Art of Manliness Podcast Episode #4: Man Stories with Dan Kern

by Brett on October 12, 2009 · 17 comments

in Podcast

10149924

Welcome back to another edition of the Art of Manliness podcast. In this week’s episode we return to our series “Man Stories” where we interview a different man every other week and ask him what manliness means to him. This week our guest is Dan Kern. Dan hails from Winnipeg, Canada and he works as a voice actor. Thanks Dan for taking part in the interview!

Listen to the Podcast!

Other ways to listen to the Art of Manliness Podcast:
Listen to this episode on a separate page

1 Nate October 12, 2009 at 9:15 pm

Am I missing something or did you forget to actually post the podcast?

2 steve October 12, 2009 at 9:15 pm

I’m not seeing the audio player to listen to the podcast

3 Brett McKay October 12, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Sorry, gents. Everything is updated.

4 Teejay October 13, 2009 at 2:59 am

I believe Dan Kern was speaking about former president Jimmy Carter of the Habit for humanity.

5 Katherine Taylor October 13, 2009 at 6:25 am

I think that having kids is a step to being a real man, now Dan’s decision not to have any is his choice but he is missing a lot of things. Fatherhood is the ultimate symbol of manliness. :)

6 Mike October 13, 2009 at 1:05 pm

What happened to podcast #3??? I follow your site every day and now the podcasts. I really enjoyed #3 especially since I’m a runner and avid outdoorsman but #3 seems to be missing from my library and I can’t find it on iTunes.

Thanks Brett!

7 Dan Kern October 15, 2009 at 3:09 pm

This is what I love most about web 2.0, it’s truly interactive.

I wanted to respond to Katherine’s comment and say that I totally agree. My decision early not to be a dad did not come lightly. I believe firmly that grown-ups without children of their own have a heightened obligation to ‘give back’ to society in ways that are default if you’re raising children. Those who do give the world future teachers and artists and doctors and airline pilots, carpenters and the list goes on. Those who do not give the gift of children should then give in other ways, like mentoring and working in areas that are difficult for parents to work in, like research for instance.

I’m not a big fan of DINKS (Dual Income No Kids) who live shallow, narcissistic lives and contribute nothing to society by their own consumption. They may help the economy, but they don’t help society.

Like many men, I am flawed. And working through my flaws, I feel, helps me step closer what what being a man is all about.

@TeeJay – you are correct, sir.

-Dan

8 Jayson October 17, 2009 at 2:08 am

I’ve listened to the first 3 podcasts and enjoyed them. I expected a bit more. Dan Kern seems like a nice gentlemen, but no different than any other guy.

There was no real insight that I couldn’t get from my neighbor. Case in point: the most difficult thing this guy has done was “firing someone.” There are men out there that have fought in World Wars…that have raised kids with drug addictions… that have built great international companies…. etc. etc.

But you guys chose a man, when asked who his role models were, answered first: Brad Pitt and George Clooney….. uhhhh…. not Martin Luther King…. Winston Churchill….etc?

No slight on you Mr. Kern, you seem like a nice man. I just expected a bit more than this.

9 Brett McKay October 17, 2009 at 10:40 am

Without intending to, you’ve pretty well summarized the point of Man Stories! It’s not about interviewing great heroes or famous men (although they’re not barred either). It’s about hearing and collecting the stories of your neighbors, regular guys, and finding out what manliness means to them. It’s great that you don’t agree with Dan’s role models-again, that the point of the series, to show the diversity of male perspectives.

10 Reid Miller October 22, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Katherine, in my personal experience, being a good father to someone else’s children is the true mark of manhood.

11 Aaron October 28, 2009 at 8:57 am

@ Dan

You mentioned George Clooney as a good example of a gentleman. Are you aware of his behavior in regard to Charlton Heston and response when asked if he should apologize? http://www.thebostonchannel.com/entertainment/1931445/detail.html

I don’t know about you, but I pretty much lost all of my respect for the man upon reading that.

12 Dan Kern November 2, 2009 at 9:15 pm

@ Aaron – - NO! I had missed that. And I fully agree with you. That remark from Clooney was not only classless, but against a lot of what he stands for. I’m dissapointed to say the least. Thanks for sharing it.

It’s sad how many of our role models let us down. And not just our public figures either, those from all walks of life. Personally, I feel I can still respect Clooney for the bulk of what he’s done and continues to do that’s good, but then incidents like this on give me pause.

Is it a question then of balancing what someone does on a scale – more good than bad = role model?

I don’t know. But it is sad when bad behaviour can cause total loss of respect. Good lesson.

As an aside, I also felt Michael Moore picked on Heston unnecessarily, too, in one of his films, and I for one would like to see that kind of behaviour stop.

@ Reid – that’s a really nice thought, sir.

13 Aaron November 11, 2009 at 10:52 am

@Dan

I didn’t know about that either until Mr. Heston died and a friend mentioned it.

Re: scales – I don’t know, that’s a tough question. I guess the way I look at it is not whether someone does more good than bad, but how much they try to do the right thing. Of course, one has to remember that a role model is subjective. I believe a person typically chooses one based on who he would like to be – good or evil.

For me, even though it was just a cartoon, G.I. Joe was always the perfect role model – they never cursed, drank, or smoked, were chivalrous, courageous, etc.

As for Michael Moore, I haven’t seen any of his films, so I couldn’t comment on how he treated Heston.