Unsung Manly Movie Quotes for Every Occasion

by A Manly Guest Contributor on February 24, 2012 · 282 comments

in Movies, Travel & Leisure

Editor’s note: This is a guest post by Jon Finkel.

“I’ll be back.”

“You’ve got to ask yourself one question: ‘Do I feel lucky?’ Well, do ya, punk?”

“Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?”

These are just a few common manly movie lines that you won’t be seeing on this list. This isn’t to say that the above lines aren’t manly–they most certainly are–but they’re manly in a tough guy, show-offy kind of way. If the character never said those lines, and simply, in the case of The Terminator, came back, or in the case of Dirty Harry, took care of the bad guy without saying a word, the story would not have suffered. It might have been less cool, but the outcome of the event and the movie would have remained the same.

In honor of the upcoming Oscars, this list of manly movie quotes honors those lines and/or speeches that not only are pivotal to the outcome of the movie, but also have manly implications in the real world and offer ways to deal with children, adversaries, evil, and groupthink. In no particular order:

MOVIE: Miracle

QUOTE: Herb Brooks: Great moments are born from great opportunity. And that’s what you have here tonight, boys. That’s what you’ve earned here, tonight. One game. If we play’em 10 times, they might win 9. But not this game. Not tonight. Tonight we skate with them. Tonight we STAY with them… , and we SHUT THEM DOWN because we can! Tonight, we are the greatest hockey team in the world. You were born to be hockey players, Every one of ya. You were meant to be here tonight. This is your game. THEIR TIME IS DONE! IT’S OVER! I’m sick and tired of hearin’ about what a great hockey team the Soviets have. SCREW ‘EM! This is your time, now go out there and take it!

THE STAKES: At the height of the Cold War, the underdog USA Hockey team has an opportunity to take out the nearly unbeatable Russian squad in the Olympics.

THE RESULT: This speech sparked the fire that led Team USA to beat the hated Russians.

WHY IT’S MANLY: Could anything have been manlier in 1980 than defeating Communism in its national pastime on a world stage? It might be hyperbolic to say that Herb Brooks’ speech led to the win that led to the United States’ confidence that led us to believe we could win the Cold War, but then again, it might not be. The “nine times out of ten” line is the ultimate manly motivator for anyone facing long odds.

MOVIE: Planet of the Apes (original)

QUOTE: George Taylor: Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!

THE STAKES: In the upside down world of this movie, apes are the dominant species and humans are treated like slaves. That is, until Charlton Heston showed up.

THE RESULT: The apes were forced to acknowledge the potential intelligence of humans, and it turned their upside down world, well, upside down.

WHY IT’S MANLY: What could possibly be manlier than speaking out for all of mankind? This line established Taylor as a man to fear and made certain apes question everything they believed in. Sometimes, when you can’t take it anymore, you have to speak out and put it all on the line.

MOVIE: ROCKY BALBOA

QUOTE: Rocky Balboa: I’d hold you up to say to your mother, “this kid’s gonna be the best kid in the world. This kid’s gonna be somebody better than anybody I ever knew.” And you grew up good and wonderful. It was great just watching you, every day was like a privilege. Then the time come for you to be your own man and take on the world, and you did. But somewhere along the line, you changed. You stopped being you. You let people stick a finger in your face and tell you you’re no good. And when things got hard, you started looking for something to blame, like a big shadow. Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place and I don’t care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now if you know what you’re worth then go out and get what you’re worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain’t you! You’re better than that! I’m always gonna love you no matter what. No matter what happens. You’re my son and you’re my blood. You’re the best thing in my life. But until you start believing in yourself, ya ain’t gonna have a life. Don’t forget to visit your mother.

THE STAKES: After all Rocky has been through, he is watching his son grow up to be a finger-pointing coward. Rocky’s kid, like many in his generation, wants to blame everyone else for his lot in life instead of his own actions and choices. Rocky can’t watch his son go down that road.

THE RESULT: Rocky gets his son to believe in himself and to understand the value of taking responsibility and being your own person.

WHY IT’S MANLY: Nothing more manly than teaching your son how to be a man.

MOVIE: Crimson Tide

QUOTE: Capt. Ramsey: Mr. Hunter, we have rules that are not open to interpretation, personal intuition, gut feelings, hairs on the back of your neck, little devils or angels sitting on your shoulder. We’re all very well aware of what our orders are and what those orders mean. They come down from our Commander in Chief. They contain no ambiguity. Hunter: Captain… Capt. Ramsey: Mr. Hunter. I’ve made a decision. I’m Captain of this boat. NOW SHUT THE F*CK UP!

THE STAKES: An armed United States nuclear submarine may or may not have been given orders to launch its missiles and start World War III. Captain Ramsey, played by Gene Hackman, believes he has orders in hand, while his second in command, Hunter, played by Denzel Washington, does not. Hackman, like any man in charge, will not tolerate insubordination. While losing your cool is rarely manly, it is occasionally necessary to let people know who the boss is.

THE RESULT: Captain Ramsey forces Hunter into mutiny, which leads to a drawn out battle of wills over whether or not the sub has orders to launch. In the end, the order was not given and WWIII was avoided, but Ramsey’s bulldog leadership style makes the Navy rethink their nuclear launch strategy.

WHY IT’S MANLY: With the fate of the world hanging in the balance, Captain Ramsey will not accept any dissent in the ranks. While many of us have dealt with difficult colleagues, Ramsey doesn’t have to worry about being politically correct on a nuclear sub. He says what many of us would like to in our own version of this event, only he does it to defend the orders he has to effectively end the world as we know it. Having the courage to believe in convictions on that level is nothing short of manly.

MOVIE: Gladiator

QUOTE: Maximus: My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

THE STAKES: After Maximus has his entire life ripped from him by Commodus, he faces him for the first time on the floor of the Colosseum. Maximus’ entire existence and the existence of Rome hangs in the balance.

THE RESULT: Maximus strikes fear into the heart of Commodus and gives the Senate, as well as the Roman people, hope that the dream of Rome will one day return.

WHY IT’S MANLY: Defying an evil, unworthy emperor who is driving the world’s greatest empire into the toilet is always manly. Plus, Maximus’ line pulls off the triple crown of revealing that he’s alive, that he’s furious, and that he’ll have his revenge, in this life or the next.

MOVIE: WARRIOR

QUOTE: Frank Campana: Look at me! Look at me! Why are we here, Brendan? Why are we here? Are we here to win this fight? You tell me, ’cause if we’re not, I’ll throw in the towel right now. We’ll get Tess and we will go home. You don’t knock him out, you lose the fight. Understand me? You don’t knock him out, you don’t have a home.

THE STAKES: Brendan, a washed up UFC fighter, is getting pummeled by the greatest mixed martial artist alive in a nationally televised tournament for a ton of cash. He’s been fired from his job, he’s about to lose his house, he’s broke, and he has a wife and child to support. His trainer, Campana, reminds him about everything he is fighting for between rounds.

THE RESULT: Brendan rallies to defeat the incredibly intimidating Koba. No need to give away the ending of the movie for those who haven’t seen it, but needless to say, good things happen for Brendan after this.

WHY IT’S MANLY: With the current state of our economy the way it is, there are a million Brendan’s out there who would kill for the chance to make all their troubles go away in one shot. Brendan has it with this tournament. He is an overwhelming underdog, but he has much more to lose than any other fighter. When his longtime trainer reminds him of what’s at stake if he loses, Brendan rises to the challenge. His winnings will save his house and his family; nothing more manly than that.

MOVIE: PATTON

THE QUOTE: PATTON: Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

THE STAKES: Not to overstate it, but the outcome of World War II was on the line at the time of this quote.

THE RESULT: The United States was not on the losing side of World War II. Patton’s famously gritty and potent rhetoric obviously wasn’t the only thing to lead the US to victory, but it inspired the men who went on to lead the US to victory.

WHY IT’S MANLY: Patton was a controversial leader, to say the least, but he was the leader of the United States Third Army which captured a larger number of enemy prisoners and freed more enemy territory in a shorter time span than any other army to date. You can’t do that without knowing how to light a fire under those in your command. Leading men into battle to defend freedom and the American way is manly no matter how you slice it.

What are your favorite unsung manly movie quotes? Share your picks with us in the comments!
__________________________________

Jon Finkel is the author of The Three Dollar Scholar: Awesome Advice for Acing Life’s Major Decisions and Mindless Debates. He has written for GQ, Men’s Health, ComedyCentral.com, and The New York Times, among other publications. Follow him on Twitter @3dollarscholar or visit www.thethreedollarscholar.com

101 Jamie February 24, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Jebediah Nightlinger: Before he’s about to be hanged by Asa Watts in “The Cowboys”. I regret trifling with married women. I’m thoroughly ashamed at cheating at cards. I deplore my occasional departures from the truth. Forgive me for taking your name in vain, my Saturday drunkenness, my Sunday sloth. Above all, forgive me for the men I’ve killed in anger….. And those I’m about to.

The Duke: also from “The Cowboys”. I’m thirty years older than you are. I had my back broke once, and my hip twice. And on my worst day I could beat the hell out of you.

102 Paul February 24, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Daniel-san (while viewing a karate school poster with the instructor breaking a log with a knife-hand strike): Can you break a log like that?
Mr. Miyagi: Don’t know. Never been attacked by tree.
—The Karate Kid, Part II

In western culture where aggression is the primary display of manliness, the Karate Kid series emphasizes another very manly trait: self-restraint. Being able to pick one’s own battles and act upon one’s priorities and convictions. Throughout the series, Mr. Miyagi teaches Daniel-san that karate is to be used only for self-defense. Fighting is always the last choice to the true martial artist, and furthermore, if one knows his own worth, that’s all that matters. No need to show off or advertize one’s skills. Could Miyagi break a log? Yes, and he did in order to save the life of his sworn enemy Sato during a storm that hit Okinawa leading to reconciliation between the two friends.

103 Ollokot February 25, 2012 at 12:08 am

Frodo: I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
– The Fellowship of the Ring

104 Chris February 25, 2012 at 12:42 am

“I hate to have to tell you this, but whether you like it or not, you’re a man, you’re stuck with it. You’ll find yourself standing your ground and fighting when you ought to run, speaking out when you ought to keep your mouth shut, doing things that will seem wrong to a lot of people, but you’ll do ‘em all the same.”-John Wayne

In the movie The Train Robbers, the men of a small group of gunfighters are holed up in the wreckage of a train when John Wayne delivers this quote. This quote, spoken to the youngest man in the group, emphasizes the responsibility of the man. I enjoy John Wayne in general, but this quote is probably my favorite.

105 steve-o February 25, 2012 at 1:02 am

“Nobody hands me my gun and tells me to run-nobody…” James “Brit” Coburn, Magnificent Seven

106 marik February 25, 2012 at 2:21 am

I always thought that bit from Gladiator was really cheesy. It shouldn’t be on the list.

107 Kevin February 25, 2012 at 3:16 am

Aliens provided some great lines

All right, sweethearts, what are you waiting for? Breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the Corps! A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal’s a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I LOVE the Corps! – Apone

Hey, maybe you haven’t been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal! – Hudson

108 Landan Schaller February 25, 2012 at 4:38 am

Connor MacManus: “How far we gonna take this Dad?”
Noah MacManus: “The question is not how far. The question is: do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?”
From The Boondock Saints. Yeah, I know, not the cleanest movie ever; but it has a lot of high ground in it, and this line is pretty manly. We must never fail to see truth to the end, no matter how inconvenient it is. Erinn Go Bragh!

109 Donato February 25, 2012 at 5:22 am

For his British wit, for resisting peer pressure, for being the ultimate gentleman, from A Man for All Seasons….

The Duke of Norfolk: Oh confound all this. I’m not a scholar, I don’t know whether the marriage was lawful or not but dammit, Thomas, look at these names! Why can’t you do as I did and come with us, for fellowship!
Sir Thomas More: And when we die, and you are sent to heaven for doing your conscience, and I am sent to hell for not doing mine, will you come with me, for fellowship?

110 Bradley Williams February 25, 2012 at 5:41 am

I realize that the movie 300 falls onto the cheesier side of manly movies, but Dilios’ monologue at the end is freaking sweet:

He did not wish tribute, nor song, or monuments or poems of war and valor. His wish was simple. “Remember us” he said to me. That was his hope, should any free soul come across that place, in all the countless centuries yet to be. “May all our voices whisper to you from the ageless stones, “Go tell the Spartans, passerby, that here by Spartan law, we lie.” And so my king died, and my brothers died; barely a year ago. Long I pondered my king’s cryptic talk of victory, but time has proven him wise, for from free Greek to free Greek, the word was spread that bold Leonidas and his 300, so far from home, laid down their lives… not just for Sparta, but for all Greece and the promise this country holds. Now here on this ragged patch of earth called Plateaea, let his hordes face obliteration! Just there the barbarians huddle, sheer terror gripping tight their hearts with icy fingers… knowing full well what merciless horrors they suffered at the swords and spears of 300, yet they stare now across the plane at 10,000 Spartans commanding 30,000 free Greeks… The enemy outnumber us a paltry 3 to 1, a match for any Greek. This day we rescue a world from mysticism and tyranny and usher in a world brighter than anything we can imagine, Give thanks, men, to Leonidas and the brave 300! To victory!

I also love Robin Williams’ monologue in Good Will Hunting:

So if I asked you about art you’d probably give me the skinny on every art book ever written. Michelangelo? You know a lot about him. Life’s work, political aspirations, him and the pope, sexual orientation, the whole works, right? But I bet you can’t tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You’ve never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling. Seen that. If I asked you about women you’d probably give me a syllabus of your personal favorites. You may have even been laid a few times. But you can’t tell me what it feels like to wake up next to a woman and feel truly happy. You’re a tough kid. I ask you about war, and you’d probably, uh, throw Shakespeare at me, right? “Once more into the breach, dear friends.” But you’ve never been near one. You’ve never held your best friend’s head in your lap and watched him gasp his last breath, looking to you for help. And if I asked you about love you probably quote me a sonnet. But you’ve never looked at a woman and been totally vulnerable. Known someone could level you with her eyes. Feeling like God put an angel on earth just for you…who could rescue you from the depths of hell. And you wouldn’t know what it’s like to be her angel and to have that love for her to be there forever. Through anything. Through cancer. You wouldn’t know about sleeping sitting’ up in a hospital room for two months holding her hand because the doctors could see in your eyes that the term “visiting hours” don’t apply to you. You don’t know about real loss, because that only occurs when you love something more than you love yourself. I doubt you’ve ever dared to love anybody that much. I look at you; I don’t see an intelligent, confident man; I see a cocky, scared s***less kid. But you’re a genius, Will. No one denies that. No one could possibly understand the depths of you. But you presume to know everything about me because you saw a painting of mine and you ripped my f***in’ life apart. You’re an orphan right? Do you think I’d know the first thing about how hard your life has been, how you feel, who you are because I read Oliver Twist? Does that encapsulate you? Personally, I don’t give a s*** about all that, because you know what? I can’t learn anything from you I can’t read in some f***in’ book. Unless you wanna talk about you, who you are. And I’m fascinated. I’m in. But you don’t wanna do that, do you, sport? You’re terrified of what you might say. Your move, chief.

111 Shea February 25, 2012 at 5:47 am

The redeeming quote of an OK movie,
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves

Morgan Freeman as Azeem: “England! England! Behold Azeem Edin Bashir Al Bakri! I am not one of you, but I fight! I fight against a tyrant who holds you under his boot. If you would be free men, then you must fight. Join us now! Join Robin Hood!”

112 Jake W February 25, 2012 at 5:53 am

I think maybe in the case of Captain Ramsey from Crimson Tide manliness is being confused with overbearing pig-headedness. He represents some of the most negative male traits and his ‘inspiring’ quote here was as the antagonist in a story where he comes off as less reasonable and easier to dislike than a Soviet nuclear sub commander. His lines, as quoted here, are those of a poor commander, poor listener and poor thinker. He represents blind obedience and tyranny. Seems to me he’s the opposite of what this website is about and has been included just to have a pop at political correctness. If you understand what political correctness is, when executed reasonably and not used as part of a personal agenda, it’s about equality, fairness and not dismissing or insulting people due to personal bias. The kind of man I aspire to be, and which I see many articles about here, is adaptable, approachable and wise. Cpt. Ramsey is none of these.

113 John Taylor February 25, 2012 at 8:10 am

Rev. Sykes: “Miss Jean Louise. Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father’s passing!”

Atticus Finch, in “To Kill a Mockingbird”, was a man.

114 E.G. February 25, 2012 at 8:13 am

John Wayne’s character, Tom, in Red River:

“I’ll send for ya. Will ya come?”

Complete dialog (from http://www.filmsite.org/redr.html)

Fen: Please take me with you. I’m strong. I can stand anything you can.
Tom: It’s too much for a woman.
Fen: Too much for a woman? Put your arms around me, Tom. (They hug and kiss each other.) Hold me. Feel me in your arms. Do I feel weak, Tom? I don’t, do I? Oh, you’ll need me. You’ll need a woman. You need what a woman can give you to do what you have to do. Oh listen to me, Tom. Listen with your head and your heart too. The sun only shines half the time, Tom. The other half is night.
Tom: I’ve made up my mind.
Fen: Oh change your mind, Tom. Just once in your life change your mind.
Tom: I’ll send for ya. Will ya come?
Fen: Of course I’ll come. But you’re wrong.

(The movie implies that Fen dies a few hours later in an attack on her wagon train.)

115 R. Taylor February 25, 2012 at 8:15 am

“I want to be sure he’ll know when he’s chickening out on himself. I want him to get to know exactly the special thing he is or else he won’t notice it when it starts to go.

I want him to stay awake and know who the phonies are, I want him to know how to holler and put up an argument, I want a little guts to show before I can let him go.

I want to be sure he sees all the wild possibilities. I want him to know it’s worth all the trouble just to give the world a little goosing when you get the chance.

And I want him to know the subtle, sneaky, important reason why he was born a human being and not a chair.” —Murray, A THOUSAND CLOWNS

One of my favorite quotes ever.

116 Darren Bush February 25, 2012 at 8:28 am

Jamie — Nightlinger’s quote was even better because of the deadpan way he started at the lynch mob. AWESOME.

My favorite film won best picture the year I was born (1962). Lawrence of Arabia is full of good ones, but my favorite is the speech Auda Adbul Tayi’s when he accused of being a mercenary by a clumsy British officer:

” I carry twenty-three great wounds, all got in battle. Seventy-five men have I killed with my own hands in battle. I scatter, I burn my enemies’ tents. I take away their flocks and herds. The Turks pay me a golden treasure, yet I am poor! Because *I* am a river to my people! ”

Then Auda looks at Lawrence, who manipulated the whole thing, and says “Thy mother mated with a scorpion…”

Powerful film. A must see by every man. It shows the power and frailty of all of us.

117 Joe February 25, 2012 at 8:50 am

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: But it ain’t all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of flying is? Well, I suppose you do, since you already know what I’m about to say.
River Tam: I do. But I like to hear you say it.
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Love. You can learn all the math in the ‘Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don’t love, she’ll shake you off just as sure as a turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she’s hurtin’ before she keels. Makes her a home.
River Tam: Storm’s getting worse.
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: We’ll pass through it soon enough.

…and pretty much everything else that Malcolm Reynolds ever said.

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Y’all got on this boat for different reasons, but y’all come to the same place. So now I’m asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this – they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They’ll swing back to the belief that they can make people… better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin’. I aim to misbehave.

118 Rick February 25, 2012 at 8:54 am

I don’t think you understand, these boys killed my dog.

Bob Lee Swagger Movie: Shooter

119 David Y February 25, 2012 at 9:29 am

“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view, until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.

Atticus Finch “To Kill a Mockingbird”.

@John Taylor, you are right. Atticus was a real man.

120 Matt February 25, 2012 at 9:41 am

Pacino’s “Peace With Inches” speech. Something of a long quote but one of, if not the, best speeches.

121 steve February 25, 2012 at 9:49 am

“Dyin aint much of a livin”
“Buzzards gotta eat same as the worms”

Courtesy of Mr. Josey Wales

122 Charlie February 25, 2012 at 10:35 am

The line from Gladiator that I liked better than the one listed was when Maximus said:
“The time for honoring yourself will soon be at an end.”

123 Jamie Bradley February 25, 2012 at 10:50 am

In “Tombstone”, an unarmed Wyatt Earp (Kurt Russell) confronts a gun-toting bully, repeatedly smacks him in the face and then lays down the manliest line ever:

“You gonna do somethin’? Or are you just gonna stand there and bleed?”

124 Jacob Scherer February 25, 2012 at 11:11 am

From Braveheart:
Robert Bruce: Those men who bled the ground red at Falkirk, they fought for William Wallace, and he fights for something that I’ve never had. And I took it from him when I betrayed him and I saw it in his face on the battlefield, and it’s tearing me apart.

Leprous Father: Well, all men betray. All lose heart.

Robert: I don’t want to lose heart! I want to believe… as he does.
I will never be on the wrong side again.

125 hyunsoung February 25, 2012 at 11:24 am

“What the fuck have you done lately?” – Wanted

126 Brian February 25, 2012 at 11:52 am

Junction Boys:

“I don’t care who your daddy is. I don’t care what kind of all-conference bullshit you were in high school. You play for me now.” – Bear Bryant

127 Tinman February 25, 2012 at 11:59 am

128 Tinman February 25, 2012 at 11:59 am

Jason Bourne: I swear to God, if I even feel somebody behind me, there is no measure to how fast and how hard I will bring this fight to your doorstep.

129 Joshua February 25, 2012 at 12:08 pm

LOTR – Fellowship of the Ring – Mines of Moria – Gandalf and Frodo talking over the dealing of death and self-restraint.

Frodo: “It’s a pity Bilbo didn’t kill him when he had the chance!”

Gandalf:[glancing sharply at Frodo] “Pity? It was pity that stayed Bilbo’s hand. Many that live deserve death, and some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo?”

[Frodo looks down, silently.]

Gandalf:”Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise can not see all ends. My heart tells me that Gollum has some part to play yet, for good or ill…”

Best part is, even though you may have the power to do so, even when all other things may point to it being the best available decision, the very wise among us know the end is not yet in sight and do not lightly give in to the obvious solutions or take the easy way out.

We will all face this in our lives one day. We will all face the obvious choice, but know, deep down, that it is not the only choice to make.

How do we respond?

For me and my house, I will trust in the Lord to light my path.

130 Mat February 25, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I’ve used the quote from Rocky Balboa many times and thought it was just a high quality quote lost in a poor quality sequel. I feel validated that it’s included on this list.

As far as the Gladiator quote is concerned, while it does carry weight and passion worth noting, I find it is too personal of a line to actually use.

131 captcouv February 25, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Two from Kelly’s Heroes:

Oddball – “Have a little faith, baby?’
OK, anachronistic, they didn’t talk that way in WWII, but it sums up confidence is taking on an impossible situation for a perceived gain.

Crapgame – “Make the guy a deal!”
Big Joe – “What kind of deal?”
Crapgame – “A DEAL, deal!”
There’s always a ‘work-around’! (The quote continues on becomes one of the funniest lines ever – “Maybe the guy’s a Republican!” – speaking of the SS Panzer Sergeant [Obersharfurhrer] guarding the town.)

132 Amos Holmes February 25, 2012 at 1:03 pm

This is one of my favorite quotes. It’s from Lonesome Dove. I snagged it off of you tube because it is a lot to explain. Just watch and enjoy as Tommy Lee Jones says: “I hate rude behavior in a man….I won’t tolerate it.”

133 Derek M. February 25, 2012 at 1:41 pm

From Kingdom of Heaven

King Baldwin IV: [Baldwin chuckles] When I was sixteen, I won a great victory. I felt in that moment I would live to be a hundred. Now I know I shall not see thirty. None of us know our end, really, or what hand will guide us there. A king may move a man, a father may claim a son, but that man can also move himself, and only then does that man truly begin his own game. Remember that howsoever you are played or by whom, your soul is in your keeping alone, even though those who presume to play you be kings or men of power. When you stand before God, you cannot say, “But I was told by others to do thus,” or that virtue was not convenient at the time. This will not suffice. Remember that.

134 Phil February 25, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I’ll be honest, before this email came to me I thought I would never watch the last Rocky movie, well that has changed. I am on my way to find a video store(if there are any left) to get the last Rocky film to watch tonight! Don’t stop sending these emails, there are so many freat stories! I LOVE IT! Phil

135 Terrance Layhew February 25, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Stonewall Jackson in Gods and Generals
“Give them the bayonet!”

136 Stephen February 25, 2012 at 3:07 pm

They got one great line from Patton, but the movie ended with an even greater reminder of the tenuous nature of glory. Quoted from Robert Payne’s book “The Roman Triumph.”

For over a thousand years Roman conquerors returning from the wars, enjoyed the honor of triumph, a tumultuous parade. In the procession came trumpeteers, musicians and strange animals from conquered territories, together with carts laden with treasure and captured armaments. The conqueror rode in a triumphal chariot, the dazed prisoners walking in chains before him. Sometimes his children, robed in white, stood with him in the chariot or rode the trace horses. A slave stood behind the conqueror holding a golden crown and whispering in his ear a warning: that all glory is fleeting.

137 Benjamin February 25, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Taken:

“I don’t know who you are. I don’t know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don’t have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that’ll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.”

138 Brucifer February 25, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Its pretty pathetic actually, that we have to look to movie actors playing largely fictional characters, not real men, for our supposedly “manly” quotes. (That I could frankly take issue with many of the supposed “manly examples here, is yet another matter.) Well, at least it isn’t the usual blather about “We got a really good ball club and we’re going out there on the field and givin it 110%” blather from our insipid sports jock *heroes*. Ye Gods, I was born in the wrong century….

139 Erin February 25, 2012 at 4:45 pm

“Boys, you must strive to find your own voice. Because the longer you wait to begin, the less likely you are to find it at all. Thoreau said, “Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.” Don’t be resigned to that. Break out!”

-From Dead Poet’s Society

My husband and I have shared this quote with both our sons when we observe that they’ve been playing it too safe. When they’re so clearly wanting to leap, but afraid to take the risk because they might fail, they might garner disapproval, etc. We don’t want them to live a life of regrets. I think there is nothing more sad than being afraid to live…

140 Corey February 25, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Walt Kowalski: Yeah? I blow a hole in your face and then I go in the house… and I sleep like a baby. You can count on that

Walt Kowalski: You’re wrong, eggroll, I know exactly what I’m talking about. I may not be the most pleasant person to be around, but I got the best woman who was ever on this planet to marry me. I worked at it, it was the best thing ever happened to me. Hands down. But you, you know, you’re letting Click-Clack, Ding-Dong and Charlie Chan just walk out with Miss What’s-her-face. She likes you, you know? Though I don’t know why!

141 John February 25, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Seriously, does anyone here know that “quote” is a verb and “quotation” is a noun?

142 Tommy S. February 25, 2012 at 6:12 pm

MOVIE: NAKED GUN 33 1/3

QUOTE: Frank Drebin ” Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.”

143 Chris February 25, 2012 at 7:15 pm

The scene in the Godfather where Vito Slaps a crying Johnny and yells you can act like a man!!

Also personal favorite line from Coach Carter where they admit their greatest fear.

144 Josiah February 25, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Last night we watched “The Shawshank Redemption” which in addition to being a very good movie offered a some great lines.

One of my favorites:
“Get busy living, or get busy dying.”

145 Josiah February 25, 2012 at 7:31 pm

@Brucifer

It’s true that we often look to fictional “heroes” for our manly inspiration rather than to actual men, but this is not a new thing.

Dating back to the 1500s we have Sir Philip Sidney’s “The Defense of Poesy” in which he, among other things, defends poetry and fictional stories as a useful and important precisely because they are teaching tools. They show us the ideal – a perfection that cannot exist in the real world, but which we aspire to nevertheless.

Even the ancient Greeks used their poems for this reason. The Iliad and Odyssey weren’t written simply as entertaining stories. They were didactic poems, meant to inspire and teach. They showed Greek boys what it meant to be ideal Greek men.

So yes, I agree that we need real-life examples, but don’t discount fiction as a good source of inspiration or example.

Besides, this site is full of wonderful, and true, examples of manliness.

146 David Y February 25, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Ilsa: When I said I would never leave you.
Rick: And you never will. But I’ve got a job to do, too. Where I’m going, you can’t follow. What I’ve got to do, you can’t be any part of. Ilsa, I’m no good at being noble, but it doesn’t take much to see that the problems of three little people don’t amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world. Someday you’ll understand that.
[Ilsa lowers her head and begins to cry]
Rick: Now, now…
[Rick gently places his hand under her chin and raises it so their eyes meet]
Rick: Here’s looking at you kid.

147 Ryan Dunphy February 25, 2012 at 9:57 pm

not actually from a movie…but one of my favorite quotes…
“It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, “Peace! Peace!” — but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! “— Patrick Henry, 1775

148 Ryan Dunphy February 25, 2012 at 10:09 pm

If I had to choose from a movie… Fight Club…
“Reject the basic assumptions of civilization, especially the importance of material possessions.”

149 Rick February 25, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Movie: The Searchers

Ethan Edwards: We’ll find ‘em in the end, I promise you. We’ll find ‘em sure as the turnin’ of the Earth.

Movie: Red River

Hank Worden’s character: Plantin’ and readin’! Plantin’ and readin’! Why, after fillin’ a man full of holes, do you try to read the Almighty in as a partner on the job?

150 Mark February 25, 2012 at 11:27 pm

From ‘Passed Away’:
Bob Hoskins’ character’s daughter is in labor, and the father has just arrived…
Johnny: Who are you?
Tom: I’m the father of her child.
Johnny: Well, hold her hand and don’t let go no matter what she calls you.

151 Aaron February 25, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Bogart from In a Lonely Place:
I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me.

152 Mark Anderson February 25, 2012 at 11:42 pm

From “Midnight Run.”

DeNiro to Grodin: “I’ve two words for you, “shut-the-fuck-up.”

Why it’s manly: Certainty of purpose.

153 Mike February 25, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Though it’s not from a movie and it’s Victor Hugo’s narration instead of something an actual character said, a line that has helped me through some pretty tough times comes from Les Miserables:

“The pupil dilates in the night, and at last finds day in it, even as the soul dilates in misfortune, and at last finds God in it.”

154 Mike February 26, 2012 at 12:06 am

Scar Face: “I come to this country with two things, my word and my balls.”

155 Bruce Kendall February 26, 2012 at 12:22 am

From the movie Little Giants – Its all about not giving up!
Danny O’Shea: [When the Giants, losing at the half, want to be put on the injured list] You know, there is something you guys should know… when I was 10 years old, I put myself on the injured list. I never got off.
Timmy Moore: Why?
Danny O’Shea: Cause I didn’t get picked a few times, so I started hiding under the bleachers.
Marcus: That’s where we belong, under the bleachers.
Danny O’Shea: No you don’t. You guys belong out there with those Cowboys. You know how I know that? Because I belong out there with my brother.
Rudy Zolteck: Give us a break, coach. You could never beat Kevin O’Shea at *anything*!
Danny O’Shea: That’s not true. I did beat him once.
Jake Berman: When?
Danny O’Shea: When we were kids. We used to race our bikes down Cherry Hill every day after school. We raced every day and he always beat me, but one time, one time… I beat him.
Jake Berman: You beat Kevin down Cherry Hill?
Danny O’Shea: Yes, I did. He ate my dust.
Johnny Vennaro: Big deal. One time.
Tad: You know, one time at Randy Cooper’s swim party, I did a backflip off the high dive, and my brother chickened out.
Marcus: Roger chickened out? He’s a Marine!
Rudy Zolteck: Ah, that’s nothing! One time at the spring carnival, I beat both of my brothers in the Cow Dung Toss.
Tad: You beat Matt and Brett in the turd toss?
Jake Berman: You know, one time I went fishing with my entire family, and I was the only one that didn’t throw up.
Marcus: So, what? It still doesn’t make us good football players.
Danny O’Shea: Well, wait a second, guys. Who said you had to be good to play football? You play football because you want to. You play football because it’s fun. You play football so you could pretend you’re Joe Montana throwing a touchdown pass, or Emmitt Smith going for a long run. And even if those Cowboys are better than you guys, even if they beat you 99 times out of 100, that still leaves…
Tad: One time.
Rudy Zolteck: One time.
Junior Floyd: [Smiles] Yeah… one time!

156 Mike February 26, 2012 at 12:26 am

Scarface correction:

Tony Montana: All I have in this world is my balls and my word and I don’t break them for no one. Do you understand?

157 Cricket February 26, 2012 at 1:21 am

Nck, from Poolhall Junkies:

“You go around thinking you’re a loser and boy, you’ll become a loser. And pretty soon the only people you’ll be able to beat are those people who think they’re bigger losers than YOU.”

158 Luke February 26, 2012 at 2:47 am

“Of course that’s your contention. You’re a first year grad student. You just got
finished readin’ some Marxian historian — Pete Garrison probably. You’re gonna be
convinced of that ’til next month when you get to James Lemon, and then you’re
gonna be talkin’ about how the economies of Virginia and Pennsylvania were
entrepreneurial and capitalist way back in 1740. That’s gonna last until next
year — you’re gonna be in here regurgitating Gordon Wood, talkin’ about, you know,
the Pre-revolutionary utopia and the capital-forming effects of military mobilization…
Wood drastically — Wood drastically underestimates the impact of social distinctions
predicated upon wealth, especially inherited wealth.’ You got that from Vickers,
‘Work in Essex County,’ page 98, right? Yeah, I read that too. Were you gonna plagiarize
the whole thing for us? Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter? Or do you…
is that your thing? You come into a bar. You read some obscure passage and then pretend…
you pawn it off as your own idea just to impress some girls and embarrass my friend? See,
the sad thing about a guy like you is in 50 years you’re gonna start doin’ some thinkin’
on your own and you’re gonna come up with the fact that there are two certainties in life.
One: don’t do that. And two: You dropped a hundred and fifty grand on a fuckin’ education
you coulda’ got for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library.”
- Will Hunting, Good Will Hunting

I like this quote simply because it puts an idiot in his place. Will Hunting was an arrogant man, but he stood by his friends. He knew exactly what he was and (in an odd way) showed some humility when he tried to avoid demonstrating his talents.

Though it’s not a movie, I also like:
“With the first link a chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought
forbidden, the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably. …
The first time any man’s freedom is trodden on, we’re all damaged.”
- Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation, “The Drumhead”

And from a comic book:
“When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your
job is to plant yourself like a tree besides the river of truth, and tell
the whole world “No. You move.”
- Captain America

159 nikhil February 26, 2012 at 3:12 am

Sam from Ronin: Lady, I never walk into a place I don’t know how to walk out of.

160 Nicholas February 26, 2012 at 6:02 am

From Saving Private Ryan: “Earn this… Earn it.”

161 Sean R February 26, 2012 at 8:08 am

Achilles: [to his men] Myrmidons! My brothers of the sword! I would rather fight beside you than any army of thousands! Let no man forget how menacing we are, we are lions! Do you know what’s waiting beyond that beach? Immortality! Take it! It’s yours!

162 Sean February 26, 2012 at 9:08 am

From the 2009 “Star Trek,” Captain Pike is the only one that sees the potential in a young, recently ass-kicked Kirk. He gives him the speech that all dads eventually give their sons, you can coast through life…you you can do something extraordinary.

Captain Pike (to a delinquent, young James Kirk) – “Look, so your Dad dies. You can settle for a less than ordinary life, or do you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special? Enlist in Starfleet…Riverside Shipyard. Shuttle for new recruits leaves tomorrow morning, 0800. [pause] Now, your father was captain of a Starship for 12 minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother’s and yours. I dare you to do better.”

163 Dan P February 26, 2012 at 9:40 am

@ Joe — yeah those quotes from Mal are pretty good. One of my favourites was when an alliance commander makes a comment about the Serenity.

Alliance Commander: “Seems odd you’d name your ship after a battle you were on the wrong side of.”

Mal: “May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.”

164 Gary Brownstein February 26, 2012 at 10:19 am

Remember The Titans
Bertier: Listen, I’m Geery, you’re Julius. Let’s just get some particulars and get this over with.
Big Ju: Particulars? Man, no matter what I tell you, you ain’t never gonna know nothing about me.
Bertier: Listen, I ain’t running any more of these three-a-days
Big Ju: Well, what I’ve got to say, you really don’t wanna hear ‘cuz honesty ain’t too high upon your people’s priorities.
Bertier: Honesty? You want honesty? Honestly, I think you’re nothing. Nothing but a pure waste of God-given talent. You don’t listen to nobody, man! Not even Doc or Boone! Shiver push on the line everytime and you blow right past ‘em! Push ‘em, pull ‘em, do something! You run over everyone in this league, and everytime you do you leave one of your teammates hanging out to dry, me in particular!
Big Ju: Why should I give a hoot about you, huh? Or anyone else out there? You wanna talk about the ways you’re the captain?
Bertier: Right.
Big Ju: You got a job?
Bertier: I’ve got a job.
Big Ju: You been doing your job?
Bertier: I’ve been doing my job.
Big Ju: Then why don’t you tell your white buddies to block for Rev better? Because they have not blocked for him worth a blood nickel, and you know it! Nobody plays. Yourself included. I’m supposed to wear myself out for the team? What team? Nah, nah what I’m gonna do is look out for myself and I’ma get mine.
Bertier: See man, that’s the worst attitude I ever heard.
Big Ju: Attitude reflects leadership, captain.

I believe those last few lines really do reflect the concept of leadership.

165 caleb February 26, 2012 at 10:21 am

I feel there are a lot of manly quotes in the movie Black Hawk Down. There are 3 off the top of my head.

166 jrobertlysaght February 26, 2012 at 10:38 am

Again and again I am impressed with how good Rocky Balboa was. After those middle films that got so silly, that quote brings it all right back down to earth.

Now, if I might, one of my favorite exchanges comes from a female friend. In Say Anything, John Cusack won’t call the girl that dumped him, and friend Lily Taylor is challenging him. He says me won’t swallow his pride basically “I’m a guy.” and she responds with “Don’t be a guy. The world’s full of guys. Be a man.”
Always loved that.

167 Dr. Prepper February 26, 2012 at 10:44 am

My all time favorite (although I really like the Patton one too) is the character Tuco in The Good, The Bad and the Ugly after he blows away the guy in the bathtub scene:

“If you’re going to shoot, SHOOT! Don’t talk.”

168 revkelly February 26, 2012 at 11:01 am

It’s not a quote or quotation, but in The Last Samurai, just before the big battle scene, Captain Algren walks out of the house wearing the armor of the man he killed in battle, and Ujio is waiting for him. Ujio is the highly skilled swordsman, second in command, and does not suffer fools easily. He is harsh, but in his own way, fair. When Algren appears in that red armor, Ujio gives him what every man in that camp would gladly have paid everything they own to get: his approval. No words are spoken in this scene, and none are needed.

Words can hold the iron that is found in the simple nod of approval from a real man.

169 Brook February 26, 2012 at 11:11 am

“It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard everybody would do it. The hard is what makes it great.” – Tom Hanks as Jimmy Duggan in ‘A League of Their Own’

170 David February 26, 2012 at 12:58 pm

That cute Disney Miracle quote is nice, but the only thing Herb Brooks actually said before that game was “You were born to be a player. You were meant to be here. This moment is yours.” (A side note, the only thing he said before the gold medal game against Sweden: “If you lose this game you’ll take it to your grave…your f***ing grave.”)

171 Steve LeBoutillier February 26, 2012 at 1:32 pm

How could you publish a list of manly movie quotes and not quote William Wallace’s inspirational speech in Braveheart?
“They may take our lives but they will never take our FREEDOM!”

172 Bryan February 26, 2012 at 3:29 pm

This is a conversation that I had with my father while in the middle of my business studies several years ago (I was the first in my family to go to a top university).

Me: I don’t know what is wrong with the d*mn unions at GM and Chrysler.
My Father: They may need to temper there expectations a little bit, but they’re working class men Bryan, just like me.
Me: Dad, you make $150,000 a year.
My Father: I do now, but I didn’t always. I started a welder son, blue collar blood runs through your veins. Never forget that. You were made to work hard, and you are, at least partially, where you are because of the sacrifices that the working class men in your family made before you. Never judge these men before you walk a mile in their shoes.

173 Awesome Abe February 26, 2012 at 5:17 pm

“Its time to kick the tires, and light the fires…I feel the need…THE NEED FOR SPEED!!!” -Top Gun

174 Dirk-Jan February 26, 2012 at 5:21 pm

There are a couple of darn manly quotes in The Ghost and the Darkness:

Charles Remington: We have an expression in prize fighting: “Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.” Well my friend, you’ve just been hit. The getting up is up to you.

John Patterson: Well then you go too, you lack the courage to lead. Go! Tell all your men to go. But I will kill the lions and I will build the bridge. And you? You must go home and tell the wives of the men who died here that you fled with the others because you could not master your fear.

Mahina: You know, I also have killed a lion.
Angus Starling: How many shots did you need?
Mahina: I used my hands.

Charles Remington: Oh, you’re right. The devil has come to Tsavo. Look at me! I am the devil.

175 Tom February 26, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Dr. MacGuire: What is to be done? (about the death and suffering of war).
Stonewall Jackson: We must kill them, sir. Kill every last man of them.

This black-flag attitude was shared by Sherman on the other side. Sometimes that’s what’s required and I admire the guts it takes to go there. I don’t see that as a easy place to get to.

176 Tom February 26, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Batman Begins
Prisoner: “You’re in hell little man, and I’m the devil.”

Bruce Wayne: “You’re not the devil. You’re practice.”

177 John February 26, 2012 at 5:49 pm

“I can’t swim.”

“Swim? Hell, the fall will probably kill ya!”

Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid

178 Alex February 26, 2012 at 7:54 pm

“Who is it you think you see? Do you know how much I make a year? I mean, even if I told you, you wouldn’t believe it. Do you know what would happen if I suddenly decided to stop going in to work? A business big enough that it could be listed on the NASDAQ goes belly-up. Disappears! It ceases to exist without me. No, you clearly don’t know who you’re talking to, so let me clue you in: I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM THE DANGER. A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me? No. I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.”
- Bryan Cranston
as Walter White
in Breaking Bad

179 Chris February 26, 2012 at 8:00 pm

‘Unsung Manly Movie Quotes for Every Occasion
MOVIE: Crimson Tide”
You can’t be serious. CURSING IS MANLY? SAD! I never found anything manly in cursing. This pick was totally disappointing. It takes a man not to curse. Any stupid fool can curse. I expect more professionalism form the art of Manliness. I would not approve of my son cursing or anyone teaching him that this behavior is manly. I will not be sharing this site with him.
Chris

180 Matthew February 26, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I’d have to say the most manly quote i’ve ever heard in a movie would be The Shawshank Redemption.
“Get busy living or get busy dying.”
It actually changed my life, believe or not. And on that note, Andy Dufresne is a good example of a man, he uses his skill to help those he can and never gives up on his objective

181 Edwin Leap February 26, 2012 at 9:32 pm

My wife always says this to me. It’s from Jeremiah Johnson. Johnson points to himself and says this to his new Indian bride, The Swan:
‘Mighty hunter, fine figure of a man. That is all you need to know.’

Also love the line in Last of the Mohicans when Duncan is berating Hawkeye:

‘How is it that you’re going to Kantuckee when there’s a war on?’
‘Well, you go South and real sudden like turn right.’

182 David February 26, 2012 at 9:48 pm

“I’ve been a so called hero and a coward, and I can tell you there isn’t the thickness of sheet of paper between them.” – Jim in Lord Jim

183 David February 26, 2012 at 9:59 pm

“Hemingway once wrote, all true stories end in death. Well, this is a true story.” – Narration at the beginning of Brain’s Song

184 Gary February 26, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I’ve got a better one from “Batman Begins”, when Michael Caine (Alfred) reminds Christian Bale (Bruce Wayne) what Bruce’s father used to say:

“Why do we fall down? So that we may learn to pick ourselves back up.”

185 R February 26, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Yul Brenner: Look in the mirror, and tell me what you see!
Junior Bevill: I see Junior.
Yul Brenner: You see Junior? Well, let me tell you what I see. I see pride! I see power! I see a bad-ass mother who don’t take no crap off of nobody!

186 Joe February 27, 2012 at 12:00 am

John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
“I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people and I expect the same from them.”

187 Leon February 27, 2012 at 4:06 am

Then out spake brave Horatius the captain of the gate
“To every man upon this earth death cometh soon or late,
And what way to die better than facing fearful odds,
for the ashes of our fathers and the temples of our gods”

I know its not a movie but I’ve always loved that line. Its about courage,duty, and sacrafice while facing almost certain death

188 Shea February 27, 2012 at 5:31 am

An overlooked quote from Gladiator that deserves an honorable mention.
Connie Neilson as Lucilla eulogizing Maximus: “Is Rome worth one good man’s life? We believed it once. Make us believe it again. He was a soldier of Rome. HONOR HIM.”

189 Frank February 27, 2012 at 5:39 am

From The Last Samurai:
Katsumoto : You have seen many things
Algren: I have.
K: You do not fear death but sometimes you wish for it, is this no so?
A: …Yes.
K: I also. It happens to a man, who has seen what we have seen. And then, I come to this place of my ancestors, and I remember. Like these blossoms, we are all dying. To know life in every breath, every cup of tea, every life we take… the way of the warrior.
A: Life in every breath…
K: That is. Bushido!
A: Hai (yes).

190 Ken February 27, 2012 at 6:16 am

John Keating “Dead Poets Society”

“They’re not that different from you, are they? Same haircuts. Full of hormones, just like you. Invincible, just like you feel. The world is their oyster. They believe they’re destined for great things, just like many of you, their eyes are full of hope, just like you. Did they wait until it was too late to make from their lives even one iota of what they were capable? Because, you see gentlemen, these boys are now fertilizing daffodils. But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? – - Carpe – - hear it? – - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary.”

191 Michael February 27, 2012 at 7:37 am

Hey! That’s a truly great piece. Lot’s of inspirational speeches for the times you feel down and look for something to get you up and fighting again.

But there is a typo in my favorite manly (and motivational) movie quote. Rocky is supposed to say “It’s about how hard you can get “”H”"it …”.

Keep up the good work!

Michael

192 Jason February 27, 2012 at 9:22 am

Manly movie quotes? Let’s go with a few real life quotes.

“Retreat? Hell, we just got here!”
- Captain Lloyd L Williams, USMC

“Come on, you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?”
- SgtMaj. Dan Daly, USMC

“Remember, you are the 1st Marines! Not all the Communists in Hell can overrun you!”
- LtGen. Lewis B. “Chesty” Puller, USMC

193 John Thompson February 27, 2012 at 9:32 am

One fine poem, incorporated in the soundtrack at the end of “The Dogs of War”

These in the day of heaven’s falling
The hour when the Earth’s foundations fled
Followed their mercenary calling
Took their wages and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended
They stood and Earth’s foundations stay
What God abandoned, these defended
And saved the sum of things, for pay.

Houseman’s ‘Epitaph on an Army of Dead Mercenaries”, a tribute to the men of the Regular British Army in August 1914.

194 Peregrine John February 27, 2012 at 12:58 pm

“Arise, arise, Rider’s of Theoden ! Spears will be shaken, shields splintered. A sword day, a red day and the sun rises. Ride now! Ride now! Ride for ruin and for the end of the world. Death! Death! Death! Forth Eorlingas!” – Theoden, The Return of the King

195 LH February 27, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Outlaw Josey Wales

“Are you gonna pull them pistols, or whistle Dixie?”

196 Mark D February 27, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Two of my favorite manly quotes from my favorite manly (and unsung) movie, Secondhand Lions:

“Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. That people are basically good; that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything; that power and money, money and power mean nothing; that good always triumphs over evil; and I want you to remember this, that love… true love never dies. You remember that, boy. You remember that. Doesn’t matter if it’s true or not. You see, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in. ”

“I’m Hub McCann. I’ve fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and tanks. I’ve seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I’ve won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN and loved only one woman with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That’s who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY! ”

If you’ve never seen that movie, SEE IT. Robert Duvall and Michael Caine, how can it NOT be great?

197 Ezra February 27, 2012 at 2:27 pm

This is from a Versus commercial and it gives me a gut check every time I think about it.

“Whether or not you win this thing, you got to decide how your gonna walk out of here when its all said and done. Because the game is going to go on, and theirs only one rule your going to need to know about. There are no second chances. There is only this moment, and the next one. Every one of those moments is a test that you get to take one time, and only one time. So if you see an opening tear into it. If you get a shot at victory make damn sure you take it. Seize that moment! That moment is a cross roads, where everything you want will collide with everything standing in your way. You got momentum at your back fear and doubt are thundering like a freight train straight at you. And all you got, the only difference between making history and being history. The only thing, the only thing your can count on at any given moment is YOU. Its you versus them. You versus no. You versus can’t. You versus next year, last year, statistics, excuses. You versus history. You versus the odds. Its you versus second place. Clock is ticking, lets see what you got.”

198 Frank February 27, 2012 at 3:28 pm

And what about this very ancient one, found on the battlefield of Thermopylae and heard at the end of 300:

“Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
That here, by Spartan law, we lie.”

199 Bill Buppert February 27, 2012 at 3:39 pm
200 Richard February 27, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I haven’t seen many of the referenced movies, but I note that many of the quotations can be found in this (tongue in cheek) compilation by Matt Belinkie:

With regards to the “St Crispin’s Day” speech mentioned above, the speech itself is by no means “unsung” – but I believe the finest rendition of it is in the otherwise unremarkable movie “Renaissance Man”:

(Lesson: Manliness isn’t just a matter of physical toughness, one also needs an awareness of and an appreciation for our cultural heritage)