5 Hearty Winter Breakfasts to Fill Your Belly

by Brett & Kate McKay on February 4, 2010 · 74 comments

in Cooking, Food & Drink, Travel & Leisure

Image from Captain Geoffrey

“Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.”-Adelle Davis

Breakfast has always been the man’s meal. It’s usually men who are in charge of whipping up glorious fire cooked breakfasts on camping trips, and dad who’s flipping pancakes on Saturday morning. I’m not sure why this is. Maybe the hard working cowboys and frontiersmen of yesteryear understood the value of a hearty breakfast in the morning and always gave that meal extra attention. Perhaps back in the day when women were expected to make dinner, cooking breakfast on the weekend was a way for the man to take a turn in the kitchen. Maybe it’s because men have always had an affinity for greasy spoon establishments and have a deep appreciation for the diner breakfast.

Or maybe it’s just because we love sausage and bacon.

Most likely it has to do with the nature of breakfast food. It’s simple and straightforward-never fancy or fussy. There are no five star gourmet breakfast restaurants, no wine pairings with your pancakes, and no foie gras omelettes. Breakfast is food without affectation.

At any rate, men love breakfast. We love to make it and we love to eat it.

And there’s no better time for a good breakfast than the winter months. It’s cold, dark, and dreary, and you want something in the morning that will stick to your ribs and fuel your day. Food so hearty and tasty that the anticipation of it actually gets you out of bed in the morning.

Punxsutawney Phil has predicted 6 more weeks of winter. So here are 5 hearty breakfasts to power you through to spring.

Cajun Breakfast Casserole

Breakfast casseroles are awesome. Their possibilities are limited only by your imagination. They can accommodate any combination of eggs, vegetables, meat, and bread; you can thus concoct one from anything you have hanging out in the fridge. But if you want a specific recipe, here’s a good one.

Prep: 20 minutes, Bake: 40 minutes

• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • dash of hot sauce
  • 4 slices bread torn in 1-inch pieces
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • salt and pepper

Preparation:

Heat oven to 400°. Butter a 2-quart baking dish.

1. In a large skillet, cook sliced sausage with the onion and bell peppers until vegetables are translucent. As they near completion, throw in the tomatoes and let them cook a minute or two.

2. Whisk eggs with milk in a bowl with the Cajun seasoning, pepper, and any other spices you want to use. Add a few dashes of hot sauce to taste.

3. Arrange the torn bread over the bottom of the buttered baking dish. Sprinkle with the sausage and vegetables. Top with cheddar cheese and then pour the egg mixture evenly over the top.

4. Bake for 40 minutes, or until puffy and lightly browned.

Apple-Pecan Baked Oatmeal

If you love oatmeal, but have never tried it baked, then you’re really missing out on a whole lot of deliciousness. This recipe is like a hearty, good for you version of apple cobbler. It makes a ton too, so if you’re a single guy or childless couple, you’ll have tasty leftovers for several mornings after you make it.

Prep: 20 min, Bake: 45 minutes

• 4  teaspoons  baking powder
  • 1  teaspoon  salt
  • 1 1/4  cups  water
  • 1  cup  milk
  • 1/4  cup  melted butter

Preparation

1. Toast the pecans in a pan over medium heat until they are fragrant.

2. Peel and chop apples into 1 inch chunks. Spread the apples on the bottom of a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish (make sure the pan is pretty deep-the oats need a lot of room). Sprinkle toasted pecans over apples.

3. Combine oats and next 10 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring until well blended. Pour oat mixture evenly over apples and pecans.

4. Bake covered at 400° for 30 minutes; uncover and bake 15 more minutes or until golden brown and set.

If you’re feeling a bit wild in the morning, it’s extra good when topped with whipped cream.

Green Chili Breakfast Burrito Casserole

Breakfast burritos make a great morning meal. Fry up some eggs, sausage, onions and so on and wrap it in a tortilla. This casserole offers a twist on this standby, turning it into a green chili wet burrito layered lasagna-like thing. Trust me-it’s awesome.

Prep: 20 min, Bake 25 min

Serves 4-5

Ingredients

• 1/2 pound sausage
  • 4 eggs scrambled
  • 3 medium potatoes, diced
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1/2 green pepper, diced
  • 1 can of green chili sauce
  • 2 cups of Mexican cheese
  • Flour tortillas

Preparation

1. Fry up the sausage until it’s browned. Set aside.

2. Fry up the potatoes. When they’re almost done, add the peppers and onions, and fry everything until done. Season with whatever spices strike your fancy. I like to throw in paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and fajita seasoning.

3. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Cut the tortillas in half and create a layer on the bottom of the pan. You can tear them in various pieces to cover the bare spots, but don’t do too much overlap. Sprinkle in a layer of veggies, sausage, and eggs. Ladle on some of the green chili sauce. Sprinkle on some cheese. The depth and width of your pan and your desire will dictate how many layers you can make. But repeat the process at least once more, finishing with tortillas, sauce, and cheese on top.

4. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

Nutty Buckwheat Buttermilk Pancakes

No matter what you call them-flapjacks, hotcakes, or pancakes, they are the quintessential breakfast food. Pancakes are a blank canvas that you can transform into a hundred different varieties of fried flour goodness. Chocolate chip pancakes, blueberry pancakes, banana nut pancakes-the sky’s the limit. This is one of my favorite pancake recipes. It produces pancakes that are hearty, nutty, and filling. And the buckwheat makes you feel like you’re eating something healthy.

Prep: 5 minutes Cook: 10 minutes

Makes 8 large, filling pancakes

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
  • 3/4 cup unbleached white all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped
  • 1.5 cups buttermilk
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 eggs

Directions

1. Whisk together the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another.

2. Mix the wet and dry ingredient together. It’s okay for the batter to be a little lumpy. Overmixing the batter will result in tough panackes.

3. Grease and heat up a skillet over medium heat. Drop 5 inch circles of pancake batter into the pan.

4. Wait for bubbles to emerge on the top of the pancakes and then flip them over.

5. Top with butter and real Vermont maple syrup. The use of Aunt Jemima and her syrup impostor kin is punishable by 30 lashes.

Biscuits and Gravy

Looking for some good Southern comfort food? Look no further than biscuits and gravy. Nothing else can warm your belly like hearty gravy filled with savory sausage.

My tip: As much as you might like sausage, don’t go overboard on it. As you can see, my sausage gravy turned out more sausage than gravy. But I love sausage, so I really didn’t care.

I’m not yet confident enough in my culinary skills to make my own biscuits and thus used the refrigerator roll variety. But if you’d like to make your own biscuits, more power to you brotha.

Sausage Gravy

Ingredients

• 1-pound package pork sausage
  • Flour
  • About 1 quart of 2-percent milk
  • Salt and pepper

Directions
1. In a large skillet, brown sausage over medium heat.

2. Add flour — enough to coat the sausage. Stir until it absorbs the grease from the sausage.

3. Add milk (1 quart or more, as needed), salt and pepper. Stir until thickened. If it’s too thick, add more milk.

4. Pour over your biscuits. Enjoy.

1 Bernie February 4, 2010 at 1:50 am

They all sound pretty damn delicious, but I think I’m gonna break out that apple oatmeal tomorrow. Never tried baked oatmeal before.

2 Devan February 4, 2010 at 1:51 am

I was scared of making biscuits too until I watched Alton Brown do it. Truth is, they’re easier than pancakes! Here’s the video I’m talking about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3QuQSdjMVE
Here’s the recipe (although I substitute butter for shortening and vinegared milk for buttermilk): http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/southern-biscuits-recipe/index.html

Trust me, once you’ve had real biscuits, you can never go back to the frozen.

3 Carl Muthman February 4, 2010 at 3:15 am

Biscuits and gravy aren’t just for breakfast anymore! Good homemade recipe is irresistable!!!!!!!!!!

4 Richard | RichardShelmerdine.com February 4, 2010 at 4:17 am

The pancakes look absolutely delicious. I’m gonna have to try that recipe. Cheers for this.

5 Tom February 4, 2010 at 7:23 am

Biscuits are different in the UK, they are more like your (US) cookies.

I think the equivalent in the UK would be more like a scone. Just so fellow Brits don’t get confused.

6 Tom Phillips February 4, 2010 at 7:39 am

Hmm, with a snow storm on the way for this weekend, it might be a good weekend to try one of these recipes.

Carl,

I agree B&G are not just for breakfast. Any fried meat will make a good gravy, and is a good excuse to make biscuits.

7 Finnian February 4, 2010 at 7:53 am

Mmmm… breakfast.

I’d write more, but my pancakes are ready.

8 Jamie February 4, 2010 at 7:58 am

But tha’s no’ how you make porridge!

9 Mike at The Big Stick February 4, 2010 at 8:40 am

Great post! I’ve caried on my dad’s tradition of making breakfast for the family every Saturday morning. If I ever organized my recipe files the ‘Breakfast’ section would be the far-and-away largest. Most of the dishes involve eggs in one way or another. Scrambled, poached, over easy and in a fritata. All seem to be hits and a good breakfast seems to be the best way to start the day. I will never understand the folks that have a yogurt and a banana and wonder why they are cranky by 11am.

10 Lee February 4, 2010 at 8:47 am

Oh hell yeah! Breakfast is the meal of champions! Seriously though, breakfast has gotten a horrifically bad rap in the last few decades, and thankfully is starting to make a comeback. Studies have shown (but I’m too lazy to look up a citation at the moment) that eating breakfast, any breakfast, can actually help you lose weight, not to mention keep you more active during the day. So those of you guys who (like I used to) swear by just your coffee for “breakfast,” think about adding a bowl of oatmeal, or an egg and a piece of toast, or if you don’t have that kind of time, a piece of fruit or a bagel on the run. It will jump-start your metabolism for the day, and will give you a boost of energy so that you aren’t snacking on unhealthy stuff before lunch, and help you kick start a productive day.

On the recipies; I am really intrigued by the cajun casserole; I’m going to have to try that, and soon! My wife and I make sausage gravy and biscuits on a pretty regular basis. I’ve found a good ratio is 1 lb. of sausage (JD or Bob Evans are both excellent) cooked, then mix in 1/4 cup of flour and 2 cups of milk, then simmer to thicken, and reduce your heat. If it starts to get too thick before you are ready to eat it, just dribble in some milk to thin it back out. I make drop biscuits out of Bisquik mix, and they are great, and super easy to make. The recipe is right on the box. I also will make a couple of fried eggs to throw on the biscuits, then spoon the gravy over all of it. Man is that good.

11 The Baltimore Babe February 4, 2010 at 9:16 am

I love breakfast. All of this looks delicious!! YUM.

12 JG February 4, 2010 at 9:28 am

Hm. I always thought it was just me who loved to make and eat breakfast.. It’s just so bloody good.

I’ve got to say that my favorite in your list is the biscuits and gravy. I grew up eating those every Sunday and those memories are some of my happiest. We used bacon gravy, though. My mom would always save the drippings from bacon every time she made it and then turn it into gravy on Sundays. I wish I could have those again sometime.

13 Greg February 4, 2010 at 9:41 am

I’d cook up a more elaborate breakfast, but the I’d lack time to read AoM.
I do one of the weekend breakfasts, generally it’s the bacon and eggs treat meal.

And for the kitchen challenged:
1. There’s a pancake mix called Krusteaz. Hard to mess up just adding water.
2. No time in the morning? Hard boil a dozen eggs one evening. Quick breakfast protein (or lunch item) for several days (well, mebbe three with my family)
3. Starbucks does oatmeal with fixings.

14 Mitchel February 4, 2010 at 9:46 am

Whenever I make Biscuits and Gravy I always add a large pinch of red pepper or cayan pepper. Adds a little zing to this awesome breakfast.

15 Eric Granata February 4, 2010 at 10:32 am

Great post! I’ll have to try some of these on the Saturday’s ahead. That casserole looks amazing!

My typical Saturday includes pancakes using a recipe that is supposed to come close to what iHop serves. I find it comes fairly close. I also make omelets which are handy because by the end of the week we always have leftover meet and veggies that I can throw into it.

16 Derek February 4, 2010 at 10:41 am

I love gravy. Period. Sausage gravy on biscuits. Left-over turkey gravy on bread or stuffing. Fantastic! Unfortunately, the photo of biscuits and gravy looks more like “wet, flour coated sausage.” That’s not gravy.

Gravy should start with a roux. You might have to cook sausage to get the grease, but you’re really thinking about the roux. Once you know how to make a roux, you can make gravy for any occasion.

Two-percent will work in a pinch for sausage gravy. I prefer to use 2 cups condensed milk and 2 cups water. Dissolving the roux in water before adding the milk helps avoid scalding the milk. And, at Thanksgiving, I can replace the water with turkey stock for better flavor.

17 W February 4, 2010 at 10:41 am

This is an excellent post! My breakfast ususally consists of a bowl of cereal, and an apple… Now I can actually make it better!

18 Tom February 4, 2010 at 10:50 am

OK, I hate to be the nudge here but I’m really trying to keep it healthy and none of those breakfasts seem to fit the bill. I’m not trying to promote myself too much here but I’m in the business of health and wellness. Everything is on the up and up and nothing I do has anything to do with multilevel marketing, so fear not. I have a monthly e-newsletter you can sign up for on my website and there’s always a recipe that can be used for a breakfast alternative. Everything from smoothies to butters to,,, well just you wait :) So, instead of an unhealthy breakfast every morning and indulging in a heart attack on a plate, just do them every other day until you get used to it. Maybe ArtofManliness will let me write an article on this. Is health and wellness manly? It’s a whole lot better than hating yourself while looking up from a hospital bed in the ICU. Nothing manly about that.

19 Tom February 4, 2010 at 10:52 am

Oh wait, I almost forgot. My website. Just go there and sign up for the newsletter.
http://www.healthenergetics.com. Happy day guys.

20 John February 4, 2010 at 10:56 am

The absence of bacon from these recipes is quite disturbing

21 CoffeeZombie February 4, 2010 at 11:09 am

Sadly, for most of us, time constraints mean the only day we can eat a proper breakfast is on Saturday. And even then, it’s not always possible.

My favorite Saturday breakfast, though, is fairly simple: 2 fried eggs on toast (I like sunny-side up, my wife likes over-easy), a couple Sister Schubert’s Sausage Rolls (or bacon, depends on mood and what we’ve got), a bowl of grits (ideally with cheese), and hash browns (I used to shred the potatoes in the food processor myself, but that got to be too much of a pain, so I just buy them frozen). Add orange juice and coffee, and that’s a pretty good breakfast!

As a side note, I’ve been making the time for a decent breakfast during the week lately. Mostly, this is because my wife is pregnant, and wants eggs every morning. So, our weekday breakfast consists of fried eggs on toast, OJ, coffee (for me), and the sausage rolls.

22 Brett McKay February 4, 2010 at 11:56 am

@Eric-

I hope you’ll consider sharing that recipe for IHOP-esque pancakes. I love me some IHOP.

23 Albert February 4, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Make these biscuits: E-Z Drop Biscuits (from allrecipes.com)
Prep time: 15 min (really takes 5 min)
Cook time: 15 min
Total time: 30 min (really takes 20 min)
Ingredients
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 tablespoon baking powder
* 2 teaspoons white sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar (this is actually optional)
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup melted butter
* 1 cup milk

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, cream of tartar and salt. Stir in butter and milk just until moistened. Drop batter on a lightly greased cookie sheet by the tablespoon.
3. Bake in preheated oven until golden on the edges, about 8 to 12 minutes. Serve warm.

24 James Wells February 4, 2010 at 12:13 pm

A wine pairing with breakfast might make Monday mornings more smooth and pleasant!

25 warriorpoet912 February 4, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I have three kids and on sundays usually make a huge batch of ginger-flax pancakes. Talk about healthy! The flax has omega-3 in it (found in salmon) which is great brain food and the ginger stimulates the senses. All you have to do is use half (ground) flaxseed and half flour in a standard pancake recipe when it calls for flour. (Flax by itself just falls apart). Add a handful or two of powdered ginger and you’re good to go. For all the single guys and those on the run, a batch freezes well and can be heated like toast in the morning but still eaten like traditional pancakes. To your health!

26 WDG February 4, 2010 at 1:36 pm

I never eat breakfasts most days. I prefer a brunch-like meal at 10:30 in the morning. However I always think of breakfast as a meal during vacations. I always like eggs Benedict or corned beef hash.

27 Julie February 4, 2010 at 1:36 pm

From the perspective of a wife who is also a mommy, it is wonderful! for the guy to make breakfast especially when the momma has been up all night with the baby.

28 Troy February 4, 2010 at 2:48 pm

@Brett -
Here’s recipe I’ve used before that comes pretty close to IHOP pancakes.
Ingredients
* 1 1/4 cups milk
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1 egg
* 1 cup flour
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda

29 darris February 4, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I’ll be converting the baked oatmeal recipe to vegan. It’s an easy ‘fix’. I love the ‘manly’ idea of all this but I want my men (husband and teenage son) alive and kicking, not dead from coronary heart disease! Thanks for your fabulous blog!

30 Lee February 4, 2010 at 4:59 pm

@darris

I hate to jump to judgement, but I disagree with veganism as a solution to perceived issues like coronary heard disease. Particularly if your husband and son are both active individuals, whether though their jobs or of their own volition through exercise. If they are active like this, it can be difficult to get adequate protein on a vegan diet to sustain their musculature in a highly active lifestyle. I understand the desire to “live healthy,” but in my experience and from the research I’ve seen, veganism just doesn’t fit the bill for me. Ovo-lacto vegetarianism is preferrable in my mind, if a so-called “green” diet is desired, since it provides two ready sources of a “complete” protein, plus several other essential vitamins and minerals that can easily be missed on an incomplete vegan diet.

My general philosophy when justifying my carnivorous tendencies to my vegetarian/vegan friends is the philosophy I try to espouse in everything I do: ALL things in moderation. If you subsist on a pure meat-and-potatoes diet, of course you are going to have health problems crop up. By that same token, there is evidence that an all green-and-leafy diet is unhealthy, in different ways. I believe that American’s DO eat far more meat than we need to, but there is a distinct reason that human teeth are in an omnivorous layout; (that is, we have both molars and bicuspids for grinding and masticating foliage, as well as incisors and canines for cutting and tearing meat fibers) Humans were meant to consume both vegetables and meats, but in a healthy balance of all of it!

Just my two cents, and please understand that I do not mean to imply that you are in the wrong, I am merely trying to offer a different look on the vegan issue.

31 Sean February 4, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I would think that dinner and barbeque would be more a man’s dinner, I mean I was bbqing 3, 4 nights a week until it got too cold and steaks were taking three hours to cook. I think when there’s a grill it is more a man’s meal than when it’s on a stove, but I would cook breakfast outside if it made sense.

32 Eric February 4, 2010 at 6:24 pm

@Lee

You should read “The China Study” by T. Colin Campbell, it will change your life on how you look at food.

Your quote:
“By that same token, there is evidence that an all green-and-leafy diet is unhealthy, in different ways.”

The only way this makes sense is by only eating a literal “green-and-leafy diet”. If all you are eating is lettuce, cabbage and spinach, then yes, you will be hurting nutritionally. If you eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, there is essentially no nutrient that you will be lacking. One exception is B-12, but even that can be fixed by eating plants that have been grown in a proper nutrient rich soil.

If you have sources that show a plant based diet is “unhealthy”, I would love to see them. Seriously.

33 Rod February 4, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Dude, you are my freaking hero. Officially. First, it was the “shaving like your grandpa.” And now Cajun Breakfast Casserole?! You are like the awesome uncle that comes in once or twice a year bringing sweet toys and then asks your dad for money.

But you come into my inbox every day. And you bring awesome recipes. And it’s FREE!

Thanks for being a part of my life!

@John

“The absence of bacon from these recipes is quite disturbing”
Bacon on the side is assumed :)

-Rod

34 Phil February 4, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Thanks for posting this Brett. These great breakfast ideas are just the thing we men need to power ourselves through the long winter months. I’m gonna try ‘em all!

35 k2000k February 4, 2010 at 6:41 pm

For the time constrained sausage, real sausage not the weenie breakfast sausage, and eggs takes about 15 minutes. Sear the sausage on medium high both sides, turn the heat down to medium or medium low, pour some water into the pan and let sit for 10-15 minutes. I usually run down and take my shower during that time, the sausages are about done when I finish. Check to see if the sausage needs a little more time. If not remove turn up the heat wait a minute, spray some cooking oil on the pan and free me up some eggs. I’ll also pour some oatmeal into a bowl and microwave it. Quick, easy, tasty, and protein heavy breakfast.

36 Walter February 4, 2010 at 7:09 pm

I just found a great easy way to have a hearty breakfast omelette. You can even set it up the night before.
Scramble 2 eggs and put them in a quart-sized ziploc bag with whatever other ingredients you want (cheese, ham, bacon, peppers, onions, sausage… whatever). Mix it all up and stick it in the fridge.
In the morning, set a pot of water up to boil. It should be boiling by the time you get out of the shower.
Shake and then put the ziploc bag in the boiling water for 13-15 minutes (enough time to shave and get dressed).
Cut the bag open, roll out onto a plate, and you have an instant omelette!

37 Rod February 4, 2010 at 7:32 pm

@Devan

That video links to another one on how to make gravy!!! Thanks for the share!

-Rod

38 kultron February 4, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Am I in the minority in thinking that none of these breakfasts look appetizing save for the pancakes? These foods all look way too greasy and fatty, not something I’d like in the morning. I like to keep my breakfasts simple yet filling, usually sticking to toast/bread, jam, medium boiled or poached eggs, cereal, tea, with the occasional crepe or ommelette, or whatever sort of variations I feel at the time.

39 Eric Granata February 4, 2010 at 9:47 pm

@Troy That’s the recipe I use! It’s pretty great.

40 Shae February 4, 2010 at 11:04 pm

You guys are awesome! I have to try some of these recipes :)

41 Brett McKay February 4, 2010 at 11:15 pm

@Albert-

Thanks for the biscuit recipe. It looks easy enough to not be intimidating.

@Troy-

Thanks for coming through with the IHOP pancake recipe. I’ll be giving it a whirl in the morning.

@Rod-

I’m glad I’m like your awesome uncle and not your weird uncle who smells like cheese and talks about his goiter. Thanks for the kind words.

@Kultron-

The apple-pecan oatmeal is neither fatty nor greasy. The only fat is a 1/4 of butter which in the context of the huge casserole is like nothing.

@Shae-
It was good to meet you tonight. I’ve been perusing your blog and it’s awesome!

@Eric-

You should read “Good Calories, Bad Calories,” by Gary Taubes. It will really really change your life on how your think about food.

42 David Dovey February 4, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Southern style gravy may in fact be the most ugly food in existence. I’m sure it’s very tasty, though.

43 Jim February 5, 2010 at 6:59 am

For you weekday warriors without much time in the morning, I suggest what I do. Almost every night, I put on a pot of steel cut oats (healthy and delicious). Boil the water, add the oats, and let it boil for about a minute. Watch the heat at this stage, because it will boil over if you’re not careful. After about a minute, remove the pot from heat and cover it. Let it sit out overnight. Takes about 5-10 minutes to heat up in the morning.
Add some honey to it and get a spoonful of peanut butter and stir it in.

44 John February 5, 2010 at 11:52 am

I’ve made some version of everything in the article except the Baked Oatmeal. Looks like that what’s on the menu for tomorrow morning! The nice thing about all these recipes is how well/easy they feed a crowd. Cheers thanks for sharing.

45 Jonathan February 5, 2010 at 2:29 pm

This is so great! thanks for posting this, breakfast is definately my favorite meal, i am looking forward to whipping up some of these new recipes.

46 Justin February 5, 2010 at 7:25 pm

hmmm that breakfast burrito sounds heavenly, when spring comes around and the pastured chickens get around to laying more eggs I’m going to have to give that one a try. Though I really do like my regular breakfast standby of soaked oatmeal. The key to it is to soak some steel cut oatmeal overnight with a dollop of active culture yogurt ” the cultures in the yogurt help break down natural chemicals in the oatmeal called Phytates that impede your body from absorbing all the nutrients and protein from the oats”. Come next morning all you have to do is put the oatmeal in a pot along with some dried fruit ” I really like a combo of raisins and black currents” put a little water or whole fat milk in to just about cover the oats and simmer for 10-15 min stirring every once in a while. After the oatmeal is done and the fruit is nice and plump pop it in a bowl and sprinkle on a dash of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, a bit of butter or cream and a splash of blackstrap molasses ” its high in iron and vitamin A so its good for ya”. If its going to be a long day I often add some more yogurt to the mix for the added protein and extra bit of fat and slice a banana into it for the potassium. It turns out to be a protein and vitamin packed breakfast that will stick to your stomach and make any ol’ cowboy proud when you serve it up

47 Dan February 5, 2010 at 9:59 pm

I read “The Circadian Prescription” that, among other things, recommends eating most of your protein in the morning for slow burn energy that lasts throughout the day, and most of your carbs at night, when its quick burn energy lasts longer, while your body is in regenerating mode. I decided to test it out.
I used to always do breakfast cereal, bagels, juice, toast, etc. Now I swapped that out for eggs, bacon, ham, pepperjack or colbyjack on toast, bagel or in a tortilla. Sour cream, salsa: optional. Takes only 5 minutes to fry an egg.
PROTIP: Buy your bacon in bulk (3 pounds should last you a month), fry it all up at once which may take an hour or two, then slice and store in the fridge. Homemade bacon bits at your convenience!

48 Eric February 6, 2010 at 2:28 am

@Brett

Believe what you want, but what he suggests is not likely sustainable long term for disease prevention. I’m no expert on diet by any means, but I try to read as much as I can on the topic. As far as I can tell, what he suggests has too much animal protein. Obviously, refined carbs are bad; I’m sure you’ll lose some weight if you cut out everything refined and processed from your diet. But beyond that, I wouldn’t count on anything.

49 WDG February 6, 2010 at 2:07 pm

@David Dovey
Clearly you’ve never heard of Balut.

50 Sam February 6, 2010 at 5:04 pm

If you’re like me, you like oatmeal so much you eat it nearly every day. If you’re tired of the same old ashioned oat meal, I HIGHLY recommend steel-cut oats. It has a different texture…kinda gritty, but if you can get use to it it’s a lot more satisfying/filling than typical oatmeal. Making it is also much more of a manly process: it requires about 40 minutes in a pot with lots of stirring involved. You can find them at Wal-mart in a metal can.

Also, I eat whole wheat pancakes a lot and I recommend trying peanut butter as a topping. After trying it I rarely eat them without it!

51 Curtis February 7, 2010 at 2:27 am

Sam I agree. I love peanut butter on my pancakes! Once I tried it I haven’t ever looked back!

52 Safety Razor February 7, 2010 at 3:56 am

You can’t go past porridge with blueberries and maple syrup.

53 matthew February 7, 2010 at 9:52 am

@Kulton: If your lifestyle is more sedentary, this could be a problem, but have you ever wondered how farmers ate thousands of calories, humongous portions of primarily high-fat foods and still lived long for their time in history? It’s not what you eat, really. It’s what you do with what you eat. If you have a construction job you need that energy and high-fat and complex protein (starch/grain) are really just very efficient methods of getting energy. If you have a desk job get a treadmill or take a run to do the same thing. And then enjoy a truly hearty breakfast.

But about pancakes:
I grew up making the pancake recipe from our old better homes and gardens cook book so often that page is now so stained and decrepit it can hardly be read.

However, when I moved out on my own I found it more convenient to buy a mix for the pancakes. I’ve never liked “buttermilk” pancakes for their texture, they’re gummy and tend to stick to my mouth rather than my ribs.

So I found Kodiak Cakes mix (http://www.kodiakcakes.com/). I’ve only seen it at Safeway brand grocery stores (Dominicks, Albertsons (I think), Safeway, etc). And it’s a bit pricier than Krusteaz or other more common mixes. But the mix requires only water to make, and has several different whole grain flours that give it an excellent texture that doesn’t cling to your mouth and a delicious flavor.

Once my kids are old enough to start eating (inhaling?) pancakes the way I did, I’ll probably switch back to a recipe as they tend to be cheaper over the long run, and much more fun to make.

54 Justin February 7, 2010 at 3:01 pm

@ eric

here’s some information I dug up about a veggie diet.
I of course take everything i read with a grain of salt and try to read as much as possible about the subject also, but I do believe that a diet that includes enough protein and animal fat is the key to a healthy lifestyle. There have been studies that show that even a modest amount of animal fats and meat significantly increase the human bodies ability to absorb the vitamins and minerals that are locked away inside the plants and grains we eat. I can try and find the studies for those for you as well if you want.

55 Eric February 7, 2010 at 7:32 pm

@Justin

I’m not sure what to think of the link you provided. At first there seemed to some good information, but then I came across this:

“The longest living man in the West was Old Par, an English peasant who labored in the fields until his death at 152 years. His diet consisted almost entirely of raw goat milk products-milk, cheese and whey.”

I can’t verify any part of this. The best I could find was a Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Tom_Parr

That’s one heck of a bombshell to include in their “research”. What other unverifiable sources are they using? Also, it’s somewhat hard to see past their pro-dairy and pro-meat stance. The doctor that wrote “The China Study” undoubtably has a pro-vegan/vegetarian stance, but his personal story adds greatly to his motives, in my opinion.

This is what is so unfortunate about the health and diet information. Everyone (I mean everyone) claims to have a “study” that provides “evidence” to back up their “results”. Even so-called experts in the nutrition field can’t seem to make sense of other studies that aren’t their own; so how is Average-Joe suppose to make sense of it?

With that being said, of what I have read so far, “The China Study” by T. Collin Campbell seems to be the most convincing. He recommends a whole foods, plant based diet, with a maximum of 10% of your diet being animal protein. It doesn’t eliminate animal products; just greatly reduces them. We all know fruits and veggies are healthy, so he just recommends the obvious; eat more of them.
I’m not sure why people get bent out of shape by his book? To me it just makes sense. He doesn’t complicate things by breaking down specific nutrients. He talks about how diets are very complicated and to think that *one* aspect (fat, cholesterol, a certain vitamin, carbs, etc.) is responsible for any disease, over-simplifies why diseases happen. When our bodies digest food it’s a hugely complicated process; to look at a single element out of thousands (or more) and say that’s the problem, you better have very conclusive evidence, which no one seems to have.

Anyways…if you haven’t read the book, you should.

56 Tyler Logan February 8, 2010 at 11:07 am

Nice dishes. Must say those biscuits and gravy look manly, and delicious.

57 Dakota February 8, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I absolutely love breakfast and hardly ever miss it. I usually alternate between a classic English breakfast, or at least bacon and eggs, and other days I have a more “healthy” choice (I cook my bacon and eggs in a lot of fat haha) of wheat cereal and a banana. But there’s no doubt breakfast is my favorite meal!

58 Deborah February 9, 2010 at 10:04 am

Consider the elegant first cousin to the pancake: The WAFFLE. Now think about the value of a waffle iron.. A waffle iron will TELL YOU when it is hot enough to bake the waffle, and then it will TELL YOU when it is done. It makes a mess when the batter pours out the side, but if you set it on a sheet of newspaper, then it’s easy to clean up. I fix waffles for my husband EVERY weekend (sometimes Saturday AND Sunday), and my son fixes waffles for his family every weekend too. I won’t say that is makes for a better marriage, but little things add up. And Waffles=lovelovelove.

59 Loren C. Klein February 9, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Apart from the oatmeal and perhaps the pancakes, I’m getting sick just looking at them. Way too greasy and rich for me and my oh-so-sensitive stomach for breakfast.

60 Skysail Jack February 10, 2010 at 8:24 am

Captivating, but i think it would kill me to eat such a breakfast, to much fat, to heavy. Nevertheless i love breakfast. Usually i have fried tofu whit 3 eggs muesli whit fresh fruits, fullkorntoast whit butter, OJ and tea or coffee. To be honest sometimes i have tea for breakfast and (strong) koffee along whit some cookies additionally while i read the morning papers.

61 JC Walker February 12, 2010 at 12:13 am

Biscuits and gravy are served with sausage. The phrase “sausage gravy” is generally used because you use the leavings after the sausage is cooked, not the sausage itself.

62 Cutter February 12, 2010 at 11:01 am

Lately when I scramble eggs, I’ve been reserving the yolk of the last egg I crack (the white goes into the skillet with the rest of the eggs). Then, just as I take the skillet off the heat, I stir in the last yolk before I plate the eggs. The residual heat partially cooks the yolk as it coats the eggs, and it gives them a richer flavor.

As for bacon, if you don’t have a bacon grease strainer/container on your kitchen counter, get one! If you’re making gravy without sausage, bacon grease is the best fat to use in making the roux.

63 Chris Kavanaugh February 12, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Let me get this straight. In my state-California,and part applies to the entire country as well; I cannot watch a tobacco or alcohol ad on the teevee. In many communities a smoker cannot even light up outdoors without threat of a citation. The food police are moving on what restuarants can sell that is deemed unhealthy.Mere mention of firearms brings heated debate and honour students have been expelled for plastic knives to spread peanut butter at lunchtime.
AHHH! But wait! We are moving to legalise marijuana for the huge tax revenues and overwhelmed prison populations. I turn on the TEEVEE and giggling couples are making innuendos about their enhanced sex life because some untested herbal mix increases bloodflow to a cerain anatomical member while teen pregnancies and STDs are on the rise. And finally, instead of manly cars with stick shifts, rack and pinion steering that actually require a modicum of skill and give immediate, unforgiving feedback when you don’t have been replaced with more plastic than Anna Nicole, gadgets and a whomblike interior as the throttle sticks at 100 MPH.
EXCUSE ME, but I will choose my own ‘unhealthy’ lifestyle choices, including biscuits and pig gravy. I do eat the parsleysprig, which people seem to have forgotten the use of.

64 Sanford February 13, 2010 at 8:38 am

Breakfast is one of those things that every man should be able to do, every man should be able to make eggs at least 2 ways (scambeld and fried) make bacon or sausage, all the while making a pile of toast in between the other things, if you can’t do this please learn, for the sake of every women you may ever meet

65 Chris Kavanaugh February 13, 2010 at 11:33 pm

I am by avocation and academic training a archaeologist. That’s a cultural anthropologist only the people he(she) studies are dead. A physical anthropologist is a biologist specialising in us instead of meauring pelvic girdles of female gophers or something.
What we know, is that our ancestor’s brain size began to dramatically increase and become more complex with the introduction of proteins, aka meats. We literally supersized ourselves. Of course people have also gathered roots,fruits,vegetables, seafood,insects,minerals,herbs and 2 for 1 coupons in various percentiles since the get go. Some have utilised pure meat diets like the Inuit while others go vegetarian as in India. The reasons can be simple environment, not to many bananna trees in Point Barrow or religious. One man’s sacred cow is another man’s Double Wammy Burger. People have promoted countless diets claiming superior health and longevity. You find a people in the former USSR who eat yogurt and live to be 100+ on average and everybody will start gulping gallons of the stuff. But nobody looks at environment, adaptive metabolisms or genetic factors. DIet is as much a cultural choice as anything else and to push one on another is ethnocentric and the hieght of hubris. What people shove in their mouth is a lot less imporant than what they shove in their mind,heart and dare I say, soul.

66 G. Alphonse Menard February 14, 2010 at 9:54 pm

I love stick to your ribs food like this! Thanks for the breakfast taco lasagna. I’ll be making that soon.

67 Technobabe February 17, 2010 at 8:22 pm

These are really great recipes!! I’m happy I found your blog. Buckwheat pancakes are my personal favorite. I printed out the Apple-Pecan Baked Oatmeal recipe. Hubby and I eat oatmeal nearly every day. NEVER would have thought to bake it. Great ideas. I appreciate all the advice.

68 Biscuit Man February 17, 2010 at 9:42 pm

On the biscuits and gravy, go for ~4 heaping tablespoons of flour.

69 Dan Wardrop March 8, 2010 at 11:23 pm

Altitude corrections for Apple-Pecan baked oatmeal: (for 9,300 ft, tailor accordingly)
Add 1/4 cup flour
420 degrees for 35 min covered, 15-20 uncovered
I realize very few people live this high, but it was a good day for me figuring it out.
Enjoy!!!

70 DasHewz June 29, 2010 at 9:54 pm

For those with time constraints in the morning, you can still whip up a hearty meal on the go in less than two minutes.

First, go to walmart. Purchase a microwavable egg cooker that makes eggs exactly, and i mean exactly, like McDonald’s muffin eggs. I have an iron ring to use for the same purpose when I’m not in a hurry.

Anyway, two eggs takes 1 minute. One egg about 40 seconds. Prior to hitting start on the microwave, pop either 2 or 4 pieces of bread in the toaster. Also snag 1 or 2 slices of cheese and either chipped or sliced ham, salami, or microwavable bacon if you’re so inclined. In about 2 minutes, everything will be ready. Combine and enjoy.

For added kick, douse the sammich with a little Frank’s Red Hot.

71 seth January 23, 2013 at 12:58 pm

for the biscuits n gravy. it tastes 100% better with bacon instead of the sausage.

72 seth January 23, 2013 at 1:01 pm

for the biscuits n gravy. cook the bacon in a skillet. when they are done take all of the bacon out. pour your milk and flour in there and that will be your gravy. wait for it to turn brown. and cook your biscuits with bisquick.

73 mike March 2, 2013 at 8:58 am

the key note hear is “MANLY” it sounds like some of you should not be clicking on articles with the word “MANLY” in them. now eat your breakfast run a comb thru your beard pull your boots on after you knock the mud off of them and go to work. (vegan? my god!)

74 cast November 1, 2013 at 11:46 pm

Enchiladas montadas (mounted enchiladas) several lightly fried corn tortillas with red chile sauce and shredded cheese between every tortilla, sprinkle diced onion on top. Then mount one or more fried eggs on top with another splash of red chile sauce. Add some beans an strong black coffee, my friend youve got a manly desayuno (breakfast)