Photo Essay: The Straight Razor Shave

by Brett on March 26, 2012 · 103 comments

in Dress & Grooming, Shaving

Here on AoM we’ve talked a lot about the glory of getting a straight razor shave at a barber shop. It’s the man equivalent of getting a facial at a spa. It’s a super relaxing ritual that involves a lot of hot towels and plenty of manly smelling shaving cream and face lotions to soften up the old beard. Plus, there’s nothing like letting another man hold a razor sharp piece of metal to your neck to remind you that you’re alive.

If you haven’t ever had a straight razor shave from the barber, you’re missing out. To help inspire those of you who have been sitting on the fence about taking part in this manly tradition, I wanted to show you exactly what the straight razor shave experience is like at the barber shop.

I brought my photographer friend (and soon to be professional brewer), Matt Anthony along with me to my go-to barber shop here in Tulsa, Clay’s Barber Shop. The proprietor and tonsorial artist is Mark Clay. Below is Matt’s collection of photos capturing the magic of a straight razor shave from a barber. Enjoy.

Before the Shave

Mark's antique gas powered towel warmer.

Mark told me, "I can go right to the straight razor on that long beard of yours, and it will be an uncomfortable shave, or I can trim it down a bit with the clippers for a much more comfortable one. Which do you want?" I went the comfortable route.

Lathering up.

Another hot towel for good measure. Clay pressed about 10 of them on my face during the shave.

Drying off my ugly mug. I'm feeling super groovy right now.

Feeling like a million bucks. If you live in Tulsa, or are ever in the area, make sure to stop by Clay’s Barbershop for a shave and haircut. Tell Mark the Art of Manliness sent you.

1 Simon March 26, 2012 at 10:37 pm

That is one godly ‘stache.

I am jealous.

2 Michael Morris March 26, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I need to find a “real” barbershop. I’ve gone to two different places to have a straight razor shave. Neither one was a full straight razor shave.

3 Kevin Dooley March 26, 2012 at 10:50 pm

This is the reason I only shave when I have time for a full old-fashioned shave. I use an old Gillette safety razor from the 1960′s and not only is it a closer shave, but the ritual is about as relaxing as it can get.

4 Jeremy Baker - The Hometown Barber March 26, 2012 at 10:51 pm

The only thing bad about being the only barbershop in town that gives a straight razor shave is that I have no place to go when I want one! I shave myself daily with the straight edge, but it’s not the same.

5 Shaun March 26, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Brett, I’m not usually one for leaving comments, but that was one helluva nice photo essay.

6 KDBlew March 26, 2012 at 10:54 pm

No other experience can make a man feel so simultaneously exhilarated , relaxed and terrified! I try to get a straight razor shave once per year on my birthday. The ultimate confirmation of life well lived!

7 Andrew March 26, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I live in tulsa and I have been looking for a barbershop like this. I’m going to have to make a visit. These are amazing pictures of a very interesting experience.

8 Ted March 26, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Doesn’t look BBS in the last pic. May have to do with the lighting?

9 Kris March 26, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Stunning! What kind of camera was this shot with?

10 Matt Anthony March 26, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Kris, it was shot with a Canon 5D Mark II.

11 Lee in Florida March 26, 2012 at 11:46 pm

A wire whisk? Odd tool for a barber, but he must have his reasons. Anyway, color me jealous.

12 Robert Chandler March 26, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Thank you for that essay. I greatly enjoyed looking at it; I was fortunate enough to find a REAL barber shop over the weekend, and hope to find out that he can do an old-fashioned straight-razor shave.

13 Brent Pittman March 27, 2012 at 1:01 am

I’m inspired to try after these crazy good photos.

14 Brad Alexander March 27, 2012 at 1:20 am

I love the gas powered antique towel warmer.

15 Ted Slampyak March 27, 2012 at 2:32 am

Great visual storytelling, Brett! I need to find a barber here that does straight razor shaves. Looks like you had a great time with it.

16 Swagger March 27, 2012 at 3:30 am

I shave myself everyday with a straight razor, did it that way every day since my granddad showed me how when I was 12. I guess I’m not metropolitan enough to let another man fondle my face. But I do have to say it was a well done article, thank you for that submission.

17 Rahul March 27, 2012 at 3:36 am

Really nice post. Shops like these are very much a part of the local culture in different places. Unfortunately, these places are getting homogenized all over the world today.

One of the things we have in India is the head massage that we usually get done after a haircut/shave etc. Do try it if any of you happen to be down in this part of the world. It’s quite an experience and very relaxing. Here’s a video I found which shows some snippets of the head massage :

18 Stephen Wood March 27, 2012 at 4:07 am

Nice photojay. I especially like the sepa-tinge added to the photos which gives it a nice antique look. And for those of you who are thinking about giving yourself a straight-razor shave: DON’T DO IT! This really does require somebody else to stretch out your skin and hold the razor at a correct angle.

19 BRZ March 27, 2012 at 6:35 am

Looks good Brett!
Did I catch a Ghostbusters 2 reference in there?

20 maurice March 27, 2012 at 7:24 am

It looks like you’ve got some razor burn on the left side of your neck.

21 Aaron March 27, 2012 at 8:13 am

Now Tulsa doesn’t sound so far away from OKC.

22 jesse laramee March 27, 2012 at 8:22 am

Not only do you get a better shave and or haircut, but you feel more comfortable in those shops, at least I do. When i find myself in a Chain i am worried about my end result the whole time. I found a small old timer shop like this one several miles from my house, and as soon as i saw the four old men reading the news paper and a bunch of really old vintage supplies and decorations, I knew i was Safe!!

23 ESZ March 27, 2012 at 8:39 am

A Request on the Great Photography: Can we get any info from Matt Anthony as to what aperature, exposure, and effects he used to get the retro/rugged/slightly monochrome feel of this whole adventure on film (on disk)? That would be sweet! Thanks.

24 Brandon March 27, 2012 at 8:48 am

Beautiful photography! I’ve only experienced the straight razor shave at a barbershop once. It seems all the barbers in my area have stopped offering them due to the liability of unintentionally spreading a blood-borne diseases…..whatever….it’s a shame because is it a wonderful experience.

Between that experience and this website I’ve been straight razor shaving myself for about 6 months now. Your barber shop is a much nicer environment than my laundry room where I shave standing between my hot water tank and my washing machine!

25 Brandon March 27, 2012 at 8:52 am

“And for those of you who are thinking about giving yourself a straight-razor shave: DON’T DO IT! This really does require somebody else to stretch out your skin and hold the razor at a correct angle.” – Stephen Wood

I must disagree. Straight razor shaving is a skill that takes practice but it is perfectly achievable. Like I said above I’ve been doing it for about 6 months now and I’m getting better each and every time. Sure the first few were pretty awful (ie: razor burn) but take is slow and pay attention and you’ll figure it out.

26 Anders March 27, 2012 at 8:52 am

You look like Bella’s dad in Twilight in that last shot, heh.

27 David Couvillon March 27, 2012 at 8:54 am

Is that Mark Clay’s military awards on the wall? Please pass on my admiration, respect, and thanks for his service to our country!

Col. David Couvillon, USMCR (ret’d)

28 Christian March 27, 2012 at 9:12 am

Just wanted to say I follow your blog. Its very enjoyable and your contributions are very much appreciated. A bit of humor . . . a bit of fact . . . You have AoM.

29 Antares March 27, 2012 at 9:28 am

I remember going to the barbershop with my Dad when I was a little girl in Shreveport, LA. If you got a shave in those days, it was always with a shiny straight razor. I was fascinated. The smells of all the products were wonderful. I was theonly child and I was adopted by my Dad, so needless to say, I thought he could walk on water. The colors of the liquids in the glass bottles.. that wonderful chair that could move in so many ways.. great memories.. I am now 75 years old, but I can still remember it.. Love your web site… THANKS ..Antares

30 Eric Granata March 27, 2012 at 9:28 am

That chair is amazing!

31 Rocky R March 27, 2012 at 10:31 am

Love the photo essay idea! keep those coming! Sitting at work and feel like I just got a fresh shave… helps me make it through another day on the grind! Love the stash!

32 Brandon Weldy March 27, 2012 at 10:44 am

I will have to let my patchy facial hair grow in sometime and give this a try. In the meantime I should start looking for a place in this rural missouri area that does it. That should give me the couple weeks necessary for my beard to actually grow some…

33 Chops Barbershop March 27, 2012 at 10:53 am

I do straight razor shaves almost daily in my shop and I assure you it is NOT dying. As a matter of fact, it’s seen a resurgence in the past few years so make sure you guys keep visiting your local barber for shaves!

Nice photos and NICE STACHE!

34 Walter March 27, 2012 at 11:11 am

The manliness factor dropped several points in my book because you didn’t wear socks or real shoes. You hippie. Shame on ya. :)

35 Steven Maters March 27, 2012 at 11:27 am

What an awesome tache. I am really jealous.
BTW who is the super handsome model used in the chair for the photos. He is so Manly! LOL
This is definitely one set of photos for the photo book to give to Gus when he is older!

36 that jon jackson March 27, 2012 at 11:30 am

i feel like such a douche for going to church literally next door to this shop and never stepping into it.

This ALMOST makes me want to go let him shave my beard off.

37 cgils March 27, 2012 at 11:33 am

Shave and a haircut…200 bits ($50). Just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

38 bMac March 27, 2012 at 12:11 pm

On my birthday I treated myself to a shave and a haircut at The Terminal Barbershop, Toronto’s oldest barbershop, so named because it is right downtown beside the bus terminal (and the Eaton Centre) (www.terminalbarbershop.com). It was my first experience of a barber’s shave… and it was wonderful! Lots of hot towels, fine oils, a smooth shave, and buckets of Clubman Pinaud Classic after shave.

39 John L. Connor March 27, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I straight razor shave myself almost daily. It is an amazing shave, second only to the professional shave I treated myself to on “Movember” 1st at The Art of Shaving store in Tampa, Florida.

40 Tyler March 27, 2012 at 1:57 pm

As many have stated, there are no real words to describe getting a straight razor shave at a barbershop. I found a gentleman that performs a straight razor shave and got a shave about every other month from him. I enjoy the experience so much that I drive over 300 miles to go back home for a shave. It actually makes the trip worth it.

41 Greg March 27, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Nice post. I went to my barber for my first straight razor shave about three months ago. Similar, awesome, manly experience like yours. When I’ve got the scratch to do it again, you can bet I will.

For what it’s worth, I doubt that’s razor burn on his left side – probably still red from the hot towels.

42 Eddie In INDY March 27, 2012 at 2:39 pm

WOW…Great idea with the Photo Essay. LOVED it. Great visual document. I encourage more of these type of essays

Eddie in INDY

43 David C March 27, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Man, you like Casey Afleck from Oceans 12.

44 Tyler Haas March 27, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Nice! I love that place. I’ve gotten myself a good trim or two during military inspection season from there.

45 Robert March 27, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Nice shave!
I want to find a good barbershop, but I can’t find any near me. Could you guys help me please?

46 Evan March 27, 2012 at 6:39 pm

I’ll be moving to tulsa for welding school in august. Now i already have a barber shop picked out!

47 Matt Anthony March 27, 2012 at 8:06 pm

ESZ had asked, “…what aperature, exposure, and effects he used to get the retro/rugged/slightly monochrome feel of this whole adventure on film?”

I was shooting fully manual and all over the place. Inside my ISO stayed around 640. I bounced between f/2.8, f/3.5 and f/5 depending on the shot. Shutter ran between 1/60 and 1/200. For the toning and editing of the photos I used Adobe Lightroom, manually adjusting levels to get the look for this shoot. Thanks for asking!

48 Keith March 27, 2012 at 9:45 pm

The HENRY sticker on the barber’s mirror was a nice touch.

49 Ren March 28, 2012 at 3:07 am

And then you have to do it again the next day.

50 Dax March 28, 2012 at 4:07 am

Been years since I had one of those….Ahhhh…The memories….Great post!

Thanks for the memories Brett…

By the By…Good lookin’ bit ‘o’ whisker you got there…If you ever want to grow it out…http://beards.org/

51 Chris March 28, 2012 at 6:35 am

Inspires the desire for a “Road Trip” just to check that shop out.

52 Mark Collins March 28, 2012 at 8:45 am

Fabulous lip brush! Are you folks familiar with the American Mustache Institute? It’s a natural combination.

53 CleanShavenMan March 28, 2012 at 9:08 am

Looks like a serious babershop!
Now, if Clay was wearing black slacks with his otherwise perfect shirt…

54 Robert Black March 28, 2012 at 9:39 am

Hello from South Korea! Great Photo Essay! I like it when you show your face on here Brett.

55 Gordon Beagley March 28, 2012 at 10:09 am

I just got my first straight razor shave in Las Vegas. It is everything Brett makes it out to be. And then some.

56 Joe March 28, 2012 at 11:09 am

The walls in that place alone ooze manliness. Great article!

57 JakeEagle March 28, 2012 at 12:25 pm

That chair looks like an absolute masterpiece, if its an antique I could only imagine the value it holds.

58 Chase Christy March 28, 2012 at 1:02 pm

This site inspired me to learn to give myself a straight razor shave. In order to get a really close shave, I have to go over everything again with a disposable razor. With that combination, I get an incredibly awesome shave….way better than ever before.

I love people’s reaction when I tell them I use a straight razor. The men usually light up. The women say, “isn’t that dangerous?” I simply reply, “Yeah”.

It’s the little things in life, you know.

59 Jesse M March 28, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Agree with the benefits of the self straight razor shave. Nothing reminds you that you are alive like putting a sword to your throat and saying “I’ve got this.” I like the tradition of it, too. Good time for prayer and daily planning.

Also – its good for men to continue learning “skills” whether it’s a language, pipe smoking, straight razor shaving or grilling – never stop learning and pass the skill on once you are ready to teach it.

60 MattL March 28, 2012 at 4:00 pm

It’s not an easy thing to find any more. I used to get it done in Arlington, MA by an old Italian named Vinny. Good stuff. Good story!

61 The Other MattL March 28, 2012 at 4:31 pm

There’s nothing manly about shaving one’s face smooth as a woman’s or small boy’s.

62 jaklumen March 28, 2012 at 11:58 pm

I disagree, Mr. Other.

There is a time when we do in Rome when in Rome (or Egypt, as the references may be), and then there is a time for throwing back to the wild barbarian (literally, barbarian means “bearded one”).

I’ve fallen back to what many men have done for a few hundred years in recent times: full beard in the winter which gradually is shaven off towards the summer. The facial hair never comes fully off but usually I’ll close-crop the hair on my scalp by then. (I’m baby faced and usually laugh when my mother or some other woman declares me “scary looking”. Oh well. They know I am harmless enough.)

Right now I am looking into old-fashioned safety razors; mostly because of cost (but the other reasons seem appealing, too). I’ve had a straight razor shave but it was at a haircutter’s place, y’know, where it is still women cosmetologists appealing hard to men. I try to shut my eyes to their other abominable services like… waxing. Ugh. That is the real crime, women poking men to shave their bodies. (Athletes shaving? Well, different story, I guess.)

63 ESZ March 29, 2012 at 11:05 am

Matt Anthony: thanks!

64 Steve March 29, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Nice photo essay. Reminds me of my first barber shave at the Londres barber shop in Puerto Vallarta. Senor Juvenal gives an incredible shave and the shop has a drink girl. All the chairs have cup holders.

65 Jay March 29, 2012 at 5:20 pm

My barber does this upon request. I’ve been told by other shops the AOM would not support that there’s a risk of infection from the straight razor shave. Nick me, nick on you…it’s made me a little gun shy of sticking with the tradition.

I thought this might be just their justification for being less “manly.” Has anyone else heard of this risk?

66 Dan March 29, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Sweet, something to do on my drive down I-44 this weekend.

67 Bernie March 29, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I discovered Lakeside Barbershop here in OKC has hot towel straight-razor shaves. It’s off May and Hefner Road and they’ve been around since 1954. I believe shaves are half off on Thursdays as well.

68 Matt Moore March 30, 2012 at 12:23 am

I actually just got a shave and cut from Mark a week ago. It was my first time and it was great. I actually opened the door for you, unknowingly, Mr. McKay. It was my first time there and you were just leaving. The the lady barber, can’t recall her name, told me it was you after I explained that the reason I went there was because of reading your blog. Thanks!

69 Ramon March 31, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Nice photos, but you know how to do it your self , you will enjoy it more . Thanks for share !

70 Emmet March 31, 2012 at 9:29 pm

A long time follower of AoM, but not a frequent commenter, this photo essay totally captures a straight razor shave for me. I recently asked my barber for one, telling him my struggles with shaving on my super-sensitive skin. He walked me through the process, teaching me that I’ve basically been using the wrong products and incorrect techniques all my life. He trimmed first, then used a Gillette Sensor Excel disposable after that, followed by a straight razor. Hot towels and lather between each step. Seriously, one of the best experiences ever. We’re on a first-name basis now, too.

71 Jim Dillman April 2, 2012 at 4:43 am

I got my first straight-razor shave a couple of weeks ago at Red’s Classic Barber shop here in Indianapolis. It was great. I wish I could afford to do it regularly.

72 Robbie Bennett April 2, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I’ve had that very shave in that very chair from that very man, inspired by the original article here on the classic shave. I believe it was my freshmen year here at TU. Brett, we still need to meet up at ACAC sometime! I emailed you a while back but we never ended up getting anything together. Let’s change that!

73 Robbie Bennett April 2, 2012 at 12:57 pm

@David Couvillon…Thank you for your service! Those are his awards. One of the benefits of getting a shave from him is hearing his war stories. He survived a pretty traumatic parachuting disaster, in which I believe he was the only surviving member of his company.

74 Aaron April 2, 2012 at 2:23 pm

After using our washroom a guest pointed out that I have a nice antique Old Spice shaving soap cup and brush – so what a shame I’m using a modern razor. He’s right. I need to find a safety razor or straight razor.

Thanks for the article!

75 Brian Arredondo April 2, 2012 at 6:32 pm

AOM, thanks for this great site. It is nice to see a dedicated and active community talking about manilness type things. I wanted to reach out to the community and invite everyone to check out their own local baber shop! Look online and read reviews, I myself just started going to my
Las Vegas Baber Shop
FINO FOR MEN.. I was SO AMAZED with the straight razor/scissor cut experience I actually asked to help them with their online marketing and got the job. Really changes the way you look at how men can be pampered in a “manly” way..

76 Las Vegas Barber April 2, 2012 at 6:43 pm

Great advice, I recommend all men to follow this sites advice, GET A STRAIGHT RAZOR Haircut / Shave.. It really is the coolest thing since popcorn.

77 Tim April 3, 2012 at 10:00 pm

That Barber shop is bad to the bone! I could put a desk in the middle of that floor and make it my office! Mounted bears on the wall, military medal shadow box, the Henry repeating firearms sticker and NRA sticker on the mirror and did you see that antique towel warmer!!. That shop is AWESOME can’t get over it!

78 Rick April 3, 2012 at 10:40 pm

My youngest son was in Mark’s chair for his first real barber haircut when Mark asks me if I’ve ever heard of Art of Manliness. After telling him yes, and that in fact I found him through AoM he tells me that I just missed the founder getting a shave for his blog!

79 Aussie April 4, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I hate when guys can’t pull off mustaches but wear them anyway… You, however, are not one of those guys.

80 Phillip April 4, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Whatever happened to the do-it-yourself theme of being self relient. If you want a job done right, do it yourself.

81 Tommy April 4, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I just got my first straight razor shave at the barber shop yesterday. It was awesome, I will definitely go back for another in the near future.

82 John April 5, 2012 at 10:57 am

For years I wanted to get a straight razor shave and couldnt find a place to do it. By chance I ended up working in Saudi Arabia for a year, the locals do not consider shaving themselves but instead visit a barber weekly. By far the most enjoyable experience from that adventure. I highly recommend it. I also highly recommend buying your own razor with replaceable blades and having the barber use it, instead of a communal razor.

83 B.E. April 5, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Ahh I love straight razor shaving! I find it more beneficial to do this since I’m one of many of us with super-thick stubble. It just lasts longer and feels better (granted you don’t slice your cheek, of course!). I agree that you feel more alive when another man is sliding the razor sharp piece of metal down your neck.

84 Fabio April 5, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Hi! I have been reading your post about shaving, and I want to thank you for all of them. Actually I have had ever a little curiosity related with a classic shave, and now – above all after read that about “sharp our life” – I’m no only sure about going for one of them but also so interested in get my own stright razor for do it in my home.

85 Shane Jeff April 9, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Went on Good Friday for a shave and a haircut, and took an employee for a shave for the great work he has been doing. An absolute great experience, have found a place in OKC I am going to try out next, since I live in Tuttle. Will go back to Clay’s again. Mark does a great haircut if you are not needing a shave.

86 David Homoney (@okiepapist) April 11, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Fontana I see. Now I have yet another reason to get up to Tulsa during the week. I am there every Sunday for Mass, but now I have to find an excuse to get a shave.

87 Josh Knowles April 12, 2012 at 7:45 am

Great photos. Very well developed photo essay. I really like how you’ve included some wide shots where you can see what the shop looks like. And I love the desaturated colour.

I took up traditional safety razor shaving because of AoM. I haven’t tried the straight yet, but I certainly hope to someday.

88 Dewi April 15, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Had my first barber shop shave about 2 months ago, there’s actually plenty of shops that offer the straight razor shave here (south Wales), and having been recommended the experience by a friend i thought i’d try it, even though i usually keep some facial hair, because i look a lot younger than my age without it (which can be frustrating as a 22 year old). I was not let down, i felt extremely manly, and definitely manlier than i looked. It definitely wont be the last time.

89 Michael April 23, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Your barber is a Ranger qualified former Army Captain? That’s pretty damn manly.

90 Mark April 25, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I thought this was about “The Art of Manliness”!! That means learning to shave your OWN mug with a straight razor!! It’s not only great fun and very satisfying to learn, you get a great shave and don’t have to ever buy another razor blade or cartridge. There are a few good shaving websites where you can find out all you want about this manly art.

91 Ben September 20, 2012 at 4:31 am

Mark,

If you have a flick through some of the other pages on The Art of Manliness you’ll find enough resources on shaving yourself. But the manly man will, in anticipation of a social outing, or just to treat himself once in a while, find great satisfaction from a wonderful professional shave. The key is ‘professional’. That man loves what he does, does what he loves, and knows what he’s doing. And don’t tell me you shave yourself everyday in such a great chair, in such great surroundings, and give yourself 10 hot towels in the process. Kick back and let a retired army captain treat your ‘tash to a bit of trimming. Very manly indeed.

92 Michael November 3, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Where can you get a Straight razor shave like this in Oklahoma City?

93 manitasdeplomo November 21, 2012 at 5:14 am

Nice photos! But the shave doesn’t look very good in my opinion. The skin looks a bit irritated and it doesn’t look like a close shave at all.

94 Chris December 7, 2012 at 7:16 am

I use an electric shaver now only because I get really bad ingrowns if I don’t. I have tried the Mach 3′s and every other expensive multi-blade razor on the market but to no avail. I want a closer shave than what the electric can offer so I was wondering if a straight razor will be better for me or not….

Thoughts?

95 SteveD1911 December 15, 2012 at 3:55 am

Scrolling through the photos I quickly recognised the Ranger tab plaques he has on his wall. From one service member to another, will you please pass my thanks to Mark for his service next time you see him. If im passing through, I may have to stop in his shop for a shave. Rangers lead the way.

96 Byron December 19, 2012 at 2:14 am

Are there any places like this near San Diego?

97 James Abel January 2, 2013 at 2:45 pm

I had no idea a barber shop like this existed so close to where I live. It’ll be worth the 45 minute drive just to visit Clay’s. Probably driven by there a hundred times. Glad you posted this and loved the photos of the experience.

98 Aaron January 8, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I’ve had two professional shaves, one at Aidan Gill in New Orleans and one at The Art of Shaving in Denver. Aidan Gill was AMAZING and took over an hour. I was surprised they used a Mach 3 instead of a straight razor but they claimed that nothing beats it. I then had a straight razor shave in Denver and it was excruciating. My neck was shredded and it took me several days to heal. I shave at home with a safety razor and prefer it over any other method. I might have just had a bad shave but I’m scared to try a straight razor shave again.

99 Thodboddy February 4, 2013 at 2:53 pm

“It’s the man equivalent of getting a facial at a spa.”

No it’s not. The two are completely unrelated. A facial at a spa involves, among other processes, exfoliation – something most men do far too little of. This sort of shave be pleasant, effective, exhilarating, even soothing, however the analogy is faulty. A facial is a facial, hair removal is hair removal.

100 The Man February 28, 2013 at 2:48 pm

I just had my first shave in an old time barbershop not too long ago. I’m so glad i found it. Most relaxing and exciting thing you can do. I’m sort of suprised i found it in Fargo ND