Manvotional: The Power of Purpose

by Brett & Kate McKay on September 22, 2012 · 56 comments

in Manvotionals

From Talks to Young Men, 1897
By Charles Henry Parkhurst

When calculating the prospects of a young man, and the likelihood of his being able to go through life without being taken off his feet, I always want to know whether he stands for anything in particular. A written sentence may be mere words or it may mean something. So a young man may be only a mixture of body and soul or he may mean something: that combination of body and soul may stand as the expression of an idea. He may be some truth incarnate, so that when you meet him you feel that you are encountering that truth, and when he talks to you have somehow the notion that truth is addressing you and arguing itself out with you. We none of us have to look far to find such men. There may be a certain stringency and aggressiveness about them sometimes that makes them uncomfortable, a kind of directness about them that makes them inevitable, but there is no mistaking their meaning. They are an idea become flesh—a doctrine, a theory, dressed in human apparel. The feature in the case of interest to us just now is that a man so conditioned is not likely to lose his way nor to founder. The point is not that he has mastered the idea, but that the idea has mastered him and in that way counteracts the influences operating to pull him in other ways…

There are a great many meaningless men in the community, and what that means is that, while they have the intelligence to understand an idea and the heart to feel it, yet the idea never gets so close to them as to have its reality tremendously experienced by them. We do not win our strength and stability by mastering ideas, but by being mastered by them—held in their grip. A man never really knows what there is in him, how much he can do, or how much he can withstand, till he gets fairly in under just such governance. I am convinced that there is nowhere nearly the amount of difference between people in point of personal caliber that is ordinarily supposed. It is not so much a difference in personal capacities and energies as it is a difference in the degree in which those energies become packed upon one another and reduced to solidity. Even on a cold day one can pick up a sunbeam and burn a hole through white oak with it if the lens with which the beam is focused is in good order. It is second only to the power of Pentecost to come so close to a truth or to a situation as to have that situation actually touch us and burn its way down into the sensitive nerve of our being. The trouble with people, nine out of ten of them, is that they stand on insulators and watch the play of the lightning through drawn shutters, and never stand out and let the electric storm play in their own bosoms. It is by an inward experience of the storm that men can be held fast in the midst of the storm. Nerve varies inversely as the square of the distance that there is between us and the reality we are handling.

Still more apparent does the working of this principle become when for the word “idea” I substitute the word “purpose.” Purpose at once suggests the notion that the person whom it actuates is in motion toward an end; and a person moving toward an end, like a rifle-ball toward a target, is less easily managed and directed than when he is standing still. Indeed, the more rapid its motion the more difficult it is to change its direction, and the less effect influences that happen to lie along its route will have upon it. Now, what momentum is in the rifleball purpose is in a man: it tends to hold him steadily to the track he is on; and the more vigorous the rush of intention with which he is following that track, the more it will take to retard him or derail him. Hence the more intense and engrossing a man’s purpose—if it is a purpose of good—the safer he is, and if he has no purpose of the kind he is not safe at all. Without it he is spoil for any and every diverting influence that may happen to light upon him, and of such diverting influences the air is all the time full…

Purpose, and to be thoroughly wedded to that purpose, is three quarters of salvation. It is sad to reflect how much motiveless insipidity there is among us that is steadily resolving itself into ethical rot, for no other reason than that it has never been awakened into vigor and electrified into effect by the touch of a supreme purpose.

1 Brent Hoelzer September 22, 2012 at 10:40 pm

wow

2 Tim September 22, 2012 at 10:53 pm

o_O

3 Aidan C September 22, 2012 at 11:14 pm

From personal experience, I find this true. Those without a purpose seem like husks, a hollow shell. Those with a purpose inspire others and draw them to their cause.

It’s a shame that fewer people have a purpose these days.

4 Jon September 22, 2012 at 11:30 pm

It’s incredible that scientific research has such a short shelf life but this kind of wisdom only becomes more and more relevant as time goes on.

5 Philip Rasmussen September 23, 2012 at 12:15 am

Thank you for waking me up, I will set my purpose today.

6 Sean M. September 23, 2012 at 12:31 am

I love the message but need a longer article elaborating and giving examples of how purpose-less people might go about acquiring one.

7 Dan September 23, 2012 at 12:50 am

How different this is than any self help book today. While everyone tries to sell their “secret,” their idea, that if we can understand will bring us happiness, truth is that we must change ourselves to conform to true principles. No one today tells us to change and it’s refreshing to hear it.

8 Kyle September 23, 2012 at 1:18 am

Maybe we all have a purpose to find our purpose ;)

9 ManicCynic September 23, 2012 at 1:40 am

Throughout the entirety of this post, I was thinking, “this is me”.
Just reading “while they have the intelligence to understand an idea and the heart to feel it, yet the idea never gets so close to them as to have its reality tremendously experienced by them”, which describes me perfectly, got me thinking, “Damn. I’ve been thinking this increasingly frequently over the last year or so (but not quite so eloquently), but I still remain unmotivated to change my situation.” Then I went, “Fwoah. Inception.” Then I went to play on the internet some more. Sad, but true.

10 Hemendra Kumar Saini September 23, 2012 at 4:04 am

The real problem with young man is his struggle to find himself and if he find himself, he will find the purpose.

11 KambizAmini September 23, 2012 at 5:19 am

“Nothing can resist the human will that will stake even its existence on its stated purpose.” – Benjamin Disraeli

12 Mohammad Aman September 23, 2012 at 6:48 am

Amazing. Thanks a lot. Much needed inspiration. Thanks again.

13 Adam September 23, 2012 at 7:49 am

Very Aristotelian.

14 Matt September 23, 2012 at 8:36 am

I agree that having a purpose will affect one’s life in so many ways; my only question is how to find this passion?

I wish I knew.

15 Native Son September 23, 2012 at 8:44 am

A powerful message, but a word of caution. ONe needs to spend a bit of time analyzing the idea or prupose before wholeheartedly embracing it. While a purpose is wonderful for directing one’s life, uncritical acceptance of some unexamined ideas as life purposes did lead to the 20th century facist, communist and nazi movements.

16 Chris September 23, 2012 at 8:58 am

I can find no truer example of this than the folks that waited weeks for the new iPhone 5.

I’m not knocking technology – I have an iPhone myself, but what does that say about the human race when getting the latest gadget is the ruling purpose for so many people?

I’m glad that this site exists and promotes such timeless values as faith, religion and family above material possessions. I feel like so many magazines/media messages out there are run by the companies that pay for the ads and it’s refreshing to see that there is still some genuine thought out there.

17 Macallan September 23, 2012 at 9:47 am

As a woman, I’d just like to say thank you for this site and for the sane, reasonable and much-needed information you provide. I hope it’s not subversive that I find every bit as much wisdom in these pages for myself as I expect a man would.

I am fortunate to have some very good examples of manliness in my life, even though there is not one man with whom I’m permanantly linked and even though, like a lot of men, I didn’t grow up with the best examples of manliness in my own family. But I truly appreciate the air of cooperation and stewardship this site presents as being manly, as opposed to the many less effective models out there. Thank you.

18 Derrick Fiedler September 23, 2012 at 10:25 am

I can also attest to the power of purpose in my life. Ideas were always a part of my adult life. I lived for ideas–but no one idea or purpose really grabbed hold of me. Until I read “Shop Class as Soulcraft”, as well as some other works of philosophy.

While I had, of course, read about the idea of philosophy as a way of life, it was only at this point that I made the idea concrete. My purpose is to make my life an experiment in APPLIED PHILOSOPHY; to put into practice those precepts which read so well on the page, and then keep or discard them based on their logic in my life, not on their abstract logic. The unifying concept/purpose that links together the various elements of philosophy and life in my experiment is TECHNE. I hope someday to write a book on the subject.

19 Diamonds are Forever September 23, 2012 at 10:46 am

Sometimes, even if people call you delusional or obsessed, you have to just keep believing in yourself and aim for your goals. (Native Son makes a very valid point regarding analyzing those ideas).
Learning how to articulate your goals is important too – for some people that can mean preparing a business plan, painting a picture, making a movie, writing a novel or a preparing a thesis. This article is a great encouragement. Thank you.

20 Dave B. September 23, 2012 at 11:02 am

Great article! My only side note would be the proper research on an idea to sell out to and to take stock of your main goal to make sure you stay on point. Like the rifle ball example, a shooter knows that a small obstacle or idea can affect the aim a great deal in the end. So we can start off with a great purpose and end up way off because we allowed a minor idea to throw us off.

21 sam September 23, 2012 at 11:26 am

My pastor once said that the key to finding your purpose is to think about those things that just get your blood boiling, your holy discontent. Maybe it’s child abuse, sex trafficking, or the failings of or political system. Kids without dads, malaria, homeless vets. Something that makes you feel compelled to do something about it. Then do it.

22 Mato Tope September 23, 2012 at 11:43 am

“The well-resolved mind is single and one-pointed, but the purposes of the irresolute mind are many-branched and endless.”
-Bhagavad-Gita

23 Sambhav Jain September 23, 2012 at 11:56 am

Great article indeed. I was particularly impressed with the description of the purposeful man, the one who has meaning written all over him and his personality. I must admit though, in our society we do see a growing number of purposeful beings, or they if they are not as much they can sure pretend to be. This is a problem in certain cases when you need to depend on such people, and then their failure to deliver leaves you stranded.

I consider myself to be on the ‘with purpose’ side and am sure as hell dependable (I have been following your website for a while now ;) ) but dear Brett, how shall one be more careful of these dupers in this unavoidably co-dependent world? Is it all about following instinct ?

24 Michael Kim September 23, 2012 at 12:29 pm

There are many things wrong with the world today so finding a cause or purpose to align yourself with is really in no short supply in my opinion.
The best way to test an idea and make it apart of you is to live it. Choose an idea that is very close to home.
In the past year, I have come to fully embrace the liberty movement as it has truly taught me universal principles to apply in my life such as the opposition of force.
On top of that, as a college student, I have also come to realize the complete scam that is the American higher education system and have become a strong advocate for alternative education among my peers. Thank you for this article!

25 Kris Stoff September 23, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I waited in line friday evening at the mall in Providence, Rhode Island for the new iPhone 5, because of the great demand for the iPhone they had created two lines that stretched at least 50ft. I waited patiently but I did notice something, about 90% of those waiting in line had their eyes glued to their existing iPhone. I laughed and thought, “How Pathetic” Yet I waited in line too, (only an hour and half, well worth it) As I stood in line I engaged in conversation with a young man from South America attending university. I asked an array of questions, from political to religious to modern day music. One thing I notice. My generation does not engage in REAL relationships! They do not ask questions, they do not care to engage in conversation with strangers. With every benefit to technology there comes more cons and dilemmas. They iPhone is suppose to bring us together! Yet it isolates us to unreal relationships. One of my purposes is to meet people and talk to them and encourage them, understand them and help them. “The joy of Life is bound up in Relationships”

26 Ted Larson September 23, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Fantastic stuff. One-hundred, fifteen years of wisdom.

27 Paul September 23, 2012 at 1:47 pm

This is just a bunch of empty words, metaphors, and analogies with no real “meat” to it. There’s no power to his words to compel me to feel anything, maybe because he was a pastor and I’m not a religious man.

28 BobsYourUncle September 23, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Beautiful essay. I was surprised that so many of the commenters say that they can’t find a purpose. I have the opposite problem- feel called to so many causes, can’t give any of them justice. But to them, I would ask, what do you love? And how is that being threatened? Is anyone doing anything about it? Join them. If that doesn’t work, try to start reading a good news service (like BBC) about what is going on in this world, particularly among the developing countries- or even the poor in your country. You will likely be shocked at what people are facing- and may want to help improve things. Good luck.

29 BobsYourUncle September 23, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Beautiful essay. I was surprised that so many of the commenters say that they can’t find a purpose. I have the opposite problem- feel called to too many causes, can’t give them justice. But to them, I would ask, what do you love? And how is that being threatened? Is anyone doing anything about it? Join them. If that doesn’t work, try to start reading a good news service (like BBC) about what is going on in this world, particularly among the developing countries- or even the poor in your country. You will likely be shocked at what people are facing- and may be called to help improve things. Good luck friends

30 Si Ekin September 23, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I think the finding of purpose can be found in fear. Step boldly then towards the fear and see the purpose reveal itself me thinks.

31 David H September 23, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I disagree with this – we have a word for the concept that a man is only complete if he gives himself over to an idea. We call this fanaticism.

When you deliberately choose NOT to question, to explore, to doubt, aren’t you just abdicating all of your choices to the pursuit of this one idea? Having unshakeable principles of honesty, integrity, and the like is crucial, because without these a man has no rudder. But devoting your entire life – your one and only life – to “staying the course,” simply for the sake of being constant, sounds like doing something just because that’s the way it’s always been done.

Having a goal, a target, gives direction to one’s life. Slavishly following that target without question, however, sounds – to me – more like a march toward death than an exploration of life.

32 Justin Cawood September 23, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I’m reading Dostoyevsky’s “The Possessed” which seems (Not finished yet) to be about how people become possessed of ideas. Interesting to read the advocation of such a dangerous idea. Men can be possessed by many things. Let’s hope it’s not tragic consquence.
It is the men who suffer who become possessed the most.

33 B.E. September 23, 2012 at 7:11 pm

What a wonderful article.

All my life I have tried to uphold and influence a strong sense of morality, tipping the balance forever in Good’s favour. That is my purpose. It makes me feel whole; it makes me feel like a man.

I’ve lost jobs and opportunities because I took the morally “good” decision and I didn’t give in to the bad. I was thought of as crazy for not sacrificing my dignity, morale, etc. for a great opportunity. But I must admit, I couldn’t be happier for making those decisions and I regret nothing.

As my life progresses, however, I’m finding that these decisions are becoming increasingly difficult to make. The lines between good and bad are blurring and I’m becoming rather jaded. Thankfully, the people I’ve inspired to make the “right” choices — namely close friends and colleagues — have in turn inspired me to continue devoting myself to my purpose, my doctrine.

As long as a man stays strong and true to his purpose, he will become it. Therefor, he shall never fail it.

34 marc September 24, 2012 at 2:56 am

Reminds me of “We’re All in Your Corner Tonight” by Nelson, Cash, Jennings and Kristofferson :
There is no map to chart
A voyage of the heart.
The love is a journey you make on your own.
And if you don’t take the chance,
The angels won’t dance,
With an old man of stone.

source: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/

35 Chris September 24, 2012 at 11:51 am

Purpose is just what I need right now! Thanks AOM!

36 Jeremy Smith September 24, 2012 at 12:45 pm

It’s amazing how many times I’ve seen people want and want and want and never bring those ideas to fruition. It’s because they don’t have a purpose. They have a dream; an idea; a want. But they don’t have the ability to turn those into actionable steps.
And action is really the only thing that separates a dream from a purpose. A dream will never be more than that without some kind of action. A purpose is unstoppable with action and only an idea without it. And it doesn’t even matter if you fail, because, if it’s a purpose, then every failure was just a chance to learn how to do it successfully next time.
So while some here comment about it being fanaticism or some other form of radical thought, it’s important to realize that it is. It’s also what separates the men from the boys. It’s consuming, but it’s consuming on your terms. And I can’t think of anything more fulfilling or rewarding than that.

37 Jonathan September 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I agree with Native Son’s remark — shop around for purposes to determine which is truly best, before you buy in. I believe God made man with purpose, and so a good idea/concept/cause/purpose will resonate with a man’s God-given nature.

38 Christopher Fitzgerald September 24, 2012 at 5:33 pm

This kind of thing flits around unpleasantly in my head. Maybe it would be helpful to define what a purpose is in this context? I’m -assuming- it’s referring to a person’s ultimate goal in life, that is to reach a state or point where they can say: Yeah, this is where I -should- be and I like it.

And, that in seeking purpose, you’re looking to reach that point, either through thought or active preparation. Personally, I just seem to be floundering, I’ve never had anything that just struck me as what I should be trying for. It’s probably telling that I don’t have a career, but rather a series of jobs, though granted I’m in my mid twenties at this point, not that that’s an excuse.

All this article does is make me uncomfortable, am I to feel bad for not having a cause or purpose? Am a I bad person if I never discover one?

Then again, I’m not looking for a eudaimonic life, just a comfortable one. I’m not lazy, I work hard in whatever I turn my hand to, I know that, but, I don’t consider it some great sin to not seek to attain the highest position I can in any given job.

It’d be different if it was a calling, I suppose, but, I guess I’m a little deaf. :/

39 Scott September 24, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Still searching for soul gripping purpose.

I’m always envious of those who just know since they were 5 to be a doctor, carpenter, programmer, teacher, etc…

I have lots of likes and experimented with many, but have yet to be so entranced by an idea to call it my purpose. That may be my generations greatest challenge.

40 Andrey September 24, 2012 at 11:39 pm

I am a senior in high school, I always thought that I knew what I wanted to do. Now here comes the year where I have to choose what I want to study in college… And now I am clueless, I have dreams, but I just can’t seem to make them reality. My brain keeps on thinking up all of these ideas: different languages to study, different sciences; and yet… As Jeremy Smith said, “no real purpose.” I guess it will come with time; better not waste it.
Now this is to my generation:
Please get off your phones; they is not your life, your life is outside! Time flies, you won’t believe how fast. Make the most of it.

41 John September 25, 2012 at 5:25 am

21 yr old male here. As I read the article and the comments following it, I get the impression that you people think that purpose = dreams that are meant to be followed in actionable steps. This suggests to me, a person without a dream is a person without a purpose and walks around as a hollow shell for all of their life.
I want to call crap on that. Life is what you make it out to be. I can see the argument that less people have “purpose”, just look at the world. Music is now auto tune with techno beats on permanent repeat being remixed differently by other artists, it’s no longer a great achievement to become a doctor or lawyer, teachers are still getting crapped on, there is not as much respect or care for the men and women who give their life to the military, etc, etc. Chasing a dream or “purpose” to seek recognition / approval to other people is a complete waste of what you could of been doing.
After all, you are born nobody, work to become somebody, rise higher and higher, and hit the ground.

Though as a side note, people do need to get off their phones and stop being caught up in superficial crap. The dollar should never be held over another life.

42 Mike B. September 25, 2012 at 3:02 pm

“The point is not that he has mastered the idea, but that the idea has mastered him and in that way counteracts the influences operating to pull him in other ways…”

Mr. Parkhurst says that this Master (idea) should become your purpose (note the religious undertones given his mention of Pentecost). Furthermore, he reifies ‘idea’ and ‘purpose’ into an object that one must be enslaved by – it becomes part of your identity, the thing that grips you, that drives you forward.

Mr. Parkhurst’s speech, while no doubt inspirational, is in my opinion a bit naive. I think we should master ideas and cultivate a flexible intellect that critically (and fairly) examines claims, beliefs, assumptions, etc. To allow one’s self to be mastered by an idea that’s not critically examined could be dangerous depending on the idea. Now surely one might reply that Mr. Parkhurst has only “good ideas” in mind. But who’s good ideas? Everything he mentions in his speech adequately describes those who flew planes into buildings on September 11th.

43 Imp of Fame September 25, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I offer this with all good will and in the spirit of friendship. I think really only young men have the luxury to worry about things like finding a grand “purpose” for their lives, and have the time and inexperience to be idealistic enough to try. I was no different. But now that I’m old(ish) I prefer the attitude of Socrates. He proclaimed himself to be the wisest man in Athens because he was the only man who would admit that he really didn’t know anything. I would offer this, though – try to do what is right and don’t put too fine a point on it. Do your duty. Fulfill your responsibilities to your wife and children – and God if you’re a believer. Try to remember that it isn’t about you. And be careful with ideas; while making a particular idea the animating principle of your life may make you into something resembling Jesus or the Buddha, the wrong idea can take you just as far in the opposite direction. Personally I find ideologues boring and hard to talk to. And there’s always a whiff of the ridiculous about anyone who takes themselves too seriously.

We talk a lot about grandfathers on here. I think about my grandfather’s life – a butcher, a volunteer fireman, small businessman, husband, father. I think about him pinned down below Monte Cassino in WWII. He did his duty. He held the line. He didn’t complain. Simple stuff (not to be confused with easy stuff). I believe this is what a good man looks like.

44 Rex September 25, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Hi,
I’m a big believer in success in life by setting your goals and in turn your purpose and never giving up. If you spend your time being afraid and never trying anything you will be that rudderless person this essay is describing. In our modern culture of ‘do what feels good’, many spend their lives without that purpose. If you find your afraid of the lightning, harness it and make it yours.

45 Zach Q September 26, 2012 at 2:02 am

Wow, Imp of Fame may have just changed my life. Well said, well said.

46 Ivan September 28, 2012 at 12:46 am

for all you gents looking to find your purpose you should check out “Man’s Search for Meaning” by Holocaust survivor Victor Frankl. It had a profound effect on me.

47 Define It September 30, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Gentlemen,

I note that there is a lot of commentary on the “how” to find that purpose, that “hidden” meaning, that drive to guide one in life. I spent a lot of time “soul-searching” for this myself, until it dawned on me one day – out of the blue – that there IS NO such a hidden meaning to one’s life – all one has to do is simply DEFINE, consciously, what one’s purpose shall be, and follow that to the letter. You do not “find” yourself, you DEFINE yourself.

48 Jason October 1, 2012 at 6:13 am

I think many of the commentors here have misinterpreted the article. I don’t believe Mr. Parkhurst was trying to imply that you find a purpose in anything you are trying to acheive. I think it’s the other way around. I believe he meant that you should stand for something – have beliefs that are not easily swayed. If fact he says so in the first sentence:
“I always want to know whether he stands for anything in particular”. And this certainly is something that we should all strive for. We should not allow our values to be manipulated by media, poltiicians, schemers and theives. Stand strong in your beliefs and only amend them when your personal experience commands you to do so. He even mentions that people who hold strong to their beliefs are often difficult to be around – “There may be a certain stringency and aggressiveness about them sometimes that makes them uncomfortable, a kind of directness about them that makes them inevitable, but there is no mistaking their meaning.” One of the big problems of the world is that people who have an average or high level of morality can often swayed from their beliefs (by television or the common mistake of believing everything presented as truth by an authorative figure), making them often apathetic or disinterested in others suffering. What the author is saying is don’t let this happen. Don’t be hollow. Be solid like an Oak tree. Have purpose in your soul, then any endevour you undertake with your hands (which will come from a natural extension of that purpose) will be done with purpose as well, and little, if anything will move you.

49 Taylor October 3, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Thank you for writing this; it’s a magnificent essay. Your imagery puts the power of purpose into perspective. Articles like these keep me coming back for more.

50 Nick Ward October 3, 2012 at 10:05 pm

You just got bookmarked. Very well written.

51 Pat October 13, 2012 at 9:28 am

I think part of the reason it seems that my generation (I am 22) finds it more difficult to find purpose than say, our grandfathers, is the overwhelming options that are presented to us, whether that be career-wise, relationship-wise, product/consumer-wise. We no longer inherit the trade of the father (ie. farmer, carpenter, butcher) that in past generations would be handed down to the son. He may spend his whole childhood and teenage years being groomed for this profession, which inevitably instills a direct purpose for the son. Sure, perhaps the son who inherits a farm would make a great astronaut in another life, but nonetheless, the life of a farmer is what he was born into and he accepts it as his purpose.

The same can be said for relationships. We no longer live in a rural-based, small-town world where you romantic ‘options’ were limited to Jane and Karen down the street. I take the subway to work during the week in Toronto, and I began to realize that the amount of incredibly good-looking women on the TTC is probably not good for my wandering eye. It broadens the potential pool so much, that it makes the man unwilling to dive in for any water at all.

What this boils down to: while it is still easily possible to gain meaningful purpose in our life, I think it is harder for us to be as accepting and happy with our ‘choice’ of purpose. With the superfluity of purposes to be had, even if we find a purpose that should, theoretically, maximize our purposeness in life, we will always be able to compare it to the good points of thousands of other purposes we could have chosen and thus, always have some level of regret with our choice.

It is ironic how our culture based on choice and personal happiness actually destroys both: we seize up and become unable to choose anything, and become unhappy as a result of any choices we have to make.

I don’t think that this should discourage young men like me, however, rather it should inspire us as we a) diagnose the problem and b) be satisfied with the choice we make, and avoid regret. However, this is a whole other topic that I won’t even bother to begin talking about here.

I gained a lot of this insight through both my own personal experience and a phenomenal book- “The Paradox of Choice”. Look it up on Amazon. It is worth the 12 bucks.

52 Julius October 14, 2012 at 10:34 pm

WOW! Just, WOW! Fantastic article, very well written and meaningful. Like another commenter mentioned, I wish the article would’ve covered how those without purpose go about finding one. @Pat, you’re speaking the truth, with so many choices before us today we hesitate, we flinch about possible making a wrong choice now when a better opportunity could be waiting in the wings. A paradox…

53 Richard November 6, 2012 at 2:57 am

This strikes real close to home for me, especially since it’s something I’ve been experiencing. When you are mastered by an idea, or purpose as the writer puts it, being deterred is next to impossible

54 M.A.E.Son December 12, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Wow! I’m just amazed that there are others like myself who values purpose in life as much as I do. There aren’t a lot of people from where I am that show they stand for something. I’ve always yearned for someone that I can truly respect, and that I would have privilege of being his friend, even went as far as to actually dream of both of us going up against a tyrant, and being honored as the nation’s heroes who freed the masses from the clutches of the abuser. HAHAHAH!!! Every know and then, I have my fair share of “HELLacious” probs, but there was never a time that I didn’t think my approach through and how it would mesh with the principles I hold so dearly. Still, I have committed many regrettable mistakes. But in the end, I believe it was the volition that counts even though it never yielded rewards like exaltation. I am glad to have read this article!!! =)

55 Tina September 1, 2013 at 7:40 pm

Great article. Happened upon it while searching for purpose. There is absolutely a lot of power behind being on purpose. But I don’t think there is a SINGLE purpose through one’s life. Yes many are driven singularly by a purpose for a given period in their life. However, I find when I live my daily life with a purpose – there is tremendous power in what I do. It does not always turn out “positively” – but I have come across many opportunities, synchronicities and divine “help” when I was just going about my daily activities with a strong purpose (of doing good and giving my best effort)

56 Manz November 23, 2013 at 8:39 pm

I just read this to my infant son and intend to print it out and hang it n his nursery. Amazing.