Original AoM Comic #2: Theodore Roosevelt — I’ll Make My Body!

by Brett & Kate McKay on July 23, 2013 · 28 Comments

in Visual Guides

Theodore Roosevelt 2

This is our second original comic depicting a true life episode in manliness from a famous man in history.

Be sure to check out Original AoM Comic #1: Frederick Douglass: How a Slave Was Made a Man

1 D-Rock July 23, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Awesome inspiration from the best president in history! Thank you!

2 Jimi July 23, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Where can I get a print of this!?

3 Greg July 23, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I have a saying, “Don’t live for convenience.” Teddy Roosevelt is an excellent role model in this regard, as masterfully captured in this comic.

4 Michael the Dumb Tech Geek July 23, 2013 at 3:46 pm

In a word: awesome. I’m just about to finish a biography about Teddy. There were even more health-nutty facts about him, like how he led others to be better. When he was police commissioner, he increased the physical and marksmanship requirements for officers. When he was President, he increased the same for the military. They thought he was nuts, but he went out there and MET THE NEW STANDARDS HIMSELF, showing that they were completely reasonable standards.

5 Ian July 23, 2013 at 4:25 pm

A print of this would certainly be epic!

6 2pint July 23, 2013 at 4:43 pm

“The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood…” What a motivational man! Great comic.

7 Tod July 23, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Don’t forget about the time he took a bullet to the chest in an assasination attempt, and proceeded to finish his speech before seeking medical attention.

8 Joey E July 23, 2013 at 5:04 pm

… and I read this after struggling with a 1.5 mile run.

9 Charles J Miller July 23, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Recommended reading: Mornings on Horseback by David McCullough. Readable and engaging biography of TR up to his Presidency.

10 L. David Fluty July 23, 2013 at 6:39 pm

This is the reason why this man is my idol. Mr. Don’t Call Me Teddy, Theodore Roosevelt!

11 Dan Martin July 23, 2013 at 8:02 pm

If this were a print or poster I’d buy it immediately.

12 Brock July 23, 2013 at 9:39 pm

The real-life parable of Theodore Roosevelt is a great exemplar for all. I was born with a hole in my heart, and have been told my entire life by doctors what I can’t do. TR was the epitome of what meant to live with vigor and zeal in spite of barriers. His story is an inspiration to me every day. If there were ever manlier a man, I’ve never heard of him.

13 Steve July 23, 2013 at 9:50 pm

Great comic! TR is a big inspiration, to put it mildly…keep up the excellent work!

14 Andrew July 23, 2013 at 10:30 pm

TR didn’t take no for answer or listened to the doctors advice. He’s an inspiration to me and many other men.

15 Pat S. July 23, 2013 at 10:54 pm

T.R. an amazing individual who I decided to learn more about after a Mt. Rushmore visit. Little known story: As President he once was paid a visit by a younger French Military Attache. Prior to the meeting TR demanded they box, the attache broke TR’s nose so they had their meeting afterwards with TR bleeding from the nose.

16 Tim Robertson July 24, 2013 at 12:31 am

The comics and graphics are one of the coolest things about this site. More, please!

17 Chris July 24, 2013 at 9:28 am

I too would like a print of this to hang in my kids’ rooms.

18 Rick July 24, 2013 at 10:59 am

I love not only the life application, but Ted’s excellent artwork as well! Thanks, keep ‘em coming.

19 Raymond July 24, 2013 at 12:56 pm

The most Badass president of all time!

20 Matthew July 24, 2013 at 3:11 pm

This is awesome Brett.

I am totally buying this when it becomes a book! Keep up the great work.

-Matt

21 Michael July 24, 2013 at 4:16 pm

This is great! I always enjoy reading and seeing things about TR. You should make many of these comics and compile them in to a book.

22 Colin J July 24, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I wish I could have met the man. Seems like you’d never forget being face to face with a hero like that.

23 Ash July 25, 2013 at 10:29 am

Art of Manliness has made me love Theodore Roosevelt. Coolest president by far!

24 David July 25, 2013 at 10:34 am

Teddy gives me hope for our political system — maybe someday another politician (perhaps even a president) like him will emerge and help wake-up the country. We need another man like Teddy to inspire all of us to greatness once again!

25 Ross July 25, 2013 at 5:15 pm

as a Canadian, I can only wish we had a Prime Minister like this in our history.

26 Dave Tindell July 26, 2013 at 8:46 am

“Let us speak courteously, deal fairly and keep ourselves armed and ready.”
Just one more reason why TR was one of our greatest presidents. Man, how we could use someone like him today.

27 Alain July 29, 2013 at 1:48 am

This is a very moving inspirational comic. I’m in a time of transition right now and this helps give me some hope.

TR is the man we all should strive to be.

28 Dan Greegor August 20, 2013 at 3:47 pm

These are great. I trust more are coming. Perhaps even a comic book full of great inspirations such as these.