AoM Month of Sandwiches Day #3: Bratwurst Sandwich

by Brett on April 3, 2013 · 25 comments

in Cooking, Food & Drink, Travel & Leisure

finished

Welcome to Day #3 of the AoM sandwich project. Last month we asked readers for their best sandwich recommendations. Out of 483 submissions, we picked 20 to highlight here on the site each weekday during the month of April. At the end, we’ll publish all the entries into an epic man-sandwich cookbook. Enjoy.

Today’s Sandwich: The Bratwurst Sandwich by Dylan Huff

Any sandwich that features bratwurst as the main ingredient will definitely pique my interest. Dylan’s German Delight seemed to have the potential to be both simple and delicious. Let’s see if it delivered.

The Ingredients

ingredients

• Pumpernickel bread
  • Bratwurst sausage
  • German mustard
  • Sauerkraut

Step 1: Slice the Brats

sliced

Slice the sausage in half length-wise.

Step 2: Fry the Brats

frying

Fry the sausage on both sides.

Step 3: Spread German Mustard

mustard

Add your German mustard to one slice of pumpernickel.

Step 4: Stack the Brats

stackedsausage

Stack your fried sausage on your bread.

Step 5: Pile on the Sauerkraut

kraut

Pile on the sauerkraut.

Step 6: Top With Bread

finished

That looks amazing.

Step 7: Eat!

eating

Taster’s Thoughts

Oh, man. This is an amazing sandwich. It’s like eating an Oktoberfest platter from the palm of your hand. I was admittedly a bit dubious about the fried bratwursts; I’ve only eaten them grilled. But they were awesome! I could have used some bigger slices of bread; all the fillings kept falling out. Will definitely be adding this sandwich to my regular lineup. Thanks Dylan!

1 W. Boeree April 3, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I actually made one of these a while back and it is fantastic. I eat a lot of German food and this is one of my favorites. Shame I forgot to submit the curry-wurst sandwich, that’s also delicious!

2 WarthogRebellion April 3, 2013 at 6:01 pm

I heartily recommend home-fermented sauerkraut. Vinegar-based commercial pasteurized stuff is ok, but homemade is a major improvement.

3 Fred C April 3, 2013 at 6:19 pm

This was the best brat sandwich I’ve ever made or eaten anywhere! Only thing I did different was to grill the brats. Fantastic.

4 Cody April 3, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Easily one of the best sandwiches known to mankind.

5 N. White April 3, 2013 at 7:46 pm

This is going down tonight. That looks delicious

6 Andrew V April 3, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I just drooled all over my keyboard looking at that thing.

7 M. R. Dawson April 3, 2013 at 8:21 pm

This is a brilliant idea. I’m making this sandwich tomorrow.

8 Phil April 3, 2013 at 11:47 pm

W. Boeree, curry wurst is the mark of a true Berliner (not of the jelly doughnut variety)!

9 Pete April 4, 2013 at 4:36 am

Good lord that looks incredible

10 CanadianDad April 4, 2013 at 6:44 am

I’m loving these sandwich ideas. They all look freakin’ amazing!!!
How about throwing one in that doesn’t have meat? I know it’s not very manly (according to society’s stereotypes), but I hope at lease *one* in this series is meat-less.

11 Dax April 4, 2013 at 8:43 am

Great sandwich, but made even better if you make your own sauerkraut. Once you try home fermented kraut, you will never go back! If you’re feeling really ambitious, homemade sausage is also a big step up!

12 Imber April 4, 2013 at 10:20 am

You are mixing up some German regional specialties there (Pumpernickel is Westphalian to the core, Bratwurst is ubiquitous nowadays, but used to be more of a central German think, think Thuringia or Hesse). It’s a bit like Minnesota meets Philly, I suppose. But then again: Nice stuff. You’d probably get the real deal simply in a white bun over here, but this has potential. For a real Westphalian humdinger, try mixing up some kale, onions, Kohlwurst and Stippgruetze. Don’t know if it could fit between two slices of pumpernickel, but that would keep you going for a day’s worth of Munsterland outdoors hard labour…

13 Greg April 4, 2013 at 11:15 am

Bratwurst literally means “fried sausage”. Sure, they’re great to grill outside in the summer, but here in Wisconsin, we fry them up year-round!

14 Joe April 4, 2013 at 11:46 am

Looks like a good idea. But not so sure about those brats …

15 Rothmatic April 4, 2013 at 12:55 pm

That´s one of the best articles / series on your website until now!
And there are a lot of good ones….

I tried #2 and #3 yesterday and today and both taste great!

@Canadian Dad: I did both with veggie products and the recipes are working fine!

16 Max Power April 4, 2013 at 5:19 pm

This is going to sound like sacrilege, but strangely enough sprouts are an excellent compliment to bratwurst in a sandwich, especially when it’s flavors compete with a strong mustard.

17 Chris White April 6, 2013 at 8:55 am

Actually tried this one. The taste was really good. However, it definitely needs thicker slices of bread to hold everything together. Thanks for the recipe!

18 Joseph April 7, 2013 at 3:48 am

Tried this tonight with provolone cheese, very good sandwich!

19 Robert April 8, 2013 at 7:29 am

Bratwurst is an all-time classic. Too bad most Germans tend to foreign cuisine (apart from Bratwurst) and seem to forgot the German cuisine.

To all of you: Try that with extra cheese on top of the sausage. Due to its heat the cheese should soften a bit. (I recommend Edam cheese or Cheshire cheese. The later gets soft more easily and tastes hilarious)

20 Paul April 9, 2013 at 9:19 pm

I love bratwurst as long as it’s not the pre-cooked variety. I recommend fresh bratwurst. Ich liebe Bratwurst mit Sauerkraut!

21 Pat Rad April 11, 2013 at 7:45 pm

I make this same sammich with unsmoked polish. Love it.

22 RHeldmann April 12, 2013 at 8:04 am

I make a sandwich similar to this that I call the Brewers Sandwich. you only use one brat split and add a Boneless Top Loin Strip and some Munster cheese. First you let the Steak marinate overnight in you choice of Marinade. Cook the brat on a grill or skillet (I use a skillet with a bit of Shiner Bock some chopped onion and garlic affectionately call the brat tub). Then you lightly toast the Pumpernickel, add your mustard, the steak. Then top that with the kraut then add the Brat with a Kosher Dill Spear between the two halves, and top with the Munster.

23 Caleb S. April 13, 2013 at 12:26 am

I read this post, went to the grocery store, and immediately made one of these for myself. Freaking delicious. A couple of tips that I might recommend: 1) Drain the sauerkraut really well and toast the bread because it will make the bread really soggy otherwise, and 2) add some horseradish (if you’re a fan). One of the best sandwiches ever. This is one of my new “go to” meals. Best enjoyed with a delicious cold beer of your choosing.

24 Dylan Huff April 15, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Thanks for trying my sandwich Brett!!! I wasn’t thinking of it when I entered my comment, but it’s also good with Emmental or Swiss cheese. Thanks again!! And thanks to everyone else for liking it! :)

25 pepito April 18, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Note that the brats are pre-cooked. This would be difficult, or impossible with fresh bratwurst.