Welcome back to another edition of the Art of Manliness Podcast!
In today’s podcast we talk to Forrest Pritchard, farmer at Smith Meadows Farm in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. He’s recently published a book entitled Gaining Ground: A Story of Farmers’ Markets, Local Food, and Saving the Family Farm. An enjoyable read — made me want to cash out and start a farm. Forrest and I discuss his story of how he saved a farm that’s been in his family for eight generations using sustainable farming practices. Even if you have zero interest in becoming a farmer, this is a great podcast to listen to — one of my favorites.
Highlights from the show:
- How Forrest decided to become a farmer
- His early obstacles as a farmer
- The differences between typical farming and sustainable farming
- How sustainable farming made his hog pen smell like maple syrup
- The turning point in his farming career
- His daily routine
- Lessons regular guys can take from farming
- How you can get started with farming
- And much more!
We’re also on Stitcher!
Gaining Ground Book Giveaway
If you’d like to get your hands on a copy of Forrest’s book, Gaining Ground, we’re giving away a signed copy to one lucky AoM podcast listener. To enter, simply leave a comment below your thoughts on the podcast.
Deadline to enter is Friday, June 14, 2013 at 5PM CDT. We’ll then draw a random comment to select the winner.