The Art of Manliness Podcast Episode #27: Gym Junkies with Vic Magary

by Brett on July 19, 2010 · 12 comments

in Podcast

Welcome back to the Art of Manliness podcast! In this week’s episode we talk to fitness trainer Vic Magary. Vic blogs at Gym Junkies where he dishes out straightforward advice on fitness and health for men. We talk about his philosophy towards fitness, how to get started with a fitness routine, and the biggest mistakes men make when exercising. For more information about Vic and his work, check out Gym Junkies.

Exclusive Gift to AoM Readers: Vic was kind enough to offer an exclusive gift to listeners of the AoM podcast. It’s a free eBook entitled the No Gym Needed Workout. Just click on this link to get to the download page.

Listen to the Podcast!

Other ways to listen to the Art of Manliness Podcast:
Listen to this episode on a separate page
Subscribe via iTunes (Join 58,000 other subscribers)

1 JG July 20, 2010 at 5:28 am

Great cast! Thank you for sharing.

2 Mike Austin July 20, 2010 at 5:34 am

You should do this book for sure! It seems to me that the world of big publishers works kind of the same way that record companies work, basically like a bank. You are the product and they decide if they want to invest (loan) the resources in money and promotion, distribution, in return for a piece of the action. Unfortunately that make them only go for safe product. I am also writing a book, mine about my dad and his concoctions in the kitchen as I was growing up. I don’t think a major publisher will be interested and I have pretty much decided on self publishing. If you also offer your book at any speaking engagements, etc., I think you’ll sell just fine. GO FOR IT!

Mike

3 Steve July 20, 2010 at 9:11 am

Brett,

The publishers need to take a urinalysis test because they are on something and clueless. Get hot on that book!

4 Sergiu July 20, 2010 at 10:13 am

I have some lower back problems, at my L4-L5, L5-S1 vertebrae. What can I do in the gym?

5 Mikkel Nordvig July 21, 2010 at 6:47 am

You should definately do the book – it would be a logical and much appreciated follow up on your phenomenal first book-offering. I would love a more mentality-centered piece of litterature in my bookshelf alongside my how-to centered AoMbook – publishers are among the cowardliest people in the world, never daring to venture into something, others havent paved for them – they are no-risk folks – pay no mind and get writing!
Yours truly – Mikkel Nordvig

6 Christy Paterson July 21, 2010 at 7:28 pm

I liked this podcast, but when I went on his site, and explored a little, he is definately preying on the ignorant- just look at his store. Anyone who has ‘top secret weight loss information THE MAN doesn’t want you to know’, is a liar and a fraud.

7 Jeff Sigel July 22, 2010 at 10:43 am

Christy, it’s just marketing – I picked up his product and I think its pretty damn good. Much better than all the B.S. out there – Vic seems pretty honest about the fact that you have to put in the effort to see results, and I also really like a lot of his ideas for fat loss that go against the mainstream ideas. Im doing his no dairy/no wheat recommendation right now and after 2 days I already feel better.

just my 2 cents…

8 Vic Magary July 22, 2010 at 8:41 pm

@ Christy: there is definitely a fine line between marketing effectively and delivering on what you promise. I only have one product available, and it comes with a no hassle 60 day guarantee. I answer all emails personally from anyone who has purchased the program. And no one who has actually followed the program has lost less than 7 pounds – and I’ve seen as much as 29 pounds lost in 31 days with the program. Regardless of what kind of “hype” the marketing machine puts behind the program, the bottom line is that it works.

@ Jeff: No doubt, you have to work to see results. Email me anytime if you have questions about the program.

9 Carlos Infante July 25, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Intresting podcast, but I have to disagree with it. For years I’ve had back problems and I started physical rehabitlitacion 2 years ago. It’s pretty much a gym, but it’s run by a doctor. I pretty much do all the workout’s found in a gym, supervised by a rehabilitator/personal trainer who is trained. Anyways the doc gives special seminars every month so as to inform us what our rehab is all about, plus he trains/gives classes to all his staff. In one of his talks he talked about nutrition and what he basiclly said was eat a balanced meal and exercise, exercise being an activity that balnces the muscles. He also mentioned that it’s important to eat meat as a source of protein and that vegetables are only good for vitamins and minerals and don’t serve any other nuticional purpose, since fiber is not digestible and only serves to add volume to the digestive system.
It’s quite intresting what the doc said. Also the doc is against comercial gyms as the staff in those places because they aren’t well informed in anatonomy and pretty much leave costumers to their own devices so that’s why a lot of people get hurt exercising.

10 Bananna July 27, 2010 at 1:13 pm

just wanted to mention that Vics [free] blog greatly benefited my quality of life.
highly recomend it. for men and women :) as well as the 31 day fat loss cure
@Christy, do some more exporing.
most diet tips out there include things like eat whole wheat bread and limit calories blah blah blah.
Vic’s very good with his advice: eat real food (cave man diet that’s also featured on Marks Daily apple) and excersize regularly with some intensity.
if you dont like his contribution to the society then i guess its your loss
everything i purchased from Vic is top notch info and i swear by it.
Vic, i love you man!!! keep it going!!

11 steve August 5, 2010 at 8:46 am

Hi. In the podcast Vic mentioned that doing a 5 mile run or something like that isn’t the most efficient way to lose weight (compared it to using a screw driver instead of a hammer) Well, what are the efficient way(s) instead of running? I don’t think this was mentioned in the podcast and I’d really like to know. How do I “use a hammer” ?

Thank You!