Unsung Manly Movie Quotes for Every Occasion

by A Manly Guest Contributor on February 24, 2012 · 283 comments

in Movies, Travel & Leisure

Editor’s note: This is a guest post by Jon Finkel.

“I’ll be back.”

“You’ve got to ask yourself one question: ‘Do I feel lucky?’ Well, do ya, punk?”

“Are you gonna bark all day, little doggie, or are you gonna bite?”

These are just a few common manly movie lines that you won’t be seeing on this list. This isn’t to say that the above lines aren’t manly–they most certainly are–but they’re manly in a tough guy, show-offy kind of way. If the character never said those lines, and simply, in the case of The Terminator, came back, or in the case of Dirty Harry, took care of the bad guy without saying a word, the story would not have suffered. It might have been less cool, but the outcome of the event and the movie would have remained the same.

In honor of the upcoming Oscars, this list of manly movie quotes honors those lines and/or speeches that not only are pivotal to the outcome of the movie, but also have manly implications in the real world and offer ways to deal with children, adversaries, evil, and groupthink. In no particular order:

MOVIE: Miracle

QUOTE: Herb Brooks: Great moments are born from great opportunity. And that’s what you have here tonight, boys. That’s what you’ve earned here, tonight. One game. If we play’em 10 times, they might win 9. But not this game. Not tonight. Tonight we skate with them. Tonight we STAY with them… , and we SHUT THEM DOWN because we can! Tonight, we are the greatest hockey team in the world. You were born to be hockey players, Every one of ya. You were meant to be here tonight. This is your game. THEIR TIME IS DONE! IT’S OVER! I’m sick and tired of hearin’ about what a great hockey team the Soviets have. SCREW ‘EM! This is your time, now go out there and take it!

THE STAKES: At the height of the Cold War, the underdog USA Hockey team has an opportunity to take out the nearly unbeatable Russian squad in the Olympics.

THE RESULT: This speech sparked the fire that led Team USA to beat the hated Russians.

WHY IT’S MANLY: Could anything have been manlier in 1980 than defeating Communism in its national pastime on a world stage? It might be hyperbolic to say that Herb Brooks’ speech led to the win that led to the United States’ confidence that led us to believe we could win the Cold War, but then again, it might not be. The “nine times out of ten” line is the ultimate manly motivator for anyone facing long odds.

MOVIE: Planet of the Apes (original)

QUOTE: George Taylor: Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!

THE STAKES: In the upside down world of this movie, apes are the dominant species and humans are treated like slaves. That is, until Charlton Heston showed up.

THE RESULT: The apes were forced to acknowledge the potential intelligence of humans, and it turned their upside down world, well, upside down.

WHY IT’S MANLY: What could possibly be manlier than speaking out for all of mankind? This line established Taylor as a man to fear and made certain apes question everything they believed in. Sometimes, when you can’t take it anymore, you have to speak out and put it all on the line.

MOVIE: ROCKY BALBOA

QUOTE: Rocky Balboa: I’d hold you up to say to your mother, “this kid’s gonna be the best kid in the world. This kid’s gonna be somebody better than anybody I ever knew.” And you grew up good and wonderful. It was great just watching you, every day was like a privilege. Then the time come for you to be your own man and take on the world, and you did. But somewhere along the line, you changed. You stopped being you. You let people stick a finger in your face and tell you you’re no good. And when things got hard, you started looking for something to blame, like a big shadow. Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place and I don’t care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now if you know what you’re worth then go out and get what you’re worth. But ya gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody! Cowards do that and that ain’t you! You’re better than that! I’m always gonna love you no matter what. No matter what happens. You’re my son and you’re my blood. You’re the best thing in my life. But until you start believing in yourself, ya ain’t gonna have a life. Don’t forget to visit your mother.

THE STAKES: After all Rocky has been through, he is watching his son grow up to be a finger-pointing coward. Rocky’s kid, like many in his generation, wants to blame everyone else for his lot in life instead of his own actions and choices. Rocky can’t watch his son go down that road.

THE RESULT: Rocky gets his son to believe in himself and to understand the value of taking responsibility and being your own person.

WHY IT’S MANLY: Nothing more manly than teaching your son how to be a man.

MOVIE: Crimson Tide

QUOTE: Capt. Ramsey: Mr. Hunter, we have rules that are not open to interpretation, personal intuition, gut feelings, hairs on the back of your neck, little devils or angels sitting on your shoulder. We’re all very well aware of what our orders are and what those orders mean. They come down from our Commander in Chief. They contain no ambiguity. Hunter: Captain… Capt. Ramsey: Mr. Hunter. I’ve made a decision. I’m Captain of this boat. NOW SHUT THE F*CK UP!

THE STAKES: An armed United States nuclear submarine may or may not have been given orders to launch its missiles and start World War III. Captain Ramsey, played by Gene Hackman, believes he has orders in hand, while his second in command, Hunter, played by Denzel Washington, does not. Hackman, like any man in charge, will not tolerate insubordination. While losing your cool is rarely manly, it is occasionally necessary to let people know who the boss is.

THE RESULT: Captain Ramsey forces Hunter into mutiny, which leads to a drawn out battle of wills over whether or not the sub has orders to launch. In the end, the order was not given and WWIII was avoided, but Ramsey’s bulldog leadership style makes the Navy rethink their nuclear launch strategy.

WHY IT’S MANLY: With the fate of the world hanging in the balance, Captain Ramsey will not accept any dissent in the ranks. While many of us have dealt with difficult colleagues, Ramsey doesn’t have to worry about being politically correct on a nuclear sub. He says what many of us would like to in our own version of this event, only he does it to defend the orders he has to effectively end the world as we know it. Having the courage to believe in convictions on that level is nothing short of manly.

MOVIE: Gladiator

QUOTE: Maximus: My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

THE STAKES: After Maximus has his entire life ripped from him by Commodus, he faces him for the first time on the floor of the Colosseum. Maximus’ entire existence and the existence of Rome hangs in the balance.

THE RESULT: Maximus strikes fear into the heart of Commodus and gives the Senate, as well as the Roman people, hope that the dream of Rome will one day return.

WHY IT’S MANLY: Defying an evil, unworthy emperor who is driving the world’s greatest empire into the toilet is always manly. Plus, Maximus’ line pulls off the triple crown of revealing that he’s alive, that he’s furious, and that he’ll have his revenge, in this life or the next.

MOVIE: WARRIOR

QUOTE: Frank Campana: Look at me! Look at me! Why are we here, Brendan? Why are we here? Are we here to win this fight? You tell me, ’cause if we’re not, I’ll throw in the towel right now. We’ll get Tess and we will go home. You don’t knock him out, you lose the fight. Understand me? You don’t knock him out, you don’t have a home.

THE STAKES: Brendan, a washed up UFC fighter, is getting pummeled by the greatest mixed martial artist alive in a nationally televised tournament for a ton of cash. He’s been fired from his job, he’s about to lose his house, he’s broke, and he has a wife and child to support. His trainer, Campana, reminds him about everything he is fighting for between rounds.

THE RESULT: Brendan rallies to defeat the incredibly intimidating Koba. No need to give away the ending of the movie for those who haven’t seen it, but needless to say, good things happen for Brendan after this.

WHY IT’S MANLY: With the current state of our economy the way it is, there are a million Brendan’s out there who would kill for the chance to make all their troubles go away in one shot. Brendan has it with this tournament. He is an overwhelming underdog, but he has much more to lose than any other fighter. When his longtime trainer reminds him of what’s at stake if he loses, Brendan rises to the challenge. His winnings will save his house and his family; nothing more manly than that.

MOVIE: PATTON

THE QUOTE: PATTON: Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

THE STAKES: Not to overstate it, but the outcome of World War II was on the line at the time of this quote.

THE RESULT: The United States was not on the losing side of World War II. Patton’s famously gritty and potent rhetoric obviously wasn’t the only thing to lead the US to victory, but it inspired the men who went on to lead the US to victory.

WHY IT’S MANLY: Patton was a controversial leader, to say the least, but he was the leader of the United States Third Army which captured a larger number of enemy prisoners and freed more enemy territory in a shorter time span than any other army to date. You can’t do that without knowing how to light a fire under those in your command. Leading men into battle to defend freedom and the American way is manly no matter how you slice it.

What are your favorite unsung manly movie quotes? Share your picks with us in the comments!
__________________________________

Jon Finkel is the author of The Three Dollar Scholar: Awesome Advice for Acing Life’s Major Decisions and Mindless Debates. He has written for GQ, Men’s Health, ComedyCentral.com, and The New York Times, among other publications. Follow him on Twitter @3dollarscholar or visit www.thethreedollarscholar.com

1 Brandon February 24, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Two of my favorites from an underrated movie(The Replacements)

Eddie Martel: This doesn’t change anything Falco! I’m still an All-Pro quarterback with two Superbowl rings. You’ll never be anything more than a replacement player.

Shane Falco: Yeah. Yeah, I can live with that.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory… lasts forever.

-Shane Falco

2 Father Lee February 24, 2012 at 12:20 pm

From Kenneth Branagh’s “Henry V”:
Dauphin: For the Dauphin, I stand here for him. What to him from England?
Exeter: Scorn and defiance, slight regard, contempt and any thing that may not misbecome the mighty sender, doth he prize you at. Thus says my king.

3 Anders February 24, 2012 at 12:20 pm

You are the hunters, you are the predators, taliban is the prey, TO VALHAL! HURRA!

4 Dan February 24, 2012 at 12:22 pm

These aren’t unsung quotes. Gladiator is one of the most oft quoted guy flicks of this generation.
Patton? That’s a classic speech.

I usually hate the neighsayer on these kinds of articles. Just change the title a little. other than that, awesome.

That Replacement’s quote is definitely an unsung epic win.

5 Ken February 24, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don’t you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can’t think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you’re supposed to read? Do you think every thing you’re supposed to think? Buy what you’re told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you’re alive. If you don’t claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler.

6 TedBike3000 February 24, 2012 at 12:27 pm

“Cut me Mick” -Rocky Balboa

7 David February 24, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Nothing from The Godfather trilogy? AoM, I am disappoint!

Johnny Fontane: A month ago he bought the rights to this book, a best seller. The main character is a guy just like me. I wouldn’t even have to act, just be myself. Oh, Godfather, I don’t know what to do, I don’t know what to do…

Don Corleone: YOU CAN ACT LIKE A MAN!

Later in the same scene:

Don Corleone: Tell me, do you spend time with your family?
Johnny Fontane: Sure I do.
Don Corleone: Good. Because a man who doesn’t spend time with his family can never be a real man.

8 DJ Wood February 24, 2012 at 12:30 pm

9 WarHawk February 24, 2012 at 12:34 pm

“Ah, the riddle of steel, you know it. Shall I tell you the answer? It is flesh! what is the sword compared to the hand that wields it” Thulsa Doom-Conan
I know this isnt an unsung movie, but I still like the quote

10 DJ Wood February 24, 2012 at 12:34 pm

*do something

11 Pete February 24, 2012 at 12:37 pm

My personal favorite (which I wish every manager/executive/leader understood).
Braveheart:
“Men don’t follow titles….they follow courage”!

12 Tom Gold February 24, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Great collection Jon, will never forget seeing the Gladiator scene for first time. What about the scene in Red Ocotober when Capt Ramius tell his officers that he’s ‘announced our intention to defect…’

13 Bill February 24, 2012 at 12:40 pm

There are a few from The Replacements:
Shane Falco: I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn’t be our style. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory… lasts forever.

and..

Jimmy McGinty: Listen up! By this time tomorrow the strike will be officially over and you men will be out of a job. Up until now Dallas hasn’t been afraid of you, and they should be because you have a powerful weapon working for you. There is no tomorrow for you, and that makes you all very dangerous people!

and
Shane Falco: I want the ball.
Jimmy McGinty: Winners always do.

From The Wild Bunch:
Pike Bishop: He gave his word.
Dutch Engstrom: He gave his word to a railroad.
Pike Bishop: It’s his word.
Dutch Engstrom: That ain’t what counts! It’s who you give it *to*!

and

Pike Bishop: We’re not gonna get rid of anybody! We’re gonna stick together, just like it used to be! When you side with a man, you stay with him! And if you can’t do that, you’re like some animal, you’re finished! *We’re* finished! All of us!

I’m sure I’m forgetting others.

14 Chuck February 24, 2012 at 12:43 pm

from Rocky II just before the final round and Rocky’s face looks like it has slid half-way down his skull:

Apollo Creed: “You’re going down this round”
Rocky: “Nu-unh, no way”

15 Jared February 24, 2012 at 12:45 pm

“My father gave his life, making this country what it is. Murdered by the British with all of his men on the twenty fifth of July, anno domini, 1814. Do you think I’m going to help you befoul his legacy, by giving this country over to them, what’s had no hand in the fighting for it? Why, because they come off a boat crawling with lice and begging you for soup.”-William Cutting

To me this shows his true belief and conviction in what it means to be a man of his country and what it takes to be one.

16 JB February 24, 2012 at 12:45 pm

“That’s not why I rode.”
The Man From Stony River

17 Nick February 24, 2012 at 12:50 pm

President James Marshall – Air Force One: “Get Off My Plane.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOUoNy7EmPA

18 JHenderson February 24, 2012 at 12:52 pm

In the movie Wyatt Earp, Nicholas Earp tells young Wyatt that there are evil men who will do vicious things to people and they don’t care who gets hurt. “When you find yourself in a fight with such viciousness, hit first if you can. And when you do hit, hit to kill.”

19 Kevin Templeton February 24, 2012 at 12:52 pm

MOVIE: Lord of the Rings: Return of the King

THE QUOTE: Aragorn: Sons of Gondor, of Rohan–my brothers!–I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day, we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, men of the West!

THE STAKES: Frodo and Sam are in the heart of the realm of Mordor, attempting to bring the One Ring to the volcano, Mt. Doom, the one place where the awesome evil power of Sauron can be unmade. This army of men, which cannot trust a hope that it will survive a battle with the great hosts of Mordor, stands at the great Black Gate. They must fight to distract the Eye of Sauron, giving Frodo and Sam the chance they need to reach Mt. Doom. If they fail, then all the world will come under Sauron’s sway.

THE RESULT: The feint succeeded, and Frodo and Sam (with intervention from another…) destroyed the One Ring, thus ending Sauron himself.

WHY IT’S MANLY: Aragorn had much to live for – he was the returned king of Gondor. Yet he had the wisdom to know that, though Sauron may not recuperate enough strength to campaign against the world again in Aragorn’s lifetime, he surely would return one day, to the desolation and ruin of all peoples. Aragorn disregarded his own life for a fool’s hope, the only hope, of defeating Sauron, and he inspired the men following him to do so, as well.

20 j risley February 24, 2012 at 12:53 pm

All great quotes, I’d like to add this one from Apollo 13:
NASA Director: This could be the worst disaster NASA’s ever faced.

Gene Kranz: With all due respect, sir, I believe this is gonna be our finest hour.

21 Dan February 24, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Except for the racist bit…l personally like the opening lines from The Departed:

Frank Costello: I don’t want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of me. Years ago we had the church. That was only a way of saying – we had each other. The Knights of Columbus were real head-breakers; true guineas. They took over their piece of the city. Twenty years after an Irishman couldn’t get a fucking job, we had the presidency. May he rest in peace. …[omitted racism]… no one gives it to you. You have to take it.

22 Shawn February 24, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I am a big fan of the whole Rocky Saga. My father used the first movie to teach me about being a man when I was 17. Then about twenty years later when things were getting my father down I used the last movie to remind him what he taught me!!

For another quote, I like this one out of the movie “Shooter”.

“I didn’t start it, but I mean to see it through.”

It reminds me of one of my fathers rules growing up… “If I find out you started a fight, I will kick your a**. And, if I find out you were in a fight and lost, I will kick your a**.”

Taught me not to be a bully and how to handle bullys.

23 Musick February 24, 2012 at 1:03 pm

“0, Brother! Where art thou?”

Delmar: You ain’t no kind of man if you don’t own land.

A manliness that speaks of being a part of the earth and providing for his family from the work of his hands.

24 Musick February 24, 2012 at 1:04 pm

“0, Brother! Where art thou?”
Delmar: You ain’t no kind of man if you don’t own land.

25 tikiboy February 24, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Manly movie quotes and nothing from John Wayne? This joint is going downhill fast. Here’s an unsung quote from an unsung movie, The Cowboys. The Duke is getting ready to fight the much younger Bruce Dern.

Wil Andersen: I’m thirty years older than you are. I had my back broke once, and my hip twice. And on my worst day I could beat the hell out of you.

26 Justin M. February 24, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Quote: Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof!

Stakes: In a dystopian future England, the anti-government crusader V has been trapped by a high-ranking party official and his soldiers.

Result: Despite being shot well over 100 times, V is still standing and alive. He then proceeds to ensure that none of his foes are the same way.

Why it’s manly: V is living for a cause, an ideal that he believes in. He is so dedicated to that ideal that no matter what the odds against him are, he will fight to make it become a reality.

27 Paul Black February 24, 2012 at 1:27 pm

My favorite manly episode wasn’t a quote. In “The African Queen”, Charlie (Humphrey Bogart) and Rose (Katharine Hepburn) are in a boat stranded in reeds. Charlie has to get out and wade chest deep to pull the boat through. He gets back in for a break and is horrified to find he is covered with leeches. After burning off the leeches, his eyes wordlessly pleads with Rose for him not to go back in the water. After a moment of silence, he slips back into the water, almost in tears, to continue hauling the boat to safety.

That is the mark of a true man: to do what must be done, regardless of the personal cost, even when not feeling brave or heroic.

28 Jonesy February 24, 2012 at 1:32 pm

From “The Aviator”

“Howard Hughes: [pensively weighing options] I could do that.
TWA Executive: Do what?
Howard Hughes: Buy it.
TWA Executive: You wanna *buy* the airline?
Howard Hughes: Well why not? We don’t want a bunch of pencil-pushers gettin’ in the way of us makin’ our plane now do we?
TWA Executive: No…
Howard Hughes: [walking away] You call Noel Dietrich. You tell him to start buying!
TWA Executive: [yelling after him in shock] Hang on Howard! You sure you don’t want to stop and think about this for a second?
Howard Hughes: Nope! I’ve got a tiger by the tail here and I’m not about to let go!”

Why? It’s manly to seize opportunity!

29 SEALfan February 24, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Umm… how in God’s name could you leave out Braveheart?

“…they charge the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets…they fought like Scotsmen…and won their freedom” -Robert the Bruce

Maybe you have to be a Scot, but it makes me get all jacked up to this day.

30 Scott Russell February 24, 2012 at 1:40 pm

“Tempt not a despairate man!” Leonardo DiCaprio in “Romeo and Juliet”

31 Stevey D February 24, 2012 at 1:53 pm

What the hell?! You call yourselves guys? Not one person mentioned the greatest man one-liner in the greatest movie of all time? Han to Leia: “I know”.

32 Jake Warner February 24, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Seriously, nothing from any of Liam Neeson’s movies? Every bit of dialogue from “Taken” is so quotable.

33 Shane February 24, 2012 at 2:07 pm

@JB – love that movie!

•”Courage is not a man with a gun in his hand. It’s knowing you’re licked before you begin but you begin anyway and you see it through no matter what. You rarely win, but sometimes you do.” – Atticus Finch (Gregory Peck)

Gregory Peck did one of the most phenominal jobs when he portrayed Atticus Finch, that portrayal has been one of my life models of a true man that I have looked up to for quite a while.

34 Claude February 24, 2012 at 2:10 pm

You watch those nature documentaries on the cable? You see the one about lions? You got this lion. He’s the king of the jungle, huge mane out to here. He’s laying under a tree, in the middle of Africa. He’s so big, it’s so hot. He doesn’t want to move. Now the little lions come, they start messing with him. Biting his tail, biting his ears. He doesn’t do anything. The lioness, she starts messing with him. Coming over, making trouble. Still nothing. Now the other animals, they notice this. They start to move in. The jackals; hyenas. They’re barking at him, laughing at him. They nip his toes, and eat the food that’s in his domain. They do this, then they get closer and closer, bolder and bolder.
Till one day, that lion gets up and tears the shit out of everybody. Runs like the wind, eats everything in his path. Cause every once in a while, the lion has to show the jackals, who he is.
The time for being scared has passed. Its time to be the lion.

Delivered as only Christopher Walken can as the character of Mike in Pool Hall Junkies.

35 Claude February 24, 2012 at 2:15 pm

If you really want “unsung” how about the movie “Angus”. Some very manly quotes in there.

Grandpa: Superman isn’t brave.
Angus: Did you take your pills this morning?
Grandpa: [chuckles] You don’t understand. He’s smart, handsome, even decent. But he’s not brave. No, listen to me. Superman is indestructible, and you can’t be brave if you’re indestructible. It’s people like you and your mother. People who are different, and can be crushed and know it. Yet they keep on going out there every time.

36 JDG February 24, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Aragorn and King Theoden

Fell deeds awake!

Now for wrath,

Now for ruin

And a red dawn

Forth Eorlingas!

37 Ty W February 24, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I’m assuming its on here somewhere but I didn’t see it anywhere. Just a couple of other Braveheart quotes. This one is my favorite though.
“They may take our lives…but they’ll never take…OUR FREEDOM!!!”
or
William’s father to young William:
“I know you can fight. But it’s our wits that make us men.”

38 Jon Finkel (article author) February 24, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Thanks for the great response, guys… A list like this could easily be 50 movies long, so all good suggestions. Great to see The Replacements getting some love here…

DJ Wood “Are you gonna go something, or are you gonna just stand there and bleed?” ~Tombstone

Truly an awesome line. Tombstone probably has 10 of them… Tried to think of quotes that had a purpose other than just sounding tough or cool… And even though Gladiator is hugely quoted, I’ve always felt the line used here is one of the underrated ones in the film.

Twitter: @3dollarscholar

39 John Leonard February 24, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Two from U.S. Marshals

Winning attitude!

Cosmo Renfro: The Great Sam Gerard.
Sam Gerard: Yes, I am.
Cosmo Renfro: And you always have to win.
Sam Gerard: Yes, I do.

Function over style!

Sam Gerard: [looking at Royce's Gun] Got a back-up weapon?
John Royce: Never had the need.
Sam Gerard: Get one.
[hands back Royce's gun]
Sam Gerard: Keep it in your suit unless I tell you to take it out. Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel-plated sissy pistol.

40 Bill February 24, 2012 at 2:39 pm

A few John Wayne quotes, starting with The Cowboys:
Wil Andersen: Well, it’s not how you’re buried, it’s how you’re remembered.

From The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance:
Tom Doniphon: I know those law books mean alot to you, but not out here. Out here a man settles his own problems.

From The Sands of Iwo Jima:
Sgt. Stryker: You gotta learn right and you gotta learn fast. And any man that doesn’t want to cooperate, I’ll make him wish he had never been born.

From Stagecoach:
Henry, the Ringo Kid: Well, there are some things a man just can’t run away from.

41 Sean Grogan February 24, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Re: Crimson Tide

The captain loss control of his temper, his XO, his crew, and his boat. What is manly about that?

42 Sean Grogan February 24, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I am also surprised any given sunday didn’t make the list. It may have been a terrible movie, but the speech was pretty gripping.

43 Thomas February 24, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Charlie Chaplain’s speech at the end of The Great Dictator is brilliant:

Gives me shivers every time.

44 Spencer February 24, 2012 at 3:02 pm

The speech made by the defeated German General near the end of the Band of Brothers miniseries. Not a movie, per se, but a manly speech nonetheless.

45 Eric February 24, 2012 at 3:02 pm

“Get off my lawn” – Mr. Eastwood Gran Torino

46 Brian February 24, 2012 at 3:07 pm

From “The Shawshank Redemption”

Red: Get busy livin’ or get busy dyin’

47 Jon Finkel (article author) February 24, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Sean. I whiffed on Any Given Sunday… “The six inches, in front of your face!!!!” Excellent call. One of my favorite movie speeches ever.

@3dollarscholar

48 Garland MacNeill February 24, 2012 at 3:09 pm

From the Western Shane -

Shane: There’s no living with a killing. There’s no goin’ back from one. Right or wrong, it’s a brand… a brand sticks. There’s no goin’ back.

Shane: A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

49 Wayne February 24, 2012 at 3:16 pm

@Sean, I agree. I don’t understand how the Captain gets the manly award here when it is Hunter who is actually doing the right thing despite his superiors trying to force him to do otherwise. By doing so, he stops WWIII from occurring. I don’t understand how someone who loses control of his temper and his ship by attempting to start a third World War could be considered manly.

50 Linwood February 24, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I think you have forgotten one… “Your “best”!? Losers always whine about their “best”! Winners go home and f*** the prom queen” its the Sean Connery prom queen quote in “The Rock.” Just an awesome quote.

51 Scott Wolfertz February 24, 2012 at 3:20 pm

The 300 Spartans
To King Leonidas from Persian Envoy
“Our arrows will blot out the sun”

King Leonidas response:
“Then we’ll fight in the shade”…..and they did-to the death!

52 Brian February 24, 2012 at 3:45 pm

One of the greatest, manliest film moments ever was from Charlie Chaplain’s “The Great Dictator” (1940).

Watch it here:

53 Mike T. February 24, 2012 at 3:49 pm

From The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly:
“You see, in this world there’s two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.”

54 The Dude February 24, 2012 at 3:59 pm

From The Shootist:
JB Books: I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted and I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people and I expect the same from them.

I don’t know if that goes as “unsung” but I’ve always liked it.

55 Eric February 24, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Matt Saracen on Friday Night Lights:

“My eyes were wide open sir”

56 Browncoats February 24, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Beautiful Lines from an Unsung Movie (Serenity)

Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: But it ain’t all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of flying is? Well, I suppose you do, since you already know what I’m about to say.
River Tam: I do. But I like to hear you say it.
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Love. You can learn all the math in the ‘Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don’t love, she’ll shake you off just as sure as a turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she’s hurtin’ before she keels. Makes her a home.
River Tam: Storm’s getting worse.
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: We’ll pass through it soon enough.

57 Kevin February 24, 2012 at 4:18 pm

From the movie Big Jake after Jacob McCndles just saved the sheep farmer and his son from a lynching, to the lynchers: “you follow him, I’ll hunt ya down and kill ya. Every mothers son of ya”

Hah! Maybe not that “deep” but I love that quote…and so does my wife. :)

58 Stefan February 24, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Christopher Walken’s motivational speech from Poolhall Junkies is priceless!

59 Luke S February 24, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Col. Joshua Chamberlain’s speech from the movie Gettysburg
Always gets me.

60 Luke S February 24, 2012 at 4:20 pm
61 Jake T February 24, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Fight Club: Man, I see in Fight Club the strongest and smartest men who’ve ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see it squandered. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables – slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don’t need. We’re the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We’ve all been raised on television to believe that one day we’d all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars, but we won’t. We’re slowly learning that fact. And we’re very, very pissed off.

62 Hal February 24, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I have about 500, but someone mentioned True Romance, and from that movie there is only one for me, and of course it is Christopher Walken: “That ain’t any kind of fun, but what I have to offer you, that’s as good as it’s gonna get. And it won’t ever get that good again.”

63 Chris Williams February 24, 2012 at 4:43 pm

The best unsung movie quote? Kurt Russell in Tombstone……
“You gonna do something or just stand there and bleed?” Followed by…..
“No need to go heeled to get the bulge on a tub like you.”
Classic.

64 OldFencer February 24, 2012 at 4:50 pm

The Professionals (1966)

Robert Ryan: “You bastard!”
Lee Marvin: “In my case, an accident of birth. But you sir, you are a self made man”.

65 Kevin February 24, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Last of the Mohicans Hawkeye to Cora when he has to leave her to the enemy to save her life:

Hawkeye: No, you submit, do you hear? You be strong, you survive… You stay alive, no matter what occurs! I will find you. No matter how long it takes, no matter how far, I will find you

That’s what real man would do for his woman !

66 Zorro February 24, 2012 at 4:55 pm

From Lawrence of Arabia:

I carry twenty-three great wounds, all got in battle. Seventy-five men have I killed with my own hands in battle. I scatter, I burn my enemies’ tents. I take away their flocks and herds. The Turks pay me a golden treasure, yet I am poor! Because *I* am a river to my people!

–Auda Abu Tayi

67 Grant February 24, 2012 at 4:57 pm

“Kingdom of Heaven”
a Hospitaller Knight explains the true religion (holiness) of a warrior.

68 Joshua February 24, 2012 at 5:03 pm

From “The Count of Monte Cristo”

“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome, “Do your worst, for I will do mine!” Then the fates will know you as we know you: as Albert Mondego, the man!”
-Edmond Dantès

69 RainyDayNinja February 24, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I’m a fan of this one from Secondhand Lions, when a teenage punk asks Robert Duvall’s character who he is:
“I’m Hub McCann. I’ve fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and tanks. I’ve seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I’ve won and lost a dozen fortunes, killed many men, and loved only one woman with a passion a flea like you could never begin to understand. That’s who I am. Now go home, boy!”

70 Bill Len February 24, 2012 at 5:08 pm

From Saving Private Ryan this quote any too many others to mention:
Private Reiben: I’m sorry, sir, but uh… let’s say you weren’t a captain, or maybe I was a major. What would you say then?
Captain Miller: Well, in that case… I’d say, “This is an excellent mission, sir, with an extremely valuable objective, sir, worthy of my best efforts, sir. Moreover… I feel heartfelt sorrow for the mother of Private James Ryan and am willing to lay down my life and the lives of my men – especially you, Reiben – to ease her suffering.”
Mellish: [chuckles] He’s good.
Private Caparzo: I love him.

71 Bill Len February 24, 2012 at 5:16 pm

The Right Stuff. Again too many to list:
Alan Shepard: Sounds dangerous
Recruiter: It is! Extremely dangerous!
Alan Shepard: Count me in!

72 Pat February 24, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Favorite Gladiator quote “Centurion, sometimes the frost makes the blade stick!”

73 Pat February 24, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Favorite quote from Crimson Tide
“Marla, turn your key!”
(Seinfeld reference)

What about Brian’s Song?
“I love Brian Piccolo and I want you to love
him too..”

74 Jay February 24, 2012 at 6:07 pm

One of my favorites is from Mad Max. When Max tells his boss Fifi he is going to quit the Main Force Patrol, Fifi says to him “Hey Max, people say they don’t don’t believe in heroes anymore. I say, Damn them! Let’s give them back their heroes.”

Oh, and I like to yell out that “I am the Night Rider!” from time to time. Remember him when you look up in the night sky.

75 Carl February 24, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Henry V, St Crispin’s Day Speech.
“We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.”

76 Geoffrey Kidd February 24, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Philip of Macedon: If I enter Sparta I will level it to the ground.

Sparta: If.

Gotta love rhetoric like that.

77 Fred B February 24, 2012 at 6:32 pm

The Fugitive

“I didn’t kill my wife!”

“I don’t care.”

Sometimes you just have to do your job and believe that everyone else will do theirs.

78 Cory February 24, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Quotes from two of my favorite movies are not listed, but I feel as if you could select a number of quotes from those two movies that it’s not even funny. So, without further ado…

Jefferson Smith in Frank Capra’s classic “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington” is getting whipped by a political machine and senior Senator Thomas Paine from his home state for standing against them on an issue that goes against his values. The machine gets people in the state to write Washington telling Sen. Smith to step down. Here is how he responds:

“I guess this is just another lost cause Mr. Paine. All you people don’t know about lost causes. Mr. Paine does. He said once they were the only causes worth fighting for and he fought for them once. For the only reason any man ever fights for them. Because of just one plain simple rule. Love thy neighbor. And in this world today of great hatred a man who knows that rule has a great trust. You know that rule Mr. Paine and I loved you for it just as my father did. And you know that you fight harder for the lost causes than for any others. Yes you’d even die for them. Like a man we both knew Mr. Paine. You think I’m licked. You all think I’m licked. Well I’m not licked. And I’m gonna stay right here and fight for this lost cause. Even if this room gets filled with lies like these. And the Taylors and all their armies come marching into this place. Somebody will listen to me.”

My other is from “A River Runs Through It.” This is probably just a footnote in the movie, but for some reason it strikes me in a way I cannot explain. At its core it is a quote about life, beauty, and the hard work it takes to find beauty in life. The older Norman Maclean (Robert Redford) says,

“My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things – trout as well as eternal salvation – came by grace; and grace comes by art; and art does not come easy.”

79 Stefan February 24, 2012 at 6:53 pm

“Overwhelming underdog” sounds like an oxymoron. :P

80 Ian February 24, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Not one most would pick but I feel like it takes a man to say this. It’s from the flick Good Will Hunting:

“Look – you’re my best friend, so don’t take this the wrong way. In twenty years, if you’re still livin’ here, comin’ over to my house to watch the Patriots games, still workin’ construction, I’ll fuckin’ kill you. That’s not a threat; now, that’s a fact. I’ll fuckin’ kill you.”

81 Shane February 24, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I’m disappointed by the Crimson Tide selection. I understand the argument that asserting your authority and doing your duty is manly, but unquestioningly following orders, especially those wiht grave consequences, is not. All sorts of terrible things have happened in history because men followed orders instead of thinking. The actions of Hackman’s character could have ended the world all because he insisted on following a script. The courage to question and stand up against a wrong is the manliness we should celebrate, in my opinion.

82 Eric February 24, 2012 at 7:37 pm

The late night conversation between Lester and William in “Almost Famous”:

Lester Bangs: The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we’re uncool.

William Miller: I feel better.

Lester Bangs: My advice to you. I know you think those guys are your friends. You wanna be a true friend to them? Be honest, and unmerciful.

83 phreebie February 24, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Boondock Saints:

Connor: How far are we gonna take this, Da?
Il Duce: The question is not how far. The question is, do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far is as needed?

The world is not enough:
James Bond: Yes, well, life is full of small challenges.

The good the bad and the ugly:
Tuco: When you have to shoot, shoot. Don’t talk.

The Godfather: Michael: Fredo, you’re my older brother, and I love you. But don’t ever take sides with anyone against the Family again. Ever.

Summed up as, Do what you have to do, when you have to do it, despite the difficulty, in the service of your family.

84 Jim Cooke February 24, 2012 at 7:44 pm

From As Good As It Gets

How do you write women so well?
“I think of a man, and I take away reason and accountability.”
- Jack Nicholson 1997

85 Ben February 24, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I don’t have any favorite movie quotes; I do, however, have plenty of favorite movie quotations.

For example, I like the quotation, which I now quote:
“Good, bad, I’m the guy with the gun.” – Ash (Bruce Campbell), Army of Darkness.

86 Craig February 24, 2012 at 8:04 pm

“I am man who invented the wheel, and forged the Eiffel Tower from steel… and brawn.”

87 Tad Duncan February 24, 2012 at 8:04 pm

From “Second Hand Lions”

HUB: Here’s a perfect example of what I’ve been talking about. Since this boy was suckling on his mama’s tit, he’s been given everything but discipline. And now his idea of courage and manhood is to get together with a bunch of punk friends and ride around here and intimidate folks too good-natured to put a stop to it.
KID: Hey, who do you think you are, huh?
HUB: Hub McCann. I’ve fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and tanks. I’ve seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I’ve won and lost a dozen fortunes, killed many men, and loved only one woman with a passion a flea like you could never begin to understand. That’s who I am. Now, go home, boy!

88 richard February 24, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Apollo 13

“Failure is not an option.”

89 Tom February 24, 2012 at 9:02 pm

@Dan, Comment 21: as long as you’re omitting derogatory slang from your quote, you could have taken out guinea too – its a slur toward Italians.
Not as offensive, but I think its only fair.

90 Chad Carter February 24, 2012 at 9:18 pm

“I want my money.” Lee Marvin, POINT BLANK

91 Chad Carter February 24, 2012 at 9:23 pm

“I check the list. Rubber tubing, gas, saw, gloves, cuffs, razor wire, hatchet, Gladys, and my mitts.” Mickey Rourke, SIN CITY

92 Chad Carter February 24, 2012 at 9:28 pm

“Okay. You people sit tight, hold the fort and keep the home fires burning. And if we’re not back by dawn… call the president.” Jack Burton, BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA

93 Mike February 24, 2012 at 9:45 pm

You forgot the manliest quote of all:

The movie: Valkyrie
The quote: Col Stauffenberg: “Long Live Sacred Germany”
Why it’s Manly: Even as he stood before the firing squad, he kept his honor and defied evil with his last breath. What man out there can honestly say he would have that kind of courage?

94 James B. February 24, 2012 at 9:49 pm

this one makes me wish they would have finished the speech

95 Bill February 24, 2012 at 9:53 pm

@Shane and others regarding the choice of Crimson Tide.

The Captain of the SSBN has probably the worst job in the world. If he gets the call which is properly authenticated, his training dictates that he must launch the missiles as ordered. The entire system depends on people being put in charge who are willing to a do a job that could very end the world. Its not an easy job and 99% of people eithe wouldn’t want the job or could not do the job.

As they say in the movie, if the message is properly authenticated and complete, it constitutes the launch order. End of discussion. The rightness of wrongness of launching the nukes is province of command authority, in this case the President. This is one of those times when you do not want the person questioning the order. What Hunter does is, by the rules, wrong. Hunter is morally right but by the rules wrong. Why? They do not have an authenticated message countermanding the order. Is that a flaw in the system? It might be. But it is nonethless the system in place to do two things: 1) Make sure that the weapons are launched and 2) make sure that the weapons are ONLY launched when they are supposed to be launched.

Circling back to why Hackman’s character is showing manly characteristics, you have to look at his position. There’s no evidence in the film that he is a psycho or sociopath. He does not want to be the guy to end the world, but he took an oath to obey orders. His orders state that if certain orders are passed in a certain way, then he must do something that no sane person wants to do.

The problem is, he is clearly unhappy about what he has to be done. In the moment when he is giving the orders to launch the missiles, he’s still processing that its going to be his key that is going to launch the missiles. I doubt that anyone relishes that duty. (As an aside, its why most of the time in executions, one of the switches is real and the others are dummy, so that people can do their job easier). If he delivered the line differently, maybe people would look at this quote differently.

Its easier to question the decision than to follow it sometimes.

Anyways, thats my take on the Captain in Crimson Tide.

96 Shane Falco February 24, 2012 at 10:05 pm

The best quote from ‘The Replacements’ is in the closing voice-over:
“Greatness, however brief, stays with a man.”

97 Dale Hanson February 24, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Patton was only controversial to the press and politicians and a few of his bosses, bottomline on Patton: best field commander in WWII period. I meet many men who rolled with Patton and they had/have a level of respect, trust and loyality for him unequaled in the US military. The German High Command had a deep seated fear of going up againist Patton, this fear was inadvertantly passed down to the average german line soldier that many literally pissed their pants and surrendered when facing Patton and the 3rd Army. Patton trained his soldiers right and took care of them, if you ate in a 3rd Army mess hall and we served bologna sandwiches they were on toast, quatered and with a toothpick in each quater. Patton and the 3rd killed and captured more enemy than any other. He was The Man in WWII.

98 Mjhdc February 24, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Mine has to be from “Last of the Mohicans” when Hawkeye confronts Duncan:

“someday you and I are going to have a serious disagreement”

99 Chris February 24, 2012 at 10:17 pm

“Come and get them!”
– 300

100 Stone February 24, 2012 at 10:35 pm

No Country for Old Men:
“You can’t stop what’s coming . . . that’s vanity.”