The Art of Manliness Podcast #42: Level Up Your Life With Nerd Fitness & Steve Kamb

by Brett on March 7, 2013 · 6 comments

in Podcast

Welcome back to another episode of the Art of Manliness podcast!

In this edition we talk to the founder and owner of one of my favorite websites, Steve Kamb of Nerd Fitness. If you haven’t been to Nerd Fitness yet, go check it out today. Steve writes incredibly useful and inspiring content on how to improve every aspect of your life (but in particular your health) and does it in a way that’s fun, engaging, and approachable. (Steve’s actually written a couple of great posts for AoM too: 8 Reasons You Need to Rediscover Your Passion for Exercise and Don’t Be That Guy: The Taxonomy of Lousy Male Friends)

Steve has basically taken fitness and turned it into a real-life video game. On his site you’ll find workouts inspired by The Hobbit and the Konami Code and motivational pieces that riff on The Goonies and Iron Man.

Highlights from the episode include:

• What’s wrong with most fitness blogs and magazines
  • The rules of the Nerd Fitness Rebellion
  • Workouts inspired by retro video games
  • And much more!

Listen to the Podcast!

1 Patrick March 7, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Brett, loved the podcast and the topic… I’ve been getting into fitness year and its great to have some new resources like Nerd Fitness to turn to. Please keep bringing us more podcasts! I don’t usually get enough time to read AOM on a regular basis, but podcasts give me a chance to listen at work or in the car. Thanks!

2 R.J. March 7, 2013 at 10:33 pm

I’m very glad I found this podcast. Brett, thank you for interviewing this wonderful man. Of course, there are several men on this website who state that gaming is an addiction antonymous to the manly lifestyle. I disagree, because I believe gaming should and can be taken moderately like any other human pleasure, while still being manly.

I’ve been recently trying to become healthier, but I prefer button mashing of bench pressing. Because you’ve introduced me to his wonderful website. You and Steve Kamb put several good points about the state of the fitness industry today, and I agree with you. But that’s how they make business, preying off people’s insecurities. I’m grateful that you made this podcast today. Now I can rejuvenate my body and treat it the way it should have been treated years ago, but with a theme I can relate to.

TIME FOR ME TO JOIN THE REBEL ALLIANCE.

3 Josh V March 8, 2013 at 10:17 am

haha, this is great! A long time ago I used to play dungeons & dragons with some guys in high school. I still keep in touch with some of them and I remember a few years back talking to one in particular who had really gotten into strength training and saying he related it a lot to building stats in D&D, but in a real world scenario. I thought it was hilarious, but whatever gets your motivation is great. Making something foreign seem familiar to people is really great.

4 Efrain March 8, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I love Nerd Fitness and Steve has inspired me in business, life and fitness. The dude rocks! I once emailed him for advice, I do that often when I admire a blogger to see if they are genuine and he went above and beyond to help. Thank you for this post.

5 Tyler Haas March 9, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Awesome podcast. It’s both inspiring and slightly deflating to here what Steve is up to. One thing I’m realizing the more I get into medical school is that health is way more influenced in the daily habits of patients than doctors could ever hope to be. Consequently I’ve been trying to work on a fitness game for a while to put up for free online to try and help inspire nerds like myself to better take control of their health. It makes me happy that it’s getting done by someone with more time and resources than myself, but a little meh knowing it’s already been done. Still going to work on it though and link to his page heavily to get people to check it out as well (I could care less where people are getting healthy from as long as they’re getting healthy). Still inspiring that there is a growing movement out there (along with your blog) of people who are re-empowering the public to take control of their lives and health. Keep up the good work!

6 Dale Melchin March 24, 2013 at 9:49 pm

It like the back end of this post where he talks about the reason. The most compelling thing thing is vision! You have to have a compelling vision or else, you will fall. I’m also going to see about investing in a kinectic so I can game and exercise. :-D