 2013 at 2:55 pm

It would be cool if you all could start putting together some “Outfitted and Equipped” with more reasonably priced items. They are nice clothes but I feel that dudes like cheaper. For instance, the tie you put up there is $150 when you could probably find a comparable one at thetiebar.com for $15.

3 Matt B April 10, 2013 at 3:01 pm

I really enjoy these articles. I wonder if maybe you could do one for hiking? I only ask because I have certain restrictions to the clothes I wear one the trail. Rule #1: No shorts or blue jeans. I favor khaki BDU pants for this

4 Kenny L. April 10, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Love that copper flask, but WAY out of my price range…. bummer dude, I’d be willing to pay like 10% of that…

lightbulb: get them to do a giveaway (and obviously choose me as the winner).

Let me know when you get that arranged so I can let you know where to ship it, k thanks bye.

5 Brett McKay April 10, 2013 at 3:41 pm

@Brian-
All previous O&E’s have contained reasonably priced items. Although I say that with the caveat that we look for things that are both reasonably priced, and look good, and are well-made. And if they’re made domestically and we can support American craftsmen, all the better. We often look for the most reasonably priced item that meets these criteria. That sometimes means paying a little more, as not many “cheap” items do, but then they’re not a true bargain anyway.

But for this little mini series, we invited guest curators to put together a gallery of what they themselves actually wear and carry. Mr. Williams is a successful man and can afford these styles (as a prominent style writer I imagine he gets free stuff too from companies!). The task he was given was not to take what he wears and then find a bargain version of it, but simply to present his own actual style. Mr. Williams is a huge advocate for American craftsmen, and to him it is worthwhile to pay extra for an item that is made in America; the tie he chose is such, while the $15 tie from the Tie Bar is imported.

Others may not have the same budget as he does, and that is fine. The idea of O&E is not to say, “buy these specific items,” but to give you general inspiration for things you might incorporate into your own getup. That might involve taking something you see here and hunting down a bargain version of something similar for yourself.

@Matt B.

Good idea. I’ll keep that in mind.

6 Jeb Raitt April 10, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I dined there some years ago when it was still called Keen’s Chophouse and you could still smoke the pipes on the premises. At the time, I was too young to smoke, but they gave me a souvenir pipe with a stem only about 4″ long. I suppose the Pipe Club has been closed down by modern sensibilities about public smoking.

7 brian April 10, 2013 at 4:05 pm

@Brett McKay
Don’t get me wrong….I have been keeping up with the “Outfitted and Equipped” for some time and dig a lot the compilations and choices- I am a big fan.
I appreciate the search for American made products and didn’t even realize that was a focus. I to have spent a good amount on American made products for reasons of both quality and the idea of just buying American. I was mostly throwing it out there as a possible series of moderately priced items here and there mainly because I like certain things but then am surprised at the price after clicking on the link.
Keep up the good work and keeping it manly.
B

8 Clint April 10, 2013 at 4:47 pm

This particular IWC is one of my favorite watches they make right behind the Portugese family. Understated and classy with enough flair to catch the eye of someone with enough knowledge. Well selected sir.

9 Brian C. April 10, 2013 at 5:22 pm

I agree with brian…I’m not saying that the readers couldn’t afford some of the niceties that are posted but I’d rather see some more affordable options. Like instead of $1500 for a leather brief…I’d go with Saddleback Leathers options. Just a thought….have a great day…and I do love these posts!!

10 Dylan April 10, 2013 at 9:09 pm

In response to Brian (and also to Brett’s reply to Brian) I can totally appreciate the sentiment in this series of having other writers select some items for an O&E. I think its been very welcome change of pace seeing different and unique takes on men’s style.

That said though, I do feel like I have to add that these selections are a bit out of my price point (though, they certainly make for a great point of reference as I search for comparable items more in my price range). As much as I’ve enjoyed these, I look forward to a return to exceptional items at “every man” prices.

11 Dylan April 10, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Oh and hang on…what? TR didn’t smoke past childhood when his father would make him take drags of his cigar to calm his asthma attacks.

Not that I don’t trust the folks at Keen’s, but can someone find me where they got this claim from?

12 Jacob April 10, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Personally, I really enjoyed this one for what it was…a look into one guys’s closet. I’ve actually been a fan of ACL for a long time, so it was cool to see what Michael picked out. I enjoy ACL for similar reasons — a lot of the stuff they feature is way out of my price range, but sometimes it’s just fun to check out well-made stuff. I wouldn’t have wanted Michael to pretend to carry a different briefcase and stuff then the one he actually uses for fear of ruffling the feathers of people who don’t have the same budget…..

13 caferacerpall April 11, 2013 at 8:11 am

I know I’m not alone on this but I’m in the mind set of boots being for work or the woods not casual wear

14 brian April 11, 2013 at 1:26 pm

It is definitely a good reference point when things are too pricey cause you can usually find something similar for less money. And, I assume, part of the reason for this whole series is that most men don’t know what the hell they are doing when it comes to style and AoM is assisting us cavemen.

@caferacerpall
I can see what you mean about the boots when they get a little too polished up and frilly but I wear Wolverines, casually, with jeans or khakis just cause they are comfortable and I don’t worry about wrecking them.

15 Tyler May 16, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Love this series and this collection but (understanding what Brett said about the guest curators) I still did a spit take at the watch. Okay, I can get behind $550 Aldens but that watch is $5000!! dang

16 Lawson January 21, 2014 at 3:03 pm

I liked the look of the IWC watch so much I removed the stainless bracelet off my Rolex Explorer and ordered a black gator strap..very happy with it. Thanks for the ideas!