Last year I had a fella by the name of Clint Emerson on the podcast. He’s a retired Navy SEAL and he came on the show to talk about his first book, 100 Deadly Skills: The SEAL Operative’s Guide to Eluding Pursuers, Evading Capture, and Surviving Any Dangerous Situation. It was one of my favorite episodes from last year and a favorite of listeners as well.
Well, Clint’s back with another book filled with deadly skills. This time around it’s 100 Deadly Skills Survival Edition: The SEAL Operative’s Guide to Surviving in the Wild and Being Prepared for Any Disaster. In it, he, along with AoM’s illustrator Ted Slampyak, show readers how to survive in any environment they might find themselves in, from the desert to the mountains to the sea. The book also covers how to manage disasters at home.
In this action-focused show, Clint and I talk about the mindset you need to handle any deadly scenario, as well as specific tips for surviving a variety of threats and emergencies.
- Why Clint’s first book filled with deadly skills was such a huge hit
- Why most survival books are out of date
- Why complacency kills
- The mindset you need to develop to survive any situation
- Why state-sponsored cyberattacks make us more vulnerable than ever
- How to make situational awareness a habit
- Why you have to constantly practice the skills of survival and not just read about them
- What to have in a “tactical nightstand”
- Why bear spray is better than mace when it comes to self-defense
- Why a flashlight is one the most importance pieces in your EDC
- How to use a flashlight tactically
- Two types of home invaders
- Why home invasions have been on the rise lately
- Why you should case your own home to find security flaws
- How to fortify your home from home invasions
- The things that cause a burglar to skip a house
- How to combat clear your home (and if you even should)
- What to do in a carjacking
- The difference between cover and concealment
- What to do in an active shooter situation
- How to escape a sinking car
- And much more!
Resources/Studies/People Mentioned in Podcast
- My first podcast with Clint about 100 Deadly Skills
- Ted Slampyak, illustrator
- Break the Smartphone Habit
- Cyberattack in October
- My podcast with Ryan Holiday on Ego is the Enemy
- The Gray Man
- How to Develop the Situational Awareness of Jason Bourne
- 10 Tests, Exercises, and Games to Heighten Your Senses and Increase Your Situational Awareness
- How to Treat Your Family Like a VIP
- The OODA Loop
- Best Guns for Home Defense
- 6 Insane Zombie-Slaying Baseball Bat Modifications
- Zero Trace Flashlight
- A Primer on Flashlights
- How to Use a Flashlight in a Tactical Situation
- Burglar-Proof Your Home: A Complete Guide to Home Security
- What to Do in an Active Shooter Situation
- How to Escape a Sinking Car
100 Deadly Skills: Survival Edition is a fantastic follow-up to Clint’s first book. While you’ll likely never have to use any of the skills highlighted in the book, it’s nice to know that you’d have some idea of what to do in any situation. And once again, Ted did a bang-up job with the illustrations. If you’re a fan of his work, you’ll want to pick up a copy!
Listen to the Podcast! (And don’t forget to leave us a review!)
Mack Weldon. Get great looking underwear and undershirts that eliminate odor. Use discount code “AOM” for 20% off your first purchase from Mack Weldon.
Harry’s. Upgrade your shave with Harry’s. Get a FREE Starter Kit that includes a razor, five-blade cartridge, and shaving gel when signing up for a shave plan. Get a post shave balm added in for free by using code MANLINESS at checkout.
And thanks to Creative Audio Lab in Tulsa, OK for editing our podcast!
Read the Transcript